Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Main Forums > Off Topic
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 02-19-2007, 11:08 PM   #1251
ISiddiqui
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eaglesfan27 View Post
Without a doubt. Although, I disagree with the idea that they are setting him up to be evil. I think they are setting him for a crisis of faith, maybe a dark period, but I'm fairly certain he will end up firmly on the side of "good" once he goes through that.

I hope not. A super-superhero is boring. He's potentially stronger than Sylar in that, if he absorbs Dale's super hearing, he can turn it off, while Sylar cannot. He becomes too powerful, and after Sylar is taken care of, then what?

He probably will be, because he's been set up as a good sort of fellow. Maybe Sylar will continually slip away? I dunno. A super-supervillian is far cooler, because then the heroes have to work together and figure out how to take him down.
Old 02-19-2007, 11:12 PM   #1252
Eaglesfan27
Hall Of Famer

Well, Sylar is already the ultimate super-supervillian. I think he is going to find a way to suppress the hearing issues and that won't be his downfall.
Eaglesfan27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2007, 11:30 PM   #1253
ISiddiqui
Hall Of Famer

But you'd imagine at somepoint they'd have to "get" Sylar or move on (to prevent the show from falling into a rut). True, Jessica/Niki is out there, but she's got super strength it seems and a team of heroes can probably take her on without all the much of a problem (especially if Peter can absorb her super strength).

Last edited by ISiddiqui : 02-19-2007 at 11:30 PM.
ISiddiqui is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2007, 12:04 AM   #1254
Izulde
Head Coach

Quote:
Well, Sylar is already the ultimate super-supervillian. I think he is going to find a way to suppress the hearing issues and that won't be his downfall.

I agree. There's a learning curve with every superpower. Sylar just happens to have a shorter time for controlling them than most because of his own superpower.

Rookie Writer of the Year
Dynasty of the Year: May Our Reign Be Green and Golden (CK Dynasty)
Izulde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2007, 01:14 AM   #1255
Antmeister
Pro Starter

That was pretty neat to see Stan Lee have an appearance in this episode. It's nice to see a number of old school actors and comic book creators get a tribute.
Old 02-20-2007, 01:15 AM   #1256
Mr. Wednesday
Pro Starter

Quote:
Agreed that it was a great episode. I'm enjoying the Jessica/Nikki storyline more the last few weeks. Hiro/Andro are just great. Also, I'm enjoying seeing the side effects of multiple brain wipes on Claire's mom. It makes her vapid nature at the beginning of the show more understandable.
Is it the effect of multiple brain wipes, or did Bennett just not get Mrs. Bennett checked out properly when she got flung into the cabinet?

Thanks to my FOFC Hattrick supporters - Blackout, Brillig, kingfc22, RPI-fan, Rich1033, antbacker, One_to7, ur_land, KevinNU7, and TonyR (PM me if you support me and I've missed you)
Mr. Wednesday is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2007, 01:25 AM   #1257
Mr. Wednesday
Pro Starter

I'm not sure if it was here or another board that I read, but... they're going to have to do something to cancel Peter's ability, or they're going to have to kill him. He's adequately controlled if he needs another super nearby to harness their power, but he's completely overpowered when he can recall it all at will.

Thanks to my FOFC Hattrick supporters - Blackout, Brillig, kingfc22, RPI-fan, Rich1033, antbacker, One_to7, ur_land, KevinNU7, and TonyR (PM me if you support me and I've missed you)
Old 02-20-2007, 01:28 AM   #1258
DougWyatt
H.S. Freshman Team

Yah know. I have never watched this show - and I don't know if it is in any way relevant - prolly not, cuz things usually aren't when I have my buzz on; and I do.

But ..... Heroes is very close to Herpes.
DougWyatt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2007, 01:29 AM   #1259
Eaglesfan27
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Wednesday View Post
Is it the effect of multiple brain wipes, or did Bennett just not get Mrs. Bennett checked out properly when she got flung into the cabinet?

Good point. I just assumed it was from having her mind wiped so many times (like Claire is assuming) but it could be an effect of the subdural hematoma that she suffered.
Old 02-20-2007, 01:48 AM   #1260
sachmo71
The boy who cried Trout

Quote:
I'm not sure if it was here or another board that I read, but... they're going to have to do something to cancel Peter's ability, or they're going to have to kill him. He's adequately controlled if he needs another super nearby to harness their power, but he's completely overpowered when he can recall it all at will.

I was thinking about this during the show tonight, since Peter vs. Sylar is going to beat me down into the ground if they go that route. What could make it cool is if Peter vs. Sylar does indeed cause the destruction of a major city, kicking off a "we hate the freaks" storyline. Nathan even mentions something about it when talking with Simone, and they seem to be adding more interface with the public that there are people with powers out there, like the doctor with Claire. Add Stan Lee giving his blessing to the whole mix, and you have Fall of the Mutants on NBC!
sachmo71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2007, 03:14 AM   #1261
cthomer5000
Strategy Moderator

Good episode, though I knew without a doubt that Simone keeping the key would result in her own death. The setup was a little over the top. I mean, she'd already had a key... they shouldnt have bothered with a second "I dont want the key anymore" scene.
cthomer5000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2007, 03:15 AM   #1262
cthomer5000
Strategy Moderator

Quote:

While that's a good real-world thought, seems like it would be incredibly lame to have that be the reason for Mrs. Bennet's long-term memory issues.
Old 02-20-2007, 05:54 AM   #1263
kurtism
High School Varsity

Re: Peter, I wonder if he is the Heroes analogue to LSH's Ultra Boy - every super-power, but only one at a time. Hard to tell from last night's scene if he did anything other than invisibility after he used the telekenesis; similarly, when HRG and the Haitian attacked, he used time-stop, and then flight.
kurtism is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2007, 07:21 AM   #1264
Raiders Army
Coordinator

So future boy and the guy who absorbed his power couldn't predict that they'd kill the person they both loved? How ironic. I was disappointed that Hiro and Ando went their separate ways, but I have the feeling they'll come back together at some point. The fact that Jessica/Nikki made no appearance last night shows that they could cut her storyline out and still have a great show.
Raiders Army is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2007, 07:27 AM   #1265
TRO
College Prospect

Quote:
Originally Posted by kurtism View Post
Re: Peter, I wonder if he is the Heroes analogue to LSH's Ultra Boy - every super-power, but only one at a time. Hard to tell from last night's scene if he did anything other than invisibility after he used the telekenesis; similarly, when HRG and the Haitian attacked, he used time-stop, and then flight.

I think he was using invisibility still while he used the telekenesis to stop the shots. For now, I would assume that is because he can still use the powers of those close to him involuntarily. For anything else, he has to concentrate on the power.
Old 02-20-2007, 07:48 AM   #1266
Draft Dodger
Coordinator

man, the people in this show sure do travel fast.
Old 02-20-2007, 07:55 AM   #1267
Draft Dodger
Coordinator

btw, new internet chick is hot. and, sorry, Ted is not the caveman

http://www.ew.com/ew/article/0,,20008929,00.html
''For the record,'' he says, ''I am not the Geico caveman.''
Old 02-20-2007, 08:13 AM   #1268
Honolulu_Blue
Hockey Boy

Good stuff last night. I was glad to see Parkman and Ted join up with Internet chick to form their own little super-team. Should be interesting and it's good to get Parkman back involved.

The Simone thing was painfully obvious. From the moment Isaac got the gun and she kept the key, I knew where things were headed. It will be interesting to see what the fallout will be. I don't see Peter veering off into Super Villian hood. Future Hiro treated Peter like a friend/ally.

It was sad to see Ando and Hiro split-up. They must get back together.

For a super-smart scientist guy Mohinder sure is dense.
Steve Yzerman: 1,755 points in 1,514 regular season games. 185 points in 196 postseason games. A First-Team All-Star, Conn Smythe Trophy winner, Selke Trophy winner, Masterton Trophy winner, member of the Hockey Hall of Fame, Olympic gold medallist, and a three-time Stanley Cup Champion. Longest serving captain of one team in the history of the NHL (19 seasons).
Honolulu_Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2007, 08:23 AM   #1269
gi
College Prospect

Quote:
Originally Posted by Honolulu_Blue View Post
The Simone thing was painfully obvious. From the moment Isaac got the gun and she kept the key, I knew where things were headed.

I'm hoping the writers will not beat us over the head with the obvious next time. I'm hoping for surprises and less obvious methods of communicating future events. Still a great episode.

Last edited by gi : 02-20-2007 at 08:24 AM.
gi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2007, 08:30 AM   #1270
Draft Dodger
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by gi View Post
I'm hoping the writers will not beat us over the head with the obvious next time. I'm hoping for surprises and less obvious methods of communicating future events. Still a great episode.

yes. the Simone thing would have been 10,000 times more surprising if they hadn't been running that stupid someone flies, someone dies promo.

my wife surprised the hell out of me when she recognized Stan Lee (I did not).

and, hopefully, we'll see an end to the Star Trek references. It was cute on Sulu's license plate. Now it's just tired.
Old 02-20-2007, 09:03 AM   #1271
ISiddiqui
Hall Of Famer

Quote:

Which is why I speculated that Peter has to turn bad. At least for a little bit. Otherwise, the heroes are incredibly overpowered. Maybe Hiro sees Peter as a friend because that's after he's been turned back to the good side.

Or, Sylar is never caught and Peter spends his time as super-superhero chasing the super-supervillian and a sort of stalemate develops.
Old 02-20-2007, 09:03 AM   #1272
Ryche
College Benchwarmer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Draft Dodger View Post
btw, new internet chick is hot. and, sorry, Ted is not the caveman

http://www.ew.com/ew/article/0,,20008929,00.html
''For the record,'' he says, ''I am not the Geico caveman.''

Stupid Wikipedia lied to me, who would have thought.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Matthew_John_Armstrong

Last edited by Ryche : 02-20-2007 at 09:04 AM.
Ryche is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2007, 09:38 AM   #1273
MikeVic
Head Coach

I guess I was the only one that didn't see the Simone situation being played out in advance. Completely shocked me.

I agree that Mohinder is dense. I mean, Sylar is holding his ears and complaining about headaches at the same time that the super-hearing lady is found dead. Hmm...
MikeVic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2007, 09:49 AM   #1274
Wolfpack
Pro Rookie

Quote:
It will be interesting to see what the fallout will be.

Interesting choice of words given the endpoint of the storylines at the moment.

Another interesting thing to think about with Peter is, hey, he's the brother of a man running for Congress and being present for a homicide (even if accidental) is going to cause some consternation for his brother's campaign and more friction with his brother personally as a result. At the very least one (or both) of them is going to have to answer for Simone's death. The heroes may be going public soon.
Wolfpack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2007, 09:55 AM   #1275
spleen1015
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeVic View Post
I guess I was the only one that didn't see the Simone situation being played out in advance. Completely shocked me.

I didn't see it coming. I thought they were messing with us and the super hearing lady was the person they were talking about.

Yeah, Mohinder is an idiot.
spleen1015 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2007, 10:05 AM   #1276
ISiddiqui
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeVic View Post
I agree that Mohinder is dense. I mean, Sylar is holding his ears and complaining about headaches at the same time that the super-hearing lady is found dead. Hmm...

Not sure about that. I mean Mohinder looked really skeptical before they were going into the hotel rooms. It isn't the brightest idea to accuse Sylar of being who he is when no one else is around after all.
Old 02-20-2007, 10:06 AM   #1277
Swaggs
Coordinator

I think the storyline and pacing of this show is outstanding, but some of the acting is really pretty subpar. I really enjoy the show and it is one of the few that I almost always watch (from Tivo) the same night it is on, but it seems like anyone that works with Parkman (FBI Agent, other cops, his wife) are just terrible actors and Peter Petrelli keeps getting worse and worse.

They need to swipe the casting director from Lost, because regardless of the story on Lost, the acting is always very good.
Swaggs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2007, 10:27 AM   #1278
Bearcat729
College Benchwarmer

Great episode. Loved the Stan Lee cameo
Old 02-20-2007, 11:16 AM   #1279
Eaglesfan27
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by ISiddiqui View Post
Not sure about that. I mean Mohinder looked really skeptical before they were going into the hotel rooms. It isn't the brightest idea to accuse Sylar of being who he is when no one else is around after all.

I agree with this. I think Mohinder is VERY suspicious at this point, but is also scared that he would be killed if he came out with his suspicions.
Old 02-20-2007, 11:42 AM   #1280
Toddzilla
Pro Starter

My wife and I were calling the wireless lady T-Mobile. I hope that doesn't catch on.
Toddzilla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2007, 11:46 AM   #1281
Toddzilla
Pro Starter

Quote:
For a super-smart scientist guy Mohinder sure is dense.
Welcome to the series, HB!
Toddzilla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2007, 12:13 PM   #1282
ISiddiqui
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
I agree with this. I think Mohinder is VERY suspicious at this point, but is also scared that he would be killed if he came out with his suspicions.

And he's probably right to think that. This may lead to an alliance of some sorts with the HRG (who can protect him if he outs Sylar).
Old 02-20-2007, 12:24 PM   #1283
gottimd
Dearly Missed
(9/25/77-12/23/08)

Quote:
Originally Posted by ISiddiqui View Post
And he's probably right to think that. This may lead to an alliance of some sorts with the HRG (who can protect him if he outs Sylar).

And Mohinder could help convince HRG that Peter is not as evil as HRG thinks he is. I wonder if Peter would, if they meet again, remember Sylar by appearance.
In memory of Gavin Anthony: 7/22/08-7/26/08
gottimd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2007, 03:24 PM   #1284
cthomer5000
Strategy Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Swaggs View Post
it seems like anyone that works with Parkman (FBI Agent, other cops, his wife) are just terrible actors and Peter Petrelli keeps getting worse and worse.

So i'm not the only one who noticed this? He's really trying to hard recently. He worked fine when he was a low-key character, but now it's just a little painful.
Old 02-20-2007, 03:52 PM   #1285
ISiddiqui
Hall Of Famer

Meh... good acting in a series like this is overrated .
Old 02-20-2007, 04:42 PM   #1286
klayman
College Benchwarmer

Quote:

Does anybody other than HRG know that Sylar is actually taking the other powers? I haven't seen any indication that Mohinder knows that this is even possible.
klayman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2007, 05:08 PM   #1287
Travis
Pro Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by klayman View Post
Does anybody other than HRG know that Sylar is actually taking the other powers? I haven't seen any indication that Mohinder knows that this is even possible.

Could be wrong, but I'm guessing Peter and Claire at least suspect (as well as the Haitian). I want to say that Parkman had some thoughts about it, but I'd have to rewatch the episode where he finds the little girl to see if anything was said or not.

Anybody else curious how the interaction will go between HRG and the Haitian next time they're alone, or will HRG chalk it up to his daughter's power that her mind didn't stay wiped? I hope it's addressed in some form and not glossed over.
Travis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2007, 10:16 PM   #1288
Daimyo
College Starter

What was up with Hiro and Ando getting saved? At first it looked like Hiro stopped time, but then it seemed like there was more to it. Time seemed to rewind only for the girl and the bullet, but not the agent and then the car was in perfect condition. Seemed like the whole thing surprised Hiro too.

Last edited by Daimyo : 02-20-2007 at 10:17 PM.
Daimyo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2007, 10:19 PM   #1289
Daimyo
College Starter

DOLA, I agree that super Peter will be very boring as a hero. They need to either introduce some significant weakness(es) for him, convert him to a villain, or have him sacrifice himself to save the world. Unchecked he's just too powerful to be a good guy.
Daimyo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2007, 10:38 PM   #1290
MikeVic
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daimyo View Post
What was up with Hiro and Ando getting saved? At first it looked like Hiro stopped time, but then it seemed like there was more to it. Time seemed to rewind only for the girl and the bullet, but not the agent and then the car was in perfect condition. Seemed like the whole thing surprised Hiro too.

Yeah, I noticed that too. Maybe he can pick and choose which "areas" to affect, and how to affect them?
Old 02-20-2007, 10:45 PM   #1291
duckman
Pro Starter

I don't think Peter is going to be an equal to Sylar. Peter has to use his memory to trigger his abilities while Sylar can recall his on a whim. That makes Sylar much more powerful than Peter. Also, it takes a lot out of Peter to absorb powers while Sylar doesn't weaken at all. I would suspect that there will several sects of superheros at first before merging into one group to fight Sylar because Peter will not be able to take him on alone.
“One of the consequences of such notions as "entitlements" is that people who have contributed nothing to society feel that society owes them something, apparently just for being nice enough to grace us with their presence.”
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alexis de Tocqueville
“Democracy and socialism have nothing in common but one word, equality. But notice the difference: while democracy seeks equality in liberty, socialism seeks equality in restraint and servitude.”
duckman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2007, 11:00 PM   #1292
Eaglesfan27
Hall Of Famer

I don't think Hiro was surprised. I think he was genuinely oblivious to what he did. It certainly looked like he rewound time for a second or two for just the bullet and gun. He obviously is struggling with control of his power (which is good, because if he didn't I think he would be a hero that would truly be overpowered.)
Old 02-20-2007, 11:07 PM   #1293
ISiddiqui
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by duckman View Post
I don't think Peter is going to be an equal to Sylar. Peter has to use his memory to trigger his abilities while Sylar can recall his on a whim. That makes Sylar much more powerful than Peter. Also, it takes a lot out of Peter to absorb powers while Sylar doesn't weaken at all. I would suspect that there will several sects of superheros at first before merging into one group to fight Sylar because Peter will not be able to take him on alone.

No, Peter doesn't have to use his memory. Remember when the Invisible guy was beating him with a stick and he called up Sylar's telekinesis from no where and didn't really know where it came from? Same with Claire's healing power. He didn't think, he just called it up when it was needed.

Part of Peter controlling the power is to be able to call it up on a whim. And another part is that in controlling his power he won't tire by absorbing other powers.
Old 02-21-2007, 07:35 AM   #1294
wade moore
lolzcat

Quote:
I don't think Hiro was surprised. I think he was genuinely oblivious to what he did. It certainly looked like he rewound time for a second or two for just the bullet and gun. He obviously is struggling with control of his power (which is good, because if he didn't I think he would be a hero that would truly be overpowered.)

I drew a parrallel to Peter with this scene with Hiro... When his life was going to end, he found control over his powers that he didn't know he had.. not only was he able to regain his powers, but use them to new extents.

I think we're merely seeing what powers he's capable of, but he clearly does not have control over it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Subby
Maybe I am just getting old though, but I am learning to not let perfect be the enemy of the very good...
wade moore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2007, 08:38 AM   #1295
Huckleberry
College Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Easy Mac View Post
Of course, 20 years ago, she would have been completely useless.

Her power would be incredibly useful for intercepting enemy transmissions in wartime. She mentioned she can also intercept radio waves. That makes her useful for most of the last century.

The Barking Carnival (Longhorn-centered sports blog)
College Football Adjusted Stats and Ratings

Last edited by Huckleberry : 02-21-2007 at 08:38 AM.
Huckleberry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2007, 08:42 AM   #1296
gottimd
Dearly Missed
(9/25/77-12/23/08)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Huckleberry View Post
Her power would be incredibly useful for intercepting enemy transmissions in wartime. She mentioned she can also intercept radio waves. That makes her useful for most of the last century.

Useless? Wait til we meet the hero that can turn anything less than 5lbs into corkboard. Or the one with the fast growing fingernails.

I am just kidding, but wanted to point that out before I get yelled at for Spoilers eventhough these aren't true. Wait...then am I spoiling the fact that we won't see these heroes?
In memory of Gavin Anthony: 7/22/08-7/26/08
gottimd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2007, 09:20 AM   #1297
MikeVic
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by gottimd View Post
Useless? Wait til we meet the hero that can turn anything less than 5lbs into corkboard. Or the one with the fast growing fingernails.

I am just kidding, but wanted to point that out before I get yelled at for Spoilers eventhough these aren't true. Wait...then am I spoiling the fact that we won't see these heroes?

Screw you! I thought they'd take a page out of Family Guy and have a hero with the fast growing nails!

Sharp nails can hurt!
Old 02-21-2007, 02:47 PM   #1298
Mr. Wednesday
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by duckman View Post
I don't think Peter is going to be an equal to Sylar. Peter has to use his memory to trigger his abilities while Sylar can recall his on a whim.
Peter's use of his powers seemed effortless enough when he escaped Bennett and the Haitian, and when he was in Isaac's apartment.

Heck, he used one that I'm not even sure I recognized... when he told Isaac "don't lie to me!", there was an echo to his voice, was that Eden's "power of voice", or was it something else?

Last edited by Mr. Wednesday : 02-21-2007 at 02:48 PM.
Old 02-21-2007, 03:50 PM   #1299
wade moore
lolzcat

Quote:
Peter's use of his powers seemed effortless enough when he escaped Bennett and the Haitian, and when he was in Isaac's apartment.

Heck, he used one that I'm not even sure I recognized... when he told Isaac "don't lie to me!", there was an echo to his voice, was that Eden's "power of voice", or was it something else?

It sounded like Eden's power, but didn't really manifest itself that way.. and it would be interesting since Sylar didn't have Eden's power when Peter came in contact with him - but Eden was out there in the woods.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Subby
Maybe I am just getting old though, but I am learning to not let perfect be the enemy of the very good...
wade moore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2007, 04:02 PM   #1300
Easy Mac

I just assumed it was an aggregation of his powers. I'm not sure if he ever met Eden. I know Sylar has a tendency to have his voice "echo" and he never got Eden's power.
Easy Mac is offline   Reply With Quote