Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Main Forums > Off Topic
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

View Poll Results: How is Obama doing? (poll started 6/6)
Great - above my expectations 18 6.87%
Good - met most of my expectations 66 25.19%
Average - so so, disappointed a little 64 24.43%
Bad - sold us out 101 38.55%
Trout - don't know yet 13 4.96%
Voters: 262. You may not vote on this poll

Old 12-19-2010, 08:21 AM   #12601
Peregrine
Pro Starter

I'm really glad this finally got passed. Liberals have given Lieberman all kinds of shit for his antics in recent years but no doubt he stood tall and pushed this one through, even in a lame duck session with other bills to consider. Glad to see eight Republicans voting with the Dems, also.

Peregrine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2010, 08:43 AM   #12602
sterlingice
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flasch186 View Post
With Jon's feelings about trying to reduce the population you'd think he'd be for teh gay. The hypocrisy of it all.

That's "decrease the surplus population", Flasch! Geez, get your Christmas quotes right

SI

Janos: "Only America could produce an imbecile of your caliber!"
Freakazoid: "That's because we make lots of things better than other people!"

sterlingice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2010, 05:11 PM   #12603
Galaxy
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonInMiddleGA View Post
I'll bite on this one, just briefly though.

Free will generally allows for anyone to be capable of pretty much anything.
Being capable of conceiving something doesn't equate to "God put this in my head".

For an example, I can quite easily conceive, say, mass homicide. If I act on that impulse, do you blame me or God?

Are you comparing the notion of one committing mass homicide to one being a homosexual?

If we are all free, how is homosexuality still "wrong"? How is loving another person "wrong"?

Last edited by Galaxy : 12-19-2010 at 05:12 PM.
Galaxy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2010, 07:17 PM   #12604
Crapshoot
Grizzled Veteran

Why do people continue to take Jon seriously? This is a guy who thinks the South was right in the Civil War for god's sake. He's perfectly useful talking about advertising (where he knows a heck of a lot) - politics, its like talking to your racist, 175 year old great-grandpa.
Crapshoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2010, 09:18 PM   #12605
panerd
Grizzled Veteran

It makes them feel good about being liberal, they can paint any opposition to Democrats as JiMGA and feel good about themselves. "Who could possibly think like him? Republicans! Har har har"
panerd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2010, 09:23 PM   #12606
JPhillips
Hall Of Famer

Aah, irony.
Old 12-19-2010, 09:32 PM   #12607
sterlingice
Hall Of Famer

Just like being libertarian allows one to point to any decision and go "hey, my guys didn't do something that stupid" because you have, well, nobody on the field?

Again, I always equate it to indie band fans: "I hate U2 because Bono sells out. The Lace Disco Bears (Alcides Escobar anagram) are where it's at!" It's easy to say everyone else sucks when you don't have to defend your picks.

SI

Last edited by sterlingice : 12-19-2010 at 09:32 PM.
Old 12-19-2010, 09:48 PM   #12608
panerd
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by sterlingice View Post
Just like being libertarian allows one to point to any decision and go "hey, my guys didn't do something that stupid" because you have, well, nobody on the field?

Again, I always equate it to indie band fans: "I hate U2 because Bono sells out. The Lace Disco Bears (Alcides Escobar anagram) are where it's at!" It's easy to say everyone else sucks when you don't have to defend your picks.

SI

Not true. I just choose not to engage Jon and his ridiculous viewpoints. When he basically says nuke em as the solution to the Arab problem (or quite frequently anyone with a different viewpoint) why does the conversation need to go any farther? Come on, I like to think that I take the conversation a little deeper than that. You may not agree with me, I don't agree with a lot of the liberal crowd on here but they have thought out viewpoints. He is just a bigot. But I don't think a lot of people on here engage him looking for any sort of debate, they just like to laugh and think he is the typical conservative. That's what my comment meant. Never said you or even JPhillips (who is quick to pile on me for some reason). But there are people who continue to take his bait and allow him to spew his venomous garbage. And like someone said above he seems to be quite knowledgeable about marketing among many other things. His persona is political threads are a bit over the top.
Old 12-19-2010, 09:57 PM   #12609
JPhillips
Hall Of Famer

Just to be clear, I'm quick to pile on anyone who goes down the road of, "Look how stupid all of those X are for stereotyping."
Old 12-19-2010, 09:59 PM   #12610
DaddyTorgo
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by panerd View Post
Not true. I just choose not to engage Jon and his ridiculous viewpoints. When he basically says nuke em as the solution to the Arab problem (or quite frequently anyone with a different viewpoint) why does the conversation need to go any farther? Come on, I like to think that I take the conversation a little deeper than that. You may not agree with me, I don't agree with a lot of the liberal crowd on here but they have thought out viewpoints. He is just a bigot. But I don't think a lot of people on here engage him looking for any sort of debate, they just like to laugh and think he is the typical conservative. That's what my comment meant. Never said you or even JPhillips (who is quick to pile on me for some reason). But there are people who continue to take his bait and allow him to spew his venomous garbage. And like someone said above he seems to be quite knowledgeable about marketing among many other things. His persona is political threads are a bit over the top.

Not that I'm under the impression that he cares or even reads it or whatever, but I'm just sick of letting him spew his bigoted venomous garbage without offering the counterpoint.

If one doesn't confront a bigot and point out his bigotry to him then one is complicit in allowing it to a degree.

He needs to be called on his hateful bullshit every so often (not all the time, that'd be just tiresome), but he needs to be called on it.
Old 12-19-2010, 10:01 PM   #12611
panerd
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by JPhillips View Post
Just to be clear, I'm quick to pile on anyone who goes down the road of, "Look how stupid all of those X are for stereotyping."

That's fine I was just explaining what I saw to be the reason why some people respond to him in a serious way. Some people make fun of him, some ignore him, some actually try to debate him. Can't imagine any reason one would debate someone who often calls for the extermination of his rivals. It must make people feel good about themselves was what I came up with. ("Maybe I can change him?" being the other option, but nobody is that foolish are they?)
Old 12-19-2010, 10:07 PM   #12612
JPhillips
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
That's fine I was just explaining what I saw to be the reason why some people respond to him in a serious way. Some people make fun of him, some ignore him, some actually try to debate him. Can't imagine any reason one would debate someone who often calls for the extermination of his rivals. It must make people feel good about themselves was what I came up with. ("Maybe I can change him?" being the other option, but nobody is that foolish are they?)

I agree that it's pointless to engage Jon. However, framing it as proof of liberal elitism is just garbage IMO. I'd imagine people engage others in this thread for a variety of reasons and trying to find generalizations about all Dems or GOPers or Libertarians based on a few posts is a fool's errand.

edit: rereading that it came off harsher than I intended. I'd just encourage everyone to resist the easy stereotyping of those we disagree with.

Last edited by JPhillips : 12-19-2010 at 10:08 PM.
JPhillips is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2010, 06:29 PM   #12613
JPhillips
Hall Of Famer

Fuckers. From the Washington Post.

Quote:
Overall, congressional payroll expenses have climbed much faster than the civilian federal work force costs that lawmakers are now clamoring to freeze. Many of the most vocal federal critics have overseen growth that rivals or outstrips the executive branch's, according to data from Legistorm, a website that tracks congressional salaries. For example:

- Firebrand Republican Michele Bachmann of Minnesota has for months pushed legislation to freeze what she calls "unconscionable" federal salaries. Meanwhile, her own payroll jumped 16 percent between 2007, when she came to Congress, and 2009.

- Rep. Jason Chaffetz, the Utah Republican set to chair the House subcommittee overseeing the federal work force, says Washington must "figure out how to do more with less." But the freshman lawmaker gave his own employees an average raise of about 9 percent this year.

- Sen. Tom Coburn, R-Okla., who has long criticized federal pay, has overseen an average jump of 8 percent per year in his office employee costs between 2006, his first full year in the Senate, and 2009.
Old 12-21-2010, 11:43 AM   #12614
JPhillips
Hall Of Famer

Census apportionment data for the next decade.

Texas +4, FL +2, AZ, GA, NV, SC, UT, WA +1

NY -2, OH -2, IL, IA, LA, MA, MI, MS, NJ, PA -1.
Old 12-21-2010, 12:05 PM   #12615
lordscarlet
Pro Starter

Quote:
Census apportionment data for the next decade.

Texas +4, FL +2, AZ, GA, NV, SC, UT, WA +1

NY -2, OH -2, IL, IA, LA, MA, MI, MS, NJ, PA -1.

DC increases it's population for the first time since Truman was President. We are up to 601,000.

Our Congressional representation remains the same.

"...the better half of the Moores..." -cthomer5000
lordscarlet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2010, 12:12 PM   #12616
Passacaglia
Coordinator

To be fair, if you'd been decreasing in population, then increased for the first time in a while, you wouldn't expect Congressional representation to increase, unless it fell during that population decline -- and I don't think that happened.
Passacaglia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2010, 12:22 PM   #12617
ISiddiqui
Hall Of Famer

I think he's referring to the fact that D.C. Congressmen are non-voting.
Old 12-21-2010, 12:24 PM   #12618
Passacaglia
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by ISiddiqui View Post

Me too. I guess I can't find an emoticon with tongue-in-cheek, so I chose tongue sticking out.
Old 12-21-2010, 12:39 PM   #12619
JPhillips
Hall Of Famer

By my count that's seven free electoral votes for the GOP in the next three presidential elections.
Old 12-21-2010, 12:51 PM   #12620
Passacaglia
Coordinator

Quote:
By my count that's seven free electoral votes for the GOP in the next three presidential elections.

I'd put the GOP up 6 (TX+4, GA+1, SC+1, UT+1, MS-1) and the Dems down 2 (WA+1, NY-2, NJ-1).
Old 12-21-2010, 01:05 PM   #12621
lordscarlet
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Passacaglia View Post
To be fair, if you'd been decreasing in population, then increased for the first time in a while, you wouldn't expect Congressional representation to increase, unless it fell during that population decline -- and I don't think that happened.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ISiddiqui View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by Passacaglia View Post
Me too. I guess I can't find an emoticon with tongue-in-cheek, so I chose tongue sticking out.

Yes, just me stepping on to my soapbox. (and I understood that Pass "got it")

Old 12-21-2010, 02:53 PM   #12622
Galaxy
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveBollea View Post
Of course, it's also important to remember that most of these states that are losing representatives aren't losing population, they're simply just not growing as fast as other states and are losing representation because 435 is this magic number that _must_ _not_ change evar~!.

How would the allocation of % of votes/seats turn out any different with any other number?
Old 12-21-2010, 03:33 PM   #12623
DaddyTorgo
Hall Of Famer

This made me LOL (from John Cole):

I know this topic has been beaten to death, but Barbour’s comment still stuns me:

In interviews Barbour doesn’t have much to say about growing up in the midst of the civil rights revolution. “I just don’t remember it as being that bad,” he said.
Everyone seems to be focusing on the Citizen Council and the other race hate groups of the day, but for me, but when I hear him say it wasn’t that bad, I just can’t get past wanting to scream “BECAUSE YOU’RE FUCKING WHITE, ASSHOLE.”

Sweet jeebus. The Holocaust wasn’t that bad for Hitler, either. Until the very end.

Last edited by DaddyTorgo : 12-21-2010 at 03:33 PM.
DaddyTorgo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2010, 04:39 PM   #12624
DaddyTorgo
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Yeah, white rich Southern guy in white privilege shocker.

Yep. I just found Cole's response particularly LOL-worthy.
Old 12-21-2010, 04:40 PM   #12625
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
And like someone said above he seems to be quite knowledgeable about marketing among many other things. His persona is political threads are a bit over the top.

Just for the record, I think you've got it kind of backwards re: persona. The political threads are the closest "real me" you get.

When it comes to, say, marketing, it's much easier to be dispassionate because it's largely straight out of the book or even more typically just passing along some useful resource I've found or whatever. I mean, I could easily enough answer someone's question about the number of Senators in Congress as that's simple fact requiring no interpretation nor. Ask me who those Senators should be & you get to something that involves me rather than a simple number.
Old 12-21-2010, 07:59 PM   #12626
Galaxy
Coordinator

Quote:
If Congress grew in size (like it did until the start of 20th century) and gained seats for every x people it grew by, each state would simply gain in seats if they grew and wouldn't lose seats simply because they didn't grow fast enough.

Congress added seats and votes when it admitted new states. We're not doing that now.

The House and votes would still be apportioned based on each state's share of the country's population.

Last edited by Galaxy : 12-21-2010 at 08:02 PM.
Old 12-21-2010, 08:02 PM   #12627
Grammaticus
Pro Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by lordscarlet View Post
Yes, just me stepping on to my soapbox. (and I understood that Pass "got it")

You are right and wrong. I think it takes about 710K headcount per rep. So D.C., if they were a state would still be in the less than or equal to one rep., similar to Wyoming. Every state is guaranteed one rep. minimum. I guess that means it would take about 1,420,000 to get two reps.

So even if you were an actual state that got voting reps., your number of reps still would not have changed.

For now, you still get your shadow rep. and the wasted cost it takes in upkeep.
Grammaticus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2010, 08:05 PM   #12628
Grammaticus
Pro Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Galaxy View Post
Congress added seats and votes when it admitted new states. We're not doing that now.

The House and votes would still be apportioned based on each state's share of the country's population.

Sure, but you would have something like one rep. per 35K people. Just think of how that would reduce the level of corruption in lobbying. You would have to buy off about 20 times more poeple. That is pretty cost prohibitive. Not to mention time prohibitive, etc.
Grammaticus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2010, 09:44 PM   #12629
bigdawg2003
High School Varsity

Don't be too sure about those extra seats in Texas being GOP locks.

At least one of them will be in the Central Texas area, which is routinely an oasis of blue in a sea of red on electoral maps by party. Also, much of the population growth in Texas has also been in the traditionally Democrat-voting Hispanic and African-American sectors.

That being said, the supermajority-holding GOP will be drawing the new district lines in 2011, and if history is any guide, there will be some funkily-carved out districts.
Old 12-21-2010, 09:47 PM   #12630
RomaGoth
Favored Bitch #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grammaticus View Post
Sure, but you would have something like one rep. per 35K people. Just think of how that would reduce the level of corruption in lobbying. You would have to buy off about 20 times more poeple. That is pretty cost prohibitive. Not to mention time prohibitive, etc.

I think you are underestimating lobbyists.
RomaGoth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2010, 08:52 AM   #12631
lordscarlet
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grammaticus View Post
You are right and wrong. I think it takes about 710K headcount per rep. So D.C., if they were a state would still be in the less than or equal to one rep., similar to Wyoming. Every state is guaranteed one rep. minimum. I guess that means it would take about 1,420,000 to get two reps.

So even if you were an actual state that got voting reps., your number of reps still would not have changed.

For now, you still get your shadow rep. and the wasted cost it takes in upkeep.

Don't kid yourself, we have 0 reps. The shadow rep means nothing. Based on DC's population, we should have 1 member of the House and 2 members of the Senate.

What we do have is 1 individual that goes to the house, hangs out, and is a non-voting delegate to Congress. She can vote in the three committees (and six subcommittees) she is a member of, but not on the floor of Congress. Congress can also strip that ability anytime it so pleases.

Old 12-22-2010, 09:13 AM   #12632
molson
General Manager

You should consider it an honor to be one of the few Americans not officially represented by some douchebag.
molson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2010, 09:26 AM   #12633
cartman
Death Herald

Location: Le stelle la notte sono grandi e luminose nel cuore profondo del Texas
The Onion, with their coverage of the repeal of DADT (contains some NSFW images and text):

Repeal Of 'Don't Ask, Don't Tell' Paves Way For Gay Sex Right On Battlefield, Opponents Fantasize | The Onion - America's Finest News Source
So I dig deeper but still comin' up with lint
cartman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2010, 10:02 AM   #12634
lordscarlet
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by molson View Post
You should consider it an honor to be one of the few Americans not officially represented by some douchebag.

Yeah, that'll make me feel better. I'm sure most people would rather have no representation.

Old 12-22-2010, 10:26 AM   #12635
molson
General Manager

Quote:
Yeah, that'll make me feel better. I'm sure most people would rather have no representation.

If I was a D.C. resident I'd be a billion times more concerned with self-governance (congressional control over local affairs, appointment of prosecutors, etc) than representation.

The myth of congressional "representation" is just that. Most Americans couldn't name their representatives, and very few (if any) representatives have any noticeable impact on day-to-day life in the area they represent.

If I could permantly assign my representative to you (maybe in exchange for a more competent governor) I'd do it in a second. It'd be a net gain.

Edit: "In theory" one D.C. representative could help promote more D.C. autonomy (if that's the goal), but in reality, it wouldn't be that simple. I think there's more pratical ways to improve the city.

Last edited by molson : 12-22-2010 at 10:33 AM.
Old 12-22-2010, 12:12 PM   #12636
DaddyTorgo
Hall Of Famer

You could always just move across the river out of D.C. if it's that upsetting?
DaddyTorgo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2010, 12:30 PM   #12637
larrymcg421
Head Coach

D.C. residents should not be paying federal income tax when they have no representation in the House or Senate that gets to vote on the rate of those taxes. It's as simple as that.

As for the population changes, bigdawg made a good point about population growth. For instance, that +1 in GA certainly isn't coming from Valdosta or Statesboro. The red states are getting bluer and bluer as their urban areas grow.

Franchise Portfolio Draft Winner
Fictional Character Draft Winner
Television Family Draft Winner
Build Your Own Hollywood Studio Draft Winner
larrymcg421 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2010, 12:32 PM   #12638
DaddyTorgo
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by larrymcg421 View Post
D.C. residents should not be paying federal income tax when they have no representation in the House or Senate that gets to vote on the rate of those taxes. It's as simple as that.

As for the population changes, bigdawg made a good point about population growth. For instance, that +1 in GA certainly isn't coming from Valdosta or Statesboro. The red states are getting bluer and bluer as their urban areas grow.

re: #1 - good point. I hadn't considered that angle of it right now, for whatever reason.

re: #2 - which is a GREAT thing!
Old 12-22-2010, 12:32 PM   #12639
larrymcg421
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaddyTorgo View Post

Why should he have to move to obtain a right so fundamental that it was one of the major themes of the very revolution that started the country?

Franchise Portfolio Draft Winner
Fictional Character Draft Winner
Television Family Draft Winner
Build Your Own Hollywood Studio Draft Winner
larrymcg421 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2010, 01:46 PM   #12640
lordscarlet
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by molson View Post
If I was a D.C. resident I'd be a billion times more concerned with self-governance (congressional control over local affairs, appointment of prosecutors, etc) than representation.

Oh, don't worry, that's my soapbox as well. It just wasn't directly relevant to the conversation.

Quote:

So that's our solution to equal rights in this country now? If you don't like that you aren't treated equally, then move? If your schools are segregated, why don't you just move to the northeast (sorry to pull such hyperbole, but I feel it is a valid comparison)? Don't like taxation without representation? Go back to England.

Quote:
Originally Posted by larrymcg421 View Post

+1

Old 12-22-2010, 02:03 PM   #12641
DaddyTorgo
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Oh, don't worry, that's my soapbox as well. It just wasn't directly relevant to the conversation.

So that's our solution to equal rights in this country now? If you don't like that you aren't treated equally, then move? If your schools are segregated, why don't you just move to the northeast (sorry to pull such hyperbole, but I feel it is a valid comparison)? Don't like taxation without representation? Go back to England.

+1

No no...I wasn't saying that was the long-term solution to equal rights...just stating in your particular case if it's something that's causing you an amount of irritation that makes it so that you can't really enjoy your life...
Old 12-22-2010, 02:19 PM   #12642
lordscarlet
Pro Starter

Quote:
No no...I wasn't saying that was the long-term solution to equal rights...just stating in your particular case if it's something that's causing you an amount of irritation that makes it so that you can't really enjoy your life...

You are greatly overestimating my level of irritation. I love life and I am a very happy and content individual. That doesn't mean I don't think it is a travesty that DC residents don't have voting representation in Congress or the ability to fully control their own city.

Old 12-22-2010, 02:20 PM   #12643
DaddyTorgo
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
You are greatly overestimating my level of irritation. I love life and I am a very happy and content individual. That doesn't mean I don't think it is a travesty that DC residents don't have voting representation in Congress or the ability to fully control their own city.

fair enough

FWIW - i agree it's ridiculous and makes no sense.
Old 12-22-2010, 02:54 PM   #12644
lordscarlet
Pro Starter

Quote:
fair enough

FWIW - i agree it's ridiculous and makes no sense.

That's because you're a dirty liberal.

Old 12-22-2010, 02:59 PM   #12645
SirFozzie
Hall Of Famer

Nah, with the red states getting more representation in the just-finished census, he just wants a government bailout of government
Old 12-22-2010, 03:27 PM   #12646
lordscarlet
Pro Starter

How timely..

Quote:
When Democrats have controlled the House, they have allowed Norton and her fellow delegates to vote in the Committee of the Whole -- a parliamentary term that describes when the full House becomes a committee for the purposes of considering legislation. That has allowed Norton to cast votes on amendments to tax and spending bills, though technically her vote could be considered symbolic since it does not count if it is the deciding one on an issue.

Republicans took away that right when they controlled the House from 1995-2007, and Norton had hoped they would not do so again. She wrote a letter to presumptive Speaker John Boehner (R-Ohio) in November pleading to keep a privilege that "is significant to the American citizens who live in the nation's capital and pay full federal taxes annually to support our federal government."

But her plea appears to have fallen on deaf ears. House Republicans released a summary Wednesday of their proposed changes to House rules, and the summary includes the line, "Delegates and resident commissioners (those not representing states) will not be able to vote in the committee of the whole."

http://voices.washingtonpost.com/dc/...ity_to_vo.html

Old 12-22-2010, 03:29 PM   #12647
DaddyTorgo
Hall Of Famer

Quote:

Color me unsurprised. Douchey Republicans.
Old 12-22-2010, 03:34 PM   #12648
M GO BLUE!!!
Pro Starter

Shouldn't DC be free of taxation if it does not have representation? I recall revolutions beginning on such premises.
M GO BLUE!!! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2010, 03:53 PM   #12649
sterlingice
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by M GO BLUE!!! View Post
Shouldn't DC be free of taxation if it does not have representation? I recall revolutions beginning on such premises.

They're a bit miffed about that, to this day. I always chuckled at these license plates when I was in DC. It's such a great protest: "Yes, our government issues license plates have a protest message on them".

SI

Old 12-22-2010, 03:56 PM   #12650
molson
General Manager

I've always thought that if they want to be treated like a state, let 'em be a state. The federal buidings and monuments can be the "district" and the rest can be the 51st state of Columbia. That's closer to the intention of the original setup.

Of course then, someone would start to reside in a Congressional utility closet and demand representation, but we'll cross that bridge when we get to it.