Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Main Forums > Off Topic
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 12-10-2013, 02:48 PM   #1201
dubb93
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mizzou B-ball fan View Post
dola

Anyone else find it odd that Wal-Mart is still selling X1 Day One console packages? They actually sold some today, nearly two weeks after Day One.

Wal-Mart was admittedly hoarding both consoles for Black Friday to the point the employees would be up front about the large numbers they had in the back that they weren't allowed to sell. Not too shocking that they misplaced some. My best guess as to what happened.
dubb93 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2013, 07:09 PM   #1202
CU Tiger
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
dola

Anyone else find it odd that Wal-Mart is still selling X1 Day One console packages? They actually sold some today, nearly two weeks after Day One.

Its called returns.
We bought 4 X1D1 deals in my house and returned two yesterday....
CU Tiger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2013, 07:20 PM   #1203
Mizzou B-ball fan
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by CU Tiger View Post
Its called returns.
We bought 4 X1D1 deals in my house and returned two yesterday....

Good point. I know there had been a lot of people who bought extras hoping that the resale value would be there and generally speaking it really hasn't happened so far.
Mizzou B-ball fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2013, 08:08 PM   #1204
sterlingice
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryan S View Post
If it was anything like Gran Turismo on the PS3, it would be a launch title showing up at some point in 2016.

In the "launch window" is the proper term, I think

SI

Janos: "Only America could produce an imbecile of your caliber!"
Freakazoid: "That's because we make lots of things better than other people!"

sterlingice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2013, 08:21 PM   #1205
CU Tiger
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Good point. I know there had been a lot of people who bought extras hoping that the resale value would be there and generally speaking it really hasn't happened so far.

Or friend groups who had multiple buy orders who all found what they wanted.
Old 12-11-2013, 10:24 AM   #1206
Mizzou B-ball fan
General Manager

This seems like it fits well with the 1.7M figure that was floated a few days ago.

Microsoft sells more than 2 million Xbox One consoles in 18 days | The Verge
Old 12-11-2013, 10:35 AM   #1207
Mizzou B-ball fan
General Manager

dola

Multiple retailers (most notably Wal-Mart) reporting via press release that a PS4 shipment that exceeds the numbers on the launch shipment will be available Sunday morning at opening. Good day to pick one up if you're looking to buy for Christmas or yourself.
Old 12-11-2013, 12:19 PM   #1208
Mizzou B-ball fan
General Manager

double dola

Four different X1 bundles available on Best Buy since morning. Also, Amazon still in stock on X1. Looks like plenty of options if you're interested in one.
Old 12-11-2013, 01:09 PM   #1209
CU Tiger
Grizzled Veteran

Dude can you please drop the schtick.
Damn man. Are you paid by Sony?

We get it you think "PS4 = GREATNESS and XB1 = Teh SUX"

Crap I keep coming here for some kind of comparative data and all I get are these thinly veiled references to X1 failing and PS4 WINNAH!!!

This isnt a competition. Well not for any of us. Its crazy to me how invested you seem to be with this. Like your self worth is defined by the success of the PS4. And this is from a guy with both of them on a closet shelf trying to decide which one Santa drops under the tree. At this point I dont want my son to have a PS4 just on the off chance that owning one may make him act like ....this.
Old 12-11-2013, 01:57 PM   #1210
Mizzou B-ball fan
General Manager

Quote:

Crap I keep coming here for some kind of comparative data and all I get are these thinly veiled references to X1 failing and PS4 WINNAH!!!

This isnt a competition. Well not for any of us. Its crazy to me how invested you seem to be with this. Like your self worth is defined by the success of the PS4. And this is from a guy with both of them on a closet shelf trying to decide which one Santa drops under the tree. At this point I dont want my son to have a PS4 just on the off chance that owning one may make him act like ....this.

I offered up options for both consoles if you want them. If you're not interested, just ignore the previous two posts.
Old 12-11-2013, 02:01 PM   #1211
Mizzou B-ball fan
General Manager

Steam Machines Beta about to begin. Will be interested to see how this goes. They've been relatively open about the process thus far.

http://steamcommunity.com/groups/ste...88300965516570
Old 12-12-2013, 10:28 AM   #1212
Mizzou B-ball fan
General Manager

FINALLY going to get some hard sales numbers from various sources today. Early report on the first two weeks of X1 and first week of PS4 sales in Europe. PS4 moved 675K units in one week of sales while the X1 moved just over 400K units in two weeks of sales. Killzone and Forza were the top sellers amongst exclusives.

PS4 vs Xbox One - Europe Launch Sales Comparison - VGChartz

NPD numbers for this side of the pond coming later today.
Old 12-12-2013, 12:17 PM   #1213
Eaglesfan27
Hall Of Famer

Gamespot article which says Xbox One and PS4 sales are in a "dead heat."

Xbox One sales reach 2 million units, now in dead heat with PS4 - GameSpot
Eaglesfan27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2013, 02:14 PM   #1214
Mizzou B-ball fan
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eaglesfan27 View Post
Gamespot article which says Xbox One and PS4 sales are in a "dead heat."

Xbox One sales reach 2 million units, now in dead heat with PS4 - GameSpot

So if the sales figure from 8 days ago for the PS4 is equal to today's X1 total, it's a dead heat. Obviously you weren't the one that wrote that piece, but some pretty weak journalism there. A poorly written article at best.

We'll see the numbers today for the launch window. Also, with the large influx of PS4's entering the market on Sunday, we'll see some more figures likely thrown back by Sony next week. Fun stuff!

Article here also detailing the big boost in DLC purchases thanks to the early release window.

Xbox One, PS4 drive DLC sales up 41% in November | GamesIndustry International

Last edited by Mizzou B-ball fan : 12-12-2013 at 02:15 PM.
Old 12-12-2013, 02:17 PM   #1215
cartman
Death Herald

Location: Le stelle la notte sono grandi e luminose nel cuore profondo del Texas
Quote:

+1
So I dig deeper but still comin' up with lint
cartman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2013, 03:31 PM   #1216
AENeuman
College Benchwarmer

Quote:
So if the sales figure from 8 days ago for the PS4 is equal to today's X1 total, it's a dead heat. Obviously you weren't the one that wrote that piece, but some pretty weak journalism there. A poorly written article at best.

We'll see the numbers today for the launch window. Also, with the large influx of PS4's entering the market on Sunday, we'll see some more figures likely thrown back by Sony next week. Fun stuff!

No sure how I feel about this info, oh wait, I do:
Quote:
I've seen nothing from personal experience to minimize my opinion in that regard.
AENeuman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2013, 03:52 PM   #1217
Mizzou B-ball fan
General Manager

What's the deal with all the complaining lately? Is anyone surprised by this tactic by publishers/developers?

Fixing Forza 5: How Turn 10 wants to win fans back • Interviews • Xbox One • Eurogamer.net
Old 12-12-2013, 05:22 PM   #1218
dubb93
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
What's the deal with all the complaining lately? Is anyone surprised by this tactic by publishers/developers?

Fixing Forza 5: How Turn 10 wants to win fans back • Interviews • Xbox One • Eurogamer.net

I'll bite, but I wonder if Forza was a Sony game if you would be posting this.

I read it down to the point about the free-to-play mechanics and he justifies it with sim players who don't care about the career and just want to play the game. That is where I start to have a problem with games nowadays, basically, if you want to play the game in a different way than they intend you have to pay more. Quite frankly, that is bullshit. Put new/optional content behind a paywall, put this shit behind a cheat code. If I don't want to play your career and I just want to race on a Saturday night why should I pay more? Well, to be blunt, I wouldn't. I'd just pass on the damn game. This is the kind of stuff that immediately gets me to not buy your game. It could roll out with all 10s, but if you want to put this crap in a full retail release, I won't buy it. I don't care if it's Nintendo/Microsoft/Sony/Valve, whoever, replacing cheat codes with cash is dirty business.
Old 12-12-2013, 05:31 PM   #1219
dubb93
Grizzled Veteran

Isn't there a similar system in GT 6 too?
Old 12-12-2013, 05:45 PM   #1220
nilodor
College Benchwarmer

Quote:
Originally Posted by dubb93 View Post

In 5 there was. I'm sure it's there in 6 as well. On the plus side it didn't take too long to get enough credits to get some of the best vehicles.

A big part of getting the game is being able to drive cars I'll never sniff in real life. But if it takes weeks to earn them, that's a big no to me. I'd rather have everything available from jump (or at least in free race more) or have to work through cups or whatever to unlock them, but when the cost to acquire the vehicles is disproportionate to what you earn in the cups, then it's a huge issue (Like VC in next gen NBA2K). I think it's fine to be able to pay for it if that's what people want to do, but I don't think it should be to preserve the rarity of the vehicles. This isn't a collectable, it's a game. I haven't played Forza so I don't know how much of an issue it is. In GT it wasn't a big deal because earnings were sufficient to be able to get the right cars when you had advanced to that level in the game.
nilodor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2013, 06:03 PM   #1221
mckerney
Coordinator

Quote:

Yes.

Gran Turismo 6 Microtransaction Prices Surface - IGN

Unfortunately for a lot of games that have this kind of microtransactions it's no longer, "an alternative path to busy people," that Sony claims and instead you get unlocks through hours and hours of grinding instead of normal gameplay. Haven't taken a close look at GT6 though did hear complaints on The Co-optional Podcast that Forza seemed to do this.
mckerney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2013, 07:34 PM   #1222
Eaglesfan27
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by nilodor View Post
In 5 there was. I'm sure it's there in 6 as well. On the plus side it didn't take too long to get enough credits to get some of the best vehicles.

A big part of getting the game is being able to drive cars I'll never sniff in real life. But if it takes weeks to earn them, that's a big no to me. I'd rather have everything available from jump (or at least in free race more) or have to work through cups or whatever to unlock them, but when the cost to acquire the vehicles is disproportionate to what you earn in the cups, then it's a huge issue (Like VC in next gen NBA2K). I think it's fine to be able to pay for it if that's what people want to do, but I don't think it should be to preserve the rarity of the vehicles. This isn't a collectable, it's a game. I haven't played Forza so I don't know how much of an issue it is. In GT it wasn't a big deal because earnings were sufficient to be able to get the right cars when you had advanced to that level in the game.

In Forza 5, you can "rent" a variety of cars for free to drive in "free play." If you want to earn a car to use in races that matter, then you have to grind (or pay.) I've tried a few cars via renting that I'm working towards earning enough money in the game to buy.
Old 12-12-2013, 10:22 PM   #1223
Mizzou B-ball fan
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by nilodor View Post

I think people are just bitching way too much about it. It's the reason I posted it. I don't see what all the complaining is about. In GT, I thought the pacing was just fine if you didn't bother with any microtransactions. Same thing in NBA 2K14. I haven't played Forza obviously, but it seems that this is a bit different of a situation in that the developer is not happy with the situation and how gamers are receiving his product instead of an article just about gamers complaining.

I was kind of hoping someone would provide feedback instead of the 'I doubt you'd post this if it were Sony' response, but I guess that was an unreasonable hope. From what I've seen, I think it's more people bitching, but maybe that's not the case.
Old 12-12-2013, 10:31 PM   #1224
Mizzou B-ball fan
General Manager

dola

NPD data is out.

PlayStation 4 Had 'Largest Console Launch in History' - IGN

Last edited by Mizzou B-ball fan : 12-12-2013 at 10:32 PM.
Old 12-13-2013, 07:19 AM   #1225
Eaglesfan27
Hall Of Famer

Interesting point in the article you linked, MBBF. It notes that the PS4 had a an extra week on the Xbox One and that the Xbox One actually leads when you look at sales per week.
Old 12-13-2013, 08:52 AM   #1226
Mizzou B-ball fan
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eaglesfan27 View Post
Interesting point in the article you linked, MBBF. It notes that the PS4 had a an extra week on the Xbox One and that the Xbox One actually leads when you look at sales per week.

Yep, Major Nelson is getting bashed heavily on social media for that spin. As NPD analysts have noted, PS4 sold 1M units in the first 48 hours out. Also, the second week (which hasn't been shown in MS NPD numbers yet), will always be much lower and Major Nelson knows that. MS took a week to sell that amount in North America, hence the reason why Major Nelson spun it as such. It was the only way to make it look good.

In Europe, PS4 sold all their units in one week while MS took two weeks to sell 1/3 less units and those had FIFA 14 included in that package.

Combine those two regions and you have each each one out for three weeks total (PS4 was out for one week in Europe and two weeks in North America, MS out one week in North America and two weeks in Europe). During that time, MS had around 1.3M in sales and Sony had 1.7-1.8M in sales. That's a much fairer picture of the situation and presents more of an apples to apples comparison.

I remember when Sony was doing this last generation. It was pretty laughable and it's no different this generation.
Old 12-13-2013, 08:55 AM   #1227
SackAttack
Head Coach

Kind of a throwaway point, though. It didn't say *what* sales per week was. Just that 2.1 million was the last number Sony announced, 2 million for Xbox One, and both of those on a global basis.

Didn't say what NPD was reporting for sales for both, which makes it tough to take that statement at face value.
SackAttack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2013, 08:55 AM   #1228
Eaglesfan27
Hall Of Famer

It was not major Nelson in your article. It was the npd analyst. When you factor in amount of time on sale, the two consoles are in a dead heat.
Old 12-13-2013, 08:57 AM   #1229
Icy
Pro Starter

Purchased a PS4 on launch and today I received an Xbox One as christmas gift from my company. I guess i'll keep the Ps4 and will sell the One mainly because i can download and play USA sports games in Ps4 whie i can't in Xbox (in Europe), plus MLB The show exclusive.

Icy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2013, 09:01 AM   #1230
Mizzou B-ball fan
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by SackAttack View Post
Kind of a throwaway point, though. It didn't say *what* sales per week was. Just that 2.1 million was the last number Sony announced, 2 million for Xbox One, and both of those on a global basis.

Didn't say what NPD was reporting for sales for both, which makes it tough to take that statement at face value.

They give percentages of sales for each console and the total number sold is known. It's not hard to extrapolate the numbers within a 10-20K range. It usually only takes a day or so for those to get figured out by the people who know how that works. The numbers posted shouldn't be surprising to anyone. Sony had around a 57/43 split vs. the X1 in November and that's just about right given what we know.

Best Buy is now going on three days in a row with continuous availability on the X1 while the PS4 remains scarce. We'll see if that's still the case after the next huge shipment of PS4's comes into North America on Sunday, but the X1 is definitely not moving as quickly as some had expected.
Old 12-13-2013, 09:03 AM   #1231
cartman
Death Herald

Location: Le stelle la notte sono grandi e luminose nel cuore profondo del Texas
Do Sony Fanboys Tarnish The PlayStation Brand? - * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * *Crappy Reviews
So I dig deeper but still comin' up with lint
cartman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2013, 09:08 AM   #1232
mckerney
Coordinator

For someone not interested in getting an XBox MBBF sure seems to spend a lot of time shopping for one.

Last edited by mckerney : 12-13-2013 at 09:19 AM.
Old 12-13-2013, 09:10 AM   #1233
Mizzou B-ball fan
General Manager

I'd even add to the whole thing that I'm not sure why MS/Major Nelson felt they needed to take this spin angle on the numbers. There's nothing wrong with those numbers for a release window. You're not terribly far behind Sony when the PS4 unquestionably had more momentum coming into launch. Now if that trend continues in the next few months, then it's time to start spinning, but for now, it's not that big of a deal (as some have noted previously in this thread), so why look silly in the process?
Old 12-13-2013, 09:35 AM   #1234
MacroGuru
Coordinator

Holy shit, and the comments sections justifies his entire post...
Old 12-13-2013, 10:24 AM   #1235
PurdueBrad
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by MacroGuru View Post
Holy shit, and the comments sections justifies his entire post...

Agreed and I love the inset picture at the beginning (the take-off of the motivational posters) as I think it is dead on correct.
PurdueBrad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2013, 10:39 AM   #1236
Passacaglia
Coordinator

So MS doesn't have similar types of fanboys out there? Why is it just Sony?
Passacaglia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2013, 10:56 AM   #1237
BillJasper
Pro Starter

As long as the games are fun to play and the controller is comfortable in may hands, I don't care what logo is on the console.
Old 12-13-2013, 11:12 AM   #1238
Ronnie Dobbs3
High School Varsity

Quote:
Originally Posted by Passacaglia View Post
So MS doesn't have similar types of fanboys out there? Why is it just Sony?

My guess would be the PS4 is seen as the more hardcore console, the XBOne the casual one.

Both get mocked by PC players anyway.
Ronnie Dobbs3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2013, 11:18 AM   #1239
Kodos
Resident Alien

We just don't have enough ways to divide ourselves and battle amongst ourselves. We need to create more.

Me? I loathe people who drink tea.
Old 12-13-2013, 11:28 AM   #1240
DaddyTorgo
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kodos View Post
We just don't have enough ways to divide ourselves and battle amongst ourselves. We need to create more.

Me? I loathe people who drink tea.

THIS MEANS WAR!!!!!
DaddyTorgo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2013, 11:29 AM   #1241
mckerney
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ronnie Dobbs3 View Post
My guess would be the PS4 is seen as the more hardcore console, the XBOne the casual one.

Old 12-13-2013, 11:38 AM   #1242
Kodos
Resident Alien

That's pretty funny. And I am a dirty console gaming peasant.
Old 12-13-2013, 11:40 AM   #1243
RainMaker
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ronnie Dobbs3 View Post

They're both incredibly similar pieces of computer hardware that will both be outdated in a couple years. The console wars are the most retarded thing in existence.

Fanboys getting upset about which controller is superior and who fucked over consumers the best with their exclusives.
RainMaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2013, 11:55 AM   #1244
DaddyTorgo
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by RainMaker View Post
They're both incredibly similar pieces of computer hardware that will both be outdated in a couple years. The console wars are the most retarded thing in existence.

Fanboys getting upset about which controller is superior and who fucked over consumers the best with their exclusives.

This
DaddyTorgo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2013, 12:14 PM   #1245
Kodos
Resident Alien

Give me the simplicity of consoles over patching computer games any day of the week.
Old 12-13-2013, 12:18 PM   #1246
Schmidty
Coordinator

Quote:
Give me the simplicity of consoles over patching computer games any day of the week.

I have no problems whatsoever. Steam patches everything for me.
Old 12-13-2013, 12:19 PM   #1247
mckerney
Coordinator

Quote:
That's pretty funny. And I am a dirty console gaming peasant.

Well, it was made to make fun of the pc gaming master rave so that is understandable.
Old 12-13-2013, 12:22 PM   #1248
mckerney
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Schmidty View Post
I have no problems whatsoever. Steam patches everything for me.

I can't remember the last time i had to do anything for anything other than unofficial fan made patches. Most mods I use well even update automatically now a days.
Old 12-13-2013, 02:16 PM   #1249
dubb93
Grizzled Veteran

The only thing more difficult about PC gaming than console gaming are mods, but most of those even have self installers now, so that is pretty hard to bork. But mods aren't a downside at all, infact, they make nearly every game better. I game on both, but I think Steam patching is actually better than console patching simply because I don't have to watch it. It does it automatically, by default, which generally isn't the case for consoles. They like me to watch them patch.
Old 12-13-2013, 02:19 PM   #1250
Mizzou B-ball fan
General Manager

Quote:
It does it automatically, by default, which generally isn't the case for consoles. They like me to watch them patch.

Somebody hasn't got a PS4 or X1 yet.