Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Main Forums > Off Topic
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 01-10-2014, 10:15 AM   #1201
BishopMVP
Coordinator

How many 8-year old could you take? Japanese Soccer style
Shinji Kagawa 香川真司 + Hiroshi Kiyotake 清*弘嗣 VS 55 football academy kids KYOKUGEN 2013 - YouTube
BishopMVP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2014, 10:23 AM   #1202
Grover
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by SackAttack View Post
I have no idea who Pepe Mel is, but hey. Hopefully West Brom will stick with a manager for more than a season and a half.

As he was appointed on an 18 month deal

FOFC Greatest Band Draft Runner Up
FOFC Movie Remake Draft Winner
FOFC Movie Comedy Draft Winner
Grover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2014, 10:09 AM   #1203
DaddyTorgo
Hall Of Famer

AJACCIO TAKE THE LEAD AGAINST PSG!!! HEHEHE
DaddyTorgo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2014, 11:13 AM   #1204
Marc Vaughan
SI Games

YES - a good 1-0 victory against Birmingham sneaks Brighton into the Championship play-off places for the first time this season
Marc Vaughan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2014, 10:06 AM   #1205
MIJB#19
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by BishopMVP View Post
Only in Japan...
MIJB#19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2014, 11:21 AM   #1206
sovereignstar v2
hates iowa

Stay classy Alan Pardew. Calls Pellegrini a fucking old cunt to his face today.
sovereignstar v2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2014, 12:06 PM   #1207
Oilers9911
College Benchwarmer

Quote:
Originally Posted by sovereignstar v2 View Post

And then apologized for it. He also said that Pellegrini had words for him first. After that terrible offside call I would expect Pardew to be pissed off.
Oilers9911 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2014, 12:40 PM   #1208
sovereignstar v2
hates iowa

Fuck off you cunt.
Old 01-12-2014, 12:40 PM   #1209
sovereignstar v2
hates iowa

Sorry.
Old 01-12-2014, 12:41 PM   #1210
sovereignstar v2
hates iowa

Hope he gets a nice little ban like Wooney and Wilshite. Only thing that might save him is that Pellegrini is playing it cool.
Old 01-12-2014, 12:46 PM   #1211
Oilers9911
College Benchwarmer

It seems like it bothered you more than it bothered Pellegrini.
Oilers9911 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2014, 01:29 PM   #1212
TroyF
Coordinator

Quote:

While there should have been a straight red for the foul on Nasri, I think you should probably have your blood pressure raised more at another mediocre road game from your boys. Very lucky to get the full 3 out of that game.

Yes, he should get a ban, but we do not know what was said by Pellegrini to cause it and that will certainly come out if there is an inquiry. Might be why Pellegrini is playing things down.
TroyF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2014, 03:45 PM   #1213
SirFozzie
Hall Of Famer

Great day for DT and Juve..

Juventus wins 4-1, and Sassuolo gets four goals from a Juventus Loanee to beat AC Milan 4-3.. the first time AC Milan has lost after being up two goals since... the champions league final in 2005.
Old 01-12-2014, 03:47 PM   #1214
Critch
lolzcat

Quote:
Hope he gets a nice little ban like Wooney and Wilshite.

That's top class wordplay there, you should consider using "Manure" for Man Utd too, because that's also hilarious.
Critch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2014, 04:39 PM   #1215
DaddyTorgo
Hall Of Famer

Top class play by Marchisio making a huge impact in his 20 minutes and showing that he's still got a role to play on this club. Absolute CRACKER of a goal, and a key switch of the ball to Litchsteiner to set the second goal in motion.

Sure hope they don't do something shortsighted and let one of Marchisio/Vidal/Pogba leave in order to keep around an ageing Pirlo (who I love, but let's be honest, the clock is ticking on). Just gotta rotate the 4 of them to keep them fresh.

FYI - Berardi is fucking ACES too. He's leading my Juve team as of 2018 (and honestly he could have in 2017 if I gave him the shot) and his displaced Luis Suarez as my #1 forward. He's going to be a great one in the future.

Last edited by DaddyTorgo : 01-12-2014 at 04:41 PM.
DaddyTorgo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2014, 07:17 AM   #1216
flere-imsaho
Coordinator

I'm enjoying the endless parade of articles in various media outlets about what David Moyes needs to do to turn Man U around....
flere-imsaho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2014, 07:46 AM   #1217
Grover
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by flere-imsaho View Post
I'm enjoying the endless parade of articles in various media outlets about what David Moyes needs to do to turn Man U around....

The exact same thing Ferguson needed to do! Improve the bloody midfield!

Old 01-13-2014, 07:47 AM   #1218
Grover
Pro Starter

A 2-0 win for West Ham this weekend at Cardiff. 37% possession, but we somehow manage two goals. Andy Carroll is being 'eased' back in, though I still think Allardyce is rushing him back a bit. Hopefully he can help and start firing goals into the back of the net.

It would just be nice to have someone who can pick out a pass, rather than lump it 30+ yards forward.

A boy can dream those days will return.

Old 01-13-2014, 02:08 PM   #1219
cartman
Death Herald

Location: Le stelle la notte sono grandi e luminose nel cuore profondo del Texas
CR7 stops Messi's streak of Ballon d'Or wins at four.

BBC Sport - Ballon d'Or: Cristiano Ronaldo beats Lionel Messi and Ribery
So I dig deeper but still comin' up with lint
cartman is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2014, 11:30 AM   #1220
Grover
Pro Starter

Clarence Seedorf is in as AC Milan manager.

Old 01-14-2014, 11:50 AM   #1221
flere-imsaho
Coordinator

I remember watching Seedorf (and Tim Sherwood, for that matter) play. So between this and the announcement that the Red Hot Chili Peppers are playing the Super Bowl to appeal to "older viewers", I'm feeling really old now. Ugh.
Old 01-14-2014, 11:54 AM   #1222
Grover
Pro Starter

Quote:
I remember watching Seedorf (and Tim Sherwood, for that matter) play. So between this and the announcement that the Red Hot Chili Peppers are playing the Super Bowl to appeal to "older viewers", I'm feeling really old now. Ugh.

The best thing is that Seedorf retired from Botafogo to take the position. He was still playing!

Old 01-14-2014, 09:51 PM   #1223
Mizzou B-ball fan
General Manager

Crazy money being thrown around by Toronto FC and Sporting KC. Never thought we'd see this kind of stuff so soon. Certainly going to be some growing pains as the league sorts out how big of a player they want to be related to foreign leagues.

Sporting news: SKC's reported Bradley bid, SuperDraft changes and Disney tournament set - KansasCity.com
Mizzou B-ball fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2014, 10:35 AM   #1224
Grover
Pro Starter

Cortese hands in resignation | News

Wow. If true this is massive news in the Premier League. I know Cortese had threatened to leave once when Poch was under threat to get the sack. Can't see Poch sticking around if Cortese is out... then again neither can the bookies.

Incredible amount of money spent on this team over the past two years in the Premier League too. Probably not a club that can afford to flounder and go back down into the Championship without getting straight back up at this point.

Much like Newcastle and West Ham in years past.

Old 01-15-2014, 11:03 AM   #1225
flere-imsaho
Coordinator

Jeez, Southampton are 9th? 12 points above the relegation zone? I really need to pay more attention....
Old 01-15-2014, 11:06 AM   #1226
Grover
Pro Starter

Coming through SkySports that ownership wants to sell Southampton, which is why Cortese has tendered his resignation.

Old 01-20-2014, 11:15 AM   #1227
flere-imsaho
Coordinator

OK, so I was reading the Guardian online to catch up on this weekend's EPL, and read some stuff about Stephen Gerrard switching to a more holding role in midfield.

In this article, and so many others, Gerrard is referred to as possibly England's greatest midfielder, a great player, etc....

Now, I'll be the first to admit I don't follow Liverpool, or Gerrard, all that closely, but whenever I have seen him play for Liverpool or England, I've been very underwhelmed. If anything, he seems an excellent example of the "old-school" English-player stereotype that the English national team, especially, needs less of: takes long shots stupidly, tries risky passes when they're not needed, runs everywhere regardless of his runs' impacts on his team's tactical plans, etc....

So, could someone more experienced explain to me what I'm missing about Gerrard?
Old 01-20-2014, 11:23 AM   #1228
rowech
Pro Starter

Quote:
OK, so I was reading the Guardian online to catch up on this weekend's EPL, and read some stuff about Stephen Gerrard switching to a more holding role in midfield.

In this article, and so many others, Gerrard is referred to as possibly England's greatest midfielder, a great player, etc....

Now, I'll be the first to admit I don't follow Liverpool, or Gerrard, all that closely, but whenever I have seen him play for Liverpool or England, I've been very underwhelmed. If anything, he seems an excellent example of the "old-school" English-player stereotype that the English national team, especially, needs less of: takes long shots stupidly, tries risky passes when they're not needed, runs everywhere regardless of his runs' impacts on his team's tactical plans, etc....

So, could someone more experienced explain to me what I'm missing about Gerrard?

I think he's one of the most underrated players ever. In his prime, I felt he controlled the midfield better than just about anyone in terms of distribution of the ball forward, to the wings, etc. I rarely see him make a mistake. Just not flashy.
rowech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2014, 11:34 AM   #1229
Grover
Pro Starter

So we sit Carroll and Reid for a must-win against Newcastle at the weekend, but we start them tonight against City in the second leg of the Cap One Cup semi-final when we're already behind 6-0.

Sam Allardyce, you are brilliant.

Old 01-20-2014, 09:02 PM   #1230
Katon
College Benchwarmer

Quote:

Well, partly you're missing the fact that the long shots & passes come off often enough for him that he winds up being a positive game-changer a lot more often than a negative one. Liverpool won the CL in large part because he kept pulling out bits of magic whenever they needed it, and were a consistently good European cup team when they were built around him.

On the other hand, his reputation definitely benefits from being the best example of the English stereotype in years. If you gave me my choice of English midfielders from the last ~15 years to try and build the a world-class team with, he'd be my third choice behind Scholes and Lampard, because those two can contribute their best without wasting possession or breaking the team's shape.
Katon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2014, 08:58 AM   #1231
Ronnie Dobbs3
High School Varsity

Does anyone know if Big Fo is ok
Ronnie Dobbs3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2014, 09:08 AM   #1232
flere-imsaho
Coordinator

Thanks guys for the info on Gerrard. Helps me see him in a little bit of a different light.
Old 01-22-2014, 04:33 PM   #1233
cartman
Death Herald

Location: Le stelle la notte sono grandi e luminose nel cuore profondo del Texas
I guess Man U doesn't practice penalty kicks.
Old 01-22-2014, 05:21 PM   #1234
sovereignstar v2
hates iowa

Sunderland spared United an ass-kicking in the final. Good lord do they suck right now.

Last edited by sovereignstar v2 : 01-22-2014 at 05:21 PM.
Old 01-22-2014, 07:59 PM   #1235
flere-imsaho
Coordinator

But Juan Mata will solve everything!
Old 01-23-2014, 06:42 AM   #1236
sovereignstar v2
hates iowa

Quote:
But Juan Mata will solve everything!

He might help them get into the Europa League.
Old 01-23-2014, 10:12 AM   #1237
Marc Vaughan
SI Games

Quote:

I'll probably get some stick from Liverpool fans for this - but in my opinion Gerrard hasn't been at his best for the last two years or so, its impossible for someone to play in the dynamic manner he used at the age he now is - simple as that.

Personally I'd have liked to see him converted into a defender, he's always been comfortable on the ball and is an intelligence player so would be good at reading attacks potentially (this might still happen - time will tell).

At his 'best' he was probably one of the true midfield greats, however its also worth remembering that sports writers have notoriously short memories and players like John Barnes, Alan Ball, Glenn Hoddle, Bryan Robson, Paul Gascoigne etc. were amazing in their day also and while Gerrard might be up with them I doubt he was truly their better.

(and this is restricting myself to just the last 20 years or so for players - there are some legends from the decades before my time - esp. around the '66 World Cup winning era)
Old 01-23-2014, 10:14 AM   #1238
Ronnie Dobbs3
High School Varsity

I am a Liverpool fan and it is not controversial to say that Gerrard hasn't been at his best the last two years or so, possibly even further along. But 2005 Gerrard was phenomenal.
Ronnie Dobbs3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2014, 03:09 PM   #1239
Grover
Pro Starter

Liverpool are putting in an absolute masterclass of how to counterattack today. Unbelievable show.

Sturridge's second was brilliant.

Old 01-28-2014, 05:42 PM   #1240
Marc Vaughan
SI Games

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grover View Post
Liverpool are putting in an absolute masterclass of how to counterattack today. Unbelievable show.

Sturridge's second was brilliant.

I agree totally - they gave up a huge amount of possession, but defended really well, especially against crosses and their counter attacks were devastating.

Sterling especially impressed me with his intelligence, speed and physical strength for someone who is still very young.

It might sounds strange, but I didn't think Everton played that badly (abeit Stones also found himself out of position too often imho) - they were just put to the sword because they didn't have the cutting edge and Liverpool did ...

PS - Gerrard while in a largely defensive role was really effective today.

Last edited by Marc Vaughan : 01-28-2014 at 05:44 PM.
Old 01-28-2014, 08:01 PM   #1241
Grover
Pro Starter

The only issue I had with Everton is they were playing so high up that Sturridge's pace was able to get behind them. Other than that, they weren't that bad at all.

it should also be noted that Sturridge was awful in the second half.

Old 01-29-2014, 11:09 AM   #1242
cartman
Death Herald

Here's a crazy story from the lower divisions in Italy. Nocerina, a club which as recently as a couple of seasons ago was in Serie B, has been thrown out of the 3rd level pro league. A group of their hardcore fans was banned for a match, and those fans made death threats against the players if they played the next match. The match started 40 minutes late, and once the game started they made three subs and lost 5 players to 'injuries' in the first 20 minutes, and the match was called off.

BBC Sport - Nocerina thrown out of Italian third division after players faked injury
Old 01-29-2014, 01:42 PM   #1243
Marc Vaughan
SI Games

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grover View Post
The only issue I had with Everton is they were playing so high up that Sturridge's pace was able to get behind them. Other than that, they weren't that bad at all.

Yeah - I didn't fully understand why they continued to do so after it was obvious they couldn't handle his (or Sterling's) pace ... it was great they went their to play and try and score - but ultimately very ill advised when Liverpool were more than happy to sit back and punish them on the counter.
Old 01-30-2014, 02:11 PM   #1244
SirFozzie
Hall Of Famer

Bizarre scene in the Copa Del Ray QF: Racing Satander come out for introductions and.. just stand there. Seems like they're protesting to make the board and chairman resign because they haven't been paid in months. After some confusion, the ref blows the whistle and everyone troops off the field, match suspended or abandoned (unknown which right now)
Old 01-30-2014, 03:13 PM   #1245
miami_fan
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by SirFozzie View Post
Bizarre scene in the Copa Del Ray QF: Racing Satander come out for introductions and.. just stand there. Seems like they're protesting to make the board and chairman resign because they haven't been paid in months. After some confusion, the ref blows the whistle and everyone troops off the field, match suspended or abandoned (unknown which right now)

Can you send that story to Real Federacin Espaola de Ftbol and cc UEFA? Put "FFP Success" in the subject block

Ridiculous!
"The blind soldier fought for me in this war. The least I can do now is fight for him. I have eyes. He hasnt. I have a voice on the radio, he hasnt. I was born a white man. And until a colored man is a full citizen, like me, I havent the leisure to enjoy the freedom that colored man risked his life to maintain for me. I dont own what I have until he owns an equal share of it. Until somebody beats me and blinds me, I am in his debt."- Orson Welles August 11, 1946
miami_fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2014, 11:50 AM   #1246
sovereignstar v2
hates iowa

RVP, Rooney back. It don't Mata.
Old 02-01-2014, 05:30 PM   #1247
PilotMan
Head Coach

Scoreboard is looking good atm.

Like Steam?
Join the FOFC Steam group here: http://steamcommunity.com/groups/FOFConSteam

PilotMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2014, 04:45 PM   #1248
Critch
lolzcat

Quote:
RVP, Rooney back. It don't Mata.

Moyes has taken over a team that won the league by a mile, spent 50+ million, and turned them into Everton

Old 02-03-2014, 09:02 AM   #1249
Critch
lolzcat

Dola for another Moyes related pic:

Old 02-03-2014, 09:25 AM   #1250
Marc Vaughan
SI Games

BIG match today - Man City vs Chelsea ..... wonder if my kids school will let me pick them up early so I don't miss the kick off?