Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Archives > FOFC Archive
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 05-13-2009, 12:30 AM   #1201
Chief Rum
Hall Of Famer

All right, all Angels deserving of a win tonight, step forward.

Not so fast, Arredondo, Oliver and Shields!

I hate losing to the Red Sox. And I hate losing games we should win even more (to anyone).

I would rather be wrong...Than live in the shadows of your song...My mind is open wide...And now I'm ready to start...You're not sure...You open the door...And step out into the dark...Now I'm ready.
Chief Rum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2009, 01:42 AM   #1202
Crapshoot
Grizzled Veteran

Giants win on a Pablo Sandoval line-drive HR, after blowing a 5-1 lead. WOO HOO!
Crapshoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2009, 03:14 AM   #1203
Young Drachma
Dark Cloud

The last time the Blue Jays were even remotely relevant, I was in middle school.

I'm not getting ahead of myself, as the season is long. But...I'm really happy with how they're playing so far.

Last edited by Young Drachma : 05-13-2009 at 03:15 AM.
Young Drachma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2009, 07:30 AM   #1204
Mizzou B-ball fan
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by sterlingice View Post
I love backup QB syndrome. Hochevar was not a magical savior- he's given up 4 and isn't even out of the 2nd. He'll have better days but he's not some magical cure all.

Of course he isn't and the strawman you're claiming said that doesn't exist. Hochaver is a very good pitcher and makes the Royals starting staff one of the best five in baseball. He's a guy that most other teams only wish they had as their 5th starter.
Mizzou B-ball fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2009, 07:42 AM   #1205
lordscarlet
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crapshoot View Post
Nats fans - both Zimmerman's look good, but Jordan needs something other than the fastball - when the Giants are teeing off on you, you need to work on your pitches. That being said, his stuff does look filthy.

In previous outings he has had the state of mind to switch it up if the fastball isn't working. I wonder how much having Nieves behind the plate instead of Flores affected those decisions. But the kid is only 22 and is really showing a lot of promise. A 2010 rotation of Martis, Zimmermann, Lanan, Strasburg and... someone.. could be very, very nice.

Unfortunately the bullpen blew it again. Beimel got the blown save today. 0.2 IP 2H 3R 1BB a HR and a throwing error attempting a pickoff.

Zimmerman (one "n"), is just on fire. I hate to talk much about it, for the jinx factor, but he's now on a 30 game hitting streak (only went hitless in the second game of the season), has a .364 AVG and 8 HR (14 HR last year in 106 games).

"...the better half of the Moores..." -cthomer5000
lordscarlet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2009, 07:47 AM   #1206
Dr. Sak
Grizzled Veteran

Chan Ho Park got his first win against the Dodgers...

HA HA (Nelson Laugh)
Dr. Sak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2009, 08:09 AM   #1207
Ronnie Dobbs2
Pro Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mizzou B-ball fan View Post
Of course he isn't and the strawman you're claiming said that doesn't exist. Hochaver is a very good pitcher and makes the Royals starting staff one of the best five in baseball. He's a guy that most other teams only wish they had as their 5th starter.

I'm wondering what you're basing this on, because it certainly isn't his MLB production.
Old 05-13-2009, 08:27 AM   #1208
Mizzou B-ball fan
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ronnie Dobbs2 View Post
I'm wondering what you're basing this on, because it certainly isn't his MLB production.

His stuff and projections are well-regarded. There's very few teams that would turn down the opportunity to put him in their rotation. A quick viewing of what some of these staffs are putting out there for their 5th starter gives a pretty clear indication just how weak starting pitching is currently in the league.

Of course, this discussion isn't well-timed given his performance last night, but it doesn't change the fact that he'd be a starter on the majority of MLB teams right now.
Old 05-13-2009, 08:41 AM   #1209
Ronnie Dobbs2
Pro Rookie

You could say the same thing about countless prospects. Fact is, in ~150 major league innings, Hochevar has not looked like a particularly good pitcher. The guys gets no strikeouts at all. He's also 25, so it's pretty much time for put up or shut up with him.
Old 05-13-2009, 08:42 AM   #1210
CraigSca
Pro Starter

Adam Jones = really, really good.
how do you know?

CraigSca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2009, 08:43 AM   #1211
sterlingice
Hall Of Famer

Quote:

That wasn't directed necessarily at you. There were a lot more vocal advocates of him out there in KC, just not on this board. Tho it does validate my statement earlier: "He’s not some magic cure all panacea. He’s going to be, at best, our number 3- not some magic Greinke-esque pitcher." And, again, if they threw away his arbitration clock to "shake things up" like a lot of people were wanting, just for 2 or 3 starts at most- it's just stupid. I don't get how people can be so short sighted. That's not fiscally responsible and the Royals have to be in their market.

If we needed someone to go out there and be bombed by an anemic A's lineup, we could have just thrown Sir Sidney last night. Oh wait, we did. He gave up 4 in 2 innings compared to Luke's 8. A stellar night for both *sigh*

(And it's Hochevar- I know it doesn't make sense and I've misspelled it quite a few times, too)

SI

Janos: "Only America could produce an imbecile of your caliber!"
Freakazoid: "That's because we make lots of things better than other people!"

sterlingice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2009, 08:44 AM   #1212
sterlingice
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by CraigSca View Post
Adam Jones = really, really good.

I'm still kicking myself for waiting on him one round too long in the FOFC Hardcore league draft

SI

Old 05-13-2009, 08:48 AM   #1213
Mizzou B-ball fan
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by sterlingice View Post
That wasn't directed necessarily at you. There were a lot more vocal advocates of him out there in KC, just not on this board. Tho it does validate my statement earlier: "He’s not some magic cure all panacea. He’s going to be, at best, our number 3- not some magic Greinke-esque pitcher." And, again, if they threw away his arbitration clock to "shake things up" like a lot of people were wanting, just for 2 or 3 starts at most- it's just stupid. I don't get how people can be so short sighted. That's not fiscally responsible and the Royals have to be in their market.

If we needed someone to go out there and be bombed by an anemic A's lineup, we could have just thrown Sir Sidney last night. Oh wait, we did. He gave up 4 in 2 innings compared to Luke's 8. A stellar night for both *sigh*

(And it's Hochevar- I know it doesn't make sense and I've misspelled it quite a few times, too)

SI

If we could get Hochevar to pitch around a 4.00 ERA, that would bode extremely well. That's what I hope the Royals can get from their #5 starter. Obviously, he's going to need a few shutout innings to reverse last night's hiccup.

It didn't help much last night that the Royals had the chance in both of the first two innings to rattle the A's pitcher and failed on both occasions. If the Royals get a 2-3 run lead early, it could have easily deflated that team. Instead, their pitcher gets out of big jams in both innings and they have some positive vibes which translate to the big run output.
Old 05-13-2009, 08:48 AM   #1214
Ronnie Dobbs2
Pro Rookie

Quote:
You could say the same thing about countless prospects. Fact is, in ~150 major league innings, Hochevar has not looked like a particularly good pitcher. The guys gets no strikeouts at all. He's also 25, so it's pretty much time for put up or shut up with him.

Actually, looking at his Baseball Cube page (Luke Hochevar - The Baseball Cube) he really hasn't had much success as a pro at all, outside of short stints this year and last.
Old 05-13-2009, 08:51 AM   #1215
Mizzou B-ball fan
General Manager

Quote:
Actually, looking at his Baseball Cube page (Luke Hochevar - The Baseball Cube) he really hasn't had much success as a pro at all, outside of short stints this year and last.

He was a college pitcher. In addition, he had the year-long debacle where he chose to not sign a contract and re-enter the draft. It's been an odd road, but this year is really the first year that anything should be expected of him.
Old 05-13-2009, 08:55 AM   #1216
Butter
Coordinator

Quote:
If we could get Hochevar to pitch around a 4.00 ERA, that would bode extremely well. That's what I hope the Royals can get from their #5 starter. Obviously, he's going to need a few shutout innings to reverse last night's hiccup.

You expect your #5 starter to get a 4.00 ERA? Look MBBF, it's not 1985 any more. Most team's #5's can barely keep it under a 5.00, let alone a 4. The MLB average team ERA is right around a 4.5 right now. I would say you should be wildly happy with a 4.50.
Old 05-13-2009, 08:57 AM   #1217
Mizzou B-ball fan
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by Butter_of_69 View Post
You expect your #5 starter to get a 4.00 ERA? Look MBBF, it's not 1985 any more. Most team's #5's can barely keep it under a 5.00, let alone a 4. The MLB average team ERA is right around a 4.5 right now. I would say you should be wildly happy with a 4.50.

Given that KC has the best ERA in the league, it's going to take a 4.50 ERA from that 5th starter to even get a spot in the rotation. We're not talking about an average staff in this situation.

Your point also plays into my statement that most teams would welcome a talent like Hochevar into their rotation without any hesitation.

Last edited by Mizzou B-ball fan : 05-13-2009 at 08:58 AM.
Old 05-13-2009, 09:08 AM   #1218
miked
College Starter

OMG HOCHEVAR NEEDS TO PITCH LIKE PEDRO TO BECOME THERE SPOT STARTER 4 LYFE!11@1!
Old 05-13-2009, 09:12 AM   #1219
lordscarlet
Pro Starter

OK, I don't follow every team closely -- I'm trying to look up Hochevar, and it looks like he has pitched 2 innings this year with a 36.00 ERA? And he pitched 129 last year with a 5.5 ERA?

Old 05-13-2009, 09:18 AM   #1220
Mizzou B-ball fan
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by lordscarlet View Post
OK, I don't follow every team closely -- I'm trying to look up Hochevar, and it looks like he has pitched 2 innings this year with a 36.00 ERA? And he pitched 129 last year with a 5.5 ERA?

Correct. Last year was his first year in the bigs. He's had one start this year.
Old 05-13-2009, 09:25 AM   #1221
miked
College Starter

Quote:
Given that KC has the best ERA in the league, it's going to take a 4.50 ERA from that 5th starter to even get a spot in the rotation. We're not talking about an average staff in this situation.

Your point also plays into my statement that most teams would welcome a talent like Hochevar into their rotation without any hesitation.

I know it's early and you're excited, but even if KC ends the season with the best staff in the league, 4.50 ERA for the 5th starter is probably a min. Last season, the Rays had the 2nd best ERA in the AL and Edwin Jackson put up nearly a 4.50 ERA. The Jays had the best rotation and Purcey/McGowan put up a combined 4.75 or so. The league average was 4.30 or so, so even if the current Royals are below it (as LAA were last season), they still had Garland with 4.90, Weaver with 4.33, and Moseley with 6.79 (in 12 starts).

As was said earlier, I hate to bring reality and this amazing new concept called sample size into your world, but it's highly likely that a 4.50 ERA would be welcome for a 5th starter on any team and anything better is most likely not that much better...and gravy.

Last edited by miked : 05-13-2009 at 09:52 AM.
miked is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2009, 09:39 AM   #1222
Butter
Coordinator

Quote:

Sorry, I forgot who I was talking to. Please carry on with your ridiculous expectations, while the rest of us debate facts in the real world.
Old 05-13-2009, 09:50 AM   #1223
lordscarlet
Pro Starter

Quote:
Correct. Last year was his first year in the bigs. He's had one start this year.

I'm not really sure, based on this information how even the Nationals would prefer him over their fifth starter. There are a lot of guys with potential to be a good #5 starter out there. I'm not as knowledgeable on baseball as most people here, but... Granted, I would take anyone over Daniel Cabrera who I believe is somewhere in the top 3 of the rotation.

Old 05-13-2009, 10:11 AM   #1224
Logan
Head Coach

In my opinion, the most important thing from a #5 starter is innings. If you've given up 4 runs but got me through 6 or 7 innings so I don't have to tax my pen (compared to a guy who gave up 2 but could only go 5) I'll take that every single time out.

That's why bringing in Livan Hernandez for the 5th spot was one of the moves I most agreed with the Mets making.
Logan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2009, 10:11 AM   #1225
RedKingGold
College Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. Sak View Post
Chan Ho Park got his first win against the Dodgers...

HA HA (Nelson Laugh)

Yup. More proof of the benefits of Carlos Ruiz.

BTW, I was at the game yesterday (Dollar Dog Night = yum), and the Jayson Werth show was as ridiculous live as it was in person.
RedKingGold is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2009, 10:14 AM   #1226
Fighter of Foo
College Prospect

Quote:

Hochevar is THE definition of a fifth starter. MBBF is just being retarded and/or inventing reality.
Fighter of Foo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2009, 04:40 PM   #1227
lordscarlet
Pro Starter

OK. I'm sorry. You can't intentionally walk a guy with a 30 game hitting streak in his fourth AB. That's fucked up.

Old 05-13-2009, 04:41 PM   #1228
Ronnie Dobbs2
Pro Rookie

Better hope they score off Merkin Valdez to force extra innings. Or more correctly, the Giants force extra innings.

Last edited by Ronnie Dobbs2 : 05-13-2009 at 04:45 PM.
Ronnie Dobbs2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2009, 04:47 PM   #1229
lordscarlet
Pro Starter

Well, the Nationals just have to get one man on base to get another AB. Extras would be if he doesn't get on in his 5th AB

Old 05-13-2009, 05:00 PM   #1230
Crapshoot
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
OK. I'm sorry. You can't intentionally walk a guy with a 30 game hitting streak in his fourth AB. That's fucked up.

we had too. Anyway, its good to see Sabean's idiocy (Sharon Martis was traded by us for .... Mike Stanton) come back to bite him on the ass again.
Crapshoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2009, 05:09 PM   #1231
Logan
Head Coach

Quote:

Sorry, but no. The game situation definitely called for it.
Old 05-13-2009, 05:18 PM   #1232
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fighter of Foo View Post
Hochevar is THE definition of a fifth starter. MBBF is just being retarded and/or inventing reality.

I'd probably quibble with that statement from the standpoint of his upside is better than a lot of fifth starters. His performance to date is pretty fifth starterish, maybe even his 2009 reasonably projected performance, but not his overall potential, so I'm not sure he's quite the prototype of what a "fifth starter" is.

I mean, if the Braves call up Hanson & stick him out there at the end of the rotation (or if the Nationals had done that with Zimmerman a little too soon) I don't think I'd call either of them the definition of a fifth starter. Sometimes it's a just a current role, not a permanent condition.
Old 05-13-2009, 05:31 PM   #1233
lordscarlet
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crapshoot View Post
we had too. Anyway, its good to see Sabean's idiocy (Sharon Martis was traded by us for .... Mike Stanton) come back to bite him on the ass again.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Logan View Post
Sorry, but no. The game situation definitely called for it.

Yes, but I'm a homer.

Old 05-13-2009, 05:32 PM   #1234
lordscarlet
Pro Starter

Elijah Dukes has had some serious base running issues this year.

Old 05-13-2009, 05:57 PM   #1235
lordscarlet
Pro Starter

Well, congrats to Zimmerman! 30 games is a great accomplishment. I'm sure he will tell the reporters that the win is what is important to him.

Old 05-13-2009, 08:16 PM   #1236
MrDNA
High School Varsity

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedKingGold View Post
Yup. More proof of the benefits of Carlos Ruiz.

BTW, I was at the game yesterday (Dollar Dog Night = yum), and the Jayson Werth show was as ridiculous live as it was in person.

I think if that game went into extras he would've found a way to steal first base. His steal of home got me more excited than anything in baseball since Game 5.
MrDNA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2009, 11:56 PM   #1237
Scoobz0202
Pro Rookie

*Fist Bump* to all other Reds fans.
Scoobz0202 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2009, 12:02 AM   #1238
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scoobz0202 View Post
*Fist Bump* to all other Reds fans.

Amazing to see what happens when Tavares actualt has a good OBP.

With their starting pitching I think they will be there all year, really a fun club to watch. Wish they were this good when I lived in the Nati
Lathum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2009, 12:06 AM   #1239
Scoobz0202
Pro Rookie

With the hitting coming around it is a beautiful thing to watch. It's hard to accept that the whole season won't go this way but I am still having doubts lingering.. I mean.. what have we seen the past few years other then hot starts petering away. But I'm believing right now..

The pitching of the Reds.. Wow.
Old 05-14-2009, 12:07 AM   #1240
Scoobz0202
Pro Rookie

dola -

and the bullpen is being overlooked by the young starters thats for sure. They have been stellar.

EDIT: And yea, GABP has definitely always been an enjoyable trip, but right now, it is awesome...

Last edited by Scoobz0202 : 05-14-2009 at 12:08 AM.
Old 05-14-2009, 12:10 AM   #1241
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

Is there a more over looked superstar the Adrian Gonzalez?
Lathum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2009, 06:06 AM   #1242
Butter
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scoobz0202 View Post
With the hitting coming around it is a beautiful thing to watch. It's hard to accept that the whole season won't go this way but I am still having doubts lingering.. I mean.. what have we seen the past few years other then hot starts petering away. But I'm believing right now..

The pitching of the Reds.. Wow.

The pitching is what they have this year that they didn't have in other years, that makes me believe they can hang in all year. However, their offense is playing above their head right now, which makes me think a losing streak is around the corner when everybody reverts to their .240 average selves.
Old 05-14-2009, 09:08 AM   #1243
lungs
Pro Rookie

I think the Central could end up being a good four-way race. The Cardinals, Brewers, Reds, and Cubs are all pretty good but each have flaws.

The Reds pitching is sick. The Brewers hitting is sick. The Cardinals have Albert Pujols and Dave Duncan. The Cubs have a star studded cast.

The Reds hitting is questionable. The Brewers pitching is questionable. Everything outside of Pujols for the Cardinals has a chance to regress. The Cubs can't stay healthy.

Should be a fun race. I know I really enjoy watching my Brewers knowing that when they are down 4-1 they are still right in the game. Home run after home run. Rickie Weeks is tearing the cover off the ball (finally!). Ryan Braun is Ryan Braun. Prince Fielder must've cut twinkies out of his vegetarian diet because he's not the behemoth fat blob he was last year. When Yovanni Gallardo is pitching, the only hole in the lineup is Jason Kendall and he can at least take a walk.
lungs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2009, 09:15 AM   #1244
sterlingice
Hall Of Famer

So, uh, yeah- Royals happy to be home after that debacle of a road trip. They limp home 0-5 after scoring a whopping 9 runs on the road trip. The starting pitching was good except for the Luke/Sidney game- they only gave up 8 in the other 4 games and that includes 2 from the "inside the park erro-- home run" but with no run support, well, that's how you have that kind of starting pitching and end up 0-5

Tonight starts 4 against the O's and the first is on MLBN so I'll get one of my very rare chances to see them this year on tv

SI

Last edited by sterlingice : 05-14-2009 at 09:16 AM.
Old 05-14-2009, 11:02 AM   #1245
Fighter of Foo
College Prospect

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonInMiddleGA View Post
I'd probably quibble with that statement from the standpoint of his upside is better than a lot of fifth starters. His performance to date is pretty fifth starterish, maybe even his 2009 reasonably projected performance, but not his overall potential, so I'm not sure he's quite the prototype of what a "fifth starter" is.

I mean, if the Braves call up Hanson & stick him out there at the end of the rotation (or if the Nationals had done that with Zimmerman a little too soon) I don't think I'd call either of them the definition of a fifth starter. Sometimes it's a just a current role, not a permanent condition.

I'd agree except to use your examples, Hanson is filthy and Zimmerman is at least average. Hochevar is a right handed Mark Hendrickson which means he might luck into a good year or two, but minus some additional movement or speed on his fastball or marked improvement on his other pitches, he is what he is.
Fighter of Foo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2009, 11:10 AM   #1246
DeToxRox
Head Coach

Anyone see the Tigs/Twins game?

Joe Crede walk off grand slam in the 13th after Jesse Crane balked in Curtis Granderson in the top half of the 13th to give Detroit a lead.

But the big story was the ump giving Magglio a little tap to push him towards the dugout causing Leyland to explode. While it wasn't a lot, if he did it to the ump he'd have been suspended for sure. I wonder if any action is taken against the ump.

Leylands comments post game were classic:

Quote:
"Did you see what happened? OK, then you write what you saw," Leyland said angrily. "I don't have to say a word. You write what you saw. And I hope you all got the guts to write what you saw.

"I don't need to say anything. Write what you saw. I don't need to say a word. If you watched the ... game, then write what you saw."
DeToxRox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2009, 11:29 AM   #1247
Logan
Head Coach

I think he wants them to write something.
Old 05-14-2009, 11:38 AM   #1248
Big Fo
Pro Rookie

Leyland was moving quickly for an old man when he went out to argue.
Big Fo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2009, 04:14 PM   #1249
Tasan
College Starter

So, any of you Mariner fans still alive out there?

As a lifelong Rangers fan who has had to put up with crap the last 10 years, these last 2 weeks have been glorious. And yeah, I know its just May and all.
Old 05-14-2009, 04:17 PM   #1250
JPhillips
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Butter_of_69 View Post
The pitching is what they have this year that they didn't have in other years, that makes me believe they can hang in all year. However, their offense is playing above their head right now, which makes me think a losing streak is around the corner when everybody reverts to their .240 average selves.

I hope Walt doesn't wait too long to trade for a bat. The pitching won't stay this good and they'll need at least one more hitter to stay in the race. I'd give Bailey or Arroyo + prospects for a good LF or 3b.