Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Archives > FOFC Archive
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 01-28-2009, 02:00 AM   #1201
Pyser
Pro Rookie

6m a year? wow. glad its so long though. how old is he?
Pyser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2009, 02:03 AM   #1202
Pyser
Pro Rookie

dola, tsn says:

A report says the Detroit Red Wings have agreed to a contract extension with left-wing Henrik Zetterberg that could pay him more than $7 million a year for 10 years.
Pyser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2009, 03:33 AM   #1203
johnnyshaka
College Benchwarmer

Quote:
Originally Posted by NoSkillz View Post
As a Sabres fan, I just want to thank the Oilers for deciding to take an extra day of vacation after the all-star break.

Didn't see any of it but listened on the radio for a little on my way to hockey...promptly turned it off.

Did the Bills score that many points in a game during the 2nd half of the season??

Last edited by johnnyshaka : 01-28-2009 at 11:17 AM.
johnnyshaka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2009, 05:42 AM   #1204
Honolulu_Blue
Hockey Boy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pyser View Post
6m a year? wow. glad its so long though. how old is he?

He's 28. So, he'll be getting paid $6 million per year when he's 40.

12 years is too long, especially for a guy with known back problems. I tend to dislike any contract longer than, say, 7 or 8 years.

That said, the per year cap space is very reasonable and who knows what the NHL landscape will look like in the year 2020? Maybe there will be no cap, maybe contracts wont be guaranteed anymore, maybe $6 million per year will be a pittance thanks to the cap going up, up, and up thanks to hockey's sudden surge in popularity and thriving U.S. economy thanks to the all-knowing wisdom of President Obama (and the amazing mystical powers of the once thought to be extinct unicorns).

This deal is very good for the Wings in the short term as it gives them a top class player at a very reasonable salary. The deal only becomes problematic 6-7 years down the road. Given the current make-up of the team, I think it was a wise move. The Wings have a good thing going now. There's no reason to compromise that by trying to plan for a future that is completely unknown.
Steve Yzerman: 1,755 points in 1,514 regular season games. 185 points in 196 postseason games. A First-Team All-Star, Conn Smythe Trophy winner, Selke Trophy winner, Masterton Trophy winner, member of the Hockey Hall of Fame, Olympic gold medallist, and a three-time Stanley Cup Champion. Longest serving captain of one team in the history of the NHL (19 seasons).
Honolulu_Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2009, 10:59 AM   #1205
Hurst2112
College Starter

Zetts for $6 million per year.

Marion Gaborik, your financial future has just been set. Good luck to you and your agent.
Hurst2112 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2009, 02:11 PM   #1206
boberot
High School Varsity

Quote:
Originally Posted by NoSkillz View Post
As a Sabres fan, I just want to thank the Oilers for deciding to take an extra day of vacation after the all-star break.

No doubt. That looked like the Oilers were going through a loose practice while the Sabres were playing an actual game.

Unfortunately, I have this feeling it will take the Sabres four games to generate their next 10 goals.
boberot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2009, 05:01 PM   #1207
Suburban Rhythm
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Honolulu_Blue View Post
He's 28. So, he'll be getting paid $6 million per year when he's 40.

12 years is too long, especially for a guy with known back problems. I tend to dislike any contract longer than, say, 7 or 8 years.

That said, the per year cap space is very reasonable and who knows what the NHL landscape will look like in the year 2020? Maybe there will be no cap, maybe contracts wont be guaranteed anymore, maybe $6 million per year will be a pittance thanks to the cap going up, up, and up thanks to hockey's sudden surge in popularity and thriving U.S. economy thanks to the all-knowing wisdom of President Obama (and the amazing mystical powers of the once thought to be extinct unicorns).

This deal is very good for the Wings in the short term as it gives them a top class player at a very reasonable salary. The deal only becomes problematic 6-7 years down the road. Given the current make-up of the team, I think it was a wise move. The Wings have a good thing going now. There's no reason to compromise that by trying to plan for a future that is completely unknown.

I believe there are some predictions the cap will stay the same or even drop next season. I'd guess this is based on, while the number of season tickets this year haven't changed from last season or this season, less people will be buying walk up tickets?

Also, I agree, 12 years is too long. But $6M number. The difference between he and say Crosby, $2.7M, is a solid 2nd line guy for most teams.

Assuming he's still there at 40, people won't be as upset with giving him $6M as they will with whatever they are paying Chelios at age 58.
Suburban Rhythm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2009, 07:50 PM   #1208
Maple Leafs
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hurst2112 View Post
Marion Gaborik, your financial future has just been set. Good luck to you and your agent.
I think you mean former agent.
Old 01-28-2009, 08:34 PM   #1209
henry296
College Starter

Was there really a fight 3 seconds into the Penguins - Rangers game tonight?
Old 01-28-2009, 09:27 PM   #1210
Suburban Rhythm
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by henry296 View Post

Yep...Rangers started with their 4th line, so Therrien started with the Pens. Godard - Orr drop them from the opening faceoff. After a little dancing, Godard caught Orr right on the chin and dropped him. Orr bounced up from his knees, but Godard won it.
Old 01-28-2009, 09:55 PM   #1211
samifan24
Pro Starter

Quote:

That must date back to that Sunday day game they played a few weeks back. I caught some of it and Orr and Godard both went after skill players on the other team and wouldn't fight each other.
Old 01-29-2009, 03:03 PM   #1212
Maple Leafs
Coordinator

I'm going to be live-blogging tonight's Leafs/Avs game over at TheScore.com tonight. I'll also be drinking heavily.

Feel free to drop by and watch a major Canadian sports network lose their license.

http://liveblogs.thescore.com/Event/...s_vs_Avalanche
Old 01-30-2009, 01:42 AM   #1213
Chief Rum
Hall Of Famer

Take this FWIW, since I am a well-known Ducks homer.

But given that the 2005 draft has actually turned out to be a very good draft (it wasn't just Crosby and a bunch of guys, well, it was, but not as bad as thought)...

Consider some of these players from that draft currently starring or playing key roles...

Anze Kopitar
Devon Setoguchi
Paul Stastny
Carey Price
Andrew Cogliano
Jack Johnson
Guillaume "I Punked Roy" Latendresse

And more guys are still coming from this class, just about ready to break into the league or get bigger roles.

And despite all that, having watched this kid dominate for some two months now, I am now content that the Ducks actually made the right pick with the 2nd overall in Bobby Ryan.

I would rather be wrong...Than live in the shadows of your song...My mind is open wide...And now I'm ready to start...You're not sure...You open the door...And step out into the dark...Now I'm ready.
Chief Rum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2009, 08:38 AM   #1214
samifan24
Pro Starter

I'm a big Bobby Ryan fan now, especially because he's tearing it up for my fantasy team in the FOFC Yahoo league.
Old 01-30-2009, 06:58 PM   #1215
Suburban Rhythm
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chief Rum View Post
Take this FWIW, since I am a well-known Ducks homer.

But given that the 2005 draft has actually turned out to be a very good draft (it wasn't just Crosby and a bunch of guys, well, it was, but not as bad as thought)...

Consider some of these players from that draft currently starring or playing key roles...

Anze Kopitar
Devon Setoguchi
Paul Stastny
Carey Price
Andrew Cogliano
Jack Johnson
Guillaume "I Punked Roy" Latendresse

And more guys are still coming from this class, just about ready to break into the league or get bigger roles.

And despite all that, having watched this kid dominate for some two months now, I am now content that the Ducks actually made the right pick with the 2nd overall in Bobby Ryan.

The Pens got Kris Letang with the first pick of round 3. He's played huge minutes this year when both Whitney and Gonchar were out.
Old 01-30-2009, 07:25 PM   #1216
DeToxRox
Head Coach

I am loving the 05 draft the Wings had ..

Kindl, Abdelkader, Ritola and Helm are 4 of the Wings top 7 or 8 prospects. Kindl has been up and down, but seems to have gotten it this year in the A, but still is behind Ericcson as far as next guy to hop in the top 6 permanently.
DeToxRox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2009, 01:22 PM   #1217
Maple Leafs
Coordinator

I love Luke Schenn and want to have 10,000 babies with him.

Old 02-02-2009, 09:24 PM   #1218
Galaxy
Coordinator

Is it just me or does Anaheim have crappy ice?

Last edited by Galaxy : 02-02-2009 at 09:30 PM.
Galaxy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2009, 09:29 PM   #1219
DeToxRox
Head Coach

Give Schenn the C already.

That kid is awesome.
Old 02-02-2009, 10:30 PM   #1220
Galaxy
Coordinator

Quite a physical game in Sabres-Ducks.
Old 02-02-2009, 10:40 PM   #1221
Galaxy
Coordinator

Jeez....

This could get pretty ugly into the third.
Old 02-03-2009, 12:21 AM   #1222
bhlloy
Coordinator

I'll definitely have to catch the last 2 periods on FSN when they replay it having seen the box score (had to leave after the first). Sounds like a chippy game. I expected some big time ruckus after seeing Peters was in the lineup.

Gripe time... how the hell can the Ducks have played 53 games when the next team in the conference has played 51 and most teams have played 49 or 48. I understand scheduling is an inexact science, but that's freaking ridiculous. I'm stoked to see them in fourth and then realize they could actually be 11th in terms of games in hand.
bhlloy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2009, 10:36 AM   #1223
Honolulu_Blue
Hockey Boy

So, the Wings finally break out of their 5 game losing streak to beat St. Louis 4-3 in a shootout. It was a pretty crappy game. The Wings gave up the lead 3 times, gave up 3 power play goals, and only had 21 shots on net.

The Wings' three goals came on their first eight shots on Manny Legace. After the game Legace said the following:

"I was God-awful. The guys played great. I'm the reason we lost. I was the worst guy in the NHL tonight."

Ah, Manny. Those are echoes of his famous, “I feel like going out and hanging myself," quote after the Wings lost to Edmonton in the first round in 2006.

I like Manny well enough. He's a decent enough goalie and by all accounts a great guy. I used to feel sorry for him, but now I think he's just a bit overly dramatic.
Steve Yzerman: 1,755 points in 1,514 regular season games. 185 points in 196 postseason games. A First-Team All-Star, Conn Smythe Trophy winner, Selke Trophy winner, Masterton Trophy winner, member of the Hockey Hall of Fame, Olympic gold medallist, and a three-time Stanley Cup Champion. Longest serving captain of one team in the history of the NHL (19 seasons).
Old 02-03-2009, 12:51 PM   #1224
Logan
Head Coach

As I wrote in my FTB answers:

Quote:
The Rangers are retiring his [Adam Graves] jersey this year, and I have all my potential ticket sources trying to squeeze me in somewhere. If I don't end up with anything, I'll stubhub a solo ticket if I have to, but I'll be there.

Buddy of mine from work came through with an extra ticket for tonight! Very excited to be there. He's the last main piece from the 94 team that will have his jersey retired so I expect it to be pretty special. Plus, he was really loved more than even Messier.
Logan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2009, 12:53 PM   #1225
Pumpy Tudors
Bounty Hunter

maybe the 94 team can go fuck themselves imo
Old 02-03-2009, 12:57 PM   #1226
Honolulu_Blue
Hockey Boy

1989-Nov-02: Traded from Detroit Red Wings: Petr Klima, Adam Graves, Joe Murphy and Jeff Sharples to Edmonton Oilers for Jimmy Carson, Kevin McClelland and round 5 pick in the 1991 draft.

One of the Worst. Trades. Ever.
Old 02-03-2009, 01:00 PM   #1227
DeToxRox
Head Coach

My girlfriends little bro plays on one of the teams Klima coaches ... All he does is swear at his two sons in Czech.
Old 02-03-2009, 01:14 PM   #1228
Logan
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pumpy Tudors View Post
maybe the 94 team can go fuck themselves imo

Noted. May I have your thoughts on Graves and the '97 team please?
Old 02-03-2009, 01:16 PM   #1229
Pumpy Tudors
Bounty Hunter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Logan View Post
Noted. May I have your thoughts on Graves and the '97 team please?
help
Old 02-03-2009, 01:17 PM   #1230
DeToxRox
Head Coach

Pumpy is it true that every time Mike Grier is checked you die a little inside?
Old 02-03-2009, 01:18 PM   #1231
DeToxRox
Head Coach

BTW

Is Eklund even trying anymore? I saw him report that the Wings want Toskala. Because they can afford that 4 mil price tag.

I know he is terrible, but at least before he had awful trades that worked within the cap. Now it's just awful trades without even considering the cap.
Old 02-03-2009, 01:26 PM   #1232
Logan
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeToxRox View Post
Pumpy is it true that every time Mike Grier is checked you die a little inside?

Thought that was reserved for Colin White.
Old 02-03-2009, 01:48 PM   #1233
Pumpy Tudors
Bounty Hunter

HELP
Old 02-03-2009, 01:49 PM   #1234
DeToxRox
Head Coach

Quote:
Thought that was reserved for Colin White.

Pumpy only hates him because of his last name.

His favorite player is still Mike Grier, or as Pumpy calls him, Ice LeBron.
Old 02-03-2009, 01:50 PM   #1235
Honolulu_Blue
Hockey Boy

Quote:
My girlfriends little bro plays on one of the teams Klima coaches ... All he does is swear at his two sons in Czech.

Well, if they're anything like their dad they probably float around a lot and play shitty defense, so... I'm sure they have it coming.
Old 02-03-2009, 01:54 PM   #1236
RendeR
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Galaxy View Post
Jeez....

This could get pretty ugly into the third.

I was actually enjoying how much more physical they played. I really love watching Kaleta get into it and I'm glad they're letting him drop the gloves more. The guy plays with no concern for his body at all.

As for the game, I want to beat Pronger in the face with a large hammer. His smug attitude just pisses me off.

Unfortunately the Sabres just never got back into a rhythm in the 3rd. Ducks dominated the last two periods and we forgot how to pass the puck.

overall a good road trip for the Sabres though. They're hanging tough in the fight for those last 2 playoff spots. I worry about a pittsburgh streak towards the end of the season though. That teams got too much talent to be floundering so badly this year.
RendeR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2009, 01:56 PM   #1237
DeToxRox
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by Honolulu_Blue View Post
Well, if they're anything like their dad they probably float around a lot and play shitty defense, so... I'm sure they have it coming.

His kids are pretty decent.

His wife is as well.
Old 02-03-2009, 01:59 PM   #1238
Logan
Head Coach

Quote:
HELP

The best part is I know I'm going to see highlights of Graves' wraparound at least twice during the ceremony.

And then I'm gonna go home and catch up on the DVR. You know, the Graves special on MSG at 5pm. And then the next Graves special at 6. And then the actual ceremony.

That means that there will probably be upwards of 10 times tonight where I see THIS PLAY:

Old 02-03-2009, 02:08 PM   #1239
Honolulu_Blue
Hockey Boy

Quote:
His kids are pretty decent.

His wife is as well.

That's my boy!
Old 02-03-2009, 02:26 PM   #1240
DeToxRox
Head Coach

HB - How have you liked Leino in the two games he's played? He has shown some great offensive skill, and can really fit into what the team does. Honestly, if there were a way to get rid of Sammy right now, I'd feel comfortable with Leino in the top 9 forwards from here on out.
Old 02-03-2009, 02:49 PM   #1241
Pumpy Tudors
Bounty Hunter

i'm pretty much done here

devils playing against some bitches tonight i dunno who maybe the capitals or something anyway go devils peace
Old 02-03-2009, 02:53 PM   #1242
Dr. Sak
Grizzled Veteran

Bye Bundle Dick
Dr. Sak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2009, 02:58 PM   #1243
Honolulu_Blue
Hockey Boy

Quote:
HB - How have you liked Leino in the two games he's played? He has shown some great offensive skill, and can really fit into what the team does. Honestly, if there were a way to get rid of Sammy right now, I'd feel comfortable with Leino in the top 9 forwards from here on out.

I've been impressed. That goal he scored against Washington was super impressive. I totally agree. I would gladly jettison Sammuelsson. While I have nothing against Sammy, I also have nothing for him. He doesn't frustrate me like Lilja does or Lang did, but he also rarely thrills me. I'd be more than happy to have Leino take his place among the top 9.
Old 02-03-2009, 03:07 PM   #1244
Logan
Head Coach

Quote:
i'm pretty much done here

devils playing against some bitches tonight i dunno who maybe the capitals or something anyway go devils peace

If it makes you feel any better, watching that video reminded me of the awful Liberty jerseys. Of course, those weren't as bad as the god-awful white Liberty jerseys.
Old 02-03-2009, 03:13 PM   #1245
DeToxRox
Head Coach

Quote:
If it makes you feel any better, watching that video reminded me of the awful Liberty jerseys. Of course, those weren't as bad as the god-awful white Liberty jerseys.

Thank God the Isles showed a drive to be better then the Rangers at something.
Old 02-03-2009, 03:28 PM   #1246
Logan
Head Coach

Fishsticks!
Old 02-03-2009, 07:19 PM   #1247
henry296
College Starter

Logan - Will they also show the slash on Lemieux 10 times too? That's my best memory of Adam Graves.
Old 02-03-2009, 10:30 PM   #1248
Galaxy
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by RendeR View Post
I was actually enjoying how much more physical they played. I really love watching Kaleta get into it and I'm glad they're letting him drop the gloves more. The guy plays with no concern for his body at all.

As for the game, I want to beat Pronger in the face with a large hammer. His smug attitude just pisses me off.

Unfortunately the Sabres just never got back into a rhythm in the 3rd. Ducks dominated the last two periods and we forgot how to pass the puck.

overall a good road trip for the Sabres though. They're hanging tough in the fight for those last 2 playoff spots. I worry about a pittsburgh streak towards the end of the season though. That teams got too much talent to be floundering so badly this year.

Yeah.

One problem I've noticed is when they try to get physical like last night, they seem to over-do it to the point that it takes away from their game.
Old 02-03-2009, 10:51 PM   #1249
Logan
Head Coach

Quote:
Logan - Will they also show the slash on Lemieux 10 times too? That's my best memory of Adam Graves.

Don't know what you're talking about!

It was a really fun night...right up until they dropped the puck. Then the Rangers played like shit until Naslund tied it up with 10 seconds left.

The ceremony was awesome though and was a great experience.
Old 02-04-2009, 08:56 AM   #1250
Maple Leafs
Coordinator

Nik Hagman had the goal of the year last night. Get bodychecked by the ref, kneed in the head, get hit in the face with the puck, then get up and deke out the entire team to score.

I bet Ovechkin steals that for the next skills competition.

Last edited by Maple Leafs : 02-04-2009 at 08:56 AM.
Maple Leafs is offline   Reply With Quote