Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Archives > FOFC Archive
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 07-22-2008, 12:37 PM   #1201
Mizzou B-ball fan
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by gstelmack View Post
So you take a free game copy and rip off some store by trading it in?

Is there something illegal about trading into Gamestop when you're through with it?
Mizzou B-ball fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2008, 12:41 PM   #1202
Logan
Head Coach

We should have an "NCAA 09 Bugs Thread" or "NCAA 09 Second Impressions" where he can wallow on his own while the rest of us can speak about what it's like to actually play the game.
Logan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2008, 12:46 PM   #1203
Pumpy Tudors
Bounty Hunter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Logan View Post
We should have an "NCAA 09 Bugs Thread" or "NCAA 09 Second Impressions" where he can wallow on his own while the rest of us can speak about what it's like to actually play the game.
I'LL TELL YOU WHAT IT'S LIKE TO ACTUALLY PLAY THE GAME

IT'S A RIPOFF

I KNOW THIS

AND I WILL TELL YOU AGAIN AFTER I PLAY IT

I MEAN DAMN HOW HARD IS THIS TO FIGURE OUT
Old 07-22-2008, 12:50 PM   #1204
gstelmack
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mizzou B-ball fan View Post
Is there something illegal about trading into Gamestop when you're through with it?

Games that didn't go through a retail channel first? Let's just say it's at the very least a shady practice, and may violate the terms under which you or your buddy or whoever were given the game in the first place. Making cash off, say, a review copy or an employee-store purchased copy is most certainly an abuse of the system.
Old 07-22-2008, 02:29 PM   #1205
Galaxy
Coordinator

Quote:

Why do you deflect every question with another, slightly off-point question?

Last edited by Galaxy : 07-22-2008 at 02:48 PM.
Galaxy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2008, 03:46 PM   #1206
Pumpy Tudors
Bounty Hunter

I'm wondering if I should buy the game tonight.

See, I'm normally one of those guys who buys NCAA on release day. I've even done the midnight release thing before. It's my most anticipated game every year. Last week, I was out of town, so I didn't bother buying it when it came out. Now I'm home, and I have to admit that this thread has me on the fence. I haven't read any reviews, and I haven't read any impressions that didn't come from this thread.

I guess I want to be sure that most of you guys are having fun with the game. I'm not really hardcore about gameplay or anything. Honestly, the only NCAA Football game that felt "broken" to me was NCAA 2005 because of all the dropped passes. I thoroughly enjoyed every other one that's been released in the past few years. I didn't even have get bothered much by the interceptions in last year's game.

I guess I should be fine with this year's game, right? Even in single player dynasty mode?
Old 07-22-2008, 03:55 PM   #1207
Atocep
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pumpy Tudors View Post

See, I'm normally one of those guys who buys NCAA on release day. I've even done the midnight release thing before. It's my most anticipated game every year. Last week, I was out of town, so I didn't bother buying it when it came out. Now I'm home, and I have to admit that this thread has me on the fence. I haven't read any reviews, and I haven't read any impressions that didn't come from this thread.

I guess I want to be sure that most of you guys are having fun with the game. I'm not really hardcore about gameplay or anything. Honestly, the only NCAA Football game that felt "broken" to me was NCAA 2005 because of all the dropped passes. I thoroughly enjoyed every other one that's been released in the past few years. I didn't even have get bothered much by the interceptions in last year's game.

I guess I should be fine with this year's game, right? Even in single player dynasty mode?

This is the first version I've bought since '04 and I'm having quite a bit of fun with it, even in single player. I really thought some the AI issues that have been mentioned would bother me, but any problems I've had have been offset by simply how fun the game is.

So yes, there are bugs. Yes, there are some AI annoyances. Yes, the game seems to be fun for most of the people that actually own the game.
Atocep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2008, 04:02 PM   #1208
Kodos
Resident Alien

And I encourage you to try out online versus FOFCers. It is a blast.
Old 07-22-2008, 04:09 PM   #1209
Eaglesfan27
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pumpy Tudors View Post

If you enjoyed last year's version and never got bothered by interceptions, I think you'll enjoy this year's version. I'm just very disappointed that online dynasties are broken as this was a huge selling point for me. Also, the issue with sliders is going to make it difficult for me to find a set of sliders that I enjoy that don't produce either high interception totals or high QB completion percentages. That being said, I've enjoyed every online game and if this online league gets patched, I'll definitely get my money's worth.
Eaglesfan27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2008, 05:03 PM   #1210
rowech
Pro Starter

Man guys...I come home from 10 days in Phoenix and now I'm not sure about buying this.
rowech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2008, 05:11 PM   #1211
kingnebwsu
College Benchwarmer

I've been having fun with it...and that's really hard for me to say as an EA-hater. The game is far from perfect, but it's *mostly* fun. The lack of a working online dynasty definitely would have affected my decision had I known when the game launched. If I was out of town upon release and came back home and was looking to buy it...I would buy it used somewhere. Even though you'd only save $5-$10 from buying it used at Gamestop (for example), you at least wouldn't be funding the EA machine. To me that's an important thing

BTW, in case anyone is interested, trade-in value at Blockbuster is $35 store credit right now and I believe someone mentioned that it's $40 credit if you put it toward the pre-order for Madden 09 at Gamestop.

They need to seriously fix the online league ASAP...very frustrating.
kingnebwsu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2008, 05:43 PM   #1212
Ironhead
College Prospect

From the developer over at OS regarding the issues with Online Dynasty:

Quote:
Originally Posted by OMT
We have been looking into the issues that some people are experiencing with games not being updated and people having their dynasty "hijacked" the last two days. The engineers have found the problem, but aren't yet sure how it is happening. We are probably going to take a preventative approach if we cannot find the bug.

In a nutshell, files aren't always getting uploaded to the correct locker but instead to someone else. Our server guys have estimated this effects 2% the lockers.

We have found that we can repair broken dynasties by removing the bad files from affected lockers. We used Pasta Padre as a test case because we have contact info for him and it seems to have worked. We have been also using the following gamertag's lockers for investigating the problem and will attempt to fix them next:

mhaze123
Stunna
scarfoe1
dmk2789
surestchamp

If the owners over the above gamertags read this post, please PM me with an email address and phone number in case we have some questions to help narrow this down.

Once we have figured out how to fix all the issues, we are going to run an automated script against all lockers to clear the issue, then prevent it from happening again. Right now it looks like all the fixes will be server side and not require a patch.

On the subject of a second patch, we are planning on getting it out a couple weeks earlier than originally planned. So I should have an update for what is going to be fixed in it pretty soon.
Ironhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2008, 05:49 PM   #1213
RainMaker
General Manager

That's good news on the online dynasty front. But 2% of all lockers? Come on. Just about everyone who has tried to run an online dynasty has run into this issue.
RainMaker is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2008, 06:08 PM   #1214
MizzouRah
Hall Of Famer

Quote:

No, but it sounds a bit shaddy in what I think you are doing here. Oh well, to each his own.. I'm not the gaming police or anything, just find this to be a bit odd.
MizzouRah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2008, 06:19 PM   #1215
MizzouRah
Hall Of Famer

I rented it last night and I'd have to say I'm having alot of fun so far. Even with it's flaws (which honestly, so far I haven't really noticed many), I think it plays a fun game of college football.

So much so, I think I'll pick up a retail copy on Friday when I start my vacation.

Very first game, Mizzou vs NC.. was down 21-0 at halftime (yikes I'm rusty) - came back to tie the game at 21 late in the game when Goldsmith takes a cross route pass from Chase Daniel (as he was just about to get creamed) jumps over the defender and goes 54 yards for the score!! It was one of those OMG gaming moments... very cool....

I lost 28-21, but it was one of the most fun console football games I've had in awhile.

Forgot to save the highlight though! DOH!!

It's very early in my game playing, but so far I'm liking the overall package.

1. Running game is improved - favorite part so far
2. Animations - many, many more and they look great
3. Beautiful on my 46" HDTV
4. Controls really seem responsive this year
5. I love the way the CPU kicks away from Macklin on kickoffs and tries to work the ball to their big time players on offense

Who's a rookie around here I can play?
Old 07-22-2008, 06:50 PM   #1216
Atocep
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Icy View Post
Despite the flaws, i'm having a blast with Campus Legend. It's basicaly the same as past year, but with the 60fps in the PS3 and the more fluid movements i'm loving it. I'm playing two CL, one as RB in Boise State and another as SS in Mizzou and enjoying every second of it.

Now that i have found a good set of sliders for me ( njpapi's 3.5 ) and a real roster set without any kind of bug for the PS3, i want to start a dynasty with USF as I aways do, but i keep saying, just one more game in CL... and have been that way for 3 days already.

I tried these out a bit and they're far and away the best I've played with. I bumped running back ability up to 50 and made a couple other small tweaks and I see much more realistic football now. Other slider sets seem to get the stats right in the end, but this gets very solid stats and a great feel as you play. The main problem I've seen is with RB ability at 45 the AI is only average at running the ball, but as I mentioned above, I kicked it up to 50 and it helped some.

I'd strongly suggest more people try these out. They're not perfect, but I've seen the AI playcalling improve drastically. I'm seeing more (still not enough) downfield passing, a decent running game, gang tackling, and no more dink and dunk you death down the field.
Atocep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2008, 07:45 PM   #1217
gstelmack
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by RainMaker View Post
That's good news on the online dynasty front. But 2% of all lockers? Come on. Just about everyone who has tried to run an online dynasty has run into this issue.

If each XBox Live member that plays NCAA gets a locker, then we're talking about 2% of their players trying online dynasty. That may not be that far off. They didn't say 2% of online dynastys, just 2% of the lockers.
Old 07-22-2008, 07:58 PM   #1218
SirFozzie
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by gstelmack View Post
If each XBox Live member that plays NCAA gets a locker, then we're talking about 2% of their players trying online dynasty. That may not be that far off. They didn't say 2% of online dynastys, just 2% of the lockers.

More like it happens 2% of the time someone tries to upload their data..
Old 07-22-2008, 08:41 PM   #1219
TCY Junkie
College Prospect

I like this game pretty well. The one thing that gets me is in CL mode while QB I throw a short pass to the RB and he runs sideways out of bounds(about 7 times in 15 games and usually 3rd and short and no one is around).
On Heisman when playing away, they scramble the buttons for the receivers and make those short passes to the far WR's too hard. And the difference in talent level is huge, FR CL QB CINN @ OU. That was a big step up, when used to HS teams.

Also in another CL mode my power RB has 99 speed 2 games in his FR yr.

I had very high hopes after playing nhl 08, its fun but hope dynasty is much better than my experience with CL. This are my intial impressions which may change, but I definitely enjoy the game.

Maybe I should get a gold membership again. I have only lost I game in all my college football gaming life. I not saying I'm good just the people I play against are that bad.

TCY Junkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2008, 09:37 PM   #1220
kingnebwsu
College Benchwarmer

hxxp://sports.ign.com/articles/892/892808p1.html

You need to see IGN's simulation of the 2008 season. Tell me how many errors you find in their sentences. I'm not talking about grammatical errors or how Oregon State or Indiana went 11-1 errors. But improper phrases or, more importantly, downright wrong information. I found two. The one about who played in the SEC championship made me giggle.

Discuss
kingnebwsu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2008, 11:08 PM   #1221
TCY Junkie
College Prospect

I like it its like a brain exercise.

Old 07-22-2008, 11:54 PM   #1222
RainMaker
General Manager

One of the better posts I've seen about the game:

Dubious Quality: NCAA Football 09

I hope EA takes a look at that and can fix it.
Old 07-23-2008, 12:31 AM   #1223
Bigsmooth
College Prospect

Quote:

Play against somebody controlling Percy Harvin or Noel Devine online and you will know exactly what he is talking about. There is really nothing you can do to stop these guys in the flats consistently. Rediculous.
Bigsmooth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2008, 03:40 AM   #1224
korme
Go Reds

Anyone have a clue how to make an extra user? I can't for the life of me add another user besides my own... my roomate wants his records to save, naturally. Anyone figure that out?
korme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2008, 06:06 AM   #1225
Raiders Army
Coordinator

Quote:

This was the best part of that:

Quote:
Tiburon, though, will have something right, then break it the following year. They seem to be unable to determine what works and what is good versus what is broken.
Raiders Army is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2008, 07:45 AM   #1226
Mizzou B-ball fan
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by Galaxy View Post
Why do you deflect every question with another, slightly off-point question?

It was very much on point. gstelmack and I discussed it offline. No big deal. Sorry that it bothered you so much.
Old 07-23-2008, 08:26 AM   #1227
gstelmack
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by korme View Post
Anyone have a clue how to make an extra user? I can't for the life of me add another user besides my own... my roomate wants his records to save, naturally. Anyone figure that out?

On the 360, go to the Dashboard and create another profile.
Old 07-23-2008, 08:31 AM   #1228
Kodos
Resident Alien

Shorty is on PS3, I believe. Although the solution is probably similar.
Old 07-23-2008, 08:49 AM   #1229
Mizzou B-ball fan
General Manager

Quote:

Bill's done this kind of analysis on games several times. He does a great job of taking the concerns about games that arise in the gaming community and actually finding the real reasons behind why the game isn't working anywhere close to the level that it should rather than just saying it's a bug.

I really want to believe that EA is trying to make the game better. I know that the developers have interacted with the OS forums quite a bit. My concern is that I can't tell if they're doing that to put out fires or if their interested in improving the game. Bill Harris, Bill Abner, and Pasta Padre have all done a great job of providing substantial information as to things that are severely broken in the game engine and game modes. I don't doubt one bit that if the development team took the '09 game and corrected all of the problems mentioned in those three sources along with the bug reports at the OS forums that they'd have a great game on their hands. I wouldn't even complain that it was a 2009.2 version of the game.

They have all the modes and visuals needed to make a great game here. They just have to fix what's broken at this point. Taking a year to do that would be the best thing EA has ever done.

Last edited by Mizzou B-ball fan : 07-23-2008 at 08:49 AM.
Old 07-23-2008, 10:45 AM   #1230
MizzouRah
Hall Of Famer

It kills me how people spend all this time breaking down each and every flaw within a game. I find it quite boring...
Old 07-23-2008, 10:50 AM   #1231
Sun Tzu
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by MizzouRah View Post
It kills me how people spend all this time breaking down each and every flaw within a game. I find it quite boring...

+1
Old 07-23-2008, 10:51 AM   #1232
KWhit
Coordinator

Wow at this.

Couldn't figure out how to embed it....

YouTube - NCAA 09 Glitch
KWhit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2008, 10:58 AM   #1233
MacroGuru
Coordinator

What public locker has the named roster downloads for the 360?
Old 07-23-2008, 11:01 AM   #1234
Eaglesfan27
Hall Of Famer

I got mine from TJdasportsguy who is a well known poster on OS. Just keep in mind that the roster patch hasn't been released - in fact the developer on OS said today that MS and Sony have both let him know they are "backed up" and the certification process probably won't be done until the 1st week of August.

Last edited by Eaglesfan27 : 07-23-2008 at 11:05 AM.
Old 07-23-2008, 11:06 AM   #1235
Eaglesfan27
Hall Of Famer

Dola -

In a different thread, the same developer said that it isn't a promise, but a rough timeline is that the 2nd patch (the gameplay patch) will be out "by September."

Last edited by Eaglesfan27 : 07-23-2008 at 11:07 AM.
Old 07-23-2008, 11:48 AM   #1236
Kodos
Resident Alien

Quote:
Originally Posted by KWhit View Post
Wow at this.

YouTube - NCAA 09 Glitch

Man. Those Hurricanes are HYPED.
Old 07-23-2008, 01:05 PM   #1237
Galaxy
Coordinator

An off-note topic, but if you're interested in playing in the FOFC tournament (since it looks like the dynasties will be delayed), go sign up in this thread:

Online Dynasty Server problems - Front Office Football Central
Galaxy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2008, 01:53 PM   #1238
Bigsmooth
College Prospect

Quote:

I pretty much agree. It is quite shocking though, how bad EA butchered some facets of this game. Just incredible really. Thanks to the internet, they can be held accountable which is great.
Bigsmooth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2008, 02:08 PM   #1239
Cringer
Grizzled Veteran

In Campus Legend mode, the Texas QB is an asshole. The guy is a ball hog as well.

Having fun though, and it will be better if he graduates after my freshman year. I need to check on that right now.
Old 07-23-2008, 02:23 PM   #1240
korme
Go Reds

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kodos View Post
Shorty is on PS3, I believe. Although the solution is probably similar.

Nah, there is no such Dashboardy thing with the PS3... if you push in the PS3 button that is similar to the Xbox dashboard, I get three options - turn off controller, turn off game, turn off system.
korme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2008, 06:07 PM   #1241
MizzouRah
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eaglesfan27 View Post
I got mine from TJdasportsguy who is a well known poster on OS. Just keep in mind that the roster patch hasn't been released - in fact the developer on OS said today that MS and Sony have both let him know they are "backed up" and the certification process probably won't be done until the 1st week of August.

So, can you use that named roster to play games with?
Old 07-23-2008, 06:21 PM   #1242
Groundhog
Coordinator

Got it yesterday. Didn't get much time to play, but started up a Campus Legend game as a RB. First game we smashed the other team like 37-0 and I had a couple of nice 20+ yard TD runs. Second game was against a better team but we still won 27-17. Definately need to take your time with the running game and look at the blocking before turboing. Still, my favourite play I pulled off was a very nice block on a passing play that ensured a TD.
Old 07-23-2008, 06:38 PM   #1243
SirFozzie
Hall Of Famer

Groundhog: Were you playing Varsity or All-American? Varsity is "You Win" level
Old 07-23-2008, 06:43 PM   #1244
Groundhog
Coordinator

Honestly, I don't know. I didn't change any settings at all, so it was probably varsity. I only had 30 mins to play before heading out and just wanted to get a taste of it.
Old 07-23-2008, 07:03 PM   #1245
TCY Junkie
College Prospect

I just had a play rated 1307 in greatness, is that good. It was the first game for Mia and the other team was rated 30. haha
I laughed my butt off at how slow they were. I justed changed direction 5 different times on players and made them look silly, it was easy because they probably had a maximum speed of 65.

In CL mode do long runs in HS affect your RB that much. My FR power RB has 99 for speed before a game played. I don't think the answer matters because I'm getting into this dynasty I just started using the Heisman sliders posted above. Does anyone have a great AA slider setting?

Last edited by TCY Junkie : 07-23-2008 at 07:04 PM.
Old 07-23-2008, 07:10 PM   #1246
Eaglesfan27
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
So, can you use that named roster to play games with?

Yes, you can (and the names appear in online games as well.) However, with the roster bug I wouldn't start a dynasty with any roster sets for fear that it will become corrupt down the road.
Old 07-23-2008, 07:45 PM   #1247
RainMaker
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by KWhit View Post
Wow at this.

YouTube - NCAA 09 Glitch
Those things don't bother me much to be honest. They usually are an extremely rare thing that happens maybe once in every couple hundred games. It's probably also near impossible to test for and replicate. Every game will have issues that lock it up and put it in a loop.

It's the bugs that can be found within hours of playing the game that bother me. There's just no excuse to have major issues with sliders, rosters, and dynasties.
Old 07-23-2008, 07:47 PM   #1248
RainMaker
General Manager

Quote:
Dola -

In a different thread, the same developer said that it isn't a promise, but a rough timeline is that the 2nd patch (the gameplay patch) will be out "by September."
I don't get why they release this game so early. They should throw out beta copies to people, let them find the bugs, then release the game in late August. It seems like all sports games are just being sent out real buggy and then waiting for a patch a couple months later. Even my favorite game, College Hoops 2K8 was kind of buggy out of the box and required a patch.

It's just getting to a point where we should skip preordering and wait to buy the game at the first patch.
Old 07-23-2008, 08:46 PM   #1249
Mike1409
High School Varsity

http://www.xbox.com/en-US/games/n/nc...nd/default.htm

Are You Ready for Big Play Weekend?

Don't wait for the start of college football season—get into the game all weekend long with NCAAź Football 09 from EA SPORTS! Test out your skills on the virtual gridiron against the creators from EA SPORTS Tiburon, or simply jump online in our Play & Win Sweepstakes for your chance to take home great prizes from Microsoft and EA SPORTS. Are you ready for Big Play Saturday?

Are you ready for big-time college football?

We've got a whole weekend of events in store to celebrate the release of NCAA Football 09. Legendary running back Eric Dickerson joins the development team from EA SPORTS to kick things off on Friday night, and we've got a three-day sweepstakes that will send one lucky winner and a friend to a college bowl game!

Play & Win Sweepstakes

Register your gamertag now and get ready for a whole weekend of furious gridiron action! From 12:01 A.M. (ET) on Friday, July 25 until 11:59 P.M. (ET) on Sunday July 27, you'll get an entry into the sweepstakes when you play a multiplayer NCAA Football 09 match online. You'll score a new entry into the swepstakes for each different day you play online.

We've got some great prizes up for grabs, including Xbox 360 Elite consoles, games autographed by Darren McFadden, and even a trip for two to an college bowl game.

You can also register for the sweepstakes by downloading the free NCAA Football 09 LIVE Weekend Gamer Picture from Xbox LIVE Marketplace.

Get more details on the Play & Win Sweepstakes.

NO PURCHASE NECESSARY. Open only to legal residents of the 50 United States (includes D.C.) 13+. Game ends July 27, 2008. For details including free, alternate method of entry, see the Official Rules.

Game with Developers

Are you ready to test out the all-new Breakaway Engine in NCAA Football 09? Now is your chance to learn some new moves against the team at EA SPORTS Tiburon. Log on between 4:00-7:00 P.M. Eastern time (1:00-4:00 P.M. PT) on Friday, July 25 and look for one of team members below to go head-to-head:

NCAADevBilly: Billy Wilson, Engineer
NCAADevJordan: Jordan Peterson, Engineer
NCAADevMichael: Michael Weisbecker, Quality Assurance
NCAADevEJ: E.J. Samuel, Artist
NCAADevThien: Thien Nguyen, Engineer
NCAADevSeann: Seann Graddy, Program Manager
NCAADevNate: Nate Lyons Smith, Designer

Game with Fame

Think you can jump in and play with the greatest? He set the NFL rushing record in 1984, and finished his career with 90 touchdowns. Now you can take the field against Hall-of-Fame running back Eric Dickerson. He'll be online Friday, July 25 from 8:00- 10:00 P.M. Eastern time (5:00-7:00 P.M. PT) Look for the gamertag GWFNCAAEric29

All the FOFC players need to try and get a game with these guys and let them know what we think about the game!

Last edited by Mike1409 : 07-23-2008 at 08:47 PM.
Mike1409 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2008, 08:50 PM   #1250
MizzouRah
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Yes, you can (and the names appear in online games as well.) However, with the roster bug I wouldn't start a dynasty with any roster sets for fear that it will become corrupt down the road.

Ok.. thanks.. so just wait until the bug is fixed before downloading any rosters, correct?