Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Archives > FOFC Archive
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 04-23-2008, 04:36 AM   #1201
Mota
College Benchwarmer

Quote:
Originally Posted by law90026 View Post
That's one of my frustrations with American Idol, the requirement that they sign stupidly different genres every week. Seriously, how many of these people are going to release an album that has that wide a range of songs in it? How many of them are going to sing 60s songs/opera/etc as a career?

I agree. They're completely exposing each of these singers repeatedly and showing you all their flaws. Stuff like this doesn't drive people to the stores or Itunes to buy new albums. Let the singers show us what kind of album they'd record, and let us judge them based on that. If Mr. X is a great death metal singer, making him sing Abba songs does nothing towards letting us know that.
Mota is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2008, 07:50 AM   #1202
Mustang
Grizzled Veteran

I don't mind the generic type genres (60s/70s/etc), but it is these singer specific genres that are just for shit. (Other than doing 1 week of the Beatles)

I won't think they would ever have complete control over what they could sing just given that I'm sure not everything is allowed, but they could at least get creative. Pick a song from a European, A song from the last year, a song from someone within 100 miles of your hometown...
You, you will regret what you have done this day. I will make you regret ever being born. Your going to wish you never left your mothers womb, where it was warm and safe... and wet. i am going to show you pain you never knew existed, you are going to see a whole new spectrum of pain, like a Rainboooow. But! This rainbow is not just like any other rainbow, its...
Mustang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2008, 07:58 AM   #1203
Ksyrup
This guy has posted so much, his fingers are about to fall off.

I'll admit I tuned out Archuleta almost as soon as he started, but did anyone who was paying close attention notice that he flubbed the second verse? The dude from EW was all over it, and mentioned that the camera switched to the back of his head at the moment he had his difficulties. I completely missed that.

After Dial Idol completely blew it last week, I'm not sure what to think now, but I agree on the bottom 3, probably not in that order, though.
M's pitcher Miguel Batista: "Now, I feel like I've had everything. I've talked pitching with Sandy Koufax, had Kenny G play for me. Maybe if I could have an interview with God, then I'd be served. I'd be complete."
Ksyrup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2008, 08:14 AM   #1204
Eaglesfan27
Hall Of Famer

Yeah, definitely not that order, but that would be my bottom 3 as well.
Eaglesfan27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2008, 08:31 AM   #1205
Vince
Pro Starter

I have no problem picking a bottom two, but the third is a toss-up to me. I really think there are only two safe people going into tonight's show.
Every time a Dodger scores a run, an angel has its wings ripped off by a demon, and is forced to tearfully beg the demon to cauterize the wounds.The demon will refuse, and the sobbing angel will lie in a puddle of angel blood and feathers for eternity, wondering why the Dodgers are allowed to score runs.That’s not me talking: that’s science. McCoveyChronicles.com.
Vince is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2008, 08:46 AM   #1206
JeeberD
General Manager

That was probably my favorite Archuletta performance of the season... *shrug*

I solemnly swear to never cheer for TO
JeeberD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2008, 08:52 AM   #1207
Ksyrup

Quote:
Originally Posted by JeeberD View Post
That was probably my favorite Archuletta performance of the season... *shrug*

How could you tell?
M's pitcher Miguel Batista: "Now, I feel like I've had everything. I've talked pitching with Sandy Koufax, had Kenny G play for me. Maybe if I could have an interview with God, then I'd be served. I'd be complete."
Old 04-23-2008, 09:14 AM   #1208
JeeberD
General Manager

Probably 'cause I actually knew the song, for once...

I solemnly swear to never cheer for TO
JeeberD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2008, 09:21 AM   #1209
Ksyrup

I'm just messing with you. It doesn't really matter the song, every performance he gives sounds identical to me. I couldn't tell any of his songs apart. I've never seen someone so young who can sing have such a limited performance/genre range. Randy said he can sing anything, which is technically true if he turns it into an adult contemporary song.
Old 04-23-2008, 09:26 AM   #1210
MJ4H
Coordinator

and Brooke turns everything into a Carole King song and Syesha turns everything into a Warbling Whitney song and Jason turns everything into a Stoner Ballad and David Cook turns everything into Daughtry Rock and Carly turns everything into a Shrieking Mess. Or like something, I dunno, Pat Benatar? Whatever. Yeah they all do that to a degree.

It's sort of strange because on one hand you have people complaining about how AI demands too wide a range, from singing ABBA to Cats to the Beatles to Disco. On the other hand you have people complaining that the performance don't have a wide enough range of style.

EDIT: It doesn't bother me that they adapt songs to their personal style or that they choose songs that are in styles they do well. I understand it can seem to get old, but that is pretty much what others are asking for. Just show us what you do well and we will decide if we like it. Some are put off by that, but apparently others are put off for singing ABBA one week and Bon Jovi the next.

Last edited by MJ4H : 04-23-2008 at 09:29 AM.
MJ4H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2008, 09:28 AM   #1211
rkmsuf
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by MattJones4Heisman View Post
and Brooke turns everything into a Carole King song and Syesha turns everything into a Warbling Whitney song and Jason turns everything into a Stoner Ballad and David Cook turns everything into Daughtry Rock and Carly turns everything into a Shrieking Mess. Or like something, I dunno, Pat Benatar? Whatever. Yeah they all do that to a degree.

It's sort of strange because on one hand you have people complaining about how AI demands too wide a range, from singing ABBA to Cats to the Beatles to Disco. On the other hand you have people complaining that the performance don't have a wide enough range of style.

or maybe they all just suck
Old 04-23-2008, 09:32 AM   #1212
Ksyrup

I agree on Brooke and Castro. But I think Carly and Syesha and DC have all done different things this year, fairly successfully. DC last night was out of the ordinary for him, as was Syesha (and as an actress/singer, it's what she probably should have been doing all season - Doolittle Lite); and Carly's quiet song from a few weeks back was pretty good. Archuleta, the only time he has gone uptempo or even off of the adult contempary/inspirational sound was a trainwreck.
Old 04-23-2008, 09:37 AM   #1213
MJ4H
Coordinator

I agree they occassionally go outside their zones. I just think it is a little unrealistic and unfair to call out a contestant for doing what they do well when they all do it. Going outside of that can be a good thing to show a little range, but it is a risk. Judges do call them out for taking risks unwisely and for being too safe on occassion. I guess it is factored in.
Old 04-23-2008, 10:02 AM   #1214
Ksyrup

I guess what I'm looking for is the contestant's own sound, not a homogenous sound they perform in every week. There are plenty of artists who have a "sound" but can do different things that don't sound at all alike, but the music is still recognizable as that artist's.

I guess my biggest problem with Archuleta is that he doesn't seem to have an identity of his own. Or maybe he has one, but it's so bland and out of the ordinary for someone his age that it's really perplexing to consider how he is marketable to anyone under 45. They stuff he's performing, and the style he's performing it in, taken out of the AI context, would be laughed out of a producer's office. The closest comparison is Clay Aiken, and he's obviously not selling to the young crowd. I think that's the fly in the ointment with this kid. He's young, but he doesn't act like it.
Old 04-23-2008, 10:06 AM   #1215
MJ4H
Coordinator

Eh. I like Clay, too.

EDIT: Should've won over Rueben, easy.

Last edited by MJ4H : 04-23-2008 at 10:06 AM.
Old 04-23-2008, 10:07 AM   #1216
rkmsuf
Head Coach

Quote:
Eh. I like Clay, too.

Don't ever tell that to anyone again. Ever.
Old 04-23-2008, 10:08 AM   #1217
Mustang
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ksyrup View Post
I think that's the fly in the ointment with this kid. He's young, but he doesn't act like it.

Which is amazing that the judges don't call him out on this. They have routinely in the past jabbed at contestants for not being modern enough. David A is even trying to be modern.
You, you will regret what you have done this day. I will make you regret ever being born. Your going to wish you never left your mothers womb, where it was warm and safe... and wet. i am going to show you pain you never knew existed, you are going to see a whole new spectrum of pain, like a Rainboooow. But! This rainbow is not just like any other rainbow, its...
Mustang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2008, 10:10 AM   #1218
rkmsuf
Head Coach

What was that terrible song he did that he claimed was one of his favorite songs?

That in and of itself is ultra disturbing.
Old 04-23-2008, 10:44 AM   #1219
Ksyrup

Yeah, that David Foster song somebody from New Zealand or something sang back in 1990. That was one of the worst songs I've ever heard. It was like South Park parody song, except it was totally serious.
Old 04-23-2008, 03:22 PM   #1220
Eaglesfan27
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
David Cook turns everything into Daughtry Rock

Except he didn't last night which is part of why it was a great performance.
Old 04-23-2008, 03:28 PM   #1221
cuervo72
Head Coach

Eh, the end was going there a little bit.
Old 04-23-2008, 03:31 PM   #1222
Danny
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by rkmsuf View Post
What was that terrible song he did that he claimed was one of his favorite songs?

That in and of itself is ultra disturbing.

The band who does that song happens to be one my favorites as well. Not generally one of the bands you would see on AI, but his rendition of it in the studio version was good.
Danny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2008, 03:36 PM   #1223
Ksyrup

Quote:
Originally Posted by Danny View Post
The band who does that song happens to be one my favorites as well. Not generally one of the bands you would see on AI, but his rendition of it in the studio version was good.

Are you thinking of the right song? I think smurf's talking about You're the Voice, recorded by some Australian dude in 1985 and covered by Jeff Pescetto and David Foster in 1990. I am disturbed to see that Heart recorded a version of it, though.
Old 04-23-2008, 03:45 PM   #1224
Danny
Head Coach

Oh, I thought he was talking about Cook. I didn't care for that Archuletta song either. I don't really have a problem with contestants mostly sticking with their style though. Not that I'm specifically going to buy any albums from the contestants, but I obviously wouldn't buy a DA rock album or DC country album.
Danny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2008, 04:35 PM   #1225
MJ4H
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eaglesfan27 View Post
Except he didn't last night which is part of why it was a great performance.

Hmm I hadn't noticed.

Quote:
I agree they occassionally go outside their zones.

Oh yes I did.

I didn't think it was a great performance, incidentally. I thought it was quite passable and he made a decent stab at it, but nothing near what he usually does. I agree that going outside the comfort zone is nice. I don't agree it is horrible if they stick to what they are good at. After all, that is what they will probably be doing when they are making albums.
Old 04-23-2008, 07:36 PM   #1226
IrishHand
Mascot

Quote:
I agree that going outside the comfort zone is nice. I don't agree it is horrible if they stick to what they are good at. After all, that is what they will probably be doing when they are making albums.

Concur with your latter point. Though I had no love for her, Amanda Overmyer was probably smart about it (so is Castro, coincidentally) - just keep doing the sort of song you'd want to record/perform and do your best to build a fan base around that.

Nobody except for possibly Syesha will likely ever do musical theater, so it's pretty pointless imo to make them do it for this week's dog and pony show.
IrishHand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2008, 07:44 PM   #1227
law90026
College Benchwarmer

Did anyone catch the comment from Randy about how this week would suit the big voices better? Well.. duh!

I can live with different genres I guess (though it doesn't make sense to me) but to have genres that are catered more to certain kinds of voices just makes little sense.

Also, Andrew Lloyd Webber is kinda creepy.
law90026 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2008, 08:57 PM   #1228
ISiddiqui
Hall Of Famer

And Carly be gone.
Old 04-23-2008, 08:58 PM   #1229
MJ4H
Coordinator

Horrible choice. Even out of the two of them, Carly was miles better than Syesha overall.
Old 04-23-2008, 09:02 PM   #1230
Drake
assmaster

I'm just glad that I won't have to look at Carly's flabby arm fat flapping ever again.
Drake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2008, 09:06 PM   #1231
rowech
Pro Starter

All because she dared to sing about Jesus.
rowech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2008, 09:17 PM   #1232
Drake
assmaster

I think she got voted off because it's *American* Idol (dammit!). She and Michael Johns were doomed from the start.

Plus the arm flab, of course.
Drake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2008, 09:18 PM   #1233
MJ4H
Coordinator

The tattoos were way more offensive to me than the flab. Grody.
Old 04-23-2008, 09:21 PM   #1234
korme
Go Reds

Boo! hiss. Carly was one of the best.
korme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2008, 09:22 PM   #1235
EagleFan
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Horrible choice. Even out of the two of them, Carly was miles better than Syesha overall.

No way!!! Syesha looked hot as hell the other night.

Carly had great potential early on but has not gotten one bit better as the season has progressed. Syesha has been getting better each week and is easily above Carly at this time.

With that said... What the hell is dread lock boy still doing in the competition (other than being stoned out of his mind most of the time)?
EagleFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2008, 09:24 PM   #1236
law90026
College Benchwarmer

Quote:
Originally Posted by EagleFan View Post
No way!!! Syesha looked hot as hell the other night.

Truth.

Quote:
With that said... What the hell is dread lock boy still doing in the competition (other than being stoned out of his mind most of the time)?

Don't underestimate the powers of a pretty face. My wife absolutely adores him and I suspect a strong female vote is saving him right now, especially since his voice isn't terrible (like Sanjaya terrible).
law90026 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2008, 09:26 PM   #1237
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

Quote:
Originally Posted by rowech View Post
All because she dared to sing about Jesus.

my wife wondered the same thing
Lathum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2008, 09:35 PM   #1238
MJ4H
Coordinator

Odd, I didn't think I was commenting on their looks?
Old 04-23-2008, 09:38 PM   #1239
Ksyrup

After watching AI, then switching over to South Park and seeing a commercial for the new Mike Myers movie, I'm beginning to think Myers is the illegitimate child of Andrew Lloyd Webber.

That dude is fidgity as hell.
Old 04-23-2008, 09:40 PM   #1240
Ksyrup

Castro is so freaking annoying! Yawning backstage, then continually humming while he stood next to Carly and Ryan waiting to find out if he was safe. That dude is just not right in the head. And I think it goes way beyond smoking pot. He's just bizarre.
Old 04-23-2008, 09:51 PM   #1241
korme
Go Reds

Getting on stage probably makes you do odd things if you aren't used to it (maybe 10 times total since AI started doesn't count). I don't know if I'd be the coolest cat ever if I was up there
korme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2008, 09:52 PM   #1242
rjolley
College Starter

Quote:
Disagree. Carly and Syesha have been about equal. They both screamed on songs. Syesha made adjustments but got dinged for other issues. Carly adjusted a bit, but not as much.

Both, however, were miles better than Brooke and especially Jason. How in the world he's still there is beyond me. Maybe he's getting the "He's sooooo bad, we're gonna vote for him" votes.

I'm shocked Syesha wasn't voted off, but not because she was worse than Carly. It's more because she doesn't seem to have the support to stay in the race. I don't think she'll win, but I'd like to see her make it through to the top 3. Contrary to many opinions on here, I've liked her performances. Her problem has been she gets dinged for doing popular Whitney songs, even though she changed the arrangement somewhat on the Dolly one, then gets dinged for doing a lesser known Mariah song. However, others redo songs and don't get dinged as much.

Oh, and someone explain to me why Jason Castro is still on the show? He has sucked for awhile now.
rjolley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2008, 09:55 PM   #1243
Ksyrup

Chicks dig Castro. A few of the secretaries in our office love him. The explanation: "You'd have to be a girl to understand."
Old 04-23-2008, 10:06 PM   #1244
MJ4H
Coordinator

The difference between Carly and Syesha is the difference between in tune and out of tune. Also, Syesha's voice isn't quite big enough to pull of what she likes to try to do. It almost is, but it lacks that last little amount of punch to pull it off. Mostly it is the fact that she is out of tune way too often, though.

Carly clearly is shrieky, but she hits pitches by god.
Old 04-23-2008, 10:10 PM   #1245
rjolley
College Starter

That's the explanation my wife gave...something about the dreads make him look like a rebel or something. She thinks he looks feminine and the dreads help him to butch up and that he acts like a dumb blonde.

Either way, we both think he can't sing and have no idea why he's still on the show.
Old 04-23-2008, 10:11 PM   #1246
Ksyrup

Neither of them (Carly or Syesha) were going to win, or should have won, so it really doesn't matter who goes first. Kinda like Michael Johns...yeah, he probably went too early, but who cares about number 4 or number 10? Next year, we probably won't remember half of the top 12, and certainly not which ones went out at what point.

Last edited by Ksyrup : 04-23-2008 at 10:12 PM.
Old 04-23-2008, 10:15 PM   #1247
rjolley
College Starter

We'll have to disagree about that. Syesha does have some out of tune moments, but overall, her performances have been good. Also, she hasn't tried to hit the notes she can't do as much in the past few weeks. Carly has been shrieky, but she has a big voice and tries to cover her shaky points by shouting over them. Early on, she was clearly the best woman on the show. As they've moved along, Syesha and Carly have evened out. Brooke, while good in her folksy element, just isn't as good as those 2.
Old 04-23-2008, 10:17 PM   #1248
rjolley
College Starter

Ksyrup: Yep, I agree with that. This one is between the Davids. It'd be nice to see the better singers stay around longer, but the show really does seem to be between the teens' favorite and the rocker.
Old 04-23-2008, 10:26 PM   #1249
Eaglesfan27
Hall Of Famer

Anyone else notice that Syesha mouthed, "crap" when she was told she was in the bottom 2. I thought that was a sort of humorous spur of the moment reaction. I think Carly was done in by the portion of fans that were against her from the start because of the issues that Ksyrup posted about weeks (or more?) ago. I still think Castro deserved to go, but I don't think it matters as it appears fairly evident that the final will be David vs David.
Old 04-23-2008, 10:43 PM   #1250
Ksyrup

Poor David Cook. Not only will this year's This is My Now be a horrendous song, it will be a terrible song for him, AND it will fit his main competition like a glove. I think he needs to throw the competition and get knocked out early. Or maybe he can just concede, because the idea of him having to sing this year's Do I Make You Proud? could freaking kill him - even worse if people decide to vote for him based on the entire season, where he has to record that song and release it as the first single because he was the winner.

He's actually in a pretty bad place right now. I wonder if his likely place in the finals is going to have the producers looking for a song that's not the usual schlocky piece of crap rewrite of I Believe I Can Fly that they trot out every finale.