Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Archives > FOFC Archive
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 05-31-2007, 05:49 AM   #1201
law90026
College Benchwarmer

Rumour has it Nani stays in Portugal for one more season. Even if he comes in, unless he's absolutely brilliant, I think it's still Giggs and Ronaldo on the wings as the starters, at least for the first half of the season.

Same thing for Anderson, I don't think he's going to be thrown into the starting line-up so soon.
law90026 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2007, 12:27 PM   #1202
Dunleavy
High School JV

i'd be real surprised if they let Nani stay a year b4 joining but i could see all three new signings not starting on opening day, but i suspect all three will log plently of minutes at ManU

the most curious signing had to be Anderson. i always thought he was more of a Spanish player then English, more of a 4-3-3 player then 4-4-2 so i wonder how they'll use him. the central midfield and wing is taking care of which is fine b/c he's better in a more advanced role, but can he play an out and out striker or more imperative can he partner with Rooney succesfully. the talk is ManU still need to find a striker but i dont buy, i think they bought Anderson as a striker

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/business/6705251.stm

thats a good article on wages and revenue for football
Dunleavy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2007, 06:49 PM   #1203
Mac Howard
Sick as a Parrot

At 19 and 20 Ferguson is not going to expect either Anderson or Nani to play 50 plus matches a season particularly as each will need to make the step up to a much more physical environment. Both Giggs and Scholes will give way in the next couple of seasons creating the space for these guys but will still play the majority of matches this coming season. Alex will have the luxury of introducing these kids into the team gradually as their development dictates while giving him the chance to rest the older players.

I've never been impressed with the idea that you have to destroy one team in order to build another. It seems to me that if you can get the timing right you can bring in the new players as the older ones fade. Rooney and Ronaldo are now established and now Nani and Anderson can grow into the team as Giggs and Scholes move out. With Carrick, Hargreaves, Vidic, Evra and even Ferdinand all with many years ahead of them (average age of those five and the four youngsters is 23) I think Alex has the setup for a good few years ahead.

Last edited by Mac Howard : 05-31-2007 at 07:04 PM.
Mac Howard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2007, 09:54 PM   #1204
cthomer5000
Strategy Moderator

I wouldn't even expect those guys to see the field that much until the second half of the season. No need for Man U to really rush anything.
cthomer5000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2007, 07:27 AM   #1205
Critch
lolzcat

Looks like Claudio Pizarro is going to sign for Chelsea today on a free transfer from Bayern. Not a bad striker, a good backup for Chelsea, he's had clubs all over europe offering him big salaries since he's a free agent, despite the fact he scored 8 goals in 33 league games for Bayern last year and spent half the year on the bench.

Feels like the transfer market has kicked into high gear early this off-season.

Rumors of Boulahrouz going in the opposite direction too, Bayern offering 4mil pounds for him, less than half what Chelsea paid a year ago.

Last edited by Critch : 06-01-2007 at 07:30 AM.
Critch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2007, 09:44 AM   #1206
waynegomez
n00b

I’m a Birmingham City supporter and I’m hoping you don’t mind me getting in this soccer discussion. Blues signed Stuart Parnaby from Middlesbroughlace on a free transfer. He can play either center half or right back. I have mixed feelings on this transfer. On the one hand, we get a player with both Premiership and Europe experience that was being chased by West Ham, Everton and V*lla. Also, can’t argue with the price. The cynic in me thinks why should I get excited for a player who could not break into the Middlesbrough side on a regular basis?

This appears to be a decent signing but we are going to have to do a lot more to avoid being sent back down.

waynegomez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2007, 09:55 AM   #1207
ISiddiqui
Hall Of Famer

http://soccernet.espn.go.com/news/st...435500&cc=5901

Quote:
Ashley surprised Newcastle officials by attending St James' Park in person yesterday to discuss the finer points of his bid to increase the 41.6% shareholding he purchased from Sir John Hall last week.

Ashley is believed to have been negotiating to increase his shareholding to 54%, effectively giving him control of the club, although Financial Dynamics, the public relations company handling Ashley's interest, refused to comment.

For the Love of God, please make this happen! Please, Please, Please!!
Old 06-01-2007, 10:24 AM   #1208
Critch
lolzcat

Looks like Scott Parker is on his way to West Ham from Newcastle United. Fee has been agreed, just the medical and personal terms to go.

I'm kind of surprised by that, I thought Parker was one of the few Newcastle players that would fit into Allardyce's style of play, and one of the few who's actually consistently good enough.
Old 06-01-2007, 10:41 AM   #1209
Katon
College Benchwarmer

A bit surprising, but then I've heard Parker's very much a Londoner. Could well be he just really wanted to move back to the capital.
Katon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2007, 10:43 AM   #1210
ISiddiqui
Hall Of Famer

And 7 million pounds (which has been reported) is a pretty nice haul
Old 06-01-2007, 02:00 PM   #1211
Critch
lolzcat

Quote:
Originally Posted by ISiddiqui View Post
And 7 million pounds (which has been reported) is a pretty nice haul

Certainly is. 7 million pounds will get you 5 Mascheranos, or 3 Benni McCarthys, or a Luca Toni, or 3/4 of Peter Crouch, or less than half of a Carrick or a Hargreaves.

I've given up trying to understand transfer fees.
Old 06-01-2007, 02:58 PM   #1212
Fighter of Foo
College Prospect

Quote:
Originally Posted by Critch View Post
Looks like Scott Parker is on his way to West Ham from Newcastle United. Fee has been agreed, just the medical and personal terms to go.

I'm kind of surprised by that, I thought Parker was one of the few Newcastle players that would fit into Allardyce's style of play, and one of the few who's actually consistently good enough.

With Parker's probable move, the Owen rumors and some guy with a girl's name buying 40% of the club, I wonder just how piss poor Newcastle really is right now and just how poorly Fat Freddie has managed the budget.
Fighter of Foo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2007, 05:18 PM   #1213
ISiddiqui
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Certainly is. 7 million pounds will get you 5 Mascheranos, or 3 Benni McCarthys, or a Luca Toni, or 3/4 of Peter Crouch, or less than half of a Carrick or a Hargreaves.

I've given up trying to understand transfer fees.

Well, the thought process goes, that Big Sam will try to turn 5.5 mil of that into Joey Barton. Then get Ben Haim and Viduka on free transfers.

Of course if Ashley buys out the club, then Big Sam has a ton of cash to play with (Ashley is saying he is willing to release about 45 million pounds for this transfer period)
Old 06-01-2007, 05:28 PM   #1214
ISiddiqui
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fighter of Foo View Post
With Parker's probable move, the Owen rumors and some guy with a girl's name buying 40% of the club, I wonder just how piss poor Newcastle really is right now and just how poorly Fat Freddie has managed the budget.

Uh.. the guy with the "girl's name" (Mike Ashley, btw), has pledged 300 million pounds over 5 years for transfers if he can take over the controlling stake in the club.

So I don't think Parker is necessarily a lack of money move (they would have waited to see if Ashley wins the fight with Shepard if they were desperate to keep him). I just think that Allardyce thinks he can get better value for that money.
Old 06-01-2007, 08:35 PM   #1215
Dunleavy
High School JV

Quote:
Originally Posted by cthomer5000 View Post
I wouldn't even expect those guys to see the field that much until the second half of the season. No need for Man U to really rush anything.

i'm not sure about that. your talking about guys that having been playing full time in Portugal, United has paid a ton of money for'em, and United dont have a lot of depth. like i said there's a good chance all 3 signings won't start opening day but Nani has to be the 3rd winger at the monent and Anderson, ausmming they are going to turn him into a striker, will give Smith and Saha a run for their money in no time

Quote:
Rumors of Boulahrouz going in the opposite direction too, Bayern offering 4mil pounds for him, less than half what Chelsea paid a year ago.

and they're still over paying for him
Dunleavy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2007, 02:10 AM   #1216
daedalus
Pro Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by waynegomez View Post
I’m a Birmingham City supporter and I’m hoping you don’t mind me getting in this soccer discussion. Blues signed Stuart Parnaby from Middlesbroughlace on a free transfer. He can play either center half or right back. I have mixed feelings on this transfer. On the one hand, we get a player with both Premiership and Europe experience that was being chased by West Ham, Everton and V*lla. Also, can’t argue with the price. The cynic in me thinks why should I get excited for a player who could not break into the Middlesbrough side on a regular basis?

This appears to be a decent signing but we are going to have to do a lot more to avoid being sent back down.

Best Bet: Make nice with Le Professor and loan some more kids.

That was a nice catch for them to land Muamba.
daedalus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2007, 08:26 AM   #1217
Critch
lolzcat

Quote:
Originally Posted by flere-imsaho View Post
Leeds United have gone into liquidation and thus incurred an automatic 10-point penalty, which confirms their relegation from the Championship to League One. A pretty far drop from competing for European trophies just a few years prior.

Dredging this up from a couple of pages ago because I read something yesterday that shows how Leeds got into the financial problems they did.

When they signed Seth Johnson (who was released by Derby yesterday) back in 2001, Johnson and his agent turned up to discuss personal terms with Leeds, before they arrived they agreed between themselves that they would try to negotiate for 20k per week. When they walked into the meeting the Leeds representative offered them 35k as a first offer. Johnson and his agent were stunned at the big offer and looked at each other without saying anything, so the rep said "ok, 45k a week, but we won't go any higher".

So Johnson signed for more than twice the salary he was looking for.
Old 06-02-2007, 03:15 PM   #1218
3ric
College Starter

Craziness in the Denmark-Sweden international qualifying game (European championship 2008) - Sweden takes the lead 0-3, Denmark equalizes 3-3, Sevilla's Poulsen punches an opponent in the 89th minute and is sent off, and a penalty kick is awarded. A Danish supporter runs onto the pitch and throws a punch at the referee, who leaves the pitch and awards the game to Sweden as a 0-3 win - just an insane finish.
Old 06-02-2007, 03:53 PM   #1219
MJ4H
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3ric View Post
awards the game to Sweden as a 0-3 win

what?
MJ4H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2007, 03:56 PM   #1220
Northwood_DK
College Benchwarmer

Great week for Denmark. First our Tour de France winner confesses that he was doped on EPO and now this.
Northwood_DK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2007, 04:17 PM   #1221
flere-imsaho
Coordinator

LOL! Assuming the match was in Denmark, I think the ref was probably using an actual rule that allows this. Still kinda weak, in my opinion, but there you go.
flere-imsaho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2007, 04:30 PM   #1222
3ric
College Starter

" The result will not be confirmed until an investigation by UEFA's disciplinary committee following receipt of the referee and delegate reports, UEFA said on their Web site.
Local media announced somewhat prematurely that Sweden had been awarded the match 3-0, but the outcome cannot be decided until the disciplinary committee have ruled on the matter."

http://uk.reuters.com/article/worldF...2?feedType=RSS
Old 06-02-2007, 06:29 PM   #1223
TredWel
High School Varsity

Referees can only suspend matches, not forfeit them or declare a result one way or the other. After the ref suspends play due to unsafe conditions, it's up to UEFA to determine what the final result should be.
Old 06-03-2007, 06:04 AM   #1224
MIJB#19
Coordinator

Sure, UEFA will still have to investigate, but I think it's safe to say Sweden will be rewarded that 3-0 win and Denmark will have to play their next home game in Greece or Portugal. Heck, in this Platini era, I wouldn't even be shocked if Denmark gets booted out of the Euro qualifying tournament. His administration did set a competition booting precedent with the UEFA Cup booting of Feyenoord after the French police thought it was a good idea to let life-time-banned supporters without tickets into a football stadium.
MIJB#19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2007, 11:12 AM   #1225
Critch
lolzcat

Quote:
Well, the thought process goes, that Big Sam will try to turn 5.5 mil of that into Joey Barton. saying he is willing to release about 45 million pounds for this transfer period)

Sky says the Barton to Newcastle deal is done and will be confirmed when the Parker to West Ham deal is complete.

Probably an improvement for Newcastle, as long as they can stop Barton being an asshole on and off the pitch.
Old 06-03-2007, 11:45 AM   #1226
Marc Vaughan
SI Games

Quote:
Sky says the Barton to Newcastle deal is done and will be confirmed when the Parker to West Ham deal is complete.

Probably an improvement for Newcastle, as long as they can stop Barton being an asshole on and off the pitch.

I think its a very good deal and I think he will now have the right manager to keep him on the straight and narrow .... he's a fantastic player imho and if straightened out a little will really blossom as he matures.
Marc Vaughan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2007, 09:00 AM   #1227
Critch
lolzcat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Fo View Post
I've never seen Anderson play and have only seen Nani a few times. I've seen some good Youtube vids on other forums but yeah, Youtube can make anyone look pretty good. Any of you guys ever seen these guys play?

I saw Nani play this weekend in the Belgium v Portugal game, looked good if fairly quiet. So far I'd heard comparisons with Cristiano Ronaldo, but didn't look much like him, less driving runs but more quick passing and awareness of his teammates. Put through a few good passes and also scored a nice goal, although he's helped by the fact the defender that was supposed to close him down suddenly loses interest when he realizes he's got blood flowing from his nose and mouth.

Other than that, Deco was the pick of the Portuguese along with Quaresma, and they still play like thugs and dive a lot.
Old 06-04-2007, 09:02 AM   #1228
Critch
lolzcat

Quote:
Originally Posted by TredWel View Post
Referees can only suspend matches, not forfeit them or declare a result one way or the other. After the ref suspends play due to unsafe conditions, it's up to UEFA to determine what the final result should be.

I've just seen the incident that caused the abandonment of the Denmark v Sweden game, ridiculous that the ref called the game for that with only a couple of minutes to go. Herbert Fandel has always been happier when he's the star, but no way he should have ended the game
Old 06-04-2007, 01:35 PM   #1229
AlexB
Pro Starter

Titus Shambles is no longer at the soft centre of the Newcastle defence. Wigan apparently didn;t like their last day drama, and are trying to make sure they are relegated well before then next year! Especially given that they're supposedly after Sibierski as well.

Now does Dave Whelan remember why Chris Hutchings was sacked from bradford?
AlexB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2007, 03:45 PM   #1230
Mr. Wednesday
Pro Starter

Quote:
I've just seen the incident that caused the abandonment of the Denmark v Sweden game, ridiculous that the ref called the game for that with only a couple of minutes to go. Herbert Fandel has always been happier when he's the star, but no way he should have ended the game
Considering the totality of the situation (including that security was nowhere to be seen), as well as the possibility that there is a UEFA guideline to abandon when the ref has been attacked, and also keeping in mind that there were two additional invaders (but it's uncertain whether that's before or after the match was abandoned), I think his actions were perfectly justifiable.

Thanks to my FOFC Hattrick supporters - Blackout, Brillig, kingfc22, RPI-fan, Rich1033, antbacker, One_to7, ur_land, KevinNU7, and TonyR (PM me if you support me and I've missed you)
Mr. Wednesday is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2007, 04:12 PM   #1231
Coder
College Prospect

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Wednesday View Post
Considering the totality of the situation (including that security was nowhere to be seen), as well as the possibility that there is a UEFA guideline to abandon when the ref has been attacked, and also keeping in mind that there were two additional invaders (but it's uncertain whether that's before or after the match was abandoned), I think his actions were perfectly justifiable.

There was at least one supporter on the field while the referee was talking to the captains in the dressingroom. I don't think he knew about that one though.

Either way, as a Swede, I can't feel completely happy about this. I would have preferred if Ljungberg could have taken the penalty shot and finished the game that way. I respect the decision the ref made, especially after the additional invasions, but it's a shame that spectators are basically allowed to change the outcome of a game.

~ I am an idiot, walking a tight rope of fortunate things ~
Coder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2007, 05:45 AM   #1232
daedalus
Pro Rookie

On the topic of Quaresma, there are some Arse fans who seem to think that he'd make a great addition to the squad. I remember seeing him a few years back and being impressed -- obviously he has improved since, though I have not seen him for a few years.

Based on my admittedly limited memory of his play and various descriptions of him, though, I cannot see Quaresma working out in the Premiership and definitely not for a squad like Arsenal. I cannot argue for or against the case of him versus Hleb but, one of the problem with Hleb is his tendency to hold onto the ball too long which is a BadThing[tm] in the Premiership, in my opinion. My understanding is that Quaresma has the same tendency. I'm not sure how that helps us. In the few highlights I saw, Quaresma seems to cut inside as well which has been a bit of a problem with us.

The one big thing, of course, is Quaresma's willingness to strike the ball toward the general direction of the goalkeeper. Granted, I think Hleb is still young (in spite of looking far too much like William Defoe) and he has pledged to improve that little tendency to try to walk the ball into goal.
daedalus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2007, 07:00 AM   #1233
Critch
lolzcat

I don't think Quaresma is likely to end up in the EPL, he was a target for Bayern Munich and turned them down as Germany was too cold for a Portuguese player. Sounds like he's angling for a move to Spain, Espanyol were rumored.

Looks like Ribery will be signing with Bayern in the next couple of days, there's a player I thought would end up at Arsenal.

Edit to save a dola - BBC says that Barton to Newcastle isn't a done deal after all, West Ham have met Man City's valuation too. I've got my fingers crossed that he goes to West Ham, Barton + Bowyer in the same team has great comedy potential.

Last edited by Critch : 06-06-2007 at 09:23 AM.
Old 06-06-2007, 09:17 AM   #1234
Coffee Warlord
Head Coach

Looks like Barton to Newcastle is a done deal now.

If they manage to get a deal done with Viduka as well, I'm a happy camper. Assuming they hold onto Obafemi Martins and Owen, I like their forwards. Viduka should theoretically pair well with Owen, and Obafemi's not a horrible option to give Viduka a breather here and there.

Now we need a defender or three (didn't I say that last year, too?).

Last edited by Coffee Warlord : 06-06-2007 at 09:22 AM.
Coffee Warlord is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2007, 09:32 AM   #1235
Critch
lolzcat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coffee Warlord View Post
Now we need a defender or three (didn't I say that last year, too?).

Looks like Newcastle are going to do something about the defense this year too, for a change. Tal Ben Haim is rumored to be following Allardyce from Bolton, and PSG say Newcastle have made an offer for David Rozehnal too. The pair of them in central defence would be an improvement.
Old 06-06-2007, 09:37 AM   #1236
Coffee Warlord
Head Coach

Quote:
Looks like Newcastle are going to do something about the defense this year too, for a change. Tal Ben Haim is rumored to be following Allardyce from Bolton, and PSG say Newcastle have made an offer for David Rozehnal too. The pair of them in central defence would be an improvement.

Hell, a pair of scarecrows would be an improvement in their central defense.

I'm moderately intrigued to see what happens if Dyer does wind up playing well for England at right back. I'm not sold on him in defense, but who knows.
Old 06-06-2007, 09:55 AM   #1237
Critch
lolzcat

Quote:
Hell, a pair of scarecrows would be an improvement in their central defense.

Too true, but Titus Shambles still found himself an EPL team willing to pay him 40k pounds a week. Every week he's steady for 80 minutes, but those 10 minutes where he gets lost out of position, scores an own goal and/or concedes a penalty really mess him up

Rumors that Thierry Henry is having a medical with his new club this morning..... British bookmakers have slashed the odds on his new club being.....Liverpool?! Can't be true, can it? Apparently they were fairly long odds, but have shot in this morning. I'll believe it when it happens, but the rumor is springing up on UK fan sites.

Last edited by Critch : 06-06-2007 at 09:55 AM.
Old 06-06-2007, 07:37 PM   #1238
Critch
lolzcat

Quote:
http://soccernet.espn.go.com/news/st...435500&cc=5901

For the Love of God, please make this happen! Please, Please, Please!!

Looks like almost completely good news for Newcastle United fans. Shepherd has reportedly agreed to sell his shares to Ashley, but will stay on as a salaried chairman.

http://www.timesonline.co.uk/tol/spo...cle1896181.ece
Old 06-06-2007, 11:51 PM   #1239
ISiddiqui
Hall Of Famer

Not bad at all. Sure Shepard will be a salaried chairman, but Ashley will have his guys around him and will be able to overrule Shepard.

As for central defense, that wasn't the main problem, really. Taylor is a good up and comer and all, but the real issue has been LB and even Carr has become more and more of a liability at RB.

That's not saying that Rozehnal (rumored to have signed for a fee of 5 mil euros) and Ben Haim wouldn't be welcome additions. Just have to realize the LB and RB positions are calling more urgently.

Last edited by ISiddiqui : 06-06-2007 at 11:58 PM.
ISiddiqui is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2007, 12:56 AM   #1240
SirFozzie
Hall Of Famer

By the way, the Gold Cup started tonight, Haiti and Guadeloupe played to a 1-1 draw, but in what should be considered an upset, Canada beat Costa Rica 2-1.
Old 06-07-2007, 06:56 AM   #1241
Critch
lolzcat

Quote:
As for central defense, that wasn't the main problem, really. Taylor is a good up and comer and all, but the real issue has been LB and even Carr has become more and more of a liability at RB.

Yeah, Taylor is a good prospect but he's still young and prone to mistakes. He needs to be paired up with a steady, experienced central defender, not Brambles or Moore. Him and Ben Haim with Rozehnal in front of them would be a lot more solid base than Newcastle have seen for a long time.
Old 06-07-2007, 11:01 AM   #1242
Coffee Warlord
Head Coach

Newcastle officially signs Viduka. Nice.
Old 06-07-2007, 01:54 PM   #1243
Critch
lolzcat

Strange goal from yesterday's European qualifiers. A lesson to not stop playing til the ref blows the whistle:

http://www.dailymotion.com/footygoal...26wte_sweice50
Old 06-08-2007, 11:35 PM   #1244
cthomer5000
Strategy Moderator

Went to the Gold Cup doubleheader tonight at Giants stadium. Panama-Honduras and Mexico-Cuba. Panama-Honduras was a surprisingly entertaining first game, Mexico's game ended up being a bit of a letdown by comparisoin. Announced attendance of 20Kish, but there were never that many people there at once because some people came for only 1 of the 2 games and didnt stay for the other. Good stuff overall though.

Last edited by cthomer5000 : 06-09-2007 at 09:09 AM.
cthomer5000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2007, 09:03 AM   #1245
Oilers9911
College Benchwarmer

Quote:
Originally Posted by SirFozzie View Post
By the way, the Gold Cup started tonight, Haiti and Guadeloupe played to a 1-1 draw, but in what should be considered an upset, Canada beat Costa Rica 2-1.

Yeah, that was a great soccer night on TV up here. Toronto FC played Red Bull New York (lost 2-1) then Canada v Costa Rica was on immediately after and dare I say it, it looked like we had an actual soccer team out on the field. We play Guadaloupe tonight and can book a spot in the quarter-finals with a win. The DeRosario-DeGuzman combo looked dangerous all night against Costa Rica with De Guzman scoring both goals.
Oilers9911 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2007, 02:53 PM   #1246
Chief Rum
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Newcastle officially signs Viduka. Nice.

Not really going to miss him. But of course he goes to Newcastle. They're signing our crap now.
Chief Rum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2007, 02:59 PM   #1247
Big Fo
Pro Rookie

Real Madrid, Barcelona, and Sevilla are all playing simultaneously today, each game at halftime. Messi just scored an outrageous handball goal to bring their game vs. Espanyol to 1-1, Barca would now be top of the league if results stood since Real is losing to Zaragoza. RvN should've just scored right before halftime but the keeper made a nice save on his header. Exciting stuff so far.

USA - T&T starts in one hour as well. Good soccer viewing day.
Big Fo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2007, 03:00 PM   #1248
DaddyTorgo
Hall Of Famer

and gold cup wise you have guatemala vs. el salvador at halftime right now, and then a algeria vs. Argentina friendly (slaughter) kicking off in a minute before the US vs. TnT game later

Last edited by DaddyTorgo : 06-09-2007 at 03:01 PM.
DaddyTorgo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2007, 10:33 PM   #1249
ISiddiqui
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chief Rum View Post
Not really going to miss him. But of course he goes to Newcastle. They're signing our crap now.

http://soccernet.espn.go.com/news/st...437171&cc=5901

Quote:
Middlesbrough boss Gareth Southgate had been desperate to keep him at the Riverside Stadium after he finished the last campaign as leading scorer on 19 goals.

However, the Teessiders decided not to tie up the Melbourne-born frontman last summer and were forced to play a waiting game as he exercised his right to speak to other clubs during the final six months of his deal.

Southgate was adamant he would not put any pressure on his star striker as Viduka considered his options but, despite personal pleas from the manager, chairman Steve Gibson, chief executive Keith Lamb and team-mate Jonathan Woodgate, the 31-year-old decided his future lay elsewhere.

Keep rationalizing though. We'll make good use of your last year's leading scorer .
Old 06-10-2007, 02:30 AM   #1250
Chief Rum
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
http://soccernet.espn.go.com/news/st...437171&cc=5901

Keep rationalizing though. We'll make good use of your last year's leading scorer .

He always seems to score against the crap teams, but when we really need him, where is he? And that doesn't mention constant fitness concerns as well. I'll take Yakubu as our main guy.

And if the Toon put him to good use, it will be the first player they have used well in some time. My guess is he'll sit on the bench for you guys while you struggle to score.

We'll put his wages to good use elsewhere.
Chief Rum is offline   Reply With Quote