Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Archives > FOFC Archive
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 06-07-2006, 08:29 PM   #1201
Dr. Sak
Grizzled Veteran

Cam Ward is having another stellar game!
Dr. Sak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2006, 08:40 PM   #1202
Dr. Sak
Grizzled Veteran

That is a back breaking goal right there...
Old 06-07-2006, 09:18 PM   #1203
gstelmack
Pro Starter

Early in the game I thought Edmonton was doing a good defensive job protecting their goalie. It wasn't enough, but they were playing hard and doing their best.

Now, I'm fast losing all respect I had for them and sympathy over the Rollosson injury. If they hurt a Cane (and they've come close), sympathy may turn to hatred. Come on guys, this is the 00's, not the 80's.
Old 06-07-2006, 09:44 PM   #1204
gstelmack
Pro Starter

Glad to see Ward get his second shutout of the playoffs. Now that we're inside Edmonton's head, let's go up and finish this thing off...
Old 06-07-2006, 10:06 PM   #1205
Wolfpack
Pro Rookie

Eh, it's a 5-0 game. I expected it to get a little chippy. The only seriously bad hit was the one by LaRoque (sp?). The others were not nearly as bad as that one.

IMO, though, getting testy like that when the game is well-decided is counterproductive. Instead of just draining all emotion from the game and moving on to the next one, it kept Carolina going after it and will likely ensure they have better intensity coming into game three. I think back to when Carolina got trashed by NJ in game four. Carolina got a little chippy, but generally kept the emotions in check, didn't surrender any kind of goal to give New Jersey momentum in the third period, and then went back to Raleigh and took the series-clincher, largely because I think they didn't give New Jersey any carryover energy from game four.
Wolfpack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2006, 08:14 PM   #1206
gstelmack
Pro Starter

Where'd all the Canadians go in this thread?
Old 06-08-2006, 08:43 PM   #1207
Travis
Pro Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by gstelmack

Meh, not much to say about that game. They played about as poorly in front of Markkanen as possible, and a few bounces helped Carolina put the game away.

Time to see what they do back and home and see if they can respond the way they did in the San Jose series. Right now Carolina has to be happy that Edmonton didn't get the split with how game 1 went, and even happier that Edmonton came out awfully flat in game two.
Travis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2006, 10:08 PM   #1208
Karim
College Starter

Quote:

Waiting for the draft...
Karim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2006, 10:37 PM   #1209
bbor
Pro Starter

Quote:

The habs have been golfing since the 1st round.

Now that I've cracked and made that admission, I wonder if I'm only a couple of steps away from wanting to tongue-kiss Jaromir Jagr and give Bobby Clarke a blowjob.
bbor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2006, 11:00 PM   #1210
Maple Leafs
Coordinator

Quote:
Why would I be paying any attention to an NHL playoff thread?
Old 06-09-2006, 11:52 AM   #1211
Karim
College Starter

Apparently, the Russians and the NHL have finally come to a transfer agreement...
http://rushockey.com/events.php?i=sl...sl_news&id=498
Old 06-11-2006, 09:03 AM   #1212
Wolfpack
Pro Rookie

Quote:

Updating it, they're probably all hung over and haven't woken up yet, particularly our Alberta contingent.

Well played by Edmonton. They did deserve to win given we couldn't do squat in the offensive end for much of the game. Both teams' PKers did outstanding work given all the man advantages that went on.

Brindy's postgame behavior was, needless to say, foolish and unfortunate. He can whine all he wants about possible interference, but even if it was, I look at it as a balance-out for McGoo's blowing dead the second period goal when it was still loose between Ward's legs. I wouldn't have been able to enjoy a one-goal win if we got an opponent's goal taken off the board like that. Edmonton played better and got the deserving result because of it.

My pessimism has come raging back in full force after last night's game, to the point I begin to think Edmonton will sweep four in a row to win the Cup. Carolina only really dominated game two and the third periods of game one and game three. I fully expect the series to go back to Raleigh 2-2 at this point. Game five will pretty much decides who will win the Cup.
Old 06-11-2006, 09:11 AM   #1213
Honolulu_Blue
Hockey Boy

That was exactly how the Oilers needed to play. The game unfolded perfectly for them. Get the early goal, stay out of the box, forecheck well, and play a tight, solid defensive scheme. Other than the WIlliams break away, I can't recall any other oddman rushes the Oilers gave up. They out-worked the Canes which kept the Oilers out of the box for the most part and put the Hurricanes in it. Markanen wasn't called on to be spectacular, but he made the saves when needed. The save on the Williams' breakaway is exactly what you need from your goalie: the timely save. Giving up that goal would have been a killer.

Ryan Smyth's goal was classic Smyth. Exactly the type of goals you need out him.

Should be interesting to see what happens in Game 4.
Steve Yzerman: 1,755 points in 1,514 regular season games. 185 points in 196 postseason games. A First-Team All-Star, Conn Smythe Trophy winner, Selke Trophy winner, Masterton Trophy winner, member of the Hockey Hall of Fame, Olympic gold medallist, and a three-time Stanley Cup Champion. Longest serving captain of one team in the history of the NHL (19 seasons).
Honolulu_Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2006, 09:17 AM   #1214
gstelmack
Pro Starter

Agreed, Carolina caught a break on the goal wave-off, and Markkannen played a fantastic game last night. Carolina had a fair number of chances that Edmonton stopped cold. I'm not all that pessimistic about Carolina's chances; I felt like last night Edmonton played very well as opposed to Carolina playing particularly poorly.
Old 06-11-2006, 11:22 AM   #1215
Maple Leafs
Coordinator

I know we have six months to go, but the competition for Best Sports Moment of the Year is officially closed. Seeing Joey Moss belting out the Canadian anthem from the Oilers bench was just awesome.
Old 06-11-2006, 11:34 AM   #1216
Draft Dodger
Coordinator

can we get Pierre McGuire a front office job somewhere so that I don't have to watch him on TV? thanks.
Old 06-13-2006, 04:11 AM   #1217
Karim
College Starter

IT. IS. OVER!
Old 06-13-2006, 05:45 AM   #1218
Dr. Sak
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Draft Dodger
can we get Pierre McGuire a front office job somewhere so that I don't have to watch him on TV? thanks.

He supposedly turned down the assistant GM job for the Penguins.
Old 06-13-2006, 05:57 AM   #1219
miami_fan
Coordinator

I am not a big hockey fan, but the way the national anthems were conducted last night was absolutely AWESOME! Not the singer per se, but the way the crowd respond with wild cheers after the US anthem and the rousing crowd rendition of the Canadian anthem.
miami_fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2006, 07:39 AM   #1220
sachmo71
The boy who cried Trout

Quote:
Originally Posted by Karim
IT. IS. OVER!

GO. TO. BED!
sachmo71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2006, 08:00 AM   #1221
Draft Dodger
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by bsak16

DAMN HIM
Old 06-13-2006, 08:11 AM   #1222
Maple Leafs
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by bsak16
He's been openly campaigning for Montreal or Ottawa jobs. He comes on the radio here and just kisses the team's behind, so the fans love him (good thing they don't hear what he says when he's on in other markets).

Last edited by Maple Leafs : 06-13-2006 at 08:11 AM.
Maple Leafs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2006, 08:33 AM   #1223
gstelmack
Pro Starter

Another nice game by Markannen, even in the loss. Glad to know that if Carolina wins this series, no one will be able to (legitimately) place an asterisk next to the win.

Just a hardfought game all around. I think Carolina is the better team, but Edmonton isn't going down easy.
Old 06-14-2006, 07:48 PM   #1224
Dr. Sak
Grizzled Veteran

From Hockeybuzz.com

Quote:
Jack Johnson On The Move? 06/14/2006 @ 02:47 PM

It appears that the Carolina Hurricanes will be dealing Jack Johnson to the Pittsburgh Penguins for their first round pick, second overall in the draft on June 24th. The Canes intend to select Jordan Staal brother of Eric. Johnson has lost favour with Carolina since he refused to join the team for the playoff run. This refusal bothered Canes management and even brought a comment from Canes GM Jim Rutherford to the affect of, "If Johnson were Canadian, he would have said yes". Johnson is an American. We`ll see what the next week and half brings, but if I were Johnson, don`t make room for a Stanley Cup ring. Jordan Staal will turn 18 in September and is a member of the OHL`s Peterborough Petes who made it to the Memorial Cup this spring.
Old 06-14-2006, 07:53 PM   #1225
DeToxRox
Head Coach

If that Johnson deal is indeed true, good for Pittsburgh. Double J is imho better then Erik Johnson, though its' very close. But the big thing is the fact Crosby and Jack are best friends, and that can be very beneficial in his development.
DeToxRox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2006, 08:00 PM   #1226
ice4277
Pro Rookie

Why would you refuse to be called up for a playoff run?
ice4277 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2006, 08:14 PM   #1227
NoSkillz
College Benchwarmer

Quote:
Originally Posted by ice4277
Why would you refuse to be called up for a playoff run?

If he played a playoff game, his would lose his college eligibility, something he's not interested in at this time.
NoSkillz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2006, 08:17 PM   #1228
DeToxRox
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by NoSkillz
If he played a playoff game, his would lose his college eligibility, something he's not interested in at this time.

I can attest Jack Johnson has NO DESIRE to leave Michigan.

I work with Matt Hunwicks (Jacks D Partner, Michigan captain next year) dad and he's said Jack has no desire to leave college, apparently he's having an absolute blast. That said a lot can change, but as of right now there seems to be nothing from Johnson that states he wants to leave.
DeToxRox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2006, 09:35 PM   #1229
kingfc22
Head Coach

What a save by Markkanen (sp?)

EDIT: Awww, nevermind. It hit the post.

Last edited by kingfc22 : 06-14-2006 at 09:38 PM.
kingfc22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2006, 10:05 PM   #1230
bbor
Pro Starter

Jordan Staal with the 2nd overall pick is a little too early for him IMHO.I think there are a few other players i would take before him.

Now that I've cracked and made that admission, I wonder if I'm only a couple of steps away from wanting to tongue-kiss Jaromir Jagr and give Bobby Clarke a blowjob.
Old 06-14-2006, 10:05 PM   #1231
bbor
Pro Starter

Dola....great OT....but the Oilers are on there last legs.Pronger is gassed big time.

Old 06-14-2006, 10:07 PM   #1232
sterlingice
Hall Of Famer

Post!

SI

Janos: "Only America could produce an imbecile of your caliber!"
Freakazoid: "That's because we make lots of things better than other people!"

sterlingice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2006, 10:07 PM   #1233
sterlingice
Hall Of Famer

No post!!!

SI

Old 06-14-2006, 10:07 PM   #1234
heybrad
Norm!!!

Wow
heybrad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2006, 10:07 PM   #1235
kingfc22
Head Coach

Wow. Turnover on the power play. Just wow.
Old 06-14-2006, 10:15 PM   #1236
sterlingice
Hall Of Famer

And hockey season lasts another game

SI

Last edited by sterlingice : 06-14-2006 at 10:15 PM.
Old 06-14-2006, 10:21 PM   #1237
Wolfpack
Pro Rookie

I am utterly sick to my stomach right now. They f'ing deserved to lose the way they played tonight. The only thing that worked was the PP and then it turns around and bites us because our players were so f'ing lazy with their passes. They almost coughed it up before that, but then to give up a breakaway shortie IN YOUR OWN END.... I'm so depressed. I'm cursed, too. I don't think I'll ever see a team of mine win a championship again. Jimmy V used up all the magic in 1983. This one is going 7 and I fear it'll be Edmonton hoisting the Cup on our ice after that game.
Old 06-14-2006, 10:37 PM   #1238
Wolfpack
Pro Rookie

Hmm...let's see....

F*! F*! F*!
AAAAAAAAAAAAAAARRRRRRRRRGGGHHHH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Nope. Still don't feel better.
Old 06-14-2006, 11:12 PM   #1239
Fidatelo
Pro Starter

Wow, that is the largest over-reaction to a loss I've ever seen.

Dude, your team still has 2 chances to put this thing away, and I haven't seen anything from Edmonton that makes me feel it isn't entirely possible, if not probable, that the 'Canes will win one of 'em.

Now back away from the window ledge and get a good night's sleep.
"Breakfast? Breakfast schmekfast, look at the score for God's sake. It's only the second period and I'm winning 12-2. Breakfasts come and go, Rene, but Hartford, the Whale, they only beat Vancouver maybe once or twice in a lifetime."
Fidatelo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2006, 06:59 AM   #1240
Draft Dodger
Coordinator

all I want to say is that I really, really like that Hemsky kid
Old 06-15-2006, 07:05 AM   #1241
Draft Dodger
Coordinator

nah, there's a couple of other things I want to say.

I'll take Harvey's energy over Laraques any day. And He had several decent chances to boot.

Who was the Oiler that Ward bumped into immediately after the game? That would have been something useful McGuire could have told us about, but I assume he was already on the ice trying to kiss MacTavish's butt, er, I mean interview him.

One great shot NBC showed in the game was a shot from the point from a Hurricane, and 3 Oilers went down to block it in unison. awesome.
Old 06-15-2006, 09:14 AM   #1242
Wolfpack
Pro Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fidatelo

Dude, your team still has 2 chances to put this thing away, and I haven't seen anything from Edmonton that makes me feel it isn't entirely possible, if not probable, that the 'Canes will win one of 'em.

Now back away from the window ledge and get a good night's sleep.

Yeah, I probably overreacted, but only a little (and the second post was more an attempt at humor more than anything). I'm pessimistic by nature, generally. It comes with the territory of being a Wolfpack fan over the past two decades. You come to expect things to fall apart just as it looks like you've got it made. I can't count the number of times teams I've rooted for have come undone when on the cusp of something big.

As for sleeping on it, well I have. And I feel...not a whole lot better. As you say, Carolina does still have two cracks to win it, but to lose in the fashion they did last night and then to have to confront going back to Edmonton to try to win it there doesn't give a lot of confidence. It likely means a game seven next week in Raleigh and if they screw around like they did last night it won't matter a whole hell of a lot that they do have home ice for game seven.

I think what's bothering me isn't the fact that they lost. It's how they lost. If I never saw the game and you said to me that Edmonton won 4-3 in OT, I'd have been unhappy, but only a little and only for a bit. I'd then start hoping that Carolina can find a way to put it away on the road, and failing that, there's always home ice in game seven. The way they lost last night I can find little solace in any of those points right now.

It's probably the hardest I've taken a loss since the Wolfpack squandered a big lead late against Vanderbilt in the NCAAs three years ago. I had a right good shout outside my front door after that one. I wanted to do it last night, too, but didn't want to wake the neighbors.
Old 06-15-2006, 12:49 PM   #1243
Pumpy Tudors
Bounty Hunter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fidatelo
There's a tree in Massachusetts that might disagree with you.
Old 06-15-2006, 01:02 PM   #1244
Honolulu_Blue
Hockey Boy

The Oilers played a great game. Markanen was solid once more. There was a stretch early in the 2nd period where Carolina had 3-4 great chances and could not captialize, some thanks to Markanen and some due to good defensive play. The Oilers have the momentum now. The crowd at home should give them one hell of a lift Saturday night so they should be able to come out flying once more. If they continue to play their game, there is no reason why they can't win this thing. Raffi Torres was a force out there. He doesn't look all that big, but the guy must be solid as a rock. He crushed Ward and Weight and Recchi kept bouncing off him like some little flea or something. Between those hits and the Menahluk (or however you spell that Shark winger's name) hit, Torres has made his presence felt.

Hemsky really shows flashes of brilliance out there. I can see where he would be incredibly frustrating. It's so obvious at times how talented he is and then he seems to just disappear for full stretches of a game or a game entirely. Fedorov was blamed of the same thing while in Detroit. He just seemed to disappear at times and looked disinterested, but when he was going there were few better.

You have to like the Oilers' chances now. You have Game 6 at home and then anything can happen in Game 7. It will be interesting to see how Cam Ward responds to all of this. He looked a bit off in the first period. It's possible the pressure is getting to him and it's only going to get worse.

These are both good teams. Carolina did dominate the play for long stretches. If both teams are playing their best... it's a toss-up.
Steve Yzerman: 1,755 points in 1,514 regular season games. 185 points in 196 postseason games. A First-Team All-Star, Conn Smythe Trophy winner, Selke Trophy winner, Masterton Trophy winner, member of the Hockey Hall of Fame, Olympic gold medallist, and a three-time Stanley Cup Champion. Longest serving captain of one team in the history of the NHL (19 seasons).
Old 06-15-2006, 01:02 PM   #1245
Honolulu_Blue
Hockey Boy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pumpy Tudors

Agreed.
Old 06-15-2006, 01:26 PM   #1246
Travis
Pro Rookie

Provided that Markkanen continues his level of play, the Oilers have a chance to force a game 7. If they can ever get it through their heads to quit taking stupid penalties, I'd almost consider it likely that they would. Unfortunately, given that they've played over 100 games in the new NHL and still can't seem to understand that putting your stick to a guys waist is going to be a penalty every time, it's hard to fathom that mistakes like that won't end up costing them in the end. Giving Carolina 3 PP goals in game 5 nearly gave them the game, so hopefully that's the wake up call they need to smarten up.

As for Torres and Hemsky, welcome to life watching the Oilers. Probably the two most talented forwards we have, when they decide to play. At least with Hemsky you get the sense that experience and maturity will help him, with Torres, it's complete disinterest for periods at a time that render him completely useless, but when he does decide to play, he can take over ever facet of the game.

If only we could get those guys (and Samsonov) to show the drive/desire that Pisani/Moreau/Smyth show on a shift to shift basis, we'd be in the drivers seat in the series right now.
Travis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2006, 01:28 PM   #1247
bbor
Pro Starter

Quote:

Old 06-15-2006, 01:30 PM   #1248
Draft Dodger
Coordinator

Quote:

a thing of beauty
Old 06-15-2006, 02:17 PM   #1249
Honolulu_Blue
Hockey Boy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Travis
Provided that Markkanen continues his level of play, the Oilers have a chance to force a game 7. If they can ever get it through their heads to quit taking stupid penalties, I'd almost consider it likely that they would. Unfortunately, given that they've played over 100 games in the new NHL and still can't seem to understand that putting your stick to a guys waist is going to be a penalty every time, it's hard to fathom that mistakes like that won't end up costing them in the end. Giving Carolina 3 PP goals in game 5 nearly gave them the game, so hopefully that's the wake up call they need to smarten up.

As for Torres and Hemsky, welcome to life watching the Oilers. Probably the two most talented forwards we have, when they decide to play. At least with Hemsky you get the sense that experience and maturity will help him, with Torres, it's complete disinterest for periods at a time that render him completely useless, but when he does decide to play, he can take over ever facet of the game.

If only we could get those guys (and Samsonov) to show the drive/desire that Pisani/Moreau/Smyth show on a shift to shift basis, we'd be in the drivers seat in the series right now.

Poor Matt Greene. Poor, poor Matt Greene. I feel bad for the kid. I always like young big, tough bruising defensemen and it's hard to see the guy go out there and try to "play his game" and continue to take penalties without fail. I have started to refer to him as "Ole Two Minutes."

Samsonov has a decent amount of points in these playoffs, I was actually surprised at how many, considering he isn't anywhere near as much of a presence as the Pisani/Peca/Moreau/Smyths. He does some shifty stick-handling every once in a while, but that seems to be it for long stretches. There was a lot of talk of the Wings trying to lure him to Detroit (since his family lives here), but I am just not sure he's what the Wings need up front.

Here's what a buddy of mine - an big Oiler fan and one of Edmonton's Finest - said about Torres a couple of weeks ago:

"Regarding Torres, he reminds me of Messier in his youth in that you can tell in the first period if he’s going to have an impact. If you see him in a scrum following a whistle or arguing with someone from the bench - watch out. I don’t understand why teams don’t stay away from him, once he’s emotionally involved he’s twice the player."

Last edited by Honolulu_Blue : 06-15-2006 at 02:20 PM.
Old 06-15-2006, 02:32 PM   #1250
Wolfpack
Pro Rookie

The Oilers can take all the stupid penalties they like at home. Carolina's PP is considerably worse away from the RBC Center.

I also agree that Ward finally looked very mortal last night. He didn't do anything special, not like Markannen who got several good saves, including a nice lucky one that thwacked him when he wasn't looking. I'm awfully concerned about his mental makeup heading into game six right now. You can tell he's not the same as he was during that four-period strech from the end of game one into game two. I think Markannen has outplayed him the last three games.