Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Archives > FOFC Archive
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 05-17-2006, 09:08 PM   #1201
Mustang
Grizzled Veteran

They've never busted out percentages from what I can remember... seems odd to do it this week given everyone questioning last week.
You, you will regret what you have done this day. I will make you regret ever being born. Your going to wish you never left your mothers womb, where it was warm and safe... and wet. i am going to show you pain you never knew existed, you are going to see a whole new spectrum of pain, like a Rainboooow. But! This rainbow is not just like any other rainbow, its...
Mustang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2006, 09:08 PM   #1202
Logan
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ksyrup
The voting percentages were something like 33.68, 33.23, and 33.06. In other words, the three of them pretty much got 1/3 of the vote and were separated by percentage points.

Not an eff-in chance.
Logan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2006, 09:10 PM   #1203
Logan
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mustang
They've never busted out percentages from what I can remember... seems odd to do it this week given everyone questioning last week.

Good point. This is my first season watching, but all season they've done a pretty good job at quickly reacting to whatever controversy went on during the week (see: sitting Chris down and having him say he wasn't trying to rip off Live).
Old 05-17-2006, 09:13 PM   #1204
Buccaneer
Head Coach

Come on, read the disclaimer. They can give you any numbers they want just to keep you watching and coming back next to watch some more. Nothing actually wrong with doing that.
Buccaneer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2006, 09:16 PM   #1205
Logan
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buccaneer
Come on, read the disclaimer. They can give you any numbers they want just to keep you watching and coming back next to watch some more.

And to keep you coming back, apparently...
Old 05-17-2006, 09:21 PM   #1206
Buccaneer
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by Logan
And to keep you coming back, apparently...

Actually I've only caught about 5 minutes of the show. I like watching the clips on the internet a lot. No commercials.
Old 05-17-2006, 09:34 PM   #1207
Logan
Head Coach

Quote:
Actually I've only caught about 5 minutes of the show. I like watching the clips on the internet a lot. No commercials.

Was I confusing you for someone else who came into this thread and ripped everyone for having an interest in this show?
Old 05-17-2006, 09:40 PM   #1208
Buccaneer
Head Coach

Quote:
Was I confusing you for someone else who came into this thread and ripped everyone for having an interest in this show?

That's been said before but I don't think it was me (for this season). I had been following all of the commentaries (esp. by Jim and Ksyrup) very closely and ridicule the lack of talent and judgements of others in promoting talentlessness, as well as style. I don't like the Idol machine (or the pop industry in general) for what they try to sell (or force) upon the public. Like Ksyrup said, Rockstar is a much better showcase.
Old 05-17-2006, 09:41 PM   #1209
sabotai
General Manager

Quote:

Ouch. How does it feel to be confused with PSUColonel, Buc?
sabotai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2006, 09:46 PM   #1210
Buccaneer
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by sabotai
Ouch. How does it feel to be confused with PSUColonel, Buc?

Ouch indeed.
Old 05-17-2006, 10:11 PM   #1211
Schmidty
Coordinator

Quote:
That's been said before but I don't think it was me (for this season). I had been following all of the commentaries (esp. by Jim and Ksyrup) very closely and ridicule the lack of talent and judgements of others in promoting talentlessness, as well as style.

Seriously, how concieted is that? Have you devoted your life to music? Even if you have (which you haven't), how can you make such blanket statements? Is your opinion that much more important or valuable than other people (especially others that are actually musicians)?

If you don't like the show, don't watch it (even via internet clips), and don't be a troll in a thread devoted to a show you hate.

Come on, Steve.

Last edited by Schmidty : 05-17-2006 at 10:16 PM.
Schmidty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2006, 10:21 PM   #1212
Buccaneer
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by Schmidty
Seriously, how concieted is that? Have you devoted your life to music? Even if you have (which you haven't), how can you make such blanket statements? Is your opinion that much more important or valuable than other people (especially others that are actually musicians)?

If you don't like the show, don't watch it (even via internet clips), and don't be a troll in a thread devoted to a show you hate.

Come on, Steve.

Ah, the Soul Patrol rears its ugly head.

I've been a fan of music for over 30 years and I know what I like and don't like - just like the rest of us. My opinions are no more or less important than anyone else and if we can ridicule the likes of Chicken Little or the Bad Dancing Karaoke Man (great phrase, Jim), we can damn well do so. On the other hand, Chris rocks (when he was rarely given the chance) and Kat is a goddess.
Old 05-17-2006, 10:33 PM   #1213
Joe
Pro Starter

chris sucks
Joe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2006, 10:35 PM   #1214
ISiddiqui
Hall Of Famer

Speaking of Chris, I heard the best line ever about him on "The Soup" on E! by Joel McHale:

"Chris, who does the best Creed impressive EVER... on every single song"

Old 05-17-2006, 11:50 PM   #1215
Pumpy Tudors
Bounty Hunter

I wish American Idol would keep all contestants the fuck away from Aretha, because ain't none of 'em gonna get it right.
Old 05-18-2006, 12:15 AM   #1216
Solecismic
Solecismic Software

Quote:
Originally Posted by sabotai
33.68%
33.28%
33.08%

Something like that were the 3 percentages for each contestant.

I think they want us to believe Kat has a chance against BDKM next week. I also think they've tightened up the phone lines to make it harder to measure busy signals.

I don't believe those vote percentages, just as I don't believe last year's finalists were separated by only 1,000 votes.
Solecismic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2006, 12:38 AM   #1217
Vinatieri for Prez
College Starter

I'm still hanging in for Kat's two buddies to win this thing.
Vinatieri for Prez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2006, 01:56 AM   #1218
Glengoyne
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by cuervo72
Hmm. I really like it when Aretha sings this. Kat, not quite as much.

And do the producers tell her to show us her toes?

Damn I thought that was one of Kat's better performances.
Glengoyne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2006, 02:08 AM   #1219
Glengoyne
Grizzled Veteran

I still don't get some people's take on Taylor. He can sing, and he has a presense while on stage. He knows how to act on stage. Albeit, he behaves a bit dorky, but all in all it works. Jim is pretty ridiculous rating Taylor as 12th. For Goodness sakes Chicken Little was in the top ten. Taylor is no Clay Aiken, but then again for all that lots of people say about Elliot's voice, he is no Clay Aiken either.
Old 05-18-2006, 09:30 AM   #1220
ISiddiqui
Hall Of Famer

You think Taylor can sing?!
Old 05-18-2006, 09:57 AM   #1221
Solecismic
Solecismic Software

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glengoyne
I still don't get some people's take on Taylor. He can sing, and he has a presense while on stage. He knows how to act on stage. Albeit, he behaves a bit dorky, but all in all it works. Jim is pretty ridiculous rating Taylor as 12th. For Goodness sakes Chicken Little was in the top ten. Taylor is no Clay Aiken, but then again for all that lots of people say about Elliot's voice, he is no Clay Aiken either.

If you go back and read everything I've written along the line, you'll have a good idea of where the rating came from. The schtick just doesn't work for me. I prefer someone who will make a good recording to someone who performs.

That said, you're being deliberately obtuse. I made it clear these rankings are out of all 24 semifinalists. Kevin Covais ranked 19th of 24, far behind Taylor, and that's with his early exit boost not factored out (again, I rate a little tougher as the competition progresses).
Old 05-18-2006, 10:13 AM   #1222
Ksyrup
This guy has posted so much, his fingers are about to fall off.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Solecismic
I prefer someone who will make a good recording to someone who performs.

I do, too. Except for when it's someone whose album I'd never buy. Then I'd rather that person be a better performer than singer.
M's pitcher Miguel Batista: "Now, I feel like I've had everything. I've talked pitching with Sandy Koufax, had Kenny G play for me. Maybe if I could have an interview with God, then I'd be served. I'd be complete."
Ksyrup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2006, 06:05 PM   #1223
Glengoyne
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by ISiddiqui
You think Taylor can sing?!

He actually can. In fact, hold on to your boxers. I prefer Taylor to Elliot.
Old 05-18-2006, 06:12 PM   #1224
Glengoyne
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Solecismic
If you go back and read everything I've written along the line, you'll have a good idea of where the rating came from. The schtick just doesn't work for me. I prefer someone who will make a good recording to someone who performs.

That said, you're being deliberately obtuse. I made it clear these rankings are out of all 24 semifinalists. Kevin Covais ranked 19th of 24, far behind Taylor, and that's with his early exit boost not factored out (again, I rate a little tougher as the competition progresses).

As for the schtick. I'm buying it. Well not his album, but for the purpose of the show, I think he is one of the better complete packages we've seen. He isn't lacking desperately as a vocallist, and he knows how to entertain, even if he looks goofy while doing it. The goof factor works for him, not against him.

As for me being deliberately obtuse...I made the assumption that you were only rating the twelve finalists. While I apparently read your posts here frequently, I apparently don't rate the trivial details as very memorable.
Old 05-18-2006, 06:12 PM   #1225
Critch
lolzcat

I far prefer Taylor to Katherine (and the late, great Elliott), I think he's got a better voice too.

I may be missing the Katherine appeal though, as I generally watch AI with my pants on
Critch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2006, 06:49 PM   #1226
Joe
Pro Starter

elliott's not bad for being 90% deaf in one ear
Old 05-18-2006, 07:47 PM   #1227
FBPro
College Starter

I like both Kat and Taylor, I think that Elliott is just a step below them in talent but he really seems like a good guy, very sincere and genuine. Hope that this exposure on AI helps him to go along way.
GM Tennessee Titans FOWL 2020-2025
FBPro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2006, 05:23 PM   #1228
Solecismic
Solecismic Software

Do not read this if you feel it will spoil the show to know who is singing what tonight...

Each contestant picked two songs he or she has already sung during the competition. In addition, each will sing a third song written for them to release separately. Unlike last season, they will not sing the same song.

Both have chosen very different strategies.

Taylor has chosen to sing Elton John's "Levon," which he sang in the first semifinal way back on February 22. I scored it a 60, which is a bit under my average for him this season.

He has also chosen to sing Stevie Wonder's "Living for the City," which he sang during Stevie Wonder week on March 14. I scored it an 81, which is my highest grade for him this season.

The song written for him is called "Do I Make You Proud."

Katharine McPhee has chosen to stick with the recent past. She will sing "Somewhere Over the Rainbow," by Toto (no, just kidding, it was originally recorded by Judy Garland, I think). She sang that last week, on May 16, and I scored it an 87, which is solidly above her average this season.

She has also chosen to sing "Black Horse and Cherry Tree," by K.T. Tunstall. She sang that on May 2 as her current chart hit choice. I scored that an 86.

The song written for her is called "My Destiny," which is second place.

EDIT: There are several people who are correcting "Rainbow" to "Someone to Watch Over Me," which she sang on April 18 as part of Rod Stewart's American Standards week. I scored that a 94, which is my highest grade for her this season.

"Black Horse and Cherry Tree" might be the performance of the season to date, and that's a great choice. Going with last week's "Rainbow" again is a real problem. There's nowhere to go but down from last week's high. If she is going with the standard "Someone to Watch" instead, I think she's putting her best foot forward.

Taylor has made excellent choices. He went with his strongest performance to those who don't like his schtick. And he went with the first song that really captivated those who do like him. We will get a good representation of who Taylor is tonight, and it should maximize his potential.

Idol will never release true voting results, but I'd be amazed if Taylor didn't win.

Last edited by Solecismic : 05-23-2006 at 05:32 PM.
Old 05-23-2006, 05:35 PM   #1229
Joe
Pro Starter

I really liked Taylor's singing of Elton John's Levon. Haven't liked much of his stuff since then, though.
Old 05-23-2006, 07:44 PM   #1230
Flasch186
Coordinator

your new idol will be Taylor, based on these horrible performances by McPhee. Even her over the Rainbow sounds like a HS play.

Putting a New Spin on Real Estate!

-----------------------------------------------------------

Commissioner of the USFL
USFL
Flasch186 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2006, 07:54 PM   #1231
Ksyrup

That song Kat sang was horrible, from note one. Her performance was bad, but not as bad as the song.
M's pitcher Miguel Batista: "Now, I feel like I've had everything. I've talked pitching with Sandy Koufax, had Kenny G play for me. Maybe if I could have an interview with God, then I'd be served. I'd be complete."
Old 05-23-2006, 08:00 PM   #1232
Buccaneer
Head Coach

Hmm. If that's true, then I would shake my head in disbelief at how this will turn out.
Old 05-23-2006, 08:12 PM   #1233
Swaggs
Coordinator

Looks like Soul Patrol is it.
Swaggs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2006, 08:13 PM   #1234
Thomkal
Head Coach

Well tonight summed up how I feel about the two finalists. Kat has the better voice one capable of producing goosebumps like with her Over the Rainbow, but is too inconsistent in showcasing it. Taylor does not really have that strong a voice, but is much more consistent with it than Kat. He generally knows how to use it to his best advantage and Kat does not. The last song they each sang in particular showed that and that's why Taylor will win.

(But I reserve the right to change my opinion if Kat wins )
Thomkal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2006, 08:46 PM   #1235
Ksyrup

Kat never had a chance, even before tonight. Taylor's never been in the bottom 3 and should breeze to an easy win, regardless of whatever "closest vote ever" crap they try to blow up our asses.

I don't know who writes those songs, but they should be taken out back and shot. We don't need any more of those types of songs polluting the airwaves. Pure garbage. Even my wife thought so, which is saying something.
Old 05-23-2006, 09:10 PM   #1236
Logan
Head Coach

Quote:
Kat never had a chance, even before tonight. Taylor's never been in the bottom 3 and should breeze to an easy win, regardless of whatever "closest vote ever" crap they try to blow up our asses.

I don't know who writes those songs, but they should be taken out back and shot. We don't need any more of those types of songs polluting the airwaves. Pure garbage. Even my wife thought so, which is saying something.

Sure as hell wasn't a ringing endorsement of the writers by the judges. I could just picture them backstage yelling "F*%&!!!"
Old 05-23-2006, 09:12 PM   #1237
ISiddiqui
Hall Of Famer

Taylor will roll. Hell, let's be honest here, he would have rolled over anyone. They probably could have combined Kat and Chris and Taylor would have drubbed them over the head. Not because he's necessarily that much better, but because his personality has made him into a star. Not that that will help him out in his future career.

Anyway, I predict they'll say this was the CLOSEST final idol vote ever.

Oh, and interesting thing I've learned. I've been saying the winner needs to get themselves out of the AI contract like Clarkson did and produced a great 2nd CD. The 2nd CD (Breakway) was done UNDER THE IDOL LABEL! No kidding! The back of the CD says Clive Davis produced it, under 19 Entertainment. I take back what I said, it seems that the AI label isn't all that bad at all... just in first albums for some reason.
Old 05-23-2006, 09:17 PM   #1238
Ksyrup

Quote:
Sure as hell wasn't a ringing endorsement of the writers by the judges. I could just picture them backstage yelling "F*%&!!!"

I was pleasantly surprised by that. Kat's song was horrid. Taylor's was pretty blah, but he performed it pretty well. Still, both songs were lifeless, soulless, sappy garbage.
Old 05-23-2006, 10:28 PM   #1239
Solecismic
Solecismic Software

On a day that always feels like the train left the station days ago, American Idol wrapped up its performances tonight. This is always the worst show. The judges become more conservative and predictable, the contestants recycle songs we've already heard, there are the usual stars in the audience, mingling with mindless pre-teen chimpanzees with capable lungs.

And then there's the big downer: original songs written to be released as singles by the unlucky finalists. These aren't ordinary pop songs, either. These are songs specially designed to suck the life out of music. These are songs that, once you've heard them once or twice, you vow to rip off your ears and have your iPod replaced with an 8-track recording of nature sounds.

I hate the finals. There's no point, other than the self-congratulatory wallowing of Fox executives, still in shock that this is the number-one show on television and they're getting $1.3 million for each commercial.

The decision as to who won was made ages ago, even though Simon likes to pretend it's up for grabs. I didn't have my Gibberish to English dictionary handy, so I have no idea what Paula said. Randy seems to like Taylor. Or not like Katharine. Or maybe he's sick of it, too.

So, the performers sang three songs. And in honor of my father, who would have turned 80 today (geez, that sounds old), here are the last Solecismic Ratings of the 2006 season.

1. Katharine McPhee. I know. There was zero doubt who I'd rank number one tonight. It was like choosing between pepperoni pizza and a plate of mushy cooked carrots.

She started off by reprising K.T. Tunstall's "Black Horse and Cherry Tree" from week 11. Long story short, she seemed relaxed, she knows the song now, it's the performance I'll take away from this season. Absolutely recordable, almost flawless. This is what she should be doing as a singer. Score of 96.

Her second song was a reprise of "Somewhere Over the Rainbow," which she sung in week 13 as Simon's choice for her. She won a lot of accolades. I thought she was good last week, just not quite at her best. It sounded like she fixed the problems with last week's arrangement. It was less affected. But maybe a little more saccharine, like she knew it was good but was afraid to go for it. Score of 86.

Her third song was a little ditty called "My Destiny," which was apparently written just for Kat. The idea being that there are a lot of 16-year-old girls out there who will hear this song and say "that's what I want to hear at my wedding, because it's all about me and the man who loves me (even though I haven't met him yet)."

It was an excruciating song. They should play this song at jailhouse weddings just to punish criminals who decide to get married. You cold tell no one liked it, especially Kat. And that was the problem. She just didn't put anything into it. You have to be able to put your best into everything you sing on this show, and Kat made a boring song sound really boring. She screeched on what few high notes there were, she oversold the one register change that might have been nice. It wasn't pleasant. I bet Kellie Pickler would have made this song sound good, not that she deserved to be there tonight (especially with her new soccer-mom hairdo). Score of 59.

2. Taylor Hicks. Bad Dancing Karaoke Man made the finals. That seemed inevitable from week one. Oh, he's nice enough and he sure can perform. I just don't think he's right for a singing contest.

He opened with his Stevie Wonder week song, "Living for the City." This was his best performance of the season, hands down. He did it well in week 4, and he was even better tonight. He has a real flair for knowing when to emote in a song, and he did a good job with a tough melody. Score of 85.

His second song was a reprise of his week 1 adventure with Elton John's "Levon." This is another very tough song, and I have to give Taylor credit for going out tonight on a high degree of difficulty. But this song was too much for him. He missed notes here and there and really could not avoid the karaoke comparison. Score of 62.

For all of Taylor's efforts, he was rewarded with a pretty maudlin song for his finale. It was called "Do I Make You Proud," and was apparently written as a challenge to the songwriter's mother, because only a parent would be proud of this piece of popcrap that not even Britney Spears would get her skanky paws dirty over.

Taylor, to his eternal credit, tried to sing the hell out of this song. And because it was such a mindless, useless tune, it ended up sounding like Taylor, and not like karaoke at all. He does get bonus points for not acting like a baby and making it clear to everyone he hated it. Score of 82.

So, the finals were close. Katharine gets the edge, because she has the better voice and she had such a signature performance with the alterno-adult tune from Tunstall. But Taylor was at his best tonight, and certainly invigorated his fans.

Who should win? Katharine. Overall average score this season: 81.

Who will win? Taylor. Over average score this season: 66.

And that's a wrap.
Old 05-23-2006, 11:17 PM   #1240
Schmidty
Coordinator

Just watched it. Haven't read this thread yet.

Taylor destroyed Katherine.

He is real, and talented - "karaoke" or not.

She wants to be Whitney Dion. There are more than enough of those types in pop music.

It really wasn't fair though, imo. He has been honing his trade for a long, long time in real life, while she's been singing "Somewhere Over the Rainbow" in front of the mirror. Speaking of that, everytime I've heard her sing her rendition, I have to wash my ears out with Israel Kamakawiwo'ole's inspired version.

All in all, everyone says that taylor is karaoke, but I think Katherine is even more so, especially since she's basically a little girl trying to be a diva.

Anyway, I like Taylor a lot, but I still think Elliott should have won. Since that won't happen, I really hope that the most worthy person - Taylor - wins tomorrow.
Old 05-23-2006, 11:20 PM   #1241
Swaggs
Coordinator

I thought it was funny when Ryan talked to Chris Daughtry. It seemed like Chris wanted to talk and get some camera time and he got cut off real quick.
Swaggs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2006, 11:21 PM   #1242
Schmidty
Coordinator

Quote:
Still, both songs were lifeless, soulless, sappy garbage.

It's pop music. What did you expect? Tom Waits?
Old 05-23-2006, 11:22 PM   #1243
Mustang
Grizzled Veteran

Whatever the result, I'm sure you will see a series of 'Mama McPhee's Singing School for American Idols span across the country.
You, you will regret what you have done this day. I will make you regret ever being born. Your going to wish you never left your mothers womb, where it was warm and safe... and wet. i am going to show you pain you never knew existed, you are going to see a whole new spectrum of pain, like a Rainboooow. But! This rainbow is not just like any other rainbow, its...
Mustang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2006, 11:23 PM   #1244
Schmidty
Coordinator

I see bsak here. Shouldn't you be running the sim, boy?
Old 05-24-2006, 01:43 AM   #1245
Vinatieri for Prez
College Starter

Still liked McPhee's two songs. Clearly her best of the season, hence she sang them twice. Taylor impressed me some on the SW song, but I still don't like him. McPhee's last song was horrendous in both the song and her singing.

Anyways, I don't think tonight's songs will matter. I think the fans are pretty much set in their voting and that's the way it is going to go. Now for my shocker. The teenie bopper girl/boy vote carries the day for Kat McPhee (not to mention a computer/phone glitch). What?! Am I crazy? Shouldn't all of Elliot's votes go to Taylor? You'd think so, but don't ever underestimate the voting power of the teenage girls and boys. It's all about getting out the vote. And according to Joe Trippey, the youth vote is coming out for this one.

Last edited by Vinatieri for Prez : 05-24-2006 at 01:44 AM.
Vinatieri for Prez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2006, 07:23 PM   #1246
Easy Mac

I'd have to say McPhee's breasts look magnificent in that black dress.
Easy Mac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2006, 07:24 PM   #1247
Easy Mac

Oh my God, its Seeley Booth!!!! And does Taye Diggs have a Fox show next year?
Old 05-24-2006, 07:26 PM   #1248
Joe
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Easy Mac
Oh my God, its Seeley Booth!!!! And does Taye Diggs have a Fox show next year?

he has a new show called DayBreak, but its on ABC
Old 05-24-2006, 07:31 PM   #1249
Easy Mac

Quote:
Originally Posted by George W Bush
he has a new show called DayBreak, but its on ABC

That's weird, because they made a point of showing him last night.
Old 05-24-2006, 08:25 PM   #1250
Anthony
Banned

whoever it was that placed the bet that Clay Aiken could indeed look even more gay: come and claim your prize.
Anthony is offline   Reply With Quote