Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Archives > FOFC Archive
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 01-11-2006, 04:56 PM   #1201
Godzilla Blitz
College Starter

Does anyone know if it's possible to add last names and first names to game's database for when the game generates fictional players?

Although the range of last names and first names isn't bad, there seems to be a rather limited range. When you play with a fictional universe, it'd be a bit easier to keep track of everyone if there were a greater variety.
Godzilla Blitz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2006, 05:10 PM   #1202
MrIllini
High School Varsity

Quote:
Originally Posted by path12
Hmmm. I'm at work so I can't remember right now exactly right now but IIRC I get the demo message, click on that and immediately get the crash and the two additional errors. No chance to hit any other icons.

This is the same case I'm facing.
Old 01-11-2006, 07:13 PM   #1203
PraetorianX
High School JV

Quote:
Originally Posted by path12
Hmmm. I'm at work so I can't remember right now exactly right now but IIRC I get the demo message, click on that and immediately get the crash and the two additional errors. No chance to hit any other icons.

Yes, you get an error saying something about we've encountered a serious error blah blah blah making an error report, then right after that something about a virtual function call or somesuch?

After I get that, I just restart WSM and it works fine (not restarting Comp).
PraetorianX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2006, 08:29 PM   #1204
BreizhManu
College Benchwarmer

Quote:
Originally Posted by FrogMan
has any of you bought young players with the mention "touted as the new..."? I find this very cool. I'm at the start of the 2007/08 season with Luton Town and my starting keeper is getting up there in age at 35. I mean he's served me real well in my first two seasons but I was looking to find him a replacement in the offseason. I got a 20yo kid who's touted as the next Shay Given, not too bad, huh. Even better, I signed a 16yo off some League Two team and only realised once he got to my team that he is touted as the next Paul Robinson... Both of them are promising keepers and obviously the 16yo is a long way from the starting eleven, but the 20yo is already a top notch keeper with a couple of 20s in his skill set...

FM
Check Adailton (new Juan) and Bourillon (new Vieira), both playing for rennes at the beginning of the game.

New Vieira is exagerated for Bourillon since his ratings are nowhere close to those of vieira (he is still a very good player).
BreizhManu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2006, 10:48 PM   #1205
chris3627
n00b

8. When making a transfer offer for a player the team will reraise you. For example player A is valued at $10k, I make a bid of $10k. The other team will come back to me with a counter offer of $50k. I'll make my counter offer of $40k. The other team will give me a second counter offer of $55k and they won't budge off this new higher price. A few months later I can make another 10k bid and I'll accept the first counteroffer of $50k because that's usually what they're worth. This reraising gets annoying after a while.

Don't get wrong, I don't mean to nitpick, this is a wonderful game that was developed, my compliments to your whole crew at SI. But since you seem to be listening I wanna throw my 2 cents in. Thanks.
chris3627 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2006, 10:49 PM   #1206
sovereignstar
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Godzilla Blitz
Although the range of last names and first names isn't bad, there seems to be a rather limited range. When you play with a fictional universe, it'd be a bit easier to keep track of everyone if there were a greater variety.

I decided to take a look at what a fictional MLS league would look like and ughhh..

Out of 428 Americans (based in America):

2 Josh Allens
2 David Bells
2 Adam Browns
2 Ryan Clarks
3 Dombrowskis
3 Chris Flores
2 David Flores (10 Flores overall)
2 Jason Gomez
2 David Hall
2 Chris Henderson
2 John Hunt
2 John Miller
3 Kevin Miller
2 Tim Miller

And it just goes on. That's horrible.

Last edited by sovereignstar : 01-11-2006 at 11:04 PM.
sovereignstar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2006, 11:23 PM   #1207
RPI-Fan
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by chris3627
8. When making a transfer offer for a player the team will reraise you. For example player A is valued at $10k, I make a bid of $10k. The other team will come back to me with a counter offer of $50k. I'll make my counter offer of $40k. The other team will give me a second counter offer of $55k and they won't budge off this new higher price. A few months later I can make another 10k bid and I'll accept the first counteroffer of $50k because that's usually what they're worth. This reraising gets annoying after a while.

Don't get wrong, I don't mean to nitpick, this is a wonderful game that was developed, my compliments to your whole crew at SI. But since you seem to be listening I wanna throw my 2 cents in. Thanks.

This is one I actually don't consider a bug, and in fact I think it's a good thing. Without it, there would never be ANY punishment for negotiating offers. Fact is, there's isn't always room to manuever, and I think this is a team's way of indicating that.

I know this doesn't happen all the time, so from my view it seems like an intended feature.
Old 01-11-2006, 11:46 PM   #1208
Godzilla Blitz
College Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by sovereignstar
I decided to take a look at what a fictional MLS league would look like and ughhh..

2 Josh Allens
2 David Bells
2 Adam Browns
2 Ryan Clarks
3 Dombrowskis
3 Chris Flores
2 Jason Gomez
2 David Hall
2 Chris Henderson
2 John Hunt
2 John Miller
3 Kevin Miller
2 Tim Miller

It's not that bad in England, but it still could use work, IMHO. You think this is bad, though, try a fictional league in EHM. -That- is horrible, and unplayably so.

I'm not finding it to be a huge issue in FM, as the game is perfectly playable in its current state. I do have to admit, though, that the similar names make it challenging to keep track of players in the news and remember which player is which. I've got two Robinsons on my team, and it seems like every team I play has a Robinson on it, and my scout finds a Robinson I should acquire almost every month. Early in one match I saw my defender, by the name of Watson, set up my striker, named Robinson, for a beautiful goal. I pumped my fist...then realized that the two players were from the other team. They had a defender named Watson and a striker named Robinson as well. It's mostly little things like that.

Basically, I just am imagining that in my fictional world there were about 100 families that procreated like bunnies, and the rest were wiped out by Bubonic Plague. It works, and I have fun.

Having said that, it would be great if there were a way to add more names to the database when FM generates a new fictional game start.

Last edited by Godzilla Blitz : 01-11-2006 at 11:51 PM.
Old 01-12-2006, 03:08 AM   #1209
AlexB
Pro Starter

Quote:

2 Josh Allens
2 David Bells
2 Adam Browns
2 Ryan Clarks
3 Dombrowskis
3 Chris Flores
2 Jason Gomez
2 David Hall
2 Chris Henderson
2 John Hunt
2 John Miller
3 Kevin Miller
2 Tim Miller

And the crowd sing:

There's only 2 Josh Allens, 2 Josh Allens, there's only 2 Josh Allens...
AlexB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2006, 07:21 AM   #1210
Ajaxab
College Benchwarmer

"There's only 2 Andy Goram's" has to be one of the cruelest but funniest chants I've heard...
Ajaxab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2006, 07:50 AM   #1211
Marc Vaughan
SI Games

Names - you can add them using the editor, it uses the names available to players in the game database. This is why the American name range is smaller than the English one (simply put there are a fair few more English players in the game than Americans)
Marc Vaughan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2006, 09:08 AM   #1212
scooter
High School Varsity

Quote:
Originally Posted by chris3627

Have you followed the real life transfer dealings of Liverpool trying to get Simao from Portugal? Or any number of other high profile transfers? If a team doesn't want to give up a player, they will continue to negotiate higher, forcing you to decide how important this transfer really is. And value is their "market" value, not their value to the team. That's why, if you know the player is worth more than the "market" value, you've got to increase your bid, sometimes significantly. So no, I don't think this is a bug either
scooter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2006, 01:07 PM   #1213
Godzilla Blitz
College Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marc Vaughan
Names - you can add them using the editor, it uses the names available to players in the game database. This is why the American name range is smaller than the English one (simply put there are a fair few more English players in the game than Americans)

Aha. Cool. Thanks.

So if I've got this correct, I can go open up the game editor before I start a new game, and open up the main database, then either:

1. Change the last names of some of the existing players from the nations I want to use in my game, or...

2. Create some new players of the desired nationalities?

Would doing this have the effect of creating a greater range of player names for newly generated players in an existing game?

Also, it's the "players" section of the database that I should be looking at, then editing the "names" fields in that section?
Old 01-12-2006, 01:31 PM   #1214
sovereignstar
Pro Starter

Adding enough names to make a difference via the editor = monumental task = laissez faire
Old 01-12-2006, 01:47 PM   #1215
Godzilla Blitz
College Starter

Quote:
Adding enough names to make a difference via the editor = monumental task = laissez faire

You think so? I'm not being facetious here, but I was honestly thinking I could just go in and replace half of the high-frequency names (Robinson, Watson, Kerr, McDonald, etc.) with ones with a little more flavor. Could probably do close to ten names a minute once you get a system down. Ten minutes a day for a week = 700 new names and 700 of the overused names gone. I'd probably pull names off a census list and just cut and paste into the correct fields in FM. I would think that would make a difference. Heck, just cutting the number of Robinsons in half in my game would be great, and I can do that in five minutes tops.

I wouldn't be aiming to get at all the names, mind you, rather the ones from the countries I'm playing (UK and Ireland).
Old 01-13-2006, 07:34 AM   #1216
Koryo
n00b

Another issue: I run the highlights in the game slightly faster than normal. If the game goes to the tactical menu from a pitch highlight, then it repeats all the action that happenend. I only mention this as a bug because it wasn't an issue that was present in the 2005 version and it just seems so odd watching about 10 seconds of highlights while the players on the pitch are standing around waiting for the sub announcements.
Koryo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2006, 07:49 AM   #1217
FrogMan
Hattrick Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Koryo
Another issue: I run the highlights in the game slightly faster than normal. If the game goes to the tactical menu from a pitch highlight, then it repeats all the action that happenend. I only mention this as a bug because it wasn't an issue that was present in the 2005 version and it just seems so odd watching about 10 seconds of highlights while the players on the pitch are standing around waiting for the sub announcements.

this happens to me with the highlights and text commentary speeds set straight in the middle and yes, it is very odd. Reminds me of the one time I officiated in a pee-wee hockey game that was shown on TV locally and we had the kids waiting before a face-off so the TV could come back from its commercial break

FM
Old 01-13-2006, 08:42 AM   #1218
Marc Vaughan
SI Games

Quote:
You think so? I'm not being facetious here, but I was honestly thinking I could just go in and replace half of the high-frequency names (Robinson, Watson, Kerr, McDonald, etc.) with ones with a little more flavor. Could probably do close to ten names a minute once you get a system down. Ten minutes a day for a week = 700 new names and 700 of the overused names gone. I'd probably pull names off a census list and just cut and paste into the correct fields in FM. I would think that would make a difference. Heck, just cutting the number of Robinsons in half in my game would be great, and I can do that in five minutes tops.

I wouldn't be aiming to get at all the names, mind you, rather the ones from the countries I'm playing (UK and Ireland).
To get a greater variety - easiest thing is to equalise the 'counts' used in the names, as there is a bias in game to the more common names.

Set all name counts to 0 and you'll find a level bias and more variety.
Old 01-13-2006, 09:18 AM   #1219
WSUCougar
Rider Of Rohan

Question

Anyone?
Quote:
Originally Posted by WSUCougar
Is there an available definition list for player's favorite moves? I am puzzled by several of them.
Old 01-13-2006, 09:46 AM   #1220
Cringer
Grizzled Veteran

I would like to know this too WSU.

I would also like some definitions for some of the ratings categories. Pace, natural fitness, and a couple others I am not sure exactly how they impact things or what they are. I have guesses but I am sure they are wrong.

Also, is there any known way to reduce a players Aggression rating?
Old 01-13-2006, 11:24 AM   #1221
scooter
High School Varsity

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cringer
I would also like some definitions for some of the ratings categories. Pace, natural fitness, and a couple others I am not sure exactly how they impact things or what they are. I have guesses but I am sure they are wrong.

Also, is there any known way to reduce a players Aggression rating?

About every other version of the game this info is in the manual, but I checked FM2006 and it isn't in there. Download Marc's Hints and Tips Guide from SI's site. Appendix A has a detailed description of all the attributes. I think some of the attributes never change or change very little. Aggression seems to be one of them. If you think about it, it makes sense. Maybe as a player gets older they "mellow" a little bit but that's probably about it.

As for the favorite moves, I can't help you there. Maybe if you guys had some questions on some of them, you could post them and we could discuss them. Maybe we could figure them out together.
Old 01-13-2006, 11:33 AM   #1222
MikeVick7
College Benchwarmer

Quote:
Originally Posted by scooter
About every other version of the game this info is in the manual, but I checked FM2006 and it isn't in there. Download Marc's Hints and Tips Guide from SI's site. Appendix A has a detailed description of all the attributes. I think some of the attributes never change or change very little. Aggression seems to be one of them. If you think about it, it makes sense. Maybe as a player gets older they "mellow" a little bit but that's probably about it.

As for the favorite moves, I can't help you there. Maybe if you guys had some questions on some of them, you could post them and we could discuss them. Maybe we could figure them out together.

And here is the link to said document.

http://www.sigames.com/downloads.php?type=view&id=358
Old 01-13-2006, 11:42 AM   #1223
WSUCougar
Rider Of Rohan

Quote:
Okay.

Likes Ones and Twos (or Ones-Twos): This sounds to me like the soccer version of a give-and-go.

Doesn't dive into tackles: Tackles are less violent and thereby less prone to fouls?

Plays tricks: Ummmm...

Sets the tempo: I understand what this is saying, but I'd like to know more of what bearing it has in game terms.
Old 01-13-2006, 11:43 AM   #1224
Cringer
Grizzled Veteran

Thanks guys. Did not know about this tip guide. Only previous version I had was CM 00/01, and right now I have WSM '06 download version, which isn't real big on detailed information in the help area.
Old 01-13-2006, 11:54 AM   #1225
sovereignstar
Pro Starter

Quote:
Thanks guys. Did not know about this tip guide.

Dufus.
Old 01-13-2006, 12:16 PM   #1226
Desnudo
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by WSUCougar
Okay.

Likes Ones and Twos (or Ones-Twos): This sounds to me like the soccer version of a give-and-go.

Doesn't dive into tackles: Tackles are less violent and thereby less prone to fouls?

Sets the tempo: I understand what this is saying, but I'd like to know more of what bearing it has in game terms.

1. That's correct, player 1 passes to player 2, runs past the defender, and player 2 passes the ball back to him.

2. Means he won't slide tackle. I think it can be taken two ways, less fouls, but also less likely to win the ball back.

3. Likes to try training ground tricks (step overs, etc.) in games. Cristiano Ronaldo is a good example.

4. To me it means someone in the midfield who controls distribution of the ball and dictates how quickly the team is moving the ball forward.
Desnudo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2006, 12:26 PM   #1227
scooter
High School Varsity

Well, let's give this a try. I haven't heard of some of these, but we can try to figure them out. Who knows, maybe Marc can step in and let us know what they really mean.

Quote:
I'm pretty sure that's what it means. I've never really heard it called that, but those folks across the pond have some strange sayings

Quote:
Less prone to fouls and less prone to red cards. I would call someone that dives into tackles (I've seen this one in the game) as reckless. It sounds like this player probably has a pretty good tackling rating.

Quote:
Ronaldinho. This guy is a flair player that enjoys doing tricks with the ball - stepovers, flicks, juggling (keepy-uppy), etc. The soccer world equivalent of the Sportcenter highlight reel.

Quote:
I've often wondered this too. I've heard announcers talk about someone being the engine-room of the team, or someone that drives the tempo. I'd like to know how that affects the game as well. I would assume that the team looks to that player to create opportunities for their teammates by passing the ball and playing solid defense, but what more is involved? I would also assume that this is probably a midfield player, also probably central.

I haven't played the game far enough to really tell what bearing these labels have on the game. I'm not sure if they are in addition to their attribute ratings or just a description of the ratings themselves (also giving a glimpse into some of their hidden ratings).

Edit: I type too slow.

Last edited by scooter : 01-13-2006 at 12:27 PM.
Old 01-13-2006, 12:42 PM   #1228
Cringer
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Dufus.

That's a given. Have you not noticed I have been getting less intelligent as the weeks go bye.

edit: there's a good example. I ask a question and put a period at the end. I shall leave it that way though.

Last edited by Cringer : 01-13-2006 at 12:43 PM.
Cringer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2006, 12:45 PM   #1229
FrogMan
Hattrick Moderator

Quote:
That's a given. Have you not noticed I have been getting less intelligent as the weeks go bye.

edit: there's a good example. I ask a question and put a period at the end. I shall leave it that way though.

then, you're the proof that the "intelligence" skill is one that can go down with time, if not in the game, at least in real life

FM
Old 01-13-2006, 12:54 PM   #1230
Cringer
Grizzled Veteran

Yes, that rating does go down.
Old 01-13-2006, 01:18 PM   #1231
WSUCougar
Rider Of Rohan

Good stuff, thanks for the input.

Quote:
I would also assume that this is probably a midfield player, also probably central.
My guy is definitely a center-middie.

Another one I recalled is:

Likes to run around the keeper (or something like that). I'm guessing that this is sort of like running the goalie in hockey - sort of an intimidation/disruption tactic?
Old 01-13-2006, 02:08 PM   #1232
Katon
College Benchwarmer

Nope. It's when the keeper comes out in a one-on-one to narrow the angle, and the striker faces a choice between shooting now, passing if there's a teammate nearby, or trying to dribble 'round the keeper.
Katon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2006, 02:13 PM   #1233
WSUCougar
Rider Of Rohan

Cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katon
It's when the keeper comes out in a one-on-one to narrow the angle, and the striker faces a choice between shooting now, passing if there's a teammate nearby, or trying to dribble 'round the keeper.
*sound of a lightbulb coming on over my head*
Old 01-13-2006, 02:50 PM   #1234
Godzilla Blitz
College Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marc Vaughan
To get a greater variety - easiest thing is to equalise the 'counts' used in the names, as there is a bias in game to the more common names.

Set all name counts to 0 and you'll find a level bias and more variety.

Humm. I must be looking in the wrong place for the names information. All I see is a "person" section in the editor, but I don't see anyplace where there is a count value for a name, so I'm starting to think I'm looking in the wrong place to start with.

Sorry to trouble you with this, but could you outline the path to the names' section after I get the editor open and the database loaded?
Old 01-13-2006, 03:06 PM   #1235
Koryo
n00b

"Sets the tempo" to me means that this player will dominate the speed of the game based on his pace attribute and not what you may have established in the team settings. These are typically the guys you would want to see running with the ball or doing forward runs if they have other skills that compliment this.

Guys with slower pace will pick be "compelled" to get moving so that they can support the teammate with the tempo.

You get someone with high pace, acceleration, and dribbling skill that also has this special, then you could really put pressure on opposing defenses.
Koryo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2006, 04:42 PM   #1236
sovereignstar
Pro Starter

Quote:
Humm. I must be looking in the wrong place for the names information. All I see is a "person" section in the editor, but I don't see anyplace where there is a count value for a name, so I'm starting to think I'm looking in the wrong place to start with.

Sorry to trouble you with this, but could you outline the path to the names' section after I get the editor open and the database loaded?

Yeah, I've got no idea as to what Marc is referring to either.
Old 01-14-2006, 10:54 PM   #1237
Blade6119
Coordinator

What does natural fitness mean...i see a great young wing back im salivating over, and physically has it all(pace, stamina, strength)...but he has a 5 in natural fitness....should this worry me?
It's always darkest just before it goes pitch black.
Demotivation
Sometimes the best solution to morale problems is just to fire all of the unhappy people.
http://www.despair.com/viewall.html
Blade6119 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2006, 10:59 PM   #1238
MikeVick7
College Benchwarmer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blade6119
What does natural fitness mean...i see a great young wing back im salivating over, and physically has it all(pace, stamina, strength)...but he has a 5 in natural fitness....should this worry me?
Natural Fitness is a player's ability to recover his condition between matches. So it may be wise to not go after him if his stamina is also low.

Last edited by MikeVick7 : 01-14-2006 at 11:01 PM.
MikeVick7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2006, 11:01 PM   #1239
Blade6119
Coordinator

he has 17 accel, 18 agil, 17 pace, 17 stam...so the stam can override the natural fitness?...hes 18, so i would love him if its not that big a deal
Demotivation
Sometimes the best solution to morale problems is just to fire all of the unhappy people.
Old 01-14-2006, 11:03 PM   #1240
MikeVick7
College Benchwarmer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blade6119
he has 17 accel, 18 agil, 17 pace, 17 stam...so the stam can override the natural fitness?...hes 18, so i would love him if its not that big a deal
I'd say that stamina would even things out enough. But I wouldn't be surprised if he never gets to 100% between matches.

Last edited by MikeVick7 : 01-14-2006 at 11:03 PM.
MikeVick7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2006, 11:03 PM   #1241
Blade6119
Coordinator

thanks for the help buddy!
Demotivation
Old 01-14-2006, 11:07 PM   #1242
Desnudo
Coordinator

Not to precisely contradict what MikeVick said, but you'll have a lot of trouble keeping a player with a 5 fit between matches.
Old 01-14-2006, 11:12 PM   #1243
MikeVick7
College Benchwarmer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Desnudo
Not to precisely contradict what MikeVick said, but you'll have a lot of trouble keeping a player with a 5 fit between matches.
If it was before the last patch I would say that you're definitely right, but with the new patch a player's condition is hardly ever a problem anymore. I think he'll be ok, he just won't ever recover to 100%.
Old 01-14-2006, 11:15 PM   #1244
Desnudo
Coordinator

I think you'll be fine if you have a 6-7 break, but a Sat/Sun and Wed schedule might prove overwhelming.
Old 01-15-2006, 08:22 AM   #1245
Marc Vaughan
SI Games

Quote:
Yeah, I've got no idea as to what Marc is referring to either.
'tis probably my own fault as I'm referrering to game internals and to be honest haven't checked if they're visible in the editor or not*.

If they aren't then add some more players into the game and that will have the desired effect.

*Micheal from SI makes the editor and to be honest its not something I play with myself (as I'm paranoid about finding out information on player potentials etc. and so avoid it like the plague ).

Last edited by Marc Vaughan : 01-15-2006 at 08:23 AM.
Old 01-15-2006, 11:33 AM   #1246
Sweed
College Benchwarmer

Taking advantage of the prefered foot?

Could someone give a little rundown on how you set up players to take advantage of which foot they prefer?

Are there generally accepted stategies when it comes to corner or free kick takers?

Thanks
Sweed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2006, 01:08 PM   #1247
Karim
College Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sweed
Could someone give a little rundown on how you set up players to take advantage of which foot they prefer?

Are there generally accepted stategies when it comes to corner or free kick takers?

Thanks
ML and DL have to be able to use their left foot while MR and DR have to be able to use their right foot. If you use a crossing game, then you'll probably want a SC on the left-side who can cross with his left foot (if you use a 4-4-2). I've found that foot proficiency doesn't matter too much for central players.

For corners, I look for players with:
Corners, Flair, Decisions

For free kicks, I look for players with:
Free Kicks, Flair, Long Shots, Decisions

On my Conference National squad, I don't have the luxury of multiple players for set pieces. I have one left-footed midfielder who takes all corners and free kicks.

If you want an out-swinging corner, you place a left-footed player on the left corner, and a right-footed player on the right-corner. Do the opposite for an in-swinging corner.

What I've found helped is when I actually ventured into the set piece instructions. Instead of just having players 'forward', I've given specific instructions to players with the best jumping/heading ability. And make sure to flood the box with players who have good 'off the ball' ratings so they can jump on rebounds.

Last edited by Karim : 01-15-2006 at 01:09 PM.
Karim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2006, 01:10 PM   #1248
RPI-Fan
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sweed

Thanks

This is purely my personal opinion from real soccer, and has nothing to do with experiences from FM.

For Corners:

If you have big, tall, relatively immobile guys as your main targets, you want an in-swinging corner. Meaning, a right-footer from the left side, or a left-footer from the right side.

If you have quicker, smaller guys who rely more on motion to make a play in the air, you want an out-swinging corner, or a left-footer from the left side, right-footer from the right side.

For Free Kicks:

If you want to encourage shooting, you want a right-footer from the left, or left-footer from the right.

If you want to encourage crossing/passing, you want a left-footer from the left, or a right-footer from the right.
Old 01-15-2006, 02:45 PM   #1249
Sweed
College Benchwarmer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Karim
ML and DL have to be able to use their left foot while MR and DR have to be able to use their right foot. If you use a crossing game, then you'll probably want a SC on the left-side who can cross with his left foot (if you use a 4-4-2). I've found that foot proficiency doesn't matter too much for central players.

For corners, I look for players with:
Corners, Flair, Decisions

For free kicks, I look for players with:
Free Kicks, Flair, Long Shots, Decisions

On my Conference National squad, I don't have the luxury of multiple players for set pieces. I have one left-footed midfielder who takes all corners and free kicks.

If you want an out-swinging corner, you place a left-footed player on the left corner, and a right-footed player on the right-corner. Do the opposite for an in-swinging corner.

What I've found helped is when I actually ventured into the set piece instructions. Instead of just having players 'forward', I've given specific instructions to players with the best jumping/heading ability. And make sure to flood the box with players who have good 'off the ball' ratings so they can jump on rebounds.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RPI-FAN
This is purely my personal opinion from real soccer, and has nothing to do with experiences from FM.

For Corners:

If you have big, tall, relatively immobile guys as your main targets, you want an in-swinging corner. Meaning, a right-footer from the left side, or a left-footer from the right side.

If you have quicker, smaller guys who rely more on motion to make a play in the air, you want an out-swinging corner, or a left-footer from the left side, right-footer from the right side.

For Free Kicks:

If you want to encourage shooting, you want a right-footer from the left, or left-footer from the right.

If you want to encourage crossing/passing, you want a left-footer from the left, or a right-footer from the right.

Thanks guys, printed out both posts, very helpful.
Sweed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2006, 06:26 PM   #1250
MikeVick7
College Benchwarmer

Ok, after 10 seasons of playing this game I finally coached my way into the EPL. So when I finally get up to the big time, I am a little confused by the new loan rules as they are different than what is listed from the Championship all the way down to the Conference.

When it says, "Maximum of five domestic based players allowed on loan in a season" and "Maximum of two domestic based players allowed on loan at one time," does this mean England players only or domestic as in players in the EU? I currently have two England players on a full season loans right now and whenever I try to loan another player, whether it be from England, Argentina, Spain or Italy...etc, the loan option is greyed out.

Is this correct? Shouldn't I be able to bring in a player on loan from Brazil or Argentina or some place like that? Also, I don't remember this being the loan rules for the EPL in last year's game. Is this a brand new rule?