Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Archives > FOFC Archive
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 02-09-2006, 10:12 AM   #1201
gottimd
Dearly Missed
(9/25/77-12/23/08)

Quote:
Originally Posted by NoMyths
Charlie as a violent pseudo-kidnapper of Sun?
Didn't Charlie say he wanted Locke to feel embarassed and powerless, and he saw that by going along with Sawyer this would be accomplished.

Quote:
With Sawyer behind it, even though he'd sailed away with the woman's husband, the same guy who helped save his life later?
Sawyer is a grifter/con man who cares for no one but himself. You are thinking as a "normal" person would.

Quote:
Jack saying "Does it matter?"
Just to show how Jack is pushing for an army. Shows how his character is quick to judge that the "Others" did this, and not think about it. Basically telling everyone who cares why she was attacked, the point is, is that she was and we need to defend ourselves now!

Quote:
to why Sun was attacked?
See above

Quote:
Locke NOT noticing that Charlie was following him (esp. if he was nervous about moving the guns), when he'd let Charlie follow him for an hour in an earlier episode and led him in circles?
Because, as you noted before, he let charlie follow him and led him in circles. This time Locke was not aware Charlie was following as Locke was more concerned about hiding the guns from what he thought was eminent danger. Little did locke know, in his rush to rehide/stash the arsenal of weapons, that he was being followed.
In memory of Gavin Anthony: 7/22/08-7/26/08
gottimd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2006, 10:34 AM   #1202
Cuckoo
College Starter

Quote:
I was actually quite disappointed in this episode, as most of the main players were acting against their characters. Charlie as a violent pseudo-kidnapper of Sun? With Sawyer behind it, even though he'd sailed away with the woman's husband, the same guy who helped save his life later? Jack saying "Does it matter?" to why Sun was attacked? Locke NOT noticing that Charlie was following him (esp. if he was nervous about moving the guns), when he'd let Charlie follow him for an hour in an earlier episode and led him in circles?

I understand that narratives rely on conflict and have to generate new and sometimes irrational conflict in order to thrive, but these felt like character missteps to me. I hope there is a solid payoff, but can't say I wasn't disappointed in the new turns.

I agree with you. Although I liked this episode much better than the last one, this kind of character inconsistency, almost irrational, has been present the past two episodes.
Old 02-09-2006, 10:36 AM   #1203
John Galt
Pro Starter

I agree with Cuckoo and Nomyths. To me, when the story has been survivors v. island, the characters seem natural and interesting. With the new survivors v. survivors story, the characters seem forced and silly. I certainly expect tensions and conflict, but the underlying freakiness of the island should be a much more unifying force than displayed in the last 2 episodes. And Charlie's bizarre turn in particular seemed a little strained in my mind (is there anything in his background that would indicate he would have the stomach and desire to kidnap a friend and hurt her as much as he did?).
Old 02-09-2006, 10:53 AM   #1204
gottimd
Dearly Missed
(9/25/77-12/23/08)

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Galt
And Charlie's bizarre turn in particular seemed a little strained in my mind (is there anything in his background that would indicate he would have the stomach and desire to kidnap a friend and hurt her as much as he did?).

In terms of hurting someone he recently met, what about that part of his backstory from season 1, where he was stealing from that rich girl he was dating, I think to feed his heroin habit. Although not kidnapping, I guess you could say if someone can steal from a friend/lover,etc and con them (essentially hurting them in another way that is not physical), pseudo kidnapping isn't too far out of the realm of possibilities for revenge.
Old 02-09-2006, 10:56 AM   #1205
John Galt
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by gottimd
In terms of hurting someone he recently met, what about that part of his backstory from season 1, where he was stealing from that rich girl he was dating, I think to feed his heroin habit. Although not kidnapping, I guess you could say if someone can steal from a friend/lover,etc and con them (essentially hurting them in another way that is not physical), pseudo kidnapping isn't too far out of the realm of possibilities for revenge.

I think you are trying wayyyyy too hard. Stealing to feed an addiction is VERY different than kidnappying/beating of a friend when completely sober for petty revenge, IMO.
Old 02-09-2006, 10:57 AM   #1206
Castlerock
High School Varsity

I agree that a lot of the characters have been acting "out of character". NoMyths is dead on.

Just a theory... could this be a symptom of the "madness" the French Lady spoke of?
Castlerock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2006, 10:59 AM   #1207
jbmagic
Pro Starter

Could it be that Charlie is back on drugs again for the way he is acting the last 2 episodes?
jbmagic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2006, 11:03 AM   #1208
John Galt
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbmagic
Could it be that Charlie is back on drugs again for the way he is acting the last 2 episodes?

Given he refused the statute with heroin in the last episode and there is no other known stash, I would say not.
Old 02-09-2006, 11:08 AM   #1209
gottimd
Dearly Missed
(9/25/77-12/23/08)

Quote:
I think you are trying wayyyyy too hard. Stealing to feed an addiction is VERY different than kidnappying/beating of a friend when completely sober for petty revenge, IMO.
I agree with you, I didn't say they are one in the same, I meant that he has demonstrated in his past that he can hurt people that he knows. Also, I wasn't sure the Sun mentioned he beat her, I guess I missed that part, but it sounded like she said a bag was put over her head and she was kicking and screaming (while being dragged), and got away. Is it possible, the Charlie didn't give her a few jabs to the forehead, that she suffered those injuries from being dragged on the ground?

Also, why do you call it petty revenge? He was embarassed and hurt, and seemed very pissed about it. Also being that they are on the island and there is no escape, he is only left to ponder that moment, which would probably infuriate anybody beyond forgiveness, making it more than just a petty revenge for someone.

Last edited by gottimd : 02-09-2006 at 11:11 AM.
Old 02-09-2006, 11:36 AM   #1210
gottimd
Dearly Missed
(9/25/77-12/23/08)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Castlerock
I agree that a lot of the characters have been acting "out of character". NoMyths is dead on.

Acting out of character? We really don't know that much about each character to assume they are acting the way they normally do. For instance, Sawyer, who yes, we knew was a grifter/con artist, no one thought he would be conning everyone on the island to be in control. I forget his animal analogy (Stripes on a horse or something), but maybe that is what everyone is doing. Acting a certain way to gain trust with the group, but in the end they will end up acting like who they truly are.

Basically my point is that we are assuming everyone is a certain type of character, and now they are beginning to act differently. Who is to say that from the beginning they haven't been acting like themselves, and will now start to do so?
Old 02-09-2006, 11:38 AM   #1211
rkmsuf
Head Coach

What a great show to be on. 80% of the cast has like 2 lines a week.

oh and I'm having withdrawls so.....

Walt!
Old 02-09-2006, 11:48 AM   #1212
NoMyths
Poet in Residence

Quote:
Basically my point is that we are assuming everyone is a certain type of character, and now they are beginning to act differently. Who is to say that from the beginning they haven't been acting like themselves, and will now start to do so?
I'm assuming nothing. I am speaking as an expert on narrative development.

There is still plenty of depth and surprise to be mined with each character. But the developments of last night's show were serious missteps, in my opinion. I'm not attacking the show...I'm attacking that script.
NoMyths is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2006, 12:09 PM   #1213
Toddzilla
Pro Starter

Did anyone notice that the music playing when Sayied hooked up the radio - "Moonlight Serenade" by Glen Miller - was the same song from that famous Twilight Zone episode? In the TZ, a guy in a nursing home had an old radio that broadcasted that song, but it was being broadcast from the 1940s. Everyone in the home thought the guy was crazy. Kinda neat for Hurley to make that TZ reference: " or from another time".

Classic!
Toddzilla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2006, 01:24 PM   #1214
timmynausea
College Starter

I don't think of it as character missteps. I think of it as us learning more about the characters and/or character development. Locke beat and shamed Charlie in front of everyone. Charlie has been a little weird in some of the backstories and now he is basically a complete outcast. He lost things that were really important to him in Claire and the baby. I don't think it's completely unreasonable that he would do this, knowing that Sun wasn't actually going to be seriously hurt.

It'd be worse if the show just pretended that what happened to Charlie last time was nothing and he would just go on exactly the same as before. I'd rather have character development that sometimes goes in irrational directions than have a sitcom type environment where the characters never change and you just plug a new situation into the show's "formula".
timmynausea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2006, 01:49 PM   #1215
NoMyths
Poet in Residence

Here's one way that I can see allowing the characters to act oddly: remember that "virus" that the French chick talked about, and everyone assumed was just craziness? I could see folks being affected that way. But it would still point to a specific reason for a change, rather than just needing to interject more inter-survivor conflict.
Old 02-09-2006, 02:18 PM   #1216
John Galt
Pro Starter

Quote:
Just a theory... could this be a symptom of the "madness" the French Lady spoke of?

I think Nomyths has you on ignore.
Old 02-09-2006, 02:21 PM   #1217
gottimd
Dearly Missed
(9/25/77-12/23/08)

I'm not sure if anyone has mentioned it...but what about the virus?
Old 02-09-2006, 02:28 PM   #1218
jbmagic
Pro Starter

will Michael ever come back?
jbmagic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2006, 03:05 PM   #1219
OldGiants
College Benchwarmer

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbmagic
will Michael ever come back?
Yes, in a two-man episode in which the dialogue consists solely of :

Michael [shouts]: WALT!!

Jin: Gun!

Repeated for 60 minuts, minus commercials.
"The case of Great Britain is the most astonishing in this matter of inequality of rights in world soccer championships. The way they explained it to me as a child, God is one but He's three: Father, Son and Holy Ghost. I could never understand it. And I still don't understand why Great Britain is one but she's four....while [others] continue to be no more than one despite the diverse nationalities that make them up." Eduardo Galeano, SOCCER IN SUN AND SHADOW
OldGiants is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2006, 03:19 PM   #1220
Castlerock
High School Varsity

Quote:
I think Nomyths has you on ignore.
What did I ever do to him?
Castlerock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2006, 03:23 PM   #1221
John Galt
Pro Starter

Quote:

First Rule of FOFC: Don't diss NoMyth's poetry.
Old 02-09-2006, 04:17 PM   #1222
Bearcat729
College Benchwarmer

Hmm something interesting from the preview.....

Yeah watch out there's a possible spoiler ahead

Okay so apparently in the preview last week they show the timer running down to zero. People on the The Fuselage.com noticed that the clock they show in the preview has 3 numbers while the actual clock in the Swan bunker has 5 numbers.
Bearcat729 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2006, 09:18 PM   #1223
mgadfly
High School Varsity

Quote:

Well first off, he didn't kidnap and beat her. In her explanation she said she had the bag put over her head and her hands tied. She started running and tripped and then couldn't remember what happened (something along those lines). I don't think it would be out of line for Charlie to tie her hands and put a bag on her head in order to get back at Locke. If he had beat her, it would be a little more difficult to believe (but not a lot since I really only know a very little about him--basically, that he is an okay guy as long as he gets what he wants, the girl, the baby, his heroin, etc... but he has been a pretty demanding and irritating character when he hasn't gotten what he wants--like an explanation about what is in the hatch, the peanut butter when Hurley was in charge of the food, etc...).

Plus, if Locke had done that to me, steal my girl and my baby (I know it isn't really his baby, but that isn't the way he sees it) I'd have kicked his ass somehow. Since Charlie is a pussy I don't see him passing up Sawyer's offer especially since Sun wasn't supposed to trip and hurt herself. And I'd want to kill a man if he stole my wife, so I don't think Charlie is being too petty considering who he is or has been made out to be.

The thing that bothered me the most was that Kate (the super criminal that the marshal had needed 5 guns when tracking her down) was so easily duped that she even suggested that Sawyer go tell Locke to move the guns.
mgadfly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2006, 09:29 PM   #1224
Rizon
Pro Starter

Did nobody catch the Glen Miller connection?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Suicane75 View Post
I don't think I'd stop even if I found a dick.
Rizon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2006, 10:01 PM   #1225
NoMyths
Poet in Residence

Quote:
Heh...missed your statement.

Quote:
First Rule of FOFC: Don't diss NoMyth's poetry.
Though this certainly still stands.
Old 02-09-2006, 10:06 PM   #1226
VPI97
Hokie, Hokie, Hokie, Hi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rizon
Did nobody catch the Glen Miller connection?
Yeah, I did.
VPI97 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2006, 08:34 AM   #1227
spleen1015
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by VPI97
Yeah, I did.

Care to explain?
spleen1015 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2006, 08:45 AM   #1228
gottimd
Dearly Missed
(9/25/77-12/23/08)

Quote:
Originally Posted by spleen1015
Care to explain?

Hurley on the beach and Sayid approaches...he shows Hurley the walkie-talkie and Sayid tells him not to get excited - it might not work...They get static, then Rousseau's message...THEN Glen Miller's "Moonlight Serenade"...it's so clear, Hurley thinks it's too clear and it's close by...Sayid says it could be bouncing from anywhere in the ionisphere and they just enjoy the music...
Old 02-10-2006, 08:48 AM   #1229
rkmsuf
Head Coach

More Libby, less Hobbit please.
Old 02-10-2006, 08:48 AM   #1230
spleen1015
Coordinator

Quote:
Hurley on the beach and Sayid approaches...he shows Hurley the walkie-talkie and Sayid tells him not to get excited - it might not work...They get static, then Rousseau's message...THEN Glen Miller's "Moonlight Serenade"...it's so clear, Hurley thinks it's too clear and it's close by...Sayid says it could be bouncing from anywhere in the ionisphere and they just enjoy the music...

When Sayid says it could be coming from anywhere, Hurley ends it with "Or any time..."

I caught that. I thought you guys were talking about more.
Old 02-10-2006, 08:49 AM   #1231
John Galt
Pro Starter

Quote:
Care to explain?

Well, Glen Miller was on the radio. . .
And we know Miller is the King of Beers . . .
And Swayer is the new King of the island . . .
And like Sawyer, Tom Sawyer had a rough childhood . . .
And Tom Sawyer was a character in a story by Mark Twain . . .
And Mark Twain once said "A round man cannot be expected to fit in a square hole right away. He must have time to modify his shape."

So, we know Hurley will get stuck in the entrance to the hatch in the next episode. It was obvious, really.
Old 02-10-2006, 08:50 AM   #1232
John Galt
Pro Starter

dola,

or it could be that Glen Miller's plane famously disappeared over the English Channel.
Old 02-10-2006, 08:51 AM   #1233
spleen1015
Coordinator

Quote:
Well, Glen Miller was on the radio. . .
And we know Miller is the King of Beers . . .
And Swayer is the new King of the island . . .
And like Sawyer, Tom Sawyer had a rough childhood . . .
And Tom Sawyer was a character in a story by Mark Twain . . .
And Mark Twain once said "A round man cannot be expected to fit in a square hole right away. He must have time to modify his shape."

So, we know Hurley will get stuck in the entrance to the hatch in the next episode. It was obvious, really.

That's brilliant.
Old 02-10-2006, 08:53 AM   #1234
VPI97
Hokie, Hokie, Hokie, Hi

Quote:
I caught that. I thought you guys were talking about more.
There is...Glenn Miller went 'lost' during WWII when his plane went down while flying from England to France late in the war (over the English Channel, I think). Neither any wreckage nor any bodies from that flight were ever recovered.

Edit - What Galt said...

Last edited by VPI97 : 02-10-2006 at 08:53 AM.
VPI97 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2006, 08:54 AM   #1235
spleen1015
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by VPI97
There is...Glenn Miller went 'lost' during WWII when his plane went down while flying from England to France late in the war (over the English Channel, I think). Neither any wreckage nor any bodies from that flight were ever recovered.

Edit - What Galt said...

I didn't know that. Thanks!
Old 02-10-2006, 11:37 AM   #1236
gottimd
Dearly Missed
(9/25/77-12/23/08)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bearcat729
Okay so apparently in the preview last week they show the timer running down to zero. People on the The Fuselage.com noticed that the clock they show in the preview has 3 numbers while the actual clock in the Swan bunker has 5 numbers.

Old 02-10-2006, 11:57 AM   #1237
Raiders Army
Coordinator

Maybe it's a different countdown?
Raiders Army is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2006, 11:58 AM   #1238
rkmsuf
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raiders Army
Maybe it's a different countdown?

Man you are quick.
Old 02-10-2006, 11:59 AM   #1239
John Galt
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by rkmsuf
Man you are quick.

Burn!
Old 02-10-2006, 12:48 PM   #1240
sovereignstar
Pro Starter

gottimd, maybe you could honor the wishes of guys who don't want anything to do with what they show in previews? Is this too hard to ask from guys?
sovereignstar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2006, 01:16 PM   #1241
Raiders Army
Coordinator

Quote:
Man you are quick.
They call me Fast Raiders Army in these parts.
Old 02-10-2006, 01:36 PM   #1242
gottimd
Dearly Missed
(9/25/77-12/23/08)

Quote:
Originally Posted by sovereignstar
gottimd, maybe you could honor the wishes of guys who don't want anything to do with what they show in previews? Is this too hard to ask from guys?
huh??? Someone else brought up the subject, all I did was post the pictures from what was shown on the previews. Did it really give away the ending or anything else bsides that it is a different clock? oooooooooh, can you solve the lost puzzle now?
Old 02-10-2006, 01:42 PM   #1243
rkmsuf
Head Coach

Quote:
huh??? Someone else brought up the subject, all I did was post the pictures from what was shown on the previews. Did it really give away the ending or anything else bsides that it is a different clock? oooooooooh, can you solve the lost puzzle now?

Raiders Army figured it out in a matter of seconds.
Old 02-10-2006, 01:56 PM   #1244
Raiders Army
Coordinator

Quote:
Raiders Army figured it out in a matter of seconds.
Whoa, whoa, whoa. Hold on there cowboy. It took me a good few minutes to figure out what the top pic was let alone the bottom pic.
Old 02-10-2006, 02:21 PM   #1245
Bearcat729
College Benchwarmer

Quote:

I actually avoided posting the picture for that reason. I didn't want people who aviod any and all possible spoilers to get upset. It's also why I put so much space in the post to give them a chance to ignore the post.
Bearcat729 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2006, 02:31 PM   #1246
sovereignstar
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bearcat729
I actually avoided posting the picture for that reason. I didn't want people who aviod any and all possible spoilers to get upset. It's also why I put so much space in the post to give them a chance to ignore the post.

Yeah, as you can see gottimd deleted the rest of your message in his quote.
Old 02-10-2006, 03:06 PM   #1247
gottimd
Dearly Missed
(9/25/77-12/23/08)

Quote:
Yeah, as you can see gottimd deleted the rest of your message in his quote.
Aw come on now sunshine, cheer up! That picture doesn't give away shit. I'm sure no one solved all the riddles from that picture. Wow, there are 2 different clocks, or could it be a dream? Who knows...either way that picture isn't a spoiler........we know there is a clock, how do you even know what the other picture is of, it could be a timer on an old oven timer or an old alarm clock?? It almost gives away as much as this one.....

Look, its Sawyer with a gun, but it isn't the rifle he had in the last episode....

Last edited by gottimd : 02-10-2006 at 03:07 PM.
Old 02-10-2006, 03:08 PM   #1248
rkmsuf
Head Coach

I'm eagerly awaiting Raiders Army's conclusions based on this.
Old 02-10-2006, 03:33 PM   #1249
sovereignstar
Pro Starter

Quote:
Aw come on now sunshine, cheer up! That picture doesn't give away shit. I'm sure no one solved all the riddles from that picture. Wow, there are 2 different clocks, or could it be a dream? Who knows...either way that picture isn't a spoiler........we know there is a clock, how do you even know what the other picture is of, it could be a timer on an old oven timer or an old alarm clock?? It almost gives away as much as this one.....

Look, its Sawyer with a gun, but it isn't the rifle he had in the last episode....

Rub it however you want. Some people want to go into the next week's episode knowing nothing. Sure, the picture doesn't mean shit, but you knowingly quoted Bearcat and got rid of the spoiler warning.
Old 02-10-2006, 03:39 PM   #1250
gottimd
Dearly Missed
(9/25/77-12/23/08)

Quote:
Rub it however you want. Some people want to go into the next week's episode knowing nothing. Sure, the picture doesn't mean shit, but you knowingly quoted Bearcat and got rid of the spoiler warning.
Okay, I just didnt see it as a spoiler since it was shown in the previews and ads for next week, and that it technically gives away nothing.

If it was a picture showing Jack killing Locke or something, than I could see it as having/needing a spoiler tag. This picture would just be like showing Locke on the beach during the day, then Locke at night in the jungle.