Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Main Forums > Off Topic
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 04-11-2012, 10:19 AM   #1201
timmynausea
College Starter

As far as number 1 on bug's list, my lady friend developed a theory that I think would make a lot of sense. It's not a true spoiler as it's speculation, but I will tag it anyway:

Spoiler
timmynausea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2012, 10:43 AM   #1202
GrantDawg
World Champion Mis-speller

Quote:
Originally Posted by timmynausea View Post
As far as number 1 on bug's list, my lady friend developed a theory that I think would make a lot of sense. It's not a true spoiler as it's speculation, but I will tag it anyway:

Spoiler

Wow. Interesting theory, and could be possible.

Last edited by GrantDawg : 04-11-2012 at 10:44 AM.
GrantDawg is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2012, 10:46 AM   #1203
Chief Rum
Hall Of Famer

Interesting, timmy. My only quibble...

Spoiler

I would rather be wrong...Than live in the shadows of your song...My mind is open wide...And now I'm ready to start...You're not sure...You open the door...And step out into the dark...Now I'm ready.
Chief Rum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2012, 10:48 AM   #1204
spleen1015
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by timmynausea View Post

Spoiler

That is a pretty good theory. I really, really like it.
spleen1015 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2012, 10:54 AM   #1205
Autumn
Head Coach

Spoiler

I thought we stopped with teh spoiler tags.

Last edited by Autumn : 04-11-2012 at 10:58 AM.
Autumn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2012, 10:57 AM   #1206
timmynausea
College Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chief Rum View Post
Interesting, timmy. My only quibble...

Spoiler

That's not a bad point.

Spoiler
timmynausea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2012, 11:24 AM   #1207
ISiddiqui
Hall Of Famer

Since the Tyrion part is all speculation (nothing happens in any of the future books to make it more or less likely - though the comment is made in Dance with Dragons) I won't spoiler tag this, but this seems to buttress the theory:

Joanna Lannister - A Wiki of Ice and Fire

"According to Barristan Selmy, Aerys lusted for Joanna Lannister, something that caused further friction between the King and his Hand. At the wedding of Tywin to Joanna, Aerys drunkenly japed about how it was a pity the First Night tradition was banned and took certain liberties in the bedding ritual when the men at the feast had to disrobe the bride."

Last edited by ISiddiqui : 04-11-2012 at 11:25 AM.
ISiddiqui is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2012, 11:50 AM   #1208
MrBug708
Head Coach

Spoiler
MrBug708 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2012, 12:09 PM   #1209
Autumn
Head Coach

I would hope that doesn't turn out to be the case with Tyrion. That would be stretching things too far, and I agree that it doesn't sit well with Tywin's character.

Spoiler
Old 04-11-2012, 12:13 PM   #1210
BrianD
Grizzled Veteran

I'm amazed at how I have gone from pretty seriously disliking these books through 2-3 to really loving them. There have been so many subtleties that I have missed, and so much pre-planning/foreshadowing throughout the series. I just finished a re-read of the whole series and still routinely get surprised by what I am finding to be "common theories".
BrianD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2012, 12:31 PM   #1211
Bad-example
College Starter

Not going to 'spoiler' a theory, but it seems like a pretty strong possibility that Jon's mind migrated to Ghost when he died. That should be a pit stop to Jon taking control of Stannis. Melisandre has been confused by her visions of both Stannis and Jon Snow, and Jon becoming Stannis would explain that and also really make him 'reborn'.
Bad-example is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2012, 12:35 PM   #1212
ISiddiqui
Hall Of Famer

I'd be sad of Jon took over Stannis, because I kind of like the character of Stannis better than Jon, to be honest.
Old 04-11-2012, 12:40 PM   #1213
Autumn
Head Coach

I can't see him taking over Stannis. I think Mel is just mistaken about Stannis. When she looks in her flames for AA, she sees Jon. Is there any suggestion in the text for her to be right about Stannis?

And bad-example, the reason to spoiler wouldn't be your theory, but the spoiler you give for waht happens in the book! I hope no one reads this thread if they haven't read ADoD, though.
Old 04-11-2012, 12:44 PM   #1214
Chief Rum
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by ISiddiqui View Post
I'd be sad of Jon took over Stannis, because I kind of like the character of Stannis better than Jon, to be honest.

Interesting thought #1: I think you are vastly in the minority on that, but to each their own...which led to...

Interesting thought #2: We could have a "Would You Rather..." bracket for ASOIAF, but re-word that to "Which Character Do You Prefer..."...which led to...

Interesting thought #3: Would such a bracket result in anything besides a Tyrion landslide victory?

I would rather be wrong...Than live in the shadows of your song...My mind is open wide...And now I'm ready to start...You're not sure...You open the door...And step out into the dark...Now I'm ready.

Last edited by Chief Rum : 04-11-2012 at 12:45 PM.
Chief Rum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2012, 12:48 PM   #1215
spleen1015
Coordinator

There's a spoiler warning in the thread title. If you read something you shouldn't, then it is on you.

I don't see Jon taking over Stannis' body. I think it is as simple as Melisandre resurrecting him just like we seen the red priest doing.
Old 04-11-2012, 12:49 PM   #1216
spleen1015
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chief Rum View Post
Interesting thought #1: I think you are vastly in the minority on that, but to each their own...which led to...

Interesting thought #2: We could have a "Would You Rather..." bracket for ASOIAF, but re-word that to "Which Character Do You Prefer..."...which led to...

Interesting thought #3: Would such a bracket result in anything besides a Tyrion landslide victory?

Yeah, a bracket like that is like the The Wire bracket that Grantland did. Omar was going to win before it even got started.

I'm sure there are lots of folks like me who's favorite character was Tyrion before the show and that was multiplied 10 fold after seeing him on the show.
Old 04-11-2012, 12:56 PM   #1217
ISiddiqui
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Autumn View Post
I can't see him taking over Stannis. I think Mel is just mistaken about Stannis. When she looks in her flames for AA, she sees Jon. Is there any suggestion in the text for her to be right about Stannis?

(edit: I think I read that wrong)

And I love looking over the ASOF wiki, because you find out stuff like this:

Rhaelle Targaryen - A Wiki of Ice and Fire

So Stannis is "blood of the dragon" through his grandmother... though I seriously doubt he is Azor Ahai reborn.

Last edited by ISiddiqui : 04-11-2012 at 01:15 PM.
Old 04-11-2012, 03:30 PM   #1218
DaddyTorgo
Hall Of Famer

As far as #1, I had totally forgotten this until I reread that page:

Spoiler
DaddyTorgo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2012, 09:11 PM   #1219
cschex
High School Varsity

As to the Joanna Lannister/Aerys connections that Selmy refers to, I have a crackpot theory that it isn't Tyrion who is Aerys', but instead the twins (it would make sense with the timing of the "bedding ritual". It would also lead a whole new perspective on Jaime killing Aerys.
cschex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2012, 07:36 AM   #1220
Jughead Spock
High School Varsity

Quote:
Originally Posted by WSUCougar View Post
The Red Wedding still ranks as the most pissed off I've ever been at a fiction book.

Totally late to the party here, but

BIG

RED

X.

Geezus. Then when the Arya chapter ended with
Spoiler
, I just about gave up. Still kinda pissed/bummed.
Jughead Spock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2012, 08:47 AM   #1221
JPhillips
Hall Of Famer

If you gave up after that Arya moment you may want to continue.
Old 05-18-2012, 09:03 AM   #1222
ISiddiqui
Hall Of Famer

I'd say so as well .

Btw, in leaked show news - apparently Edmure Tully and the Blackfish are being cast for next season!! Hooray!!
Old 05-18-2012, 09:05 AM   #1223
cschex
High School Varsity

Quote:
I'd say so as well .

Btw, in leaked show news - apparently Edmure Tully and the Blackfish are being cast for next season!! Hooray!!

Also, they are apparently soliciting for short (under 5 ft) adults for extras. I wonder if we are going to see cranogmen?
cschex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2012, 09:10 AM   #1224
ISiddiqui
Hall Of Famer

It seems like it... we knew Edmure had to be cast (otherwise how can you do the RW?), but the rest are gravy - considering that the show seems to veer hear and there from the books, & because just about every reader of the books I know loves the Blackfish.
Old 05-18-2012, 09:13 AM   #1225
Honolulu_Blue
Hockey Boy

Edmure is definitely a necessity. The Blackfish is definitely a fan favorite. Let's be honest, he's by far the coolest of all the Tullys. That said, a lot of his awesomeness is based on stuff that he would have already done - acting as Robb's chief scout and what not. Still, it'd be great to have him.
Steve Yzerman: 1,755 points in 1,514 regular season games. 185 points in 196 postseason games. A First-Team All-Star, Conn Smythe Trophy winner, Selke Trophy winner, Masterton Trophy winner, member of the Hockey Hall of Fame, Olympic gold medallist, and a three-time Stanley Cup Champion. Longest serving captain of one team in the history of the NHL (19 seasons).
Honolulu_Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2012, 09:26 AM   #1226
ISiddiqui
Hall Of Famer

Him swimming under the Water Gate rather than get captured was pretty badass.
Old 05-18-2012, 09:32 AM   #1227
Honolulu_Blue
Hockey Boy

Quote:
Him swimming under the Water Gate rather than get captured was pretty badass.

Most definitely. I really hope he shows back up again somewhere.

I really enjoyed that whole sequence. Jamie releasing Edmure so that he could go back and take Riverrun from the Blackfish - knowing that the Blackfish would never yield, but Edmure would totally to do so given they had his wife - was pure Tywin thinking.
Steve Yzerman: 1,755 points in 1,514 regular season games. 185 points in 196 postseason games. A First-Team All-Star, Conn Smythe Trophy winner, Selke Trophy winner, Masterton Trophy winner, member of the Hockey Hall of Fame, Olympic gold medallist, and a three-time Stanley Cup Champion. Longest serving captain of one team in the history of the NHL (19 seasons).
Old 05-18-2012, 09:56 AM   #1228
ISiddiqui
Hall Of Famer

Hey, maybe he'll turn up at Storm's End... enemy of his enemy?
Old 05-18-2012, 10:03 AM   #1229
Honolulu_Blue
Hockey Boy

Quote:
Hey, maybe he'll turn up at Storm's End... enemy of his enemy?

My memory is fading on this... I know Stanis took Storms End in "Clash of Kings", during the whole Edric Storm/Courtnay Penrose situation. But after he left it to attack Kings Landing, what happened to it?

I think the Lannisters/Tyrells took it back over no?

And at the end of "Dance", Aegon was taking the Gold Company over to take it back?

So, are you thinking the Blackfish would hook up with those guys?
Old 05-18-2012, 10:38 AM   #1230
ISiddiqui
Hall Of Famer

Apparently Aegon Targaryen is at Storm's End (based on preview chapters of the Winds of Winter).

So I think he may decide to link up to get rid of the Lannisters. Don't seem him going North to the blizzard that Stannis is in, or to the Iron Islands.

Though he may just end up with Lady Stoneheart and the late (many times over) Beric Dondarrion's companions.

Last edited by ISiddiqui : 05-18-2012 at 10:40 AM.
Old 05-18-2012, 12:15 PM   #1231
JAG
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Honolulu_Blue View Post
My memory is fading on this... I know Stanis took Storms End in "Clash of Kings", during the whole Edric Storm/Courtnay Penrose situation. But after he left it to attack Kings Landing, what happened to it?

I think the Lannisters/Tyrells took it back over no?

And at the end of "Dance", Aegon was taking the Gold Company over to take it back?

So, are you thinking the Blackfish would hook up with those guys?

Stannis has held Storm's End since Book 2. It's possible they mention who's holding it for him at some point but if so I can't renember who. Mace Tyrell went to retake it in AFFC, but gave up the siege to return to King's Landing, where we find him at the end of Dance.

I don't know where the Blackfish would go. He didn't really have anything other than the Tullies he seemed to care about, so you'd think maybe he'd hook up with some group that could try to rescue Edmure on his way to Casterly Rock. I don't know who would be agreeable to that that would have sufficient force and interest to help him to accomplish that.
JAG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2012, 12:19 AM   #1232
sabotai
General Manager

Was talking to a friend of mine about the books today and found out that I really have forgotten quite a lot of it. Time to start over from the beginning.
sabotai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2012, 09:16 AM   #1233
Autumn
Head Coach

Yeah this is a series that is definitely worth a reread. I read them so differently the second time through and saw so much that I was ignorant of the first time. It's fascinating. You realize that the tales people tell are actually the key to the whole thing.
Old 05-22-2012, 09:26 AM   #1234
Honolulu_Blue
Hockey Boy

I have read the first three books over at least 4-5 times and the fourth book 3-4 times. I pick up new things all of the time. I usually just listen to them on my iPod when doing chores, walking the dog or what not.
Old 06-29-2012, 10:22 AM   #1235
lordscarlet
Pro Starter

Hopefully this isn't a repost:

"...the better half of the Moores..." -cthomer5000
lordscarlet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2012, 07:36 PM   #1236
DaddyTorgo
Hall Of Famer

Last edited by DaddyTorgo : 09-04-2012 at 07:36 PM.
Old 09-04-2012, 09:09 PM   #1237
spleen1015
Coordinator

Dorne.... is bullshit.
Old 09-05-2012, 11:32 AM   #1238
saldana
Pro Starter

i guess i am pretty confused, but that may be due to me only being halfway through Dances, but all the speculation about Jon's parentage has been answered. One of the first chapters in Dances is Davos talking to the lord of Sisterton (i think), and the lord tells him the story of Eddard's bastard...Jon's mom was a fishermans daughter.
saldana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2012, 11:37 AM   #1239
Honolulu_Blue
Hockey Boy

Quote:
Originally Posted by saldana View Post
i guess i am pretty confused, but that may be due to me only being halfway through Dances, but all the speculation about Jon's parentage has been answered. One of the first chapters in Dances is Davos talking to the lord of Sisterton (i think), and the lord tells him the story of Eddard's bastard...Jon's mom was a fishermans daughter.

I think it's all speculation at this point. There are lots of rumors. Someone also said in "Storm of Swords" that Jon's mom was someone related to or near the Dayne's.

The strongest speculations has always been he's the son of Rhaeger and Lyanna. When Lyanna whisperes "Promise me, Ned..." She was making him promise her that he'd keep her son safe and that's why he declared Jon his bastard. Only way to keep him safe, despite the stain on his honor. Ned was shown, over and over again, that he'd let his precious honor get dragged through the mud to protect the people he loves. Of course, there is one person still alive who knows what happened when Ned found Lyanna, Howland Reed, and we've never met him.
Old 09-05-2012, 12:18 PM   #1240
DaddyTorgo
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by saldana View Post

How would the lord know conclusively? It's all just gossip and rumors that people are passing around - nobody knows the truth except a) the mother, b) the father, c) someone who witnessed the birth or the immediate aftermath.

If you buy the prevailing fan-theory then the mother and father are both dead, as is one of two people who witnessed the immediate aftermath of the birth and took the newborn from its mother's arms. So everybody is hanging their metaphorical hat on that second person being the source of a reveal.
Old 09-05-2012, 12:19 PM   #1241
DaddyTorgo
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Honolulu_Blue View Post
I think it's all speculation at this point. There are lots of rumors. Someone also said in "Storm of Swords" that Jon's mom was someone related to or near the Dayne's.

The strongest speculations has always been he's the son of Rhaeger and Lyanna. When Lyanna whisperes "Promise me, Ned..." She was making him promise her that he'd keep her son safe and that's why he declared Jon his bastard. Only way to keep him safe, despite the stain on his honor. Ned was shown, over and over again, that he'd let his precious honor get dragged through the mud to protect the people he loves. Of course, there is one person still alive who knows what happened when Ned found Lyanna, Howland Reed, and we've never met him.

Oh - clearly I didn't read through your post. I was trying to keep it more vague and not name names in my reply. Hahaha.
Old 10-12-2012, 08:27 PM   #1242
PilotMan
Head Coach

I finally finished Dance and now feel like I can safely read this thread. Despite the slowness of book 4 and the first 400 or so pages of Dance being terribly slow the book picked up and seemed like it was heading somewhere toward the end.

Like Steam?
Join the FOFC Steam group here: http://steamcommunity.com/groups/FOFConSteam

PilotMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2012, 12:16 AM   #1243
MrBug708
Head Coach

Is there any update in the next book?
MrBug708 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2012, 04:52 AM   #1244
JAG
Grizzled Veteran

It's only been a year and a few months since Dance was released, so we've still got a few years to go at least I would think. He hasn't provided an update other than saying he is working on it as far as I know
JAG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2012, 06:45 AM   #1245
PraetorianX
High School JV

Last I heard he was aiming for sometime in 2014.
PraetorianX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2012, 09:34 AM   #1246
Autumn
Head Coach

It certainly ended better than it started (DoD). I don't expect to be wowed by further books anymore, though, not like the first three. Everything there was so perfectly wove, and going back and reading it again just made you realized how well planned it was. Now I feel like he's just winging it.
Old 10-15-2012, 09:37 AM   #1247
spleen1015
Coordinator

I can't remember if I posted this here or not.

I was disappointed with the way DoD ended because you can't set it up that Tyrion is on his way to meet Dany and not have it happen in this book. I think it should have been the climax of this book.
Old 10-15-2012, 09:55 AM   #1248
Autumn
Head Coach

Climax? I htought it should have happened in the first 50 pages. I assumed that's what this book was going to be about! One after another reaching Dany. Not one after another slowly moving a bit closer to Dany.
Old 10-16-2012, 02:29 AM   #1249
Zinto
College Starter

I just finished the third book and I have to say I am completely addicted. The last chapter and the epilogue has me excited but I am not sure how excited I am about the next two books being split in half the way it is.
Zinto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2012, 02:37 AM   #1250
Vince, Pt. II
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Autumn View Post
Climax? I htought it should have happened in the first 50 pages. I assumed that's what this book was going to be about! One after another reaching Dany. Not one after another slowly moving a bit closer to Dany.

It did sort of have a Robert Jordan/Wheel of Time feel to it in this regard.
Vince, Pt. II is offline   Reply With Quote