Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Archives > FOFC Archive
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 06-04-2004, 12:53 PM   #1201
Simms
FOBL Commish

Some interesting info from the Fan 590 (Toronto Sports Talk), courtesty of Scott Taylor (of the Winnipeg Free Press) yesterday worth passing along....

1. Winnipeg has an ownership group in place, a new arena, and has had discussions with as many as 5 current teams about bringing a team back to Winnipeg. The city is vastly improved as a viable market since 10 years ago, and the return of the Jets is widely considered a mere formatlity at this point....not so much a question of if, but when. Quebec City is a significant possibility as well, but they have venue issues to deal with. Harold Baldwin is also working hard to return a franchise to Hartford. The consensus seems to be that the near future will see the league make a strong effort to move teams back into markets where people actually care about them (ie, northern U.S. and Canada). The only reason it's not happening already is because of the uncertainty regarding the future economic landscape...nobody's going to sell right now, but once everything's cleared up (whenever that is), things will likely happen quickly.

2. Taylor quoted, first-hand, one owner as saying their first offer to the players will involve a "cap" (or variation thereof) of $31 million. Should they reject it (which they will), they'll lock out the players. The owners' next offer will be $28 million. Following it's inevitable rejection, the next offer will be $25 million. The owners are collectively committed to this hard line (reportedly), and while there are no doubt a few owners who will start worrying after a period of time, Bettman only needs *8* votes of the 30 owners to maintain the lockout at any given time. The consensus is that he will have those 8 votes in his back pocket (ie, owners who will refuse to budge) for a significant length of time. Read into that what you will.

Last edited by Simms : 06-04-2004 at 12:53 PM.
Simms is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2004, 01:26 PM   #1202
Fidatelo
Pro Starter

Just a warning, Scott Taylor is an idiot and I wouldn't take his word as anything close to gospel. 6 months from now he could be writing an article stating there was never any chance of Winnipeg getting a team again and that he knew that owners would fold.

However, if he is even close to being right on these issues I'm the happiest person on this board right now (MikeVic could be tied)
"Breakfast? Breakfast schmekfast, look at the score for God's sake. It's only the second period and I'm winning 12-2. Breakfasts come and go, Rene, but Hartford, the Whale, they only beat Vancouver maybe once or twice in a lifetime."
Fidatelo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2004, 01:26 PM   #1203
Cards4ever
College Benchwarmer

Very interesting info Simms.

I'd like to see Winnipeg back in the NHL, it's a crying shame they lost the Jets to Phoenix.

Harold Baldwin? Stay away from that carpetbagger Hartford, he's always announced as a player, but here in Minnesota he ended up being the Minority owner for the North Stars and didn't help at all when we lost the team to Dallas.
Old 06-04-2004, 01:28 PM   #1204
Simms
FOBL Commish

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fidatelo
Just a warning, Scott Taylor is an idiot and I wouldn't take his word as anything close to gospel.

Winnipeg's answer to Al Strachan, then?
Old 06-04-2004, 01:35 PM   #1205
Karim
College Starter

I'd love to see the White Out return to the Jets or Brass Bonanza and the Whale or the Quebec/Montreal rivalry... sheer hatred there.
Karim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2004, 01:37 PM   #1206
Karim
College Starter

http://www.sptimes.com/2004/06/04/Hi...ne_to_Li.shtml
"I don't really see the point in it. It's too barbaric," she said. "The red team . . . who's the red team?" she asked a co-worker, who shrugged and giggled.

http://quote.bloomberg.com/apps/news...0&refer=canada
In Ecclestone's bar, three of the 50 televisions were tuned to see Tampa Bay tie the series 2-2 with a 1-0 win in Calgary. Twenty other sets were tuned to ESPN, which was showing the women's college softball national championship game between UCLA and the University of California-Berkeley.
Old 06-04-2004, 02:20 PM   #1207
Simms
FOBL Commish

Quote:
Originally Posted by Karim
http://www.sptimes.com/2004/06/04/Hi...ne_to_Li.shtml
"I don't really see the point in it. It's too barbaric," she said. "The red team . . . who's the red team?" she asked a co-worker, who shrugged and giggled.

http://quote.bloomberg.com/apps/news...0&refer=canada
In Ecclestone's bar, three of the 50 televisions were tuned to see Tampa Bay tie the series 2-2 with a 1-0 win in Calgary. Twenty other sets were tuned to ESPN, which was showing the women's college softball national championship game between UCLA and the University of California-Berkeley.

That first article seems to convey more of a gender bias than a regional one. Notice that all the women quoted gave implications that their husbands were perfectly rabid about the series.

Given the full context of the second story, it's actually a pretty cool article. But losing to college softball 20 TVs to 3 is somewhat disheartening....especially in a bar owned by a former player.
Old 06-04-2004, 02:40 PM   #1208
Karim
College Starter

I'm pretty sure you could have found a women's yoga class going on in Calgary during the game last night with women who didn't like hockey.... ok, maybe not.

Losing to women's softball sucks though...

Reports indicated that 60,000 were on the Red Mile last night...
Old 06-04-2004, 02:42 PM   #1209
bbor
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Simms
Winnipeg's answer to Al Strachan, then?

More likely closer to Damien Cox.

Now that I've cracked and made that admission, I wonder if I'm only a couple of steps away from wanting to tongue-kiss Jaromir Jagr and give Bobby Clarke a blowjob.
bbor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2004, 04:33 PM   #1210
Cards4ever
College Benchwarmer

``But we had enough Yankees that had moved here to make it work,'' Caldwell said.

Now, that I like!

I would like to see a Canadian quoted like this in the future concering Nascar:

"But, we had enough Rednecks that moved here to make it work," Lefluer said.

Old 06-04-2004, 04:38 PM   #1211
Karim
College Starter

Interestingly, auto racing in Canada is very similar to hockey in non-traditional markets - a small but die-hard following.
Old 06-04-2004, 04:53 PM   #1212
Cards4ever
College Benchwarmer

Well, then, I would start complaining to Nascar, asking for a track! If Atlanta can have a NHL team, then Calgary deserves a track!

Disclaimer: This is all in good fun, Personally, I think it's good for the sport to be in all major markets so it can grow and be enjoyed everywhere.
Old 06-04-2004, 06:17 PM   #1213
Karim
College Starter

Our current track is probably "ECHL" level, if that, and that's all we can handle. They get some decent crowds and the drivers come from many different places.
Old 06-04-2004, 11:08 PM   #1214
Maple Leafs
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cards4ever
Well, then, I would start complaining to Nascar, asking for a track! If Atlanta can have a NHL team, then Calgary deserves a track!
Dammit, Cards, I've had just about enough of your Canada/US rivalry crap in our Nascar threads.
Old 06-05-2004, 08:10 AM   #1215
sachmo71
The boy who cried Trout

I'm glad Cards is back.
sachmo71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2004, 08:41 AM   #1216
Cards4ever
College Benchwarmer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maple Leafs
Dammit, Cards, I've had just about enough of your Canada/US rivalry crap in our Nascar threads.

I is sorry

I'm glad we have hockey in the south, otherwise I would have never been able to strike up friendships with people like Satch.
Old 06-05-2004, 11:01 AM   #1217
bbor
Pro Starter

Are we going to game 7?

Or is this the last hockey game we see for a year

Now that I've cracked and made that admission, I wonder if I'm only a couple of steps away from wanting to tongue-kiss Jaromir Jagr and give Bobby Clarke a blowjob.
Old 06-05-2004, 12:09 PM   #1218
Karim
College Starter

I'm also glad Cards is back. I felt guilty when he left 'cause I was one of the more "vocal" people during that whole US/Canada hockey thing a while back. There was no harm intended though.

Don't forget the World Cup bbor...

This could be the greatest moment in Flames' history (underdog team winning it all) or it could be the start of one of the worst disasters (one game away only to lose Game 6 and 7).

Last edited by Karim : 06-05-2004 at 12:10 PM.
Old 06-05-2004, 12:20 PM   #1219
Karim
College Starter

Bob Probert in jail again.
http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/news_story.asp?ID=86404
Old 06-05-2004, 12:45 PM   #1220
sachmo71
The boy who cried Trout

Yikes. Poor Probert. "The Bad One" indeed.
sachmo71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2004, 12:49 PM   #1221
Karim
College Starter

Quote from Phil Jackson in the Ventura County Star:

"The one thing I hate is missing the hockey playoffs because of the basketball playoffs," he said. "It's alsmost as good a playoffs as the basketball is."

In this year's Finals, he said, "I'm kind of rooting for Calgary... I think Canadians deserve to have the Stanley cup back in Canada."
Old 06-05-2004, 01:01 PM   #1222
Cards4ever
College Benchwarmer

I think tonight is the night! Get ready Calgary, cause you are going to party!

bbor, don't you have hockey in the summer? The U of M has a model camp(future college players) in 2 weeks with a weeks worth of games, and then in July we have our U16 and U17 camps and games.

WC is in September, some games are going to be here in the Twin Cities, I have tickets for those!
Old 06-05-2004, 01:18 PM   #1223
Hurst2112
College Starter

Quote:
In this year's Finals, he said, "I'm kind of rooting for Calgary... I think Canadians deserve to have the Stanley cup back in Canada."

I wouldn't think that Calgary fans would want the cup just because they're the only Canadian team left. They obviously are the best team in the NHL this year. If they were from Uraguay, they would still deserve the Cup for the way they played this year.

Iginla= Conn Smyth winner. That's my guess anyway.
Hurst2112 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2004, 01:52 PM   #1224
bbor
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cards4ever
I think tonight is the night! Get ready Calgary, cause you are going to party!

bbor, don't you have hockey in the summer? The U of M has a model camp(future college players) in 2 weeks with a weeks worth of games, and then in July we have our U16 and U17 camps and games.

WC is in September, some games are going to be here in the Twin Cities, I have tickets for those!

I am too busy preparing for my season to go watch any games..this summer there is an under 17 russian team touring through Toronto for 7 games or so...i would'nt mind seeing some of that.

I keep the kids i coach off the ice until September,i believe in burnout at a young age so i hope they would enjoy playing other sports in the summer.

Not only that but after going 8 months straight of 15-20 hours a week of coaching the only ice i wanna see in the summer is in my drink

Old 06-05-2004, 07:01 PM   #1225
klayman
College Benchwarmer

Come on Flames! Lets get it done tonight!!!
klayman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2004, 08:13 PM   #1226
MikeVic
Head Coach

As much as I would like to see an NHL team back in Winnipeg, I don't think it'll happen unless they really do have some sort of salary cap of $20M or something like that. I don't see Winnipegers paying $80 for a ticket just to keep a team here.
MikeVic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2004, 11:58 PM   #1227
Cards4ever
College Benchwarmer

Quote:
Originally Posted by bbor
I am too busy preparing for my season to go watch any games..this summer there is an under 17 russian team touring through Toronto for 7 games or so...i would'nt mind seeing some of that.

I keep the kids i coach off the ice until September,i believe in burnout at a young age so i hope they would enjoy playing other sports in the summer.

Not only that but after going 8 months straight of 15-20 hours a week of coaching the only ice i wanna see in the summer is in my drink

I don't coach, but, I do skate with my 5yo daughter and she is off the skates too. We rollerblade once in awhile, but, that's about it.

What level do you coach at? Where at?
Old 06-06-2004, 12:17 AM   #1228
bbor
Pro Starter

I coach a 10 yo rep team just outside of Toronto.I love teaching kids the game but i hate the polotics involved.Unfortunatly you can't have 1 without the other

I love to rollerblade...i go at least 3 times a week...it is a great stress reliever.I have no kids to rollerblade with....yet

Old 06-06-2004, 12:47 AM   #1229
sterlingice
Hall Of Famer

Sorry to the Flames fans out there, but I was really jonesing for a game 7. This series is too good to end any sooner. I know I'll be glued to my tv Monday night.

SI

Janos: "Only America could produce an imbecile of your caliber!"
Freakazoid: "That's because we make lots of things better than other people!"

sterlingice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2004, 12:52 AM   #1230
Cards4ever
College Benchwarmer

I thought Calgary would win tonight, now I think the odds are against them, but, I'm still hoping they do it.
Old 06-06-2004, 12:53 AM   #1231
sterlingice
Hall Of Famer

I'm pulling for the Flames because I have no particular preference towards either team. However, one of our little circle of hockey people here in Kansas (not a lot of us) is from Calgary so we're all rooting for them for his sake.

SI

Old 06-06-2004, 01:56 AM   #1232
Karim
College Starter

Richards scores and Tampa wins...

No back-to-back wins all series...

Khabibulin wins after a loss...

First goal wins...

Flames can set a record with road victories if they win on Monday...

No team has won the cup with a losing record at home (Flames are 5-7)...

Iginla looks gassed...

Regehr left the game in a foot cast...

Kiprusoff looked bad tonight, fighting the puck...

It doesn't look good.
Old 06-06-2004, 03:19 AM   #1233
Karim
College Starter

Is this a goal? Apparently ABC had a better picture but I can't find it anywhere...
Old 06-06-2004, 11:06 AM   #1234
Maple Leafs
Coordinator

Quote:
Is this a goal?
Sure looks that way. You can see space between the puck and the line, and from that angle it's hard to imagine how the puck being in the air would influence anything.
Old 06-06-2004, 11:48 AM   #1235
Simms
FOBL Commish

Quote:
Sure looks that way. You can see space between the puck and the line, and from that angle it's hard to imagine how the puck being in the air would influence anything.

http://dynamic2.gamespy.com/~fof/for...4&postcount=56
Old 06-06-2004, 11:53 AM   #1236
Simms
FOBL Commish

Dola...

And even if the puck *is* over the line, that angle (I haven't seen any others) doesn't prove that it is conclusively...there's no way the refs could overturn that.

And fwiw, Sutter was asked about it after the game and was *very* quick to make it clear that he had no argument with the call (or lack thereof) whatsoever. He had seen the replays and agreed there was no conclusive evidence that the puck had gone in. Given his comments earlier this week, I can't imagine any circumstances under which he wouldn't at least take a passing shot at the refs if he really believed he had a case.

I'm pulling for Calgary as much as anybody on this board, but there's no way I can, in good conscience, insist that should have been a goal.
Old 06-06-2004, 12:54 PM   #1237
Cards4ever
College Benchwarmer

It's done and over with anyway, time to move on and win Game 7. Last nights 2nd period was awesome huh?! I'd love to see 3 periods of that on Monday.
Old 06-06-2004, 01:46 PM   #1238
Maple Leafs
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Simms
No, I understand the physics of it. I'm just looking at a play where the puck clearly hits the bottom of the goali'es pad along the ice and trying to figure out where all this "well, if the puck was three inches in the air" talk comes from.

As for Sutter, he's a smart guy. He's already going to get nailed by the league for his conspriacy talk, so he knows enough not to go to the well again. The games is done, so no point bashing the league and the officials right before a game seven.
Old 06-06-2004, 02:52 PM   #1239
Karim
College Starter

Even if Sutter thought it was a goal, he had to get his team focused on the next game. I heard Gelinas' voice when it was first brought to his attention by a reporter and you could just hear the anvil of disappointment come over him. That's what Sutter is trying to avoid.
Old 06-06-2004, 03:33 PM   #1240
Maple Leafs
Coordinator

Quote:
Even if Sutter thought it was a goal, he had to get his team focused on the next game. I heard Gelinas' voice when it was first brought to his attention by a reporter and you could just hear the anvil of disappointment come over him. That's what Sutter is trying to avoid.
Last night on his HNIC interview Gelinas actually said something to the effect of "to have a missed call cost you the Cup is very hard to swallow". I know what he meant, but the fact that he's even thinking like that is a bad sign for Calgary.
Old 06-07-2004, 04:37 PM   #1241
Maple Leafs
Coordinator

The Sens have apparently picked their new head coach, and it's.... Bryan Murray???

Apparently so, according to TSN. This despite weeks of reports that it was down to Francis, Quenneville and Acton. (Yet another excellent job by the crack roster of Ottawa sports reporters.)
Old 06-07-2004, 05:19 PM   #1242
bbor
Pro Starter

Quote:
The Sens have apparently picked their new head coach, and it's.... Bryan Murray???

Apparently so, according to TSN. This despite weeks of reports that it was down to Francis, Quenneville and Acton. (Yet another excellent job by the crack roster of Ottawa sports reporters.)

I almost fell out of my chair when i heard this.WTF are they thinking?

They have a Stanley cup worthy team and they hire a guy who has'nt coached in how many years?

Quennville was'nt good enough?....Tell you the truth i am surprised Quennville is still out there,is his health a problem?

Why did'nt Acton get this job as he was supposed too?

Old 06-07-2004, 06:45 PM   #1243
sterlingice
Hall Of Famer

From ESPN.com

7) Who will win Game 7?
50.8%Calgary Flames
49.2%Tampa Bay Lightning

Total Votes: 10,362

SI

Old 06-07-2004, 07:08 PM   #1244
Johnny93g
College Starter

Quote:

I cant wait to play them in next years playoffs.....Theres no way he's better then Martin
Johnny93g is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2004, 07:08 PM   #1245
Johnny93g
College Starter

Oh....and GO FLAMES
Johnny93g is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2004, 08:08 PM   #1246
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Let's go Lightning
JonInMiddleGA is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2004, 08:19 PM   #1247
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Interesting bit with the computer animation of the game 6 goal/no goal controversy.

I don't know if I believe the animation/simulation especially (even though it matches my own perception of the footage) but I thought it was interesting nonetheless.
JonInMiddleGA is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2004, 08:22 PM   #1248
MikeVic
Head Coach

Is it just me, or does it seem like players are losing their sticks a lot more today?
MikeVic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2004, 08:43 PM   #1249
Dr. Sak
Grizzled Veteran

Damn you Bobby Clarke for trading Ruslan Fedotenko
Dr. Sak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2004, 09:02 PM   #1250
Philliesfan980
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by bsak16
Damn you Bobby Clarke for trading Ruslan Fedotenko