Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Archives > FOFC Archive
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 06-24-2006, 12:58 PM   #1201
DaddyTorgo
Hall Of Famer

looks like what Gary said (back a page) has totally stuck a fork in this game for me too. Great idea, horrendous EA execution (par for the course).
DaddyTorgo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2006, 01:02 PM   #1202
dbd1963
High School JV

I am having a blast. It was super frustrating to watch Leinart spiral down toward 50, but when he finally hit Joe Horn on a long pass, his actual burst back up to 74. If I had been a smarter coach, I'd have told him to look for Horn from the start, and we might have had a chance.

There is something that I think is going to be hard to get past, though, and that is, your influence with the guys you want to motivate depends on your coach rating in that skill. I went defense, and I can't get Leinart to motivate no matter what I tell him. But my defense plays awesome. We only gave up 13 points, and the 7 of those were from 2 yards out. Leinart was responsible for 21 points to the other side.. so I guess the interceptions could be toned down a *little* bit.. He is a rookie though.

Anyway, now that I know the deal, I know to tell Leinart to focus on Horn. He is always ready for the games, even when the rest of the team looks flat..

It's fun for me anyway. I have enjoyed all the little things I had to do and I feel like my team is doing on the field what I prepared them to do. (And not doing what I didn't prepare them to do!)

I only wish you could squeeze in more practice when you know you need it. Cancel some dang meetings! But you can't. Your coordinator will suggest it, but you don't have the free time to give away for it in pre-season. Maybe you do during the season. I don't know how you come off a Monday night ready for some football..
dbd1963 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2006, 02:11 PM   #1203
heybrad
Norm!!!

Just got it in the mail from Gamefly.
heybrad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2006, 02:15 PM   #1204
yabanci
College Benchwarmer

Quote:
Originally Posted by datdudebob
hey where can i download this game i want to how do i get it on ea downloader or do i do better just getting it at the store 4 the pc version instead of downloading it

try this link
yabanci is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2006, 04:17 PM   #1205
Raiders Army
Coordinator

We finally moved into our house and I got internet today. I picked up Head Coach on Wednesday this week, so I've had a quite a bit of time playing it without seeing what others see. Here are my impressions:

At first, it seemed like it was work instead of fun to get to the draft and games. After figuring out a bunch of things (like you can only sign players during certain times, you can swap out practice times for other things, etc.), I found that it was fun, albeit extremely easy. Of course I started out with the Raiders and I was able to pick up Kyle Turley to start as my RT and moved Robert Gallery to LT, Barry Sims to LG, and Jake Grove to C. Frustratingly, I couldn't do that all at once. Each position move was an action, so I could only move two guys during one office period. The other weird thing was that I couldn't switch a player's position if it left the position with too few players. That was weird. Anyhow, I got to the draft and because I had a full roster at the time (3 QBs, etc.) I just simmed to the next period. I found that I did not sign any of my draft picks! Unfortunately I had the autosave on so I had to re-start my career.

It took me about 3 hours to get to the draft and then another hour to get to the preseason games. Once I got to the preseason games, I found that a big issue is that I absolutely need to play my starters all game. The second game I played Vince Young (whom I drafted) for two series and he was 4 for 5 with a TD to Randy Moss. I took him out, but after the game his ratings dropped from 85 to 64! I could only conclude that because he didn't have a full game's worth of good stats his ratings dropped.

Anyhow, that wasn't a huge issue since you can always boost their ratings with 1 on 1 practice. I just read what Gary said about your coaches trust dropping if you don't take their advice. I look at it as being maybe a touch realistic, since obviously every coach could play favorites, doesn't "rate" their position group well enough, etc. If it were easy to build trust in the game, then it loses a little bit of realism.

For the most part, I am enjoying this game immensely. Then again, I also enjoyed the other Bill Cowher game, Total Control Football, immensely as well. There are some things that I would fix other than the quarter length and interceptions:

1. I understand they made this game for the consoles, but damn. Why have a scrollbar if you can't use it? The arrows are the only way to go up and down. That being said, I have also found that the keyboard is the easiest way to navigate through the menus.

2. I need to see player names, not numbers. In the roster screens, everyone is their jersey number instead of their name. So when I'm looking to trade for Michael Huff, it's about twice as long trying to look for him.

3. Players should be fully editable. If I don't think Lendale White should be #42, I should be able to change his number. This is a minor annoyance.

4. If you don't use the keyboard, this game is even more clicky than FOF if you can imagine that.

All in all, I'm having a good time playing the game. I think it has enormous potential and even with the bugs, I would recommend this game to anyone.
Raiders Army is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2006, 04:25 PM   #1206
Darkiller
FOF2 Guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by yabanci
try this link

lol
- Chairman of the IHOF Hall of Fame
- Athletic Director of the Brigham Young Cougars in TCY
FOF Legend: Hall of Fame QB Brock Sheriff #5, one of the most popular player in Front Office Football history.
Darkiller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2006, 05:05 PM   #1207
Darkiller
FOF2 Guy

Does anyone know how the downloadable version of this game works ? (aka: what "licence system" does it use). Elicence ??

I am scared to death that it uses Elicences and that it might mess up with my currently installed FOF & TCY games....(I have had that happen already a bunch of times when installing other dl games which used Elicence).
- Chairman of the IHOF Hall of Fame
- Athletic Director of the Brigham Young Cougars in TCY
FOF Legend: Hall of Fame QB Brock Sheriff #5, one of the most popular player in Front Office Football history.
Darkiller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2006, 05:34 PM   #1208
Eaglesfan27
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darkiller
Does anyone know how the downloadable version of this game works ? (aka: what "licence system" does it use). Elicence ??

I am scared to death that it uses Elicences and that it might mess up with my currently installed FOF & TCY games....(I have had that happen already a bunch of times when installing other dl games which used Elicence).

I haven't seen that info anywhere. However, given the F-up that delayed the release, I'm willing to bet money that it is Digital River.
Eaglesfan27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2006, 05:35 PM   #1209
Barkeep49
Coordinator

Any progress on the interception front?
Barkeep49 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2006, 05:38 PM   #1210
Eaglesfan27
Hall Of Famer

Cwilloughby posted early this morning that he should have a program done by tonight that will allow you to modify quarter length, accelerated clock, and the interception slider for both CPU and Human.
Old 06-24-2006, 05:38 PM   #1211
RPI-Fan
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barkeep49
Any progress on the interception front?

cwilloughby is graciously writing a utility that will unlock the human & CPU interception sliders (as well as quarter length).

He said it should be realized in the not-distant future.
Old 06-24-2006, 05:46 PM   #1212
MizzouRah
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eaglesfan27
Cwilloughby posted early this morning that he should have a program done by tonight that will allow you to modify quarter length, accelerated clock, and the interception slider for both CPU and Human.

Wow, just got home from vacation and this is GREAT news. If the onfield stuff can be fixed, I just might see what this game is about. Good luck Cwilloughby!
MizzouRah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2006, 05:54 PM   #1213
Eaglesfan27
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by MizzouRah
Wow, just got home from vacation and this is GREAT news. If the onfield stuff can be fixed, I just might see what this game is about. Good luck Cwilloughby!

Yep. There will still be some flaws with this game even after Cwilloughby fixes these issues, but I think for me this will be a fun game that will be worth the purchase price if the interceptions and quarter length are fixed.

Last edited by Eaglesfan27 : 06-24-2006 at 05:55 PM.
Old 06-24-2006, 05:56 PM   #1214
MizzouRah
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Yep. There will still be some flaws with this game even after Cwilloughby fixes these issues, but I think for me this will be a fun game that will be worth the purchase price if the interceptions and quarter length are fixed.

Yeah, at least a break from the text sims I've been playing a ton of lately.
MizzouRah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2006, 05:59 PM   #1215
rexallllsc
Banned

Quote:

How is this possible? Is all the MAdden stuff really right in there, just not accessible for us? What the heck is wrong with EA?
rexallllsc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2006, 06:01 PM   #1216
RPI-Fan
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by rexallllsc
How is this possible? Is all the MAdden stuff really right in there, just not accessible for us? What the heck is wrong with EA?

Yes, from what he said it's just a matter of unlocking sliders in some fashion.

My only guess as to why EA released it this way is that EA will say since you're the head coach, you should have less control over the game settings compared to Madden where it's designed for you to play however you want to.

I'm not saying it's smart or that I agree with it but it's the only thing that I think they could be thinking.
Old 06-24-2006, 06:03 PM   #1217
dbd1963
High School JV

Ugh, after the preseason is over I have three practices for the Thursday Night game.

Sheiza, what am I supposed to do?

That's the fun part. It's not so fun that Leinart heaved 7 INTs last game. We'd have won if he had kept that down to a barely reasonable FOUR.

One thing I noticed though, and others should verify -- at least three of those INTs came from a tip into the hands of a guy who, IRL, would't have been able to pull that off most of the time. Are an inordinate amount of tipped balls being caught by the defenders?

The ball does bounce around a lot -- it might not be something that you can fix with a simple tweak, or DBs will never interecept. It should have been coded somehow that tipped balls are harder to catch. They really are harder to catch.
Old 06-24-2006, 06:03 PM   #1218
Eaglesfan27
Hall Of Famer

Yeah, all of the Madden stuff is in there. I was reading on another board (OS) that some guy has even found some code from superstar mode and owner mode in some data base such as setting the price of hotdogs. Of course, that makes you think they used most of Madden's code as a base despite saying this was 75% new coding. However, I'm just glad the sliders are still in and hopefully will cut down on the terrible interception rate that I'm seeing in my career.
Old 06-24-2006, 06:11 PM   #1219
stevew
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gary Gorski
I'm surprised that there is as much positive talk about this game in this thread as there is - I picked it up yesterday and after 9 hours of game play I've actually got through the first exhibition game and to me HC is just a great idea with terrible execution. The things that annoy me far outweigh the things I like.
*snip*

So, basically what you're saying here is that you will learn from the mistakes, and learn how to program 3D and create us a solid 3d NBA GM game in about 3 years

Pretty please?
stevew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2006, 06:15 PM   #1220
Pumpy Tudors
Bounty Hunter

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevew
So, basically what you're saying here is that you will learn from the mistakes, and learn how to program 3D and create us a solid 3d NBA GM game in about 3 years

Pretty please?
Please stop causing problems.
Old 06-24-2006, 06:26 PM   #1221
stevew
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pumpy Tudors
Old 06-24-2006, 06:29 PM   #1222
Super Ugly
High School JV

Quote:

I'm pretty sure the download is for North American customers only.
Super Ugly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2006, 06:33 PM   #1223
hawk4669
High School JV

Quote:
Originally Posted by dbd1963
Ugh, after the preseason is over I have three practices for the Thursday Night game.

Sheiza, what am I supposed to do?

That's the fun part. It's not so fun that Leinart heaved 7 INTs last game. We'd have won if he had kept that down to a barely reasonable FOUR.

One thing I noticed though, and others should verify -- at least three of those INTs came from a tip into the hands of a guy who, IRL, would't have been able to pull that off most of the time. Are an inordinate amount of tipped balls being caught by the defenders?

The ball does bounce around a lot -- it might not be something that you can fix with a simple tweak, or DBs will never interecept. It should have been coded somehow that tipped balls are harder to catch. They really are harder to catch.

I'm into the 4th week of regular season, and have had no tipped ball picks.

I'm also lucky in the respect that so far, the most amount of INT's I've seen in a game is four (last week when my team barely edged Carolina)....and that was just one occurrance.

Just my personal experience...not saying that it isn't a problem.

Cheers!

www.hbfire.org
hawk4669 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2006, 06:38 PM   #1224
dbd1963
High School JV

Maybe it's a problem that will only affect rookies and bad QBs. That wouldn't be so bad.

Come to think of it, we only picked off Manning once.
Old 06-24-2006, 06:42 PM   #1225
Emiliano
College Prospect

Quote:
Originally Posted by Super Ugly
I'm pretty sure the download is for North American customers only.
Yep, US only. Good marketing, uh?
Old 06-24-2006, 06:43 PM   #1226
stevew
Hall Of Famer

Sigh, i got a 15 dollar EA coupon code, but I can't use it on this game cause of the free shipping code .
Old 06-24-2006, 06:45 PM   #1227
stevew
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Emiliano
Yep, US only. Good marketing, uh?

https://account.ea.com/commerce/prod...en_GB&curr=GBP

England

https://account.ea.com/commerce/prod...le=de&curr=EUR

germany
Old 06-24-2006, 06:59 PM   #1228
Eaglesfan27
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Maybe it's a problem that will only affect rookies and bad QBs. That wouldn't be so bad.

Come to think of it, we only picked off Manning once.

I've been picked off 3 times in a game with McNabb. I know that you can knock McNabb, but there are plenty of people who report that going against Brady or Peyton Manning or even using them, they are frequently seeing Brady and Manning with 3 or more picks a game.
Old 06-24-2006, 07:06 PM   #1229
stevew
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
I've been picked off 3 times in a game with McNabb. I know that you can knock McNabb, but there are plenty of people who report that going against Brady or Peyton Manning or even using them, they are frequently seeing Brady and Manning with 3 or more picks a game.

I'm hopeful that things like this are just caused by user failure(going to the well once too often), but it's really hard to say. If Manning was repeatedly told to throw downfield on every play, I bet he would easily have 3 picks a game, especially if he was trying to force the ball into a zone.
Old 06-24-2006, 07:08 PM   #1230
Emiliano
College Prospect

Yeah, I noticed, but didn't even tried. Instead, I actually tried right now and it looks like we can buy whichever version we want, even the US one. I'm not 100% sure though, because I only logged in with my EA account and I didn't buy anything, but when I get to choose my country Italy was in the list, so I guess it's no problem.

Anyway, I'm still holding off to buy this game. First, I have no money to spend at the moment, and second, I wanna see if something can be really done to fix this game. Also, NCAA 07 is available on pre-order at my favourite on-line store, so...
Old 06-24-2006, 10:22 PM   #1231
Coop
High School JV

another question

is it possible to make the game windowed like the demo? Tried all of the video settings(very tedious) and couldnt find it.
Old 06-24-2006, 10:46 PM   #1232
NYURDRMS
n00b

Another thought on the interceptions. After my last game of 6 ints with 4 going for 6 the other way, I decided to really work on my running game this week before the game.

As you could imagine this helped tremendously for my passing game, not leaning on it. However I did also try to take my time at the line, instead of quickly snapping each time. Seems the QB was much more accurate in his throws and finished with 291 yards, 4 TDs, and 0 INTS. Not sure if this really made a difference, but I did notice if you wait, you can pick up blitzes better. Not sure if the game is that smart or not, but worth a shot.

The other side of the coin is I could have been playing a really bad D also.

To tired to try another game tonight with this but thought I would post to see if anybody else has the same success.

USFL-St. Louis Scorpions
WOOF-Raleigh Recalcitrants
FFL-Seattle Seahawks
NYURDRMS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2006, 10:55 PM   #1233
dbd1963
High School JV

Found a bug -- I set my QB to "pump fake" in practice, set for "all game". When the game came, I couldn't turn pump fake off. I had set it that way only because I wanted to see how pump fake worked in practice, didn't realize I was making a commitment. Got sacked about a half dozen times.. Nothing I did would get the QB to come off the pump fake.
Old 06-24-2006, 11:44 PM   #1234
KJDelaney
High School JV

2 Things...

Is there a patch out? I heard of one but nothing from EA?

Also, does anyone have any issues with crashing? While I am in a game, it crashed both times to the desktop?
KJDelaney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2006, 12:02 AM   #1235
Eaglesfan27
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by KJDelaney
2 Things...

Is there a patch out? I heard of one but nothing from EA?

Also, does anyone have any issues with crashing? While I am in a game, it crashed both times to the desktop?

There is a patch on EA's servers, but all it fixes is a MP incompatibility between the download version of the game and the boxed set.

I've never had any crashes in 12 plus hours of playing.
Old 06-25-2006, 12:50 AM   #1236
Adamski47
High School JV

Quote:
Yeah, all of the Madden stuff is in there. I was reading on another board (OS) that some guy has even found some code from superstar mode and owner mode in some data base such as setting the price of hotdogs. Of course, that makes you think they used most of Madden's code as a base despite saying this was 75% new coding. However, I'm just glad the sliders are still in and hopefully will cut down on the terrible interception rate that I'm seeing in my career.

If this was a port from Madden and all of this stuff is simply turned off, and that even if it is listed (Superstar Mode for example) it is still not usable, what makes us think that the sliders will actually change when we change the setting?

Is anyone else thinking that these sliders may not have any bearing at all on the gameplay? We may be able to adjust them but they may just be phantom settings and actually do nothing at all.
Adamski47 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2006, 12:52 AM   #1237
jbmagic
Pro Starter

Eaglesfan27

When you get a chance, can you post the sim stats for a season.

Are they realistic?

thanks
jbmagic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2006, 01:03 AM   #1238
klayman
College Benchwarmer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adamski47
If this was a port from Madden and all of this stuff is simply turned off, and that even if it is listed (Superstar Mode for example) it is still not usable, what makes us think that the sliders will actually change when we change the setting?

Is anyone else thinking that these sliders may not have any bearing at all on the gameplay? We may be able to adjust them but they may just be phantom settings and actually do nothing at all.

Well, from the screenshot, it clearly shows the time clock at 9 mins.
klayman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2006, 01:09 AM   #1239
SirFozzie
Hall Of Famer

yeah, but someone posted one right after that showing it as 8, and explained that he just photoshopped it.. looked the same.

I'm hoping but I'm not ready to believe just yet
Old 06-25-2006, 01:11 AM   #1240
klayman
College Benchwarmer

Quote:
Originally Posted by SirFozzie
yeah, but someone posted one right after that showing it as 8, and explained that he just photoshopped it.. looked the same.

Aw...crap. Don't tell me that!
klayman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2006, 01:15 AM   #1241
Eaglesfan27
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbmagic
Eaglesfan27

When you get a chance, can you post the sim stats for a season.

Are they realistic?

thanks

I'm not simming ahead at this time. However, someone on another board posted some simmed stats and they looked fairly good, although receptions were a bit low.
Old 06-25-2006, 01:15 AM   #1242
Eaglesfan27
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by SirFozzie

I see no reason for Cwilloughby to do that.
Old 06-25-2006, 01:16 AM   #1243
Eaglesfan27
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adamski47

No. See post above. I believe Cwilloughby that he has already changed the quarter length. If that works, I think the other sliders will work. There is a big difference between having some vestigial Superstar code in the game and a complete slider set.
Old 06-25-2006, 01:49 AM   #1244
SirFozzie
Hall Of Famer

Ok.. just to show..

(this is Cwilloughby's screen

here's Skyboxer's..fake

Again, not insinuating, just saying let's not get our hopes up until we have it in our hands
Old 06-25-2006, 01:51 AM   #1245
DaddyTorgo
Hall Of Famer

yeah but what would the incentive for faking it be?
DaddyTorgo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2006, 02:02 AM   #1246
Eaglesfan27
Hall Of Famer

I can understand Skyboxer's skepticism (sp?) since he isn't a regular at any of the boards where Cwill is at, but Cwilloughby has been here for a few years and has never stirred up any shit that I can remember. There is just no reason to doubt him, in my mind.

Last edited by Eaglesfan27 : 06-25-2006 at 02:28 AM.
Old 06-25-2006, 02:11 AM   #1247
dbd1963
High School JV

Ok Brett Favre just heaved 7 interceptions. It's strange that number keeps coming up. Must have the INTs toned down or the gameday part isn't any fun. I don't want to win 59 - 10 with three INTs returned for TDs ever again.

It's too easy for the DBs to score the TDs. Jumping an out is one thing, but I had guys dodging and weaving through traffic on their way.. I even had a MLB almost score on one of them.
Old 06-25-2006, 02:27 AM   #1248
Eaglesfan27
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Ok Brett Favre just heaved 7 interceptions. It's strange that number keeps coming up. Must have the INTs toned down or the gameday part isn't any fun. I don't want to win 59 - 10 with three INTs returned for TDs ever again.

It's too easy for the DBs to score the TDs. Jumping an out is one thing, but I had guys dodging and weaving through traffic on their way.. I even had a MLB almost score on one of them.

Yeah, that is a problem. I've had about half of the interceptions our DB's made go all the way back for a TD including one in which Dawkins dodged 4 or 5 tacklers.
Old 06-25-2006, 02:33 AM   #1249
dervack
College Prospect

Quote:
Ok Brett Favre just heaved 7 interceptions.
Did you see him play last year? Sounds realistic to me.
dervack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2006, 03:31 AM   #1250
cwilloughby
Mascot

Allright...

Enough with the fake rumors :P.

Here is the first version of the setting application. Unzip the file and run the executable. Click Load and find your career file. Then edit to your delight. When done click Save. The program automatically creates a backup of the original when you save, it can be found as Career[#].bak in the appropriate career folder. As this is a 3rd party program that modifies your career files, use it at your own risk. While it is still in its infancy, I recomend keeping your own backups of everything before you let this little guy have his way with it.

At this point, you can set the quarter length, and sliders which affect the exhibition and career games for the career you edit. I didn't get a chance to test the sliders enough to know if there is a difference or not. If these sliders don't seem to work, there is at least one more set that I can try within the data file (go EA storing multiple copies of the same data in the save file).

Along the same lines, I couldn't get accelerated clock to work yet. It seems that either: A) EA has hardcoded this as disabled, which would make sense with all of the coach in between play crap, or B) I'm changing it in the wrong place (same possibility as the sliders above).

It would be nice if a few of you could test different slider settings to see if you notice a difference. Some of you have played the game far more than me, and would probably notice a difference. In the mean time, I'll continue testing and trying to track down the true location of the sliders (if currently wrong), and the possibility of making the accelerated clock work.

Enjoy!
Chris W.
cwilloughby is offline   Reply With Quote