Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Main Forums > Off Topic
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 11-12-2023, 10:11 PM   #1201
Atocep
Coordinator

Looking at the primetime schedule and there are some really bad games coming up. We have the Pats playing 3 straight games in primetime, the Bears vs Vikes, the Jets and Giants games I mentioned above, Packers vs Vikes, and the Rams vs Saints.
Atocep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2023, 02:00 AM   #1202
CrimsonFox
Head Coach

That literal walkin touchdown by Minn Hamilton made me laugh
CrimsonFox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2023, 02:02 AM   #1203
CrimsonFox
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ksyrup View Post
What the hell did I just watch? Pats pull Jones for the final drive, fake a spike and throw a game losing pick.

I wqant Bellichek's face at that point printed on money. Or at least on everyone's jersey where the small "NFL" is
Old 11-13-2023, 02:05 AM   #1204
CrimsonFox
Head Coach

My review of RedZone TV!

My ADD LOVES it! So much to see! So much to jump to! Never bored! Shiny keys take me away! YAYAYAYAYAY!
My OCD hates it! It keeps wanting to skip 30 seconds forward for commercials and reviews and headplays....and THERE ARE NONE! I want to hit that button! I also want to delete the game I watch from the DVR. But I can't....because it's one EXTRALONG game!
Old 11-13-2023, 07:27 AM   #1205
NobodyHere
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrimsonFox View Post
I wqant Bellichek's face at that point printed on money. Or at least on everyone's jersey where the small "NFL" is

There was talk that Bellicheck could get fired if he lost to the Colts this week. It would be fantastic if it were the Colts that got him fired given their rivalry during the Manning-Brady era.
Old 11-13-2023, 07:51 AM   #1206
Ksyrup
This guy has posted so much, his fingers are about to fall off.

I don't see that happening. I'm sure Kraft wants to see a winner ASAP, but given what Belichick has meant to this organization, I imagine it would take something drastic happening behind closed doors for him to make a mid-season move. But I don't know anything about that situation.
M's pitcher Miguel Batista: "Now, I feel like I've had everything. I've talked pitching with Sandy Koufax, had Kenny G play for me. Maybe if I could have an interview with God, then I'd be served. I'd be complete."
Ksyrup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2023, 08:55 AM   #1207
Thomkal
Head Coach

There were an NFL record five last second game winning FG's yesterday.
Old 11-13-2023, 08:16 PM   #1208
thesloppy
Pro Starter

Wow, that was a nice toe drag
Last edited by thesloppy : Today at 05:35 PM.
thesloppy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2023, 08:20 PM   #1209
Kodos
Resident Alien

Yeah, that was impressive.

Enjoying Mahomes on the Manningcast.
Old 11-13-2023, 09:34 PM   #1210
Ksyrup

Denver's offense is so limited with Wilson at QB. They should have picked up Josh Dobbs. Fuck it.
M's pitcher Miguel Batista: "Now, I feel like I've had everything. I've talked pitching with Sandy Koufax, had Kenny G play for me. Maybe if I could have an interview with God, then I'd be served. I'd be complete."
Old 11-13-2023, 09:43 PM   #1211
thesloppy
Pro Starter

Josh Allen sure seems to be regressing
Old 11-13-2023, 09:45 PM   #1212
thesloppy
Pro Starter

Quote:
Denver's offense is so limited with Wilson at QB. They should have picked up Josh Dobbs. Fuck it.

Dobbs is kind of a fascinating case study. The evidence suggests that making him learn a playbook might actually make him worse, how long can you just let him wing it out there?
Old 11-13-2023, 09:52 PM   #1213
Ksyrup

I'm just sick of watching Wilson bounce around in the pocket and throw a -2 yard dump off. Every other team gets the ball out of the QBs hands as quickly as possible and Payton thinks running play action and letting Wilson sit in the pocket is going to win games.

If the WRs are the problem, they should have traded them all for a few picks.
Old 11-13-2023, 10:02 PM   #1214
Atocep
Coordinator

Quote:
Every other team gets the ball out of the QBs hands as quickly as possible

Justin Fields strongly disagrees with this part of your argument.
Old 11-13-2023, 10:04 PM   #1215
Ksyrup

Denver does not want to win no matter how bad the Bills want to lose.
Old 11-13-2023, 10:05 PM   #1216
Ksyrup

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atocep View Post
Justin Fields strongly disagrees with this part of your argument.

At least he doesn't have 34 year old legs.
Old 11-13-2023, 10:13 PM   #1217
Ksyrup

This has been the stupidest Denver game in a card deck full of stupid Denver games.
Old 11-13-2023, 10:27 PM   #1218
thesloppy
Pro Starter

This game might be close, but it sure is shitty
Old 11-13-2023, 10:27 PM   #1219
Ksyrup

Stupidest game I've ever watched.
Old 11-13-2023, 10:28 PM   #1220
CrimsonFox
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thomkal View Post
There were an NFL record five last second game winning FG's yesterday.

6!
Old 11-13-2023, 10:33 PM   #1221
CrimsonFox
Head Coach

Hamiln played a couple defensive snaps.
Old 11-13-2023, 11:31 PM   #1222
stevew
Hall Of Famer

The Bills are a tough hang.
stevew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2023, 11:43 PM   #1223
CrimsonFox
Head Coach

Wow lol ducking Mike Evans dragging two defs into the end zone after a catch. Beautiful
Old 11-14-2023, 03:37 AM   #1224
CrimsonFox
Head Coach

wow you guy are right. Watching the 4th quarter of 3 games at the same time is exhilarating
Old 11-14-2023, 07:18 AM   #1225
miked
College Starter

I'm probably in the minority, but I hate the 30 yard PI calls on balls that are 10 yards underthrown.
Old 11-14-2023, 08:32 AM   #1226
Thomkal
Head Coach

Quote:
6!
Old 11-14-2023, 08:53 AM   #1227
QuikSand
lolzcat

Is there a chance that Joshua Dobbs works his way into a starting job? The situation in Minnesota seems weird, they seemingly were ready to move on from Cousins, then he balls out and they seemed truly deflated when he got hurt. Dobbs in and it's an inspiring story, but at some point does he start to get whispers of "our guy" as their draft pick moves further and further way from a "get your new QB" territory with each win?
QuikSand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2023, 09:06 AM   #1228
albionmoonlight
Head Coach

Feels like the Geno Smith contract with Seattle would be the place to look.

There's a large gap between what the top QBs are getting paid and what Dobbs has ever gotten paid.

There's a number that gives the Vikings a lot of flexibility while also getting Dobbs way way more money than anyone ever thought he'd be getting when he was Cleveland's backup 6 months ago.

All while teams like the Giants and Saints are giving guys like Jones and Carr $40 million/year to be not as good as Dobbs appears to be.

Last edited by albionmoonlight : 11-14-2023 at 09:06 AM.
albionmoonlight is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2023, 11:33 AM   #1229
stevew
Hall Of Famer

I dunno if Buffalo is in blow it up and clean house mode yet. But firing the OC isn’t going to fix anything.
Old 11-14-2023, 11:40 AM   #1230
Bobble
College Prospect

Dobbs, the passtronaut -- which is a great nickname, is a weird case. The six (or however many) teams that have gotten rid of him have figured out what he can't do but defenses haven't? He stepped off the bus and got the Vikes a couple of wins. He was thrown in the ring for Arizona and seemed to play well there. It's hard to believe that if you developed your scheme with him in mind that you wouldn't do pretty well.
Bobble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2023, 12:04 PM   #1231
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobble View Post
Dobbs, the passtronaut -- which is a great nickname, is a weird case. The six (or however many) teams that have gotten rid of him have figured out what he can't do but defenses haven't? He stepped off the bus and got the Vikes a couple of wins. He was thrown in the ring for Arizona and seemed to play well there. It's hard to believe that if you developed your scheme with him in mind that you wouldn't do pretty well.

Those who saw his college career probably aren't entirely surprised by his arc.

In many respects his NFL performances -- which this season alone have ranged from very nice to near abysmal -- are what his time at UT looked like.

This does a pretty good job of gathering up the then-vs-now comparisons, looking back at his PFF analysis entering the draft and matching it against what he's done in the league.
Josh Dobbs: Flash in the Pan or Here to Stay? - Daily Norseman

At UT, where he had both great moments and WTF moments, I often talked about "good Dobbs" and "bad Dobbs", stretches where he's like a pitcher who suddenly can't throw strikes. My guess at the time was he was almost TOO intelligent to be a QB because he goes through stretches where he thinks too much and doesn't react quite enough. Paralysis by analysis quarters or halves or games basically.
Old 11-14-2023, 12:53 PM   #1232
GrantDawg
World Champion Mis-speller

I could see that. And that may be why he is looking so good now. He doesn't know the offense well enough to overthink it. Just following his instincts.

Sent from my SM-S916U using Tapatalk
GrantDawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2023, 01:10 PM   #1233
CrimsonFox
Head Coach

It has become the Year of the Backup QB!

Winston comes in for the saints and immediately drops a perfect QB pass in the back corner of the end zone
Old 11-14-2023, 01:17 PM   #1234
CrimsonFox
Head Coach

neat. Brett Rypien got waived from the rams and Seattle picked him up. He's from spokane anyway so he was happy. Rams signed Carson Wentz
Old 11-14-2023, 04:15 PM   #1235
bhlloy
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by albionmoonlight View Post
Feels like the Geno Smith contract with Seattle would be the place to look.

There's a large gap between what the top QBs are getting paid and what Dobbs has ever gotten paid.

There's a number that gives the Vikings a lot of flexibility while also getting Dobbs way way more money than anyone ever thought he'd be getting when he was Cleveland's backup 6 months ago.

All while teams like the Giants and Saints are giving guys like Jones and Carr $40 million/year to be not as good as Dobbs appears to be.

There is overwhelming conclusive evidence at this point that in today's NFL, the worst thing you can possibly do is give big money to a QB in that 15-25 range. To the point where the next GM who goes to their owner and proposes to do so should be instantly fired on the spot.

Just this season you've got Minshew, Bagent, Dobbs and Howell all above or around Carr, Wilson, Watson, Jones and Jimmy G in QBR. It's an absolute mugs game. And that's only among the 33 qualifiers, if you look at guys who have had significant time you've also got a bunch more. While you won't hit every year, I'd feel far more confident getting 4 guys in training camp and seeing how they look in the offense than I would ever giving Daniel Jones somewhere from 8-10% of the cap.
bhlloy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2023, 04:34 PM   #1236
JPhillips
Hall Of Famer

It's what I first saw with the Antoine Walker max deal. The hardest decision is to let a guy walk who you can't replace, but who also can't win a title. The problem for the GM is that their job is much more likely to be secure by keeping that guy rather than letting him walk.
Old 11-14-2023, 04:36 PM   #1237
Atocep
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by bhlloy View Post
There is overwhelming conclusive evidence at this point that in today's NFL, the worst thing you can possibly do is give big money to a QB in that 15-25 range. To the point where the next GM who goes to their owner and proposes to do so should be instantly fired on the spot.

Just this season you've got Minshew, Bagent, Dobbs and Howell all above or around Carr, Wilson, Watson, Jones and Jimmy G in QBR. It's an absolute mugs game. And that's only among the 33 qualifiers, if you look at guys who have had significant time you've also got a bunch more. While you won't hit every year, I'd feel far more confident getting 4 guys in training camp and seeing how they look in the offense than I would ever giving Daniel Jones somewhere from 8-10% of the cap.

100%

From a fan perspective, what the NFL is doing right now is not fun. Your team either has a franchise QB and can compete or they don't and you're probably hoping the team sucks enough to have a shot at a franchise QB lottery ticket.

The games with some of these teams without franchise QBs right now are also the most unwatchable. The NFL has catered rules and everything around 1 position to the point that there's maybe 10 guys that play the position at a high enough level to make their team a contender. Everyone else is either trying to get one of those guys or they're fooling themselves into thinking they have one.
Old 11-14-2023, 04:54 PM   #1238
RainMaker
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
neat. Brett Rypien got waived from the rams and Seattle picked him up. He's from spokane anyway so he was happy. Rams signed Carson Wentz

Has there been any update on Stetson Bennett? I saw he was at the Georgia game the other day but wasn't he supposed to be the Rams backup? Reports were he looked good in training camp.
RainMaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2023, 04:59 PM   #1239
GrantDawg
World Champion Mis-speller

He is still on the non-football injury list. No cause ever given, but most suspect it was for rehab. He likely won't play again till next year.

Sent from my SM-S916U using Tapatalk
GrantDawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2023, 09:49 PM   #1240
CrimsonFox
Head Coach

what is a "Non-football" injury list?

It sounds like someone that has not injured a football, ....which means Tom Brady was never on it

Last edited by CrimsonFox : 11-14-2023 at 10:03 PM.
Old 11-15-2023, 12:25 AM   #1241
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
what is a "Non-football" injury list?

An injury that prevents the player from playing but was not related to football responsibilities. The distinction here is that IR players get paid, NFI listed players don't contractually have to be paid.

Say you fall down the stairs at your home. You're injured but it wasn't a football injury. NFI. And it's bad luck so they'll probably keep paying you.

But let's say you Ron Gant yourself, and break your leg riding a dirtbike and that was a risky activity prohibited by your contract. Maybe they don't want to release you for being a dumbass but they also don't want to pay you for being unavailable due to being a dumbass. Hello NFI, and they can withold your salary while retaining your contract rights.
Old 11-15-2023, 12:30 AM   #1242
Danny
Head Coach

Quote:
100%

From a fan perspective, what the NFL is doing right now is not fun. Your team either has a franchise QB and can compete or they don't and you're probably hoping the team sucks enough to have a shot at a franchise QB lottery ticket.

The games with some of these teams without franchise QBs right now are also the most unwatchable. The NFL has catered rules and everything around 1 position to the point that there's maybe 10 guys that play the position at a high enough level to make their team a contender. Everyone else is either trying to get one of those guys or they're fooling themselves into thinking they have one.

Im not sure, looking at the history of super bowl winnings QBs, it seems it has always been that way. Occasional outlier like nick foles, brad johnson, joe flacco, jim mcmahon, etc but its almost always hall of fame qbs winning it it all.
Danny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2023, 01:49 AM   #1243
CrimsonFox
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonInMiddleGA View Post
An injury that prevents the player from playing but was not related to football responsibilities. The distinction here is that IR players get paid, NFI listed players don't contractually have to be paid.

Say you fall down the stairs at your home. You're injured but it wasn't a football injury. NFI. And it's bad luck so they'll probably keep paying you.

But let's say you Ron Gant yourself, and break your leg riding a dirtbike and that was a risky activity prohibited by your contract. Maybe they don't want to release you for being a dumbass but they also don't want to pay you for being unavailable due to being a dumbass. Hello NFI, and they can withold your salary while retaining your contract rights.

Old 11-15-2023, 01:50 AM   #1244
CrimsonFox
Head Coach

Quote:

The NFL has catered rules and everything around 1 position (QB)

What rules? could you elaborate?
Old 11-15-2023, 06:46 AM   #1245
albionmoonlight
Head Coach

I agree 100% with the "don't pay mediocre QBs star money" idea.

The interesting questions arise when we aren't quite sure what bucket a guy fits into.

Let's say that the Dolphins keep on the offensive path that they are on and end up losing a 38-35 shootout in the second round of the playoffs to the Ravens or the Chiefs.

And Tua comes to the Dolphins and wants star QB money for an extension.

Do you give it to him?

Last edited by albionmoonlight : 11-15-2023 at 06:46 AM.
Old 11-15-2023, 07:03 AM   #1246
Bobble
College Prospect

Quote:
What rules? could you elaborate?

Two that come to mind are ones that apply only to QBs. You can't hit a QB in the head, even an accidental tap, and you can't hit him below the knee while in the pocket. The latter is similar to the cut block rule for D-lineman.

I'm not arguing about the "sissification" of QBs or anything but there are QB-specific rules.

Sidebar: I was once again reminded of the violence of this sport on MNF. Dudes were getting completely blown up and just trotting back to the huddle. I was thinking about them showing Kirk Cousins' recovery time/process in Quarterback on Netflix. We're definitely exceeding what the human body should have to go through.
Bobble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2023, 07:11 AM   #1247
CrimsonFox
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobble View Post
Two that come to mind are ones that apply only to QBs. You can't hit a QB in the head, even an accidental tap, and you can't hit him below the knee while in the pocket. The latter is similar to the cut block rule for D-lineman.

I'm not arguing about the "sissification" of QBs or anything but there are QB-specific rules.

Sidebar: I was once again reminded of the violence of this sport on MNF. Dudes were getting completely blown up and just trotting back to the huddle. I was thinking about them showing Kirk Cousins' recovery time/process in Quarterback on Netflix. We're definitely exceeding what the human body should have to go through.

ah I didn't realize that those were new rules. So you are saying those rules were put in less about about actually protecting people for their health and more about protecting the QB so that those big money contracts will be worth it and games will be better because fewer backups will have to play? Got it

yup follow the money. I mean it's like clockwork that giving scrubs big boy money is seriously wasting it. They always get hurt and are mediocre.
I mean even WITH those rules there are a ton of QBs out for multiple games with backups getting a lot of time. It's only a matter of time before all those backups get hurt too.
Old 11-15-2023, 08:10 AM   #1248
stevew
Hall Of Famer

Watson to miss rest of season.
Old 11-15-2023, 08:20 AM   #1249
albionmoonlight
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevew View Post

Get that Bag First Ballot Hall of Famer
Old 11-15-2023, 08:54 AM   #1250
CrimsonFox
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevew View Post

jesus! Are there any starters LEFT in the league???

Wait I know how to stop this. Have police on the sidelines every game. Anytime someone is injured and taken into the stadium and don't return, the police arrest the person that injured them on the spot!