Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Archives > FOFC Archive
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 03-07-2010, 11:16 PM   #1201
bhlloy
Coordinator

That was pathetic CR. They already shat one game away like that vs Colorado but this one was a million times worse. Even the usually solid guys seem to have given up on the season. Getzlaf at fault for the first goal, Perry for the second (kid needs to grow up fast) and then Hiller breaks the golden rule of goaltending and throws the puck into the net on the Canadiens last penalty shot. I was thinking of going to the game but my Sunday soccer team would have been short - God I would have been fuming if I had driven out there and paid for that shit.

This team should have been sellers at the deadline. You don't go and add veteran salary for a 30-70 shot at an 8 seed. Some of the personnel decisions are bizarre. Why the hell isn't Sbisa getting some NHL experience? Why are Festerling and Mikkelson bounced back and forth between the AHL and the NHL and never allowed to settle in either place? If you are going to throw marginal NHL defenseman out there every night, might as well be getting guys experience.
bhlloy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2010, 11:30 PM   #1202
Chief Rum
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by bhlloy View Post
That was pathetic CR. They already shat one game away like that vs Colorado but this one was a million times worse. Even the usually solid guys seem to have given up on the season. Getzlaf at fault for the first goal, Perry for the second (kid needs to grow up fast) and then Hiller breaks the golden rule of goaltending and throws the puck into the net on the Canadiens last penalty shot. I was thinking of going to the game but my Sunday soccer team would have been short - God I would have been fuming if I had driven out there and paid for that shit.

This team should have been sellers at the deadline. You don't go and add veteran salary for a 30-70 shot at an 8 seed. Some of the personnel decisions are bizarre. Why the hell isn't Sbisa getting some NHL experience? Why are Festerling and Mikkelson bounced back and forth between the AHL and the NHL and never allowed to settle in either place? If you are going to throw marginal NHL defenseman out there every night, might as well be getting guys experience.

Yeah, good thing you stayed where you were. That would have been an ugly ride home.

I don't mind the Ducks taking a chance on this year as, IMO, outside of the top 3-4 teams in the West, I don't think any other team in the conference has yet proven they're better or more talented. This team still has a ton of talent, and between the Toronto deal and the deadline deals, I do think there's more talent there now, too.

But the maddening inconsistency is just galling. I think we lost too much on the checking line and we gave away too much in our own end to start the season, and that made us a defensively unsound team, even with better goaltending. That, combined with the injuries and turnover issues (all of the defensmen this year have been awful with turnovers) that remind me of two seasons ago (the post-Cup year), have really put us on our heels. Last year, the team nutted up and got back in it. This year, that attitude doesn't seem to be there, for some reason.

I think they determined that Sbisa wasn't ready at that time, and NHL rules required the juniors move, so there wasn't much to be done about that. I do think the team would have been better just keeping Mikk and Fest up here the whole time, rather than marching out Eminger and Boynton. What a waste those two have been.

I would rather be wrong...Than live in the shadows of your song...My mind is open wide...And now I'm ready to start...You're not sure...You open the door...And step out into the dark...Now I'm ready.
Chief Rum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2010, 11:42 PM   #1203
Chief Rum
Hall Of Famer

I have been thinking of next year, trying to figure out what this team will look like. I don't really have any idea. I am assuming Ryan gets resigned (even if it comes as a matching deal), and I put Wiz coming back at 50-50. Nieds, Teemu and Koivu will be gone. Probably Ward, too. That puts us at...

Perry-Getzlaf-Ryan
Lupul-Who knows-Blake
Carter-Marchant-Brown
Sexton-????-????

With Parros in reserve, as usual.

Wisniewski-Visnovsky
Brookbank-Mikkelsson
Festerling-Sbisa

Hiller-McElhinney

There are a ton of holes in this lineup and yet the money allocated to big guys (Getzlaf-Perry-Blake-Lupul-Visnovsky-Hiller and presumeably Ryan and Wiz), I don't know much there is left to go out there to fill holes.

A roster based around the above looks to be a shooin for a high first rounder in 2011. Older first rounders who might have helped (Mitera, MacMillan) have either not shown much since signing their pro contracts, or have had off the ice issues. Kids like Gardner at Wisky, who knows when they'll be ready. Tangredi, who would have been a nice talent to slip in at the #2 C spot, is now in Pittsburgh because of that stupid Whitney deal. Maybe the BC kid (Bonino? I forget), he'll probably be with the team, that might help.

But what is there really to look forward to at this point for next year? Ugh.

I would rather be wrong...Than live in the shadows of your song...My mind is open wide...And now I'm ready to start...You're not sure...You open the door...And step out into the dark...Now I'm ready.

Last edited by Chief Rum : 03-07-2010 at 11:44 PM.
Old 03-08-2010, 01:44 AM   #1204
bhlloy
Coordinator

Yeah I can't disagree on anything you said there. I'm not ready to give up on Mitera yet but the prospect situation as a whole is very weak. Any team with that defense is going to have a top 5 pick for sure.

Team used to be built around toughness, defense and dependability and it won a Stanley Cup. And it just seems to have morphed into a team built around inconsistent, talented guys who either have worn out their welcome elsewhere or just don't have the heart or stomach for a fight. Very frustrating. You can definitely point to letting Moen and Pahlsson walk as the start of the downfall, every move since then has just been a downgrade. Thank God we lucked into Hiller. I really feel sorry for Getzlaf who is by far my favorite hockey player ever and is going to be stuck on a crappy team for the next few years, working his ass off.

That defense you have there could be the worst in the league. I guess we get down on our knees and pray Sbisa is the second coming, Wiz gets back to his early Chicago form and either Mikkelson or Festerling steps up... otherwise it's going to be a hell of a long year.
bhlloy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2010, 08:58 AM   #1205
Dr. Sak
Grizzled Veteran

I thought this was a cool blog post...

The playoff push: Records that reward a playoff berth - From The Rink
Dr. Sak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2010, 09:34 AM   #1206
sterlingice
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. Sak View Post

From the article:
San Jose Sharks Much like the Caps they can go 0-17-0, but they'll probably save that winless streak for the playoffs

SI

Janos: "Only America could produce an imbecile of your caliber!"
Freakazoid: "That's because we make lots of things better than other people!"

sterlingice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2010, 09:36 AM   #1207
Dr. Sak
Grizzled Veteran

Yeah that part cracked me up too.
Old 03-09-2010, 12:51 PM   #1208
Fidatelo
Pro Starter

My turn to play the role of northern MBBF: The Coyotes are coming to Winnipeg.

I should add that I have absolutely no clue how credible this Peter Tessier is, nor am I standing behind what he's written... but between this and the recent Thrashers-to-Winnipeg talk I am starting to get minorly hopeful that something is indeed going on behind the scenes to get a team here.
"Breakfast? Breakfast schmekfast, look at the score for God's sake. It's only the second period and I'm winning 12-2. Breakfasts come and go, Rene, but Hartford, the Whale, they only beat Vancouver maybe once or twice in a lifetime."
Fidatelo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2010, 12:55 PM   #1209
MikeVic
Head Coach

I was walking downtown a couple of days ago when the Winnipeg Sun's headline was something about the Thrashers not coming here after all. And I said to a co-worker "We're not getting a team, they'll fail. We can't support an NHL team."

And a couple in front of me just turned around and gave me this horrible look. Oops.
MikeVic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2010, 01:06 PM   #1210
Fidatelo
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeVic View Post
I was walking downtown a couple of days ago when the Winnipeg Sun's headline was something about the Thrashers not coming here after all. And I said to a co-worker "We're not getting a team, they'll fail. We can't support an NHL team."

And a couple in front of me just turned around and gave me this horrible look. Oops.

I hope that wasn't Mark Chipman and his wife!
"Breakfast? Breakfast schmekfast, look at the score for God's sake. It's only the second period and I'm winning 12-2. Breakfasts come and go, Rene, but Hartford, the Whale, they only beat Vancouver maybe once or twice in a lifetime."
Old 03-09-2010, 01:18 PM   #1211
MikeVic
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fidatelo View Post
I hope that wasn't Mark Chipman and his wife!

Haha no definitely not!
Old 03-09-2010, 01:26 PM   #1212
Fidatelo
Pro Starter

I should add that I'll be a little annoyed if they don't call them the Jets. I could understand it if we were getting the Thrashers or something, because its a different franchise, but the Coyotes ARE the Jets! The history is there, lets not hide from it. I want to be able to look back and compare current players to the Hawerchuck's and Steen's. I want to wear my retro Jets jerseys to games. I want the awesome colour scheme. And I definitely do not want some crappy new-wave name and colours, like the Winnipeg WolfDawgs all decked out in shiny silver with fur on their shoulders or something.
Old 03-09-2010, 01:54 PM   #1213
Dr. Sak
Grizzled Veteran

I hope Winnipeg gets a team soon. I think it is time for Gary to admit his mistakes with some of the southern teams and move them back to Canada.
Old 03-09-2010, 02:19 PM   #1214
Maple Leafs
Coordinator

Quote:
I should add that I have absolutely no clue how credible this Peter Tessier is
It's hockeybuzz. Zero credibility.
Old 03-09-2010, 02:24 PM   #1215
MikeVic
Head Coach

Quote:
I should add that I'll be a little annoyed if they don't call them the Jets. I could understand it if we were getting the Thrashers or something, because its a different franchise, but the Coyotes ARE the Jets! The history is there, lets not hide from it. I want to be able to look back and compare current players to the Hawerchuck's and Steen's. I want to wear my retro Jets jerseys to games. I want the awesome colour scheme. And I definitely do not want some crappy new-wave name and colours, like the Winnipeg WolfDawgs all decked out in shiny silver with fur on their shoulders or something.

Yeah, on a similar note... why did they call them the Minnesota Wild when they came back? North Stars was great.

Hockey died for me as a kid when Selanne was traded, so I'm still bitter at the NHL a bit and pessimistic about the whole Jets thing.
Old 03-09-2010, 02:32 PM   #1216
Fidatelo
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maple Leafs View Post
It's hockeybuzz. Zero credibility.

Boooooo.
Old 03-09-2010, 02:32 PM   #1217
Fidatelo
Pro Starter

Quote:
Yeah, on a similar note... why did they call them the Minnesota Wild when they came back? North Stars was great.

Couldn't be North Stars because they became the Dallas Stars, and owned the name.
Old 03-09-2010, 02:34 PM   #1218
MikeVic
Head Coach

Quote:
Couldn't be North Stars because they became the Dallas Stars, and owned the name.

Oh ok, completely forgot about that. So if it is the Thrashers, no Jets because of stupid money stuff. But if it's the Coyotes, then yay.
Old 03-09-2010, 02:35 PM   #1219
MikeVic
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. Sak View Post
I hope Winnipeg gets a team soon. I think it is time for Gary to admit his mistakes with some of the southern teams and move them back to Canada.

It would get me to follow hockey closer again, that's for sure. I hate Gary Bettman.
Old 03-09-2010, 03:32 PM   #1220
chadritt
High School Varsity

Quote:
It would get me to follow hockey closer again, that's for sure. I hate Gary Bettman.

And it would make me follow it far less, so it all evens out i guess.
chadritt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2010, 03:38 PM   #1221
Honolulu_Blue
Hockey Boy

Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by chadritt View Post

And it would not at all affect how closely I follow hockey, so we have all our bases covered.
Steve Yzerman: 1,755 points in 1,514 regular season games. 185 points in 196 postseason games. A First-Team All-Star, Conn Smythe Trophy winner, Selke Trophy winner, Masterton Trophy winner, member of the Hockey Hall of Fame, Olympic gold medallist, and a three-time Stanley Cup Champion. Longest serving captain of one team in the history of the NHL (19 seasons).
Honolulu_Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2010, 03:49 PM   #1222
MikeVic
Head Coach

Quote:

Thrashers or Coyotes fan?
Old 03-09-2010, 03:52 PM   #1223
chadritt
High School Varsity

Quote:
Thrashers or Coyotes fan?

Thrashers, Kings, and ducks if were just talking "non-traditional market" teams. Born in Atlanta, live in california but have been going to hockey games ever since atlanta got an IHL team.
Old 03-09-2010, 03:54 PM   #1224
MikeVic
Head Coach

Quote:
Thrashers, Kings, and ducks if were just talking "non-traditional market" teams. Born in Atlanta, live in california but have been going to hockey games ever since atlanta got an IHL team.

Ok, well, I'd prefer the Coyotes for the Jets thing so here's hoping to Atlanta keeping their team and the Coyotes moving to Winnipeg.
Old 03-09-2010, 03:59 PM   #1225
chadritt
High School Varsity

Quote:
Ok, well, I'd prefer the Coyotes for the Jets thing so here's hoping to Atlanta keeping their team and the Coyotes moving to Winnipeg.

I dont LIKE the idea of any city losing their team but if Phoenix keeps losing insane amounts of money it makes a decent amount of sense.
Old 03-09-2010, 04:07 PM   #1226
MikeVic
Head Coach

Quote:
I dont LIKE the idea of any city losing their team but if Phoenix keeps losing insane amounts of money it makes a decent amount of sense.

Winnipeg, Hartford, and Quebec all lost their teams too.
Old 03-09-2010, 07:18 PM   #1227
Suburban Rhythm
Pro Starter

THN Future Watch came in the mail yesterday.

As in past years, make a request, I'll do my best to list your team's grade/prospects.
Suburban Rhythm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2010, 07:19 PM   #1228
DeToxRox
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suburban Rhythm View Post

As in past years, make a request, I'll do my best to list your team's grade/prospects.

Wings please.

Curious to see if Smith took over the #1 spot.
DeToxRox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2010, 07:24 PM   #1229
samifan24
Pro Starter

Quote:

Bruins, please.
Old 03-09-2010, 08:15 PM   #1230
Pyser
Pro Rookie

devils please
Pyser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2010, 08:20 PM   #1231
Logan
Head Coach

NYR please.
Logan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2010, 08:44 PM   #1232
Dr. Sak
Grizzled Veteran

If SR doesn't get you guys them tonight, I can do it for you tomorrow. I left my THN Future's Report at work.
Old 03-09-2010, 08:46 PM   #1233
Chief Rum
Hall Of Famer

Ducks pelase.

Old 03-09-2010, 08:46 PM   #1234
Chief Rum
Hall Of Famer

Quote:

Nice to see another Ducks fan on the board. You might have noticed me and bhlloy bitching about our team a few posts up.

Old 03-09-2010, 08:47 PM   #1235
samifan24
Pro Starter

The Bruins season ended tonight. It had been on life support for months now but tonight's OT to a bad Toronto squad sealed the deal for me.
Old 03-09-2010, 08:49 PM   #1236
Fidatelo
Pro Starter

WolfDawgs... er, Coyotes please
Old 03-09-2010, 09:05 PM   #1237
Wolfpack
Pro Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by samifan24 View Post
The Bruins season ended tonight. It had been on life support for months now but tonight's OT to a bad Toronto squad sealed the deal for me.

Really? Have you seen how the group chasing you is doing lately? Atlanta and Tampa Bay both lost tonight. That leaves the Rangers in 9th by three points and Boston has a game in hand. Hell, the only team that's playing any good (Carolina) is nine points back and it would take a finish of epic proportions to get them in (I hope... ).

Nonetheless, I think the Bruins are probably going to make it at this point. Nobody behind them is doing anything to take it from them.

Last edited by Wolfpack : 03-09-2010 at 09:11 PM.
Wolfpack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2010, 09:41 PM   #1238
bbor
Pro Starter

Win by the Leafs tonight vs the Bees must feel like a double whammy to Bruin fans.

Now that I've cracked and made that admission, I wonder if I'm only a couple of steps away from wanting to tongue-kiss Jaromir Jagr and give Bobby Clarke a blowjob.
bbor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2010, 09:42 PM   #1239
bbor
Pro Starter

BTW...Wideman is terrible....He got caught pinching numerous times including the game winner tonight.

Now that I've cracked and made that admission, I wonder if I'm only a couple of steps away from wanting to tongue-kiss Jaromir Jagr and give Bobby Clarke a blowjob.
bbor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2010, 10:41 PM   #1240
Galaxy
Coordinator

Off-topic, but I found this story in the local paper rather amusing:

Sidney Crosby fan with gun robs mall pretzel shop : Latest Local News : The Buffalo News
Galaxy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2010, 02:44 AM   #1241
johnnyshaka
College Benchwarmer

Quote:

Springfield Oilers, please and thank you.
johnnyshaka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2010, 07:09 AM   #1242
Dr. Sak
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeToxRox View Post
Wings please.

Curious to see if Smith took over the #1 spot.

Detroit team ranking 28th

Overall rankings are in parentheses:

1. Brendan Smith D, (39)
2. Tomas Tatar LW (55)
3. Jakub Kindl D (63)
4. Thomas McCollum G
5. Gustav Nyquist LW
6. Landon Ferraro C
7. Jan Mursak RW
8. Cory Emmerton C
9. Joakim Andersson C
10. Mattias Ritola RW

Last edited by Dr. Sak : 03-10-2010 at 07:51 AM.
Old 03-10-2010, 07:11 AM   #1243
Dr. Sak
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by samifan24 View Post
Bruins, please.

Boston team ranking 19th

1. Joe Colborne C (23)
2. Jordan Caron RW (62)
3. Brad Marchand RW (73)
4. Zach Hamill C
5. Carl Soderberg C
6. Adam Mcquaid D
7. Jamie Arniel C
8. Maxime Sauve C
9. Ryan Button D
10. Tommy Cross D

Last edited by Dr. Sak : 03-10-2010 at 07:51 AM.
Old 03-10-2010, 07:21 AM   #1244
Chubby
Grizzled Veteran

sabres please
Chubby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2010, 07:24 AM   #1245
JPhillips
Hall Of Famer

Caps, please.
Old 03-10-2010, 07:28 AM   #1246
Dr. Sak
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pyser View Post
devils please

Devils team ranking 25th

1. Jacob Josefson C (37)
2. Mattias Tedenby LW (40)
3. Matt Corrente D
4. Adam Henrique C
5. Tyler Eckford D
6. Mike Hoeffel LW
7. Matt Halischuk RW
8. Alexander Urbom D
9. Alexander Vasyunov LW
10. Jeff Frazee G

Last edited by Dr. Sak : 03-10-2010 at 07:52 AM.
Old 03-10-2010, 07:35 AM   #1247
sterlingice
Hall Of Famer

Chicago, please

SI

Janos: "Only America could produce an imbecile of your caliber!"
Freakazoid: "That's because we make lots of things better than other people!"

Last edited by sterlingice : 03-10-2010 at 07:35 AM.
sterlingice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2010, 07:37 AM   #1248
samifan24
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by bbor View Post
BTW...Wideman is terrible....He got caught pinching numerous times including the game winner tonight.

Yes, Wideman has probably been the biggest disappointment this season with an unaggressive Lucic right behind. How Wideman played at such an incredible level last season (and the whole team, for that matter) amazes me now that he's regressed to this point. He has been horrible all year, especially when he eats all that extra ice time when Chara is out.
Old 03-10-2010, 08:00 AM   #1249
Dr. Sak
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Logan View Post
NYR please.

NYR Team Ranking 5th

1. Derek Stepan C (16)
2. Evgeny Grachev LW (21)
3. Chris Kreider C (22)
4. Ryan McDonagh D (67)