Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Main Forums > Off Topic
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 10-21-2013, 02:14 PM   #12151
Honolulu_Blue
Hockey Boy

Yesterday afternoon, around noon, Lady H_B wanted to grab some coffee after church, so we drove back into our town, parked the car and were walking to the local coffee shop. Two stores down there is a new restaurant called "Blaze Pizza." I assume it's some kind of chain. It's like a "Chipotle" of pizzas. You walk through a long line of toppings - different sauces, cheeses, veggies, meats, spices, etc. - picking out the ones you want in a make-your-own-pizza type of way, they fire it up, call your name, you get your pizza.

We were mildly interested in the place and as we walked by we saw that it was opening on Tuesday, but there were a bunch of people inside eating. We weren't sure what was going on, but figured we'd pop in and see if we could grab a carryout menu. We step in and some guy working there - maybe a manager - asks us if we're there as part of their "friends and family" day. We told him no, we were just looking for a menu. He then proceeds to tell us all about the place, gives us a menu, introduces himself, says we're now "friends" and asks if we could help his people train by going through the line, getting a free pizza made and then eating it to tell them how it was.

While we had no intention of getting pizza and really weren't that hungry, it's hard to pass up the offer a couple of random, free pizzas. So, we took him up on the offer. It was pretty good. They have a huge variety of toppings and you can get as many as you want for no extra charge. Each pizza is about $7.

I got regular pizza sauce, mozzarella cheese, gorgonzola, chicken, italian sausage, mushrooms, jalapenos, minced garlic, roasted garlic, salt, pepper and oregano. It was quite tasty.
Steve Yzerman: 1,755 points in 1,514 regular season games. 185 points in 196 postseason games. A First-Team All-Star, Conn Smythe Trophy winner, Selke Trophy winner, Masterton Trophy winner, member of the Hockey Hall of Fame, Olympic gold medallist, and a three-time Stanley Cup Champion. Longest serving captain of one team in the history of the NHL (19 seasons).
Honolulu_Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2013, 02:22 PM   #12152
sterlingice
Hall Of Famer

How long does it take to cook? I'm going to assume it's a fairly thin crust, too, as it would take too long to do a thicker crust.

But, you know, it's odd that no one has come up with this sooner.

SI

Janos: "Only America could produce an imbecile of your caliber!"
Freakazoid: "That's because we make lots of things better than other people!"

sterlingice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2013, 02:27 PM   #12153
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

Quote:
Originally Posted by sterlingice View Post
How long does it take to cook? I'm going to assume it's a fairly thin crust, too, as it would take too long to do a thicker crust.

SI

Kramer did in a Seinfeld episode.

Some brick ovens can cook a thin crust pie in a ouple of minutes or less. It may also be the kind of place that gives you a number to put on the table and they run it out to you.
Lathum is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2013, 03:19 PM   #12154
Honolulu_Blue
Hockey Boy

Quote:

SI

It is a pretty thin crust. I'd say it took about 5 minutes or so to cook. It didn't feel too terribly long.
Steve Yzerman: 1,755 points in 1,514 regular season games. 185 points in 196 postseason games. A First-Team All-Star, Conn Smythe Trophy winner, Selke Trophy winner, Masterton Trophy winner, member of the Hockey Hall of Fame, Olympic gold medallist, and a three-time Stanley Cup Champion. Longest serving captain of one team in the history of the NHL (19 seasons).
Old 10-21-2013, 03:20 PM   #12155
Honolulu_Blue
Hockey Boy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lathum View Post
Kramer did in a Seinfeld episode.

Some brick ovens can cook a thin crust pie in a ouple of minutes or less. It may also be the kind of place that gives you a number to put on the table and they run it out to you.

They call you up by name. They were actually pretty big into the "name" thing. It must be a part of the training to be overly friendly and keep referring to you by your first name.
Old 10-21-2013, 03:23 PM   #12156
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Honolulu_Blue View Post
Two stores down there is a new restaurant called "Blaze Pizza." I assume it's some kind of chain. It's like a "Chipotle" of pizzas. You walk through a long line of toppings - different sauces, cheeses, veggies, meats, spices, etc. - picking out the ones you want in a make-your-own-pizza type of way, they fire it up, call your name, you get your pizza.

Sounds a lot like a similar gimmick here in the southeast called Your Pie. Except for the relatively fast part, that is something these guys here don't quite have down yet.
Old 10-21-2013, 03:24 PM   #12157
chadritt
High School Varsity

Quote:
Originally Posted by Honolulu_Blue View Post
Yesterday afternoon, around noon, Lady H_B wanted to grab some coffee after church, so we drove back into our town, parked the car and were walking to the local coffee shop. Two stores down there is a new restaurant called "Blaze Pizza." I assume it's some kind of chain. It's like a "Chipotle" of pizzas. You walk through a long line of toppings - different sauces, cheeses, veggies, meats, spices, etc. - picking out the ones you want in a make-your-own-pizza type of way, they fire it up, call your name, you get your pizza.

We were mildly interested in the place and as we walked by we saw that it was opening on Tuesday, but there were a bunch of people inside eating. We weren't sure what was going on, but figured we'd pop in and see if we could grab a carryout menu. We step in and some guy working there - maybe a manager - asks us if we're there as part of their "friends and family" day. We told him no, we were just looking for a menu. He then proceeds to tell us all about the place, gives us a menu, introduces himself, says we're now "friends" and asks if we could help his people train by going through the line, getting a free pizza made and then eating it to tell them how it was.

While we had no intention of getting pizza and really weren't that hungry, it's hard to pass up the offer a couple of random, free pizzas. So, we took him up on the offer. It was pretty good. They have a huge variety of toppings and you can get as many as you want for no extra charge. Each pizza is about $7.

I got regular pizza sauce, mozzarella cheese, gorgonzola, chicken, italian sausage, mushrooms, jalapenos, minced garlic, roasted garlic, salt, pepper and oregano. It was quite tasty.

I like the idea of this place though I don't know how often I could go to it personally. Its certainly a great idea for when you have a group of people, especially younger ones, so I do wish it was in my part of LA.
chadritt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2013, 03:31 PM   #12158
Honolulu_Blue
Hockey Boy

Quote:
Originally Posted by chadritt View Post
I like the idea of this place though I don't know how often I could go to it personally. Its certainly a great idea for when you have a group of people, especially younger ones, so I do wish it was in my part of LA.

I don't think it will enter into the regular rotation. We have a pretty great pizza place that's a few blocks closer. So, if we want to go out for pizza we'd likely go there.

I could see stopping by this "Blaze Pizza" before/after a movie. It's on the way, is pretty affordable and was pretty good, not to mention I do feel some loyalty after how well we were treated yesterday.

I think it'd be perfect for families. Very affordable, the kids could easily split one pizza and there are enough interesting toppings and possible combinations to keep the adults happy.
Old 10-21-2013, 03:51 PM   #12159
DaddyTorgo
Hall Of Famer

I'd heard about this place - interesting that it was pretty good.
DaddyTorgo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2013, 03:54 PM   #12160
Easy Mac

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonInMiddleGA View Post
Sounds a lot like a similar gimmick here in the southeast called Your Pie. Except for the relatively fast part, that is something these guys here don't quite have down yet.

Yeah, Your Pie is mediocre at best. The amount of time it takes them, why not just go to a real pizza place.

I also don't understand Papa Murphy's. If I want to bake my own pizza, I can do it on my own. It takes me just as long to prep it and bake as it does to stop by papa murphys and throw it in my oven.
Easy Mac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2013, 09:01 PM   #12161
Bad-example
College Starter

Whenever someone says, "There's someone out there for everyone" or some such bullshit, it should be considered perfectly acceptable behavior to beat the holy fuck out of them.
Bad-example is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2013, 09:03 PM   #12162
cartman
Death Herald

Location: Le stelle la notte sono grandi e luminose nel cuore profondo del Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bad-example View Post
Whenever someone says, "There's someone out there for everyone" or some such bullshit, it should be considered perfectly acceptable behavior to beat the holy fuck out of them.

But what if they say "There's someone out there for everyone to beat the holy fuck out of"?
So I dig deeper but still comin' up with lint
cartman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2013, 09:05 PM   #12163
Bad-example
College Starter

You, sir, are on thin ice.

Not with me. But I'm sure there's someone out there you're on thin ice with.
Bad-example is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2013, 09:07 PM   #12164
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Easy Mac View Post

I also don't understand Papa Murphy's. If I want to bake my own pizza, I can do it on my own. It takes me just as long to prep it and bake as it does to stop by papa murphys and throw it in my oven.

Plus one billion

If I am paying normal price for a pizza it better be cooked already.
Old 10-22-2013, 10:27 PM   #12165
cuervo72
Head Coach

Eh, I usually get pretty good deals on Papa Murphy's. Definitely think it's cheaper than Pizza Hut, Papa John's, etc. And they have a good thin crust option. The pizzas taste good and are 1000x less greasy. So I have to unwrap them and pop them in the oven. Oh, and they are actually a decent size, unlike the incredibly-shrinking "large" that I get elsewhere.

It IS easier for me to stop by there on the way home rather than having to make crust and having 2-3 different sauces and up to 10 different toppings available and prepped at home.
Old 10-22-2013, 11:21 PM   #12166
thesloppy
Pro Starter

I do get the feeling that Papa Murphy's business plan is entirely based on proximity....like, nobody would go even a minute out of their way to buy one, and folks who don't have one near them are confused by their very existence, but folks who live in direct proximity to one seem to eat there a lot and sing their praises. Personally, I'm in the first group....I find a Papa Murphy's fills a special spot where it's both less desirable and less offensive than most delivery options....like it's going to be less greasy/salty/sweet/chemical/whatever than your delivery options, and also less flavorful. Mmmmm.
Last edited by thesloppy : Today at 05:35 PM.
thesloppy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2013, 09:30 AM   #12167
JeeberD
General Manager

Quote:

SI

I guess they haven't made it down to Houston yet, but there's a chain up here in DFW called "Pie Five" that's pretty much what HB described. It's quick, damn tasty, and not that expensive.

http://www.piefivepizza.com/

Actually, looking at their "Locations" page, it looks like they're planning on getting into the Houston market soon...

I solemnly swear to never cheer for TO
JeeberD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2013, 09:43 AM   #12168
cartman
Death Herald

Location: Le stelle la notte sono grandi e luminose nel cuore profondo del Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bad-example View Post
You, sir, are on thin ice.

Not with me. But I'm sure there's someone out there you're on thin ice with.

Old 10-23-2013, 10:44 AM   #12169
cuervo72
Head Coach

I disagree on the less flavorful, especially for combos like their Thai chicken. Their creamy garlic sauce is also very good.

Usually takes about 13-15 minutes to cook (that's doing two of them, which really they advise not to do but whatever). Somewhat longer for the stuffed pizzas.
Old 10-23-2013, 11:45 AM   #12170
gstelmack
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by cuervo72 View Post
Eh, I usually get pretty good deals on Papa Murphy's. Definitely think it's cheaper than Pizza Hut, Papa John's, etc. And they have a good thin crust option. The pizzas taste good and are 1000x less greasy. So I have to unwrap them and pop them in the oven. Oh, and they are actually a decent size, unlike the incredibly-shrinking "large" that I get elsewhere.

It IS easier for me to stop by there on the way home rather than having to make crust and having 2-3 different sauces and up to 10 different toppings available and prepped at home.

How do you get the Papa Murphy's crust to actually BAKE? We never figured out how to cook it without burning it while still getting the dough at the center to actually bake. The dough sticks to the tray they have it on, so we could never slide it off onto our pizza stone.
Old 10-23-2013, 12:40 PM   #12171
cuervo72
Head Coach

Huh - I never had that problem. There have been some times where I've done the thin crust maybe a little too much or even a little not enough (again, probably due to having two of them in the oven and not rotating them), but I typically have no issues separating the crust from the tray. I'm assuming the same trays are used everywhere (white, have a bit of a non-stick coating on the top). I'm also figuring your oven works just fine. Maybe yours is doing something strange with the dough?
Old 10-23-2013, 01:57 PM   #12172
gstelmack
Pro Starter

Quote:
Huh - I never had that problem. There have been some times where I've done the thin crust maybe a little too much or even a little not enough (again, probably due to having two of them in the oven and not rotating them), but I typically have no issues separating the crust from the tray. I'm assuming the same trays are used everywhere (white, have a bit of a non-stick coating on the top). I'm also figuring your oven works just fine. Maybe yours is doing something strange with the dough?

Not sure. Before we cook it, we can't pull it off the white tray, and that white try seems to prevent the dough from properly browning and crisping up on the outside, like it traps all the steam. So the center of the pizza ends up mushy and falling apart, you can't get good slices.

That's why we gave up on the local Papa Murphy's.
Old 10-24-2013, 11:48 AM   #12173
PilotMan
Head Coach

I think I may have reached my threshold for need of superhero movies. I'm just not sure I can get excited about them anymore, but with 3 boys I'm not sure I have a choice.

Like Steam?
Join the FOFC Steam group here: http://steamcommunity.com/groups/FOFConSteam

PilotMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2013, 12:48 PM   #12174
QuikSand
lolzcat

Quote:
Originally Posted by QuikSand View Post
Step one, activated:

Tim Hortons Single Serve Coffee Cups (12-Count): Amazon.com: Grocery & Gourmet Food

Step two, unlock the monopoly and let the market drive own prices. We'll see if that happens.

Still drinking it in my fill-your-own K-cup thingie for now, but oh how I do long to fill up my local landfill.

Trying my first TH K-Cup as I write. Very pleased. It's expensive (around $.75 each) but it's right at the top of my K-Cup preferences immediately, and is very faithful to the bagged/canned stuff carrying the same name (I'm looking at you, Dunkin Donuts).
QuikSand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2013, 07:42 PM   #12175
Passacaglia
Coordinator

What's a fill-your-own K-cup thingie?
Passacaglia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2013, 07:44 PM   #12176
Matthean
Grizzled Veteran

No words.

Old 10-28-2013, 07:57 PM   #12177
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

My wife just had me max out my life insurance available through my work policy. Should I be worried?
Old 10-28-2013, 08:00 PM   #12178
DaddyTorgo
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lathum View Post
My wife just had me max out my life insurance available through my work policy. Should I be worried?

Sleep with one eye open
Gripping your pillow tight.
Old 10-28-2013, 08:01 PM   #12179
cuervo72
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by Passacaglia View Post
What's a fill-your-own K-cup thingie?

http://www.boscovs.com/StoreFrontWeb...Number=1955375
Old 10-28-2013, 08:03 PM   #12180
spleen1015
Coordinator

[quote=Matthean;2868640]No words.

I bet it is funny as hell.
Old 10-28-2013, 08:05 PM   #12181
molson
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matthean View Post
No words.

I think I'd watch that movie. It seems like it's not taking itself too seriously and that it's portraying two hilariously washed up fighters, as opposed to two heroic figures that "still have one more fight left in them" or whatever. I mean, I'm sure that George Foreman v. Larry Holmes or Mike Tyson in 2013 would generate at least $100k for each fighter, so it's not even that far fetched.
molson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2013, 04:48 PM   #12182
cartman
Death Herald

I've got a riding mower, but I also have a self-propelled push mower as I have a fairly big area that the riding mower can't get to. I bought it almost 9 years ago, and it is finally time to do a carb rebuild on it. Looked up the parts, and rebuild kit is $28, while a new replacement carb is $40. No brainer to just do the drop and replace, instead of fiddling with a rebuild.
Old 10-30-2013, 09:55 PM   #12183
Easy Mac

Is it that hard to close your car door if someone is waiting to get into the car next to you? I could maybe understand if you are having a life-changing conversation, but if you're just randomly chatting with the person in the seat next to you? I literally had to wait over 3 minutes for the person to stop talking, get out of their car, and close the door so I could open my door.

And yes, I did ask if they minded closing their door, to which they said OK, then proceeded to talk for another 30 seconds before finally exiting the car and closing the door.
Easy Mac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2013, 10:04 PM   #12184
DaddyTorgo
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Easy Mac View Post
Is it that hard to close your car door if someone is waiting to get into the car next to you? I could maybe understand if you are having a life-changing conversation, but if you're just randomly chatting with the person in the seat next to you? I literally had to wait over 3 minutes for the person to stop talking, get out of their car, and close the door so I could open my door.

And yes, I did ask if they minded closing their door, to which they said OK, then proceeded to talk for another 30 seconds before finally exiting the car and closing the door.

People like this should DIAF.
Old 10-31-2013, 12:09 PM   #12185
JeeberD
General Manager

It's seems like I'm constantly hot the past couple of weeks. No matter what I'm doing or how I'm dressed, I'm burning up. I must be going through male menopause or something...

Old 10-31-2013, 12:30 PM   #12186
Kodos
Resident Alien

Manopause?
Old 10-31-2013, 12:32 PM   #12187
Passacaglia
Coordinator

Quote:

Cool, thanks. So what do you put in, just regular coffee grounds?
Passacaglia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2013, 02:22 PM   #12188
cuervo72
Head Coach

Yep, regular coffee.
Old 10-31-2013, 02:52 PM   #12189
Suburban Rhythm
Pro Starter

For Halloween, my son decided, about a week ago, he wanted to be a fox (Thanks "What does the fox say?"!!) As a backup plan, he'd wear his hockey stuff for his costume, we'd paint a black eye, etc

Fast forward to yesterday, even though it was promised to be delivered before 10/31, no sign of it.

So about 2:30pm, I have this text conversation:

Me: Any sign of the fox?

Mrs SR: Nope...UPS guy gets here at 3

Me: Should I be concerned you know exactly when the UPS gets there?

...no response since, it's now 3:50
Suburban Rhythm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2013, 02:57 PM   #12190
TCY Junkie
College Prospect

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suburban Rhythm View Post
For Halloween, my son decided, about a week ago, he wanted to be a fox (Thanks "What does the fox say?"!!) As a backup plan, he'd wear his hockey stuff for his costume, we'd paint a black eye, etc

Fast forward to yesterday, even though it was promised to be delivered before 10/31, no sign of it.

That's a tough break

TCY Junkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2013, 02:59 PM   #12191
Suburban Rhythm
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by TCY Junkie View Post
That's a tough break

I know...I was hoping the fox costume would have been here by now too
Suburban Rhythm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2013, 02:59 PM   #12192
DaddyTorgo
Hall Of Famer

LOL
DaddyTorgo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2013, 03:03 PM   #12193
cartman
Death Herald

Quote:

NSFW:

Last edited by cartman : 10-31-2013 at 03:03 PM.
Old 10-31-2013, 05:33 PM   #12194
Solecismic
Solecismic Software

Unexpectedly fun: BBC - Autos - Can you identify these cars from film and TV?
Solecismic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2013, 12:14 AM   #12195
PilotMan
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by JeeberD View Post
It's seems like I'm constantly hot the past couple of weeks. No matter what I'm doing or how I'm dressed, I'm burning up. I must be going through male menopause or something...

It could be a high blood pressure issue. Probably not, but something to consider.

Like Steam?
Join the FOFC Steam group here: http://steamcommunity.com/groups/FOFConSteam

PilotMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2013, 01:22 AM   #12196
SackAttack
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kodos View Post
Manopause?

Damnit, Kodos. I was gonna say that.
SackAttack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2013, 01:26 AM   #12197
Suicane75
Coordinator

I've got an unhealthy attraction to Dave Foley in drag.
Suicane75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2013, 10:55 AM   #12198
JeeberD
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by PilotMan View Post
It could be a high blood pressure issue. Probably not, but something to consider.

I got my blood pressure taken last week when I got my flu shot, no issues there. I appreciate the heads up, though.

Old 11-01-2013, 11:25 AM   #12199
Honolulu_Blue
Hockey Boy

I work in the Renaissance Center in Detroit, which is a large complex consisting of six office towers surrounding a Marriot hotel. There's a food court, a couple of nice restaurants, shops, etc. It's General Motors world headquarters.

There is a anime convention going on here right now and through the weekend. The place is teeming with people dressed in all sorts of costumes, mainly anime stuff, but also computer game characters, my little ponies, I saw an Ultra Man and many others.

I love this weekend.
Old 11-01-2013, 12:05 PM   #12200
Chief Rum
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
I know...I was hoping the fox costume would have been here by now too

So, did this fox costume ever end up showing up?

I would rather be wrong...Than live in the shadows of your song...My mind is open wide...And now I'm ready to start...You're not sure...You open the door...And step out into the dark...Now I'm ready.
Chief Rum is offline   Reply With Quote