Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Main Forums > Off Topic
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 02-22-2015, 06:24 AM   #1151
Grover
Pro Starter

Kouyate is such a monster. He's got three Premier League goals. Against Spurs, United and Arsenal. Has a motor akin to Yaya Toure. Can play DC/DM/MC with ease, never stops running. So much fun to watch.

FOFC Greatest Band Draft Runner Up
FOFC Movie Remake Draft Winner
FOFC Movie Comedy Draft Winner
Grover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2015, 09:26 AM   #1152
Grover
Pro Starter

I think it's time to put Tim Howard out to pasture.

Old 02-22-2015, 09:42 AM   #1153
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grover View Post
I think it's time to put Tim Howard out to pasture.

That second goal especially was really weak
Lathum is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2015, 10:24 AM   #1154
Easy Mac

Southampton getting royally screwed. 2 clear penalties not given. I guess you have to be a top 5 side to get those calls.
Easy Mac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2015, 11:00 AM   #1155
Easy Mac

Jesus, the ref refuses to give Southampton a penalty
Old 02-22-2015, 11:05 AM   #1156
TroyF
Coordinator

Ummm, I think the ref should be sending Southampton some roses, a nice dinner, and a diamond if he's going to be this rough with them. This makes the Chelsea fiasco from yesterday look tame. What are we at 4 or 5 along with the GK having to be sent off? They are getting royally screwed.
TroyF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2015, 11:48 AM   #1157
Easy Mac

Ive been waiting for a few minutes for the commentators to mention the conditions after a few players had nearly made misplays, and how it could lead to a goal... well, there it was
Old 02-22-2015, 12:46 PM   #1158
ISiddiqui
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Easy Mac View Post
Southampton getting royally screwed. 2 clear penalties not given. I guess you have to be a top 5 side to get those calls.

Well, Southampton is a Top 5 side . Chelsea also got screwed yesterday (though less than Southampton).
Old 02-22-2015, 12:55 PM   #1159
miked
College Starter

So I don't know all that much about the Premier League even though I watch it every weekend. I'm teaching in Ireland this summer and taking the family, we'll be there for 6 weeks. It would appear the BPL ends at the end of May and doesn't start back up until mid-August. We will be in Ireland from mid June until the 1st week of August (like the 3rd or 4th). Are there games in between? It's such a quick trip I'd love to take my daughter to London for a long weekend and catch a game but it doesn't appear to be happening.
Old 02-22-2015, 12:59 PM   #1160
SirFozzie
Hall Of Famer

Maybe a preseason friendly...
Old 02-22-2015, 01:07 PM   #1161
Katon
College Benchwarmer

Quote:
Originally Posted by ISiddiqui View Post
Well, Southampton is a Top 5 side . Chelsea also got screwed yesterday (though less than Southampton).

Chelsea haven't been able to buy a penalty all year. I think we've had fairly average luck in terms of cards called and uncalled (apart from the Ashley Barnes farce), but if Atkinson had been competent yesterday we'd have doubled our season total of penalties in a single afternoon. And it's not because we're not getting fouled - we've had multiple people get booked for diving on what replays showed should have been penalties.

So no, EasyMac, being a top team really, really doesn't guarantee you'll get those calls.
Katon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2015, 01:56 PM   #1162
whomario
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by miked View Post
So I don't know all that much about the Premier League even though I watch it every weekend. I'm teaching in Ireland this summer and taking the family, we'll be there for 6 weeks. It would appear the BPL ends at the end of May and doesn't start back up until mid-August. We will be in Ireland from mid June until the 1st week of August (like the 3rd or 4th). Are there games in between? It's such a quick trip I'd love to take my daughter to London for a long weekend and catch a game but it doesn't appear to be happening.

it is very likely that there are a ton of friendlies to choose from either between EPL clubs or EPL clubs hosting top teams from other leagues, just check some team-homepages in early June or so for details. Added bonus: likely cheaper and easier to actually get a ticket for then league games

Heck, there might be EPL teams playing friendlies in Ireland as well (although the local league is going march-october, so i am not sure on that)

Insider-tip: Dundalk is the irish team in next seasons Champions League qualification, playing their home game of the 2nd qualifying round either on 14/15 or 21/22 of July. Not going to face a big time club and attendance might not even be outstanding, but i visited a couple of these sort of games and always had a great time.
“The only people for me are the mad ones, the ones who are mad to live, mad to talk, mad to be saved, desirous of everything at the same time, the ones who never yawn or say a commonplace thing, but burn, burn, burn, like fabulous yellow roman candles exploding like spiders across the stars and in the middle you see the blue centerlight pop and everybody goes "Awww!”
whomario is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2015, 11:35 AM   #1163
flere-imsaho
Coordinator

The always-entertaining Brian Phillips summarizes FIFA's upcoming election: The Men Behind the Curtain: Inside FIFA’s Sinister (and Pretty Entertaining!) Presidential Race «
flere-imsaho is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2015, 02:14 PM   #1164
ISiddiqui
Hall Of Famer

While Nov/Dec for 2022 WC was already basically a done deal, the dates were not set.

Quote:
There has already been speculation that the tournament could start on 26 November and end on 23 December.
BBC Sport - 2022 World Cup: Qatar event set for November and December

Of course the final dates will be decided in March when the formal vote is held on a Nov/Dec World Cup.
Old 02-24-2015, 02:22 PM   #1165
SirFozzie
Hall Of Famer

Most obvious joke from today's matches so far:

World Soccer Talk ‏@worldsoccertalk 40s40 seconds ago
Suarez playing with real bite here tonight. Two goals to the good already and he looks hungry for more. #FCB 2-0 #MCFC 34'
Old 02-24-2015, 04:14 PM   #1166
MIJB#19
Coordinator

Dortmund got lucky with the Chiellini gift, while Juventus got lucky with Pogba not being sent off, twice. And did Manchester City get lucky, witnessing one of Messi's biggest misses ever. At least it keeps the second legs somewhat open...

Last edited by MIJB#19 : 02-24-2015 at 04:14 PM.
MIJB#19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2015, 12:13 PM   #1167
kingfc22
Head Coach

Okay Gunners. Take care of business today with a nice 2-0 win please.
Old 02-25-2015, 02:56 PM   #1168
kingfc22
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by kingfc22 View Post
Okay Gunners. Take care of business today with a nice 2-0 win please.

Or not...
Old 02-25-2015, 03:25 PM   #1169
rowech
Pro Starter

I have never thought this before, but I really wonder if several Arsenal players were on the take in this game. Their back four have been so bad it really borders on unbelievable.
rowech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2015, 07:39 PM   #1170
miami_fan
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by rowech View Post
I have never thought this before, but I really wonder if several Arsenal players were on the take in this game. Their back four have been so bad it really borders on unbelievable.

Or Stan Kroenke has more in common with Mike Ashley than many would like to think.
"The blind soldier fought for me in this war. The least I can do now is fight for him. I have eyes. He hasn’t. I have a voice on the radio, he hasn’t. I was born a white man. And until a colored man is a full citizen, like me, I haven’t the leisure to enjoy the freedom that colored man risked his life to maintain for me. I don’t own what I have until he owns an equal share of it. Until somebody beats me and blinds me, I am in his debt."- Orson Welles August 11, 1946
miami_fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2015, 07:31 AM   #1171
flere-imsaho
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by rowech View Post
I have never thought this before, but I really wonder if several Arsenal players were on the take in this game.

We covered this in the World Cup thread, but simply put the amount you'd have to bribe an EPL player for them to consider it from a risk/reward standpoint makes it very unlikely.
Old 02-26-2015, 10:36 AM   #1172
ISiddiqui
Hall Of Famer

In the somewhat interesting broadcasting soccer news:

Sky Sports to broadcast MLS matches in the UK | Soccer By Ives

Quote:
Sky Sports, a leading broadcaster in the UK, will air two regular season MLS matches per week under a new deal, MLS announced Wednesday. The four-year multimedia deal takes effect when the 2015 season starts in March.

File this under something I didn't really think I'd see. Anyways, reactions to this are funny. Some folks saying "we don't want to watch League 1 quality play" while others are happy about football year 'round, as the meat of the MLS season is while the Premier League is on break. Two matches a week is quite bold - heck, ESPN is only doing one match a week in the US!
Old 02-26-2015, 11:04 AM   #1173
flere-imsaho
Coordinator

So, FIFA has taken the 2021 Confederations Cup away from Qatar: FIFA Takes 2021 Confederations Cup Away From Qatar

It's usually given to the WC host country as a way to do a "dry-run" for the WC.

Such a FIFA move.
Old 02-26-2015, 01:07 PM   #1174
BishopMVP
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by flere-imsaho View Post
We covered this in the World Cup thread, but simply put the amount you'd have to bribe an EPL player for them to consider it from a risk/reward standpoint makes it very unlikely.
I actually think it'd be more likely in the World Cup when you consider some of the relative minnows who make it. It seems like Panama or one of the non-Egypt/Ghana/CIV African teams have at least one starter who's never played outside the country or gotten a big payday.

Nice to see the MLS deal. Actually watching teams play is the best way to improve perception of MLS. I just hope they're playing games by May...
BishopMVP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2015, 01:29 PM   #1175
ISiddiqui
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by BishopMVP View Post
Nice to see the MLS deal. Actually watching teams play is the best way to improve perception of MLS. I just hope they're playing games by May...

Seriously. Well, they have a month... eep.

Maybe we can bribe the MLS owners with some of that Arsenal bribe money .
Old 02-26-2015, 01:55 PM   #1176
flere-imsaho
Coordinator

Quote:
I actually think it'd be more likely in the World Cup when you consider some of the relative minnows who make it.

Good point. In the WC thread we were talking specifically about the likelihood the Brazil players were bribed to throw the semi-final. So not minnows in that case.
Old 02-26-2015, 02:07 PM   #1177
ISiddiqui
Hall Of Famer

And lets be fair, minnows throwing games isn't necessarily going to register that much.
Old 02-26-2015, 02:23 PM   #1178
ISiddiqui
Hall Of Famer

Chelsea just signed a shirt sponsorship deal with Yokohama worth 40mil pounds a season (second largest in the Prem):

Chelsea Announce £40 Million-Per Year Shirt Deal with Yokohama Tires | Bleacher Report

That'll help with FFP...
Old 02-26-2015, 02:28 PM   #1179
BishopMVP
Coordinator

Oh god, yeah that was a ridiculous debate. But I do think even a Trinidad & Tobago throwing a game at a WC would be a huge deal.

Regarding FFP what stops these foreign sugar daddies from having their company sponsor the team at an exorbitant rate?
BishopMVP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2015, 02:40 PM   #1180
ISiddiqui
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Regarding FFP what stops these foreign sugar daddies from having their company sponsor the team at an exorbitant rate?

I may be wrong, but I do think there were some controls in place on that?

Frankly, I think the FFP is ridiculous nonsense, but YMMV.
Old 02-26-2015, 05:57 PM   #1181
Katon
College Benchwarmer

I think sponsorships with that sort of conflict of interest are only counted for FFP up to the "market rate". How UEFA calculates the market rate, I'm not entirely sure.
Katon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2015, 09:20 PM   #1182
Marc Vaughan
SI Games

Quote:
Oh god, yeah that was a ridiculous debate. But I do think even a Trinidad & Tobago throwing a game at a WC would be a huge deal.

There are various 'dodges' which have been done in the past and undoubtably will be again to circumvent all sorts of things, the sale of the Real Madrid training ground a few years back for a ludicrous price springs to mind.
Marc Vaughan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2015, 10:00 AM   #1183
ISiddiqui
Hall Of Famer

I think as we go on, it becomes more and more apparent that the FFP was mainly created to solidify the position of those who are currently at the top and prevent any up and comers (through billionaire money) from arising.
Old 02-28-2015, 06:03 AM   #1184
flere-imsaho
Coordinator

Quote:
I think as we go on, it becomes more and more apparent that the FFP was mainly created to solidify the position of those who are currently at the top and prevent any up and comers (through billionaire money) from arising.

This is quite possibly the most cynical thing I've seen you write on here. You may also be right.
Old 02-28-2015, 06:05 AM   #1185
flere-imsaho
Coordinator

Quote:

But the percentage likelihood still isn't that high, because in most cases no one's going to bribe T&T to throw a WC game they're almost certain to lose anyway.
Old 02-28-2015, 06:17 AM   #1186
SirFozzie
Hall Of Famer

You need to read this.

The Fix: Soccer and Organized Crime: Declan Hill: 9780771041396: Amazon.com: Books

In a lot of cases, it's not win/lose, it's how much.

and if you believe what you read, there was a World Cup fix happening right in front of the author.
Old 02-28-2015, 08:05 AM   #1187
Grover
Pro Starter

This is absolutely embarrassing. The players know Allardyce is out at the end of the term and they've completely stopped trying.

Show some bloody pride at home.

Old 02-28-2015, 08:20 AM   #1188
MrBug708
Head Coach

What a weak second yellow on Murray that was
MrBug708 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2015, 08:23 AM   #1189
Grover
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrBug708 View Post
What a weak second yellow on Murray that was

But it was his 3rd or 4th foul after the yellow. Warranted second yellow at that point.

Regardless, you're beating us all over the park today.

Old 02-28-2015, 08:30 AM   #1190
MrBug708
Head Coach

WHU has been falling like flies, but that elbow was pretty bad looking
MrBug708 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2015, 10:11 AM   #1191
ISiddiqui
Hall Of Famer

The Mirror is trying to stir up shit (shocking, I know ).

Liverpool news and transfers: Mario Balotelli set for MLS switch after frustrating season? - Mirror Online

Quote:
Mario Balotelli is being lined up for a shock exit from Liverpool, with MLS outfit Orlando City set to open talks for his services, report the Metro.

Though, that'd be quite hilarious. On the other hand, would likely negate the good press Orlando City have gotten. Balotelli is someone people would love to hate.
Old 03-02-2015, 10:59 AM   #1192
miami_fan
Coordinator

Once you have played for Inter, Manchester City, Milan and Liverpool, FC Orlando is the next logical progression.
"The blind soldier fought for me in this war. The least I can do now is fight for him. I have eyes. He hasn’t. I have a voice on the radio, he hasn’t. I was born a white man. And until a colored man is a full citizen, like me, I haven’t the leisure to enjoy the freedom that colored man risked his life to maintain for me. I don’t own what I have until he owns an equal share of it. Until somebody beats me and blinds me, I am in his debt."- Orson Welles August 11, 1946
miami_fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2015, 01:46 PM   #1193
ISiddiqui
Hall Of Famer

Starting to get preeeety worried now. 3 days until the MLS season is supposed to start and absolutely NO news about the progress of discussions between the owners and players.

edit: and just as I say am reading reports saying that this afternoon's CBA session is going to be key to determining what will happen. So I guess we have to chew our fingernails and wait.

Last edited by ISiddiqui : 03-03-2015 at 01:51 PM.
ISiddiqui is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2015, 02:07 PM   #1194
ISiddiqui
Hall Of Famer

Soccer reporters on Twitter are reporting the league basically is completely digging in their heels. The league's only offer was Free Agency can be a possibility for players who are over 32 years old and have spent 10 years with the same MLS club. It's a slap in the face.
Old 03-03-2015, 02:14 PM   #1195
SirFozzie
Hall Of Famer

yeah, strike is inevitable, and will affect CONCACAF Champions League too.

edit: the owners offer would affect ONE player (Brad Davis). That's it.

Fuck MLS. Their offer is the equivalent is "We'll stop pissing on you 0.1% of the time, but we still want to piss on you 99.9% of the time"

Last edited by SirFozzie : 03-03-2015 at 02:18 PM.
SirFozzie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2015, 02:20 PM   #1196
ISiddiqui
Hall Of Famer

I mean seriously how much would it hurt MLS to offer Free Agency for players who have been in the league for 5 years (or something) with matching rights for the original team? There is still a salary cap. I mean really!
Old 03-03-2015, 02:29 PM   #1197
ISiddiqui
Hall Of Famer

Though it seems some on Twitter is saying that the fact that MLS offered ANY form of Free Agency is a big deal for the players. The Players Union can hammer the owners on saying Free Agency can't happen in a Single Entity because the owners just offered a form of it.
Old 03-04-2015, 11:08 AM   #1198
ISiddiqui
Hall Of Famer

So the owners have gotten down to 28/8 (in MLS, not just one team). That's substantial!

It seems they are hammering out currently the length of the CBA (owners want it to go 8 years) and Salary Cap. If I was the players, I'd take 28/8 in a heartbeat, but I'd likely want a 5-6 year CBA on it.
Old 03-04-2015, 12:21 PM   #1199
path12
Coordinator

Quote:
Though it seems some on Twitter is saying that the fact that MLS offered ANY form of Free Agency is a big deal for the players. The Players Union can hammer the owners on saying Free Agency can't happen in a Single Entity because the owners just offered a form of it.

Read something that said no other sports league has been able to get free agency of any kind without a strike in the past so the fact that they got this is excellent........though clearly I think the players are right to push for a 5 or 6 year/26 yo sort of mark. I am always on the side of players/workers in bargaining situations though.

Have been expecting a short strike for awhile and darn if I'm starting to think this will start on time. Nice! Supposed to be great weather here Sunday evening!
Old 03-04-2015, 01:06 PM   #1200
ISiddiqui
Hall Of Famer

Yeah, there seems to be a ton of progress in a short amount of time.

It doesn't hurt that Orlando has sold 60,000 tickets for its first game ever this Sunday against NYCFC (I'm sure that has somewhat divided the owners' interest somewhat, and was a brilliant time for the Players to push for FA).