Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Archives > FOFC Archive
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 05-08-2009, 10:08 PM   #1151
sterlingice
Hall Of Famer

MLBN loves to abuse their rights to drop us into Vin Scully Dodger games. Not that I'm complaining at all

SI

Janos: "Only America could produce an imbecile of your caliber!"
Freakazoid: "That's because we make lots of things better than other people!"

sterlingice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2009, 10:20 PM   #1152
USFLTecmo
H.S. Freshman Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by sterlingice View Post
Amazing catch by Granderson. They just showed it on MLBN

Ryan Braun with a 2-run homer in the bottom of the 8th to turn a 2-1 deficit into a 3-2 lead for the Brewers vs the Cubs.

SI

Braun's contract may be the best investment the Brewers have made in a very long time.

I also like what I see from Hoffman so far.
Old 05-08-2009, 10:29 PM   #1153
JS19
College Prospect

what's Braun's contract looking like? I know the Cardinals got a steal with Pujols, I think his was something like 7 yrs/100M. The Mets have David Wright at 6 yrs/55M, and I still don't understand Longoria's at 9 yrs/44M.
JS19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2009, 11:38 PM   #1154
DeToxRox
Head Coach

So can people finally admit Curtis Granderson is better then Grady Sizemore? That's all I ask.
DeToxRox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2009, 11:47 PM   #1155
USFLTecmo
H.S. Freshman Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by JS19 View Post
what's Braun's contract looking like? I know the Cardinals got a steal with Pujols, I think his was something like 7 yrs/100M. The Mets have David Wright at 6 yrs/55M, and I still don't understand Longoria's at 9 yrs/44M.

Braun's at 8 years, $45 million, and this is year 2. It buys out three years of his potential free agency and all of his early arbitration years.
Old 05-09-2009, 01:52 AM   #1156
Crapshoot
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeToxRox View Post
So can people finally admit Curtis Granderson is better then Grady Sizemore? That's all I ask.

Based of one amazing catch? NO. Granderson is a great player, but he can't hit lefties - in his career, he has hit .226/.287/.394 against them.

Overall, Granderson has a .279/.348/.495 slash; Sizemore is at .277/.368/.489. Those 20 extra points of OBP are fairly meaningful.

None of this takes away from the fact that he's a very very good player; Sizemore's just a little better.
Crapshoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2009, 04:54 AM   #1157
Chief Rum
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Anyhoo... back to baseball! Royals start on a 5 game west coast road trip with 3 in Anaheim followed by 2 in Oakland. Meche, Greinke, and Davies for the Angels series.

SI

Good start for the Angels tonight. Palmer keeps pitching well. Go figure.

Regardless, ever since I saw this schedule, tomorrow's the game I have been waiting for. Greinke versus Saunders. Should be a good one.

I would rather be wrong...Than live in the shadows of your song...My mind is open wide...And now I'm ready to start...You're not sure...You open the door...And step out into the dark...Now I'm ready.
Chief Rum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2009, 08:40 AM   #1158
samifan24
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeToxRox View Post

No way. I doubt you'll find many people that agree with you on this, either.
Old 05-09-2009, 12:36 PM   #1159
sterlingice
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chief Rum View Post
Good start for the Angels tonight. Palmer keeps pitching well. Go figure.

Regardless, ever since I saw this schedule, tomorrow's the game I have been waiting for. Greinke versus Saunders. Should be a good one.

Yeah, it's amazing how good we can make mediocre pitchers look a lot of the time. We had a good run over the last week or two with the offense but this looked a lot more like the first month of the season.

I don't know how on God's green earth that was a HR and not an error. Meche deserved much better, at least to his stats. The Angels had something like a .500 BABIP and just dinked and dunked the Royals to death with seeing eye ground balls. And then got a 2-run inside the park home run on Jose Guillen not being able to catch a fly.

SI

Last edited by sterlingice : 05-09-2009 at 12:39 PM.
Old 05-09-2009, 12:47 PM   #1160
sterlingice
Hall Of Famer

Ah, the Onion

Royals Unable To Find Themselves In Standings | The Onion - America's Finest News Source

"KANSAS CITY, MO—Players and executives with the 16-11 Royals filed a grievance with MLB officials Tuesday after they could not find themselves anywhere in the league's official standings. "We looked in all the usual places: third place, fourth place, even fifth place, and we didn't see our name anywhere," said Royals GM Dayton Moore, who added that he even peeked at the AL West standings to see if perhaps the team had been moved to a different division. "I could have sworn we'd been playing really well this year. Why would Commissioner Selig try to hide us? Did we do something wrong? Let me see that paper again." Moore explained that he and everyone in the front office were "very curious" to see Kansas City's other baseball team, which is currently in first place."

SI

Old 05-09-2009, 01:24 PM   #1161
Crapshoot
Grizzled Veteran

I LOL'ed at that.
Old 05-09-2009, 01:42 PM   #1162
Chief Rum
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Yeah, it's amazing how good we can make mediocre pitchers look a lot of the time. We had a good run over the last week or two with the offense but this looked a lot more like the first month of the season.

I don't know how on God's green earth that was a HR and not an error. Meche deserved much better, at least to his stats. The Angels had something like a .500 BABIP and just dinked and dunked the Royals to death with seeing eye ground balls. And then got a 2-run inside the park home run on Jose Guillen not being able to catch a fly.

SI

If it makes you feel any better, that mediocre pitcher also outdueled Sabathia at Yankee Stadium last week.

I would rather be wrong...Than live in the shadows of your song...My mind is open wide...And now I'm ready to start...You're not sure...You open the door...And step out into the dark...Now I'm ready.
Old 05-09-2009, 02:28 PM   #1163
ISiddiqui
Hall Of Famer

Mets up 8-1 against the Pirates as they go for their 6th straight win. Good week for the Mets, sweeping the Braves and Phills in two 2 game series.
Old 05-09-2009, 02:39 PM   #1164
Atocep
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by ISiddiqui View Post
Mets up 8-1 against the Pirates as they go for their 6th straight win. Good week for the Mets, sweeping the Braves and Phills in two 2 game series.

I don't think the mets got a bloop hit the entire month of april, but they're making up for it today.
Atocep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2009, 07:37 PM   #1165
Mizzou B-ball fan
General Manager

Already got the DVR set up for the Greinke start in 30 minutes just in case Mrs. Mizzou is looking for some one on one time tonight. Hopefully some of the people that haven't been able to watch him yet can get a glimpse of him tonight. It's incredible to watch.
Mizzou B-ball fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2009, 08:39 PM   #1166
sterlingice
Hall Of Famer

Looking at Gameday, the strike zone today is really small. A lot of the stuff that's in the strike zone is being called a ball.

SI

Old 05-09-2009, 10:00 PM   #1167
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

Chone Figgins with an amazing play to keep the 1-0 lead for Saunders
Lathum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2009, 01:41 AM   #1168
Chief Rum
Hall Of Famer

Well, I was working so I didn't see it, but I guess that game was one for the baseball purists.

Saunders outduels Greinke in a 1-0 game, and both pitchers go the distance. How great is that? Is it 1975?

Old 05-10-2009, 09:37 AM   #1169
sterlingice
Hall Of Famer

I was listening to it on MLB Audio and watching on Gameday. Frustrating to "watch" from our perspective but a good game. We just have too many holes in the lineup right now.

Tough break for Greinke. He gives up one run on a sac fly. His ERA rises all the way from 0.40 to 0.51 with the 8 inning "complete game", his 4th of the season. And still gets the loss because we can't push across a thing.

Secretly, I hope this purges our bandwagon a little now. A couple of blogs and boards I follow have just been inundated with foul mouthed little morons over the past couple of weeks. These are the type of people who type giant "@#$^%^#$%^#$%^#$%^#$" posts when someone strikes out in the 3rd inning. Or my favorite are the ones who think every player on the team sucks because they don't know baseball enough to know that it's a game of failure, which is why the successes are that much more great. One thing you could definitely say about Royals fans during the last 10 years was that they certainly were knowledgeable because anyone with any other reason than a love of baseball had long since gotten off that bus.

SI

Old 05-10-2009, 11:19 AM   #1170
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

Quote:
Well, I was working so I didn't see it, but I guess that game was one for the baseball purists.

Saunders outduels Greinke in a 1-0 game, and both pitchers go the distance. How great is that? Is it 1975?

It was a fantastic game.
Old 05-10-2009, 12:08 PM   #1171
Mizzou B-ball fan
General Manager

Quote:

Loved it, except for the part about the Royals being on the wrong end of that score.

Hilarious to say this, but Greinke wasn't nearly as pinpoint last night as he has been. The breaking balls were up and weren't going for strikes. With that said, it's hard to complain about that performance.

I think anyone who complains about the Royals lineup after last night is just as ridiculous. They had chances last night and just couldn't convert. Tip your hat to the pitcher and move on to tomorrow.
Old 05-10-2009, 02:19 PM   #1172
JS19
College Prospect

I really can't stand "the wave". Watching the Mets/Pirates game, it's a 3-2 game, man on 1st with 1 out in the 7th, and the fans are doing the wave.
Old 05-10-2009, 04:05 PM   #1173
ISiddiqui
Hall Of Famer

Woot! 7 in a row for the Mets and now in 1st place!
Old 05-10-2009, 05:06 PM   #1174
sterlingice
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by JS19 View Post
I really can't stand "the wave". Watching the Mets/Pirates game, it's a 3-2 game, man on 1st with 1 out in the 7th, and the fans are doing the wave.

I've always hated the wave as a baseball cheer. It's a football cheer for round stadiums with no opening in the outfield. It just looks dumb in baseball

SI

Old 05-10-2009, 05:47 PM   #1175
sterlingice
Hall Of Famer

Oof. Rough series for the Royals. A pair of one run losses after the "inside the park home run" loss Friday night. Time to get the hell out of Anaheim

SI

Old 05-11-2009, 06:37 AM   #1176
Ksyrup
This guy has posted so much, his fingers are about to fall off.

Quote:
Originally Posted by samifan24 View Post
No way. I doubt you'll find many people that agree with you on this, either.

Neither Granderson or Sizemore is as good as we wanted to believe they were (or could be) a few years ago. Sizemore has been AWFUL this year, and his numbers are starting to flatline/decline as he reaches what is supposed to be his peak performance years. Granderson's probably not what he looked like in 2007, but Sizemore may not ever live up to what he showed in 2006, either. What's most troubling is that both of their averages have declined for several straight years. It'll be interesting to see what Sixemore does the rest of this year, because he's been a huge disappointment so far.
M's pitcher Miguel Batista: "Now, I feel like I've had everything. I've talked pitching with Sandy Koufax, had Kenny G play for me. Maybe if I could have an interview with God, then I'd be served. I'd be complete."
Ksyrup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2009, 07:11 AM   #1177
Mizzou B-ball fan
General Manager

Quote:
Oof. Rough series for the Royals. A pair of one run losses after the "inside the park home run" loss Friday night. Time to get the hell out of Anaheim

SI

Perhaps you didn't see, but it got a bit worse. Soria went on the 15-day DL yesterday. The good news is that it's retroactive, meaning he can come off as soon as a week from now. Cruz should fill in fine in the meanwhile. More good news is that this move finally gave the opportunity to bring up Hochaver. Hochaver will start tonight and Ponson is headed for the bullpen. Hopefully Hochaver will keep pitching well and make sure that Ponson stays in the bullpen.

Amazing to see a pitcher who can hit a spot with a 95 MPH pitch turn around and fail to complete a simple throw to second base to start a double play that would have won the game for the Royals yesterday. Both the second baseman and shortstop were there and he didn't hit either one of them.

Last edited by Mizzou B-ball fan : 05-11-2009 at 07:11 AM.
Old 05-11-2009, 08:29 AM   #1178
samifan24
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ksyrup View Post
Neither Granderson or Sizemore is as good as we wanted to believe they were (or could be) a few years ago. Sizemore has been AWFUL this year, and his numbers are starting to flatline/decline as he reaches what is supposed to be his peak performance years. Granderson's probably not what he looked like in 2007, but Sizemore may not ever live up to what he showed in 2006, either. What's most troubling is that both of their averages have declined for several straight years. It'll be interesting to see what Sixemore does the rest of this year, because he's been a huge disappointment so far.

Sizemore has been a disappointment, yes, but I'm not ready to say his career is in a steady decline. He does everything well except manage his strikeout numbers. He's a perennial All-Star at a premium position and every team in the league would take him, warts and all.
Old 05-11-2009, 08:29 AM   #1179
Butter
Coordinator

Hate to break up this Royals lovefest, but the Reds finally started hitting, and were one run away from sweeping the division leading Cards over the weekend. I think the NL Central is going to be the division to watch all year... 4 good teams, but nobody great (unless the Cubs can put it together at some point).
Old 05-11-2009, 08:36 AM   #1180
sterlingice
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mizzou B-ball fan View Post
Perhaps you didn't see, but it got a bit worse. Soria went on the 15-day DL yesterday. The good news is that it's retroactive, meaning he can come off as soon as a week from now. Cruz should fill in fine in the meanwhile. More good news is that this move finally gave the opportunity to bring up Hochaver. Hochaver will start tonight and Ponson is headed for the bullpen. Hopefully Hochaver will keep pitching well and make sure that Ponson stays in the bullpen.

Amazing to see a pitcher who can hit a spot with a 95 MPH pitch turn around and fail to complete a simple throw to second base to start a double play that would have won the game for the Royals yesterday. Both the second baseman and shortstop were there and he didn't hit either one of them.

Yeah, I saw. And rotator cuff problems can be squirrely so that's a real cause for concern.

As for Hochevar, in the big picture, if he has 2 more weeks to go on his arby clock, I’d rather have him down. During that 2 week stretch, Banny and Ponson can try to “out-duel” each other about who gets set down when his alarm goes off as they have been. Dating back 3 starts each, to when both looked in danger of losing their jobs, they have easily pitched well enough to win 4, if not 5, of the 6 starts. He’s not some magic cure all panacea. He’s going to be, at best, our number 3- not some magic Greinke-esque pitcher.

SI

Old 05-11-2009, 09:01 AM   #1181
Mizzou B-ball fan
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by Butter_of_69 View Post
Hate to break up this Royals lovefest, but the Reds finally started hitting, and were one run away from sweeping the division leading Cards over the weekend. I think the NL Central is going to be the division to watch all year... 4 good teams, but nobody great (unless the Cubs can put it together at some point).

For the record, a Royals fan will never complain about a fan who brags about a three game sweep of the Cardinals. In fact, it's mandatory that all fans do so to allow Royals fans to enjoy it as well.

Congrats!
Old 05-11-2009, 09:17 AM   #1182
lordscarlet
Pro Starter

After a 5-17 April, the Nationals are 5-3.

Their rankings right now: OBP #5, SLG #8, AVG #7, OPS #7

Zimmerman, now on a 28 game hitting streak is 5th in the NL in AVG. Dunn is 3rd in MLB in HR.

The ERAs for the SP have come down a bit, but the bullpen is still struggling. Daniel Cabrera needs to be gone. Bring up Ballister, Bergmann or one of the other young guys. He is 0-3 with 22 BB and 10 Ks.

"...the better half of the Moores..." -cthomer5000
lordscarlet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2009, 09:22 AM   #1183
Ksyrup

Daniel Cabrera is a poor man's Oliver Perez. No business being in the majors, yet teams can't help but think that with his stuff, he's one more pitching coach away from turning the corner.
M's pitcher Miguel Batista: "Now, I feel like I've had everything. I've talked pitching with Sandy Koufax, had Kenny G play for me. Maybe if I could have an interview with God, then I'd be served. I'd be complete."
Old 05-11-2009, 06:25 PM   #1184
Jas_lov
College Starter

Did the Red Sox provide Steroids training?

"I'm in spring training, and I got an 8:30-9:00 meeting in the morning. I walk into that office, and this happened while I was with the Boston Red Sox before this last regime, I'm sitting in the meeting. There's a doctor up there and he's talking about steroids, and everyone was like 'here we go, we're gonna sit here and get the whole thing -- they're bad for you.' No. He spins it and says 'you know what, if you take steroids and sit on the couch all winter long, you can actually get stronger than someone who works out clean, if you're going to take steroids, one cycle won't hurt you, abusing steroids it will.' He sat there for one hour and told us how to properly use steroids while I'm with the Boston Red Sox, sitting there with the rest of the organization, and after this I said 'what the heck was that?' And everybody on the team was like 'what was that?' And the response we got was 'well, we know guys are taking it, so we want to make sure they're taking it the right way'... Where did that come from? That didn't come from the Players Association." -Lou Merloni

NBC Sports - Did the Red Sox provide steroids training?

First Manny and now this. First of all, I thought Red Sox didn't use steroids. And I wonder if Bud will look into this after he looks into those lies made up by Selena Roberts.
Jas_lov is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2009, 06:33 PM   #1185
JS19
College Prospect

Nice pitching matchup with Santana and Lowe. Game is on ESPN. No Delgado or Chipper in the lineups, takes away from it a bit, but should still be a good one. Starting the 2nd inning but it appears to be an extremely tight strike zone.
Old 05-11-2009, 07:15 PM   #1186
Atocep
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jas_lov View Post

"I'm in spring training, and I got an 8:30-9:00 meeting in the morning. I walk into that office, and this happened while I was with the Boston Red Sox before this last regime, I'm sitting in the meeting. There's a doctor up there and he's talking about steroids, and everyone was like 'here we go, we're gonna sit here and get the whole thing -- they're bad for you.' No. He spins it and says 'you know what, if you take steroids and sit on the couch all winter long, you can actually get stronger than someone who works out clean, if you're going to take steroids, one cycle won't hurt you, abusing steroids it will.' He sat there for one hour and told us how to properly use steroids while I'm with the Boston Red Sox, sitting there with the rest of the organization, and after this I said 'what the heck was that?' And everybody on the team was like 'what was that?' And the response we got was 'well, we know guys are taking it, so we want to make sure they're taking it the right way'... Where did that come from? That didn't come from the Players Association." -Lou Merloni

First Manny and now this. First of all, I thought Red Sox didn't use steroids. And I wonder if Bud will look into this after he looks into those lies made up by Selena Roberts.

First, Merloni started backtracking from those statements as soon as he made them. Second, is this really news? Players used steroids in the 90s and the early part of this decade. If they're going to use and you have no way of preventing it, why not make sure they're educated?
Atocep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2009, 07:36 PM   #1187
sterlingice
Hall Of Famer

Does Citi Field have a funky, deep right field?

SI

Old 05-11-2009, 07:43 PM   #1188
sterlingice
Hall Of Famer

Anyone just see Hershiser just make the heads explode of Steve Phillips and, I think it was, Dan Schulman?

SI

Old 05-11-2009, 08:12 PM   #1189
Big Fo
Pro Rookie

Nice hit from Diaz to take advantage of the Reyes error and make it 3-1.

ooh now 5-1. Love hearing the boos in New York.
Big Fo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2009, 08:18 PM   #1190
JS19
College Prospect

2 unearned runs from Santana, and he's due to get the loss. He's managed a 4-1 record, looks to be 4-2 by nights end, with horrible run support. It's a shame, I think the Mets have scored 13 runs in his 7 starts.
Old 05-11-2009, 08:20 PM   #1191
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

fuckin Reyes
Old 05-11-2009, 09:11 PM   #1192
Big Fo
Pro Rookie

C'mon Carlyle, get a third out. Steve Phillips is killing me.
Big Fo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2009, 12:06 AM   #1193
Crapshoot
Grizzled Veteran

The Giants scored 11 runs tonight. That's more than we scored in a 7 game stretch earlier this year.
Old 05-12-2009, 12:19 AM   #1194
DaddyTorgo
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jas_lov View Post

you're funny
DaddyTorgo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2009, 06:46 AM   #1195
lordscarlet
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crapshoot View Post
The Giants scored 11 runs tonight. That's more than we scored in a 7 game stretch earlier this year.

Ugh. There goes the Nationals' winning stretch. Zimmerman continues to shine, though. Last night he was 4 for 5 with 2 HR and is hitting .363. His streak is at 29 games and, without looking at stats, I believe he has brought down his tendency to overthrow 3B.

The team is continuing to score, but, as happens too often, 7 runs is not enough to pull out a victory.

"...the better half of the Moores..." -cthomer5000
lordscarlet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2009, 07:36 AM   #1196
Logan
Head Coach

Quote:
Does Citi Field have a funky, deep right field?

SI

Yes. It actually has a deep everything, especially with the wall being about 16 feet high almost the full way around. But right field has an additional piece cut out that makes the wall slanted which can add some tough bounces. Also, the stands hang over the field in that area by a few feet. You can get a decent sense of it in this pic, although the shadow makes it tougher:

http://www.loge13.com/img/Citi_right...eck_040509.png
Logan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2009, 07:57 AM   #1197
Ksyrup

Did I read the boxscore right that the Braves had 16 hits, and the only extra base hit out of those was 1 double by McCann? That's got to be hard to do.
Old 05-12-2009, 09:55 PM   #1198
sterlingice
Hall Of Famer

I love backup QB syndrome. Hochevar was not a magical savior- he's given up 4 and isn't even out of the 2nd. He'll have better days but he's not some magical cure all.

Royals offense is going to have to show up tonight. 5 LOB thru 2 innings so they're getting on but can't knock anyone in.

SI

Old 05-12-2009, 10:08 PM   #1199
ISiddiqui
Hall Of Famer

Very nice to see the Mets climb back (even though it was the Braves' bullpen) and win on a walk off walk.
Old 05-12-2009, 10:39 PM   #1200
Crapshoot
Grizzled Veteran

Nats fans - both Zimmerman's look good, but Jordan needs something other than the fastball - when the Giants are teeing off on you, you need to work on your pitches. That being said, his stuff does look filthy.