Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Archives > FOFC Archive
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 04-17-2008, 06:24 AM   #1151
Ksyrup
This guy has posted so much, his fingers are about to fall off.

Well, that was a big, fat failure for Dial Idol. They had KLC squarely in the middle and safe. Based on performance, though, I thought she was probably the worst, right there with Syesha. I'm still stunned Jim ranked him #1 and a lot of you thought she was good. Apparently all that warbling dazed you, and you were unable to distinguish which notes were in tune and which ones weren't!

Andrew Lloyd Webber next week. Oh joy. Perhaps this will be the week that Carly pops a vein in her forehead straining so hard to look like Devil Woman, and there won't be the need for an elimination.
M's pitcher Miguel Batista: "Now, I feel like I've had everything. I've talked pitching with Sandy Koufax, had Kenny G play for me. Maybe if I could have an interview with God, then I'd be served. I'd be complete."
Ksyrup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2008, 07:03 AM   #1152
Eaglesfan27
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ksyrup View Post
Well, that was a big, fat failure for Dial Idol. They had KLC squarely in the middle and safe. Based on performance, though, I thought she was probably the worst, right there with Syesha. I'm still stunned Jim ranked him #1 and a lot of you thought she was good. Apparently all that warbling dazed you, and you were unable to distinguish which notes were in tune and which ones weren't!

Andrew Lloyd Webber next week. Oh joy. Perhaps this will be the week that Carly pops a vein in her forehead straining so hard to look like Devil Woman, and there won't be the need for an elimination.

Mrs. E is very happy that KLC is gone. Also, she said something very similar about Carly. She predicts the song that will do it for Carly is "Superstar."
Eaglesfan27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2008, 08:12 AM   #1153
Mustang
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Well, that was a big, fat failure for Dial Idol.

Ya.. AI pays attention to dialidol though.

You had Cook in the group with KLC and Brooke so, you're thinking dialidol screwed up on Brooke, but then you figure they screwed up on Castro though in the other group. Then they changed Cook/Syesha it and it was pretty clear cut then.
You, you will regret what you have done this day. I will make you regret ever being born. Your going to wish you never left your mothers womb, where it was warm and safe... and wet. i am going to show you pain you never knew existed, you are going to see a whole new spectrum of pain, like a Rainboooow. But! This rainbow is not just like any other rainbow, its...
Mustang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2008, 08:15 AM   #1154
MJ4H
Coordinator

Quote:
I'm still stunned Jim ranked him #1 and a lot of you thought she was good. Apparently all that warbling dazed you, and you were unable to distinguish which notes were in tune and which ones weren't!

It is unclear whom you are referring to in this because neither Kristy nor Syesha is a him and you referenced both girls either. Kristy was far better than Syesha in almost every way this week. I have no idea what on earth the judges saw in Syesha's performance, but it was horrific. Kristy was fairly well in tune, surprisingly. The low register was just a touch rough, and when you combine that with the fact that the song she sang had kind of an awkward chord progression when the melody dips into the low register, it sounded kind of strange at first. The clip of her rehearsing with Mariah showed her singing that little section and it was awfully out of tune. Her actual performance was much better in tune, though, and she pulled the whole thing off surprisingly well. After the rehearsal clip I laughed and told my wife "there's no way I'll make it through this one." Turned out she did much better than I thought she would.

SORRY FOR TEXT WALL
MJ4H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2008, 08:29 AM   #1155
rkmsuf
Head Coach

can we vote Mariah out?

that was one of the worst songs I've ever heard
Old 04-17-2008, 08:29 AM   #1156
Toddzilla
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by MattJones4Heisman View Post
It is unclear whom you are referring to in this because neither Kristy nor Syesha is a him and you referenced both girls either. Kristy was far better than Syesha in almost every way this week. I have no idea what on earth the judges saw in Syesha's performance, but it was horrific. Kristy was fairly well in tune, surprisingly. The low register was just a touch rough, and when you combine that with the fact that the song she sang had kind of an awkward chord progression when the melody dips into the low register, it sounded kind of strange at first. The clip of her rehearsing with Mariah showed her singing that little section and it was awfully out of tune. Her actual performance was much better in tune, though, and she pulled the whole thing off surprisingly well. After the rehearsal clip I laughed and told my wife "there's no way I'll make it through this one." Turned out she did much better than I thought she would.

SORRY FOR TEXT WALL
tl;dr

Toddzilla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2008, 08:33 AM   #1157
Ksyrup

Quote:

SORRY FOR TEXT WALL

Yeah, I meant her, obviously, since Jim ranked her #1. And I disagree about her vocals, it was terrible three ways - rehearsal, performance, and sing out last night. She may have hit some notes warbling through them to get to the off-key stuff, but it was painful to listen to.

Syesha wasn't any better, and may have been worse, but I had them as my bottom two anyway, so either of them leaving wouldn't have been a surprise. My surprise was that some of you thought KLC was actually good, as opposed to mediocre or bad.
M's pitcher Miguel Batista: "Now, I feel like I've had everything. I've talked pitching with Sandy Koufax, had Kenny G play for me. Maybe if I could have an interview with God, then I'd be served. I'd be complete."
Old 04-17-2008, 08:39 AM   #1158
Draft Dodger
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by rkmsuf View Post
can we vote Mariah out?

that was one of the worst songs I've ever heard

also, can we go back 10-15 years and have hot Mariah back?
Old 04-17-2008, 09:12 AM   #1159
MJ4H
Coordinator

Quote:
Yeah, I meant her, obviously, since Jim ranked her #1. And I disagree about her vocals, it was terrible three ways - rehearsal, performance, and sing out last night. She may have hit some notes warbling through them to get to the off-key stuff, but it was painful to listen to.

My surprise was that some of you thought KLC was actually good, as opposed to mediocre or bad.

1. It may have been painful, but it was only slightly out-of-tune in the low register, the rest in tune pretty well.

2. Mediocre is good for Kristy Lee Cook, so [Myagi]same-same[/Myagi]

Old 04-17-2008, 09:14 AM   #1160
rkmsuf
Head Coach

The goofy look on Simon's face when KLC was singing at the end while sitting on the table was laugh out loud funny.
Old 04-17-2008, 10:18 AM   #1161
Subby
lolzcat

Mariah Carey labels performance "rancid".
Superman was flying around and saw Wonder Woman getting a tan in the nude on her balcony. Superman said I going to hit that real fast. So he flys down toward Wonder Woman to hit it and their is a loud scream. The Invincible Man scream what just hit me in the ass!!!!!

I do shit, I take pictures, I write about it: chrisshue.com
Subby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2008, 10:21 AM   #1162
Eaglesfan27
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Draft Dodger View Post
also, can we go back 10-15 years and have hot Mariah back?

Yes, please.
Old 04-17-2008, 10:56 AM   #1163
cuervo72
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by rkmsuf View Post
The goofy look on Simon's face when KLC was singing at the end while sitting on the table was laugh out loud funny.

He was struck dumb by the glitterboobs?
Old 04-17-2008, 11:02 AM   #1164
MJ4H
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Subby View Post

Summary, please? Blocked from work.
Old 04-17-2008, 11:32 AM   #1165
rkmsuf
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by cuervo72 View Post
He was struck dumb by the glitterboobs?

He looked about as uncomfortable as one can. Didn't know where to look or what to do.

The cleavage had him spellbound.
Old 04-17-2008, 11:43 AM   #1166
Drake
assmaster

I actually felt sorry for David A. when Ryan asked him to side with the group he thought was safe. That's a tough place to put a 17 year old kid in on national television, especially when he's going to be working with those people on the Idol Tour one way or the other.

I was impressed with the way he dealt with it, though. Selecting his "own" group, which he already knew was safe was a smart move.

Still, it made me want to punch Seacrest in the nuts.
Drake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2008, 11:55 AM   #1167
Mustang
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drake View Post
I actually felt sorry for David A. when Ryan asked him to side with the group he thought was safe.

First season of Idol?

They've been doing this for a long time. Only contestant that I can remember actually selecting a group was George Huff who went to the side of the 3 'Divas' (Fantasia/Hudson/Latoya London) and didn't go to Stevens/Barino/Trias. After he went to the group, Ryan said "I said the top 3 George"

Bo Bice started the next year by going to the middle of the 2 groups.
You, you will regret what you have done this day. I will make you regret ever being born. Your going to wish you never left your mothers womb, where it was warm and safe... and wet. i am going to show you pain you never knew existed, you are going to see a whole new spectrum of pain, like a Rainboooow. But! This rainbow is not just like any other rainbow, its...
Old 04-17-2008, 12:14 PM   #1168
Drake
assmaster

Hmm. Shows you how much attention I usually pay to the results show.

(Honestly. I'm really hit and miss with the results show. I usually end up checking here to find out who gets booted, or I just watch the last two or three minutes to see who's singing themselves out.)
Drake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2008, 12:22 PM   #1169
Subby
lolzcat

Quote:
Summary, please? Blocked from work.
whoops - sorry about that...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bumpshack
Pop star Mariah Carey was a bit insecure last night after her performance on American Idol. In true diva fashion she had her part of the show pre-taped 40 minutes before the actual live broadcast.

To make matters easier for everyone, Mariah’s portion of the hit show was shot aobut 40 minutes before the beginning of the live broadcast. To warm up, she did a quick run-through — only singing about half of the song — before shooting the version of the song that would air last night.

The diva was apparently very insecure and unsure of her performance. She sought out Randy Jackson’s opinion to reassure her that it had been good enough.

But Mariah apparently had a different opinion of her performance. “The ending was a little rancid," she countered.
“No, it sounded good," assured Randy and his fellow judges, prompting cheers from the audience.

One, twice, three times the diva! Mariah did look smoking hot!
Superman was flying around and saw Wonder Woman getting a tan in the nude on her balcony. Superman said I going to hit that real fast. So he flys down toward Wonder Woman to hit it and their is a loud scream. The Invincible Man scream what just hit me in the ass!!!!!

I do shit, I take pictures, I write about it: chrisshue.com
Subby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2008, 12:26 PM   #1170
Jim G.
Grizzled Veteran

Kristy Lee is all about confidence. When she has it, she sings with a rich, in-key voice that country fans will be hearing on albums for a long time.

When she doesn't have it, she makes faces, looks uncomfortable and sounds pretty bad.

When the competition started back in February, she was sick, and that threw her. She made it to the round of 12, barely. She was considered the weakest in the group, deservedly, at that time.

About four weeks ago, she found her confidence and started sounding a lot better. There are long pieces of her last two performances that are as good as anything we've heard on the show this season.

The confidence thing is crucial for her. At the start of her song this week, she had to dip into her lower register with a bit of a trill. She couldn't do it right, and, each time, made that familiar grimace. She knew instantly it was off, which is a sign that she will develop as a singer.

Then she found that confidence once she was out of that lower register, and it was night and day.

I don't know if she will mature as a person, as she seems awfully young for her age. But I could see her becoming a huge star if she works hard at this over time.
Jim G. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2008, 12:36 PM   #1171
Ksyrup

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim G. View Post
I don't know if she will mature as a person, as she seems awfully young for her age.

You mean like calling Simon a "butt" in front of 30+ million people last night?
Old 04-17-2008, 12:38 PM   #1172
rkmsuf
Head Coach

Normally the dumbness makes them hotter but in the case of KLC I find her personality a huge turn off. I can't think of a more uninteresting and drab personality that she projects.
Old 04-17-2008, 03:30 PM   #1173
saldana
Pro Starter

i dont think the fact that KLC is gone hurts her one bit...she was never going to win, but she got enough attention and showed what she was capable of becoming that I wont be a bit suprised when she "drops" a pop/country album...she was different enough from the rest of them that she didnt need to win to get a contract.

i will miss looking at her though.
saldana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2008, 08:00 PM   #1174
Easy Mac

So this means Castro is going home next week, since its been boy/girl since we got to 12. Then, the ladies get picked off for 3 weeks until Archuleta wins... and half of America commits suicide.
Easy Mac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2008, 06:49 AM   #1175
wade moore
lolzcat

Quote:
Originally Posted by saldana View Post
i dont think the fact that KLC is gone hurts her one bit...she was never going to win, but she got enough attention and showed what she was capable of becoming that I wont be a bit suprised when she "drops" a pop/country album...she was different enough from the rest of them that she didnt need to win to get a contract.

i will miss looking at her though.

If Kelly Pickler can make money doing country, certainly KLC can (and this is from a country music fan)...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Subby
Maybe I am just getting old though, but I am learning to not let perfect be the enemy of the very good...
wade moore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2008, 07:08 AM   #1176
Ksyrup

Definitely. Although...Pickles may be dumb, but at least she's got personality.

Here's some KLC aftermath stuff...

Kristy Lee Cook got engaged Wednesday night. So that’s some good news for her.

Kristy was planning on singing “Don’t Cry For Me Argentina” next week.
Old 04-18-2008, 07:11 AM   #1177
wade moore
lolzcat

Quote:
Definitely. Although...Pickles may be dumb, but at least she's got personality.

But KLC is more attractive. Pickles annoyed the hell out of me and I don't like her after-Idol stuff. KLC just needs one nicely recorded ballad and she'll make some $$$.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Subby
Maybe I am just getting old though, but I am learning to not let perfect be the enemy of the very good...
wade moore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2008, 07:46 AM   #1178
Ksyrup

Yeah, I never found Pickles to be attractive at all. KLC is attractive, but not sexy (I still don't think so, even after she got better on the show). Still, I wouldn't be surprised to see her do well. Country seems to be the one genre that AI contestants succeed in regularly. Carrie Underwood, Pickles, Josh Gracin, and I think Phil Stacey has an album coming out soon, too.

Last edited by Ksyrup : 04-18-2008 at 07:46 AM.
Old 04-18-2008, 09:20 AM   #1179
Eaglesfan27
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Yeah, I never found Pickles to be attractive at all. KLC is attractive, but not sexy (I still don't think so, even after she got better on the show). Still, I wouldn't be surprised to see her do well. Country seems to be the one genre that AI contestants succeed in regularly. Carrie Underwood, Pickles, Josh Gracin, and I think Phil Stacey has an album coming out soon, too.

Do you remember that opening dance she did when they introduced the top 24... I have a feeling KLC can be very sexy on stage and Idol was holding her back in that department (or maybe some other external factor was holding her back.) She is definitely attractive as well and I wouldn't be surprised at all to see her do well as a country artist.

Last edited by Eaglesfan27 : 04-18-2008 at 09:21 AM.
Old 04-18-2008, 09:40 AM   #1180
lordscarlet
Pro Starter

KLC was sexy in her audition and then it was steadily downhill from there.

"...the better half of the Moores..." -cthomer5000
lordscarlet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2008, 09:43 AM   #1181
rkmsuf
Head Coach

KLC looks smelly
Old 04-18-2008, 10:23 AM   #1182
Pumpy Tudors
Bounty Hunter

but KFC looks yummy
Old 04-18-2008, 10:26 AM   #1183
Ksyrup

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eaglesfan27 View Post
Do you remember that opening dance she did when they introduced the top 24... I have a feeling KLC can be very sexy on stage and Idol was holding her back in that department (or maybe some other external factor was holding her back.) She is definitely attractive as well and I wouldn't be surprised at all to see her do well as a country artist.

Of course I remember that. I also remember that Darrin Erstad hit .350 one year, too. I think what I've seen since both of those things occurred tells me a lot more about them than that one brief, shining moment in the sun.

That said, I think she could definitely make money. I just don't think she's sexy, outside of a 4 second clip. Aside from her beauty, there's nothing alluring about her at all. The difference between her and, say, McPhee is like night and day. Although she went and married a guy as old as her dad, which drops her a few notches, but you know what I mean.

Last edited by Ksyrup : 04-18-2008 at 10:26 AM.
Old 04-18-2008, 10:42 AM   #1184
Eaglesfan27
Hall Of Famer

If AI producers didn't play a different clip of her (but not everyone else) when introducing the top 24 in future shows, I'd agree with you. Everyone else had their original clip, but she had a much tamer/lamer clip. I'm convinced they told her she was being too sexy for the show and to tone it down, and she just went WAY too far overboard in doing so. I guess we'll see in the next year once she is free of Idol's clutches.
Old 04-18-2008, 10:49 AM   #1185
Ksyrup

It's possible. But I really can't believe she'd abandon that angle entirely, both in song choice and performance style throughout the season. I don't think she was holding back anything in those performances - I just don't think she can perform very well. But she can certainly do enough to sell a record, I'll give you that.
Old 04-22-2008, 08:20 PM   #1186
Mustang
Grizzled Veteran

Oy... too do this to the contestants is just wrong. First Mariah, then Andrew Lloyd Weber and I think next week is Neil Diamond. (Although, I will give ALW credit though as he seemed relatively honest in his assessments of the singers)

Bottom 3 this week should be Brooke, Jason and either Carly or Syesha (just because someone has to be in the bottom 3) although, David A should be in the bottom 3 just based on the week.

Brook or Jason should go, but they won't. It will probably be Carly or Syesha.
Old 04-22-2008, 08:26 PM   #1187
EagleFan
Hall Of Famer

Totally forgot about it tonight. What songs did they do?
EagleFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2008, 08:29 PM   #1188
Mustang
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by EagleFan View Post
Totally forgot about it tonight. What songs did they do?

Seriously, if you put a gun to my head and asked me to come up with the names, I'd be dead.

Carly did Jesus Christ Superstar, Jason C did I believe Memory and David C did a number from Phantom of the Opera. After that.. eh.. who knows.
Old 04-22-2008, 08:33 PM   #1189
GrantDawg
World Champion Mis-speller

Horrible night. Brooke is toast.
GrantDawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2008, 08:58 PM   #1190
rowech
Pro Starter

Castro or Brooke on this one...they were clearly the two dogs this week. I thought Castro was horrendous. Thought Syesha was once again good, but this week I thought she was great. David C. showed he can sing something different. Carly was very good as was David A. To me, it's between the two Davids with Syesha and Carly behind them.
rowech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2008, 09:03 PM   #1191
MJ4H
Coordinator

My rankings for tonight.

1. David Archuleta
2. Carly Smithson
3. David Cook
4. Syesha Mercado
5. Jason Castro
6. Brooke White

Brooke. Unforgivable. That's twice this season. Just no.
Old 04-22-2008, 09:41 PM   #1192
Thomkal
Head Coach

yeah sadly I think that's the end for Brooke. I'd much rather see Jason or Syesha gone over her, but I can't see her overcoming that gaffe. I would put Carly in the bottom 3 with Jason and Brooke, but it will probably be Syesha again, though she doesn't deserve it this week.

I would have bet good money this week that David A would do Music of the Night, so I was very surprised by his contemporary spin on the song he did choose. Never thought David C would do Music of the Night or that he had been in musical theatre at some point. But that seems to be theme with him, very unpredictable song choices that he mostly does well with.
Thomkal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2008, 09:41 PM   #1193
Solecismic
Solecismic Software

Football Frontier rankings are posted for tonight. I'll take some heat for the Brooke ranking, but remember that during a normal week at this stage of the competition, she'd probably be near the bottom with that score.

http://www.solecismic.com/frontierblog/?p=250

Overall: The Idols tried their voices at acting this week, and, while those who lost themselves in the spirit of the week were generally mediocre-plus, one came out with one of the top performances of the entire season. Those who tritely stuck with the popification of the musical were left exposed as artless pretenders.

Also, watch for some real football content on the Frontier this week. I've been working on a study of NFL officiating. The first three parts have been posted.
Solecismic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2008, 09:50 PM   #1194
MJ4H
Coordinator

Goodness.
Old 04-22-2008, 09:57 PM   #1195
Ksyrup

I didn't think it was possible, but David Archuleta is making Doolittle look like she sang a different genre every week last year. That guy can only do one thing. I know he's good at it, but come on - enough is enough.

I thought Carly was bad - shouting once again, and the Aretha/Freedom version of JCS was yuck. I was actually singing Freedom along with the song.

I was impressed that David Cook sang that in such a theatrical manner and pretty much pulled it off.

Syesha was excellent, and I think she's safe, but too bad she got stuck singing first.

Brooke and Castro were bad, but Castro was worse.

Last edited by Ksyrup : 04-22-2008 at 09:57 PM.
Old 04-22-2008, 10:11 PM   #1196
Eaglesfan27
Hall Of Famer

Mrs. E and I were also very impressed with David Cook's versatility and we both thought he was the clear best singer/performer of the night. Castro was horrible and should definitely go. Brooke should also be in the bottom 2 with either Carly or Syesha (just based on cumulative performances not to mention the dreaded 1 spot)
Old 04-22-2008, 10:15 PM   #1197
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

Brooke is done.
Lathum is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2008, 10:15 PM   #1198
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

dola- the only thing that may save her is Simon said he would have one the same thing.
Lathum is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2008, 10:35 PM   #1199
Rizon
Pro Starter

For anyone who is done suffering through the mess of tonight, War Games is on.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Suicane75 View Post
I don't think I'd stop even if I found a dick.
Rizon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2008, 04:30 AM   #1200
law90026
College Benchwarmer

That's one of my frustrations with American Idol, the requirement that they sign stupidly different genres every week. Seriously, how many of these people are going to release an album that has that wide a range of songs in it? How many of them are going to sing 60s songs/opera/etc as a career?

Let them sing whatever they want each week imo and if they can't get people interested enough in them to keep voting for them after 12 weeks, that's why they should lose, not because they are required to sing out of their comfort zone.
law90026 is offline   Reply With Quote