Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Archives > FOFC Archive
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 06-26-2007, 03:05 AM   #1151
dawgfan
Grizzled Veteran

So, can we postpone the talk of demoting Lincecum for a while longer?
dawgfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2007, 04:19 AM   #1152
larrymcg421
Head Coach

What is the RBI record for someone hitting less than .200? Andruw Jones probably has a good shot of getting it.

Franchise Portfolio Draft Winner
Fictional Character Draft Winner
Television Family Draft Winner
Build Your Own Hollywood Studio Draft Winner
larrymcg421 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2007, 09:34 PM   #1153
Atocep
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ksyrup View Post
They've lost 2 straight in Colorado, and I'm hoping that means the recent winning streak was due more to the competition (weak White Sox and Pirates, slumping D-Backs and Mets) than the Yankees turning it around.

Looking like this was the case...
Atocep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2007, 10:03 PM   #1154
Ksyrup
This guy has posted so much, his fingers are about to fall off.

The Yankees loss almost made up for the fact that the Tigers lost a second game to the Rangers. Almost. Todd Jones is a motherfucker.
M's pitcher Miguel Batista: "Now, I feel like I've had everything. I've talked pitching with Sandy Koufax, had Kenny G play for me. Maybe if I could have an interview with God, then I'd be served. I'd be complete."
Ksyrup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2007, 10:05 PM   #1155
Jas_lov
College Starter

Yep, I was afraid of this about the Yankees. Now they've lost 6 of 7 to Colorado, San Fransisco, and Baltimore. Andy Pettitte gets another no decision giving up 3 ER or less because the offense sucks. How do you only score 5 runs in 3 games in Colorado of all places?

Let me ask a question of everyone. Is it that customary not to bring your closer in to pitch in a tie game on the road? Mariano Rivera has pitched once in the last 10 days and Scott Proctor has been overused all season. Saturday against the Giants, Torre leaves Proctor in to pitch a 3rd inning in a tie game in extra innings instead of bringing in Rivera and Proctor loses the game. Tonight, Torre brings in Proctor for the 9th inning in a 2-2 game instead of Rivera. Proctor walks 3 batters including the winning run. Doesn't bringing in Rivera increase your chance of winning the game regardless of whether the game is tied or not or is Joe Torre correct not to use his best pitcher in a tie game on the road?
Jas_lov is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2007, 10:07 PM   #1156
henry296
College Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jas_lov View Post
Yep, I was afraid of this about the Yankees. Now they've lost 6 of 7 to Colorado, San Fransisco, and Baltimore. Andy Pettitte gets another no decision giving up 3 ER or less because the offense sucks. How do you only score 5 runs in 3 games in Colorado of all places?

Let me ask a question of everyone. Is it that customary not to bring your closer in to pitch in a tie game on the road? Mariano Rivera has pitched once in the last 10 days and Scott Proctor has been overused all season. Saturday against the Giants, Torre leaves Proctor in to pitch a 3rd inning in a tie game in extra innings instead of bringing in Rivera and Proctor loses the game. Tonight, Torre brings in Proctor for the 9th inning in a 2-2 game instead of Rivera. Proctor walks 3 batters including the winning run. Doesn't bringing in Rivera increase your chance of winning the game regardless of whether the game is tied or not or is Joe Torre correct not to use his best pitcher in a tie game on the road?

Typically you use your closer in a tied game at home, but not on the road so the closer can pitch the bottom of the inning if you score and get the save.
Old 06-26-2007, 10:11 PM   #1157
Ksyrup

This is why Joe Torre, in all likelihood, deserves to lose his job. I understand he's a great clubhouse guy and all, but his bullpen usage is horrible. In tonight's game, I would have let Rivera pitch 2 innings since he's hardly pitched. Especially since everyone is in agreement that Rivera needs steady work to stay sharp.
M's pitcher Miguel Batista: "Now, I feel like I've had everything. I've talked pitching with Sandy Koufax, had Kenny G play for me. Maybe if I could have an interview with God, then I'd be served. I'd be complete."
Old 06-27-2007, 12:40 AM   #1158
Chief Rum
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chief Rum View Post
Well, but you have played us well this year.

See?
Chief Rum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2007, 06:52 AM   #1159
Ksyrup

Neyer's got a spot-on blog article about Torre's bullpen mismanagement.
Old 06-27-2007, 08:12 AM   #1160
sterlingice
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chief Rum View Post
See?

Well, I thought we would win last night. The pitching matchup favored us. But I figured Thompson vs Lackey was going to be an 8-1 shellacking. I'll take a series win against Anaheim any day of the year

SI

Janos: "Only America could produce an imbecile of your caliber!"
Freakazoid: "That's because we make lots of things better than other people!"

sterlingice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2007, 08:49 AM   #1161
MikeVic
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by larrymcg421 View Post
What is the RBI record for someone hitting less than .200? Andruw Jones probably has a good shot of getting it.

What the! I just checked out his stats. What happened to his AVG? Also, he's from the Netherlands??

Also, does this little blurb on the bottom of his page on mlb.com mean HE has a daughter too, or his SON has a dauther?

Quote:
Married the former Nicole Derick...They have a son, Druw, and he has one daughter, Madison...
MikeVic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2007, 08:51 AM   #1162
Ksyrup

He's from Curacao, which is part of the Netherlands, right? He's from the Netherlands and his BA is in the nether-regions.
Old 06-27-2007, 08:52 AM   #1163
Ksyrup

The amazing thing is that someone is going to pay him $15M+ a year for declining offensive skills that never quite reached the level we thought they would, plus overrated (at least at this point in his career) defense.
Old 06-27-2007, 09:23 AM   #1164
Logan
Head Coach

Quote:
The amazing thing is that someone is going to pay him $15M+ a year for declining offensive skills that never quite reached the level we thought they would, plus overrated (at least at this point in his career) defense.

Knowing that prior to the season, it would take a major hometown discount for the Braves to be able to sign him, I'm wondering if his terrible year will drive his price down enough to where the Braves might be able to keep him. Declining skills or not...as a Met fan, I want him out of the division.
Logan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2007, 10:34 AM   #1165
Ksyrup

Chicago Sun-Times is reporting that the White Sox and Beuhrle may sign an extension:

"The Boston Red Sox, who had jumped out as the clear favorite to acquire White Sox left-hander Mark Buehrle during the weekend, have pulled out of the sweepstakes, according to one source. And not because the asking price of top minor-league prospects was too high or because they no longer coveted Buehrle's services, but because Buehrle is no longer on the trading block for the time being.

The Sun-Times has learned that a change of heart in both the Buehrle and White Sox camps during the last 48 hours has led to talks about the sides somehow getting together and agreeing on a contract extension by the end of the week."
Old 06-27-2007, 12:28 PM   #1166
Atocep
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Logan View Post
Knowing that prior to the season, it would take a major hometown discount for the Braves to be able to sign him, I'm wondering if his terrible year will drive his price down enough to where the Braves might be able to keep him. Declining skills or not...as a Met fan, I want him out of the division.

I would much rather have the Braves sign him, even at a discounted price. Locking up a declining centerfielder long-term would be much better for the Mets since it would severely handicap the Braves financial flexibility.

However, I know the Braves are smart enough to let him walk.
Old 06-27-2007, 12:43 PM   #1167
Logan
Head Coach

Head to head though, Jones punishes the Mets. That's why he can go IMO.
Old 06-27-2007, 01:54 PM   #1168
Atocep
Coordinator

And this is an emmy award winning analyst

Quote:
Bob (Brooklyn): What's more important to evaluate a pitcher: Wins or ERA?

Joe Morgan: I've always believed that an ERA is like a batting average. It's a personal thing. For instance, a guy could hit .300, but not be as valuable as a guy that hits .270. A guy that makes 7 outs out of 10 with guys on base, he's not that valuable. But if you're clutch, but hit .275, you're more valuable. That's why I think wins are better. It's just as tough to win a game 7-6 as it is 1-0. The only thing that matters at the end of the year is how many games did we win.

Quote:
Kyle (Kansas): What is the most overated stat in baseball?

Joe Morgan: Batting average and earned run average and this OPS stuff they do. OPS doesn't tell you anything except about the individual. The same as the other stats. It doesn't tell you anything about the team. A .300 average doesn't help you win games, run production does.
Old 06-27-2007, 02:13 PM   #1169
dawgfan
Grizzled Veteran

Well, he got one out of three - he's right that batting average is over rated.
Old 06-27-2007, 02:16 PM   #1170
DanGarion
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atocep View Post
And this is an emmy award winning analyst
My god Joe Morgan is the biggest dumbshit in baseball. This just confirms my feelings for him.
DanGarion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2007, 02:21 PM   #1171
Ksyrup

He's such a joke that I'm fairly certain those are softball questions designed to provoke the kind of non-analytical/old-school answers he always gives, for the amusement of the masses. It's too bad, because I actually like him and it's nice to have someone who is a tie to the past to bring perspective to today's game...it's just unfortunate that his thinking hasn't progressed past his glory days.
Old 06-27-2007, 02:25 PM   #1172
dawgfan
Grizzled Veteran

What's amusing to me about Morgan is that many of the statistical concepts he rails against are precisely the reasons why he's so highly thought of by sabermatricians as a hitter - despite frequently posting a sub-.300 batting average, he was a very valuable hitter because he drew a ton of walks (high OBP) and hit for a good power considering the era and his position (good SLG + high OBP = very good OPS).
Old 06-27-2007, 02:30 PM   #1173
Ksyrup

Isn't it ironic?

Maybe that's why he's always been so modest...deep down he thinks he sucked and can't understand why he's so highly thought of!
Old 06-27-2007, 02:31 PM   #1174
Atocep
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by dawgfan View Post
What's amusing to me about Morgan is that many of the statistical concepts he rails against are precisely the reasons why he's so highly thought of by sabermatricians as a hitter - despite frequently posting a sub-.300 batting average, he was a very valuable hitter because he drew a ton of walks (high OBP) and hit for a good power considering the era and his position (good SLG + high OBP = very good OPS).

Despite that, he actually thinks the saber way of thinking would have overlooked him as a player. He's mentioned it a few times. He's so set in his ways its almost sad.

I saw someone ask him once why he's never read moneyball and refuses to. He said that since Michael Lewis didn't play baseball there was nothing he could learn from him. Which I guess is an improvement since he's always referred to it as "the Billy Beane book".
Old 06-27-2007, 03:41 PM   #1175
Logan
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe Morgan
and this OPS stuff they do

I imagine him saying this with the same scorn an old white guy uses when describing "this rap stuff colored folk do."
Old 06-27-2007, 09:49 PM   #1176
Ksyrup

Clemens looking good in mid-season.
Old 06-27-2007, 09:54 PM   #1177
Atocep
Coordinator

Quote:
Clemens looking good in mid-season.

Not the same in the AL....
Old 06-27-2007, 09:57 PM   #1178
Ksyrup

I think it's funny that with all the pitching problems they've had, it's the offense that is killing them.
Old 06-27-2007, 10:05 PM   #1179
Calis
College Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by sterlingice View Post
The Royals salvage the third game against the Brewers (it's always salvage when you win the 3rd game, too- one of those in the long list of baseball cliches). This evens their June record at 11-11 with only 5 games to go. Unfortunately, three are against the best team in the league (Anaheim) and then 2 against the White Sox. If they do manage to go 3-2, it will be their first winning month since 2003

SI

With 2 to spare!
Calis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2007, 10:14 PM   #1180
sterlingice
Hall Of Famer

*gets out the unlikeliest of brooms* Hooray!

SI

Last edited by sterlingice : 06-27-2007 at 10:14 PM.
Old 06-27-2007, 10:15 PM   #1181
Ksyrup

Yeah, the Tigers, Angels, and Red Sox scuffling a bit this week. Lucky for the Red Sox they are probably going to back into a division championship at this point.
Old 06-27-2007, 10:16 PM   #1182
sterlingice
Hall Of Famer

Just 1.5 back and starting 3 games against the White Sox. I have to think this would be the latest in the season not in last place since 2003 if they can pull ahead. I'll be at the game Sunday for the Negro Leagues game

SI

Old 06-27-2007, 11:07 PM   #1183
MrBug708
Head Coach

Anyone want Nomar? The one times he's healthy, he cant hit anymore
MrBug708 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2007, 07:00 AM   #1184
Ksyrup

Poor Matt Cain. 2-9, but with a 3.37 ERA. According to Joe Morgan, this guy is a bum!
Old 06-28-2007, 08:01 AM   #1185
CraigSca
Pro Starter

My daughter will be honorary batgirl at tonight's Orioles-Yankees game as the O's look for the sweep !
how do you know?

CraigSca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2007, 08:23 AM   #1186
DaddyTorgo
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by CraigSca View Post
My daughter will be honorary batgirl at tonight's Orioles-Yankees game as the O's look for the sweep !

i'll send her $5 if she kicks A-Fraud or Jeter or the caveman-traitor in the shins.
DaddyTorgo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2007, 08:27 AM   #1187
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

Quote:

neat!!

I hope pine tar washes off easily
Lathum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2007, 08:46 AM   #1188
Ksyrup

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaddyTorgo View Post
i'll send her $5 if she kicks A-Fraud or Jeter or the caveman-traitor in the shins.

I'd settle for her to distract the firstbase ump while an Oriole fan reaches over the fence and catches an Orioles' warning track flyball that is called a HR and wins the game.
Old 06-28-2007, 08:58 AM   #1189
MikeVic
Head Coach

Quote:

That's cool!
Old 06-28-2007, 10:52 AM   #1190
MizzouRah
Hall Of Famer

F'n Glavine and the Mets.. and RAIN!!!!!!!
MizzouRah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2007, 12:33 PM   #1191
Oilers9911
College Benchwarmer

Frank Thomas hits #500 off Carlos Silva and the Twins...and his average creeps over .240! Way to go big Frank!
Oilers9911 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2007, 02:41 PM   #1192
MikeVic
Head Coach

So I stumbled across a wiki entry on Josh Gibson, and then followed that up with Satchel Paige.

I also read a couple more websites that had mini-biographies of Paige. Is there any concrete literature on these two players? Or is anything bound to have some information that can't be proved? Paige interests me more actually. It seems like he played against better competition than Gibson, and seems like a really interesting player.
Old 06-29-2007, 07:07 AM   #1193
Ksyrup

Watching the Orioles/Yankees game last night was painful. Yankees have a 4-2 lead, then promptly blow it to go down 6-4. Then the downpour starts. But it lets up long enough to play the top of the 8th. Orioles bring in John "Todd Jones" Parrish, who walks the first 2 guys of the inning. Always a good idea when protecting a lead. I didn't see what happened next, but next thing I know it's 6-6, Chris Ray is in, there are 2 outs, and the rain has come back, and I mean it's pouring. Instead of calling the game right there, the umps - apparently trying to help the Orioles - keep letting them play, seemingly hoping they can get that last out of the inning. But no, they give up a couple more hits, and Jeter knocks in the go-ahead runs. And at that point, the game is called and play ultimately suspended.

What a joke that was. It was like watching a soccer game in extra time, where the ref continues to let the team on the offensive play on until they are stopped, at which point time is "magically" up. One of the Orioles got pissed and was arguing with the umps over it. That was BS.
Old 06-29-2007, 07:40 AM   #1194
Butter
Coordinator

Same thing happened to the Reds last night. Water was pooling on the field for a good 5-10 minutes, but they kept letting the Phillies bat until they got the game-winning hit. Such crap.
Old 06-29-2007, 08:18 AM   #1195
sterlingice
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeVic View Post
So I stumbled across a wiki entry on Josh Gibson, and then followed that up with Satchel Paige.

I also read a couple more websites that had mini-biographies of Paige. Is there any concrete literature on these two players? Or is anything bound to have some information that can't be proved? Paige interests me more actually. It seems like he played against better competition than Gibson, and seems like a really interesting player.

It's really hard to find Negro Leagues information and "official" Negro Leagues stats for parts of history. Later on in the league's life, there are better stats but early on there's not much to go on.

SI

Old 06-29-2007, 10:07 PM   #1196
Atocep
Coordinator

Is it safe to say Alex Gordon has things firgured out now? He has an .885 OPS in June, although he dug him self such a huge hole in April/May that his line is still only .240/.331/.376
Old 06-29-2007, 11:05 PM   #1197
k0ruptr
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atocep View Post
Is it safe to say Alex Gordon has things firgured out now? He has an .885 OPS in June, although he dug him self such a huge hole in April/May that his line is still only .240/.331/.376

I'd say so, but don't ask Joe Morgan.
Old 06-29-2007, 11:14 PM   #1198
Ksyrup

Nice catch Dave Roberts!
Old 06-29-2007, 11:28 PM   #1199
lighthousekeeper
College Starter

Quote:
Nice catch Dave Roberts!

I wonder how soon after his games he checks this thread.
Old 06-29-2007, 11:33 PM   #1200
Ksyrup

Denny Green passes my messages to him by 8:30 the next morning.