Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Archives > FOFC Archive
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 06-05-2006, 09:37 PM   #1151
RendeR
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by bsak16
Wait what was Staal in the box for?

I think they got the high stick call that I thought they missed.

HOLY SHIT...Roloson just got fucking crushed in the goal.....hope he ok, I'd hate to see them play this without him in goal.
RendeR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2006, 09:37 PM   #1152
Dr. Sak
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maple Leafs
Heck of a game...

Do Hurricans fans know the rules, or do they just automatically boo whenever a call goes against them?

No but HurricanE's fans know the rules
Dr. Sak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2006, 09:39 PM   #1153
Maple Leafs
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by bsak16
No but HurricanE's fans know the rules
Hey spelling Nazi, work in some punctuation.
Old 06-05-2006, 09:41 PM   #1154
Dr. Sak
Grizzled Veteran

Odds that the Oilers goalie has a load in his pants?
Old 06-05-2006, 09:41 PM   #1155
RendeR
Coordinator

Hopefully Rolly will be back Wednesday night.
Old 06-05-2006, 09:46 PM   #1156
kingfc22
Head Coach

Are you able to sub a goalie back into the game? If so, Roloson could be back in OT.
Old 06-05-2006, 09:52 PM   #1157
Dr. Sak
Grizzled Veteran

In Rod We Trust

What a crappy way to end a great game...

Last edited by Dr. Sak : 06-05-2006 at 09:52 PM.
Old 06-05-2006, 09:52 PM   #1158
kingfc22
Head Coach

ouch
Old 06-05-2006, 09:52 PM   #1159
Maple Leafs
Coordinator

Oh my...
Old 06-05-2006, 09:54 PM   #1160
Dr. Sak
Grizzled Veteran

HOLY SHIT WARD!!
Old 06-05-2006, 09:54 PM   #1161
kingfc22
Head Coach

oh my again
Old 06-05-2006, 09:54 PM   #1162
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Conklin = OOPS
Ward = OMG
Old 06-05-2006, 09:54 PM   #1163
Maple Leafs
Coordinator

Jesus...
Old 06-05-2006, 09:55 PM   #1164
Travis
Pro Rookie

Congratulations Cam Ward.

Bergeron, nice (expletive deleted) job idiot. I hope the team rips you a new one in the locker room after this game.
Travis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2006, 10:01 PM   #1165
sterlingice
Hall Of Famer

Amazing game 1. Hopefully the rest of them live up to it.

SI

Janos: "Only America could produce an imbecile of your caliber!"
Freakazoid: "That's because we make lots of things better than other people!"

sterlingice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2006, 10:02 PM   #1166
RendeR
Coordinator

I gotta believe that if they lose Rolly for the series this ends 4-0.
Old 06-05-2006, 10:08 PM   #1167
Travis
Pro Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by RendeR
I gotta believe that if they lose Rolly for the series this ends 4-0.

Dude, seriously. Ward played lights out for big stretches of the game tonight and still gave up 4 goals and needed what, 4-6 ridiculous saves to win? Never mind two mind numbing plays by Bergeron (short handed goal and essentially hitting his own goalie) to set up two of Carolina's goals.

No way do they get swept. Does this make it a harder journey to take the series deep and/or win, definitely.

Give them a little credit, especially considering you were making it sound like the Oilers would be lucky to get on the scoresheet in this series.
Old 06-05-2006, 10:09 PM   #1168
Dr. Sak
Grizzled Veteran

According to Mactavish's post game press conference, Rolly is out for the series.
Old 06-05-2006, 10:09 PM   #1169
sterlingice
Hall Of Famer

Oh, damn. Rolly's out

SI

Janos: "Only America could produce an imbecile of your caliber!"
Freakazoid: "That's because we make lots of things better than other people!"

sterlingice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2006, 10:16 PM   #1170
RendeR
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Travis
Dude, seriously. Ward played lights out for big stretches of the game tonight and still gave up 4 goals and needed what, 4-6 ridiculous saves to win? Never mind two mind numbing plays by Bergeron (short handed goal and essentially hitting his own goalie) to set up two of Carolina's goals.

No way do they get swept. Does this make it a harder journey to take the series deep and/or win, definitely.

Give them a little credit, especially considering you were making it sound like the Oilers would be lucky to get on the scoresheet in this series.

#1 I never, EVER said they wouldn't score, I simply said they're outclassed and will get beat. I figured 5-6 games tops.

#2 You seem to think Roloson was having cupcakes at the other end? he made nearly as many great saves as Ward did.

Now the one thing I DID state from the beginning was experience, and without Roloson the Oilers experience level plummets to ZERO in the goal, the single most important position on the ice.

Someone else mentioned that Edmonton played down to everyone this season and aren't getting any respect because of it, maybe thats true, maybe too, they've just been riding one helluva string with a goalie who was super hot and now thats over. Who knows? we'll see.

I don't have to give anyone any credit for anything until I see it happen on the ice. Roloson used to play for Buffalo, I know he can be an amazing goaltender. I also know that the Oilers defensemen took a giant dump on the ice where he should have been at the top of his game because his backup goalie was in there.

I see the experience tipping this series all to Hartford.

Without Roloson and his magic, I just don't put any faith in the Oilers getting close to the cup. 4-0 is possible, 4-1 is probably where it will go.
Old 06-05-2006, 10:40 PM   #1171
Wolfpack
Pro Rookie

No gloating from me, personally. We are so lucky. The first period-and-a-half is basically what I envision in hindsight the Buffalo series probably would have been had they had a healthy defense. We couldn't get it out of our end and we couldn't keep it in theirs. We are a horrible, horrible first period team for whatever reason right now.

Still, it took tremendous guts to battle back after getting into that 3-0 hole and having everything go wrong (aside from killing off extended 5-on-3 time in the first period). In the end, it is a shame that Roli is apparently out for the series. I will admit that was a pretty cheap way to win after all that came before it, but I'm taking it anyway.

I don't know how Edmonton will respond. Knowing their #1 goalie is gone means they'll probably have to play a lot more defensively than they'd like to protect whoever the replacement will be, at least until he gets his confidence up. They also have to absorb the psychological hit of giving up a 3-0 lead and then the giveaway at the end when it looked like they could settle up for OT and steal it then. Regardless, given Carolina's penchant for never quite figuring out how to play until sometime in the second period, I do not expect it will be easy on Wednesday.
Wolfpack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2006, 11:13 PM   #1172
Karim
College Starter

This thing is done like dinner. Maybe Edmonton squeaks one out with Conkanen.

I hope Bergeron sleeps well tonight.
Karim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2006, 11:23 PM   #1173
Honolulu_Blue
Hockey Boy

Great game. Great, great game.

Nothing beats the NHL playoffs.

The one thing Edmonton could not afford was an injury to Roloson. Their biggest weakness was depth at goal. Very sad to see it happen. You just had to know that as soon as Conklin entered the game he was going to blow it. Some way, some how. No question in my mind. If Rolli is out for the series it's really too bad. I can't see Edmonton rallying from that. It could mean an early end to what could have been a classic series.

Well, maybe Conkanen will rise to the challenge. I doubt it, but I guess it could happen. . .

Cam Ward did have some astoundingly good saves tonight. Both of his glove saves on Horcoff were amazing, game-saving type saves. That's exactly the type of netminding that wins you a Cup. You don't have to stop them all, you just have to steal a couple and make the timely ones.
Steve Yzerman: 1,755 points in 1,514 regular season games. 185 points in 196 postseason games. A First-Team All-Star, Conn Smythe Trophy winner, Selke Trophy winner, Masterton Trophy winner, member of the Hockey Hall of Fame, Olympic gold medallist, and a three-time Stanley Cup Champion. Longest serving captain of one team in the history of the NHL (19 seasons).
Honolulu_Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2006, 01:23 AM   #1174
Young Drachma
Dark Cloud

Ugh. Hockey in Carolina.
Old 06-06-2006, 06:02 AM   #1175
gstelmack
Pro Starter

Still can't believe Carolina pulled out the win, especially the way they stunk it up for a period-and-a-half. I think Laviollette has to have them working on puck handling for the offseason; can a guy on the point just stop the freakin' puck for once? I loved the one where the defenseman (whose name I never caught) went down on his knees to block it with his body and it STILL skittered back to Cam Ward. But if Carolina showed one thing tonight, it's that they can score at will when they put their minds to it and play like they are capable of.

Also disappointed to see Rolosson go. You want to beat a team at its best, not when their key component gets injured for the series. My sympathy to the Oilers.
Old 06-06-2006, 06:50 AM   #1176
albionmoonlight
Head Coach

Go Canes.

I agree about sympathy to the Oilers, though. Key injuries suck.
albionmoonlight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2006, 08:29 AM   #1177
Draft Dodger
Coordinator

what an amazing game.

I mean, geez, Pronger's penalty shot? Hemsky's gorgeous goal to make it 4-4? Those 2 amazing saves Ward made on Horcoff? Roloson getting hurt? Conklin and Smith flubbing it with 30 seconds left? Brind'Amour looking like he's 90 years old?

just incredible
Old 06-06-2006, 09:38 AM   #1178
bbor
Pro Starter

Paging Grant Fuhr and Andy Moog......

Hell page Ron Low while your at it.

Now that I've cracked and made that admission, I wonder if I'm only a couple of steps away from wanting to tongue-kiss Jaromir Jagr and give Bobby Clarke a blowjob.
bbor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2006, 09:56 AM   #1179
Maple Leafs
Coordinator

Maybe Hasek is ready to go by now.
Old 06-06-2006, 10:16 AM   #1180
Travis
Pro Rookie

Well, it's time to see just how good MacT can be. The knock on both Conklin and Markkanen is that while they are NHL calibre goalies, they can't sustain their play for a full season as a #1 guy. Well, at this point, neither has to, they just have to play 3-6 games. When either is one, they are good enough to be a true #1, so if MacT taps the right guy on the shoulder going forward, they'll be okay. I fully expect Conklin to get the nod in game 2 if for no other reason than to get the end of game 1 out of his head, but it'll be a short leash.

It'll be interesting to see how the rest of the team reacts to having a backup in, but with the situation being what it is, I fully expect them to come out aggressive and with some extra jump. This is the sort of situation that will either kill a team or create an unlikely Cup hero, and I'm certainly pulling for the latter.
Old 06-06-2006, 05:00 PM   #1181
Honolulu_Blue
Hockey Boy

Perhaps an upside here is that expectations on Conklin are so low, maybe that eases the pressure and gives something for the team to rally around. Also, it seems like the one of the themes of this year's playoffs has been the emergence of the former back-up goalie: Bryzgalov, Toskala, and Ward being the prime examples.

Edmonton had a 3-0 lead on Carolina. I can't recall any spectacular save that Roloson was forced to make during the first 40 minutes or so. Roloson didn't even play that great. I certainly think that Conkanen has the potential to play as well as Roloson did last night and that was a 1 goal game that went down to the wire.

There is hope yet for the Oil.

The Oilers just have to play their agressive, forechecking style of hockey and take care of things in their own end. I saw them shutdown Detroit, San Jose, and Anaheim for long stretches. You just have to hope they can play with confidence in front of either of the goalies. That will be the real test. Carolina did not look indestructible by any means.
Steve Yzerman: 1,755 points in 1,514 regular season games. 185 points in 196 postseason games. A First-Team All-Star, Conn Smythe Trophy winner, Selke Trophy winner, Masterton Trophy winner, member of the Hockey Hall of Fame, Olympic gold medallist, and a three-time Stanley Cup Champion. Longest serving captain of one team in the history of the NHL (19 seasons).
Honolulu_Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2006, 05:29 PM   #1182
Peregrine
Pro Starter

Really an incredible Game 1. I was very disappointed to see the severity of Roloson's injury, I hate seeing a player get hurt like that. I can't wait till Game 2, I'll be there!
Peregrine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2006, 07:06 PM   #1183
Karim
College Starter

In other news...

We'll be seeing exhibition games next season between NHL clubs and the Russian SuperLeague. No word yet on which teams will be involved, or when they will take place. Clearly this is a concession on behalf of the league to put more rubles in Russia in exchange for a transfer agreement.
http://en.rian.ru/sports/20060606/49106187.html
Karim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2006, 08:18 PM   #1184
Wolfpack
Pro Rookie

If it isn't news already (though Peregrine seems to have hinted at it a little), it's pretty much certain that Roloson is done with a 3rd-degree sprained MCL.
Old 06-06-2006, 10:23 PM   #1185
bbor
Pro Starter

How does Mc T know 5 minutes after the game that Rolo is done?

Now that I've cracked and made that admission, I wonder if I'm only a couple of steps away from wanting to tongue-kiss Jaromir Jagr and give Bobby Clarke a blowjob.
Old 06-06-2006, 10:48 PM   #1186
Wolfpack
Pro Rookie

He did mention it was similar to another injury another player had had, so he probably had some understanding of the severity if not the precise diagnosis of the problem.
Old 06-06-2006, 10:50 PM   #1187
RendeR
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by bbor

Any sports doctor and physical therapist/sports therapy type person will be able to recognize an injury that is severe enough to eliminate you from a 1 week period of performing. Especially those working for professional clubs. I'd put money on the fact that the team trainers knew he was done before they got him off the ice.
Old 06-07-2006, 11:27 AM   #1188
Fidatelo
Pro Starter

Quote:

I think he could come back, and that the statements after the game by MacT are gamesmanship. I think his hope is that Carolina gets the "this will be easy now" thoughts into their heads. Conkanen will start tonight, and MacT is hoping to catch Carolina being overconfidant and stealing one in Carolina.

If they steal one, they go back to Edmonton 1-1, now the holders of home ice advantage. Then MacT can unveil Rolly for game 3 and really stick a shiv into Carolina's back, simultaneously pumping up his own team and fans. Or he can save Rolly for game 4 hoping to get a decent game out of Conkanen, but if not knowing that the boost of having Rolly back in game 4 will stop any downwards momentum from a loss.

If they don't get the steal, they are still only down 0-2 and heading back home. He unveils Rolly for game 3 to boost the team and fans.

"By gawd! Its Dwayne Rollosson! Rolly is starting! The fans are going crazy! Carolina is seeing a ghost! This is unbelievable!"
"Breakfast? Breakfast schmekfast, look at the score for God's sake. It's only the second period and I'm winning 12-2. Breakfasts come and go, Rene, but Hartford, the Whale, they only beat Vancouver maybe once or twice in a lifetime."
Fidatelo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2006, 11:32 AM   #1189
Pumpy Tudors
Bounty Hunter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fidatelo
"By gawd! Its Dwayne Rollosson! Rolly is starting! The fans are going crazy! Carolina is seeing a ghost! This is unbelievable!"
If ever I thought a player would have a Willis Reed-like return in this year's NHL playoffs, I think Dwayne Roloson would be my last guess.

Well, maybe next-to-last, right ahead of Blair Betts.
Old 06-07-2006, 11:37 AM   #1190
Wolfpack
Pro Rookie

The Willis Reed Theory, then? I'm not certain how easy it is to recover from a 3rd-degree MCL sprain, but I wouldn't put it past it happening, at least for a game six. Laviolette was generally trying to downplay the severity precisely because of something like this.

I doubt he'd be back by Saturday, though, judging by what has been said. If he was healthy enough to be back by Saturday, he'd probably be healthy enough tonight to at least try to play. Plus, if it's an MCL sprain (even if it's less severe), trying to play on it as a goalie would be a bear and a half given all the butterflying, kicking, and other things goalies need to do.
Old 06-07-2006, 11:40 AM   #1191
st.cronin
General Manager

A 3rd degree MCL sprain takes about 3-5 weeks to recover from. I doubt Roloson can do it.

knives out
st.cronin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2006, 02:02 PM   #1192
Fidatelo
Pro Starter

You guys are all assuming that the information we have about Rolly's injury is actually correct. Does no one question why 99% of all injuries in the playoffs are described as "upper body" or "lower body" and yet we instantly know that this guy has a 3rd degree MCL sprain?

I'm guessing his actual injury is to his arm, and that its only bad enough to keep him out for 3-5 days.
"Breakfast? Breakfast schmekfast, look at the score for God's sake. It's only the second period and I'm winning 12-2. Breakfasts come and go, Rene, but Hartford, the Whale, they only beat Vancouver maybe once or twice in a lifetime."
Old 06-07-2006, 02:29 PM   #1193
bbor
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fidatelo
You guys are all assuming that the information we have about Rolly's injury is actually correct. Does no one question why 99% of all injuries in the playoffs are described as "upper body" or "lower body" and yet we instantly know that this guy has a 3rd degree MCL sprain?

I'm guessing his actual injury is to his arm, and that its only bad enough to keep him out for 3-5 days.

This is what i was trying to get at.All playoffs McT has been hiding injuries...now all of a sudden he blurts out his goalie is finished 5 minutes after the game is done?

Did no one else see that red herring hanging out of his pocket?

Old 06-07-2006, 03:37 PM   #1194
Peregrine
Pro Starter

Keep in mind that the 3rd degree MCL diagnosis wasn't instant, it wasn't reported until the next day. All he said at the time was that the injury would keep Roloson out for the series, which Roloson himself has confirmed. I'd be perfectly fine with Roli coming back as I hate to see him hurt like that, but after a point it starts seeming more like conspiracy theory than anything else.
Peregrine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2006, 06:28 PM   #1195
gstelmack
Pro Starter

Do you honestly think that if McT pulls some trick like this with Rolly that the Canes won't find a way to work Erik Cole back into the lineup for the following game?
Old 06-07-2006, 06:31 PM   #1196
Maple Leafs
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by gstelmack
Do you honestly think that if McT pulls some trick like this with Rolly that the Canes won't find a way to work Erik Cole back into the lineup for the following game?
Probably playing on a line with Francis. Hope they can shut down Gretzky and Messier.
Old 06-07-2006, 06:49 PM   #1197
Draft Dodger
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Karim
In other news...

We'll be seeing exhibition games next season between NHL clubs and the Russian SuperLeague. No word yet on which teams will be involved, or when they will take place. Clearly this is a concession on behalf of the league to put more rubles in Russia in exchange for a transfer agreement.
http://en.rian.ru/sports/20060606/49106187.html

so, one way or another, we'll finally see Malkin?
Old 06-07-2006, 07:26 PM   #1198
Fidatelo
Pro Starter

Damn this is good hockey! I don't really care who wins the series, but I sure hope it goes 7!
Old 06-07-2006, 08:17 PM   #1199
RendeR
Coordinator

Quote:
This is what i was trying to get at.All playoffs McT has been hiding injuries...now all of a sudden he blurts out his goalie is finished 5 minutes after the game is done?

Did no one else see that red herring hanging out of his pocket?

There is no herring, red or otherwise, this is a simple matter that he knows Rolly is done for the season at this point, there is no good reason to hide it or even try covering the fact up.

The hidden injury bit is used to protect guys that come back still hurt and play hurt so the opposing team can't zero in on the injury and knock the guy back out of the game 5 minutes into the game.

This is not it.
Old 06-07-2006, 08:22 PM   #1200
RendeR
Coordinator

2-0 and Edmonton is looking like someone killed their favorite puppy. not a good sign for a team that lives and dies on emotion.