Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Archives > FOFC Archive
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 01-10-2006, 08:49 AM   #1151
Marc Vaughan
SI Games

I'd only suggest using the swap positions on wingers if you're very very confident that you have truly world class players in your squad - if you don't then its more likely you'll find them in the wrong place at the wrong time.

More commonly use it on DR/MR or DL/ML combinations to encourage cross-overs ...
Marc Vaughan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2006, 08:51 AM   #1152
WSUCougar
Rider Of Rohan

Hey Marc, while you're sniffing around in here...

Is there an available definition list for player's favorite moves? I am puzzled by several of them.

Thanks in advance!
Old 01-10-2006, 08:54 AM   #1153
MikeVick7
College Benchwarmer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marc Vaughan
I'd only suggest using the swap positions on wingers if you're very very confident that you have truly world class players in your squad - if you don't then its more likely you'll find them in the wrong place at the wrong time.

More commonly use it on DR/MR or DL/ML combinations to encourage cross-overs ...
But what exactly are the advantages of players crossing over?

Does it come into play when...let's say my left winger gets dragged over to the right sid due to the nature of the play and then since he and the right winger know to switch positions he will just stay over on that side so the team doesn't leave a big gap on the left side waiting for him to get back over there?
Old 01-10-2006, 09:05 AM   #1154
FrogMan
Hattrick Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeVick7
But what exactly are the advantages of players crossing over?

Does it come into play when...let's say my left winger gets dragged over to the right sid due to the nature of the play and then since he and the right winger know to switch positions he will just stay over on that side so the team doesn't leave a big gap on the left side waiting for him to get back over there?

I liken it to having an offensive defender in hockey, à la Paul Coffey, a guy who likes to go forward on the wing and effectively switch position for a little while with the winger on his side.

I have a DR on my current Luton Town squad, Kevin Foley, who does this fairly often, without me asking him since he's got the prefered move of "likes to go forward whenever possible" so I wouldn't even think about asking him to switch as I'd almost fear he'd feel like making the switch a permanent one

Seriously, he is amazing at crossing the ball into the box and he does switch with his side winger quite well...

FM
Old 01-10-2006, 11:33 AM   #1155
PraetorianX
High School JV

Err, this is odd...

Strang Table...

That looks really odd to me...Now, I'm will to accept that perhaps Malaga B gets relegated because Malaga A is being relegated from Primera, and that Castilla may not get promoted because Real Madrid is, obviously, in Primera Division.

But I don't get Albecete. Now, I'd love for them to not get promoted if it meant I could nab Mark Gonzalez...but thats a bit odd looking.

Also, Mark, an annoying bug I've had for some time now...when a player makes a fuss about something, sometimes when I answer him, I get two messages about my reply...and this results in two responses from the player...which isn't a problem when they're both the same...but when one is negative and the other positive, it's annoying.
PraetorianX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2006, 11:44 AM   #1156
MikeVick7
College Benchwarmer

Oh and what's up with this?

Let's say I'm offering a new contract to one of my players and the player/agent will say that he requires $15,000 per week for example. So I offer him a new contract, basically as it's initially laid out on the screen, and then I'll get an email saying how the player will not accept the wage amount. Well he was the one that threw out that amount so why is he not accepting it? Then if I go back in and offer him a new contract, the wage amount requested will be the same. This is something that has always confused me.
Old 01-10-2006, 11:50 AM   #1157
WSUCougar
Rider Of Rohan

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeVick7
Oh and what's up with this?

Let's say I'm offering a new contract to one of my players and the player/agent will say that he requires $15,000 per week for example. So I offer him a new contract, basically as it's initially laid out on the screen, and then I'll get an email saying how the player will not accept the wage amount. Well he was the one that threw out that amount so why is he not accepting it? Then if I go back in and offer him a new contract, the wage amount requested will be the same. This is something that has always confused me.
Ditto. My guy claimed the offered wage was a "pittance" despite it being exactly what he'd asked for.
Old 01-10-2006, 01:10 PM   #1158
Cards4ever
College Benchwarmer

Anybody get a "array access" error? Do I have to delete and restart my career?
Old 01-10-2006, 01:38 PM   #1159
PraetorianX
High School JV

Yeah, I've gotten that bit about wage demands once or twice before too. Strange. Footballers...

Also, Marc...I'm having some problems with Friendlies. Used to, it was that I'd try to schedule some, and they'd be accepted...but anything over four just...vanished. Now, I've got my AssMan doing it, but lately I've had several cases where like either he or another team will offer a friendly, I'll accept, and then a day or two later...it's cancelled! I was really looking forward to my friendly (at Xerez) with Real Madrid too,

Oh, and about the previous thing...I figured out that Albecete didn't have one cuz they were still fighting for the championship. Though, I think they should prolly have been given a P untill it was official that they were champions, oh well.
Old 01-10-2006, 04:01 PM   #1160
PraetorianX
High School JV

Wow, now this is awesome SI!

Greedy little...

I just wish I could tell him to either take GAK's deal, or sit on the bench all year at Xerez. Oh well. Still cool. Lucky for him, I'm not in the best financial situation and the good that'll come from his transfer outweighs the bad.
Old 01-10-2006, 04:34 PM   #1161
Sweed
College Benchwarmer

I"ve been playing, or more accuratly, trying to play this game off and on. As I've said before I'm a complete noob to this type of football both in dealing with strategy on the pitch and roster moves ie transfers, buying, and selling. Not to mention dealing with so many different levels of competition and then throw in promotion and relegation on top of it all, something this Yank has never had to deal with in his professional sports leagues.

I have been thinking of picking up a ps2 game like "Winning 11" (I"ve heard this is the best one) to try to help me out at least on the strategy side of the game. Anyone esle play any of these games? Any opinion whether this would be a waste of time and money or if it might actually help?

I'd prefer to watch games on tv to help me learn about the game. But where I live matches are few and far between unless you count the occasional game shown on one of the two Mexican channels we get on our cable system and I don't speak spanish.

Thanks
Sweed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2006, 04:38 PM   #1162
sovereignstar
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sweed
I'd prefer to watch games on tv to help me learn about the game. But where I live matches are few and far between unless you count the occasional game shown on one of the two Mexican channels we get on our cable system and I don't speak spanish.

I can point you in the right direction if you want to watch some taped games on the computer. Need a BitTorrent client though.

Last edited by sovereignstar : 01-10-2006 at 04:38 PM.
sovereignstar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2006, 04:43 PM   #1163
Sweed
College Benchwarmer

Quote:
Originally Posted by sovereignstar
I can point you in the right direction if you want to watch some taped games on the computer. Need a BitTorrent client though.

I don't know what a bit torrent client is but if you have links to info on that and the taped matches I'll sure take a look.

Thanks
Old 01-10-2006, 04:47 PM   #1164
Godzilla Blitz
College Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cards4ever
Anybody get a "array access" error? Do I have to delete and restart my career?

Yes, I've gotten that twice now, when negotiating contracts.

No, you don't have to restart. The game kicked me to Windows when that happened. I just clicked back on the game in the task bar and immediately saved it under a different name. Quit Football Manager and then restarted and the game was fine.

Last edited by Godzilla Blitz : 01-10-2006 at 05:29 PM.
Godzilla Blitz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2006, 04:53 PM   #1165
Godzilla Blitz
College Starter

Dola...

I've been playing this game a ton in the past couple of weeks. Played Workington in the Conference North for a bit then decided that my game was too clunky because of how many leagues I selected. Started a new game unemployed then took the first job opening in Northern Ireland's lowest division. Trying to build them up to the top then leverage that job performance into an offer to come to England Conference North or South.

Been writing a small dynasty about the second game:
Lurgan Celtic
Old 01-10-2006, 04:53 PM   #1166
path12
Coordinator

Quote:
I"ve been playing, or more accuratly, trying to play this game off and on. As I've said before I'm a complete noob to this type of football both in dealing with strategy on the pitch and roster moves ie transfers, buying, and selling. Not to mention dealing with so many different levels of competition and then throw in promotion and relegation on top of it all, something this Yank has never had to deal with in his professional sports leagues.

I have been thinking of picking up a ps2 game like "Winning 11" (I"ve heard this is the best one) to try to help me out at least on the strategy side of the game. Anyone esle play any of these games? Any opinion whether this would be a waste of time and money or if it might actually help?

Thanks

I think your best bet is to pick up Marc's tip guide off of the SI website. It was new to me way back when I started playing this game (damn, five years now!) and that was a BIG help for me.
Old 01-10-2006, 05:05 PM   #1167
sovereignstar
Pro Starter

Quote:
I don't know what a bit torrent client is but if you have links to info on that and the taped matches I'll sure take a look.

Thanks

PM sent.
Old 01-10-2006, 05:23 PM   #1168
samifan24
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Godzilla Blitz
Dola...

I've been playing this game a ton in the past couple of weeks. Played Workington in the Conference North for a bit then decided that my game was too clunky because of how many leagues I selected. Started a new game unemployed then took the first job opening in Northern Ireland's lowest division. Trying to build them up to the top then leverage that job performance into an offer to come to England Conference North or South.

Been writing a small dynasty about the second game:
Lurgan Celtic

I started a career out unemployed with all of the UK running and was actually offered the Lurgan job but declined because I was "familiar" with that team through your dynasty. I waited and was hired as manager of Burscough in the English Conference North.
Old 01-10-2006, 05:27 PM   #1169
path12
Coordinator

By the way, since downloading the Digital River patch I've gotten some strange things happen when loading the game, notably the box congratulating me for trying the demo. After that, my game doesn't load but CTD's. Usually rebooting fixes it. Has anyone else noticed this?
Old 01-10-2006, 05:31 PM   #1170
Godzilla Blitz
College Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by samifan24
I started a career out unemployed with all of the UK running and was actually offered the Lurgan job but declined because I was "familiar" with that team through your dynasty. I waited and was hired as manager of Burscough in the English Conference North.

Neat. How's the game going?
Old 01-10-2006, 06:06 PM   #1171
Sweed
College Benchwarmer

Quote:
PM sent.

You have a reply, and thanks for the help.
Old 01-10-2006, 06:14 PM   #1172
Cards4ever
College Benchwarmer

Quote:
Yes, I've gotten that twice now, when negotiating contracts.

No, you don't have to restart. The game kicked me to Windows when that happened. I just clicked back on the game in the task bar and immediately saved it under a different name. Quit Football Manager and then restarted and the game was fine.

Thanks GB I'll give that a try.
Old 01-10-2006, 07:55 PM   #1173
Karim
College Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by path12
By the way, since downloading the Digital River patch I've gotten some strange things happen when loading the game, notably the box congratulating me for trying the demo. After that, my game doesn't load but CTD's. Usually rebooting fixes it. Has anyone else noticed this?
A few people on the SI boards are having the same problem. I basically have to reload the game every time now. So far, that seems to work.
Karim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2006, 12:58 AM   #1174
Godzilla Blitz
College Starter

Quote:

I feel sorry for everyone that got the digital download from them, but this is too funny. Took them how long to put up the patch? And then they broke it in the process? You're kidding, right?
Old 01-11-2006, 06:48 AM   #1175
Karim
College Starter

Quote:
I feel sorry for everyone that got the digital download from them, but this is too funny. Took them how long to put up the patch? And then they broke it in the process? You're kidding, right?
Unfortunately, no. It takes about 2 minutes on my machine to load the saved game (~ 350MB and growing) only to have it crash back to the desktop since it thinks I've using the demo. I then restart the game and it works.

I just hope it continues to work in some fashion...
Karim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2006, 07:14 AM   #1176
FrogMan
Hattrick Moderator

Quote:

Just the way I feel about the whole thing. It's kinda sad that I have the digidownload version and while it works fine, I consider myself extremely lucky not to have the crashes. It shouldn't be that way...

I sympathise with my FOFC brethren who are having a rough time with it...

FM
Old 01-11-2006, 07:37 AM   #1177
Koryo
n00b

I'm enjoying this game but there are still numerous bugs that need sorted.
Koryo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2006, 08:21 AM   #1178
PraetorianX
High School JV

Quote:

Yup, same deal. Also, if you just start a new game...when you get to 6 months, it'll crash. Strangely, that helped me in my current Xerez game...I had saved and exited to go watch the NFL playoffs, came back played my next game and immediately after losing quite badly got that...since it said it saved I figured I wouldn't have to replay, but apparently it didn't save, so I had to replay...and won.

I chalk that one up to God being a fan.

But yes, I have to restart my game each day...it's annoying, but oh well. It'd be nice if we could get some sort of fix for that, and for the threading issue, since these are download only problems.
Old 01-11-2006, 08:56 AM   #1179
Cards4ever
College Benchwarmer

I continued getting the array access out of bounds error and ending up doing the check disk, went back in there were no fixtures for my team! So, I ended up deleting the old game and starting a new one.
Old 01-11-2006, 09:07 AM   #1180
MrIllini
High School Varsity

I am getting the demo notice, followed by an error (I believe R6025, can't recall off the top).

Restarting the game produces the same result.

This is frustrating to no end.
Old 01-11-2006, 09:42 AM   #1181
Marc Vaughan
SI Games

Quote:
Originally Posted by Koryo
I'm enjoying this game but there are still numerous bugs that need sorted.
Care to elaborate on this?
Marc Vaughan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2006, 10:38 AM   #1182
Koryo
n00b

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marc Vaughan
Care to elaborate on this?

Off the top of my head:
1. Games where you go in and your team is on a 10 game winning streak and during the match you see the message: XXXX is in control, this will be their 10th win in a row. When in reality it is the 11th win.

2. Messages about playing games at <%stadium> in the news section. Usually see from a game being played between 2 National teams.

3. Telling a player that he will get more time playing in the first team in the coming weeks and he responds that he is delighted with the managers comments and has seen a far greater commitment from the manager to get him into first team action in recent weeks...but you haven't really done this and the player is still unhappy.

4. Players who complain that they aren't getting playing time, but the reason they haven't been is because they are suspended (and have been for the last 2 or 3 games) by the league and you can't play them.

5. "upto" is two words, isn't it?

There's more that caught my eye. Its hard for me to remember not being at home with my notes to look at, but I'll bring them in and post them if you want.

Last edited by Koryo : 01-11-2006 at 10:41 AM.
Old 01-11-2006, 10:46 AM   #1183
path12
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by PraetorianX
Yup, same deal. Also, if you just start a new game...when you get to 6 months, it'll crash. Strangely, that helped me in my current Xerez game...I had saved and exited to go watch the NFL playoffs, came back played my next game and immediately after losing quite badly got that...since it said it saved I figured I wouldn't have to replay, but apparently it didn't save, so I had to replay...and won.

I chalk that one up to God being a fan.

But yes, I have to restart my game each day...it's annoying, but oh well. It'd be nice if we could get some sort of fix for that, and for the threading issue, since these are download only problems.

Crap, I just started a new game because I thought that would help. This really sucks -- I've been playing this game for five years and have never had issues like this.
Old 01-11-2006, 10:47 AM   #1184
Koryo
n00b

6. The intermittent sound loss when using the quick changes in games.
Old 01-11-2006, 10:49 AM   #1185
FrogMan
Hattrick Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Koryo
6. The intermittent sound loss when using the quick changes in games.

That's my main one, very annoying...

FM
Old 01-11-2006, 11:17 AM   #1186
PraetorianX
High School JV

Quote:
Crap, I just started a new game because I thought that would help. This really sucks -- I've been playing this game for five years and have never had issues like this.

I've always been able to get it working when I restart immediately afterwards, I've never had it come back with that error again while playing unless I exit out of it for awhile.
Old 01-11-2006, 11:49 AM   #1187
sovereignstar
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by FrogMan
That's my main one, very annoying...

FM

Maybe you knew this already, but after you use the quick tactics and the sound "breaks", just pause and unpause real quick. The sound will be back.
Old 01-11-2006, 11:50 AM   #1188
FrogMan
Hattrick Moderator

Quote:
Maybe you knew this already, but after you use the quick tactics and the sound "breaks", just pause and unpause real quick. The sound will be back.

I know that, but I still find it VERY annoying to have to do that...

FM
Old 01-11-2006, 11:52 AM   #1189
sovereignstar
Pro Starter

Quote:
I know that, but I still find it VERY annoying to have to do that...

FM

Gotcha. I move so fast during the games now that I never use quick tactics anymore.

Last edited by sovereignstar : 01-11-2006 at 11:52 AM.
Old 01-11-2006, 12:10 PM   #1190
FrogMan
Hattrick Moderator

Quote:
Gotcha. I move so fast during the games now that I never use quick tactics anymore.

yeah, I'm a slow player during games, tweaking here or there a lot and having the sound go off when I use the simple quick tactic thingie, well, it's annoying. Have I said that before, annoying?

FM
Old 01-11-2006, 12:13 PM   #1191
path12
Coordinator

Quote:
I've always been able to get it working when I restart immediately afterwards, I've never had it come back with that error again while playing unless I exit out of it for awhile.

When you say restart you mean reboot the computer, right? That's what I have to do. And I also get the very slow initial load, so all in all it's taking 5-10 minutes to get into the damn game.
Old 01-11-2006, 12:14 PM   #1192
path12
Coordinator

Quote:
yeah, I'm a slow player during games, tweaking here or there a lot and having the sound go off when I use the simple quick tactic thingie, well, it's annoying. Have I said that before, annoying?

FM

It's funny how different things bother different people, I've never had a big issue with the sound breaks....
Old 01-11-2006, 12:16 PM   #1193
FrogMan
Hattrick Moderator

Quote:
It's funny how different things bother different people, I've never had a big issue with the sound breaks....

well, if I had the big issue you are having, the sound thing would also be tiny to me

Oh, even though I don't have any crashes (knock on wood), I do find that the start of the game is v-e-r-y slow. I don't mean loading my game, this was slow in FM2005, I mean before we get to the splash screen. My PC sits there with nothing apparently happening, for at least a good minute...

FM
Old 01-11-2006, 01:58 PM   #1194
PraetorianX
High School JV

Quote:
When you say restart you mean reboot the computer, right? That's what I have to do. And I also get the very slow initial load, so all in all it's taking 5-10 minutes to get into the damn game.

No. I've never had to restart my comp. or anything like that.

What usually happens is I start comp, load up WSM, pick load last game, it loads and then goes to desktop with the "blah blah demo blah" junk, I click ok and then click on WSM icon on the bottom, two more errors come up and then it goes away. I then restart WSM, click on load last game, and it loads perfectly fine.
Old 01-11-2006, 02:01 PM   #1195
Cards4ever
College Benchwarmer

Quote:

I have had many crashes to blue screen, more so than any other previous version.
Old 01-11-2006, 02:05 PM   #1196
Flasch186
Coordinator

incredibly..since following MArc's directions of regediting out the threading line, I get no crashes. knock on wood.

Putting a New Spin on Real Estate!

-----------------------------------------------------------

Commissioner of the USFL
USFL
Flasch186 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2006, 02:28 PM   #1197
FrogMan
Hattrick Moderator

has any of you bought young players with the mention "touted as the new..."? I find this very cool. I'm at the start of the 2007/08 season with Luton Town and my starting keeper is getting up there in age at 35. I mean he's served me real well in my first two seasons but I was looking to find him a replacement in the offseason. I got a 20yo kid who's touted as the next Shay Given, not too bad, huh. Even better, I signed a 16yo off some League Two team and only realised once he got to my team that he is touted as the next Paul Robinson... Both of them are promising keepers and obviously the 16yo is a long way from the starting eleven, but the 20yo is already a top notch keeper with a couple of 20s in his skill set...

FM
Old 01-11-2006, 02:35 PM   #1198
Koryo
n00b

7. When negotiating co-ownership deals, the other team will respond back with a transfer offer instead of the redone co-ownership deal. If you don't accept the original offer for one of your players to be a co-owned player, then it gets lost.
Old 01-11-2006, 02:53 PM   #1199
path12
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flasch186
incredibly..since following MArc's directions of regediting out the threading line, I get no crashes. knock on wood.

Actually, other than immediately after downloading, installing and playing the patch without rebooting I got one crash. But since then threading has been on and I haven't had any crashes while actually playing. It's the startup that's the issue now for me.

I do find myself manually saving much more often though, so don't know if that's a factor or not.

Last edited by path12 : 01-11-2006 at 02:53 PM.
path12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2006, 02:55 PM   #1200
path12
Coordinator

Quote:
No. I've never had to restart my comp. or anything like that.

What usually happens is I start comp, load up WSM, pick load last game, it loads and then goes to desktop with the "blah blah demo blah" junk, I click ok and then click on WSM icon on the bottom, two more errors come up and then it goes away. I then restart WSM, click on load last game, and it loads perfectly fine.

Hmmm. I'm at work so I can't remember right now exactly right now but IIRC I get the demo message, click on that and immediately get the crash and the two additional errors. No chance to hit any other icons.