Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Archives > FOFC Archive
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 01-27-2006, 08:07 AM   #1151
Anthony
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samdari
I think Locke is not turning to the dark side, but to take conrol of the group.

i hope so. i can't stand jack.
Anthony is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2006, 09:26 AM   #1152
G-Man
High School JV

Exclamation Agreed!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raven
So next week they are airing "Numbers" - the episode where Hurley runs off in to the woods after Rousseau.

Wasn't that an episode from last season? Man, they are really killing me here. As much as I love watching the show, they give me twice as many reasons not to want to watch it anymore. I really wonder how long they can continue doing this shit and get away with it.

This was easily the worst episode of the series! Charlie's actions were inexplicable, especially since he was not drugging. Locke acted completely out of character! Claire needs to go, and with her baby!! The cast is simply to big!! They (writers) need to kill off a number of characters to make this show more interesting and manageable!

I am losing patience with Lost! The weeks off, the plodding storyline, honestly I do not see how this show will stay as popular as it has been if it has many more episodes like this last one. Perhaps if they approached future seasons like 24 does, waiting until January and running 24 consecutive weeks, then they could get away with the slow story line and ocasional bad episode. Last season was so great and this season is so inconsistent and slowwwwwww. I certainly hope that the story get's advanced, considerably in the coming weeks....

Last edited by G-Man : 01-27-2006 at 09:28 AM.
G-Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2006, 03:23 AM   #1153
Desmond
Banned

What the hell is wrong with you people? This was far and away the best episode since the first one of the season. John wants that baby, as bait. Those of you not turned on dramaticly by the character development in this episode are just nuts. This is a fucking lynchpin episode in the entire direction of this series.
Desmond is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2006, 09:10 AM   #1154
G-Man
High School JV

Exclamation Sarcasm.....

Quote:
Originally Posted by Desmond
What the hell is wrong with you people? This was far and away the best episode since the first one of the season. John wants that baby, as bait. Those of you not turned on dramaticly by the character development in this episode are just nuts. This is a fucking lynchpin episode in the entire direction of this series.

This comment wreaks of sarcasm.....
Old 01-28-2006, 09:15 AM   #1155
Raiders Army
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by G-Man
wreaks or reeks?
Raiders Army is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2006, 11:03 AM   #1156
OldGiants
College Benchwarmer

things I'm wondering about:

1) Charlie, Claire and the baby:

IMO, the episode explained why Charlie snatched the baby. He wasn't on drugs, he had a Catholic upbringing, watched his brother's marriage breakup over his brother 'dropping' his new daughter while high. He has the dream, which Eko confirms is a sign about baptism. So he tries to do it himself because he lost his real family and doesn't want his new one, with Claire, to fail too.

When Charlie has his dreams of saving Claire's baby, why didn't she remember the psychic who warned her about not going on the flight? I can't remember the exact dire warning he gave her, but it was in the nature of world disaster if she went on the plane. I had the thought he was talking about a Rosemary's Baby type of situation, in which case Charlie saving the baby with baptism would fit in well.

2) Eko and marking the trees

What's that all about? Why does he 'like' them? Is that grove where Charlie started the fire, too?
"The case of Great Britain is the most astonishing in this matter of inequality of rights in world soccer championships. The way they explained it to me as a child, God is one but He's three: Father, Son and Holy Ghost. I could never understand it. And I still don't understand why Great Britain is one but she's four....while [others] continue to be no more than one despite the diverse nationalities that make them up." Eduardo Galeano, SOCCER IN SUN AND SHADOW
OldGiants is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2006, 11:42 AM   #1157
timmynausea
College Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by OldGiants

IMO, the episode explained why Charlie snatched the baby. He wasn't on drugs, he had a Catholic upbringing, watched his brother's marriage breakup over his brother 'dropping' his new daughter while high. He has the dream, which Eko confirms is a sign about baptism. So he tries to do it himself because he lost his real family and doesn't want his new one, with Claire, to fail too.

When Charlie has his dreams of saving Claire's baby, why didn't she remember the psychic who warned her about not going on the flight? I can't remember the exact dire warning he gave her, but it was in the nature of world disaster if she went on the plane. I had the thought he was talking about a Rosemary's Baby type of situation, in which case Charlie saving the baby with baptism would fit in well.

Actually the psychic made her go on the flight. He even went so far as to buy her plane ticket. His initial warning was that she mustn't let anyone else raise the baby, because she was going to give it up for adoption. Then he made her take this flight to America as there was a family there that the baby would be fine with. Of course, most have assumed that he knew that she would end up on an island where she would be forced to raise the baby herself. Actually isn't one of the stations on the island dedicated to psychic stuff? Maybe that psychic is connected to the island somehow.
timmynausea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2006, 02:58 PM   #1158
Raven
College Prospect

Quote:
Originally Posted by Desmond
John wants that baby, as bait.

Hadn't thought of this. Great idea.
Raven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2006, 05:04 PM   #1159
Desmond
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by G-Man

Hellllllllllllls no. I love the way the episode presented what seemed like a sledgehammer of a plot with Charlie and the religious stuff but really, this about Lock and Echo, I loved the subtle undertones involving them. I really feel like this is the jumping point to a big story arch involving these 2. It's like Echo is this years Jack only on a grander scale.
Desmond is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2006, 05:17 PM   #1160
mgadfly
High School Varsity

Quote:
Originally Posted by OldGiants

2) Eko and marking the trees

What's that all about? Why does he 'like' them? Is that grove where Charlie started the fire, too?

Eko looking at the stumps near the end of the episode made me believe his trees had been destroyed. Their sacrifice did lead to Claire being sufficiently worried enough to baptize the baby and herself, so he is probably alright with it.

As for the psychic, he wanted her on the plane. In one of last seasons episodes Claire came to the belief that he knew it was going to crash.
mgadfly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2006, 04:06 PM   #1161
OldGiants
College Benchwarmer

Quote:
Originally Posted by mgadfly
Eko looking at the stumps near the end of the episode made me believe his trees had been destroyed. Their sacrifice did lead to Claire being sufficiently worried enough to baptize the baby and herself, so he is probably alright with it.

As for the psychic, he wanted her on the plane. In one of last seasons episodes Claire came to the belief that he knew it was going to crash.
Thanks to you and timmynausea for refreshing/correcting my memory of the Australian psychic story.

As to Eko and the trees, I think Charlie is going to hear from Eko about this. It might not be punishment, though. Moses and the burning bush is a story that goes with Charlie's dreams of his mom, Claire and the dove, for one thing. The burning bush story in the bible is how God showed Moses that he was destined to lead the Isrealites out of Egypt. Is this burning bush (which did go out, unlike the biblical one) a sign that Charlie or the baby is destined to lead the survivors back to civilization? that could be the point of the Australian psychic.
"The case of Great Britain is the most astonishing in this matter of inequality of rights in world soccer championships. The way they explained it to me as a child, God is one but He's three: Father, Son and Holy Ghost. I could never understand it. And I still don't understand why Great Britain is one but she's four....while [others] continue to be no more than one despite the diverse nationalities that make them up." Eduardo Galeano, SOCCER IN SUN AND SHADOW
OldGiants is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2006, 10:14 AM   #1162
gottimd
Dearly Missed
(9/25/77-12/23/08)

Ana go bye byes?

According to an upcoming US WEEKLY article:

"Will lost star michelle rodriguez be told to, uh, get lost? A source tells Hot Stuff that the actress, 27, who plays tough Ana Lucia, has become increasingly difficult on the set — and execs are eager to kill her character. “The producers are fed up with the fact that she barely shows up to the set and is always in a bad mood,” the source says. “They said she was getting killed off as soon as they could write it in.” Still, another source denies Rodriguez has any attitude, saying, “She’s very friendly.” A rep for ABC declined to comment, but the actress’ personal rep tells Us, “Michelle is very proud of her work.” The rep, however, wouldn’t reveal Ana Lucia’s fate. Rodriguez is already in trouble: She was arrested in December in Hawaii (along with costar Cynthia Watros, 37) and charged with DUI. She pleaded not guilty; her trial is set for March 30."
In memory of Gavin Anthony: 7/22/08-7/26/08
gottimd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2006, 12:18 PM   #1163
MrBigglesworth
College Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by gottimd
...is always in a bad mood
Maybe she is a method actress.
MrBigglesworth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2006, 05:11 PM   #1164
Draft Dodger
Coordinator

repeat tonight, right?
Old 02-01-2006, 05:14 PM   #1165
Raiders Army
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Draft Dodger
repeat tonight, right?
Would they try to drag this out any further?

Yes.
Old 02-01-2006, 06:11 PM   #1166
Poli
FOFC Survivor

Holy repeats, batman!

Not just a repeat, but a repeat 11 months old!
Old 02-01-2006, 07:19 PM   #1167
Raiders Army
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by ardent enthusiast
Holy repeats, batman!

Not just a repeat, but a repeat 11 months old!
And they said people wouldn't notice.
Old 02-01-2006, 07:52 PM   #1168
Poli
FOFC Survivor

lol
Old 02-01-2006, 11:46 PM   #1169
mgadfly
High School Varsity

I'm kind of glad they showed this one. It reminded me about how Locke was interested in what happened to Claire even before the baby was born, and was the beginning of him replacing Charlie as Claire's go-to guy. (I mean, I'd rather they showed a new episode 52 weeks a year, but if I thought this was a good one to show if they were going to show one from last season).
mgadfly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2006, 05:59 PM   #1170
ThunderingHERD
College Benchwarmer

E.R. was on in the background just now. It was the episode where the kid has some rare condition where his organs are flipped around. The dad is freaking out the whole episode. After the kid dies, when they ask to perform an autopsy, he yells "You're not cutting up my son!!"

The dad was played by, you guessed it, Harold Perrineau--Michael from Lost.

"Everyone's a voyeurist--they're watching me watch them watch me right now."
ThunderingHERD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2006, 11:42 AM   #1171
Noop
Bonafide Seminole Fan

Episode 19 - Deus ex Machina

Written by Damen Lindelof & Carlton Cuse

Directed by Robert Mandel

[Shot of Locke's hand setting up a Mouse Trap game as an employee in a department store. A kid walks up.]

Kid
What's that?

Locke
A game. It's my favorite game, actually. I used to play it with my brother. It's called Mouse Trap.

Kid
How do you play?

Locke
Well, you start with all these parts off the board. And then, one by one, you build the trap - shoe, bucket, tub - piece by piece it all comes together. And then you wait 'til your opponent lands here on the old cheese wheel. And then if you set it up just right, you spring the trap. Go ahead kiddo.

----------
I continue to contend he is one of the 'Others'
Old 02-05-2006, 02:29 PM   #1172
ThunderingHERD
College Benchwarmer

Given what we've seen of his back story, how could you possibly believe that? We know why he was in Australia. We saw him board the plane.

That's not even broaching the subject of his behavior on the island, much of which would make no sense were he one of the "Others".

Old 02-05-2006, 02:45 PM   #1173
Daimyo
College Starter

I think its very likely that Locke has some alterior motives that have not yet been revealed and he may very well turn on the rest of the survivors, but I don't think he's an other proper. We do know he is heavily influenced by the island because it gave him back the ability to walk and we saw an episode where it almost ook the ability away... but we really don't know the extent of that or the lengths he would go for it (although I think he knew Boone would die and was quite willing to sacrifice him for his cause).
Daimyo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2006, 02:48 PM   #1174
NoMyths
Poet in Residence

Rather than the theory that Locke is an Other (which I don't buy): the question that concerns me more is how Locke lost his ability to walk. I think we're going to discover some sinister depths to him as things progress.
NoMyths is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2006, 02:56 PM   #1175
ThunderingHERD
College Benchwarmer

Quote:
Originally Posted by NoMyths
Rather than the theory that Locke is an Other (which I don't buy): the question that concerns me more is how Locke lost his ability to walk. I think we're going to discover some sinister depths to him as things progress.

Yeh, I've been waiting for them to reveal that for a while. I think it's the only key piece of backstory from the original cast that we haven't seen yet.

Old 02-05-2006, 03:17 PM   #1176
jbmagic
Pro Starter

Maybe Locke pretended he could not walk before he got to the island.
jbmagic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2006, 03:22 PM   #1177
ThunderingHERD
College Benchwarmer

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbmagic
Maybe Locke pretended he could not walk before he got to the island.

Maybe Hurley is only pretending to be morbidly obese.

Old 02-05-2006, 03:51 PM   #1178
Draft Dodger
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThunderingHERD
Maybe Hurley is only pretending to be morbidly obese.

and Boone and Shannon faked their deaths so they could have more "alone time" together!
Old 02-05-2006, 05:11 PM   #1179
Raiders Army
Coordinator

I watched Flightplan this weekend. Jodie Foster must've asked Perrineau for tips: "Where is my daughter???"
Old 02-05-2006, 05:23 PM   #1180
Noop
Bonafide Seminole Fan

I still believe he is not who he says he is...
Old 02-05-2006, 05:30 PM   #1181
ThunderingHERD
College Benchwarmer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Noop
I still believe he is not who he says he is...

It's not a matter of being "who he says he is". The most I recall him mentioning to anyone on the island of his past is that he sold whatever it was he sold--we learned everything else from the flashbacks. We may find some ironic twist in how he became paralyzed. We may even find that he has had contact with the others while on the island that he hasn't revealed. But there is no way that they would compromise the integrity of the flashbacks in the way you're suggesting.

Last edited by ThunderingHERD : 02-05-2006 at 08:03 PM.
Old 02-05-2006, 10:12 PM   #1182
Thomkal
Head Coach

I liked the Lost promo during the Super Bowl. To Robert Palmer's song, "Addicted to Love" turned into "Addicted to Lost"
Thomkal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2006, 10:19 PM   #1183
cthomer5000
Strategy Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thomkal
I liked the Lost promo during the Super Bowl. To Robert Palmer's song, "Addicted to Love" turned into "Addicted to Lost"

Yeah, nothing like using a dead guy to promote your show. I didn't like it.
cthomer5000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2006, 10:29 PM   #1184
Bearcat729
College Benchwarmer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thomkal

Problem is that it sounded more like Addicted to Lust the way they had it cut
Bearcat729 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2006, 08:48 PM   #1185
Bearcat729
College Benchwarmer

Well Sawyer just took charge.
Bearcat729 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2006, 09:55 PM   #1186
Raven
College Prospect

Well next week looks like it could be the best of the year.

But i'm sure they'll find a way to dissapoint us.
Raven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2006, 10:00 PM   #1187
Draft Dodger
Coordinator

ok, that was pretty damn cool.
Old 02-08-2006, 10:54 PM   #1188
timmynausea
College Starter

That was a step in the right direction.
timmynausea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2006, 11:00 PM   #1189
Blade6119
Coordinator

Ok, can anyone give me like a 1-2 sentence summary of what lost is?...i keep hearing about it but never saw an ad or a commercial..just know its about random numbers
It's always darkest just before it goes pitch black.
Demotivation
Sometimes the best solution to morale problems is just to fire all of the unhappy people.
http://www.despair.com/viewall.html
Blade6119 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2006, 11:01 PM   #1190
MrBigglesworth
College Starter

Good episode! Those are the characters that the episodes should revolve around the most.
MrBigglesworth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2006, 11:28 PM   #1191
Swaggs
Coordinator

I liked this one again. I had kind of gotten hung up on the potential of the Locke-Jack dynamic and had kind of forgotten about Sawyer as a threat. Also, interestingly, I had always kind of foreseen Jack being the more positive of the two, but this episode was the first time that I had considered that Jack could, instead, be the bad guy.

How likely is it that the countdown reaching zero is going to be a dream (like Jin speaking English)?
Swaggs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2006, 11:49 PM   #1192
cthomer5000
Strategy Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blade6119
Ok, can anyone give me like a 1-2 sentence summary of what lost is?...i keep hearing about it but never saw an ad or a commercial..just know its about random numbers

Plane crash survivors stranded on an extremely mysterious island. Castaway + Lord Of The Flies + Science Fiction.

The 1st season was probably the best season of network TV I've ever seen. This season has been very hit or miss, with most episodes being a miss.
cthomer5000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2006, 02:46 AM   #1193
Pyser
Pro Rookie

wow, this was the best episode of the year, hands down.

i didnt see a lot of it coming, and the action on the island tied in REALLY well with the backstory for the first time in a long, long time.

i think hurley dropped a big hint, when he said "when are we hearing this music from?"

i still believe the rest of the world ended somehow, in some way...when the numbers hit zero...causing their plane to crash on the island.
Pyser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2006, 02:50 AM   #1194
Poli
FOFC Survivor

? When did he say that?
Old 02-09-2006, 04:57 AM   #1195
Raiders Army
Coordinator

I agree that it was an excellent episode. The reasons why:

1. Sawyer's backstory was actually interesting, instead of marking time. Jack's backstory a few weeks ago was meh. Charlie's backstory two weeks ago was bleh. Sawyer's backstory had more to do with the episode, so we were left wondering about who was being conned.

2. There were a few really good surprises. I didn't see it coming that he conned everyone. I fell for the Rodriguez chick conning everyone thing, although I thought it was a little too blatant for the show to out and out say that she was trying to get everyone to join the Army. Another good surprise was Charlie's actions, which somewhat make up for the shitty episode two weeks ago. Like above, I think the radio thing will set up a plotline in the future.

3. The episode involved pretty much everyone. It seems as if the past few episodes forgot that this was an ensemble show. The only characters that didn't have a big part in the episode were Ecko, other tailie girl, Rose and Bernard (who were mentioned, but didn't really appear from what I remember).
Old 02-09-2006, 04:57 AM   #1196
Raiders Army
Coordinator

Quote:
? When did he say that?
At the end of the episode.
Old 02-09-2006, 07:47 AM   #1197
Toddzilla
Pro Starter

Quote:
? When did he say that?
When Glen Miller started playing, Hurley said the station must be close becasue the music was so clear. Saied corrected him by saying, because of the shortwave and the ionosphere, the signal could be coming from anywhere. Hurley replied "Or Anytime".
Toddzilla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2006, 07:53 AM   #1198
moriarty
College Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toddzilla
When Glen Miller started playing, Hurley said the station must be close becasue the music was so clear. Saied corrected him by saying, because of the shortwave and the ionosphere, the signal could be coming from anywhere. Hurley replied "Or Anytime".

Ehh... just another red herring. They're always dropping hints about being in purgatory, etc. I think it's just their way of playing with all the chat room theorists.
moriarty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2006, 07:57 AM   #1199
Castlerock
High School Varsity

Quote:
Originally Posted by Swaggs
How likely is it that the countdown reaching zero is going to be a dream (like Jin speaking English)?
I assume that this is from the preview. I'd like to request that if people are discussing anything from a preview, we just note it with *spoiler* before mentioning it. As soon as the preview comes on, I turn the TV off and I know that I am not the only one. There have been several times in this thread where scenes in previews have been discussed with no warning.
Castlerock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2006, 09:56 AM   #1200
NoMyths
Poet in Residence

I was actually quite disappointed in this episode, as most of the main players were acting against their characters. Charlie as a violent pseudo-kidnapper of Sun? With Sawyer behind it, even though he'd sailed away with the woman's husband, the same guy who helped save his life later? Jack saying "Does it matter?" to why Sun was attacked? Locke NOT noticing that Charlie was following him (esp. if he was nervous about moving the guns), when he'd let Charlie follow him for an hour in an earlier episode and led him in circles?

I understand that narratives rely on conflict and have to generate new and sometimes irrational conflict in order to thrive, but these felt like character missteps to me. I hope there is a solid payoff, but can't say I wasn't disappointed in the new turns.
NoMyths is offline   Reply With Quote