Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Main Forums > Off Topic
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 07-12-2013, 11:05 AM   #1151
DanGarion
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vince, Pt. II View Post
If I'm a Dodger fan, I'm happy Puig didn't make the team. I haven't been watching their games, but I hear he's doing things like flipping his bat after walks and staring down the catcher after a collision in which he was out. If that's the case, his ego really needs to be toned down, and making the All Star game after 35 games played wouldn't have helped with that at all.

Says the Giants fan...
DanGarion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2013, 11:51 AM   #1152
BishopMVP
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by panerd View Post
So you were tuning in for his pinch hit appearance in the 7th or 8th?
No. I think Puig is 1000x more interesting than Freddie Freeman, but short of bringing out the Field of Dreams crew plus a Walter Johnson or Christy Mathewson against MLB's current best players I wouldn't go out of my way to watch that exhibition sham. The last one I remember being excited for was when Pedro started - and I vaguely remember tuning in for the late stages of the Dan Uggla error-fest and when Bud Selig nearly called the game a tie.
BishopMVP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2013, 12:17 PM   #1153
Logan
Head Coach

Will Leitch on the Puig backlash:

http://www.sportsonearth.com/article/53521232/

Last edited by Logan : 07-12-2013 at 12:17 PM.
Logan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2013, 12:17 PM   #1154
Crapshoot
Grizzled Veteran

I'm a Giants fan, and I think the backlash is the standard schpiel of old whiny sportswriters, or D-Backs with a proclivity for hitting opposing batters (step right up, Ian Kennedy). Puig is fun to watch - and 22. Its ok to have fun in baseball - seriously.
Crapshoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2013, 12:20 PM   #1155
Logan
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrBug708 View Post
As for the "stare", Montero seems to be the one with the issue as I dont think Puig looked at him for more than half a second.

Miguel Montero gives Yasiel Puig finger wag after collision (Video) | Larry Brown Sports

I hadn't seen the video until now, but it's pretty sad that this meets the definition of a home plate "collision" these days.
Logan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2013, 12:37 PM   #1156
cartman
Death Herald

Location: Le stelle la notte sono grandi e luminose nel cuore profondo del Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by BishopMVP View Post
The last one I remember being excited for was when Pedro started - and I vaguely remember tuning in for the late stages of the Dan Uggla error-fest and when Bud Selig nearly called the game a tie.

He did call the 2002 game a tie.
So I dig deeper but still comin' up with lint

Last edited by cartman : 07-12-2013 at 12:37 PM.
cartman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2013, 12:41 PM   #1157
Suicane75
Coordinator

Didn't this dude just come over here on a boat, like last year? I mean, are we really going to chastise him for all this shit? It really strikes me as nothing more than trying to tear him down because he's not like everyone else. Give the kid time to assimilate for heavens sakes. I'm sure he's cocky, he's probably cocky, happy and excited beyond his wildest dreams to be out of 3rd world servitude and playing effing major league baseball. People really need to cut him some slack, or at the very least give him a decent amount of time time before branding him.
Suicane75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2013, 12:50 PM   #1158
JetsIn06
Pro Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suicane75 View Post
Didn't this dude just come over here on a boat, like last year? I mean, are we really going to chastise him for all this shit? It really strikes me as nothing more than trying to tear him down because he's not like everyone else. Give the kid time to assimilate for heavens sakes. I'm sure he's cocky, he's probably cocky, happy and excited beyond his wildest dreams to be out of 3rd world servitude and playing effing major league baseball. People really need to cut him some slack, or at the very least give him a decent amount of time time before branding him.

JetsIn06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2013, 12:59 PM   #1159
Crapshoot
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:

""".This - a 1000X this. It's ok to celebrate in baseball - it's ok to have a good time. Baseball is better for it.
Old 07-12-2013, 01:05 PM   #1160
sterlingice
Hall Of Famer

I'm still trying to figure out how Freeman beat Puig in the vote. Did LA just not show up for the vote because outside of the deep south, I would have thought Puig would have gotten a ton of novelty votes, if nothing else

SI

Janos: "Only America could produce an imbecile of your caliber!"
Freakazoid: "That's because we make lots of things better than other people!"

sterlingice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2013, 01:17 PM   #1161
MrBug708
Head Coach

Ian Kennedy, Luis Gonzalez, and Miguel Montero voted 1,000,000 times
MrBug708 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2013, 01:37 PM   #1162
ISiddiqui
Hall Of Famer

I think it became a backlash against perceived ESPN pro-Puig bias. Freeman had a strong support base him already, so people jumped on that bandwagon.
Old 07-12-2013, 02:27 PM   #1163
Vince, Pt. II
Pro Starter

Apologies if I came across as "a Giants fan." I mentioned specifically that I hadn't seen any of it, and that I was running off the narrative. Shocking that the narrative is overblown, I know.
Vince, Pt. II is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2013, 02:34 PM   #1164
MrBug708
Head Coach

Quote:
Apologies if I came across as "a Giants fan." I mentioned specifically that I hadn't seen any of it, and that I was running off the narrative. Shocking that the narrative is overblown, I know.

You just are a Giants fan.
Old 07-12-2013, 02:39 PM   #1165
DanGarion
Coordinator

Quote:

This is exactly what I was thinking.
Old 07-12-2013, 02:40 PM   #1166
DanGarion
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by sterlingice View Post
I'm still trying to figure out how Freeman beat Puig in the vote. Did LA just not show up for the vote because outside of the deep south, I would have thought Puig would have gotten a ton of novelty votes, if nothing else

SI

Because of the sanctity of the game *rolls eyes* all the traditionalist baseball fans voted for Freeman.
Old 07-12-2013, 02:41 PM   #1167
DanGarion
Coordinator

Quote:

I hope you didn't think I was really being a jerk, I'm just playing with you Vince.
Old 07-12-2013, 02:57 PM   #1168
TroyF
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by ISiddiqui View Post
I think it became a backlash against perceived ESPN pro-Puig bias. Freeman had a strong support base him already, so people jumped on that bandwagon.

Many people believed like I do, that less than 150 at bats should not make you an all star.

As for the rest of it, it's the dbags trying to bring the kid down. That said, I do believe kid has some serious growing up to do. He should have had a suspension in the brawl and didn't get one. I'm sure he will be fine and I'm sure hell get on the all star team someday. Just happy he didn't make it this year.
TroyF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2013, 03:04 PM   #1169
panerd
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by sterlingice View Post

SI

I remember seeing on a sports talk show (PTI I think) that Atlanta and Toronto "teamed up" and encouraged fans to not only vote for their guy but the guy from the partner team. On one hand I think to myself the Cardinals could tell me to vote for Pete Kozma and Ike Davis all they want and it aint happening but on the other hand Freeman and the Blue Jay (don't recall who it was but I don't think he was the top of that group) ended up winning.
panerd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2013, 03:07 PM   #1170
panerd
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by ISiddiqui View Post

Yes this as well. I find this happening to me quite a bit nowadays also. Just recently I have negative feelings towards Dwight Howard, Puig, and the Brooklyn Nets but never really had an opinion on any of the three weeks ago. Its my own fault for watching and listening to so much sports talk but I will admit I do get tired of hearing about the three because of it.

Last edited by panerd : 07-12-2013 at 03:07 PM.
panerd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2013, 03:15 PM   #1171
ISiddiqui
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by TroyF View Post
Many people believed like I do, that less than 150 at bats should not make you an all star.

It's over 150 right now .

At the same time, Bryce Harper only has 190 ABs and will be an All-Star. That's not much better.
Old 07-12-2013, 03:25 PM   #1172
BishopMVP
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by cartman View Post
He did call the 2002 game a tie.
Shows how closely I watched.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crapshoot View Post
""".This - a 1000X this. It's ok to celebrate in baseball - it's ok to have a good time. Baseball is better for it.
Co-sign. Reminds me of the PK Subban backlash in hockey.
BishopMVP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2013, 05:26 PM   #1173
Marmel
Grizzled Veteran

One (of the hundreds) of reasons that the NFL has lapped MLB many times over is that they promote their young stars. Look at the attention Wilson, RG3 and Luck received last year. MLB won't even put a kid in a meaningless game. The 1960's mindset is so boring and hurts MLB and I am a fan of the sport so it is disappointing.

Cincinnati basketball writer P. Daugherty, "Connor Barwin playing several minutes against Syracuse is like kids with slingshots taking down Caesar's legions."

Last edited by Marmel : 07-12-2013 at 06:07 PM. Reason: brainfart
Marmel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2013, 05:40 PM   #1174
SackAttack
Head Coach

Quote:
If that's the case, his ego really needs to be toned down, and making the All Star game after 35 games played wouldn't have helped with that at all.

Or, conversely, if his ego is as monstrous as the haters make it out to be, he comes back after the All-Star Break and proceeds to rip the National League a new one to prove a point.

If keeping him off the team is about his 'ego,' that's a knife cuts both ways.

That said, I don't think it's the end of the world that he didn't make the team. I would have made a point to watch the game if he were in it, and I very much doubt I'll give enough of a shit to watch it without him, but the Final Vote outcome isn't the end of the world.
SackAttack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2013, 05:45 PM   #1175
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by SackAttack View Post
I would have made a point to watch the game if he were in it, and I very much doubt I'll give enough of a shit to watch it without him, but the Final Vote outcome isn't the end of the world.

This ... and I'm in Atlanta (and like Freeman & felt his numbers were A-S worthy in most years) for cryin' out loud.
Old 07-12-2013, 05:49 PM   #1176
cuervo72
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marmel View Post
One (of the hundreds) of reasons that the NFL has lapped MLB many times over is that they promote their young stars. Look at the attention Westbrook, RG3 and Luck received last year. MLB won't even put a kid in a meaningless game. The 1960's mindset is so boring and hurts MLB and I am a fan of the sport so it is disappointing.

Westbrook?
Old 07-12-2013, 05:56 PM   #1177
MrBug708
Head Coach

Wilson I'm assuming
Old 07-12-2013, 06:00 PM   #1178
cuervo72
Head Coach

NFL better market him better, then.
Old 07-12-2013, 06:07 PM   #1179
Marmel
Grizzled Veteran

Haha, yeah Wilson.

Cincinnati basketball writer P. Daugherty, "Connor Barwin playing several minutes against Syracuse is like kids with slingshots taking down Caesar's legions."
Marmel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2013, 07:54 PM   #1180
SackAttack
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonInMiddleGA View Post
This ... and I'm in Atlanta (and like Freeman & felt his numbers were A-S worthy in most years) for cryin' out loud.

Jon, we've talked about this. Sharing the same side of an issue with you is uncomfortable. Stop that.
Old 07-12-2013, 10:43 PM   #1181
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by SackAttack View Post
Jon, we've talked about this. Sharing the same side of an issue with you is uncomfortable. Stop that.

Just use the "it's different because he's got a whole different skewed perspective because of being in Atlanta ... or something" exception. That should alleviate at least some of the discomfort.

(Granted that actually doesn't make a lot of sense but, well, no rule says it has to. Right?)
Old 07-13-2013, 11:46 PM   #1182
PilotMan
Head Coach

Big Time Timmy Jam is working on a no hitter in San Diego, bottom 8, 2 out. He is up to 127 pitches now.

Like Steam?
Join the FOFC Steam group here: http://steamcommunity.com/groups/FOFConSteam

PilotMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2013, 11:47 PM   #1183
kingfc22
Head Coach

Timmy. 3 more outs but sitting on 131 pitches...
Old 07-13-2013, 11:59 PM   #1184
PilotMan
Head Coach

140+ pitches now.

Like Steam?

Old 07-14-2013, 12:00 AM   #1185
Young Drachma
Dark Cloud

Video | MLB.com Multimedia
Old 07-14-2013, 12:00 AM   #1186
kingfc22
Head Coach

One more to go...
Old 07-14-2013, 12:01 AM   #1187
Young Drachma
Dark Cloud

I love baseball fans because they appreciate history.
Old 07-14-2013, 12:01 AM   #1188
PilotMan
Head Coach

Wow that was close. That could have been gone in a heartbeat.

Like Steam?

Old 07-14-2013, 12:03 AM   #1189
PilotMan
Head Coach

I hate the Giants, but I appreciate baseball, and I love no-hitters.

Like Steam?

Old 07-14-2013, 12:04 AM   #1190
Young Drachma
Dark Cloud

Love a no-no. Love also that the Pads were playing down to the last pitch. Weren't just giving it away.
Young Drachma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2013, 12:05 AM   #1191
kingfc22
Head Coach

Awesome. Especially after being on the other end of the no-hitter last time out.
Old 07-14-2013, 12:29 AM   #1192
Vince, Pt. II
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by DanGarion View Post
I hope you didn't think I was really being a jerk, I'm just playing with you Vince.

It's all good

Great to see Timmy get the No-No. Makes me really wonder what's going to happen to him over the next few months. He's been flirting with these mechanics for a while, looks like he may have found them. Is it enough for the Giants to want to sign him long term? Do they trade him? He's the most intriguing off-the-field story in almost all of baseball, I think (non-steroid division).
Vince, Pt. II is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2013, 12:49 AM   #1193
MrBug708
Head Coach

Timmah just driving up his cost for either Boston or the Giants
Old 07-14-2013, 01:33 AM   #1194
Crapshoot
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrBug708 View Post
Timmah just driving up his cost for either Boston or the Giants

My money is on Seattle actually / pretty much seen as a no brainer.

But holy shit, what a performance.
Old 07-14-2013, 02:04 AM   #1195
SackAttack
Head Coach

First no-hitter I've ever seen start to finish. Tuned in in the late innings for a couple that had been going, but never watched one from the beginning before. Pretty cool.
Old 07-14-2013, 05:42 AM   #1196
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

UW!!!!
Lathum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2013, 02:25 PM   #1197
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Irony.

2013 All-Star Game -- Freddie Freeman of Atlanta Braves injured, ruled out - ESPN
Old 07-14-2013, 03:47 PM   #1198
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Brian McCann named as Freeman's replacement btw
Old 07-15-2013, 09:01 PM   #1199
korme
Go Reds

Chris Berman is really making this HR Derby fun to watch.
korme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2013, 09:08 PM   #1200
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

Quote:
Originally Posted by korme View Post
Chris Berman is really making this HR Derby fun to watch.

He has improved himself alot from previous years.

Next year I plan to be in the outfield with my
glove.
Lathum is offline   Reply With Quote