Exceeded my expectations 65 62.50%
Generally met my expectations 26 25.00%
Eh, somewhat disappointed 7 6.73%
Trout 6 5.77%
Voters: 104. You may not vote on this poll

Old 12-27-2011, 11:37 AM   #1151
Buccaneer
Head Coach

Focusing on Destruction, what training and spells should I be looking for?
Buccaneer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2011, 12:10 PM   #1152
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buccaneer View Post
Focusing on Destruction, what training and spells should I be looking for?

I like Firebolt, my son likes Ice Spike - both are level 25 spells. Lightning Bolt is the other one at that level.

There are three NPC trainers in the game, without spoiling it too much I'll tell you that two are court wizards (in service of their respective Jarl) and the third is one of the people at the college in Winterhold.

edit to add: Otherwise, in terms of "training", it's really just a matter of using the destruction spells that you have frequently enough to level up the skill. In the beginning, that'll be Flames-Frostbite-Sparks, each of which is more (or less) effective against various types of opponents.

Last edited by JonInMiddleGA : 12-27-2011 at 12:12 PM.
JonInMiddleGA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2011, 12:14 PM   #1153
Buccaneer
Head Coach

Thanks for all of your help.
Old 12-27-2011, 04:50 PM   #1154
SackAttack
Head Coach

Quote:
[random thoughts]Josh, both dragons I have killed I have gotten their soul...somehow. Not sure what for, even though I do have the Shout thing but haven't used them at all yet (except to get by one booby-trap).

If you've visited Whiterun already, it's kind of explained what's going on. If you haven't, I shan't spoil.

Normally, when I kill a dragon, I get the soul. Last night was the first 'lol no' moment I've run into, and I think it's because I hit 'search Frost Dragon' as soon as the dialog popped up. It interrupted the soul gathering and now there's exactly one dragon corpse in my world for which the skin hasn't burned off.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonInMiddleGA View Post
I've got considerably more souls than I've found words (takes one soul in order to be able to use each word that you find). That's because my path has taken me near very few words so far (most are hidden within certain dungeons).

FYI...

Spoiler
SackAttack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2011, 05:29 PM   #1155
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Whoa, didn't know that. Thanks for the spoiler SA, I'll keep a closer watch going forward.
Old 12-27-2011, 06:49 PM   #1156
Buccaneer
Head Coach

Quote:
I like Firebolt, my son likes Ice Spike - both are level 25 spells. Lightning Bolt is the other one at that level.

There are three NPC trainers in the game, without spoiling it too much I'll tell you that two are court wizards (in service of their respective Jarl) and the third is one of the people at the college in Winterhold.

edit to add: Otherwise, in terms of "training", it's really just a matter of using the destruction spells that you have frequently enough to level up the skill. In the beginning, that'll be Flames-Frostbite-Sparks, each of which is more (or less) effective against various types of opponents.

That was what I was missing. I did the cave with an overlord/warlord and I was simply too weak and was progressing very slowly (only managed to get Lydia and me out when the overlord got stuck on something). I was almost ready to quit. Then I went to the mage in Solitude and found that I could quickly level up Destruction. I went from 32 to 52 in about a half hour (including the two caves the court wanted me to deal with). Now I feel a lot more confident with flames and firebolt. Thanks.

Now I need better destruction but I'm not seeing it so far. I will go to Wilhelm and then to Winterhold to see what they have.

Regarding shout, I assume I will get to the point where they actually kill things?

Last edited by Buccaneer : 12-27-2011 at 06:50 PM.
Old 12-27-2011, 06:57 PM   #1157
Eaglesfan27
Hall Of Famer

Got the game for Christmas... I can barely hear the early voices in the opening scene. Is it my speakers or was it that way for everyone.
Eaglesfan27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2011, 06:58 PM   #1158
JPhillips
Hall Of Famer

I had trouble with volume on several cut scenes.
Old 12-27-2011, 07:00 PM   #1159
Buccaneer
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eaglesfan27 View Post
Got the game for Christmas... I can barely hear the early voices in the opening scene. Is it my speakers or was it that way for everyone.

My speakers are cranked way up.
Old 12-27-2011, 07:24 PM   #1160
Groundhog
Coordinator

I have subtitles turned on but yeah, sometimes I have trouble with the voices, it's like the game thinks I'm further away from the NPC than I actually am.
Old 12-27-2011, 07:49 PM   #1161
Eaglesfan27
Hall Of Famer

Thanks everyone. Might still get some better speakers.
Eaglesfan27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2011, 08:03 PM   #1162
thesloppy
Pro Starter

Just to be a pendant, are you guys using some sort of 5.1 receiver/device but outputting it to a single set of speakers/headphones? I occasionally get wonky audio when my receiver misinterprets the 360's output.
Last edited by thesloppy : Today at 05:35 PM.
thesloppy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2011, 08:17 PM   #1163
mckerney
Coordinator

I have a 7.1 headset and haven't had any problems with voices, though they're usually pretty loud overall.
mckerney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2011, 08:18 PM   #1164
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Regarding shout, I assume I will get to the point where they actually kill things?

The powers of the Thu'um are many and varied
Old 12-27-2011, 08:27 PM   #1165
thesloppy
Pro Starter

Quote:
The powers of the Thu'um are many and varied

Spoiler
Old 12-27-2011, 11:33 PM   #1166
Buccaneer
Head Coach

Spoiler
Old 12-28-2011, 12:24 AM   #1167
SackAttack
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by thesloppy View Post
Spoiler

Spoiler
Old 12-28-2011, 11:29 AM   #1168
Buccaneer
Head Coach

I did one quest that made me sick. Somehow I decided to do a thieves quest and had to beat up two women. That was despicable and I will never do another quest for thieves again, not that I needed to in the first place (except to find Egbern(sp?).
Old 12-28-2011, 11:44 AM   #1169
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
That was despicable and I will never do another quest for thieves again

I never did the thieves guild line in Oblivion, not willing to do it in Skyrim either (I had already befriended my first intended target, just couldn't do it).

Even my son, typically a chaotic neutral kind of player at best, revolted at the thieves guild line in Skyrim. Told me that he'd decided they were genuinely bad people as opposed to the more gray area guild in Oblivion.
Old 12-28-2011, 11:54 AM   #1170
korme
Go Reds

What do you guys know about dragon masks?
korme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2011, 11:57 AM   #1171
korme
Go Reds

Quote:
I never did the thieves guild line in Oblivion, not willing to do it in Skyrim either (I had already befriended my first intended target, just couldn't do it).

Even my son, typically a chaotic neutral kind of player at best, revolted at the thieves guild line in Skyrim. Told me that he'd decided they were genuinely bad people as opposed to the more gray area guild in Oblivion.

The Thieves Guild rewards you with some great things, however. Very glad I did those challenges
Old 12-28-2011, 03:31 PM   #1172
Drake
assmaster

Quote:
I did one quest that made me sick. Somehow I decided to do a thieves quest and had to beat up two women. That was despicable and I will never do another quest for thieves again, not that I needed to in the first place (except to find Egbern(sp?).

Er...I didn't have to beat up either woman. I threatened to drop one's statue off a cliff and implied I'd track the other woman's family down if she didn't pay her debts.

Why are you running around beating up women when there are other options available to you?
Drake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2011, 03:41 PM   #1173
Lonnie
High School Varsity

Yeah you can be a thug without laying a hand on a woman.
Old 12-28-2011, 03:44 PM   #1174
Buccaneer
Head Coach

I guess because my Persausion was very low? I know I could've walked away and I will here on out. My bad.
Old 12-28-2011, 03:49 PM   #1175
mckerney
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lonnie View Post
Yeah you can be a thug without laying a hand on a woman.

Same for me, I've done the Thieves Guild quests and I haven't beaten up any woman who hasn't asked for it. I may have
Spoiler

for the Dark Brotherhood, but that's different than beating her.
Old 12-28-2011, 03:59 PM   #1176
mckerney
Coordinator

Quote:
I guess because my Persausion was very low? I know I could've walked away and I will here on out. My bad.

I could be wrong, but I don't think there was a speech check on them. I think you just needed to do some digging before confronting the person.
Old 12-28-2011, 04:51 PM   #1177
RainMaker
Hall Of Famer

With the recent updates, is it safe to install this on the hard drive and not lose the HD textures?
RainMaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2011, 05:13 PM   #1178
SackAttack
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by RainMaker View Post
With the recent updates, is it safe to install this on the hard drive and not lose the HD textures?

I think so. I know the water still looks gorgeous for me post-updates, and that wasn't true during the texture degradation the first time around. I'm probably going to reinstall one more time, though, since the last time I did was in between the first and second patches. Just to be on the safe side.
Old 12-28-2011, 11:07 PM   #1179
Buccaneer
Head Coach

Spoiler
Old 12-29-2011, 04:01 PM   #1180
korme
Go Reds

My roommate just became a werewolf. It seems all right, he's doing werewolf missions now, but I don't know if I'd ever do it. Also, your basketball skills don't improve AT ALL
Old 12-29-2011, 04:22 PM   #1181
SackAttack
Head Coach

I like that you can still do Radiant missions in the Companions questline, but...

Spoiler
Old 12-31-2011, 07:50 AM   #1182
Edward64
Head Coach

My son and I have been playing it like crazy over the holiday week. Great game overall with some dings.

I think the smithingskill is somewhat facetious. I wish there was some other real method of increasing that skill or paying someone to craft the weapon/armor for you (e.g. all I'm doing is buying a bunch of iron ingots and leather strips after each quest and creating an iron dagger to get to smithing 60+).

The character faces are god awful. They are detailed but why can't they (at least the humans) be more human-like-realistics? It doesn't seem to be gpu constraint anymore.

Why can't your companion/aide travel with you on the horse and buggy? I pay for the solo-travel to new destination, fast travel back to pickup the companion/aide and then both fast travel to new destination.

Trading and selling interface is cumbersome.

After the 10th time of selling something to general/weapon store, the store keeper should just say "hello" and bypass the canned speech.

Really enjoying the reassuring "thud" sound when sniping.

Last edited by Edward64 : 12-31-2011 at 07:50 AM.
Edward64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2011, 07:55 AM   #1183
RainMaker
Hall Of Famer

Sort of getting annoyed with all the glitches/bugs on quests. Have about 3 right now that I can't finish due to bugs.
Old 12-31-2011, 10:59 AM   #1184
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Edward64 View Post
Why can't your companion/aide travel with you on the horse and buggy?

Mine doesn't get on the buggy in the cut scene but always shows up with me.
(That's on 360)
Old 12-31-2011, 11:06 AM   #1185
Buccaneer
Head Coach

Lydia and I teleported with the two blades to get close to Sky Haven(?), except the blades wouldn't follow us there or really move. I managed to get there days later after some detours and sure enough, the blades were there fighting in that camp. Same thing with my companion, Lydia. Even if she is stuck somewhere, going through a load gets her right by my side again. The game has a good mechanism of getting people where they need to be.
Old 12-31-2011, 01:26 PM   #1186
cthomer5000
Strategy Moderator

Quote:
Why can't your companion/aide travel with you on the horse and buggy? I pay for the solo-travel to new destination, fast travel back to pickup the companion/aide and then both fast travel to new destination.

No need to go back and then come back again. Just fast travel to where you are, and they will show up. So for instance if you took the wagon to Solitude, walk a few feet then fast travel to Solitude. They'll likely be right at your side.

Still, im with you in principle, they should just get on the wagon with you.

This might be my favorite game of all time, but I could spend 8 hours giving my views on minor changes that could make the next game better.
cthomer5000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2011, 07:55 PM   #1187
RainMaker
Hall Of Famer

I have an issue trying to liberate Falkreath. I can stand in the spot but can't get the prompt to start the mission. Trying everything but I don't know if this just means I can't do this storyline any longer or what.
Old 01-01-2012, 10:03 AM   #1188
mckerney
Coordinator

Quote:
The character faces are god awful. They are detailed but why can't they (at least the humans) be more human-like-realistics? It doesn't seem to be gpu constraint anymore.

There are some fixes for this.

Quote:
Trading and selling interface is cumbersome.

I haven't seen anything to fix the trading menus specifically but there is a UI overhaul, plus addition UI improvements with an improved favorites menu and a better world map.
Old 01-01-2012, 12:57 PM   #1189
frnk55
High School Varsity

Anyone play on expert difficulty level? If so is it a lot harder? I'm thinking about doing this since it's starting to get a tad bit easy.
frnk55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2012, 07:46 PM   #1190
Buccaneer
Head Coach

Finally reached a milestone: Destruction level 75. Finished the mage College quests, which more than anything else, gave me enough very valuable loot (along with everything in arch-mage quarters), to buy my way from 71 to 75. I now have J'zargo as my follower and he's good. I'm at Level 18 but only got two more main quests, so getting close to the end (I think). Very fun game, lots of things they did right.
Old 01-01-2012, 07:51 PM   #1191
thesloppy
Pro Starter

After 50 some levels I finally took a side in the civil war. Stoopid Nords forced me to join the Empire, just in order to kill some of them racist bastards.
Old 01-01-2012, 09:59 PM   #1192
Mustang
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
I think the smithingskill is somewhat facetious.

Smithing is by far the easiest to get to 100 in. Seems like they almost want you to get to 100 so you can craft Dragon bone Armor.

As for ore/bars, wish you could melt down some of the equipment you find.
You, you will regret what you have done this day. I will make you regret ever being born. Your going to wish you never left your mothers womb, where it was warm and safe... and wet. i am going to show you pain you never knew existed, you are going to see a whole new spectrum of pain, like a Rainboooow. But! This rainbow is not just like any other rainbow, its...
Mustang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2012, 10:03 PM   #1193
Buccaneer
Head Coach

Done. Took about 40 hours, reached level 19 and completed the Main Quests as well as the College of Winterhold quests. Every Christmas-New Years for the past 10 years, we always play an RPG game and this was easily one of the best ones ever. Thanks for the recommendation Blackie!
Old 01-01-2012, 10:06 PM   #1194
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mustang View Post
As for ore/bars, wish you could melt down some of the equipment you find.

I've thought that a few times myself. It seems like a logical option to have, even if it was limited by the risk of some failure (kind of like the way you could harvest plants but sometimes come up empty in Oblivion).

Last edited by JonInMiddleGA : 01-01-2012 at 10:06 PM.
JonInMiddleGA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2012, 10:22 PM   #1195
Crapshoot
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by thesloppy View Post
After 50 some levels I finally took a side in the civil war. Stoopid Nords forced me to join the Empire, just in order to kill some of them racist bastards.

I have to say, I love the fact that the civil war is not easy - not the standard "opressors + evil overlord" vs "heroes", but rather one where both parties are both admirable and despicable (ie, the racism, the fact that the Empire needed to survive). I still haven't made a decision (Level 30), but its definitely a genuine moral dilemma. I supposed I could avoid it all together, but that seems somewhat... chicken.
Crapshoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2012, 11:04 PM   #1196
RainMaker
Hall Of Famer

Is there any way to make your own arrows?
Old 01-01-2012, 11:09 PM   #1197
mckerney
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by RainMaker View Post
Is there any way to make your own arrows?

Not without mods
Old 01-01-2012, 11:56 PM   #1198
Buccaneer
Head Coach

Probably should mention that I played most of the game as a dual-caster mage. It took a while to learn how to effectively fight, even though I had to adjust at time depending on the circumstances. Most of the time, I had my distance spell (firebolt, fireball and then the awesome incinerator) in my left hand (lmb) and my close-in spell (flames, sparks) in my right (rmb). I would switch to both flames when I have to fight those @%!$ flying ice things. The distance/close combo worked very well when going through a cave/etc. where you don't know whether something is going to appear at a distance or close in.
Old 01-02-2012, 03:12 AM   #1199
Dreghorn2
n00b

Quote:
those @%!$ flying ice things.

I hate those @%!$ flying ice things.

I've restarted about 7 times. I want to do the main quests 'right' with my 'final' character.

Level 21 Illusion/Conjuror (great mix) so much fun. Just headed for Hrothgar.

Wife thinks i'm nuts.
Dreghorn2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2012, 09:45 PM   #1200
mckerney
Coordinator

I love being able to deal 1050 damage on a backstab with my dagger. Just took donw a Dwarven Centurion Guardian in one hit.

Last edited by mckerney : 01-05-2012 at 09:52 PM.