Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Archives > FOFC Archive
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 12-31-2007, 01:35 PM   #1151
Ajaxab
College Benchwarmer

Anyone know what a ballpark average for games played in a season might be? Obviously, it varies with a given player's stamina, but I was curious how others were using their squad. I tend to use a rotation early in the year and then gradually play a consistent first team as the season progresses. It's worked with Ajax so far as we have won two Dutch league championships out of two, but I've wondered if we might go further in other competitions if I played a consistent first team all the time.

So how do you use your squad when you have a solid first team and pretty solid second team?
Ajaxab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2007, 01:43 PM   #1152
DaddyTorgo
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ajaxab View Post
Anyone know what a ballpark average for games played in a season might be? Obviously, it varies with a given player's stamina, but I was curious how others were using their squad. I tend to use a rotation early in the year and then gradually play a consistent first team as the season progresses. It's worked with Ajax so far as we have won two Dutch league championships out of two, but I've wondered if we might go further in other competitions if I played a consistent first team all the time.

So how do you use your squad when you have a solid first team and pretty solid second team?

I tend to lean quite heavily on my first-teamers - in fact almost exclusively. The exception to this is when I have 3 starting-caliber players. Then I will rotate.

Two years ago I rotated among 3 strikers. This year one of them aged a bit and fell off so I kept with the starting two and would spot-rest them with the third guy. However this year I had 3 starting-caliber MC's. So I employed a fairly-strict rotation system with the 2 DMC's, rotating them pretty much every other game (except of course for times when there were injuries). I thought I would be doing the same with my MR's, but one of them seized the starting job.

I never ever rotate defenders. I like to think that they have "unit cohesion" (not sure if they do at all or if it's team-wide), but my backline will stay steady unless there's injury.
DaddyTorgo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2007, 01:46 PM   #1153
Cringer
Grizzled Veteran

My first team usually is in there every match. Injuries being the exception of course. I have one or two guys who can't handle a 3 matches in 7 days stretch very well, so he may sit one of those games if needed but not always.

At striker I rotate one spot because no one has emerged as being consistent enough to hold it down full time. My guy who I thought just did went cold and now is injured, I am waiting to see how he plays when he returns in two weeks.
Old 12-31-2007, 03:06 PM   #1154
DaddyTorgo
Hall Of Famer

Newcastle, Middlesborough or Man City...who do I want as a feeder??

hehe
Old 12-31-2007, 03:07 PM   #1155
Glengoyne
Grizzled Veteran

I've been seeing a ton of missed penalty kicks. In fact, when a penalty has occurred in the box in my games, exactly NONE of them have been converted. I've missed two, and my opponents have missed four. I'm thinking that this screams BUG, but my search to this point hasn't turned any up.
Glengoyne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2007, 03:09 PM   #1156
DaddyTorgo
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glengoyne View Post
I've been seeing a ton of missed penalty kicks. In fact, when a penalty has occurred in the box in my games, exactly NONE of them have been converted. I've missed two, and my opponents have missed four. I'm thinking that this screams BUG, but my search to this point hasn't turned any up.

I missed 3 in a row in different games this past season. *shrug*
Old 12-31-2007, 03:11 PM   #1157
Cringer
Grizzled Veteran

My team usually make PKs. Maybe miss 3 (maybe 4) out of every 10.
Old 12-31-2007, 03:13 PM   #1158
DaddyTorgo
Hall Of Famer

can't decide who I want to be my feeder in England.

Newcastle got dropped down for being in administration but are predicted to come back up.

Man City and Middlesborough are both bottom-dwellers in the premier league, with Man City being predicted to finish slightly better...

I'm leaning Newcastle...
Old 12-31-2007, 03:54 PM   #1159
wbatl1
High School Varsity

Question for those of you who have some international management experience: How do you go about putting together a staff for your international teams? I was just appointed manager of the Ivory Coast, and am struggling and wondering how to find an Assisstant Manager and perhaps a coach. There are no native Ivorians that come up when I search staff, and lots of coaches have turned me down--I looked at coaches from other African countries, young coaches, coaches from my staff at my club, etc. and can't get anyone to accept. The funny thing is that many of these people haven't had great coaching stats, so I really have no idea how to proceed...

Thanks for any help!
Old 12-31-2007, 04:05 PM   #1160
DaddyTorgo
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by wbatl1 View Post
Question for those of you who have some international management experience: How do you go about putting together a staff for your international teams? I was just appointed manager of the Ivory Coast, and am struggling and wondering how to find an Assisstant Manager and perhaps a coach. There are no native Ivorians that come up when I search staff, and lots of coaches have turned me down--I looked at coaches from other African countries, young coaches, coaches from my staff at my club, etc. and can't get anyone to accept. The funny thing is that many of these people haven't had great coaching stats, so I really have no idea how to proceed...

Thanks for any help!

IMO this is an area that SI need to fix. Either through having a "phantom backroom staff" for international management or by letting you advertise for it. I've had times where I'm managing a small country (Columbia comes to mind) and I couldn't get anyone to come and be on staff.

You don't need as extensive a staff...an assman...maybe a scout or two is about all.

I wish you could advertise for it...

Last edited by DaddyTorgo : 12-31-2007 at 04:07 PM.
Old 12-31-2007, 04:06 PM   #1161
DaddyTorgo
Hall Of Famer

funny thing is that as ivory coast I had that same problem. I think I found some crap guy somewhere at some italian c1 club or something
Old 12-31-2007, 08:34 PM   #1162
daedalus
Pro Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by dacman View Post
The rule in England is 1 month for players already in England.
that blows.

the limitation, not you.

thanks, dac!!!
daedalus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2008, 04:22 PM   #1163
DaddyTorgo
Hall Of Famer

so awards like "european striker of the year" are totally based on international performance for country and not performance for club, right??
Old 01-01-2008, 04:23 PM   #1164
DaddyTorgo
Hall Of Famer

i'm the 2nd richest club in the world...why does my chairman still insist on holding the line on staff wages? I have $20m extra in player wages, how come some of that can't be allocated to staff wages? i'm losing good staff because of this...it sucks
Old 01-01-2008, 05:13 PM   #1165
BYU 14
Coordinator

Currently playing Millwall in the Coca-Cola Championship and just had my Keeper (Preston Edwards) score a goal that took an odd bounce over the opposing Keepers head.........We are fighting for a spot in the promotion playoffs due mainly to his play and the emergence of new finnish signing Juho Makela who has 29 goals in 32 Championship games.

This game is definitely in a tightly contested race for my favorite sports game ever with Title Bout and FOF-TCY.
BYU 14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2008, 05:40 PM   #1166
Critch
lolzcat

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrBug708 View Post
ANy luck with the tactic Todd? (I think it wasyou who was interested in it)

I've been trying a version of your 2-3-2-2-1 formation too. It seems to work best when playing against a team that are going for the win, but struggles more when you're playing against an ultra-defensive team. I've had a few games at home to strugglers that have ended up in draws because my team couldnt make a breakthrough. I think this is partly due to the tactic (the fast pace and tight marking don't work well against the ultra defensive) and partly due to me only having one reliable striker and a yard long injury list. A champions league tie v Red Star Belgrade injured 8 of my starting 11 over the 2 legs, Red Star kicked us all over the place, and it's made the start of the league campaign more difficult than it should have been.

I also had a problem with defending a late lead, especially when the opponent went to 4-2-4 for the last 10 minutes to chase a game. I've made a version of the tactic with the fullbacks and wingers pulled back into a boring 4-1-4-1 counter attack version to defend leads and that seems to work better.

You said the tactic needed a couple of shutdown central defenders, and it's definitely looked a lot better since I bought myself a new central defense. The tactic is really a lot more defensively sound than it looks at first glance, the pushed forward fullbacks work a lot better than I expected.

16 games into the season my team has won 8, drawn 8 and lost none, so it's looking good.
Critch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2008, 12:05 AM   #1167
DaddyTorgo
Hall Of Famer

fyi - for daedelus

my GK who I was worried about "could he step it up?" last night?

Over the course of the season today (which is 5 games from over) he has

46 appearances...only 29 goals conceeded, and 25 clean sheets.

so yeah...i'd say he has finally stepped it up
Old 01-02-2008, 12:11 AM   #1168
jbergey22
Grizzled Veteran

For those of you currently playing this game. Is the latest patch working fine or should I be waiting for the next patch for something serious? thanks in advance
jbergey22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2008, 07:23 AM   #1169
Mizzou B-ball fan
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbergey22 View Post
For those of you currently playing this game. Is the latest patch working fine or should I be waiting for the next patch for something serious? thanks in advance

The game is very good in its current state. No need to hold off on playing.
Mizzou B-ball fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2008, 07:34 AM   #1170
Toddzilla
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mizzou B-ball fan View Post
+1
Toddzilla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2008, 08:25 AM   #1171
BYU 14
Coordinator

Quote:

Seconded, the most immersive sports sim out there.
BYU 14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2008, 10:24 AM   #1172
DaddyTorgo
Hall Of Famer

Quote:

+1000
Old 01-02-2008, 11:59 AM   #1173
scooter
High School Varsity

Do you guys know if skins designed for FM will work in WWSM? I tried the Flex skin as I wanted a darker background, but when I went to change it, the game just hung for >15 minutes. I just quit, reinstalled and have been using the default skin (my eyes are bleeding!). Any help would be appreciated.
scooter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2008, 11:59 AM   #1174
jbergey22
Grizzled Veteran

Thanks for the help. Time to fire it up again.
jbergey22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2008, 12:02 PM   #1175
path12
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by scooter View Post
Do you guys know if skins designed for FM will work in WWSM? I tried the Flex skin as I wanted a darker background, but when I went to change it, the game just hung for >15 minutes. I just quit, reinstalled and have been using the default skin (my eyes are bleeding!). Any help would be appreciated.

I've had no problems with FM skins in WWSM so far. I don't think 07 skins work with 08, but other than that it should be fine.
Old 01-02-2008, 01:03 PM   #1176
kserra
H.S. Freshman Team

Skipped 07...but played the snot out of 06...I've got to say this new version is just awesome...I'm playing this game at least 4 hours a day and nothing else...

If you're waiting for the game to be in a "perfect" condition, I'd say jump in now...I haven't seen anything to deter me from playing a long-term game with this version...

Quick question...I just got Southend promoted up to the Championship in the first season...but I've yet to see ANY international jobs listed as I'm now 1/2 way through the 08/09 season...

Any ideas why this is so? I'm looking forward to taking a smaller country over in addition to getting my Southenders up into the Premier...
kserra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2008, 01:09 PM   #1177
Cringer
Grizzled Veteran

Ended my 2nd SD1 season in 3rd, up from 5th the year before. It is good, but a bit disappointing after the holding 1st for a week with 10 matches left. Playing my friendlies going into season 3. It is so hard to sign/buy players though even with some money to do so. I have a crap stadium, bad training facilities, and still officially semi-pro. Still, if i don't get 2nd or 1st this year I am not sure I can get much better next year.
Old 01-02-2008, 01:21 PM   #1178
MrBug708
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by kserra View Post
Skipped 07...but played the snot out of 06...I've got to say this new version is just awesome...I'm playing this game at least 4 hours a day and nothing else...

If you're waiting for the game to be in a "perfect" condition, I'd say jump in now...I haven't seen anything to deter me from playing a long-term game with this version...

Quick question...I just got Southend promoted up to the Championship in the first season...but I've yet to see ANY international jobs listed as I'm now 1/2 way through the 08/09 season...

Any ideas why this is so? I'm looking forward to taking a smaller country over in addition to getting my Southenders up into the Premier...

There needs to be a reason to get fired (international) for you to be able to play as that country as well as...50 players available in the world that are "signable" and eligible for the national team
MrBug708 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2008, 01:29 PM   #1179
kserra
H.S. Freshman Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrBug708 View Post
There needs to be a reason to get fired (international) for you to be able to play as that country as well as...50 players available in the world that are "signable" and eligible for the national team

Has anyone gotten further into the game and seen whether coaching the smaller type countries as an international is worthwhile? My usual goal is to jump on the USA job a few years into playing, though who knows how long it will take for the job to open (Arenas was always gone soon after starting, Bradley may stick around)...but if the USA job isn't open, I usually find a job with a small European team or Latin American...are there players available (small database)?
kserra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2008, 01:36 PM   #1180
MrBug708
Head Coach

In my game (MLS, England to L1, Italy 2 leagues, and Scotland Premier) has a few small counties, mostly in the America's. USA sucks more then it does now, Mexico is awesome, decent S.A. countries too. I'm in year 2031 as it stands so there are teams to be played, but USA is not a team I would consider a thread. Most of the passable talent is about aged 30 or so with declining physical skills.
Old 01-02-2008, 08:20 PM   #1181
Cringer
Grizzled Veteran

Very cool. Just into the first few weeks of my 3rd SD1 season. With only two forwards on loan from parent club Rangers, I went to see if they had any new backs. Both my centre backs for most of last season where on loan from Rangers but I replaced them with my own guys towards the end because I was unhappy with them, and didn't want to even try for them this year.

When I looked I saw a new 19 year old on their reserves I hadn't seen before. He plays both left and right defender spots and is definetly better then one of the guys I have starting there now, maybe better then both. So I ask for him on loan, and I just found out he agreed. Then he comes onboard and besides the normal "happy for a chance at first team action" comment I get....

"Brown is excited at joining the Albion Rovers and hopes the move ends up being a permanent one. He immediately told a local paper he felt at home."

Nice. I have never had a guy on loan say that before. If he does good I will definetly buy the guy.
Old 01-02-2008, 08:22 PM   #1182
SackAttack
Head Coach

Hmm. Do leagues have to be active for feeder links to work?
SackAttack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2008, 08:33 PM   #1183
MrBug708
Head Coach

Nope
Old 01-02-2008, 08:42 PM   #1184
SackAttack
Head Coach

Hmm. I wound up with Sporting as my feeder link for citizenship, but it's greyed out whenever I try to send anyone there.

What do I need to do to make that work?
Old 01-02-2008, 08:57 PM   #1185
DaddyTorgo
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by SackAttack View Post
Hmm. I wound up with Sporting as my feeder link for citizenship, but it's greyed out whenever I try to send anyone there.

What do I need to do to make that work?

be within the transfer windows of both leagues?
Old 01-02-2008, 09:21 PM   #1186
SackAttack
Head Coach

Could be. Now I just have to figure out what that window is for the spanish league. thanks for the suggestion.
Old 01-02-2008, 09:32 PM   #1187
DaddyTorgo
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Could be. Now I just have to figure out what that window is for the spanish league. thanks for the suggestion.

just click on the league somewhere (so you have the standings up for example). Then there should be a "rules" link on the left side with the transfer windows in it

oh here

July 2nd - August 31

AND

January 2nd - January 30th (excludes players who have played 5 games in the division they are trying to transfer into already that season)
Old 01-02-2008, 09:32 PM   #1188
Cringer
Grizzled Veteran

3rd season in SD1 is off to a great start. I am 2-2-0 and sitting in first. I just took out Clyde, freshly relegated from the SPL and favored to win SD1, 4-1 at their place. I know at times I was frustrated with only being able to sign SPL and English reject 18 and 19 year olds, but they were doing well and are paying off bigtime I think now. Getting them trained properly (at least I think) has given me a pretty good team full of 1st teamers who are 20-23 and now have been together multiple years and still getting better.

Negatives: I only want one more coach so I can get Shooting training up above the 3 stars it is now. My stupid board only suggests one though and I have 5. They won't let me get any more. As someone said with their coaches salary earlier, it annoys me when I have surplus transfer and salary money and they won't let me take care of my coaching staff how I see fit. Maybe if the board ever decides to turn PRO I can get more coaches.

Positive: The frickin' board finally agreed to upgrade my training facilities after asking for years. I am at "adequate" for both training and youth training. Getting one bumped up is nice. This should help me train my players better should it not?

Ok, I need to fight off the urge to keep playing. I need to get some sleep. I have to get up by 5 am.
Old 01-02-2008, 10:06 PM   #1189
SackAttack
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaddyTorgo View Post
just click on the league somewhere (so you have the standings up for example). Then there should be a "rules" link on the left side with the transfer windows in it

oh here

July 2nd - August 31

AND

January 2nd - January 30th (excludes players who have played 5 games in the division they are trying to transfer into already that season)

Pretty sure you have to have the league active in order to get to the standings screen, and that's been my issue all along. I don't have enough RAM to roll with more than just England active.
Old 01-02-2008, 10:09 PM   #1190
samifan24
Pro Starter

Quote:
I wound up with Sporting as my feeder link for citizenship, but it's greyed out whenever I try to send anyone there.

How does this work exactly?
Old 01-02-2008, 10:19 PM   #1191
SackAttack
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by samifan24 View Post
How does this work exactly?

It's a team in another EU nation. Way the EU works, if you're a citizen of a member nation, you can work/live in any other, as I understand it.

Sign a player who can't get an English work permit, send 'em to a feeder in an EU nation, then bring 'em back once they've earned their citizenship in that country.

I'm sure I'm probably screwing part of the explanation up, but that's how I understand it.
Old 01-02-2008, 10:30 PM   #1192
daedalus
Pro Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaddyTorgo View Post
fyi - for daedelus

my GK who I was worried about "could he step it up?" last night?

Over the course of the season today (which is 5 games from over) he has

46 appearances...only 29 goals conceeded, and 25 clean sheets.

so yeah...i'd say he has finally stepped it up
nice! and we were worried for nothing.
daedalus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2008, 10:39 PM   #1193
DaddyTorgo
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by daedalus View Post
nice! and we were worried for nothing.

yes. course the $90m that I spent on Micah Richards from Tottenham probably helped to shore up the right side of my defense where Zaccardo was ageing too. 39 game unbeaten streak!!

the season is complete (well...minus 2 games - the Italian Cup final and the CL Final) and he's

54 appearances

33 goals against

29 clean sheets

edit: and Buffon just finished out his career with a victory at the Olympic Stadium. Pulled him off in the 85th minute, and I could heard the cheers and the standing ovation from the little computer-crowd in my head.

Man I love this game.

Last edited by DaddyTorgo : 01-02-2008 at 10:42 PM.
Old 01-03-2008, 04:01 PM   #1194
FrogMan
Hattrick Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cringer View Post
Very cool. Just into the first few weeks of my 3rd SD1 season. With only two forwards on loan from parent club Rangers, I went to see if they had any new backs. Both my centre backs for most of last season where on loan from Rangers but I replaced them with my own guys towards the end because I was unhappy with them, and didn't want to even try for them this year.

When I looked I saw a new 19 year old on their reserves I hadn't seen before. He plays both left and right defender spots and is definetly better then one of the guys I have starting there now, maybe better then both. So I ask for him on loan, and I just found out he agreed. Then he comes onboard and besides the normal "happy for a chance at first team action" comment I get....

"Brown is excited at joining the Albion Rovers and hopes the move ends up being a permanent one. He immediately told a local paper he felt at home."

Nice. I have never had a guy on loan say that before. If he does good I will definetly buy the guy.

I had this one happen to me with a young striker coming on loan frmo pur parent club Arsenal. I didn't really need him when I signed him for a loan and I pretty much forgot about him while he was playing for our reserves for like 3/4 of the season until I brought him up for one game and he tore it up, scoring on an amazing run. He finished the season with 6 goals in 7 games, 2 MoM and an average form rating of 7.71. His loan came to an end and I made it my priority to sign that 19yo phenom in the offseason as soon as my board would unlock some funds. Did so to the sound of $900k but the kid has sadly turned into a shmock, averagin only 6.00 in form over the first 6 games of the season. In his last game, when he looked like he was waking up, he got hurt and will miss a month or so...

That's the kind of thing that makes FM/WWSM so immersive and amazing. I mean, players feel like they really live, like they're real damnit! I care deeply when we lose a game. I still remember being so upset when I got sacked by Luton back in FM2005, was upset for a whole week... Simply a great game...

Among other funny things that make it real is the 2D engine. You ever seen it when a contested decision happens? Pay attention next time and you might see a bunch of players huddling up around the referee or maybe one or two of them going to the assistant referee to complain that a players was offside on a goal. Hilarious. Just saw two players run to the assistant to complain about such an instance, then read "the referee warns Chris Morgan". Sure enough, one of the two complainers was said Chris Morgan...

FM
Old 01-03-2008, 05:08 PM   #1195
FrogMan
Hattrick Moderator

dola, and yup, not that it will keep me from enjoying the game, but something will definitely need to be tweaked with that confidence thing...

Third round of the Carling Cup, overall expectations were to make it to round 2, so we're already past that. We drew Tottenham for that 3rd round, ouch. We're still battling it up in Leagu One and we get to play that Premiership club. The media anticipate and killing with The Spurs 1-2 favorites.

We start the game and dang, we are hanging in there. We even get a penaly in the 9th minute that we piss away by kicking it to the keeper. We take a 1-0 lead in the 21st minute on an amazing cross to the 6 yard box headed straight in by my new winger just signed in the offseason. They are pressuring us like crazy but we hang in there for the whole game. We even go down a man when that same winger gets injured and has to be taken off after I'd done all my three subs. In the 84th minute the pressure is too much and my keeper makes a rare mistake coming out of his goal. 1-1 after 90. It's the League Cup so it's extra time, 10 players and all, they end up scoring at the start of the second period of extra time. We lose it 1-2.

Now about my fans, are they happy, despite the loss? Nope, they are VERY disappointed, the kind of disappointed I've never seen before. There's not even a tiny bit of yellow showing on their appreciation bar, NOTHING, ungrateful bastards. Sure, they outshot us something like 27-4 but damnit, we were leading, and gave up the two goals when playing with only 10 men, against a freaking premiership club, what else should we be doing to make you happy? Free blow job at the half???

Oh well...

FM
Old 01-03-2008, 06:38 PM   #1196
dacman
College Benchwarmer

I honestly think something is backwards in the confidence calculation somewhere. One of my games I lost to a non-league team in FA Cup despite being heavy favorites and my fans were rather indifferent.

Last edited by dacman : 01-03-2008 at 06:39 PM.
dacman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2008, 06:47 PM   #1197
Crapshoot
Grizzled Veteran

Okay,
this is crazy: Beat AC-Milan 4-1 as Man City to qualify for the Champions League - then got thrashed 5-1 by Newcastle, only to thrash Arsenal 4-1 away from home. My team gives me more heartache than real life does.
Crapshoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2008, 07:04 PM   #1198
ice4277
Pro Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by dacman View Post
I honestly think something is backwards in the confidence calculation somewhere. One of my games I lost to a non-league team in FA Cup despite being heavy favorites and my fans were rather indifferent.

Not sure what level your team is at, but I could see this happening, especially if you are challenging for promotion in your league.
ice4277 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2008, 07:14 PM   #1199
DaddyTorgo
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by FrogMan View Post
what else should we be doing to make you happy? Free blow job at the half???

FM

there's an idea...
Old 01-03-2008, 10:35 PM   #1200
lighthousekeeper
College Starter

did you ever have an opposing team that you always seemed to draw in cup competitions? for me it's the glam rock squad Rushden & Diamonds:

2008 FA Trophy (we lose 1-4)
2010 FA Cup (we lose 0-7)
2011 Setanta Shield (...)