Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Archives > FOFC Archive
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 05-14-2007, 11:49 AM   #1151
Ksyrup
This guy has posted so much, his fingers are about to fall off.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vinatieri for Prez View Post
Thanks, but I'll pass on taking the incompetent and bitter Tom Walsh's word on anything.

Yes, I know the evidence throughout Moss' career tends to show that Walsh is just making it all up...
M's pitcher Miguel Batista: "Now, I feel like I've had everything. I've talked pitching with Sandy Koufax, had Kenny G play for me. Maybe if I could have an interview with God, then I'd be served. I'd be complete."
Ksyrup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2007, 12:02 PM   #1152
Vinatieri for Prez
College Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ksyrup View Post
Yes, I know the evidence throughout Moss' career tends to show that Walsh is just making it all up...

Um, no. My point is I can use my own eyes to see Randy's lack of dedication. And there has been plenty of that. I'll just pass on putting stock in a guy who probably is only months removed from believing he lost his coaching job due to Moss.

Let's put it this way. On a weaker team with a weaker locker room and weaker coach than in New England for a long term contract, I would pass on Moss most definitely because Moss cannot function in a situation like that. But in New England, he has a shot at it. That's all.
Vinatieri for Prez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2007, 12:09 PM   #1153
Atocep
Coordinator

My hate for the Patriots rivals my hate for the Yankees, but I think Moss will be fine in New England. He's the type of person that can't function in a losing environment. I'm not saying what he's done is ok or anything of that nature, but I really don't believe you'll see it in New England.

Moss for a 4th rounder will go down as the steal of the draft. He's going to play with a QB that he knows can get him the ball, a coach he'll respect, and he's playing for a contract.
Atocep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2007, 12:09 PM   #1154
Vinatieri for Prez
College Starter

Quote:
You mean Buchanan's interview with Landry, or Landry's interview about Buchanan? I sure hope it's the former, then it's just a matter of tracking down others as opposed to an argument over whether he said those things or not.

Right. I stand corrected. Only the Landry interview was on tape.

And as predicted by others, I believe Buchanana just recently issued his first denial.
Old 05-14-2007, 12:12 PM   #1155
Ksyrup

Quote:
Um, no. My point is I can use my own eyes to see Randy's lack of dedication. And there has been plenty of that. I'll just pass on putting stock in a guy who probably is only months removed from believing he lost his coaching job due to Moss.

Let's put it this way. On a weaker team with a weaker locker room and weaker coach than in New England for a long term contract, I would pass on Moss most definitely because Moss cannot function in a situation like that. But in New England, he has a shot at it. That's all.

I still don't see what that has to do with what Walsh said. We've certainly seen plenty of evidence of exactly what he described, so the only reason not to "put stock" in what he's said is if you believe what he described didn't happen.
M's pitcher Miguel Batista: "Now, I feel like I've had everything. I've talked pitching with Sandy Koufax, had Kenny G play for me. Maybe if I could have an interview with God, then I'd be served. I'd be complete."
Old 05-14-2007, 12:14 PM   #1156
Ksyrup

Quote:
Right. I stand corrected. Only the Landry interview was on tape.

And as predicted by others, I believe Buchanana just recently issued his first denial.

I like saying Buchanana. Keep spelling it that way.
Old 05-14-2007, 12:16 PM   #1157
Vinatieri for Prez
College Starter

I guess all I can say is I'll need other confirmation before I believe a bitter Walsh that Randy blew 14 of 28 assignments. I'm not saying it didn't happen. I'm not saying it did either.
Old 05-14-2007, 12:45 PM   #1158
Eaglesfan27
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by albionmoonlight View Post
To pick your professional brain for a second here:

I have a sense that dog fighting is . . . jacked up is a way that other violent crimes are not. Like, sick in the head kind of jacked up--like pedophelia (sp?) or being a fire bug or that sort of thing.

Is that true? There just seems to be something different in kind about abusing animals for money than, for instance, being involved in the drug trade, or prostitution, or theft, etc.

There aren't many studies that have examined this issue, however, there are a few. Most experts in childhood development of sociopathy consider cruelty to animals (outside of hunting and eating them) to be one of the cardinal signs of sociopathy that is the worst prognostic factor (along with malicious fire starting and wetting/messing oneself intentionally.) Cruelty to common house hold pets is worse in that hierarchy than say cruelty to a bug or something repulsive. Those studies have been extended to include a belief that in adults animal cruelty is a marker for more severe forms of sociopathic behavior and lack of empathy for one's fellow man.

Last edited by Eaglesfan27 : 05-14-2007 at 12:46 PM.
Eaglesfan27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2007, 08:05 AM   #1159
albionmoonlight
Head Coach

I guess that there could still be federal charges brought against Vick, but it looks like the state is not that interested in pursuing anything.

http://www.wvec.com/news/topstories/....6c10df24.html

Quote:
Two different sources in law enforcement say NFL quarterback Michael Vick not only knew about the dog fighting at a house he owned, but that he was an active participant at the fights that allegedly took place behind the house.

When investigators took a peek behind Vick’s property last month, they found dozens of pit bulls with cuts and scars. They discovered a fighting ring, treadmills and blood soaked carpeting, but they also found documents they say, "Absolutely link Vick to the dog-fighting operation."

In the nearly three weeks since the bust, investigators tell 13News they've interviewed multiple people who say they went to dog fights on the property and saw Vick there.

They're also investigating posts on an underground dog fighting web site.

In 2003, a breeder with the name MV Kennels boasted about having dogs capable of killing in 14 minutes. An entry for a dog named Maggie Mae said, "Nothing lived long enough to fight back."

Two men identifying themselves as friends of Vick seemed to be doing landscape work at Vick’s home Monday, days after Vick sold the property.

Initially Vick said he'd never been to the house, though numerous neighbors told us he was there regularly.

In a weekend press conference, Vick declined to talk about the case.

"The situation is still under investigation," said Vick. "And my attorneys have advised me not to talk about it right now."

Yet with all this evidence, there are no charges yet. Investigators say they're frustrated with the Commonwealth's Attorney who'd be the one to file those charges. They say he has not even scheduled a meeting to review the evidence.

Commonwealth’s Attorney Gerald Poindexter would not talk to us on camera but said off-camera, "They have not requested a meeting with me. That is a lie."

But both sources said they've tried repeatedly to reach Poindexter.

One investigator had multiple attorneys with dog fighting case law experience call Poindexter to offer help. The investigator says Poindexter never called back, yet Poindexter told us the case is wrapping up.

"There should be a conclusion in 7 to 10 days," he said.

He would not disclose any parts of the investigation, saying lawyers who do that are despicable, and he would not say if now he plans to call a meeting with investigators.

Last edited by albionmoonlight : 05-15-2007 at 08:07 AM.
albionmoonlight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2007, 08:09 AM   #1160
albionmoonlight
Head Coach

dola-

Though having lived through the whole Duke Rape disgrace up here, I can say that I appreciate a prosecuting attorney who does not talk about charges in the media.
Old 05-15-2007, 08:11 AM   #1161
Ksyrup

If that evidence is there, this guy is going to get roasted for not bring charges against Vick. I mean, not only is there supposedly evidence that he actively participated, but he owns the damn property!

At some point, those witness statements will be made public and this guy will have to answer for what he did (or failed to do). Then again, it could be that he has the evidence and is keeping everything close to the vest so as not to allow leaks, which might mean he's planning to charge Vick. Who knows.

Last edited by Ksyrup : 05-15-2007 at 08:12 AM.
Old 05-15-2007, 08:13 AM   #1162
Ksyrup

Yeah, my last point is related to the Duke thing. Maybe he's keeping the investigators and other 3rd parties out of it to lessen the chances of information getting out before he decides what to do. If the evidence is what they say it is, maybe he doesn't need any help in making this decision - he just doesn't want many people knowing what the decision is.
Old 05-15-2007, 08:15 AM   #1163
Ksyrup

I wonder what he means by a "conclusion in 7 to 10 days." I guess that could mean the investigation concludes, or the case concludes. The author seems to think it means the case, but I don't necessarily read it that way.
Old 05-15-2007, 08:30 AM   #1164
JPhillips
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eaglesfan27 View Post
There aren't many studies that have examined this issue, however, there are a few. Most experts in childhood development of sociopathy consider cruelty to animals (outside of hunting and eating them) to be one of the cardinal signs of sociopathy that is the worst prognostic factor (along with malicious fire starting and wetting/messing oneself intentionally.) Cruelty to common house hold pets is worse in that hierarchy than say cruelty to a bug or something repulsive. Those studies have been extended to include a belief that in adults animal cruelty is a marker for more severe forms of sociopathic behavior and lack of empathy for one's fellow man.

But isn't this also a cultural thing? I don't think all fans of bullfighting are sociopaths. I know a Filipino playwright that has included cock fighting in a number of his plays as a way to explore coming into manhood. I'm not trying to defend Vick in any way, but it would seem that cultural norms have to play a very big role in determining the meaning of a love for animal fighting.

I would also think that there is a difference between an organized fighting ring and animal torture, but I don't know about that.
Old 05-15-2007, 11:10 AM   #1165
Eaglesfan27
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by JPhillips View Post
But isn't this also a cultural thing? I don't think all fans of bullfighting are sociopaths. I know a Filipino playwright that has included cock fighting in a number of his plays as a way to explore coming into manhood. I'm not trying to defend Vick in any way, but it would seem that cultural norms have to play a very big role in determining the meaning of a love for animal fighting.

I would also think that there is a difference between an organized fighting ring and animal torture, but I don't know about that.

Actually, at least one of the studies I know of is cross cultural. People who like to see animals kill each other usually have some degree of sociopathy, even if it is just a little. It is just a marker or indicator and doesn't mean that someone is a sociopath. However, it does indicate they are more likely to be one (at least if you believe the studies.)

My personal opinion is that it is among the most despicable things, and I'll never be a fan of Vick's again if this looks likely to be true.
Old 05-15-2007, 02:38 PM   #1166
JPhillips
Hall Of Famer

Interesting. Thanks EF27.
Old 05-18-2007, 01:07 AM   #1167
TazFTW
Pro Rookie

Huh?

Quote:
Originally Posted by KFFL
Packers | B. Jackson unable to attend team's minicamp
Thu, 17 May 2007 21:35:45 -0700
John Clayton, of ESPN.com, reports Green Bay Packers RB Brandon Jackson will not be able to take part in the team's minicamp this weekend. He received an invitation to participate in this weekend's Premiere event in Los Angeles, where top selected skill players attend photo card shoots, contend for endorsements and receive television exposure. The NFLPA and the Management Council ruled this week that Jackson must attend the Premiere event and not the minicamp. "I'm being held out against my will. I was told I either have to go home and do nothing or go to Los Angeles. They are locking me out against my will," Jackson said. Jackson used his agent, Gary Wichard, to notify the league of the conflict and informed officials he wanted to attend the minicamp. He did show up this week to get started on training and learning the playbook. "I feel like I need to learn the plays so I can come back and try to win a starting job in the fall. I've only had four or five practices with the veterans, but my agent told me the collective bargaining agreement couldn't let me go to the minicamp," Jackson added.

Fire Ron Lee.
TazFTW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2007, 05:19 AM   #1168
stevew
Hall Of Famer

Yeah, I saw that bit about Jackson, and it really made no sense.
stevew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2007, 11:00 AM   #1169
JeeberD
General Manager

Finally, some GOOD news out of the NFL. At least one player has his priorities straight...

http://www.chron.com/disp/story.mpl/sports/4815188.html

30 becomes someone's lucky number thanks to Texans' Green, Simmons

By MEGAN MANFULL
Copyright 2007 Houston Chronicle

Texans running back Ahman Green asked around the locker room before he even approached Jason Simmons. Green wanted to know if he was wasting his time.

He didn't know Simmons well, and, even more importantly, he didn't know how attached the Texans safety was to the No. 30.

"Everybody was like, 'He's a good guy. He's going to work something out with you someway or somehow,' " Green said.

Green, who started wearing 30 even before attending Nebraska, became optimistic but still wasn't sure what it might cost him. The tradition around the NFL is that if you want someone else's number, you pay them.

When Green finally asked, Simmons shocked him.

"He said, 'Sure, but I'd like you to make a down payment on a single-parent home through a foundation or charity,' " Green said. "I was like, 'Yeah I'm all on board. That's easy. Tell me where to write the check to.'

"So instead of putting the money into his pocket, he's going to put in into somebody else's home and help them get their life started."

Simmons had no personal connection to the number 30. He wore 23 for four seasons with the Pittsburgh Steelers. When he arrived in Houston as a free agent before the 2002 season, they handed him 30.

Now, he will wear No. 22.

"It was the first number I saw," Simmons said of 22. "I don't care. Just put me on the field, and I'll play with any number."

No. 30 does mean something to Simmons now, and he also knows it will soon mean something to a worthy family in the community.

Simmons always found it a little ridiculous that players pay each other for certain numbers. But now, he is excited about how that old NFL tradition will be put toward a good cause.

"It's kind of tough for me to take money from another guy," Simmons said. "I don't need that. We'll go out and help the community, because this city has stuck by us. If we can go out and show that we're with the community and we appreciate all that they've done, I think it's a good thing."

Attention will help

Simmons has worked with various charities during his 10-year career, but it's usually been done with little fanfare. This time it's going to be different. Green was the first to speak out about their plans, but Simmons doesn't mind the attention.

They will reveal more details once they finalize their plans.

"It's not about getting credit for it," Simmons said. "But the way I look at it now is that I can get more people involved. It's time now to broaden my horizons, and if I can follow the same game plan, we can help more people out instead of just one person."

'Good role models'

It's that type of collaboration between Green and Simmons that coach Gary Kubiak values. He wants to build the team around youth but puts value on players who set positive examples on and off the field.

"When Ahman Green walks on this football field, it's instant respect because of the way he has played and stuff," Kubiak said. "But the guys we have on this team that are up in years, so to speak, are classy guys. And that's what we want, because we have such a young group that they have to have good role models every day, and I think we have that right now."

I solemnly swear to never cheer for TO
JeeberD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2007, 12:37 PM   #1170
Logan
Head Coach

Sweet, awesome job.

This should be cross-posted with the Braylon Edwards thread.
Logan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2007, 12:43 PM   #1171
Eaglesfan27
Hall Of Famer

Very cool. Thanks for posting Jeeber. Simmons immediately vaults to my list of players that I'll root for.
Old 05-18-2007, 01:21 PM   #1172
SunDevil
College Prospect

very cool. Maybe this happens all the time or not that often, but it is always good to hear about it.
That's a double whammy and I hate you.
SunDevil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2007, 02:17 PM   #1173
Mizzou B-ball fan
General Manager

KC media outlets reporting that the Dolphins corporate jet is on the ground here in KC. Sounds like the deal for Trent Green may finally be done.
Mizzou B-ball fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2007, 05:35 PM   #1174
jeff061
Grizzled Veteran

Seau resigns with the Pats. He helped out much more on the field than I was expecting last year, so it's nice to have him back.

jeff061 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2007, 04:10 PM   #1175
Ksyrup

Oops! Wanna Get Away?

Steelers employee e-mails porn to NFL

Posted: Wednesday May 23, 2007 06:15AM ET

The Steelers confirmed yesterday that one of their employees sent an "inappropriate e-mail" message from the club office to "unintended recipients" last week, violating club and NFL policy. ProFootballTalk.com first reported that Steelers line coach Larry Zierlein inadvertently forwarded an e-mail he received from Doug Whaley, the Steelers' pro personnel coordinator, to multiple high-level team employees and their secretaries throughout the NFL, including commissioner Roger Goodell.
Old 05-23-2007, 04:29 PM   #1176
MikeVic
Head Coach

Quote:
Oops! Wanna Get Away?

Steelers employee e-mails porn to NFL

Posted: Wednesday May 23, 2007 06:15AM ET

The Steelers confirmed yesterday that one of their employees sent an "inappropriate e-mail" message from the club office to "unintended recipients" last week, violating club and NFL policy. ProFootballTalk.com first reported that Steelers line coach Larry Zierlein inadvertently forwarded an e-mail he received from Doug Whaley, the Steelers' pro personnel coordinator, to multiple high-level team employees and their secretaries throughout the NFL, including commissioner Roger Goodell.

Hahaha. I bet it was just one of those funny chain-letter type of e-mails that contain a humorours sexual pic and/or movie.
MikeVic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2007, 04:49 PM   #1177
larrymcg421
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mizzou B-ball fan View Post
KC media outlets reporting that the Dolphins corporate jet is on the ground here in KC. Sounds like the deal for Trent Green may finally be done.

That should be quite a training camp for the Dolphins. They'll have three guys battling for the starting job.

Franchise Portfolio Draft Winner
Fictional Character Draft Winner
Television Family Draft Winner
Build Your Own Hollywood Studio Draft Winner
larrymcg421 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2007, 07:08 PM   #1178
B & B
College Benchwarmer

Location: A sports era long ago when everything didnt require a Nike logo
Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeVic View Post
Hahaha. I bet it was just one of those funny chain-letter type of e-mails that contain a humorours sexual pic and/or movie.

Take it a step further. Its probably that Camel Toe music bit set to the Beach Boys thats flying around cyberspace.
Old 06-04-2007, 03:07 PM   #1179
Ksyrup

No surprise here:

Tank Johnson gets 8 game suspension.
Old 06-05-2007, 09:21 AM   #1180
albionmoonlight
Head Coach

Saints first round pick WR Robert Meachem is having arthroscopic surgery on his knee. He should be ready to go in time for training camp.
Old 06-05-2007, 09:57 AM   #1181
DaddyTorgo
Hall Of Famer

Asante Samuel is threatening to not report till Week 10, since he hasn't signed the franchise tender yet.
DaddyTorgo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2007, 10:26 AM   #1182
Dr. Sak
Grizzled Veteran

Samuel says he feels unappreciated. Just shut the fuck up and play.
Dr. Sak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2007, 10:31 AM   #1183
rkmsuf
Head Coach

don't play then sucka. you ain't all that and the pats will let you rot there I bet.
Old 06-05-2007, 10:38 AM   #1184
stevew
Hall Of Famer

Samuel is going to probably make at least 3 times his previous 4 years earnings this year. Shut the fuck up and play, and sign your tender before they pull it. Next year he's guaranteed to make about 9.5 million if they refranchise, or he'll become a FA. Play your ass off this year, and it'll take care of itself....you ain't champ Bailey or even Nate Clements yet...close though I suppose.
stevew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2007, 10:41 AM   #1185
Ksyrup

This feels like Groundhog's Day.
Old 06-05-2007, 10:45 AM   #1186
rkmsuf
Head Coach

Quote:
This feels like Groundhog's Day.

Groundhog's Day?

Isn't it just Groundhog Day?
Old 06-05-2007, 10:47 AM   #1187
Malificent
High School JV

I understand where he's coming from - he needs to make his money now while he's young and has the leverage. We all know that veterans have no weight in the NFL - that's the way the league works. If he signs the tender, plays, and blows out a knee or something in game 4, he's losing a huge amount of money. $7m+ is definitely a lot of money, but I can't fault him for thinking about future earnings. He and the Patriots don't take it personally, just part of the business of the NFL.
Malificent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2007, 10:52 AM   #1188
st.cronin
General Manager

I appreciate Samuel.

knives out
st.cronin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2007, 10:55 AM   #1189
gottimd
Dearly Missed
(9/25/77-12/23/08)

Quote:
Originally Posted by rkmsuf View Post
Groundhog's Day?

Not the day the Groundhogs revolted against humanity, that is referred to as Groundhog's day.
In memory of Gavin Anthony: 7/22/08-7/26/08
gottimd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2007, 10:56 AM   #1190
Ksyrup

Let the groundhogs have their fucking day. It's just one day! I give them permission to own that one day.
Old 06-05-2007, 10:57 AM   #1191
rkmsuf
Head Coach

I can't wait for the "Pats tell Asante Samuel to s*ck it" thread.
Old 06-05-2007, 11:00 AM   #1192
gottimd
Dearly Missed
(9/25/77-12/23/08)

Quote:
I can't wait for the "Pats tell Asante Samuel to s*ck it" thread.

Sack it? A CB blitz?
In memory of Gavin Anthony: 7/22/08-7/26/08
gottimd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2007, 01:57 PM   #1193
BishopMVP
Coordinator

Asante does assume some risk there though. If he comes back rusty in Week 10 and looks average/above-average for the remainder of the season, teams might dismiss 2006 as a career year and he'll cost himself some $$$, although not as much as an injury would.

From a team standpoint, it's not the worst thing. The Patriots are good enough to make the playoffs regardless of whether Asante is there the first half, so this lets them develop the Ellis Hobbs, Randall Gay's and Brandon Meriwether's of the team. Then if Asante comes back and gets to full speed by playoff time, they've got depth in case of injury (which recent years showed, and especially with Harrison and Gay back there, it's likely.)

Of course, I'd still love it if we signed him by July 15, or he showed up by Week 1, which still has a decent chance of happening.
BishopMVP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2007, 02:07 PM   #1194
rkmsuf
Head Coach

I don't want to see the Pats lock up a ton of money on this guy long term. Franchise tag makes all the sense in the world. He had a great year yes but he's looking for elite money probably and the guy just isn't an elite corner.

He's on the wrong team to push for a huge deal at corner. That is not the operating procedure of this staff.
Old 06-05-2007, 03:14 PM   #1195
BishopMVP
Coordinator

When I say I'd love if we signed him longer-term by July 15, that's if he's coming down near where what we wanted to pay, rather than us paying him close to what he's asking (which won't happen.)
BishopMVP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2007, 07:19 PM   #1196
M GO BLUE!!!
Pro Starter

Well, 'Fins fans, you got your QB... better protect him!
M GO BLUE!!! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2007, 07:27 PM   #1197
Groundhog
Coordinator

Quote:
Groundhog's Day?

It's Groundhog's day everyday, MoFo!
Old 06-06-2007, 12:33 AM   #1198
Vinatieri for Prez
College Starter

Two things:

Samuel, sign the tender and buy some FUCKING INSURANCE. Enough already about all these players whining about possible career injuries and I need my money now, and the media constantly buying into this crap. The real reason though is he wants his money now because teams will see after next season that indeed he is good, but no Champ Bailey.

Second, the Pats don't need a defense anyways. Randy Moss, baby. YEAH.

(I'll let you decide which of those two points I actually believe)
Old 06-06-2007, 12:41 AM   #1199
Atocep
Coordinator

At least his agent isn't Drew Rosenhaus.
Atocep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2007, 07:50 AM   #1200
bulletsponge
Pro Starter

Quote:
Two things:

Samuel, sign the tender and buy some FUCKING INSURANCE. Enough already about all these players whining about possible career injuries and I need my money now, and the media constantly buying into this crap. The real reason though is he wants his money now because teams will see after next season that indeed he is good, but no Champ Bailey.

Second, the Pats don't need a defense anyways. Randy Moss, baby. YEAH.

(I'll let you decide which of those two points I actually believe)

Hmmmm, you love Randy Moss?
bulletsponge is offline   Reply With Quote