Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Main Forums > Off Topic
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 02-07-2007, 05:29 PM   #1151
cthomer5000
Strategy Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Travis View Post
I'm assuming anything contained in the graphic novels is fair game for discussion?

My personal feeling on this would be a disctinct "no." This is a thread about a TV show, and even speicifcally has NBC in the title. I wouldn't talk about anything that didn't happen on the TV show.
cthomer5000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2007, 05:39 PM   #1152
BrianD
Grizzled Veteran

There seem to be at least a handful of people that are avoiding the graphic novels because they are spoilerish.
BrianD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2007, 05:42 PM   #1153
Travis
Pro Rookie

Well, to counterpoint, it's NBC putting out the comic addons, information they want out there, but not necessarily having time to include in the show

Not sure why the information there would be considered spoilers, but if that's the case, I'm assuming there'd be no objection to a seperate thread that will allow for discussion of information revealed in said novels.
Travis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2007, 06:38 PM   #1154
Mr. Wednesday
Pro Starter

Quote:
My bad. It was bugging me, so I looked it back up on wiki, and it's reference from two of the graphic novels that are being put out after/between episodes. I've yet to read these (plan on catching up this weekend), so I guess the level of spoiler depends on what's being followed I guess. I'm assuming anything contained in the graphic novels is fair game for discussion?

From my point of view, "stale" information from the comics is OK but anything previewing stuff that will come up later in the show is still basically spoilers.

To take one example, issue 11 gave a show spoiler in that it showed that Sylar had not broken out after the confrontation with Eden. It wasn't appropriate to discuss that at the time, but it was IMO fine once the next show came and we saw that Sylar was still locked up.

Thanks to my FOFC Hattrick supporters - Blackout, Brillig, kingfc22, RPI-fan, Rich1033, antbacker, One_to7, ur_land, KevinNU7, and TonyR (PM me if you support me and I've missed you)
Mr. Wednesday is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2007, 06:41 PM   #1155
Franklinnoble
Banned

For those of us on the West Coast, this thread is ALWAYS full of spoilers. I don't see what the point is of trying to make it spoiler-free.
Franklinnoble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2007, 07:19 PM   #1156
Izulde
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by Franklinnoble View Post
For those of us on the West Coast, this thread is ALWAYS full of spoilers. I don't see what the point is of trying to make it spoiler-free.

It's very simple.

Don't look in the thread until after you've watched the episode. That's what a lot of people do, including me.

Rookie Writer of the Year
Dynasty of the Year: May Our Reign Be Green and Golden (CK Dynasty)
Izulde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2007, 07:29 PM   #1157
cthomer5000
Strategy Moderator

Quote:

Wouldn't you realize you should maybe just avoid the thread in the 3 hours between it airing in EST and PST?
Old 02-07-2007, 08:00 PM   #1158
wade moore
lolzcat

Quote:

Things that happen on the show and things from an "outside" source are TOTALLY different.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Subby
Maybe I am just getting old though, but I am learning to not let perfect be the enemy of the very good...

Last edited by wade moore : 02-07-2007 at 08:04 PM.
wade moore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2007, 08:10 PM   #1159
FrogMan
Hattrick Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by cthomer5000 View Post
Wouldn't you realize you should maybe just avoid the thread in the 3 hours between it airing in EST and PST?

yeah. I can't be home before 9:15 on Mondays so I record the show and watch it at 10. Sure enough, once I get on the computer, there's already been a notification of a post in the thread, I simply avoid it until I've watched it...

I will probably read the graphic novel once the season is over, but it just kinda bums me that you should read them to get to the bottom of the story...

FM
Old 02-07-2007, 08:30 PM   #1160
BrianD
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Izulde View Post
It's very simple.

Don't look in the thread until after you've watched the episode. That's what a lot of people do, including me.

Considering the fact that this thread exists to discuss the show, and over the life of the thread, most of the activity happens right after a show airs, your advice shouldn't be necessary. Notice I say "shouldn't" because apparently it is.
Old 02-07-2007, 08:36 PM   #1161
Draft Dodger
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Wednesday View Post
From my point of view, "stale" information from the comics is OK but anything previewing stuff that will come up later in the show is still basically spoilers.

I agree
Old 02-08-2007, 12:46 AM   #1162
Travis
Pro Rookie

I'll try to stay away from bringing up any novel related information until I'm sure it's mentioned in the show, but I have to admit, it seems a bit odd that information put out by the company running the show, between episodes should be considered spoilers. It's public information and obviously material they're intending to work with the show, not against it. Seems silly if we had to have a second thread just to involve commentary on information contained there.

And well, mostly my memory is bad and I forget where I see the information, so I'll try to be good.
Old 02-08-2007, 05:48 AM   #1163
wade moore
lolzcat

Quote:
I'll try to stay away from bringing up any novel related information until I'm sure it's mentioned in the show, but I have to admit, it seems a bit odd that information put out by the company running the show, between episodes should be considered spoilers. It's public information and obviously material they're intending to work with the show, not against it. Seems silly if we had to have a second thread just to involve commentary on information contained there.

And well, mostly my memory is bad and I forget where I see the information, so I'll try to be good.

Sorry, it's not part of the show. The idea that they have this seperate info is stupid, but it often tells things that will be shockers later in the show.

If it becomes standard form to post that stuff in this thread, I guarantee you this thread becomes much less active - so if you want active talk about it, deal with it and don't post stuff from the novels that is spoilerish.

Quote:
Maybe I am just getting old though, but I am learning to not let perfect be the enemy of the very good...
Old 02-08-2007, 06:25 AM   #1164
gottimd
Dearly Missed
(9/25/77-12/23/08)

Just because I am curious, but are things not spoilers? Most note that they haven't seen it so it is a spoiler so it shouldn't be posted. Technically, if I was someone who just started watching the show last night, anything discussed here is a spoiler so the entire thread should be deleted until I am all caught up.

Where does it end? I think after the show has been publicly aired, its fair game, but only to make speculations on future shows and discuss what has already happened. If you haven't seen it, wait to view the thread. If you choose to view it, beware that there maybe spoilers but life will absolutely continue on.

I agree with the fact if you come across info that is to be revealed in a future episode, don't discuss it here because people will get upset. If the show has aired or you are discussing your speculations based off of the 10 second preview of next week, its fair game.
In memory of Gavin Anthony: 7/22/08-7/26/08

Last edited by gottimd : 02-08-2007 at 06:29 AM.
gottimd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2007, 06:33 AM   #1165
wade moore
lolzcat

Quote:
Originally Posted by gottimd View Post
Just because I am curious, but are things not spoilers? Most note that they haven't seen it so it is a spoiler so it shouldn't be posted. Technically, if I was someone who just started watching the show last night, anything discussed here is a spoiler so the entire thread should be deleted until I am all caught up.

Where does it end? I think after the show has been publicly aired, its fair game, but only to make speculations on future shows and discuss what has already happened. If you haven't seen it, wait to view the thread. If you choose to view it, beware that there maybe spoilers but life will absolutely continue on.

I agree with the fact if you come across info that is to be revealed in a future episode, don't discuss it here because people will get upset. If the show has aired or you are discussing your speculations based off of the 10 second preview of next week, its fair game.

Totally agreed.

Quote:
Old 02-08-2007, 09:05 AM   #1166
lordscarlet
Pro Starter

Quote:
My bad. It was bugging me, so I looked it back up on wiki, and it's reference from two of the graphic novels that are being put out after/between episodes. I've yet to read these (plan on catching up this weekend), so I guess the level of spoiler depends on what's being followed I guess. I'm assuming anything contained in the graphic novels is fair game for discussion?

I think the graphic novels are fair game to discuss. That's why I asked. I have not read them, but I think talking about them here is fine.

"...the better half of the Moores..." -cthomer5000
lordscarlet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2007, 09:14 AM   #1167
wade moore
lolzcat

Quote:
Originally Posted by lordscarlet View Post
I think the graphic novels are fair game to discuss. That's why I asked. I have not read them, but I think talking about them here is fine.

Totally disagree. If they reveal key plot elements that have not been revealed in the show, they are not fair game.

If they are fair game, then I (and I suspect many others) will stop visiting this thread.

Quote:
Old 02-08-2007, 09:21 AM   #1168
gottimd
Dearly Missed
(9/25/77-12/23/08)

I've read some of the comics and I would have to say they do nothing to spoil the future possible events. They more provide a more detailed background. The last 3-4 of them introduce a character that hasn't been seen on the show on TV, so I agree that those comics are spoilers and shouldn't be discussed.

However many of them, for instance, fill in the gaps that the show leaves out most likely due to time constraints (Edens background, Hiro's story, etc).

The introduction of the new character stops at that though. They give the background and that is all, so essentially, correct me if I am wrong, it doesn't necessarily spoil anything other than the fact that there will be a new character at some point and nothing else.

I don't really pay much attention to them other than referring to them after an episode happened. Earlier in this thread I referenced them to clarify a backstory of a character and to openly discuss my speculation, which was wrong anyways.
Old 02-08-2007, 09:25 AM   #1169
wade moore
lolzcat

I don't think the Novels themselves are off-limits, but certain elements - like the specific one above that breaks down a HUGE plot point that has been rife for speculation even in this thread, and now someone just ruins it.

Quote:
Old 02-08-2007, 10:00 AM   #1170
Eaglesfan27
Hall Of Famer

I agree with Wade's points. Personally, I'm worried about what spoilers I may read in the novels/comics and am planning on waiting until the entire season is over to go back and read them to fill in any gaps. I don't want to know anything about new characters that haven't appeared on the show or in the 10 second preview at the end of a show.
Eaglesfan27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2007, 10:02 AM   #1171
Celeval
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by wade moore View Post
I don't think the Novels themselves are off-limits, but certain elements - like the specific one above that breaks down a HUGE plot point that has been rife for speculation even in this thread, and now someone just ruins it.

FWIW, if you're talking about the initial post at the end of the last page, the online novels (which I've read) still only imply, and don't state. It's implied that something in particular is causing the... er... thingie. And it's stated that this something in particular is used in a particular fashion in other environments. However, the connection made between them is made as an assumption by a character who doesn't have full knowledge of the situation; in fact, none of the people involved in that particular issue would have anywhere near full knowledge of the situation. If we were discussing theories, I've got a couple counters to the suggestion in the last page (from the wiki).

I'm not saying they might not be right, but it's definately conjecture from a little more information, it's not a definite answer to a question.
Celeval is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2007, 10:04 AM   #1172
wade moore
lolzcat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Celeval View Post
FWIW, if you're talking about the initial post at the end of the last page, the online novels (which I've read) still only imply, and don't state. It's implied that something in particular is causing the... er... thingie. And it's stated that this something in particular is used in a particular fashion in other environments. However, the connection made between them is made as an assumption by a character who doesn't have full knowledge of the situation; in fact, none of the people involved in that particular issue would have anywhere near full knowledge of the situation. If we were discussing theories, I've got a couple counters to the suggestion in the last page (from the wiki).

I'm not saying they might not be right, but it's definately conjecture from a little more information, it's not a definite answer to a question.

Fair point, and good to know. Makes it not quite so bad imo.

Quote:
Old 02-08-2007, 10:10 AM   #1173
gottimd
Dearly Missed
(9/25/77-12/23/08)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Celeval View Post
FWIW, if you're talking about the initial post at the end of the last page...

Post #?

I try and keep spoilers out the best I can from what I discuss on here. I mainly talk about my speculations (which are horribly wrong anyways ) and the discussion of the most recently aired show. I don't post at 10:01PM EST and talk about the episode, and I don't think many others do either. People who post immediately after the show talk about how good the episode was or how they like the show or a funny line they heard in the show.

Am I wrong to think that a day or two afterwards of the initial airing of that episode, its ok to discuss on here?
Old 02-08-2007, 10:14 AM   #1174
Celeval
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eaglesfan27 View Post
I agree with Wade's points. Personally, I'm worried about what spoilers I may read in the novels/comics and am planning on waiting until the entire season is over to go back and read them to fill in any gaps. I don't want to know anything about new characters that haven't appeared on the show or in the 10 second preview at the end of a show.

The only thing is... I guess, there's a difference between spoilers that come from casting (hey, we know that D.L. isn't the mindwipe guy because they're different actors), spoilers that come from interviews or leaked info (hey - watch for person A to break up with person B in season 3), and stuff that's officially released.
Old 02-08-2007, 10:23 AM   #1175
wade moore
lolzcat

Quote:
Post #?

I try and keep spoilers out the best I can from what I discuss on here. I mainly talk about my speculations (which are horribly wrong anyways ) and the discussion of the most recently aired show. I don't post at 10:01PM EST and talk about the episode, and I don't think many others do either. People who post immediately after the show talk about how good the episode was or how they like the show or a funny line they heard in the show.

Am I wrong to think that a day or two afterwards of the initial airing of that episode, its ok to discuss on here?

I think you're missing the line...

I think FN is the only one talking about discussing the episode after it aired. To me, you can discuss it AS it's airing and that is fine. If you don't want to know, don't come in here (I rarely watch it live and generally come in this thread a day or two later). What some of us are getting up in arms about is information from outside of the episode (whether it be the Graphic Novel here, TVGuide as jb did early in the season, etc).

Quote:
Old 02-08-2007, 10:29 AM   #1176
gottimd
Dearly Missed
(9/25/77-12/23/08)

Quote:
Originally Posted by wade moore View Post
I think you're missing the line...

I think FN is the only one talking about discussing the episode after it aired. To me, you can discuss it AS it's airing and that is fine. If you don't want to know, don't come in here (I rarely watch it live and generally come in this thread a day or two later). What some of us are getting up in arms about is information from outside of the episode (whether it be the Graphic Novel here, TVGuide as jb did early in the season, etc).

I understand and agree with you, but I am addressing the talk of an episode after it airs.

Quote:
Originally Posted by celeval
(hey - watch for person A to break up with person B in season 3),

I can't believe you just spoiled it for me, I was hoping Person B to do the breaking up!

Last edited by gottimd : 02-08-2007 at 10:29 AM.
Old 02-08-2007, 10:30 AM   #1177
Celeval
Pro Starter

Quote:
Post #?

Old 02-08-2007, 10:34 AM   #1178
Celeval
Pro Starter

A good characterization of the novels (I think, at least - this came out of an IM discussion with wade) is Lost. One of the complaints about Lost is that the pacing sucks and they don't spend enough time on the island and there are too many flashbacks. To me, the novels are like if you took out 50% of the flashbacks, turned them into comic books and put them online along with the episode. Keeps the pacing of the show better, it's not like you can't understand what's happening with just what is in the show, but there are things you find out more about; and sometime you know before they happen in visual.
Old 02-08-2007, 10:51 AM   #1179
Toddzilla
Pro Starter

I missed the very end of the show - DVR cut off as Claire's mom was dialing the phone...

Can someone please PM me and let me know

(1) Who's her daddy?
(2) What was in the preview.

THANKS!
Toddzilla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2007, 11:00 AM   #1180
cthomer5000
Strategy Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toddzilla View Post
(1) Who's her daddy?

(2) What was in the preview.

THANKS!

Nathan Petrelli is her father

I honestly forget what was in the preview, or i might not have even watched it.
Old 02-08-2007, 12:22 PM   #1181
ISiddiqui
Hall Of Famer

Chalk me down for saying what is in the novels should be fair game. It's officially released by the show, so I'm not sure about it being off limits. And like said, it seems silly to, say, create another thread on the stuff in the novels.
Old 02-08-2007, 12:36 PM   #1182
wade moore
lolzcat

Quote:
Originally Posted by ISiddiqui View Post
Chalk me down for saying what is in the novels should be fair game. It's officially released by the show, so I'm not sure about it being off limits. And like said, it seems silly to, say, create another thread on the stuff in the novels.

Well, again, if the spoiler type stuff from novels starts being posted here, just understand that some segment (i don't know what segment, but it includes me) will no longer be participating in this thread.

Quote:
Old 02-08-2007, 01:19 PM   #1183
Travis
Pro Rookie

I have a question that has perplexed me since the start of this discussion.

To those that feel the novels shouldn't be discussed because they're spoilerish, well, why?

I guess I'd understand if it was a medium not available to everybody, but it'd surprise me if any discussing the show here didn't have a chance to check them out or if they were provided third party/outside the consent of those managing the televised portion of the show.

I suppose my thinking here is to use any and all information provided by the company to help educate what will still likely be false theories on where the story/characters will go. The premise of the novels has to be information that creates more depth for the show, but that is ultimately not necessary to understanding the plot/characters for those that don't have the ability to access them. Mostly looking for why some really feel that inclusion or viewing of these novels will either wreck/ruin/etc the televised portion of the show.

Personally, I've found the preview clip of the next week's episode to be much more spoilerish than a majority of what is contained in the novels (that I've been through so far today).

More of a curious thing now more than anything else. Definitely not my intention to drive anybody away from the show discussion, but depending on how long the show goes/what background information is given, those that read the novels may indeed have to branch off to another thread in the future as their opinions/predictions can't help but be based on some information learned through the novels, so they may unintentionally make a statement that would infer portions of that acquired knowledge without really meaning to (or thinking that they're leaving out what they should, but connections made in theories rely on something read, etc).
Old 02-08-2007, 01:51 PM   #1184
Mr. Wednesday
Pro Starter

The novels aren't completely verboten, the line that we're trying to draw, I think, is situations where the novels have stuff that's spoilerish for the show. So basic background info on existing characters is OK, IMO the material in novel 11 is OK now that we know from the show that Sylar didn't escape then (but wasn't OK before that). Character previews where the characters haven't come into the show yet are not OK. Additional info about scenes where the scene has not been paid off yet are not OK (see novel 11 for the clearest example of what I mean).

Thanks to my FOFC Hattrick supporters - Blackout, Brillig, kingfc22, RPI-fan, Rich1033, antbacker, One_to7, ur_land, KevinNU7, and TonyR (PM me if you support me and I've missed you)
Mr. Wednesday is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2007, 01:52 PM   #1185
Toddzilla
Pro Starter

methinks we should keep this thread true to it's original intent - to discuss the television show and the show alone. I know the graphic novels are intended as a supplement to the show, but I don't see the harm if the people who which to discuss them start their own thread in which to do so. I *do* see the potential for harm by injecting info from the novels into this thread. I'll be reading both, in any case.
Toddzilla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2007, 02:01 PM   #1186
ISiddiqui
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Personally, I've found the preview clip of the next week's episode to be much more spoilerish than a majority of what is contained in the novels (that I've been through so far today).

Funny you say that. On another forum I used to frequent, they would make discussion regarding the 'preview clip' to be in spoiler boxes. And people would get very made if you discussed the preview clip not in a spoiler box.

In the context of this discussion one can say that the preview clip is NOT part of the show, but comes on afterwards.
Old 02-08-2007, 02:09 PM   #1187
BrianD
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
methinks we should keep this thread true to it's original intent - to discuss the television show and the show alone. I know the graphic novels are intended as a supplement to the show, but I don't see the harm if the people who which to discuss them start their own thread in which to do so. I *do* see the potential for harm by injecting info from the novels into this thread. I'll be reading both, in any case.

I think I've got much the same feeling. This is primarily a TV show with some written supplements. I don't particularly like the need to read to get more background to a TV show, but I accept that it is becoming more wide-spread. If there is something new that is going to be revealed in a TV series, I would much prefer to have it revealed in the show, not the books. It just doesn't have the same impact if you have alread read it. Some people enjoy experiencing the big reveal in the moment with the family watching along. I'm sure this isn't true for everyone, but I would guess that it is more than just me.

In a perfect world, previews would be off limits as well, but I don't really think that is reasonable. It is too hard to stay away from previews and commercials, so they have to be treated as spoilers that can't be avoided. My biggest TV peeve is to hear that "next week, one of the characters will die". I don't want to spend the whole episode trying to figure out who it will be, I just want to be surprised when it happens.
Old 02-08-2007, 02:13 PM   #1188
wade moore
lolzcat

Quote:

This is my thought. I had this discussion with Celeval earlier. I don't like that the Novellas exist. In fact, I find it to be a very frustrating model for a TV Show.

So, I think this discussion should be for the TV show.

Quote:
Old 02-08-2007, 02:16 PM   #1189
Izulde
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eaglesfan27 View Post

Same here with the following modification: I also shut off the TV or walk out of the room (depending on where I'm watching it) so I don't catch the preview, because to me the preview's a spoiler as well and I simply don't want to know.

Old 02-08-2007, 02:20 PM   #1190
rkmsuf
Head Coach

I was trying to figure out why this thread annoys me and I think I've figured it out.

People are complaining about discussing the 10 second PREVIEWS for the following week's show.

Not spoilers, not spoilers....we are talking previews....previews...not the spoilers...previews.

Last edited by rkmsuf : 02-08-2007 at 02:21 PM.
rkmsuf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2007, 02:39 PM   #1191
MikeVic
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by rkmsuf View Post
Not spoilers, not spoilers....we are talking previews....previews...not the spoilers...previews.

Ok there Allen.
MikeVic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2007, 03:01 PM   #1192
ISiddiqui
Hall Of Famer

Previews do contain spoilers. Just as much as the novels do (actually a lot more). So if we are talking about eliminating spoilers, that's a good place to start.

Do we have the vBB spoiler hack enabled?
Spoiler
Old 02-08-2007, 03:16 PM   #1193
gottimd
Dearly Missed
(9/25/77-12/23/08)

Quote:
Originally Posted by rkmsuf View Post
I was trying to figure out why this thread annoys me and I think I've figured it out.

Wait til they introduce the driving werewolf.
Old 02-08-2007, 03:21 PM   #1194
Easy Mac

Quote:
Originally Posted by Izulde View Post
Same here with the following modification: I also shut off the TV or walk out of the room (depending on where I'm watching it) so I don't catch the preview, because to me the preview's a spoiler as well and I simply don't want to know.

I actually toss it into the ocean as soon as the last scene is over.
Easy Mac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2007, 04:13 PM   #1195
Izulde
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by Easy Mac View Post
I actually toss it into the ocean as soon as the last scene is over.

This made me laugh a lot harder than it probably should have.

Old 02-08-2007, 06:05 PM   #1196
Anthony
Banned

this thread went from discussing Heroes to talking about what is allowed to be discussed in a thread about Heroes. this is excellent.
Anthony is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2007, 06:19 PM   #1197
Easy Mac

meta bitch
Easy Mac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2007, 09:01 PM   #1198
Maple Leafs
Coordinator

My wife never got into the show but now she's interested. Is there a site out there with a decent "the plot up until now" summary?
Old 02-11-2007, 09:06 PM   #1199
Swaggs
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maple Leafs View Post
My wife never got into the show but now she's interested. Is there a site out there with a decent "the plot up until now" summary?

Check out wikipedia.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Heroes_episodes
Swaggs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2007, 09:07 PM   #1200
FrogMan
Hattrick Moderator

I'd go with the Heroes Wiki. There's a solid episode listing over there...

FM