Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Main Forums > Off Topic
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 03-21-2012, 09:09 PM   #1151
ISiddiqui
Hall Of Famer

And it could be the same reason that Peyton passed on Tennessee. A homecoming could put some absolutely ridiculous expectations on the guy.
Old 03-21-2012, 09:10 PM   #1152
cuervo72
Head Coach

Said it before and I'll say it again - "Mark Sanchez" is Spanish for "Rex Grossman."

(seriously. look at those career lines.)
Old 03-21-2012, 09:35 PM   #1153
FBPro
College Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by cuervo72 View Post
Said it before and I'll say it again - "Mark Sanchez" is Spanish for "Rex Grossman."

Pretty funny, gotta say.....
GM Tennessee Titans FOWL 2020-2025
FBPro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2012, 09:59 PM   #1154
Danny
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by cuervo72 View Post

Seriously. People for some reason don't realize just how bad he is. I guess it's because he has played pretty well in the playoffs, but regular season he is easily a bottom 10 QB, at best

Last edited by Danny : 03-21-2012 at 09:59 PM.
Danny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2012, 09:57 AM   #1155
Ksyrup
This guy has posted so much, his fingers are about to fall off.

As I've thought this through, the trade makes sense for the Jets in one way - as part of an attempt to decide whether to move forward with Sanchez or not. His extension really wasn't what it appeared to be, and they are no more committed to him now than they were before the new contract.

If the stuff coming out from "anonymous sources" is true, and he acted entitled to the job and unwilling to work to improve himself, then maybe the brass felt like the best thing to do was force him to step up. And if the idea of Tebow waiting in the wings to save the team forces Sanchez to work harder and finally live up to his potential (and I'm assuming the Jets believe he has that potential), then great - they've got their franchise guy. If not, they now know they have to move on and find another guy.

They'd have Tebow as a short-term solution, they go out and draft, trade, or sign another guy, but the goal for 2012 of deciding whether Sanchez is really the guy they should keep committing to will be accomplished. So from that perspective, I kinda understand the trade. It'll still be a tremendously entertaining zoo-like atmosphere to watch, though.
M's pitcher Miguel Batista: "Now, I feel like I've had everything. I've talked pitching with Sandy Koufax, had Kenny G play for me. Maybe if I could have an interview with God, then I'd be served. I'd be complete."
Ksyrup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2012, 10:14 AM   #1156
Ksyrup

LOL Drew Stanton wants out of NY. Since when do guys like this get a say about anything?
M's pitcher Miguel Batista: "Now, I feel like I've had everything. I've talked pitching with Sandy Koufax, had Kenny G play for me. Maybe if I could have an interview with God, then I'd be served. I'd be complete."
Old 03-22-2012, 10:26 AM   #1157
Ksyrup

This insults the collective intelligence of the nation AND reads like an obvious team-requested PR job. Sheesh.

http://www.denverpost.com/broncos/ci...parked-broncos
Old 03-22-2012, 11:00 AM   #1158
Logan
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ksyrup View Post
LOL Drew Stanton wants out of NY. Since when do guys like this get a say about anything?

When they're lied to. Heard the Jets GM interviewed. They're going to try to accommodate the request because they know the situation that exists now isn't what was promised to him when they signed him.

edit: Shouldn't have said "lied" since it was a change in situations, but lacking the right word to use so I'll just leave it. Think the point still holds.

Last edited by Logan : 03-22-2012 at 11:01 AM.
Logan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2012, 11:03 AM   #1159
RendeR
Coordinator

I'd want out of New York too, having to deal with that blowhard of a coach every day would push me to shoot him and claim self defense.
RendeR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2012, 11:04 AM   #1160
Ksyrup

It's still ridiculous. I guess they can move him or release him or what-not, but he's still... Drew Stanton. They aren't moving him because he's worth something or has the power to create a stink. They're moving him because he's disposable and it's not worth piling onto the distractions they already have.

Last edited by Ksyrup : 03-22-2012 at 11:05 AM.
Old 03-22-2012, 11:07 AM   #1161
Logan
Head Coach

Quote:
It's still ridiculous. I guess they can move him or release him or what-not, but he's still... Drew Stanton. They aren't moving him because he's worth something or has the power to create a stink. They're moving him because he's disposable and it's not worth piling onto the distractions they already have.

Ok, I understand that from the team perspective, but you're asking why should a "guy like this" get the opportunity to play where he wants to. How about when a week after signing a free agent contract, where he thought he was being given a chance to play as a legitimate backup with an outside shot of moving his career along, he's now looking, at best, at 3rd string with the possibility of him being waived and claimed by a team that he has no interest in playing for?
Old 03-22-2012, 11:14 AM   #1162
Ksyrup

No, I understand it from his perspective. I just find it funny that he's asking out as if he's someone of importance or value.

I mean, I'm sure the guy who's slated to be 4th on the Packers' depth chart at OT would love an opportunity to go elsewhere if it meant the possibility of more playing time. But I don't see any of those guys demanding a trade/release when the Packers sign an OL guy to compete with him for playing time.
Old 03-22-2012, 11:28 AM   #1163
Coffee Warlord
Head Coach

In non tebow news, bears sign Michael Bush.
Coffee Warlord is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2012, 11:32 AM   #1164
Logan
Head Coach

Quote:
No, I understand it from his perspective. I just find it funny that he's asking out as if he's someone of importance or value.

I mean, I'm sure the guy who's slated to be 4th on the Packers' depth chart at OT would love an opportunity to go elsewhere if it meant the possibility of more playing time. But I don't see any of those guys demanding a trade/release when the Packers sign an OL guy to compete with him for playing time.

He was signed 5 days ago and was told by the GM (yep, I'll go back to the "lied" comment since that's how it's being reported now) that another QB was not going to be signed or drafted. If that same situation applied to your OL, I would understand it as well.
Old 03-22-2012, 11:34 AM   #1165
spleen1015
Coordinator

Quote:

The team went against promises made to the guy. He has every right to ask to be let go because of it. It doesn't matter if he's the #1 QB or the backup holder.
spleen1015 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2012, 11:57 AM   #1166
jbergey22
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:

I do mostly agree with this. A player like him should just be happy a team is willing to pay him. I suppose he has the right to request a change but it may be a risky move for him. Plenty of shitty backup QBs in the league that can fill that role and STFU.
jbergey22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2012, 01:48 PM   #1167
Coffee Warlord
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coffee Warlord View Post
In non tebow news, bears sign Michael Bush.

And....Forte is apparently pissed off about it.

Forte feels 'disrespected' by Bush signing - chicagotribune.com

WTF do you expect? You've already threatened to hold out, you haven't been able to work out a long term deal....and you're surprised your team goes after another RB to protect themselves?
Coffee Warlord is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2012, 01:48 PM   #1168
Ksyrup

Not to mention, there aren't many teams going with just one guy these days.
Old 03-22-2012, 01:56 PM   #1169
Honolulu_Blue
Hockey Boy

I like Michael Bush. With all the uncertainties surrounding the Lions RB position, I think he would have looked good in Honolulu Blue and Silver.
Steve Yzerman: 1,755 points in 1,514 regular season games. 185 points in 196 postseason games. A First-Team All-Star, Conn Smythe Trophy winner, Selke Trophy winner, Masterton Trophy winner, member of the Hockey Hall of Fame, Olympic gold medallist, and a three-time Stanley Cup Champion. Longest serving captain of one team in the history of the NHL (19 seasons).
Honolulu_Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2012, 01:57 PM   #1170
stevew
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbergey22 View Post
I do mostly agree with this. A player like him should just be happy a team is willing to pay him. I suppose he has the right to request a change but it may be a risky move for him. Plenty of shitty backup QBs in the league that can fill that role and STFU.

To be fair, 1.5m is a lot of money. Stanton went from 1.5M and a roster spot to likely prorated veterans minimum signing a couple weeks into the season. He won't make their roster, but will likely be one of the final cuts.
stevew is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2012, 02:20 PM   #1171
korme
Go Reds

Broncos sign Andre Caldwell from Bengals.

Not big, not fast, but a terrific route runner. He was our Wes Welker guy before Jordan Shipley arrived in 2010... not the greatest of hands, however.

Will remember him for his game winning TD catches against Pittsburgh & Baltimore in '09, leading us to the playoffs.
korme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2012, 03:28 PM   #1172
Matthean
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coffee Warlord View Post
And....Forte is apparently pissed off about it.

Forte feels 'disrespected' by Bush signing - chicagotribune.com

WTF do you expect? You've already threatened to hold out, you haven't been able to work out a long term deal....and you're surprised your team goes after another RB to protect themselves?

And he was injured last year in a position known for guys not lasting long.
Old 03-22-2012, 03:34 PM   #1173
JPhillips
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by korme View Post
Broncos sign Andre Caldwell from Bengals.

Not big, not fast, but a terrific route runner. He was our Wes Welker guy before Jordan Shipley arrived in 2010... not the greatest of hands, however.

Will remember him for his game winning TD catches against Pittsburgh & Baltimore in '09, leading us to the playoffs.

Small, slow and with stone hands is no way to go through life.
Old 03-22-2012, 03:37 PM   #1174
Grover
Pro Starter

I am so very excited to see the Law Firm in stripes next year. I'm hoping he can help out Jerome Simpson with his legal troubles if we re-sign him.

FOFC Greatest Band Draft Runner Up
FOFC Movie Remake Draft Winner
FOFC Movie Comedy Draft Winner
Grover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2012, 03:56 PM   #1175
jbergey22
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackadar View Post
WTF are you talking about? He's not "spitting in the face" of anyone. He has every right not to sign the Franchise Tender offer, just like he has every right not to sign any contract. His leverage is that the team will suck without him. So he has every right to not sign the tender and use that leverage to get a better deal. And he WILL get a better deal.

I dont believe I ever disagreed with any of this except the spitting in the face part.

Brees was a major influence of these latest negotiations. If he thought the franchise tag was such a shitty deal for players he shouldnt have let them take it. If he ends up not getting a new deal and sitting out the season it isnt much different than saying the franchise tag sucks Im not taking it. Sorry that it was negotiated for the rest of you that wont make as much of me in your career. We will work on cutting it out of the deal next time.

Personally I think the franchise tag is terrible for players but I feel much worse for the players that werent actually involved in the latest CBA.

Last edited by jbergey22 : 03-22-2012 at 04:05 PM.
jbergey22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2012, 04:05 PM   #1176
M GO BLUE!!!
Pro Starter

I actually can dig where Stanton is coming from. He signed on, being told he was the backup. He would be backing up a QB known for having rough games and who may have been losing his team. He had a chance to go in, kick ass & show what he could do.

With trading for Tebow he could be the sharpest QB in camp & unless there were a rash of injuries he would be #3. If Sanchez implodes, he would still be behind a QB that could complete four passes a game & still have fans swooning for him.

M GO BLUE!!! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2012, 05:04 PM   #1177
Danny
Head Coach

"Sanchez was one of four quarterbacks with a lower passing grade than Tebow last season, according to Pro Football Focus. "

Just saw this and I guess he was even worse than I thought
Old 03-22-2012, 05:16 PM   #1178
mckerney
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Danny View Post
"Sanchez was one of four quarterbacks with a lower passing grade than Tebow last season, according to Pro Football Focus. "

Just saw this and I guess he was even worse than I thought

He's bad, but Pro Football Focus is also a terrible site.
mckerney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2012, 05:28 PM   #1179
Grover
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by mckerney View Post
He's bad, but Pro Football Focus is also a terrible site.

FO ranked Sanchez 28th in DVOA.

If that's a better reference point for terrible than PFF.

Old 03-22-2012, 05:48 PM   #1180
sabotai
General Manager

At least at 28th, he can try to argue that he's better than a few other starting QBs. Tebow was ranked 37th in DVOA.
sabotai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2012, 12:59 AM   #1181
fantom1979
College Benchwarmer

[quote=BlackJack;2626890]
Quote:
Originally Posted by fantom1979 View Post

You must be thinking of the Giants. Jets have a significant number of unsold seats in the new stadium. Go on their website, you can buy season tickets right now. And if you want to go back a few years, until Parcells came in to coach, they had plenty of seats available on game day. I don't know where you get your information from.

The jets franchise is a travesty. It's a mockery of a sham of a mockery of a travesty of two mockeries of a sham.

NFL on television - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Scroll down to "Teams and year of last blackout/non-sell out". The last non sellout for the Jets was in 1977, 34 years ago.

Last edited by fantom1979 : 03-23-2012 at 01:01 AM.
fantom1979 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2012, 01:03 AM   #1182
Danny
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by sabotai View Post
At least at 28th, he can try to argue that he's better than a few other starting QBs.

He must be proud to beat the likes of Gabbert, Painter, Ponder and Sexy Rexy (just guessing at some people he beat)
Old 03-23-2012, 01:14 AM   #1183
sabotai
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by Danny View Post
He must be proud to beat the likes of Gabbert, Painter, Ponder and Sexy Rexy (just guessing at some people he beat)

Everybody beat Gabbert. Even 3rd string scrubs beat Gabbert. I think was 46th out of 47 (min. 100 Pass attempts). *checks*. Yeah. The only one Gabbert beat out in DVOA was Hanie on Chicago.

And no, Sanchez was ranked 1 spot below Rex Grossman.
sabotai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2012, 04:18 AM   #1184
Grover
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by sabotai View Post
At least at 28th, he can try to argue that he's better than a few other starting QBs. Tebow was ranked 37th in DVOA.

But Tebow wills his teams to wins... or something.

Old 03-23-2012, 11:31 AM   #1185
Ksyrup

Jeff Saturday to GB.
Old 03-23-2012, 11:52 AM   #1186
Kodos
Resident Alien

Eh? Figured he'd head to Denver.
Old 03-23-2012, 12:10 PM   #1187
Kodos
Resident Alien

Broncos | Tracy Porter agrees to terms
Thu, 22 Mar 2012 19:39:17 -0700

The Denver Broncos have agreed to terms with free-agent CB Tracy Porter (Saints) on a one-year deal worth $4 million.

Read more: NFL News and Rumors - Hot off the Wire Fantasy Football News

Awesome. One of my favorite players gets out of the mess in New Orleans and joins up with Peyton Manning. Perfect!
Old 03-23-2012, 12:25 PM   #1188
Ksyrup

I hope he's not up for a suspension.
Old 03-23-2012, 12:38 PM   #1189
mckerney
Coordinator

God is furious with the Broncos.

Pat Robertson: A Manning injury would serve the Broncos right | ProFootballTalk

“I think the Denver Broncos treated him shabbily,” Robertson said, via Mediaite.com. “He won seven games, he brought them into the playoffs, for heaven sakes. I mean, they were a nothing team. He rallied them together with spectacular last-minute passes and, you know, when they beat Buffalo — I mean, Pittsburgh, excuse me — it was a tremendous victory. And you just ask yourself, OK, so Peyton Manning was a tremendous MVP quarterback, but he’s been injured. If that injury comes back, Denver will find itself without a quarterback. And in my opinion, it would serve them right.”
Old 03-23-2012, 12:39 PM   #1190
Ksyrup

he brought them into the playoffs, for heaven sakes.

And he did it quite literally, for heaven's sake.
Old 03-23-2012, 12:42 PM   #1191
spleen1015
Coordinator

Pat Robertson needs to google Marion Barber.
spleen1015 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2012, 12:45 PM   #1192
Autumn
Head Coach

Hey, let's leave their private lives out of it.
Autumn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2012, 12:56 PM   #1193
mckerney
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by spleen1015 View Post
Pat Robertson needs to google Marion Barber.

And Christian Ponder, Matt Prater, André Goodman and "2 of 8 passing" while he's at it.

Last edited by mckerney : 03-23-2012 at 12:58 PM.
Old 03-23-2012, 01:27 PM   #1194
Rizon
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by mckerney View Post
God is furious with the Broncos.

Pat Robertson: A Manning injury would serve the Broncos right | ProFootballTalk

“I think the Denver Broncos treated him shabbily,” Robertson said, via Mediaite.com. “He won seven games, he brought them into the playoffs, for heaven sakes. I mean, they were a nothing team. He rallied them together with spectacular last-minute passes and, you know, when they beat Buffalo — I mean, Pittsburgh, excuse me — it was a tremendous victory. And you just ask yourself, OK, so Peyton Manning was a tremendous MVP quarterback, but he’s been injured. If that injury comes back, Denver will find itself without a quarterback. And in my opinion, it would serve them right.”

Are you sure that's Pat Robertson? That seems rather tame for him. Must be someone else.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Suicane75 View Post
I don't think I'd stop even if I found a dick.
Rizon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2012, 02:06 PM   #1195
BlackJack
n00b

[quote=fantom1979;2627961]
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackJack View Post

NFL on television - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Scroll down to "Teams and year of last blackout/non-sell out". The last non sellout for the Jets was in 1977, 34 years ago.

The Jets eat the unsold tickets to avoid the local blackout. Not saying every game is a non-sellout, just that many games are, especially in the new stadium where tickets, not to mention psl's, are very expensive.
BlackJack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2012, 02:11 PM   #1196
Grover
Pro Starter

The Cincinnati Bengals have hired two full-time scouts.

Old 03-23-2012, 02:19 PM   #1197
Ksyrup

Tamme to Denver, 3/$9M $3.5M guaranteed.
Old 03-23-2012, 02:20 PM   #1198
Butter
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by JPhillips View Post
Small, slow and with stone hands is no way to go through life.

Thank God somebody signed him so we don't have to suffer another season of multiple dropped touchdowns.
Old 03-23-2012, 02:22 PM   #1199
stevew
Hall Of Famer

I'm wondering if they will drop the hammer on the saints defensive players this afternoon. It's almost 5 o'clock.
stevew is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2012, 02:49 PM   #1200
BillJasper
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grover View Post
The Cincinnati Bengals have hired two full-time scouts.

Fuck me! Are the end times upon us?