Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Archives > FOFC Archive
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 03-30-2007, 05:19 AM   #1151
RedKingGold
College Starter

Can someone explain to me why in every single game Oden has what looks like a blood splatter above the second O on his jersey?
RedKingGold is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2007, 09:17 AM   #1152
timmynausea
College Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedKingGold View Post
Can someone explain to me why in every single game Oden has what looks like a blood splatter above the second O on his jersey?

He cut his chin and bled onto his shirt. I believe that was against Tennessee. It left a stain, so it was still there against Memphis.
timmynausea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2007, 12:43 PM   #1153
MizzouRah
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Groundhog View Post
From the Onion:

http://www.theonion.com/content/from..._on_final_four

Greg Oden On Final Four Appearance: 'I'm Happier Than I've Been In 30 Years'

MizzouRah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2007, 07:07 PM   #1154
Groundhog
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedKingGold View Post

Because he killed a man at half time just to watch him die.
Old 03-31-2007, 05:14 PM   #1155
miami_fan
Coordinator

Early foul trouble for Oden.
"The blind soldier fought for me in this war. The least I can do now is fight for him. I have eyes. He hasn’t. I have a voice on the radio, he hasn’t. I was born a white man. And until a colored man is a full citizen, like me, I haven’t the leisure to enjoy the freedom that colored man risked his life to maintain for me. I don’t own what I have until he owns an equal share of it. Until somebody beats me and blinds me, I am in his debt."- Orson Welles August 11, 1946
miami_fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2007, 05:25 PM   #1156
st.cronin
General Manager

On pace for something like 50-30 final score.

knives out
st.cronin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2007, 05:26 PM   #1157
MrBug708
Head Coach

Oden has the basketball IQ of Kwame Brown
MrBug708 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2007, 05:27 PM   #1158
HerRealName
College Prospect

So did the refs come into the game thinking that they had to call touch fouls on the two mountains inside and let everything else go? There hasn't been a foul called except for the three soft calls on the two big guys. Weird.
HerRealName is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2007, 05:31 PM   #1159
miami_fan
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by HerRealName View Post
So did the refs come into the game thinking that they had to call touch fouls on the two mountains inside and let everything else go? There hasn't been a foul called except for the three soft calls on the two big guys. Weird.

Big guys fouling----- bad for the game

Little guys------a-okay
"The blind soldier fought for me in this war. The least I can do now is fight for him. I have eyes. He hasn’t. I have a voice on the radio, he hasn’t. I was born a white man. And until a colored man is a full citizen, like me, I haven’t the leisure to enjoy the freedom that colored man risked his life to maintain for me. I don’t own what I have until he owns an equal share of it. Until somebody beats me and blinds me, I am in his debt."- Orson Welles August 11, 1946
Old 03-31-2007, 07:30 PM   #1160
MrBug708
Head Coach

I love the Joe Crispin ad.
Old 03-31-2007, 08:04 PM   #1161
Ksyrup
This guy has posted so much, his fingers are about to fall off.

I don't watch much basketball, but the first game and beginning of this game has largely been some awful basketball. Sloppy, bad shooting, no flow. It's fan-tastic!
M's pitcher Miguel Batista: "Now, I feel like I've had everything. I've talked pitching with Sandy Koufax, had Kenny G play for me. Maybe if I could have an interview with God, then I'd be served. I'd be complete."
Ksyrup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2007, 08:10 PM   #1162
HerRealName
College Prospect

Three fouls on Afflalo already. UCLA is going to have major scoring problems from here on out. If Florida starts hitting these open three point shots, UCLA is going to get blown out.
Old 03-31-2007, 08:16 PM   #1163
miami_fan
Coordinator

These refs have gotten the word that there should be absolutely no contact in the game of basketball.
Old 03-31-2007, 08:17 PM   #1164
MizzouRah
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ksyrup View Post
I don't watch much basketball, but the first game and beginning of this game has largely been some awful basketball. Sloppy, bad shooting, no flow. It's fan-tastic!

Yeah, quite boring indeed.
MizzouRah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2007, 08:19 PM   #1165
MrBug708
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by miami_fan View Post
These refs have gotten the word that there should be absolutely no contact in the game of basketball.

This lineup has probably seen 30 minutes all year together
Old 03-31-2007, 08:21 PM   #1166
cartman
Death Herald

Location: Le stelle la notte sono grandi e luminose nel cuore profondo del Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by miami_fan View Post

If you take the strict interpretation of the rules, this is how the rules are written. About the only contact that is accounted for in the rule book is that the hand is part of the ball during a shot.
So I dig deeper but still comin' up with lint
cartman is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2007, 08:25 PM   #1167
cartman
Death Herald

Location: Le stelle la notte sono grandi e luminose nel cuore profondo del Texas
Dola,

The game is much more watchable to me without Noah on the floor. I just cannot stand him. It's irrational, but the sight of him just pisses me off to no end.
Old 03-31-2007, 08:28 PM   #1168
miami_fan
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by cartman View Post
If you take the strict interpretation of the rules, this is how the rules are written. About the only contact that is accounted for in the rule book is that the hand is part of the ball during a shot.

That is true. However, as a person who spent most of his basketball life playing in the paint, I will respectfully disagree with the notion that basketball is a non contact sport.
Old 03-31-2007, 08:29 PM   #1169
MrBug708
Head Coach

*sigh*

Effing Afflalo
Old 03-31-2007, 08:29 PM   #1170
sterlingice
Hall Of Famer

Again, I reiterate, Florida lives the most ref-charmed life.

Much like most of the tourney, Oden's going to be in foul trouble 2 minutes into the national championship game...

SI

Janos: "Only America could produce an imbecile of your caliber!"
Freakazoid: "That's because we make lots of things better than other people!"

Last edited by sterlingice : 03-31-2007 at 08:30 PM.
sterlingice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2007, 08:30 PM   #1171
adubroff
High School JV

Quote:
Dola,

The game is much more watchable to me without Noah on the floor. I just cannot stand him. It's irrational, but the sight of him just pisses me off to no end.

You know a lot of people have this feeling and I can't quite get where it comes from. He's largely a hustle/effort guy which generally is something that the public should embrace. I think it must be the hair.
adubroff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2007, 08:32 PM   #1172
miami_fan
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by adubroff View Post
You know a lot of people have this feeling and I can't quite get where it comes from. He's largely a hustle/effort guy which generally is something that the public should embrace. I think it must be the hair.

He's French
Old 03-31-2007, 08:33 PM   #1173
Noop
Bonafide Seminole Fan

This game is pure BS the refs are flat out cheating for Florida.
Old 03-31-2007, 08:34 PM   #1174
cartman
Death Herald

Quote:

He also whines like a little biatch every time a call goes against him. He wildly over-reacts to many situations. And that friggin' seizure dance he had after the SEC championship game didn't help matters either.
Old 03-31-2007, 08:50 PM   #1175
adubroff
High School JV

Quote:
He also whines like a little biatch every time a call goes against him. He wildly over-reacts to many situations. And that friggin' seizure dance he had after the SEC championship game didn't help matters either.

He is demonstrative. I just love his game, hard work and playing big in big spots excuse the screaming for me.
Old 03-31-2007, 08:55 PM   #1176
Chief Rum
Hall Of Famer

I don't have much against Noah, don't care one way or another on him. But everything I have heard about this guy was encapsulated in that push he got called for near the end of the half. His reaction, the way his face looked--this guy's the biggest crybaby I have seen since McHale, if he does this all the time. I can see why people can't stand him.

Brewer is just incredible. 6'9", incredibly athletic, great reach, shutdown defensive ability and NBA three point range. Why have we talked more about Noah and Horford than this guy when it comes to the pros? Noah is gonna get beat up in the pros and become the new Christian Laettner, while Horford is going to have to develop a much more polished offensive game to be more htna a big body off of the bench. Brewer looks like he could be a swingman stud.

Considering we pretty much had no contributions from Afflalo, the Prince, LoMata and to an extent Collison (on the offensive end), I am pretty thrilled to only be down 6 and getting all of those players back.

Collison is much faster than Humphrey and faster than Green (if not by so much). He's the one athletic mismatch we truly have. He needs to be driving inside and drawing players to him, then kicking it out to Roll (if he could finally hit a shot), Shipp and Aflallo.
Chief Rum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2007, 08:57 PM   #1177
Chief Rum
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
He is demonstrative. I just love his game, hard work and playing big in big spots excuse the screaming for me.

Nothing excuses the screaming/whining for me. There are plenty of guys with tremendous work ethic and who come up big when the games on the line who don't turn into bitches when things don't go their way.
Old 03-31-2007, 09:01 PM   #1178
cartman
Death Herald

Quote:

One person's 'demonstrative' is another person's 'drama queen'.
Old 03-31-2007, 09:03 PM   #1179
st.cronin
General Manager

I don't get the complaints about the refs. I wish the NBA was reffed this way.

knives out
Old 03-31-2007, 09:05 PM   #1180
RPI-Fan
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chief Rum View Post
I don't have much against Noah, don't care one way or another on him. But everything I have heard about this guy was encapsulated in that push he got called for near the end of the half. His reaction, the way his face looked--this guy's the biggest crybaby I have seen since McHale, if he does this all the time. I can see why people can't stand him.

Brewer is just incredible. 6'9", incredibly athletic, great reach, shutdown defensive ability and NBA three point range. Why have we talked more about Noah and Horford than this guy when it comes to the pros? Noah is gonna get beat up in the pros and become the new Christian Laettner, while Horford is going to have to develop a much more polished offensive game to be more htna a big body off of the bench. Brewer looks like he could be a swingman stud.

Considering we pretty much had no contributions from Afflalo, the Prince, LoMata and to an extent Collison (on the offensive end), I am pretty thrilled to only be down 6 and getting all of those players back.

Collison is much faster than Humphrey and faster than Green (if not by so much). He's the one athletic mismatch we truly have. He needs to be driving inside and drawing players to him, then kicking it out to Roll (if he could finally hit a shot), Shipp and Aflallo.

Brewer, to me, seems very, very lazy. I often see him plain old standing around on both ends of the floor and he is often caught flat-footed.
Old 03-31-2007, 09:07 PM   #1181
cartman
Death Herald

Quote:
Noah is gonna get beat up in the pros and become the new Christian Laettner

Wrong Dukie. I see him becoming the next Cherokee Parks.
Old 03-31-2007, 09:09 PM   #1182
st.cronin
General Manager

Oh, come on, he's a thousand times better than Cherokee Parks. I was honestly surprised Parks ever played in the NBA.

knives out
Old 03-31-2007, 09:11 PM   #1183
Chief Rum
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Wrong Dukie. I see him becoming the next Cherokee Parks.

I do think he's better than Parks, but that's a pretty good comparisaon, too. But he's just a lot more athletic than Parks.
Old 03-31-2007, 09:12 PM   #1184
Chief Rum
Hall Of Famer

If Packer and Nantz say that shot was influenced by the presence of Noah and Horford one more time, I think I might hop in my car, drive cross country and strangle them both.
Old 03-31-2007, 09:16 PM   #1185
Chief Rum
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by RPI-Fan View Post
Brewer, to me, seems very, very lazy. I often see him plain old standing around on both ends of the floor and he is often caught flat-footed.

Reminds me of Richard Jefferson at UA then, with the added bonus that he was an on-court bitch like Noah. That hasn't stopped him from becoming a terrific player (when ehalthy) for the Nets.
Old 03-31-2007, 09:20 PM   #1186
adubroff
High School JV

Quote:
Noah is gonna get beat up in the pros and become the new Christian Laettner, while Horford is going to have to develop a much more polished offensive game to be more htna a big body off of the bench. Brewer looks like he could be a swingman stud.

I don't see the comparison here. Laetner never had the athletic ability Noah has. I always look and see Marcus Camby....
Old 03-31-2007, 09:22 PM   #1187
MrBug708
Head Coach

Can't imagine Afflalo leaving after this performance...
Old 03-31-2007, 09:23 PM   #1188
st.cronin
General Manager

Quote:
I don't see the comparison here. Laetner never had the athletic ability Noah has. I always look and see Marcus Camby....

That's what I see, too.

knives out
Old 03-31-2007, 09:23 PM   #1189
HerRealName
College Prospect

It's obviously going to take Ohio State's best game of the year to beat Florida. There's just too many weapons out there for Florida.

I can't understand why Howland thought he would be able to double down low without getting killed on the outside. It was just a matter of time before one or several or all the shooters started hitting the wide open jumper.
Old 03-31-2007, 09:23 PM   #1190
Chief Rum
Hall Of Famer

Quote:

Camby? You kidding? I can see the athletic comparison, except Noah isn't as long or tall or as gifted defensively. I have doubts he will work hard enough at it like Camby does either. And though he will have a better offensive game than Camby, that's not exactly saying a lot (you and I almost have better offensive games than Camby).

I just don't see the toughness needed here to make it in the League.

Plus, Camby was much better in college than Noah is now.
Old 03-31-2007, 09:25 PM   #1191
MrBug708
Head Coach

I really really hate Howland's turnover schemes
Old 03-31-2007, 09:29 PM   #1192
Chief Rum
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
It's obviously going to take Ohio State's best game of the year to beat Florida. There's just too many weapons out there for Florida.

I can't understand why Howland thought he would be able to double down low without getting killed on the outside. It was just a matter of time before one or several or all the shooters started hitting the wide open jumper.

What choice did he have? Damned if you do, damned if you don't. The double teams have worked on some very good big men this year like the Lopez twins at Stanford, Hawes-Brockman at UW, Morris at UK, White at Indiana, and Gray at Pitt and so on. They also did wonders last year against Diogu and Powe. If you have two bad choices to choose from, choose the one that at least worked in the past.

Howland's issue right now is his strange inability to attract an athletic big man (or anyone taller than 6'10") to Westwood since he got here. I just don't understand why we can swing and miss on so many solid big men in recent years (like Thompson, Stephenson, Brockman). It's going to be a nice change having Kevin Love next year,a lthough Howland is back to losing out on big men after that. He already lost Babbitt to Ohio State.
Old 03-31-2007, 09:36 PM   #1193
HerRealName
College Prospect

Even if you want to double, you have to mix it up. You can't come and double every time or you're not even forcing the post player to make a decision. All he has to do is look for the open man. Florida is tough, there's no question about that, but if you start getting yourself into scramble situations then you're going to get burned.

By the way, I was pretty happy to see Babbitt to Ohio State. It will make up for Roe choosing UNC.
Old 03-31-2007, 09:37 PM   #1194
cartman
Death Herald

Quote:
Originally Posted by st.cronin View Post
Oh, come on, he's a thousand times better than Cherokee Parks. I was honestly surprised Parks ever played in the NBA.

Well, here are their career NCAA Stats. Pretty close, IMO.

Code:
MIN PPG FG% 3P% FT% RPG APG TPG BPG SPG Parks 26.4 12.5 55.1 33.3 75.5 6.7 0.8 1.6 1.8 0.7 Noah 21.0 10.5 45.9 50.0 58.6 6.3 1.7 1.8 1.7 0.9
Old 03-31-2007, 09:39 PM   #1195
Chief Rum
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Well, here are their career NCAA Stats. Pretty close, IMO.

Code:
MIN PPG FG% 3P% FT% RPG APG TPG BPG SPG Parks 26.4 12.5 55.1 33.3 75.5 6.7 0.8 1.6 1.8 0.7 Noah 21.0 10.5 45.9 50.0 58.6 6.3 1.7 1.8 1.7 0.9

lol..gold.
Old 03-31-2007, 09:41 PM   #1196
Young Drachma
Dark Cloud

This is such a boring tournament. Bleh. It's a sad commentary when the DII National Championship AND the Women's NIT are more entertaining than pretty much any of these men's tournament games.

Bleh.
Old 03-31-2007, 09:44 PM   #1197
Chief Rum
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Even if you want to double, you have to mix it up. You can't come and double every time or you're not even forcing the post player to make a decision. All he has to do is look for the open man. Florida is tough, there's no question about that, but if you start getting yourself into scramble situations then you're going to get burned.

By the way, I was pretty happy to see Babbitt to Ohio State. It will make up for Roe choosing UNC.

That's the thing. This isn't a normal defensive basketball team. Say what you want about their offensive issues, but UCLA has some of the best on ball defenders in the country. It's why they have been so effective defensively (most of the time). They can play that scramble game against most teams and get to their men before the swing pass results in an open shot.

But Florida is both athletic and very well coached. And that's the issue here. UCLA has finally run into a team that exceeds their athleticism and matches their coaching. And they're taller, too.

I really don't think this comes down to schemes. It's just a physical mismatch. Having seen Florida dismantle two very good UCLA teams now, I don't think there's a gameplan short of what some evil genius could come up with that would get UCLA this win, short of Florida playing completely atypical or having a horrible shooting night.
Old 03-31-2007, 09:46 PM   #1198
st.cronin
General Manager

I never would have guessed Noah's fg % was that low. I still think he'll be a good pro, though.

knives out
Old 03-31-2007, 09:46 PM   #1199
Chief Rum
Hall Of Famer

dola, I was really bummed we didn't get Babbitt, but if we recover with Gordon and also bring in Holliday, I'll be happy. Then get the Wear twins and/or Sidney in '09.
Old 03-31-2007, 09:47 PM   #1200
cartman
Death Herald

Quote:
I really don't think this comes down to schemes. It's just a physical mismatch. Having seen Florida dismantle two very good UCLA teams now, I don't think there's a gameplan short of what some evil genius could come up with that would get UCLA this win, short of Florida playing completely atypical or having a horrible shooting night.

Well, according to your legendary coach, John Wooten, you shouldn't prepare a scheme for a particular opponent. According to his philosophy, you run your plan to perfection, and make the other guy adjust.