Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Main Forums > Off Topic
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 12-05-2013, 03:29 PM   #1151
BillJasper
Pro Starter

I'm waiting til Spring. I think I'll have a better idea which console gives me more bang for my buck then. Plus, I don't want to go through another console cycle with multiple systems.
Old 12-05-2013, 04:47 PM   #1152
Mizzou B-ball fan
General Manager

Discussion on whether there's any way to right the console ship at Nintendo.....

What the Hell Is Wrong With Nintendo? | Games Blog - Yahoo Games
Mizzou B-ball fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2013, 05:17 PM   #1153
CleBrownsfan
Pro Rookie

I'm thinking about getting the fam a Wii U for x-mass. I take it you're able to play Wii games on the Wii U? Are there any MUST games (wife likes Zelda/Mario) and kids haven't really dug into Nintendo yet. I getting Mario Kart for sure but not sure what else to get. Hopefully I will find a good package deal in the next couple weeks...

FOOL-X - Cleveland Naps
FOOL - Cleveland Cyclones
SLOP - Cuyahoga Spiders
CleBrownsfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2013, 05:26 PM   #1154
mckerney
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by CleBrownsfan View Post
I'm thinking about getting the fam a Wii U for x-mass. I take it you're able to play Wii games on the Wii U? Are there any MUST games (wife likes Zelda/Mario) and kids haven't really dug into Nintendo yet. I getting Mario Kart for sure but not sure what else to get. Hopefully I will find a good package deal in the next couple weeks...

The Wii U is backwards compatible with the Wii, though I've heard it's kind of a slow process to switch over to Wii mode. There is Super Mario 3D World that just came out and a Wind Waker remake. Other than that Pikmin 3, The Wonderful 101 and Monster Hunter 3 Ultimate are probably the top Wii U titles to get. There's also Bayonetta 2 coming out next year, but that's probably won't be suited for younger children.
mckerney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2013, 05:33 PM   #1155
CleBrownsfan
Pro Rookie

Thanks - I should have mentioned my kids are 6 and 3 1/2. Anyone have any thoughts on the Infinity series?

FOOL-X - Cleveland Naps
FOOL - Cleveland Cyclones
SLOP - Cuyahoga Spiders
CleBrownsfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2013, 06:16 PM   #1156
mckerney
Coordinator

I know next to nothing about any of those sort of games so I can't help you at all there. I feel like I should add that with the Wii U you should stick to physical discs rather than downloads. Nintendo's digital policy is still a mess and everything is tied to the specific console rather than an account. Because of this people have lost games they've purchased when they've had a system die.
Old 12-05-2013, 06:43 PM   #1157
MizzouRah
Hall Of Famer

Fuck you PS4!
MizzouRah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2013, 06:49 PM   #1158
gstelmack
Pro Starter

FWIW, I considered getting a Wii U as well, if only because I understand the old Wii games upscale really well and do look nice in HD, and because my son still plays the heck out of several games on the Wii and who knows how much longer it will last...
Old 12-05-2013, 07:52 PM   #1159
SackAttack
Head Coach

Quote:

Wii U is what Wii should have been, IMO. Supports wii remote/motion gaming, but doesn't require it (thanks, Gamepad!). HD, upscales the Wii games (although those DO require the wii remote. boo!).

The new Mario is reputedly amazeballs. The 'new' Zelda is an HD remake of the GameCube's "Wind Waker." Not sure how many other games I'd call "must own" for Wii U, but there are some good games out there and deals to be had on those games.
SackAttack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2013, 07:55 PM   #1160
Atocep
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by mckerney View Post
I know next to nothing about any of those sort of games so I can't help you at all there. I feel like I should add that with the Wii U you should stick to physical discs rather than downloads. Nintendo's digital policy is still a mess and everything is tied to the specific console rather than an account. Because of this people have lost games they've purchased when they've had a system die.

Nintendo has made it out of the 80s and is now somewhere in the 90s as far as digital policy and understanding of the internet goes.
Atocep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2013, 08:54 PM   #1161
Mizzou B-ball fan
General Manager

Quote:
Thanks - I should have mentioned my kids are 6 and 3 1/2. Anyone have any thoughts on the Infinity series?

Infinity is fantastic. I have a 6 and 4 year old and they play it all the time. They love just running around in the Toy Box. The great part about that is that the 6 year old can run around attacking bad guys and leveling up while the 4 year old just like to explore the castles. If the 4 year old runs into bad guys, my older daughter runs to the rescue and knocks them out. Also, the 4 year old loves to switch out characters on the fly.

We've got around 8 characters right now. That's plenty for now.
Old 12-06-2013, 01:37 PM   #1162
dubb93
Grizzled Veteran

I'm surprised Sony didn't have the forethought to commit Gran Turismo 6 to the PS4 rather than the PS3 to counter Forza on the XBox One. I guess the thought is that by the time PS4's become common on store shelves they will have other exclusives there to sell the console. Ballsy play I guess. At the very least they could have made it multi-platform. Not sure what harm that would have done.
dubb93 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2013, 01:51 PM   #1163
mckerney
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by dubb93 View Post
I'm surprised Sony didn't have the forethought to commit Gran Turismo 6 to the PS4 rather than the PS3 to counter Forza on the XBox One. I guess the thought is that by the time PS4's become common on store shelves they will have other exclusives there to sell the console. Ballsy play I guess. At the very least they could have made it multi-platform. Not sure what harm that would have done.

If GT6 was made for the PS4 I doubt it would be out anytime soon. GT5 was supposed to be a launch title for the PS3 but wound up releasing 4 years after the console's debut.
Old 12-06-2013, 02:11 PM   #1164
Mizzou B-ball fan
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by dubb93 View Post

Polyphony CEO has already stated that they could have GT7 out by next holiday season for PS4.

DriveClub is expected in the February/March 2014 window and appears to have improved quite a bit over the last time they showed it off. I'm sure they'd rather stagger the games a bit so all of the driving games don't come out at the same time.

Gran Turismo 7 could be released in 2014 on PS4 - GameSpot
Old 12-06-2013, 02:31 PM   #1165
RainMaker
General Manager

So Forza 5 has 300 less cars available and half the tracks of Forza 4?

NEXT GEN!
RainMaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2013, 03:04 PM   #1166
Kodos
Resident Alien

Gran Turismo has always been pretty but boring. The AI cars are just out for a drive, instead of racing against you.
Old 12-06-2013, 03:12 PM   #1167
nilodor
College Benchwarmer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kodos View Post
Gran Turismo has always been pretty but boring. The AI cars are just out for a drive, instead of racing against you.
Agreed, it has always been the ultimate driving simulator, not racing sim. Probably the best racing I've found is codemasters F1 series. I've had some thrilling duels. It's been getting better to the point where you can actually set up moves. I was following Button in a Toro Rosso and was constantly looking down the inside, finally he committed over a bit on the inside I was able to dive down the outside (which became the inside on the next corner), he left me just the right amount of space and tried to fight back but I was able to maintain the position with no contact. I've really been having a lot of fun with the series.
nilodor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2013, 03:42 PM   #1168
Vince, Pt. II
Pro Starter

My roommates just got a 3DS and I'm super jealous of the new Zelda game. It's got me considering picking one up, but I've got some questions for anyone with a 3DS:

-How's the library of games? Am I going to have a good bit to choose from, or are there only select titles worth playing?

-Is staring at the 3D effects for long periods of time hard on the eyes? It was a little disorienting to me at first watching my roommates play for a few minutes, hard to imagine that an hour or two in a session wouldn't be a pain. Side note - I don't suffer vertigo or anything of that nature.

-How's the battery life? My roommates have only had it a few days, so I/they don't have much of a feel for it yet.

Last edited by Vince, Pt. II : 12-06-2013 at 03:43 PM.
Vince, Pt. II is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2013, 03:49 PM   #1169
BillJasper
Pro Starter

You can turn the 3D effect off.

I don't know much about them beyond that as my two boys each have one and I never really messed around with them.
Old 12-06-2013, 04:11 PM   #1170
mckerney
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vince, Pt. II View Post
-How's the library of games? Am I going to have a good bit to choose from, or are there only select titles worth playing?

I'm also considering getting one, mostly because it looks like there's a good library of games on the 3DS. In addition to the staple Nintendo franchises of Zelda, Mario, and Pokemon.

Fire Emblem: Awakening
Shin Megami Tensei IV
Animal Crossing: New Leaf
Etrian Odyssey IV
Pheonix Wright,
Bravely Default (coming in 2014)

If you like handheld RPGs there's a pretty good library to chose from.

EDIT: Plus it is backwards compatible with DS games (though there is graphical distortion on some games due to a higher resolution on the 3DS). Same warning on the Wii U though, there is a risk of losing any Nintendo eShop games you purchase on a 3DS if the system is lost or broken since they're tied to the specific 3DS unit rather than an account.

Last edited by mckerney : 12-06-2013 at 04:16 PM.
Old 12-06-2013, 04:37 PM   #1171
SackAttack
Head Coach

Quote:
My roommates just got a 3DS and I'm super jealous of the new Zelda game. It's got me considering picking one up, but I've got some questions for anyone with a 3DS:

-Is staring at the 3D effects for long periods of time hard on the eyes? It was a little disorienting to me at first watching my roommates play for a few minutes, hard to imagine that an hour or two in a session wouldn't be a pain. Side note - I don't suffer vertigo or anything of that nature.

-How's the battery life? My roommates have only had it a few days, so I/they don't have much of a feel for it yet.

Solid handheld. I like it. I almost never play with the 3D effects on.

I mostly fuck around with Batman, Fire Emblem, the Mario games, and assorted DS titles.
Old 12-06-2013, 05:31 PM   #1172
oykib
College Starter

Quote:

I find that the battery is incredible, especially in standby mode (I've had it sit there for a week and still have juice). I tend to get four or five hours out of it when playing unplugged.

I really like Fire Emblem. But there are fair number of solid games for the system. As far as the 3D, you can turn it off entirely if you want. It can be wearying. I have a 3DSXL, so I don't have a big problem with the missing the proper focal point. I've heard that it's an issue with the regular 3DS.
oykib is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2013, 09:36 PM   #1173
Mota
College Benchwarmer

Quote:
I'm also considering getting one, mostly because it looks like there's a good library of games on the 3DS. In addition to the staple Nintendo franchises of Zelda, Mario, and Pokemon.

Fire Emblem: Awakening
Shin Megami Tensei IV
Animal Crossing: New Leaf
Etrian Odyssey IV
Pheonix Wright,
Bravely Default (coming in 2014)

If you like handheld RPGs there's a pretty good library to chose from.

EDIT: Plus it is backwards compatible with DS games (though there is graphical distortion on some games due to a higher resolution on the 3DS). Same warning on the Wii U though, there is a risk of losing any Nintendo eShop games you purchase on a 3DS if the system is lost or broken since they're tied to the specific 3DS unit rather than an account.

Yeah I have a DSi Light and have used it for years now. My son is getting a 3DS XL for Xmas and I'm going to steal his 3DS. Pretty much for the reasons above, I wasn Shin Megami Tensei IV, Etrian Oddyssey IV and Tales of the Abyss which are all 3DS only. There's enough games built up that I figured it was time I get my own 3DS, I would probably have gotten the XL version myself if my son didn't ask for one for Xmas. I'll take his hand-me-downs instead.
Mota is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2013, 10:23 PM   #1174
sterlingice
Hall Of Famer

Quote:

Let's tackle these in order of ease

Battery life: I've played 5 hours without a recharge but I was playing without 3D and with a low level of brightness like I always do. In general, Nintendo estimates towards the conservative side and claims the 3DS XL has 3.5-5.5 hours. It's not nearly as good as the DS (which I ran for over 10 at an airport and on a plane once) but works for all but day-long marathons without charging.

The 3D can be good or can be distracting. Super Mario 3D Land makes brilliant use of it and you will want it on for the whole time playing. Pokemon barely uses it at all and I just play with the 3D slider off. And quite a few games are good and bad with it (I liked a lot of the 3D in Pilotwings, for instance, but it's not perfect and certainly an early gen game that plays more like a tech demo). On the games where it's done well (again SM3DL!), I enjoy it and it doesn't bother me at all. But, I probably play with 3D on maybe 1/4 of the time.

BTW, unless you really like the smaller size for portability or to keep the system small and weight down, go with the 3DS XL. The 3DS is not a graphics powerhouse- we're talking somewhere beyond N64 power but not Gamecube power- but things just look clearer and better on the larger screen. Spend the extra $30.

As for the library, the 3DS library is decent but still young and maturing. SM3DL is, for me, the only "must by" on the system, tho, for most people, so is Mario Kart. Pokemon, Animal Crossing, and NSMB 2 are all 5 million sellers as well. The new Zelda is highly reviewed as is the Ocarina of Time 3D remake, Fire Emblem took an evolutionary step this generation and is one of the "A" titles for the system especially if you like tactical RPGs.

Then, we start breaking it down into "what genres are you a fan of"? If you like jRPGs, it's a good system already. Other stuff, it's fairly easy to find one or two "cream of the crop" type games but there are some genres without much depth.

But, if you missed out on the DS generation, then this gets a lot easier since the 3DS is completely backwards compatible. The DS library can stand with the best all time with a lot of depth in a lot of genres (RPG, puzzle, strategy/tactics, platformers. There are also a couple of types of games that I would describe as "DS-type games" that you don't really see anywhere else. Those would include the book-like games such as Prof Layton, Phoenix Wright, and (the brilliant) 999 or touch-based puzzle games like Scribblenauts or Elite Beat Agents. The only places where it really doesn't shine are in genres that have never been great on handhelds ever (FPS, driving, sandbox, and sports- things that require either too much power and screen real estate).

That said, before jumping on the system- I'd look at what game types you prefer as there are some things that Nintendo does well and some that it doesn't. If you want a handheld that will get you good FPSs (sorry, there isn't one) or sports games (Sony's better at that), you might be out of luck.

SI

Janos: "Only America could produce an imbecile of your caliber!"
Freakazoid: "That's because we make lots of things better than other people!"

sterlingice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2013, 12:40 PM   #1175
Mizzou B-ball fan
General Manager

Pretty firm criticisms coming from Michael Pachter at a recent summit in San Fran.

Pachter: "I don't know why Iwata is still employed" | GamesIndustry International
Old 12-07-2013, 02:03 PM   #1176
RainMaker
General Manager

Does either new console have the ESPN app? I know it's worthless on the last gen stuff but wondering if either as it and if it's still a hunk of shit?
RainMaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2013, 05:17 PM   #1177
sterlingice
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mizzou B-ball fan View Post
Pretty firm criticisms coming from Michael Pachter at a recent summit in San Fran.

Pachter: "I don't know why Iwata is still employed" | GamesIndustry International

You mean this Michael Pachter?

Does Michael Pachter Know What He's Talking About? A Look at Industry Analyst Michael Pachter's Track Record

I don't get why analysts have such bad track records with the gaming industry. Are consumer electronics that hard to peg, particularly when there's a "tipping point" for popularity for a lot of them where if you can get a certain level of mainstream buy-in, another level of sales kicks in.

Yes, Nintendo struggling. Yes, WiiU looks like a bust. But so did the 3DS when it came out slow so we even have a recent counterexample. And the Wii looked like a total disaster when it was revealed at E3 only to go on and "win" the previous generation. If the WiiU is suddenly selling with a game at $250 or separate at $220, does the picture change drastically?

SI

Janos: "Only America could produce an imbecile of your caliber!"
Freakazoid: "That's because we make lots of things better than other people!"

sterlingice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2013, 05:43 PM   #1178
Vince, Pt. II
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by sterlingice View Post
Let's tackle these in order of ease

Battery life: I've played 5 hours without a recharge but I was playing without 3D and with a low level of brightness like I always do. In general, Nintendo estimates towards the conservative side and claims the 3DS XL has 3.5-5.5 hours. It's not nearly as good as the DS (which I ran for over 10 at an airport and on a plane once) but works for all but day-long marathons without charging.

The 3D can be good or can be distracting. Super Mario 3D Land makes brilliant use of it and you will want it on for the whole time playing. Pokemon barely uses it at all and I just play with the 3D slider off. And quite a few games are good and bad with it (I liked a lot of the 3D in Pilotwings, for instance, but it's not perfect and certainly an early gen game that plays more like a tech demo). On the games where it's done well (again SM3DL!), I enjoy it and it doesn't bother me at all. But, I probably play with 3D on maybe 1/4 of the time.

BTW, unless you really like the smaller size for portability or to keep the system small and weight down, go with the 3DS XL. The 3DS is not a graphics powerhouse- we're talking somewhere beyond N64 power but not Gamecube power- but things just look clearer and better on the larger screen. Spend the extra $30.

As for the library, the 3DS library is decent but still young and maturing. SM3DL is, for me, the only "must by" on the system, tho, for most people, so is Mario Kart. Pokemon, Animal Crossing, and NSMB 2 are all 5 million sellers as well. The new Zelda is highly reviewed as is the Ocarina of Time 3D remake, Fire Emblem took an evolutionary step this generation and is one of the "A" titles for the system especially if you like tactical RPGs.

Then, we start breaking it down into "what genres are you a fan of"? If you like jRPGs, it's a good system already. Other stuff, it's fairly easy to find one or two "cream of the crop" type games but there are some genres without much depth.

But, if you missed out on the DS generation, then this gets a lot easier since the 3DS is completely backwards compatible. The DS library can stand with the best all time with a lot of depth in a lot of genres (RPG, puzzle, strategy/tactics, platformers. There are also a couple of types of games that I would describe as "DS-type games" that you don't really see anywhere else. Those would include the book-like games such as Prof Layton, Phoenix Wright, and (the brilliant) 999 or touch-based puzzle games like Scribblenauts or Elite Beat Agents. The only places where it really doesn't shine are in genres that have never been great on handhelds ever (FPS, driving, sandbox, and sports- things that require either too much power and screen real estate).

That said, before jumping on the system- I'd look at what game types you prefer as there are some things that Nintendo does well and some that it doesn't. If you want a handheld that will get you good FPSs (sorry, there isn't one) or sports games (Sony's better at that), you might be out of luck.

SI

Thanks SI (and everyone else) for the great response. I'm not much of an FPS or sports gamer these days, and RPGs have always been my go-to genre. So it sounds like the 3DS (XL) is exactly what I want.
Vince, Pt. II is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2013, 08:03 PM   #1179
MizzouRah
Hall Of Famer

I just found a bag in my house with FIFA 14 for the XB1... I wasn't even really snooping!
MizzouRah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2013, 10:24 AM   #1180
Mizzou B-ball fan
General Manager

This could expedite a next-gen version of Gran Turismo.....

Gran Turismo 6 launch sales were just a fifth of GT5's • News • Eurogamer.net
Old 12-09-2013, 10:50 AM   #1181
mckerney
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by sterlingice View Post
You mean this Michael Pachter?

Does Michael Pachter Know What He's Talking About? A Look at Industry Analyst Michael Pachter's Track Record

I don't get why analysts have such bad track records with the gaming industry. Are consumer electronics that hard to peg, particularly when there's a "tipping point" for popularity for a lot of them where if you can get a certain level of mainstream buy-in, another level of sales kicks in.

Yes, Nintendo struggling. Yes, WiiU looks like a bust. But so did the 3DS when it came out slow so we even have a recent counterexample. And the Wii looked like a total disaster when it was revealed at E3 only to go on and "win" the previous generation. If the WiiU is suddenly selling with a game at $250 or separate at $220, does the picture change drastically?

SI

I think he means the same Michael Pachter that one said real time strategy games aren't popular on consoles because they're turn based and single player. Oh, and said the previous generation of consoles would be the last one (though it might be this generation now).
Old 12-09-2013, 11:43 AM   #1182
Neuqua
Pro Rookie

Best Buy has some PS4's available delivered by Christmas.

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/Sony+-+P...=1218866963585
Our Deepest fear is not that we are inadequate. Our deepest fear is that we are powerful beyond measure. It is our light, not our darkness that most frightens us. We ask ourselves, 'Who am I to be brilliant, gorgeous, talented, fabulous?' Actually, who are you not to be?
Neuqua is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2013, 02:08 PM   #1183
Mizzou B-ball fan
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neuqua View Post
Best Buy did have some PS4's available delivered by Christmas.

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/Sony+-+P...=1218866963585

Fixed. They're like TV deals. Don't blink once they get on Neogaf.
Old 12-09-2013, 02:13 PM   #1184
Mizzou B-ball fan
General Manager

dola

If you want to look for stock, best place to look is NowInStock.net Product Availability Tracker and In Stock Notification System. They have trackers that hit sites every minute to check for availability. For example, Xbox Ones are still in stock at Amazon and Wal-Mart if you want to pick one up.

Microsoft Xbox One Pre-Order & In Stock Tracker - Day One Edition Pre-orders Available - NowInStock.net

Here's the PS4 link if you want a direct link.

Sony PlayStation 4 (PS4) In Stock Tracker - NowInStock.net
Old 12-09-2013, 02:28 PM   #1185
DaddyTorgo
Hall Of Famer

Cool MBBF. Interesting site.
DaddyTorgo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2013, 03:34 PM   #1186
SackAttack
Head Coach

Quote:
This could expedite a next-gen version of Gran Turismo.....

Gran Turismo 6 launch sales were just a fifth of GT5's • News • Eurogamer.net

I was shocked as fuck when I walked into Best Buy the other day and there were copies of GT6 on the shelf. Like...why wasn't that a PS4 launch title? Just an attempt to get a 2nd GT out for PS3 the way they managed for PSX and PS2?
Old 12-09-2013, 10:52 PM   #1187
Mizzou B-ball fan
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by SackAttack View Post
I was shocked as fuck when I walked into Best Buy the other day and there were copies of GT6 on the shelf. Like...why wasn't that a PS4 launch title? Just an attempt to get a 2nd GT out for PS3 the way they managed for PSX and PS2?

I think it's another 'prologue' scenario. I think they had every intent to put together a PS3 game and then work on a full game for the PS4 using that game as a model/starting point. I think the intent all along was to give the launch window to Driveclub and then come out Fall 2014. That may still happen, but the delay of Driveclub likely pushed it back to Spring 2015.
Old 12-09-2013, 10:57 PM   #1188
SackAttack
Head Coach

if it's a "prologue," that would explain why sales sucked.
Old 12-09-2013, 11:59 PM   #1189
mckerney
Coordinator

Quote:

If GT6 were made for PS4 do you think it would have been a launch title?
Old 12-10-2013, 03:43 AM   #1190
SackAttack
Head Coach

Probably not.

But imagine if it had been.
Old 12-10-2013, 09:32 AM   #1191
Mizzou B-ball fan
General Manager

Quote:
if it's a "prologue," that would explain why sales sucked.

No, it obviously wasn't a prologue in regards to the game itself.

It didn't sell because people, especially in Europe, are focused pretty intensely on the new consoles. It's really as simple as that. I was simply speaking to a possible scenario as to why it would release on a last-gen console and wasn't a launch title. It definitely would have fared much better as a PS4 launch title.
Old 12-10-2013, 09:43 AM   #1192
Mizzou B-ball fan
General Manager

dola

This would explain why MS hasn't discussed sales figures too much of late. Really big coup for Sony if true. If we get to March and Sony still has more than 60% of market, they can start playing to the developers in regards to exclusives/exclusive content.

US PS4 November sales estimated at 1.25m units, 66% ahead of Xbox One | Games industry news | MCV

NPD will be next big indicator.

Last edited by Mizzou B-ball fan : 12-10-2013 at 09:43 AM.
Old 12-10-2013, 10:21 AM   #1193
Ryan S
Quarterback

Quote:
No, it obviously wasn't a prologue in regards to the game itself.

It didn't sell because people, especially in Europe, are focused pretty intensely on the new consoles. It's really as simple as that. I was simply speaking to a possible scenario as to why it would release on a last-gen console and wasn't a launch title. It definitely would have fared much better as a PS4 launch title.

Honestly, the reason it did not sell was because GT5 was such a disappointment. By all accounts, it sounds like GT6 may be the game GT5 should have been, but the GT5 damaged the brand.

I can't imagine too many PS4 or Xbox 1 games are being sold in the UK right now as the prices are crazy. Next gen games have a $25 markup over 360 or PS3 games.

Last edited by Ryan S : 12-10-2013 at 10:21 AM.
Ryan S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2013, 10:22 AM   #1194
Ryan S
Quarterback

Quote:
If GT6 were made for PS4 do you think it would have been a launch title?

If it was anything like Gran Turismo on the PS3, it would be a launch title showing up at some point in 2016.
Old 12-10-2013, 10:25 AM   #1195
Mizzou B-ball fan
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryan S View Post
Honestly, the reason it did not sell was because GT5 was such a disappointment. By all accounts, it sounds like GT6 may be the game GT5 should have been, but the GT5 damaged the brand.

I can't imagine too many PS4 or Xbox 1 games are being sold in the UK right now as the prices are crazy. Next gen games have a $25 markup over 360 or PS3 games.

Can you all buy from American sites or PlayAsia to circumvent that or is there no real option around it?
Old 12-10-2013, 11:10 AM   #1196
Ryan S
Quarterback

Quote:
Can you all buy from American sites or PlayAsia to circumvent that or is there no real option around it?

I suspect that we will start to see a decline in game price next year. For as long as I can remember £40 has been the price you expect to pay for a console game. Sales will collapse if they try to introduce a £55 price point.

I bought a few PS3 games from a Canadian website, but for PS4 and Xbox One I would need to do my research to make sure both machines could play import games.
Old 12-10-2013, 11:17 AM   #1197
cartman
Death Herald

Location: Le stelle la notte sono grandi e luminose nel cuore profondo del Texas
Quote:
I bought a few PS3 games from a Canadian website, but for PS4 and Xbox One I would need to do my research to make sure both machines could play import games.

It gets tricky, because while the hardware is region free, the software publishers have the option to region-lock.

edit: but so far it seems that all of the games released on both consoles are region-free.
So I dig deeper but still comin' up with lint

Last edited by cartman : 12-10-2013 at 11:20 AM.
cartman is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2013, 12:28 PM   #1198
Mizzou B-ball fan
General Manager

X1 back in stock on Amazon if anyone's looking to buy one.
Old 12-10-2013, 02:05 PM   #1199
Mizzou B-ball fan
General Manager

dola

Anyone else find it odd that Wal-Mart is still selling X1 Day One console packages? They actually sold some today, nearly two weeks after Day One.
Old 12-10-2013, 02:30 PM   #1200
Mizzou B-ball fan
General Manager

Quote:
I suspect that we will start to see a decline in game price next year. For as long as I can remember £40 has been the price you expect to pay for a console game. Sales will collapse if they try to introduce a £55 price point.

I hadn't heard much about the prices overseas, but noticed this article showing where MS actually raised digital prices after originally launching at 5 pounds less. Rumor is that retailers were complaining that digital sales at lower price could undermine their sales.

Xbox One Digital Game Prices Raised - NowGamer