Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Main Forums > Off Topic
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 04-07-2016, 05:14 AM   #1151
whomario
Pro Starter

Meanwhile, Real with a pathetic effort while Wolfsburg caught lightning in a bottle.

Tonight Dortmund-Liverpool and i am giddy
“The only people for me are the mad ones, the ones who are mad to live, mad to talk, mad to be saved, desirous of everything at the same time, the ones who never yawn or say a commonplace thing, but burn, burn, burn, like fabulous yellow roman candles exploding like spiders across the stars and in the middle you see the blue centerlight pop and everybody goes "Awww!”

Last edited by whomario : 04-07-2016 at 05:15 AM.
whomario is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2016, 08:28 AM   #1152
flere-imsaho
Coordinator

OK, I was wrong in the other thread, sovereignstar.
flere-imsaho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2016, 08:28 AM   #1153
flere-imsaho
Coordinator

Sack watch on Zidane, then?
Old 04-07-2016, 12:03 PM   #1154
whomario
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by flere-imsaho View Post

I doubt it. I have not seen a ton of game (maybe 4 both before and after the switch) of Real, but he clearly has instilled some improvements tactically and has just beaten Barcelona. He´s likely not a coaching genius yet, but has shown a willingness to do his legwork in terms of learning the game from that side by auditing elsewhere, assistant coaching and coaching the b-team (which he all did not have to, really) and has the big-name bonus (both with his players and ownership).

At the very least, he´ll get an offseason to shape the squad imo.
“The only people for me are the mad ones, the ones who are mad to live, mad to talk, mad to be saved, desirous of everything at the same time, the ones who never yawn or say a commonplace thing, but burn, burn, burn, like fabulous yellow roman candles exploding like spiders across the stars and in the middle you see the blue centerlight pop and everybody goes "Awww!”
Old 04-10-2016, 09:26 AM   #1155
Easy Mac

So Leicester. We're either getting the most improbable title winners in sports history, or the most improbable title collapse in sports history.
Easy Mac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2016, 09:27 AM   #1156
Young Drachma
Dark Cloud

Quote:
Originally Posted by Easy Mac View Post
So Leicester. We're either getting the most improbable title winners in sports history, or the most improbable title collapse in sports history.

Not really if they lose, they'll be who we thought they were. And besides, if they choke it means a Tottenham title which if not for the Leicester City story would be just as ridiculous because Spurs always find a way to choke away a title in the few chances they've had.

Plus with the win today, they're 10 points clear with a declining few games. They'd basically have to stop showing up for matches at this point. Ties would get them over the finish line, even.

Last edited by Young Drachma : 04-10-2016 at 09:28 AM.
Young Drachma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2016, 11:21 AM   #1157
The Jackal
Coordinator

Was this game really delayed because United was stuck in traffic? That's pretty amusing.
The Jackal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2016, 02:31 PM   #1158
whomario
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Jackal View Post
Was this game really delayed because United was stuck in traffic? That's pretty amusing.

Or maybe the bus driver was merely instructed by Van Gaal to drive extremely defensive.

Leicester still 7 points up, insane !

Bayern all but wrapped up the title with Dortmund only drawing at Schalke, putting Bayern up 7 points. Not that there was ever a chance of Bayern loosing 2 games anyway, but still. Dortmund basically played a complete reserve squad (only Hummels/Sokratis in, the former subbed at the half) in preperation for the Liverpool match.

Kagawa scored one of the more stunningly executed goals i have seen this year, an 18 yard chip with the GK only being like 5 yards of the line:

fine game by Pulisic as well, until he kinda ran out of steam in the 2nd half.
Old 04-10-2016, 06:47 PM   #1159
flere-imsaho
Coordinator

Quote:

Newcastle's implosion under Keegan will still be much, much worse.

Quote:
Originally Posted by whomario View Post
Or maybe the bus driver was merely instructed by Van Gaal to drive extremely defensive.

Old 04-10-2016, 10:05 PM   #1160
The Jackal
Coordinator

I will say, Fosu-Mensah getting hurt was the turning point in that match in my eyes. Yes, Spurs deserved the win on the balance of play but they just destroyed the left after he had to leave the pitch.
Old 04-10-2016, 10:06 PM   #1161
The Jackal
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by whomario View Post

Old 04-11-2016, 05:55 AM   #1162
Easy Mac

So de Jong again tries ending someone's career. I'm glad he's in the same league as so many USMNT players.

Armchair Analyst: A horror tackle casts a pall over MLS Week 6 | MLSsoccer.com
Old 04-11-2016, 08:08 AM   #1163
flere-imsaho
Coordinator

Quote:
So de Jong again tries ending someone's career. I'm glad he's in the same league as so many USMNT players.

Quote:
There's a perverse symmetry with LA announcing the signing of Nigel de Jong the same day Stuart Holden retirees. Hopefully someone can sign him to a one game contact for a game against the Galaxy so he can end de Jong's career.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sovereignstar v2 View Post
Get a fucking grip.

Quote:
De Jong is widely accepted as one of the most violent players in European football (at least at the top league levels). I don't understand how anyone can take issue with this.

Resolution quicker than I anticipated, tbh.
Old 04-11-2016, 08:16 AM   #1164
flere-imsaho
Coordinator

Oof: Darlington Nagbe cut down. Nigel de Jong gets yellow? - YouTube

I suppose if you want to be charitable you could say it was just an incredibly clumsy attempt to get possession, but given his history and the way he follows through on Nagbe's ankle, I'm not willing to be that charitable.

Still not as bad as Bosvelt on Irwin, though.
Old 04-11-2016, 12:57 PM   #1165
ISiddiqui
Hall Of Famer

It appears that Leicester cheated the Championship's FFP rules:

Leicester City and the strange finances behind their rise to the Premier League pinnacle | Football | The Guardian

Basically in response to rules put in place in the Championship to reduce debt held by clubs, Leicester, which was being sponsored by King Power, decided to use a "third party" to sell sponsorship rights which was won by... King Power! For 10mil pounds more than their original deal. Now, why is this important? Because under the Championship FFP rules, owners paying more than market value to clubs for sponsorships wouldn't be counted in calculating how much debt they had. But if a third party found a sponsor... that was seen as 'market value'.

Though, the Premier League has NO FFP rules, and therefore Leicester appear to escape sanction. And to avoid UEFA Champions League FFP rules, they can merely sell the sponsorship rights for real this time - and as Champions of the league, their fair market value is likely going to be much higher.

Of course, this is more an indictment of FFP, IMO, than Leicester, even though they did break the rules while in the Championship.
Old 04-11-2016, 02:27 PM   #1166
AlexB
Pro Starter

It's an old and ongoing story: it does sound a bit (OK, more than a bit) fishy, but it's not news. Or completed: the Football League haven't ruled one way or the other. A quick search fround this from 18 months ago
http://www.90min.com/posts/1630904-l...-over-spending

What will likely happen is that if/when we eventually get relegated, and assuming that as would appear to be the case something has happened, there will be some sort of settlement, because nothing matters until then - the EPL is a separate structure to the Football League, and much like QPR last year, it's only when we in effect have to reapply that the Football League have any leverage at all.
AlexB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2016, 02:31 PM   #1167
ISiddiqui
Hall Of Famer

Yeah, likely the Football League will have to wait for its payout, but I feel that stories like this show how silly the FFP is. If an owner is wealthy and wants to benefit their club, I feel that they should be able to do so. I understand the fear of what happened with Leeds, but in that case, crack down on debt itself - for instance, require the owner to put up the money before they spend it, rather than put the club in debt.
Old 04-11-2016, 02:35 PM   #1168
bhlloy
Coordinator

Quote:
Oof: Darlington Nagbe cut down. Nigel de Jong gets yellow? - YouTube

I suppose if you want to be charitable you could say it was just an incredibly clumsy attempt to get possession, but given his history and the way he follows through on Nagbe's ankle, I'm not willing to be that charitable.

Still not as bad as Bosvelt on Irwin, though.

Any ref who doesn't give a red for that tackle deserves to be immediately struck off. Intent or not, that's a career ender and Nagbe is lucky if he's only out a few months
bhlloy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2016, 09:06 PM   #1169
sovereignstar v2
hates iowa

Thank you Jose.
sovereignstar v2 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2016, 09:22 PM   #1170
ISiddiqui
Hall Of Famer

Quote:

Not anymore at any rate . Christiano Ronaldo may have saved his job.
Old 04-13-2016, 01:58 AM   #1171
Alf
Pro Starter

Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by ISiddiqui View Post
Not anymore at any rate . Christiano Ronaldo may have saved his job.

Zidane is also a beloved iconic former Real player. He also is very close to Florentino Perez. However, Ronaldo did a good job for Zidane yesterday, that's for sure !
Old 04-13-2016, 04:13 PM   #1172
whomario
Pro Starter

Atletico with the upset ! Suddenly this looks wide open, especially with Bayern "struggling" recently (for their standards at least).

Not sure what games i´m rooting for, maybe City-Atletico and Bayern-Real would be neat.
Old 04-13-2016, 07:16 PM   #1173
flere-imsaho
Coordinator

Quote:
OK, I was wrong in the other thread, sovereignstar.

Make that wrongX2.

Old 04-14-2016, 02:47 AM   #1174
Alf
Pro Starter

Rooting for Atletico here. They play as a team and have a great great coach.
Old 04-14-2016, 03:55 PM   #1175
MIJB#19
Coordinator

That Liverpool - Dortmund game...
MIJB#19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2016, 04:07 PM   #1176
cougarfreak
College Starter

Liverpool!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 04-15-2016, 12:33 PM   #1177
ISiddiqui
Hall Of Famer

MLS talks expansion to 28 (well, within the next 10 years - Sacramento coming much earlier than that, of course) or so.

Garber: Sacramento leads field for MLS expansion to 28 | Soccer By Ives

Quote:
Speaking in downtown Sacramento, Garber explained his vision for expansion to a large crowd of Sacramento Republic FC supporters, and even Sacramento Mayor Kevin Johnson. Republic FC could be officially announced as the next expansion team within the next year, according to the Sacramento Bee. Garber also revealed cities in the running for the remaining three spots, including San Diego, Detroit, St. Louis, San Antonio and Austin.

Quote:
MLS currently has 20 teams, but Atlanta United FC, Los Angeles FC, Minnesota United FC and a David Beckham-backed team in Miami are all set to begin play in the coming years.

I think a number of people wanted Sacramento to come in before Miami (Beckham United) because of the issues Miami had with getting stadium rights, so Sacramento being ushered is definitely a good thing.

San Antonio is fairly well placed as well, with the Scorpions (NASL) getting bought by the Spurs and turned into San Antonio FC (USL), and a new planned stadium being revealed.

That leaves: San Diego, Detroit, St. Louis, and Austin in the running for the last two spots. I heard St. Louis a LOT. MLS really wants to make that happen but they don't seem to have an ownership group in place. Austin would create too many Texas teams, IMO - and San Antonio really isn't that far away. If you add Sacramento you'd also have 3 California teams. So maybe Detroit may be a good possibility. Though I wonder why Indianapolis is not in the running... the Indy 11 have a decent ownership group and local support.
Old 04-17-2016, 08:46 AM   #1178
miami_fan
Coordinator

That was a harsh decision IMO against Vardy. I thought there was enough contact to a simple no call.
"The blind soldier fought for me in this war. The least I can do now is fight for him. I have eyes. He hasn’t. I have a voice on the radio, he hasn’t. I was born a white man. And until a colored man is a full citizen, like me, I haven’t the leisure to enjoy the freedom that colored man risked his life to maintain for me. I don’t own what I have until he owns an equal share of it. Until somebody beats me and blinds me, I am in his debt."- Orson Welles August 11, 1946
miami_fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2016, 08:53 AM   #1179
rowech
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by miami_fan View Post
That was a harsh decision IMO against Vardy. I thought there was enough contact to a simple no call.

On replays, I would agree. Live speed I would issue a card every time. It looked like a ridiculous dive.
rowech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2016, 08:56 AM   #1180
AlexB
Pro Starter

Not sure. Think a yellow was fair enough tbh. The problem was the first yellow was nowhere near a booking. Dumb of Vardy to go over like that when already booked for me.
Old 04-17-2016, 09:17 AM   #1181
miami_fan
Coordinator

Absolutely brutal!
"The blind soldier fought for me in this war. The least I can do now is fight for him. I have eyes. He hasn’t. I have a voice on the radio, he hasn’t. I was born a white man. And until a colored man is a full citizen, like me, I haven’t the leisure to enjoy the freedom that colored man risked his life to maintain for me. I don’t own what I have until he owns an equal share of it. Until somebody beats me and blinds me, I am in his debt."- Orson Welles August 11, 1946
Old 04-17-2016, 09:20 AM   #1182
miami_fan
Coordinator

I was just typing up a post saying the BPL has to figure out what sort of play they want to have in the penalty box. If it is a physical contact sport that hard men play, fine. But you can't have those three calls in the box, and be consistent.
Old 04-17-2016, 09:21 AM   #1183
AlexB
Pro Starter

Individually I don't thnk you can say any of the refs decisions were wrong, but if there was a 50:50 aspect to the call every one went against us today. IMO it was a dive and it was a penalty, but equally Huth should have had a penalty and Payet dived.

And as I type he evens it up with a soft penalty call. Not John Moss's best day.
Old 04-17-2016, 09:21 AM   #1184
miami_fan
Coordinator

Unbelievable!
Old 04-17-2016, 09:21 AM   #1185
rowech
Pro Starter

Official made a mess of the second half in pretty much every way.
Old 04-17-2016, 09:28 AM   #1186
rowech
Pro Starter

In the end, the result is probably what it should have been.
Old 04-17-2016, 11:41 AM   #1187
kingfc22
Head Coach

When will Arsenal learn that possession DOES NOT equal wins, but rather goals do.

And now we're going to have to scuffle for a CL spot the rest of the way.
Old 04-17-2016, 11:58 AM   #1188
bhlloy
Coordinator

At the risk of setting off this particular firestorm once again, when they get a manager who realizes that Giroud might be French and one of his favorites but isn't good enough to get you the goals to win a title, and actually spends some money on someone who can
Old 04-17-2016, 01:21 PM   #1189
MrBug708
Head Coach

That should keep Palace another season in the PL
MrBug708 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2016, 02:17 PM   #1190
I. J. Reilly
College Prospect

So if Liverpool win Europa, and City finish fourth but win the Champions League will the third place team be stuck with Europa League next year?

As a Spurs fan you learn to prepare yourself for this type of thing.
I. J. Reilly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2016, 02:35 PM   #1191
kingfc22
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrBug708 View Post
That should keep Palace another season in the PL

Yea. The win against Norwich last week should have all but sealed it.
Old 04-17-2016, 03:00 PM   #1192
Easy Mac

Orlando City drew a penalty 14 seconds into their game against New England.
Old 04-17-2016, 03:11 PM   #1193
whomario
Pro Starter

Pulisic scored his first goal today for Dormund. Still bummed from Thursday, so no glowing description ...
Old 04-17-2016, 03:31 PM   #1194
MrBug708
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by kingfc22 View Post
Yea. The win against Norwich last week should have all but sealed it.

Yup. Wasn't secure but likely. Today probably locks us in. Hopefully we spend money
MrBug708 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2016, 03:35 PM   #1195
bhlloy
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by I. J. Reilly View Post
So if Liverpool win Europa, and City finish fourth but win the Champions League will the third place team be stuck with Europa League next year?

As a Spurs fan you learn to prepare yourself for this type of thing.

Don't think so, pretty sure Juve losing early ensured at least 4 spots for the EPL and if Liverpool win the Europa they would get the +1 to make it 5. At least that's what the BBC was saying during the game on Thursday

Last edited by bhlloy : 04-17-2016 at 03:36 PM.
Old 04-17-2016, 03:42 PM   #1196
AlexB
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by bhlloy View Post
Don't think so, pretty sure Juve losing early ensured at least 4 spots for the EPL and if Liverpool win the Europa they would get the +1 to make it 5. At least that's what the BBC was saying during the game on Thursday

Only way fourth doesn't get in the CL is if:
  • Liverpool win the Europa League
  • and Man City win the CL
  • and both finish outside the top 4

As a Leicester fan all the talk of us being guaranteed CL football next year is still a little premature. I think us and Spurs have the same fear of collapse...
Old 04-17-2016, 03:49 PM   #1197
bhlloy
Coordinator

If Leicester or Spurs finish outside of the top 4 it's pretty much guaranteed that City would be in the top 4 though right? Is it even mathematically possible for it to go another way?

Edit - never mind, I see what you are saying. For example

Spurs
Arsenal
United
Leicester
City - winning the Champions League
Liverpool - winning the Europa League

Would mean Leicester miss out. Possible, but got to be in the order of tens of a percent chance of all that happening. I think you guys are safe.

Last edited by bhlloy : 04-17-2016 at 03:52 PM.
Old 04-17-2016, 03:51 PM   #1198
Critch
lolzcat

In the big game of the day, Rangers showed they were back from the depths and ready to dominate Scottish football again by beating Celtic in the semi-final of the Scottish Cup. 2-2 final scores with Rangers winning on penalties.

Rangers second goal, goal of the season contender:

Young Barry McKay, deemed not good enough for the Scotland team despite most of the Celtic team being regulars, including the bald carthorse McKay skips past before shooting. Maybe that's why Scotland are the only British Isles team to not qualify for the Euros.
Critch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2016, 04:54 PM   #1199
Easy Mac

New England ties the game with a PK in the 96th minute on a phantom handball, after Orlando took the lead after the ref missed an obvious handball.

The New England and Orlando managers have to be separated by police after the game.
Old 04-17-2016, 04:56 PM   #1200
MizzouCowboy
H.S. Freshman Team

Epic day of reffing today in the world of soccer.
MizzouCowboy is offline   Reply With Quote