Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Main Forums > Off Topic
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 08-01-2013, 06:39 AM   #11901
rowech
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by britrock88 View Post
Definitely. What groups/genres/eras are you working through?

I have done...

Van Halen -- never been a huge fan of but wanted to see more. Learned that I like VH until 1984.

Black Sabbath and Led Zeppelin -- always liked both but wanted more context to their songs.

Nirvana, Pearl Jam, and Alice in Chains -- while I knew all of these well at one time, they needed to be revisited.

Last edited by rowech : 08-01-2013 at 06:40 AM.
rowech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2013, 05:33 PM   #11902
terpkristin
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Izulde View Post
Been having near-constant panic attacks about death all this week and it's aggravating. I know it's a function of a variety of circumstances, but logically knowing the triggers hasn't succeeded in getting rid of them.

I know what you mean. I've been in a similar boat recently (not about death but "near constant" and "knowing hasn't gotten rid"). Hang in there. :\

/tk
terpkristin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2013, 05:52 PM   #11903
sterlingice
Hall Of Famer

I'm feeling really dumb right now but which side do you sit on in college football? I could have sworn visiting fans sit behind visitors and home fans sit behind home bench. Or are student sections not indicative of where the visitors and home team sit?

SI

Janos: "Only America could produce an imbecile of your caliber!"
Freakazoid: "That's because we make lots of things better than other people!"

sterlingice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2013, 06:01 PM   #11904
Radii
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by sterlingice View Post
I'm feeling really dumb right now but which side do you sit on in college football? I could have sworn visiting fans sit behind visitors and home fans sit behind home bench. Or are student sections not indicative of where the visitors and home team sit?

SI

School dependent I assume? Every game I attended while a student at Georgia Tech I sat behind the end zone, as did the band. There was a small section for the visitors in one end of the visitor side. I seem to remember a different section for the greek houses that was also on the visitors side (I just remember seeing them all dressed up for all the games).

So I assume general seats were on the home team side. No idea what other schools do or if there's a standard.
Radii is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2013, 06:41 PM   #11905
sterlingice
Hall Of Famer

I couldn't remember as it's been over 5 years since I went to a game at Kansas and the last few years I sat on the hill for most of the games.

This is for the Rice-Kansas game in a few weeks and I'm sure there are tons of Rice football fans on the board who would know

SI

Old 08-02-2013, 07:42 PM   #11906
cartman
Death Herald

Location: Le stelle la notte sono grandi e luminose nel cuore profondo del Texas
Rice Stadium is huge (Super Bowl VII or VIII was there). I went a few times back when Rice and UT were both in the SWC, and there were always more burnt orange than blue and white in the stands, so I couldn't really say where the true visitor's section is located.
So I dig deeper but still comin' up with lint
cartman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2013, 10:03 PM   #11907
Izulde
Head Coach

So excited to have found Obsessed with the Dress. It's even better than Amsale Girls because it's got more variety and a better twist (pageant dresses vs. wedding dresses).

Rookie Writer of the Year
Dynasty of the Year: May Our Reign Be Green and Golden (CK Dynasty)

Last edited by Izulde : 08-02-2013 at 10:03 PM.
Izulde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2013, 09:12 AM   #11908
britrock88
Pro Starter

Quote:

SI

At UNC, as an example, it's all home seating except for the end zone, where they put the students and band, and the last two sections on the side behind the visitors, which is designated visitor seating.
britrock88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2013, 09:21 AM   #11909
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

Quote:
So excited to have found Obsessed with the Dress. It's even better than Amsale Girls because it's got more variety and a better twist (pageant dresses vs. wedding dresses).

umm.....yeah.
Lathum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2013, 10:32 AM   #11910
DaddyTorgo
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lathum View Post
umm.....yeah.

Old 08-03-2013, 11:39 AM   #11911
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by rowech View Post
Van Halen -- never been a huge fan of but wanted to see more. Learned that I like VH until 1984.

You are not alone.
Old 08-03-2013, 11:37 PM   #11912
Suicane75
Coordinator

I've become sort of obsessed with the decision that the creators of Reno 911 made to gut the cast before season 6. And not only that, but to fire them by email. Really messes with my mind.
Suicane75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2013, 03:23 PM   #11913
path12
Coordinator

I found out last week that my stepson from a previous marriage is heading to Vegas to try and be a professional gambler for the upcoming football season.

He has a system.

Sigh.
Old 08-05-2013, 05:25 PM   #11914
terpkristin
Grizzled Veteran

I'm so confused about FMLA and short term disability and all that. I thought I understood it, but now work tells me I don't qualify for FMLA and I have someone more or less telling me it doesn't really matter, it won't impact my ability to take off...

Gah, guess I'll be calling HR again tomorrow.

/tk
Old 08-05-2013, 05:30 PM   #11915
cartman
Death Herald

Location: Le stelle la notte sono grandi e luminose nel cuore profondo del Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by path12 View Post
I found out last week that my stepson from a previous marriage is heading to Vegas to try and be a professional gambler for the upcoming football season.

He has a system.

Sigh.

Wait, your ex-stepson is jbmagic?
So I dig deeper but still comin' up with lint

Last edited by cartman : 08-05-2013 at 05:31 PM.
cartman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2013, 05:54 PM   #11916
TCY Junkie
College Prospect

Quote:

He has a system.

Sigh.

I had a system for 6 years, I won every year. I watched every game and later in the year instead of betting 10 dollars I'd bet 50 every now and then. Turned 200 into 4k one year. First year I won 300. Second year 400. 3 rd year 600 4 th year 800. 5 th year 4000 and 6th year 400.

5th year I was up 2300 going into the steelers colts playoff game. I bet 200 at 5 -1 ml. The next week I was over 3k. I bet few hundred on steelers ml and +3. The superbowl I didn't bet as I had the steelers at 17 to 1. It's all about money managment. I didn't want to lose the 200 I started with because I wouldn't put more in. Once I got to 2300 I wasn't going below 2k. I kinda went crazy when they played denver but I still would have had over 2k in my account.

6th year I was up 1700 and had pats for good odds to win super bowl for a few hundred. The pats had a big lead at half and I wanted to bet colts to win the game to cover my bet. They were 6-1 at pinnacle but just a few days earlier they shut down to US players. I kept hitting refresh on my new site but the bet never came up. Would have put a few hundred on them. I would have won 1800 on the game if I could have used pinnacle. I was still up 1700 after the football season. I was got frustrated that pinnacle was no longer an option and started betting college basketball trying to get some of the 1800 I should have won. I would have won 4k extra if pats won the super bowl. I was frustrated I couldn't bet pinnacle with their 5 percent juice and I just bet trying to get that money or never to bet again unless I got to bet where I want to bet. So I lost down to 400 and haven't made a sports bet in 6 years. I almost put money in to bet 3 teams at the start of the playoffs the next year, one of the the Giants who won and went off at very high odds. I don't follow sports at all like I used to though. I was helping my mom with her mom and I did this to get my mind off the family issues.

TCY Junkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2013, 08:32 PM   #11917
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

Sometimes I get disappointed in myself if I fart and it doesn't smell.
Lathum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2013, 09:42 PM   #11918
Vince, Pt. II
Pro Starter

I love the feeling of accomplishment after good hard physical labor.
Vince, Pt. II is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2013, 10:25 PM   #11919
path12
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by cartman View Post
Wait, your ex-stepson is jbmagic?

Funny you ask. My first question to him: "You don't just double up when you lose, right?"
Old 08-05-2013, 10:25 PM   #11920
path12
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by TCY Junkie View Post
I had a system for 6 years, I won every year. I watched every game and later in the year instead of betting 10 dollars I'd bet 50 every now and then. Turned 200 into 4k one year. First year I won 300. Second year 400. 3 rd year 600 4 th year 800. 5 th year 4000 and 6th year 400.

5th year I was up 2300 going into the steelers colts playoff game. I bet 200 at 5 -1 ml. The next week I was over 3k. I bet few hundred on steelers ml and +3. The superbowl I didn't bet as I had the steelers at 17 to 1. It's all about money managment. I didn't want to lose the 200 I started with because I wouldn't put more in. Once I got to 2300 I wasn't going below 2k. I kinda went crazy when they played denver but I still would have had over 2k in my account.

6th year I was up 1700 and had pats for good odds to win super bowl for a few hundred. The pats had a big lead at half and I wanted to bet colts to win the game to cover my bet. They were 6-1 at pinnacle but just a few days earlier they shut down to US players. I kept hitting refresh on my new site but the bet never came up. Would have put a few hundred on them. I would have won 1800 on the game if I could have used pinnacle. I was still up 1700 after the football season. I was got frustrated that pinnacle was no longer an option and started betting college basketball trying to get some of the 1800 I should have won. I would have won 4k extra if pats won the super bowl. I was frustrated I couldn't bet pinnacle with their 5 percent juice and I just bet trying to get that money or never to bet again unless I got to bet where I want to bet. So I lost down to 400 and haven't made a sports bet in 6 years. I almost put money in to bet 3 teams at the start of the playoffs the next year, one of the the Giants who won and went off at very high odds. I don't follow sports at all like I used to though. I was helping my mom with her mom and I did this to get my mind off the family issues.

You are one of my favorite posters here.
Old 08-06-2013, 01:14 AM   #11921
TCY Junkie
College Prospect

Quote:
You are one of my favorite posters here.

I may strike out a lot but every once in a while I get a double.

TCY Junkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2013, 11:35 AM   #11922
spleen1015
Coordinator

Travel sports for kids can get pretty fucked up. Going through some stuff with 10u/12u softball that makes you wonder what some people's motivation are. There are some crazy, out of touch people out there.
Old 08-06-2013, 01:05 PM   #11923
finketr
College Prospect

Quote:
Originally Posted by spleen1015 View Post
Travel sports for kids can get pretty fucked up. Going through some stuff with 10u/12u softball that makes you wonder what some people's motivation are. There are some crazy, out of touch people out there.

Having only a 2 year old (on August 15), what is the point to travel sports for kids that young? Seriously... What am I missing there?

Last edited by finketr : 08-06-2013 at 01:05 PM. Reason: Get back to FTB, spleen!
finketr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2013, 01:09 PM   #11924
spleen1015
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by finketr View Post
Having only a 2 year old (on August 15), what is the point to travel sports for kids that young? Seriously... What am I missing there?

I've never really thought about that question. I know I am using it to show my daughter the lesson of working hard to get positive results and things like that. She loves playing.
Old 08-06-2013, 01:13 PM   #11925
Suburban Rhythm
Pro Starter

Quote:

My eyes were recently opened to this.

My daughter is 9, has been doing dance for 3 years now. She likes it, but doesn't live and breathe it. The studio she goes to, I really don't like, but my wife does...well, she doesn't but, long convoluted back story as to why she sticks with it isn't important.

They recently offered Lucy a chance to move up from "Pre-company level 3" to "Company level 4"...which meant nothing to me. Except that she went from an "amateur" group to a "competitive" group. And from 1 night/ 90 minutes a week, to 4 nights / 4 hours a week. Lucy said she didn't want to go that often. The teacher got angry when we declined! Nuts.

With my son, he's in his first year of mite hockey. There are 60 kids, ages 6-8, who will fill out 5 teams. I have no doubt he'll, at best, be on the 4th team, if not the 5th team. All teams will travel to local events, as space allows. The top team will travel from Pittsburgh to Hershey, Wheeling, Erie for certain, plus possibly other. Again, 6-8 years old.
Suburban Rhythm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2013, 01:14 PM   #11926
Suburban Rhythm
Pro Starter

DOLA

One other thing this has opened my eyes to

Hockey moms >> Soccer moms
Old 08-06-2013, 01:29 PM   #11927
spleen1015
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suburban Rhythm View Post
DOLA

One other thing this has opened my eyes to

Hockey moms >> Soccer moms

I don't know about boys sports because I only have a daughter, but with softball, the moms are the ones that are intense, etc. Always arguing with umps, yelling at their kids when they mess up.
Old 08-06-2013, 01:42 PM   #11928
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by finketr View Post

It's where the better athletes are, it's increasingly a primary source for catching the eye of college scouts, in many sports/areas it's really the level where the athletes get serious coaching and competition.
Old 08-06-2013, 02:00 PM   #11929
Suburban Rhythm
Pro Starter

Quote:
I don't know about boys sports because I only have a daughter, but with softball, the moms are the ones that are intense, etc. Always arguing with umps, yelling at their kids when they mess up.

Oh...wasn't even referring to their behavior
Old 08-06-2013, 02:01 PM   #11930
spleen1015
Coordinator

Quote:

Gotcha. There are a lot of scary moms in softball.
Old 08-06-2013, 02:04 PM   #11931
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:

Oh good, then I interpreted your comment correctly then
Old 08-10-2013, 12:09 AM   #11932
B & B
College Benchwarmer

Location: A sports era long ago when everything didnt require a Nike logo
Stereophonics

generally underappreciated. And worth a listen. Roll off a few tunes and kick a Molson back.
Old 08-10-2013, 12:42 AM   #11933
Izulde
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by B & B View Post
Stereophonics

generally underappreciated. And worth a listen. Roll off a few tunes and kick a Molson back.

Idaho's kinda far.

Rookie Writer of the Year
Dynasty of the Year: May Our Reign Be Green and Golden (CK Dynasty)
Izulde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2013, 12:58 AM   #11934
bhlloy
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by B & B View Post
Stereophonics

heh, cool. Had no idea anyone listened to them this side of the pond. Word Gets Around would be my vote for the most underrated record of all time.
bhlloy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2013, 06:13 AM   #11935
Neon_Chaos
Pro Starter

The Philippines is one win away in the FIBA Asia Championship to booking an appearance in the FIBA World Championship.

My country is basketball-crazy, and just the thought of our national team competing against the world's best is getting everyone giddy.
Old 08-10-2013, 08:22 AM   #11936
Suicane75
Coordinator

T-Shirt Sun Tan is one of my favoritest songs ever
Suicane75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2013, 09:02 AM   #11937
Neon_Chaos
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neon_Chaos View Post
The Philippines is one win away in the FIBA Asia Championship to booking an appearance in the FIBA World Championship.

My country is basketball-crazy, and just the thought of our national team competing against the world's best is getting everyone giddy.

The Philippines is going to Spain!!!!! PUSO!!!!
Old 08-10-2013, 09:56 AM   #11938
sterlingice
Hall Of Famer

After a couple of weeks of calling with no luck, we just scored a reservation at a cabin in the bottom of the Grand Canyon for last next February. Hooray! We have made our plans to die.

SI

Old 08-10-2013, 11:04 AM   #11939
terpkristin
Grizzled Veteran

YouTube is not good for people trying to find out about a surgery. I've seen some stuff I probably didn't want to see.

/tk
Old 08-10-2013, 08:15 PM   #11940
miked
College Starter

When a woman is having a contraction, it is not acceptable to yell "crazy Ivan" each time. Even if they have seen Hunt for Red October, they are unlikely to appreciate the levity...or so I'm told.
Old 08-11-2013, 11:32 AM   #11941
sterlingice
Hall Of Famer

So, IHOP has these things that are like the love child of a cinnamon roll and a pancake. In between each pancake, there is a layer of cinnamon roll filling and on top there is cinnamon roll icing and whipped cream. They are one of the most diabetically-inducing types of awesome that I have ever had.

SI

Last edited by sterlingice : 08-11-2013 at 11:32 AM.
Old 08-11-2013, 12:07 PM   #11942
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
So, IHOP has these things that are like the love child of a cinnamon roll and a pancake. In between each pancake, there is a layer of cinnamon roll filling and on top there is cinnamon roll icing and whipped cream. They are one of the most diabetically-inducing types of awesome that I have ever had.

I've seen those, and contemplated them, but figured it would just be too overwhelming. Not so?
Old 08-11-2013, 12:26 PM   #11943
sterlingice
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonInMiddleGA View Post
I've seen those, and contemplated them, but figured it would just be too overwhelming. Not so?

They're terribly sweet to the point where I didn't want to put any syrup on them and this leaves the pancakes a little dry. But both my wife and I loved them and I have a lot higher tolerance for sweet than she does.

SI

Old 08-12-2013, 11:08 AM   #11944
britrock88
Pro Starter

Quote:
Idaho's kinda far.

This deserves love.
Old 08-12-2013, 11:10 AM   #11945
britrock88
Pro Starter

Quote:
After a couple of weeks of calling with no luck, we just scored a reservation at a cabin in the bottom of the Grand Canyon for last next February. Hooray! We have made our plans to die.

SI

Enjoy it! Did an afternoon hike of about 1000 vertical feet of the South Kaibab (sp?) Trail a couple weeks ago. We were lucky enough to have a hailstorm cool things off for us and clear out some of the people beforehand. I'd love to get to the bottom someday.
Old 08-12-2013, 01:03 PM   #11946
Matthean
Grizzled Veteran

Nephew plays ball in Las Vegas and his team got a chance to go to NY for a tournament. It is single elimination and their first game they won 16-1. First inning in game #2, and they are up 5-0.
Old 08-12-2013, 04:25 PM   #11947
britrock88
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matthean View Post
Nephew plays ball in Las Vegas and his team got a chance to go to NY for a tournament. It is single elimination and their first game they won 16-1. First inning in game #2, and they are up 5-0.

There's the crazy kids' sports travel schedule thing coming up again. Go 2,000 miles for a single-elim tourney? I'm glad your nephew's team is capable.
Old 08-12-2013, 04:32 PM   #11948
molson
General Manager

Quote:
Idaho's kinda far.

You know, there's a few people I could see traveling that far simply to kick a Molson back, but if they had a really good reason, I'd be willing to meet them halfway.
molson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2013, 09:45 PM   #11949
britrock88
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by molson View Post
You know, there's a few people I could see traveling that far simply to kick a Molson back, but if they had a really good reason, I'd be willing to meet them halfway.

Where in Idaho? There's Bozeman and Billings...
Old 08-12-2013, 09:54 PM   #11950
Matthean
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by britrock88 View Post
There's the crazy kids' sports travel schedule thing coming up again. Go 2,000 miles for a single-elim tourney? I'm glad your nephew's team is capable.

They do get 3-4 days of playing and then the tourney starts, but still, they could be done after the first game after that point.