Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Main Forums > Off Topic
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

View Poll Results: How is Obama doing? (poll started 6/6)
Great - above my expectations 18 6.87%
Good - met most of my expectations 66 25.19%
Average - so so, disappointed a little 64 24.43%
Bad - sold us out 101 38.55%
Trout - don't know yet 13 4.96%
Voters: 262. You may not vote on this poll

Old 10-23-2010, 01:38 PM   #11901
EagleFan
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by JPhillips View Post
To paraphrase, he's saying,

I'm nervous when I see people in Muslim garb because the fact is that the Muslims want to kill us all.

Wow, way to broad brush everything...
EagleFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2010, 01:39 PM   #11902
JPhillips
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by EagleFan View Post
Look at it this way...

A serial killer is terrorizing an area and the only thing that the public know about him is that he wears a red hat. You are walking at night and when you tun the corner you see someone with a red hat walking towards you. What do you feel?

It's not bigotry, it's called being freaking human and having a survival instinct. The only people to be blamed for someone feeling nervous about seeing a muslim on a plane are the radicals that caused the problem in the first place.

So Muslims are serial killers?

That's just the point, a very small percentage of Muslims have committed acts of terror in the U.S. and not a single one of them was in Muslim garb.

btw- I tend to recall that you get rather testy when people accuse all Philadelphia fans of being unruly and violent. Can you not see the parallel?
Old 10-23-2010, 01:39 PM   #11903
JPhillips
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by EagleFan View Post
Wow, way to broad brush everything...

How else do read this:

Quote:
He said the war with Muslims, America's war is just beginning, first drop of blood. I don't think there's any way to get away from these facts.
Old 10-23-2010, 01:42 PM   #11904
EagleFan
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
So Muslims are serial killers?

That's just the point, a very small percentage of Muslims have committed acts of terror in the U.S. and not a single one of them was in Muslim garb.

btw- I tend to recall that you get rather testy when people accuse all Philadelphia fans of being unruly and violent. Can you not see the parallel?

When did I say that Muslims are serial killers? Can you freaking understand anything? I presented a fucking common sense point of view and you are fucking twisting every word.
Old 10-23-2010, 01:44 PM   #11905
EagleFan
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
How else do read this:

I don't really give a shit. I just wanted to try to present a logical view to demonstrate that everything is not "racism" as people love to label things. But then you start twisting my words to say that I said "Muslims are serial killers".
Old 10-23-2010, 01:47 PM   #11906
EagleFan
Hall Of Famer

If I ever come in this thread again please have me commited. I try to present one freaking point without adding any goddamn opinion of my own and people (person) start twisting those words.

I present one logical reference to attempt to explain how someone could be concerned but that does not seem to be able to be comprehended so I give up.
Old 10-23-2010, 01:47 PM   #11907
JPhillips
Hall Of Famer

Come on.

There is nothing similar about a serial killer in a red hat and people in Muslim garb unless you're implying that the danger level of a Muslim and a serial killer are somehow equivalent.
Old 10-23-2010, 01:53 PM   #11908
JPhillips
Hall Of Famer

Williams himself should understand his bigotry given he wrote this:

Quote:
Neither black nor white store owners are in business to display the virtues of admitting people of all colors, creeds, and fashions to their stores. They are in business to make money. I would want to take precautions to prevent robbery; I would look closely at people entering the store. The race of a potential customer would be one factor among many to be considered as I girded myself against thieves.

But in Washington and almost all other major cities, blacks do patronize jewelry stores. A jeweler in Beverly Hills who closed his door to heavily bejeweled Mr. T would be foolishly closing his cash register. Unless I am a racist, race and age cannot be the sole deciding factors in calculating whom I will and will not let into my store. And I certainly would not close my door to, say, all young black men - not even to those who are casually dressed and behaving nervously. I would act cautiously in dealing with them, as I would with an antic, strangely dressed white man.

As a cabdriver I would apply the same considerations. Discrimination can be used judiciously. I would certainly exclude one class of people: those who struck me as dangerous. Nervous-looking people with bulges under their jackets would not be picked up; nor would those who looked obviously drunk or stoned. It all comes down to a subjective judgment of what dangerous people look like. This does not necessarily entail a racial judgment. Cabdrivers who don't pick up young black men as a rule are making a poorly informed decision. Racism is a lazy man's substitute for using good judgment.
Old 10-23-2010, 02:19 PM   #11909
Dutch
"Dutch"

Wow, you remembered something Juan Williams said verbatim? That's impressive, I'll give you that.
Dutch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2010, 02:47 PM   #11910
JPhillips
Hall Of Famer

I figure if you can keep track of everything the AP prints I can at least keep track of Juan Williams.
Old 10-23-2010, 02:51 PM   #11911
Greyroofoo
Pro Starter

Can't we all just get along?
Greyroofoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2010, 03:59 PM   #11912
lungs
Pro Rookie

I'm really hoping the Democrats in Milwaukee get the Cigarettes for Votes program going again. We're going to need it this year.
lungs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2010, 05:51 PM   #11913
stevew
Hall Of Famer

I really don't care about my house race. Kathy Dahlkemper is getting a ton of money it seems. Her one add comparing Mike Kelley's tax plan as "teachers pay more taxes, Ray Lewis gets a tax cut". I'm not big on her attempt at class warfare. That kelly is a bad person cause he is wealthy.

However Sestak better beat Toomey the douche. Seems to be getting tight. Toomey has to be stopped now.
stevew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2010, 06:22 PM   #11914
Dutch
"Dutch"

Quote:
Originally Posted by lungs View Post
I'm really hoping the Democrats in Milwaukee get the Cigarettes for Votes program going again. We're going to need it this year.

Don't forget the Black Panthers All Up In Your Grill program. That was highly effective as well!
Old 10-23-2010, 10:54 PM   #11915
lungs
Pro Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dutch View Post
Don't forget the Black Panthers All Up In Your Grill program. That was highly effective as well!

Voter intimidation is so Middle East. I'd hope we've moved beyond that and give cigarettes to homeless people.

In all seriousness, I did offer two of my friends a pack of cigarettes in exchange for a vote for Russ Feingold. Just doing my part.
Old 10-23-2010, 11:03 PM   #11916
RainMaker
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dutch View Post
Don't forget the mindless sheep who believe everything they are told program.
RainMaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2010, 11:13 PM   #11917
Dutch
"Dutch"

Quote:
Originally Posted by RainMaker (D) View Post
Don't forget the mindless sheep who believe everything they are told program.

That's not a party-specific program!
Old 10-23-2010, 11:18 PM   #11918
RainMaker
Hall Of Famer

Illinois has some nasty races for Governor and Senate. First time in awhile that we've had close races in such large races.

I think I'm going to go with Brady for Governor. He's still 100 years behind on a lot of social issues, but I don't think that's going to matter as Governor. Doesn't have a strong record on anything, but he's not a Democrat which is good right now. The Illinois House and Senate are extremely corrupt and tied in with Quinn and we just need someone in there who is going to fuck with them. I really don't like either candidate and have to bite my lip with the bigoted stuff from Brady, but the State can't afford more debt and Quinn just wants to borrow money and give it to everyone who will vote for him.

Kirk and Gianoulias is much tougher. Kirk is a moderate but that's mainly because he just follows whatever the political tide is. He was a Republican for the war, then he shifted to the left when the tide shifted in 2006 and 2008, now he's somehow a fiscal conservative again (which he's never been). He's got good experience which is good and bad. Gianoulias seems like a smart guy, but he's still real young. He's also in the "spend a ton of money" camp which I'm just against right now. I'm pretty split on the two and might not make up my mind till the actual election day.

Last edited by RainMaker : 10-23-2010 at 11:20 PM.
Old 10-24-2010, 10:19 AM   #11919
sterlingice
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
I figure if you can keep track of everything the AP prints I can at least keep track of Juan Williams.

*snicker*

SI

Janos: "Only America could produce an imbecile of your caliber!"
Freakazoid: "That's because we make lots of things better than other people!"

sterlingice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2010, 10:27 AM   #11920
Greyroofoo
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by RainMaker View Post
Illinois has some nasty races for Governor and Senate. First time in awhile that we've had close races in such large races.

I think I'm going to go with Brady for Governor. He's still 100 years behind on a lot of social issues, but I don't think that's going to matter as Governor. Doesn't have a strong record on anything, but he's not a Democrat which is good right now. The Illinois House and Senate are extremely corrupt and tied in with Quinn and we just need someone in there who is going to fuck with them. I really don't like either candidate and have to bite my lip with the bigoted stuff from Brady, but the State can't afford more debt and Quinn just wants to borrow money and give it to everyone who will vote for him.

Kirk and Gianoulias is much tougher. Kirk is a moderate but that's mainly because he just follows whatever the political tide is. He was a Republican for the war, then he shifted to the left when the tide shifted in 2006 and 2008, now he's somehow a fiscal conservative again (which he's never been). He's got good experience which is good and bad. Gianoulias seems like a smart guy, but he's still real young. He's also in the "spend a ton of money" camp which I'm just against right now. I'm pretty split on the two and might not make up my mind till the actual election day.

I didn't know that Illinois had elections. I thought they just had auctions.
Old 10-24-2010, 11:05 AM   #11921
Dutch
"Dutch"

Quote:

I guess a response was in order here, I've stopped using Yahoo! as my home page and just switched to the blank default Google search engine. I discovered that it was Yahoo! News and it's AP article selection that was a huge source of my angst since I originally assumed it was fair and balance. You should try switching your homepage away from juanwilliams.com and see if it curbs your angst. Good luck.
Old 10-24-2010, 11:16 AM   #11922
Glengoyne
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
But he also said that it's reasonable to be fearful of all Muslims in Muslim garb. That's the very essence of bigotry, whether he wants to admit it or not....

See, and I think it is YOU that is adding the ALL. I think it is reasonable for people to feel uncomfortable while boarding a plane and noting the presence of middle eastern men, whether they are in "garb" or not. Possibly the same for women in the ubiquitous "garb". I haven't felt that way when I have been placed in that position while flying. That said, I don't think it would be an impossibility for me given the right circumstances.

I give JW the benefit of the doubt that he doesn't ALWAYS feel this way about EVERYONE he observed in such dress, also that muslim garb wasn't the only element to his own assessment of his safety while flying. I don't equate the inclusion of racial profiling into this assessment as racism, although giving race too much weight in a flash assessment of an individual is misguided and naive.

I don't think Juan Williams is moving all that far away from his position in that statement you quoted. I just think, from his perspective that he is copping to being a little "lazy", and not a little racist. That was why he couched his comments. He was conscious of the fact that he isn't on the "high ground" here. He was admitting to something that embarrassed him.

Last edited by Glengoyne : 10-24-2010 at 11:18 AM.
Glengoyne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2010, 11:53 AM   #11923
SteveMax58
College Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glengoyne View Post
I don't think Juan Williams is moving all that far away from his position in that statement you quoted. I just think, from his perspective that he is copping to being a little "lazy", and not a little racist. That was why he couched his comments. He was conscious of the fact that he isn't on the "high ground" here. He was admitting to something that embarrassed him.

I think this is the crux of the issue & what saddens me most about dialog in this country any more. It isn't good enough to acknowledge your honest feeling while stating what you know to be the case(or the more noble reaction). Trying to reconcile those 2 things is the very heart (IMHO) of getting past racism/racial issues as a topic in this country (in a good sense).

But rather than embrace his honesty (both emotional & intellectual) he was fired. Whether he was fired as a matter of convenience due to past actions, or fired for this particular issue on its own merits, I think this type of firing does more to add divisive speech to race relations rather than create the atmosphere to better them.

But as it stands...he'll get his own books, his own show, make a lot more money now, and decide that being controversial feeds his family better than being "honest". Sure "honesty" got him to this point...but it doesn't sell very well on most topics which is what Hannity, O'Reilly, Olberman, Maddow, Coulter, Limbaugh, Moore, and many other people have found out.
SteveMax58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2010, 01:43 PM   #11924
JPhillips
Hall Of Famer

Where does he say this was something that embarrassed him? Instead of coping to a natural, if undesirable feeling he says that we have to deal with the fact that there is a war between the USA and Muslims.
Old 10-24-2010, 02:03 PM   #11925
Dutch
"Dutch"

Quote:

...but it doesn't sell very well on most topics which is what Hannity, O'Reilly, Olberman, Maddow, Coulter, Limbaugh, Moore, and many other people have found out.

Or the AP for that matter.
Old 10-24-2010, 04:12 PM   #11926
DaddyTorgo
Hall Of Famer

Pictures of Muslims Wearing Things
DaddyTorgo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2010, 04:58 PM   #11927
SteveMax58
College Starter

Quote:
Where does he say this was something that embarrassed him? Instead of coping to a natural, if undesirable feeling he says that we have to deal with the fact that there is a war between the USA and Muslims.

I don't know that he said that, maybe on a different day or show, possibly.

But if you watch the entire segment (not just the trimmed down portion) he is actually lecturing O'Reilly about not making his (i.e. O'Reilly's) blanket statements about muslims without at least qualifying it (or giving scope).
SteveMax58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2010, 06:36 AM   #11928
flounder
High School Varsity

Here's a transcript of the entire segment as well as the segment before.

Spoiler
flounder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2010, 02:39 PM   #11929
Glengoyne
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:

He starts off by saying "I'm not a racist" or words to that effect. He is on the record with books on the subject of civil rights. To think that he isn't embarrassed by his admission to straying into racial profiling(my words), seems to reflect an effort to define his position on a complex issue using only his words from a two minute sound-byte.

Also, the war between the USA and Muslims was JW quoting the Times Square Bomber, conceding a point to B.O. while going on to disagree with O'Reilly's argument.

Last edited by Glengoyne : 10-26-2010 at 03:58 PM.
Glengoyne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2010, 03:03 PM   #11930
RainMaker
Hall Of Famer

I still don't see what Juan Williams said that is so bad. Everytime I've heard him make an argument, whether I agree or not, it's well thought out and offers perspective. I thought what he was saying made sense. He was saying that despite his record on civil rights and his disgust toward racism/bigotry, even he feels uncomfortable in settings. That we have gotten so PC that we can't even discuss that.

I don't think he was fired for what he said as much as it was an excuse for NPR to fire someone who appears on hate speech shows. The sad thing is that Williams is so much better than the hacks on that network. Having him appear with a dope like Mary Katharine Ham is embarrasing to the guy.

He'd make a great host of a show but not sure there is a venue for him. Fox doesn't have the audience intelligent enough to understand him and the other networks aren't going to both with him either.
Old 10-25-2010, 10:29 PM   #11931
WSR
Mascot

Nice attempt at bipartisanship there Mr. President:

Quote:
We don't mind the Republicans joining us. They can come for the ride, but they gotta sit in back."

Obama assails GOP on clouded final campaign push - Yahoo! News
Old 10-25-2010, 11:12 PM   #11932
DaddyTorgo
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by WSR View Post

Obama assails GOP on clouded final campaign push - Yahoo! News

Why should he be bipartisan when the Republicans have not only repeatedly demonstrated that they won't be bipartisan, but have also come out and explicitly ruled out being bipartisan??
Old 10-25-2010, 11:44 PM   #11933
WSR
Mascot

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaddyTorgo View Post
Why should he be bipartisan when the Republicans have not only repeatedly demonstrated that they won't be bipartisan, but have also come out and explicitly ruled out being bipartisan??

As I see it, they are not willing to work in a bipartisan manner on his Socialist initiatives and spending our great grandchildren into debt. I know how this sounds, but I am one of the Independents that have been disillusioned by his rhetoric and empty promises.
Old 10-26-2010, 12:27 AM   #11935
RainMaker
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
As I see it, they are not willing to work in a bipartisan manner on his Socialist initiatives and spending our great grandchildren into debt. I know how this sounds, but I am one of the Independents that have been disillusioned by his rhetoric and empty promises.
Learn what Socialism is before using the word.
Old 10-26-2010, 12:41 AM   #11936
DaddyTorgo
Hall Of Famer

Quote:

Quote:

Seriously. The rhetoric you're using there marks you as one of those "independents" who isn't really independent at all.

Did you know for instance that the federal budget actually shrank by 9% this year?? (I believe this fact is correct, I only heard a snippet of it while I was working out, so don't jump down my throat if I got some piece of it wrong).

Sure we're still running massive deficits, but that's hardly the fault of Obama exclusively. The last president to present a balanced budget was a democrat, before Bush blew it out of the water with his massive deficit spending on foreign wars and tax cuts for large corporations and the top percentiles of earners.

Last edited by DaddyTorgo : 10-26-2010 at 12:42 AM.
Old 10-26-2010, 03:45 AM   #11937
Greyroofoo
Pro Starter

Quote:
Did you know for instance that the federal budget actually shrank by 9% this year?? (I believe this fact is correct, I only heard a snippet of it while I was working out, so don't jump down my throat if I got some piece of it wrong).

I would love to know what numbers you're using.
Old 10-26-2010, 05:55 AM   #11938
flounder
High School Varsity

I think he's referring to the fact that the 2009 budget deficit was $1.4 trillion which was $162 billion below White House projections. However, that $1.4 trillion was $962 billion above 2008's deficit. Source here.

Edit: Whoops. I didn't realize there were 2010 numbers out. He's right. The budget deficit did decrease to $1.3 trillion in fiscal year 2010 according to this article.

Last edited by flounder : 10-26-2010 at 05:59 AM.
flounder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2010, 06:11 AM   #11939
Greyroofoo
Pro Starter

Yeah that sounds about right, I thought he was referring to the total federal government expenditure, which has increased.
Old 10-26-2010, 06:32 AM   #11940
JPhillips
Hall Of Famer

Quote:

"The most you can expect is two years of good old-fashioned gridlock," Rob Bishop (R-Utah)

"The last Republican Congress didn't suffer from too little compromise, it suffered from too much." Mike Pence (R-Indiana)

"I don't care who, what, when or where, I'm not compromising." Ken Buck (R-Colorado)

"The single most important thing we want to achieve is for President Obama to be a one-term president." Mitch McConnell (R-Kentucky)

And that's just this week.
Old 10-26-2010, 06:33 AM   #11941
Neon_Chaos
Pro Starter

Quote:

+1
Old 10-26-2010, 06:52 AM   #11942
lungs
Pro Rookie

Quote:

The correct world he should've used was Islamomarxism.
Old 10-26-2010, 07:32 AM   #11943
Passacaglia
Coordinator

Islamo Marx? I must have missed the movies with him in it. Did he replace Chico?
Passacaglia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2010, 08:44 AM   #11944
DaddyTorgo
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by flounder View Post
I think he's referring to the fact that the 2009 budget deficit was $1.4 trillion which was $162 billion below White House projections. However, that $1.4 trillion was $962 billion above 2008's deficit. Source here.

Edit: Whoops. I didn't realize there were 2010 numbers out. He's right. The budget deficit did decrease to $1.3 trillion in fiscal year 2010 according to this article.

Thanks for finding the source flounder. It was just a soundbyte I heard while getting dressed in the locker room at the gym or something.
Old 10-26-2010, 10:05 AM   #11945
cartman
Death Herald

Location: Le stelle la notte sono grandi e luminose nel cuore profondo del Texas
Whoops. This is kinda of a big screw-up in the message. In the CA governor's race, Meg Whitman ran an ad declaring "30 years ago, anything was possible in this state". Sounds good, right? One problem with that. The governor 30 years ago was her current opponent, Jerry Brown.

Ad reminds Whitman who was governor 30 years ago – CNN Political Ticker - CNN.com Blogs
So I dig deeper but still comin' up with lint
cartman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2010, 10:23 AM   #11946
DaddyTorgo
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by cartman View Post
Whoops. This is kinda of a big screw-up in the message. In the CA governor's race, Meg Whitman ran an ad declaring "30 years ago, anything was possible in this state". Sounds good, right? One problem with that. The governor 30 years ago was her current opponent, Jerry Brown.

Ad reminds Whitman who was governor 30 years ago – CNN Political Ticker - CNN.com Blogs

Whitman's an idiot.
Old 10-26-2010, 10:59 AM   #11947
JediKooter
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Passacaglia View Post
Islamo Marx? I must have missed the movies with him in it. Did he replace Chico?

Yes, and he played a mean trombone.

Coming this summer to a movie theater near you: The Adventures of Jedikooter: Part 4
JediKooter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2010, 11:02 AM   #11948
JediKooter
Coordinator

Quote:
Whitman's an idiot.

Just be glad you don't have to listen or watch all of her dumb ass ads. She trys to equate what she did at ebay to running the state of California.

Coming this summer to a movie theater near you: The Adventures of Jedikooter: Part 4

Last edited by JediKooter : 10-26-2010 at 11:02 AM.
JediKooter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2010, 11:12 AM   #11949
DaddyTorgo
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by JediKooter View Post
Just be glad you don't have to listen or watch all of her dumb ass ads. She trys to equate what she did at ebay to running the state of California.

Oh I'm glad
Old 10-26-2010, 11:26 AM   #11950
molson
General Manager

I'm disappointed that it's looking more and more like prop 19 won't pass in California. So we won't have the Obama administration stepping up federal criminal enforcement of state-legal California marijuana. The public response to which would have been very interesting.

Last edited by molson : 10-26-2010 at 11:27 AM.
molson is offline   Reply With Quote