Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Main Forums > Off Topic
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 06-14-2013, 12:28 PM   #11601
path12
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by molson View Post
My father used to talk about how he was listening to the Indy 500 on the radio one year, probably in the 50s, when someone was killed during the race. This was a particularly traumatizing thing for him for some reason. But all I could think when I heard the story was, how the hell can you listen to a car race on the radio?

I used to love listening to Indy on the radio for some reason. I remember they would always cut to breaks with "You are listening to the Greatest Spectacle In Racing..."
Old 06-14-2013, 12:35 PM   #11602
spleen1015
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by path12 View Post
I used to love listening to Indy on the radio for some reason. I remember they would always cut to breaks with "You are listening to the Greatest Spectacle In Racing..."

If you live in Indy, you don't get the watch the race live on tv. It is blacked out. So, you listen to it on the radio, wait until it airs at 7pm that night or cheat to watch it.
Old 06-14-2013, 12:47 PM   #11603
QuikSand
lolzcat

It's interesting how one's perspective shifts as the focus drifts from "the homeless" (i.e. generic, multiple, and elsewhere) to "that homeless guy I see every day now."
QuikSand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2013, 06:30 PM   #11604
Glengoyne
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vince, Pt. II View Post
I bowled a 276 last night. 7 strikes to open, 8/ in the 8th, three more strikes and an 8 on my last ball. My previous all-time best was 246.

I was there with my good buddy, and we had a fun talk afterward about knowing what it must be like being near someone throwing a no-hitter. We had bowled 7 games prior to the big one, and I had opened three of them with a Turkey. By the fourth frame, my buddy started to get antsy, and I was doing everything I could to remain nonchalant as of the fifth. My friend, unbeknownst to me at the time, would stand back at the counters behind the lane as I got set and bowled, leaning way down and focusing. As soon as the strike hit, he'd stand up straight as if it were no big deal, give me the same high five every time and say "nice shot." But those were literally the only words he spoke to me until I missed on the 8th frame. I kept trying to be casual - "Damn, did you see that little kid? He almost picked up that 3-8-9-10!" Or "How about that single up the middle by Blanco?!!?" But he didn't know how to react, so he just nodded and threw his ball as quickly as he could, trying to get me back on the lane as fast as possible.

I was approached by some of the employees after the fact, they congratulated me, told me they were jealous and then poked fun at me for not being excited enough about it.

Even a day after its a little surreal that it happened - and it makes me really, really appreciate how tough a feat a 300 game is. I threw only two non-strike balls, and it still feels like I was miles away from a perfect game.

Congrats.

That is almost exactly how my best game ever went. I remember how my ball kept drifting progressively wider and breaking back progressively further in the 5th, 6th, and 7th. I was just afraid to change anything.

In any case, congrats again, and like you, I also had a new level of appreciation for what must go into a 300.
Glengoyne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2013, 07:12 PM   #11605
Vince, Pt. II
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glengoyne View Post
Congrats.

That is almost exactly how my best game ever went. I remember how my ball kept drifting progressively wider and breaking back progressively further in the 5th, 6th, and 7th. I was just afraid to change anything.

In any case, congrats again, and like you, I also had a new level of appreciation for what must go into a 300.

Thanks, still feeling slightly euphoric

Our lane was a little strange - there was about a five board segment on the right half of the lane where if you released it there, you weren't getting a strike no matter what you did. If you threw outside it or inside it, you were fine. I stayed outside it almost exclusively during that game.
Vince, Pt. II is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2013, 01:13 AM   #11606
DanGarion
Coordinator

I got a job! Four months and a couple hundred resumes sent out. Only two interviews during the time and offers both times. The first one wasn't great so I passed on it. Today I got an offer that matched what I used to make when I was laid off.
DanGarion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2013, 08:16 AM   #11607
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

A restaurant sending me a breakfast bar coupon is an idea on par with an insurance company sending matches & gasoline to a known arsonist.

If you see a story about a shortage of certain pork products, you'll know why.
Old 06-15-2013, 08:28 AM   #11608
Blackadar
Retired

Congrats Dan!

Blackadar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2013, 11:32 AM   #11609
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

Our neighbors kid does landscaping, finally broke down and decided to pay him $30 a week to do the lawn. First time was today, so far money well spent.
Lathum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2013, 01:56 PM   #11610
M GO BLUE!!!
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackadar View Post
Congrats Dan!

I second this!
M GO BLUE!!! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2013, 04:42 PM   #11611
Chief Rum
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by DanGarion View Post
I got a job! Four months and a couple hundred resumes sent out. Only two interviews during the time and offers both times. The first one wasn't great so I passed on it. Today I got an offer that matched what I used to make when I was laid off.

Way to go!

I would rather be wrong...Than live in the shadows of your song...My mind is open wide...And now I'm ready to start...You're not sure...You open the door...And step out into the dark...Now I'm ready.
Chief Rum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2013, 04:44 PM   #11612
Suicane75
Coordinator

Dan is mowing Lathums lawn?
Suicane75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2013, 04:56 PM   #11613
DaddyTorgo
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by DanGarion View Post
Hooray!
DaddyTorgo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2013, 05:41 PM   #11614
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suicane75 View Post
Dan is mowing Lathums lawn?

haha

Grats Dan!
Old 06-15-2013, 06:42 PM   #11615
britrock88
Pro Starter

I'm amazed at how much kids get paid for mowing the lawn. Think of what the hourly rate would be... I never earned that much at a job until I finished grad school.
britrock88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2013, 07:24 PM   #11616
jeff061
Grizzled Veteran

In 1 week a king size tempur pedic mattress with massage and ergo controls is being delivered. I may never leave my bed again.

jeff061 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2013, 07:34 PM   #11617
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

Quote:
Originally Posted by britrock88 View Post
I'm amazed at how much kids get paid for mowing the lawn. Think of what the hourly rate would be... I never earned that much at a job until I finished grad school.

Well, my neighbors are older so when I say "kid" I mean an adult. He is a professional landscaper with all the equipment, etc...
Old 06-15-2013, 09:44 PM   #11618
britrock88
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lathum View Post
Well, my neighbors are older so when I say "kid" I mean an adult. He is a professional landscaper with all the equipment, etc...

Aah, true. But I would be surprised if the "kid" next door would ask for much less than that.
Old 06-16-2013, 12:28 PM   #11619
terpkristin
Grizzled Veteran

It's been 9 months since my back surgery, yet still every "time of the month" I get the worst back spasms and cramps. This time was one of the worst since the surgery, actually went to Urgent Care yesterday and am contemplating going back..though not sure what they can do for me. Urgent Care gave me a muscle relaxer yesterday (a scrip) but looking online, at a much lower dose than is typically recommended for spasm...not sure why...

I am tired of being broken.

/tk
terpkristin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2013, 12:43 PM   #11620
britrock88
Pro Starter

Hmm... Midol, birth control, and muscle relaxants are the common treatments I've heard for heavy/painful periods. If you need more than that, I feel for you.

Last edited by britrock88 : 06-16-2013 at 12:47 PM.
Old 06-16-2013, 12:48 PM   #11621
Schmidty
Coordinator

Just be nice and don't say angry things to one another.
Old 06-16-2013, 01:39 PM   #11622
terpkristin
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by britrock88 View Post
Hmm... Midol, birth control, and muscle relaxants are the common treatments I've heard for heavy/painful periods. If you need more than that, I feel for you.

Using all 3, plus someone recommended iron.

That said, before my back surgery, they were nothing like this (and the cramping was in a different location). So this is probably something biologically pissing off my back.

/tk
Old 06-17-2013, 07:44 AM   #11623
Suicane75
Coordinator

Nothing more of a letdown in this world than gearing up for a Stooges ep only to find out it's a Joe Besser.
Old 06-17-2013, 09:30 AM   #11624
Blackadar
Retired

This is the most bizarre new hiring situation I've ever been in.

The company I joined is not a small one - 1,600 employees worldwide. We're not talking about a Mom + Pop organization. It was weird getting hired without ever meeting anyone face-to-face. But ever since they made me the offer, they have had...challenges...following up with me. It seems like I slip through the cracks too often for comfort.

So today is my first day. We're supposed to be in orientation. I guess they normally have remote orientation for some employees. I'm only 6 hours away from the corporate HQ, but they said to do it remote. OK. So they did the general HR orientation from 9-10 AM. It was fast and frankly I didn't catch much of it. They next piece is supposed to be the IT orientation. Except they didn't get my laptop out to me. So I can't attend that. It's supposed to be here tomorrow. We'll see. Then the HR benefits orientation was supposed to be from 11-12. Except the HR benefits folks have a conflict and that won't be held. The IT "makeup" session is supposed to be at 9:30 AM tomorrow, but I probably won't even have the laptop by then. The HR makeup session? No idea whatsoever.

So now on my first day it's 10:20 AM. I have no laptop. No passwords. No access to anything. No corporate email. Only part of my new hire paperwork has been completed because I have questions on the other forms. I've called and left my manager a message, but haven't received a return call. I've emailed HR about the paperwork questions, but they haven't responded yet.

This pretty well beats the time I got hired by a manager, showed up to the office and the manager had quit the company. HR knew I was coming, but I had no idea what to do and no one there to tell me how to proceed.

All I know is that I have a signed offer and I attended orientation.

Last edited by Blackadar : 06-17-2013 at 09:31 AM.
Old 06-17-2013, 09:32 AM   #11625
Coffee Warlord
Head Coach

What would you say...you do here?
Coffee Warlord is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2013, 09:47 AM   #11626
Blackadar
Retired

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coffee Warlord View Post
What would you say...you do here?

Right now? I play Project Zombiod here.

This is really how I feel right about now.

Last edited by Blackadar : 06-17-2013 at 09:47 AM.
Old 06-17-2013, 10:10 AM   #11627
terpkristin
Grizzled Veteran

Sounds a bit like my first days at my current job. My company is small/mid-size for the industry. I showed up for the first day, which was orientation and paperwork and things weren't quite ready. Two others who were supposed to start at the same time didn't show up, so it ended up one-on-one. The week I started, the company had just had a major computer virus so there were no IT resources to set me up with a computer or anything. They ended up printing out ISO procedures for me to read so I could take the "tests" when I finally had a computer. It was very odd when I started...

/tk
Old 06-17-2013, 10:28 AM   #11628
DaddyTorgo
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by terpkristin View Post

/tk

Sorry tk.
Old 06-17-2013, 10:29 AM   #11629
DaddyTorgo
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
This is the most bizarre new hiring situation I've ever been in.

Just make sure you're gettin fockin PAID.
Old 06-17-2013, 11:26 AM   #11630
Honolulu_Blue
Hockey Boy

I just started a new job 3 weeks ago at one of the largest companies in the world and my first day was surprisingly quite. No one told me when to show up or where really before I started. I just showed up, got my Id badge and sat around for a few hours, as my new boss was tied up all morning. In the 3 weeks since I've been here, I have had zero contact with anyone in HR. I have done all that stuff and training pretty much on my own. An odd bit of "on boarding" to be honest, but so far, so good.

My new job is so much better than my old one. Fewer hours, nicer boss (by far), more intresting work, better pay, a company car of my choosing and my commute is pretty much identical.
Steve Yzerman: 1,755 points in 1,514 regular season games. 185 points in 196 postseason games. A First-Team All-Star, Conn Smythe Trophy winner, Selke Trophy winner, Masterton Trophy winner, member of the Hockey Hall of Fame, Olympic gold medallist, and a three-time Stanley Cup Champion. Longest serving captain of one team in the history of the NHL (19 seasons).
Honolulu_Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2013, 11:52 AM   #11631
Suburban Rhythm
Pro Starter

Quote:
It's been 9 months since my back surgery, yet still every "time of the month" I get the worst back spasms and cramps. This time was one of the worst since the surgery, actually went to Urgent Care yesterday and am contemplating going back..though not sure what they can do for me. Urgent Care gave me a muscle relaxer yesterday (a scrip) but looking online, at a much lower dose than is typically recommended for spasm...not sure why...

/tk

Quote:
Using all 3, plus someone recommended iron.

That said, before my back surgery, they were nothing like this (and the cramping was in a different location). So this is probably something biologically pissing off my back.

/tk

I'm no doctor, nor do I play one at FOFC...

but if you got pregnant, that would relieve your symptoms!
Suburban Rhythm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2013, 04:55 PM   #11632
Glengoyne
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaddyTorgo View Post
Just make sure you're gettin fockin PAID.

Oh no. We uhh...fixed the "glitch".
Old 06-17-2013, 04:57 PM   #11633
Glengoyne
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suburban Rhythm View Post
I'm no doctor, nor do I play one at FOFC...

but if you got pregnant, that would relieve your symptoms!

Ooh I sense a dynasty post! There could be interviews and everything.

We could even do a pool to guess the eventual father. Pumpy being the odds on favorite of course.
Old 06-18-2013, 06:17 AM   #11634
terpkristin
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:

We could even do a pool to guess the eventual father. Pumpy being the odds on favorite of course.

Well if you guys want THAT to happen, you'll have to give me some tips on the relationship side. Or any locals know any 30's single guys who aren't losers?

/tk
Old 06-18-2013, 08:00 AM   #11635
Suburban Rhythm
Pro Starter

Quote:
Well if you guys want THAT to happen, you'll have to give me some tips on the relationship side. Or any locals know any 30's single guys who aren't losers?

/tk

Quote:

Check your Outlook
Suburban Rhythm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2013, 08:18 AM   #11636
Coffee Warlord
Head Coach

Quote:

/tk

Considering you hang out on a message board full of dudes, I'm honestly surprised you never wound up dating anyone from here. Prolly safe to say the 'similar interests' requirement woulda been easy to fill.

Last edited by Coffee Warlord : 06-18-2013 at 08:18 AM.
Coffee Warlord is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2013, 03:02 PM   #11637
Blackadar
Retired

Got my laptop, headset and stuff today. I have access to the corporate intranet. I can put in my time and see that I'm actually a real employee.

I feel much better now.

Old 06-18-2013, 03:23 PM   #11638
Izulde
Head Coach

Quote:
Considering you hang out on a message board full of dudes, I'm honestly surprised you never wound up dating anyone from here. Prolly safe to say the 'similar interests' requirement woulda been easy to fill.

I always wondered about this myself.

Rookie Writer of the Year
Dynasty of the Year: May Our Reign Be Green and Golden (CK Dynasty)
Izulde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2013, 03:25 PM   #11639
korme
Go Reds

Just because tk posts on here doesn't mean she has to succumb to any of you dorks in real life
korme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2013, 05:14 PM   #11640
terpkristin
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:

To be honest, I'm not the most...forward of people. I've certainly wondered if it "could work" between me and someone else here (more than 1 someone else)...but I've never had close to the courage to try to act on it, even for the people I've met in RL.

And I've never been asked, either...

/tk

Last edited by terpkristin : 06-18-2013 at 05:15 PM. Reason: edited to clarify.
Old 06-18-2013, 05:27 PM   #11641
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

Quote:
To be honest, I'm not the most...forward of people. I've certainly wondered if it "could work" between me and someone else here (more than 1 someone else)...but I've never had close to the courage to try to act on it, even for the people I've met in RL.

And I've never been asked, either...

/tk

wanna Skype?
Old 06-18-2013, 05:42 PM   #11642
Suicane75
Coordinator

Quote:
wanna Skype?

Like she doesn't already know you're in a committed relationship with Matt Harvey.
Old 06-18-2013, 05:44 PM   #11643
Izulde
Head Coach

Quote:
Like she doesn't already know you're in a committed relationship with saldana.

FTFY.

Rookie Writer of the Year
Dynasty of the Year: May Our Reign Be Green and Golden (CK Dynasty)
Izulde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2013, 06:33 PM   #11644
terpkristin
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Like she doesn't already know you're in a committed relationship with Matt Harvey.

I thought it was saldana?

/tk
Old 06-18-2013, 08:04 PM   #11645
CU Tiger
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:

/tk

How youuuu doin'?

CU Tiger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2013, 05:58 AM   #11646
Blackadar
Retired

I threw out my back again. It should be ok in a couple of days, but until then, fuuuuuuuuuuuck....

Last edited by Blackadar : 06-19-2013 at 05:58 AM.
Old 06-19-2013, 07:00 AM   #11647
terpkristin
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
I threw out my back again. It should be ok in a couple of days, but until then, fuuuuuuuuuuuck....

Join the club! Urgent Care on Saturday. ER yesterday. Going to call my surgeon again today (called him Monday) but he hasn't seemed to care that I'm in so much pain I can barely walk or sit up (or as yesterday, couldn't sit up or walk without help).

/tk
Old 06-19-2013, 07:05 AM   #11648
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

you guys are funny
Old 06-19-2013, 07:14 AM   #11649
Blackadar
Retired

Quote:
you guys are funny

We're old, not funny.

Two muscle relaxers, two pain killers and a heat patch - at least I can function and work from home now.
Old 06-19-2013, 07:24 AM   #11650
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

wasn't refrencing your back problems, I know all to well what those are like having herniated 3 disks.