Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Main Forums > Off Topic
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 07-31-2016, 07:06 PM   #1101
Thomkal
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by cuervo72 View Post
I wonder if the NFL holds any sort of grudge towards him after the whole USFL thing.

heh that explains everything.
Old 07-31-2016, 07:12 PM   #1102
RainMaker
Hall Of Famer

Yeah he destroyed their biggest competitor and stance on concussions would seem to be something the NFL would like in the oval office.
RainMaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2016, 09:08 PM   #1103
RainMaker
Hall Of Famer

Old 07-31-2016, 10:11 PM   #1104
JPhillips
Hall Of Famer

So is it insane to believe that maybe the GOP establishment plan is to get Trump elected and immediately impeach him?
Old 07-31-2016, 10:32 PM   #1105
nol
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by RainMaker View Post

Almost as though what one actually says has something to do with the quality of the speech. If the DNC in 2004 had brought out the mother of a 9/11 victim to make a "Bush did 9/11" speech, that would have been manipulative and a bad speech just as Pat Smith's was.
nol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2016, 11:06 PM   #1106
panerd
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by nol View Post
Almost as though what one actually says has something to do with the quality of the speech. If the DNC in 2004 had brought out the mother of a 9/11 victim to make a "Bush did 9/11" speech, that would have been manipulative and a bad speech just as Pat Smith's was.

Good lord the cheerleaders will defend everything about their side. I have no horse in the race between the two but the media coverage is outrageously slantled. There was actually an article from the LA Times on my newsfeed that talked about how a military coup could "plausably" happen if Trump was elected. (They actually said it was plausible!) I tape a rerun of a show every night at midnight and two weeks ago it aired basically uninterrupted. This week it wasn't even aired for one minute with nightline extra coverage every night of the Democratic convention.
panerd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2016, 12:13 AM   #1107
larrymcg421
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by panerd View Post
There was actually an article from the LA Times on my newsfeed that talked about how a military coup could "plausably" happen if Trump was elected. (They actually said it was plausible!)

Totally crazy! That's like claiming the government forced a third party candidate to drop out of the race.

Franchise Portfolio Draft Winner
Fictional Character Draft Winner
Television Family Draft Winner
Build Your Own Hollywood Studio Draft Winner
larrymcg421 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2016, 02:16 AM   #1108
SackAttack
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by JPhillips View Post
So is it insane to believe that maybe the GOP establishment plan is to get Trump elected and immediately impeach him?

That'd be a Plan B if anything.

I think their plan is to try to tear down Clinton to the point that nobody reaches 270 so the House can pick someone else.

The problem with impeachment is I can completely see the Democrats going "oh hell no, you made this bed, you lie in it." The House can vote to impeach with a simple majority.

The Senate needs a two-thirds majority to remove the impeached from office.

What would be the Democrats' incentive to cooperate with Republican panic?

"You spent a year telling the nation how we'd be much better off with Trump than with Clinton, so why are you freaking out now? You said you could control him, so go do it."
SackAttack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2016, 02:51 AM   #1109
stevew
Hall Of Famer

Quote:

I was thinking about this. Immediately is probably not on the table but it becomes more likely after the midterms are over.
stevew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2016, 06:34 AM   #1110
Ben E Lou
Morgado's Favorite Forum Fascist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ben E Lou View Post
If Trump had had the good sense to have said nothing or, if asked, "it's terrible that they lost their son. I appreciate his sacrifice and can't imagine what it's like to lose a son," the impact of Khan's speech is minimized, and pretty much forgotten in a couple of weeks or so. Instead, the longer him attacking this family stays in the news, the more potential votes he loses from undecideds and conservatives who were lukewarm about him.
...and to start the new work week, his first two tweets are about the Khans.

Last edited by Ben E Lou : 08-01-2016 at 06:36 AM.
Ben E Lou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2016, 07:36 AM   #1111
flere-imsaho
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonInMiddleGA View Post
But he can't win -- zero percent chance -- if he doesn't hold that base AND get them to show up.f.

Quote:
He can if they stay home.
(see my comment about total turnout)

As you point out, it's a very thin balancing act. To win, he has to continue to do the things that'll get his base to come out in droves, while not also going too far so as to actively push people in the "middle" towards Clinton out of fear.

A more saavy politician might be able to split the difference, but we're now seeing the trouble Trump is having with the spotlight completely focused on him.
flere-imsaho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2016, 07:44 AM   #1112
flere-imsaho
Coordinator

Quote:

I don't know about plan, but I could definitely see it being discussed.

More likely, I would think, would be key GOP congressional leaders reaching out to Trump's circle and trying to suss out who's going to be in charge of legislation, and getting them on board. Aside from stuff he actually cares about, Trump is likely to be a rubber stamp for anything that his inner circle says is OK.

Quote:
There was actually an article from the LA Times on my newsfeed that talked about how a military coup could "plausably" happen if Trump was elected.

Link? Article or editorial?

Quote:
Originally Posted by SackAttack View Post
That'd be a Plan B if anything.

I think their plan is to try to tear down Clinton to the point that nobody reaches 270 so the House can pick someone else.

The problem with impeachment is I can completely see the Democrats going "oh hell no, you made this bed, you lie in it." The House can vote to impeach with a simple majority.

Well, plus you impeach Trump, you get Pence. Arguably even worse for Democrats.

I'd be surprised if the goal is to keep everyone below 270 (actually very difficult to do unless you're going to find a way to get Johnson & Stein electoral votes, which in itself is going to be very, very hard).

It makes for an interesting question, though: would Trump or Clinton be more damaging to the GOP, long-term?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ben E Lou View Post
...and to start the new work week, his first two tweets are about the Khans.

Trump's the guy who can't stop arguing the score in a pick-up basketball game, even when the other side realized and agreed that they missed one of his points in the tally.
Old 08-01-2016, 08:19 AM   #1113
JPhillips
Hall Of Famer

So now "the media" is defined as a guy with a blog?
Old 08-01-2016, 08:23 AM   #1114
panerd
Grizzled Veteran

Reply to Flere...

It was an editorial obviously but as irresponsible as I have ever seen from a major newspaper. I guess whatever it takes to sell papers and pander? Like I said take the cheerleading out of the equation I am a Johnson supporter who is completely happy with a Clinton presidency and with some fear of a Trump presidency. It doesn't mean I need newspapers using scare tactics like vote Clinton or the military will do the job for you. It's this sort of shit that really rallies Trump supporters as well and I can't say that I blame them.

If Trump wins, a coup isn't impossible here in the U.S. - LA Times

Last edited by panerd : 08-01-2016 at 08:25 AM.
Old 08-01-2016, 08:28 AM   #1115
RainMaker
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Reply to Flere...

It was an editorial obviously but as irresponsible as I have ever seen from a major newspaper. I guess whatever it takes to sell papers and pander? Like I said take the cheerleading out of the equation I am a Johnson supporter who is completely happy with a Clinton presidency and with some fear of a Trump presidency. It doesn't mean I need newspapers using scare tactics like vote Clinton or the military will do the job for you. It's this sort of shit that really rallies Trump supporters as well and I can't say that I blame them.

If Trump wins, a coup isn't impossible here in the U.S. - LA Times

I can't figure out why print media is dying.
Old 08-01-2016, 08:45 AM   #1116
Butter
Coordinator

The headline is misleading, but I agree the headline is irresponsible.

The article really just talks about the possibility of some members of the military refusing to follow illegal orders. Not sure that's a coup.
Old 08-01-2016, 08:49 AM   #1117
cuervo72
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by flere-imsaho View Post
I'd be surprised if the goal is to keep everyone below 270 (actually very difficult to do unless you're going to find a way to get Johnson & Stein electoral votes, which in itself is going to be very, very hard).

Yeah, there's a guy from HS who posts a bunch of stuff to the effect of "hey, I don't really know but here's food for thought" (hint: he already has an opinion) and threw out one on if it was plausible for Johnson to siphon enough votes to throw it to the House. While the article he linked did have a 269/269 possibility, it was just from a wacky combo of red/blue. Don't think he quite understood how electoral votes worked, and that Johnson would actually have to get some.

Never mind that there is no "somebody else" - the House has to pick someone who actually received electoral votes.

Unless there are some faithless elector shenanigans...
Old 08-01-2016, 08:57 AM   #1118
Thomkal
Head Coach

Quote:

Ted Cruz would no doubt be behind such a stupid plan.
Old 08-01-2016, 09:07 AM   #1119
digamma
Torchbearer

Quote:
Originally Posted by albionmoonlight View Post
dola:

And though this has nothing to do with anything, I am still curious. It was a perfect prop: blue border with a picture of the Constitution on the front. A little worn and weathered like it's been read a lot.

Was it his? If it was his, was it already worn, or did they crease the page for him? If it wasn't, did they send an intern out to buy a bunch of pocket constitutions so that they could see which one looked best on camera? And was there one person in charge of bending and folding it to make it look weathered?

Khan appears to be the real deal.

Quote:
After their son’s death, Mr. Khan and his wife, who had moved to Charlottesville to be close to their other sons, had the university’s R.O.T.C. cadets over for dinner once a year. Mr. Khan would give them each a pocket-size copy of the Constitution, just like the one he brandished on Thursday, said Tim Leroux, who used to run the R.O.T.C. program.
digamma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2016, 09:14 AM   #1120
panerd
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Butter_of_69 View Post
The headline is misleading, but I agree the headline is irresponsible.

The article really just talks about the possibility of some members of the military refusing to follow illegal orders. Not sure that's a coup.

Without even talking about most of the piece here's the conclusion...

Trump is not only patently unfit to be president, but a danger to America and the world. Voters must stop him before the military has to.
Old 08-01-2016, 09:17 AM   #1121
Butter
Coordinator

I mean, I agree with the first sentence of your two sentence conclusion.
Old 08-01-2016, 09:19 AM   #1122
Thomkal
Head Coach

any new polls out since the DNC? Curious how much of a bump Clinton might have got from it.
Old 08-01-2016, 09:24 AM   #1123
cartman
Death Herald

Location: Le stelle la notte sono grandi e luminose nel cuore profondo del Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thomkal View Post
any new polls out since the DNC? Curious how much of a bump Clinton might have got from it.

I've only seen one, and it was substantial. But not sure if it was an outlier, need to wait for more to come in.
So I dig deeper but still comin' up with lint
cartman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2016, 09:34 AM   #1124
digamma
Torchbearer

Quote:
Without even talking about most of the piece here's the conclusion...

Trump is not only patently unfit to be president, but a danger to America and the world. Voters must stop him before the military has to.

I mean, it's an Op Ed by one guy. Paul Ryan has an Op Ed in the Washington Post this morning that HRC is unfit to get security briefings that would be standard up until the election.

As an aside, unfit seems to be the word of this election cycle.

But, for clarity, this is just one academic's opinion, not the LA Times editorial board.
Old 08-01-2016, 09:39 AM   #1125
JPhillips
Hall Of Famer

And Kirchick isn't your typical leftie writer. He's written for a number of very conservative publications over his career.
Old 08-01-2016, 09:49 AM   #1126
nol
Banned

Quote:
Good lord the cheerleaders will defend everything about their side. I have no horse in the race between the two but the media coverage is outrageously slantled. There was actually an article from the LA Times on my newsfeed that talked about how a military coup could "plausably" happen if Trump was elected. (They actually said it was plausible!) I tape a rerun of a show every night at midnight and two weeks ago it aired basically uninterrupted. This week it wasn't even aired for one minute with nightline extra coverage every night of the Democratic convention.

No, you have a vested interest in pretending as though you are a special snowflake for not being in lock-step agreement with every single issue on either platform put forward by the two major political parties. Everyone else is surely a mindless sheep except for you, the guy who reads and spells at roughly an 8th grade level.

Gotta hear both sides, though. Care to expose that writer's hypocrisy by explaining either what was in Khizir Khan's speech to make it bad/exploitative (in which case you somehow manage to have a much more negative view of it than Paul Ryan and John McCain did despite having 'no horse in the race') or what made Pat Smith's speech (a speech so unremarkable that I hadn't seen any right-wing people bring it up until after Khan's to attempt to make a facile comparison between the two) actually powerful or effective?

Last edited by nol : 08-01-2016 at 09:56 AM.
nol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2016, 09:56 AM   #1127
molson
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thomkal View Post

A CBS poll came out this morning with Clinton +6 in 2-person race and +5 with Johnson included. Which I think is about where were before both conventions. Except Johnson was at 10% (in the new poll),which is at the higher end of where he's polled.

Last edited by molson : 08-01-2016 at 11:06 AM.
molson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2016, 09:59 AM   #1128
panerd
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by nol View Post
No, you have a vested interest in pretending as though you are a special snowflake for not being in lock-step agreement with every single issue on either platform put forward by the two major political parties. Everyone else is surely a mindless sheep except for you, the guy who reads and spells at roughly an 8th grade level.

I don't waste my time with internet tough guys.
Old 08-01-2016, 10:04 AM   #1129
bhlloy
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by molson View Post
A CBS poll came out this morning with Clinton +6 in 2-person race and +5 with Johnson and Stein included. Which I think is about where were before both conventions. Except Johnson was at 10% ,which is at the higher end of where he's polled.

Even though I don't agree with him on too much, I'm genuinely excited about the prospect of Johnson getting over 5% to get a third party back in the national spotlight.
bhlloy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2016, 10:06 AM   #1130
ISiddiqui
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by bhlloy View Post
Even though I don't agree with him on too much, I'm genuinely excited about the prospect of Johnson getting over 5% to get a third party back in the national spotlight.

Unfortunately he really needs to get to 15% to really have a chance at the national spotlight - by getting in the debates. Then again, listening to Trump, there may not be a debate .
Old 08-01-2016, 10:11 AM   #1131
flere-imsaho
Coordinator

Quote:
There was actually an article from the LA Times

Quote:
It was an editorial obviously

Don't mis-represent an editorial as an article. Especially in the day-and-age when major newspapers will let pretty much anyone write an editorial because pageviews.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cuervo72 View Post
While the article he linked did have a 269/269 possibility, it was just from a wacky combo of red/blue. Don't think he quite understood how electoral votes worked, and that Johnson would actually have to get some.

Didn't think this was functionally possible, but it is: Electoral College Tie Combinations

Utah's the only state where I've heard of a poll that has Johnson close to Trump/Clinton. So yeah, maybe he takes that, and then the other two split enough so that nobody gets 270.
Old 08-01-2016, 10:20 AM   #1132
JPhillips
Hall Of Famer

The Libertarians have a huge ballot access problem as of today. They aren't currently on the ballot in states that account for almost 200 electoral votes. The map on their site doesn't make it clear which states they are likely to eventually get, but as of today they're nothing more than a potential spoiler in NC, FL and a few others.

https://www.lp.org/2016-presidential-ballot-access-map
Old 08-01-2016, 10:24 AM   #1133
panerd
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Utah's the only state where I've heard of a poll that has Johnson close to Trump/Clinton. So yeah, maybe he takes that, and then the other two split enough so that nobody gets 270.

I think he polls pretty well in New Mexico and Colorado but don't know where you can find the breakdown online. I know New Mexico is where he actually pulled like 4% in 2012.
Old 08-01-2016, 10:26 AM   #1134
panerd
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
The Libertarians have a huge ballot access problem as of today. They aren't currently on the ballot in states that account for almost 200 electoral votes. The map on their site doesn't make it clear which states they are likely to eventually get, but as of today they're nothing more than a potential spoiler in NC, FL and a few others.

https://www.lp.org/2016-presidential-ballot-access-map

I get fundraising emails from them all the time worried about ballot access. I think that is just as much a fundraising thing as anything. They were on 49 in 2012 no reason to think they won't be on all of them this year.
Old 08-01-2016, 10:47 AM   #1135
digamma
Torchbearer

Quote:
Don't mis-represent an editorial as an article. Especially in the day-and-age when major newspapers will let pretty much anyone write an editorial because pageviews.

Again, this isn't an editorial. An editorial is put forth by the editorial board of the paper and is an official representation of the paper's beliefs. An Op-Ed is one person's opinion, generally an outside contributor, as was the case with this one. The Op-Ed name actually comes from "opposite of editorial" because the contributor speaks alone and not for the paper or its board.
Old 08-01-2016, 10:56 AM   #1136
flere-imsaho
Coordinator

Good point, digamma.
Old 08-01-2016, 10:59 AM   #1137
flere-imsaho
Coordinator

Quote:
I think he polls pretty well in New Mexico and Colorado but don't know where you can find the breakdown online. I know New Mexico is where he actually pulled like 4% in 2012.

Colorado: RealClearPolitics - Election 2016 - Colorado: Trump vs. Clinton vs. Johnson vs. Stein

New Mexico: RealClearPolitics - Election 2016 - New Mexico: Trump vs. Clinton vs. Johnson

Utah: RealClearPolitics - Election 2016 - Utah: Trump vs. Clinton vs. Johnson

Not a ton of data, not particularly close in any to winning, but decent double-digits.
Old 08-01-2016, 11:08 AM   #1138
stevew
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
I get fundraising emails from them all the time worried about ballot access. I think that is just as much a fundraising thing as anything. They were on 49 in 2012 no reason to think they won't be on all of them this year.

Isn't it basically impossible to get on the ballot in Oklahoma though?

Hmm, nvmd, they managed to get a zillion signatures in order to qualify.

Last edited by stevew : 08-01-2016 at 11:09 AM.
stevew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2016, 11:22 AM   #1139
flere-imsaho
Coordinator

Well: Election Update: Clinton’s Bounce Appears Bigger Than Trump’s | FiveThirtyEight
Old 08-01-2016, 11:48 AM   #1140
Kodos
Resident Alien

But I assure you that Trump's hands are bigger than Clinton's.
Old 08-01-2016, 01:40 PM   #1141
wustin
College Prospect

She should thank Obama for that big ass bounce.
wustin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2016, 01:47 PM   #1142
ISiddiqui
Hall Of Famer

#ThanksObama
Old 08-01-2016, 01:59 PM   #1143
Kodos
Resident Alien

Great. Now Obama is redistributing votes.
Old 08-01-2016, 02:00 PM   #1144
molson
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by wustin View Post
that big ass bounce.

Just wanted to pull that out and quote it for no particular reason.
molson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2016, 02:02 PM   #1145
CarterNMA
Mascot

Quote:

For the want of a hyphen...

So HRC has a big ass and Barry bounced it? Payback's a bitch, Bill. ;-)
CarterNMA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2016, 02:16 PM   #1146
whomario
Pro Starter

Quote:

and considering shes not Trump, she probably will.
“The only people for me are the mad ones, the ones who are mad to live, mad to talk, mad to be saved, desirous of everything at the same time, the ones who never yawn or say a commonplace thing, but burn, burn, burn, like fabulous yellow roman candles exploding like spiders across the stars and in the middle you see the blue centerlight pop and everybody goes "Awww!”
whomario is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2016, 02:52 PM   #1147
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by digamma View Post
The Op-Ed name actually comes from "opposite of editorial" because the contributor speaks alone and not for the paper or its board.

Umm ... I think the "opposite" in the name stemmed from it's literal position in the paper, on the page "opposite" the traditional editorial page.

The opinions are not necessarily contrarian.
Old 08-01-2016, 03:22 PM   #1148
JPhillips
Hall Of Famer

So today,

Trump has decided no more interviews with CNN because they are unfair

Trump called a press conference to complain about a fire marshal

Scottie Neil Hughes said Trump's sacrifice was working so hard he blew two marriages

and the best

Trump surrogates are now saying Captain Khan was a Muslim Brotherhood agent and was killed before he could hurt American troops
Old 08-01-2016, 03:39 PM   #1149
albionmoonlight
Head Coach

He also called the election rigged.

If he loses (still an if, not a when), I don't think that he will concede. I think that he will contest the legitimacy of the election.

Question will be whether the GOP leaders agree with him on that or if they break ranks.
albionmoonlight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2016, 03:44 PM   #1150
digamma
Torchbearer

Quote:
Umm ... I think the "opposite" in the name stemmed from it's literal position in the paper, on the page "opposite" the traditional editorial page.

The opinions are not necessarily contrarian.

I've read both explanations. Of course they aren't always opposing viewpoints.