Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Main Forums > Off Topic
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 03-21-2012, 03:54 PM   #1101
Logan
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackJack View Post
For the old folks around here, reminds me a little of the Eric Lindros to Philly, NYR trade mess.

Except no one really wants Tebow.
Logan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2012, 03:54 PM   #1102
Kodos
Resident Alien

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeToxRox View Post
What will Sean Payton do without access to the teams drug room now?

Startin' to think this Payton guy may not be a high character guy...
Old 03-21-2012, 03:55 PM   #1103
BlackJack
n00b

Quote:
Originally Posted by Logan View Post
Except no one really wants Tebow.

Quite true. It's a race to the bottom.
BlackJack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2012, 03:57 PM   #1104
sabotai
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackJack View Post
For the old folks around here, reminds me a little of the Eric Lindros to Philly, NYR trade mess.

Referencing Lindros counts as "for the old folks"?!?!

sabotai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2012, 04:04 PM   #1105
BlackJack
n00b

Quote:
Originally Posted by sabotai View Post
Referencing Lindros counts as "for the old folks"?!?!

yes. myself included.
BlackJack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2012, 04:10 PM   #1106
Matthean
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Logan View Post
More info on the holdup of the deal. Apparently the Jets didn't even ask to read Tebow's contract prior to announcing the deal as being done, which contains explicit wording about an acquiring team needing to pay Denver back the $5 million in salary he was advanced.

I swore this was mentioned here when he signed his rookie contract.
Old 03-21-2012, 04:16 PM   #1107
johnnyshaka
College Benchwarmer

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbergey22 View Post
You guys are acting like 17 million dollars is just something players can just pass on like its nothing. Out of all people Brees should not be the one sitting out in protest as he was a huge part of the latest labor dispute. The players signed the deal and certain players have to suffer. Its unfortunate for Brees but it is what the players agreed to.

Giving up $17 million today for triple that tomorrow...yeah, I think players are smarter than they look. You may not like it as a fan, but it's a business and it's their job, a very, very dangerous one and they need to take care of themselves because the NFL certainly isn't going to do it.
johnnyshaka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2012, 04:17 PM   #1108
bronconick
College Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by molson View Post
It's just a theoretical question but could a player who was franchised really just hold out and become a free agent after the season? Wouldn't you have to show up at some point to get credit for a season played like Logan Mankins did last year?

Mankins needed that season to reach the # of seasons required to become a UFA. Brees is well past that.
bronconick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2012, 04:24 PM   #1109
stevew
Hall Of Famer

The Saints signed Brees to what turned into a below market deal, and didn't bother to renegotiate it. Therefore they deserve to get screwed.
stevew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2012, 04:26 PM   #1110
jbergey22
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnnyshaka View Post
Giving up $17 million today for triple that tomorrow...yeah, I think players are smarter than they look. You may not like it as a fan, but it's a business and it's their job, a very, very dangerous one and they need to take care of themselves because the NFL certainly isn't going to do it.

so you thinks its smart to give up the 17 million this year to get the 20+ million per year he will get next year in which he will more than likely get anyway?

If he plays he will earn
2012 17m
2013 20m
2014 20m
2015 20m
2016 20m
2017 20m
-------------------
6 years 117 million (w 17 m of that guaranteed and another 30-40 after 1 season)

or

2012 0m
2013 20m
2013 20m
2015 20m
2016 20m
2017 20m
--------------------
5 years 100 million(w 30-40 of that guaranteed)

Basically you would be willing to give away 17 million dollars in order to potentially guarantee yourself double that amount next year?

Seems foolish to me but I guess I dont have 100 million dollars laying around.

Last edited by jbergey22 : 03-21-2012 at 04:27 PM.
jbergey22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2012, 04:27 PM   #1111
Chief Rum
Hall Of Famer

If this Jets Tebow thing falls through, I totally blew my purchase of Sanchebow.com, which was to be the home for an online comic series about a superhero named Sanchebow with dual personalities.

I would rather be wrong...Than live in the shadows of your song...My mind is open wide...And now I'm ready to start...You're not sure...You open the door...And step out into the dark...Now I'm ready.
Chief Rum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2012, 04:36 PM   #1112
Suburban Rhythm
Pro Starter

The trade needs to happen just so more jokes like this can be made
Suburban Rhythm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2012, 04:39 PM   #1113
Grover
Pro Starter

In non-Tebow, non-Saints news...

The Bengals are close to signing BenJarvis Green-Ellis to a 3 year deal.

I am stoked about this.

FOFC Greatest Band Draft Runner Up
FOFC Movie Remake Draft Winner
FOFC Movie Comedy Draft Winner
Grover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2012, 04:42 PM   #1114
johnnyshaka
College Benchwarmer

Quote:
Basically you would be willing to give away 17 million dollars in order to potentially guarantee yourself double that amount next year?

Seems foolish to me but I guess I dont have 100 million dollars laying around.

Look at it this way, if plays this year and collects his $17M and gets hurt then he's done before being able to maximize his earning potential. He just made his last buck at 33 years old, in his prime. What a waste, for him, his team, and the fans.

If he plays this year and has an off year, which is very likely with all the crap going on, he severely diminishes his earning potential going forward because any GM who has the team's best interests at heart will be making sure Brees isn't getting paid for his amazing seasons but for the shitty one he just endured. Not the worst thing in the world, but still not maximizing his value at what should be its peak.

Brees will get more than $30-40M guaranteed, in fact, he'd be silly to sign for anything less than $50M guaranteed because he's already been hosed by his current GM and his former GM...if anybody deserves a pay day, it's Brees. And if the Saints don't want to pay, that's fine, there are plenty of suitors who are ready to pay for Brees who will have one less year of wear and tear on his body.
Old 03-21-2012, 04:43 PM   #1115
Arles
Grey Dog Software

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tigercat View Post
Saints had their share of personal fouls over the last few years, but before bountygate have you heard attention about them having a pattern of dirty hits? Or see any especially bad hit on Sportscenter? The personal fouls the Saints have had have been almost all bang bang as a result of blitzing like crazy without the athletes to pull off sacks on time. (As an example of the Saint's lack of guys who could pull off the blitz, SS Roman Harper lead the team in sacks last year, and his lack of quickness is a liability in the secondary.)

As an example of the attention a team playing real dirty football, and the press it can get, look at the Detroit Lions during the middle part of this past season.
If someone pays a guy to shoot someone else. Even if the "hitman" misses, the person paying him can still go to jail for a long time. It's not the results so much as the intent.

As Jim says, if it's documented that the Saints were going to pay someone 5-10K to injure someone else - that is a crime.
Old 03-21-2012, 04:49 PM   #1116
jbergey22
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Look at it this way, if plays this year and collects his $17M and gets hurt then he's done before being able to maximize his earning potential. He just made his last buck at 33 years old, in his prime. What a waste, for him, his team, and the fans.

If he plays this year and has an off year, which is very likely with all the crap going on, he severely diminishes his earning potential going forward because any GM who has the team's best interests at heart will be making sure Brees isn't getting paid for his amazing seasons but for the shitty one he just endured. Not the worst thing in the world, but still not maximizing his value at what should be its peak.

Brees will get more than $30-40M guaranteed, in fact, he'd be silly to sign for anything less than $50M guaranteed because he's already been hosed by his current GM and his former GM...if anybody deserves a pay day, it's Brees. And if the Saints don't want to pay, that's fine, there are plenty of suitors who are ready to pay for Brees who will have one less year of wear and tear on his body.

In the sport they play there is risk of injury. I dont see how you think its right if Drew Brees(the vice president of the NFL Players Association Executive Committee) decides to spit in the face of the many others than have had to take on this designation by not doing it.

If you really think Brees will get over 50m guaranteed you are crazy. Peyton Manning who was far closer to the Colts brass and had been with that franchise longer was only guaranteed 28m a year ago on that extension he signed. This is a player that HAD NEVER been injured or missed a game.

I am not saying whats right or wrong but Brees is really the wrong person to complain about something he signed on and agreed upon. Is he saying its ok if Cam Newton gets franchised but its not ok for the same to happen to him? If he didnt want the franchise they shouldnt have agreed to it.

Last edited by jbergey22 : 03-21-2012 at 04:55 PM.
Old 03-21-2012, 04:54 PM   #1117
sabotai
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suburban Rhythm View Post

The trade needs to happen just so more jokes like this can be made

Best. Macro. Ever.
Old 03-21-2012, 04:57 PM   #1118
miked
College Starter

But he's not signing and agreeing to anything. I fail to see how a guy not wanting to sign his tender is a spitting in the face of others who "had to" take the designation. Seems like plenty of other guys (like Mankins, Samuel I think) refused to sign. He agreed to a CBA structure, not to be lowballed and franchised by the team he saved.
Old 03-21-2012, 04:59 PM   #1119
jbergey22
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by miked View Post
But he's not signing and agreeing to anything. I fail to see how a guy not wanting to sign his tender is a spitting in the face of others who "had to" take the designation. Seems like plenty of other guys (like Mankins, Samuel I think) refused to sign. He agreed to a CBA structure, not to be lowballed and franchised by the team he saved.

He signed off on the latest CBA which allowed for this type of "lowballing" to happen.
Old 03-21-2012, 05:02 PM   #1120
DaddyTorgo
Hall Of Famer

lowballing?

LOL
Old 03-21-2012, 05:29 PM   #1121
Ronnie Dobbs2
Pro Rookie

Yes, lowballing. What would Brees get on the open market? What did Manning just get?
Old 03-21-2012, 05:33 PM   #1122
johnnyshaka
College Benchwarmer

Quote:
He signed off on the latest CBA which allowed for this type of "lowballing" to happen.

Do you think the players and owners got everything they wanted in the current CBA that Brees just signed? It's a negotiation process and you have to take the good with the bad. The Franchise Tag is obviously bad for players but they had to sign off on that to get other things they wanted.

Look, if the Saints would have come out and said to Brees that we're going to slap the tag on you but we are committed to paying you like a top 5 QB, similar to how the Colts handled Manning's tagging, then I'm sure none of this would be even talked about because Brees would have himself a 5-year, $100+M deal. But that didn't happen and Brees is obviously pissed about it and I think he has every right to be pissed about it. He put the Saints back on the map and made them relevant, won them a Super Bowl, and is a pillar in that community...and they still haven't paid him.
Old 03-21-2012, 05:36 PM   #1123
jbergey22
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Brees is obviously pissed about it and I think he has every right to be pissed about it. He put the Saints back on the map and made them relevant, won them a Super Bowl, and is a pillar in that community...and they still haven't paid him.

I completely agree with this. I really dont think the Saints plan on not paying him or Brees sitting out though. Just insanely slow contract negotiations. Both of these two sides mean too much to each other for it to not work.
Old 03-21-2012, 05:40 PM   #1124
stevew
Hall Of Famer

I think you could easily argue that Brees should get about 133% of Manning. Easily 4-5 teams would pay him 25M a season and guarantee 60-75M
Old 03-21-2012, 05:43 PM   #1125
stevew
Hall Of Famer

I also wonder if Rodgers is going to demand an adjustment to his deal soon. He's basically making Ryan Fitzpatrick type money right now.
Old 03-21-2012, 05:44 PM   #1126
jbergey22
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevew View Post
I think you could easily argue that Brees should get about 133% of Manning. Easily 4-5 teams would pay him 25M a season and guarantee 60-75M

I guess maybe they could. I did just look up Bradys extension and seen he got 48m guaranteed on his last extension. The problem is the guarantee eats up so much cap space and cant be re-negotiated plus Brady was a bit younger than Brees will be. And youd have to think teams will use a bit more caution now that the seemingly invincible Peyton Manning missed an entire year.
Old 03-21-2012, 06:27 PM   #1127
whomario
Pro Starter

i realize Tebow has his (major) flaws, but i just can´t believe some of the things being written right now. Talk about going from one exctreme to the other, jeez ... I actually just read on Grantland

Quote:
He's a very flawed quarterback with the ability to serve as an effective runner who can throw downfield for big plays. The Jets successfully employed a player like that from 2007-10, former Mizzou quarterback Brad Smith, who is now filling that "Slash" role for the Buffalo Bills. The Jets likely remember what Smith did and associate his absence in their offense with part of the reason why they declined last season, so I wouldn't be shocked if they brought Tebow in to play that same role. He can play that part and have some value, but the Jets will have to find an active roster spot for him every week, which will be tricky

Seriously, you are going to tell us that it would be a risk or anything to carry him as your backup QB flat out ? Worst case you get a QB in who won´t throw the ball away and can propably do more to keep an offense moving than your average backup who lacks cohesion with the starters because Tebow´s strength is creating something out of plays that break down (which are usually plentifull with a backup in)

25 team are likely screwed anyway if their starter goes out, i´d much rather take my chances with a guy like Tebow who gives you the option to do sth different rather than inserting a guy who is propably similar to your starter, only multiple levels below him.

Dunno if that makes sense, but it amazes me right now and imo it has a lot to do with traditionalists handing out some "payback" and giving this whole idea the finger. "How dare anyone think you could win with a flawed player at QB ?"
“The only people for me are the mad ones, the ones who are mad to live, mad to talk, mad to be saved, desirous of everything at the same time, the ones who never yawn or say a commonplace thing, but burn, burn, burn, like fabulous yellow roman candles exploding like spiders across the stars and in the middle you see the blue centerlight pop and everybody goes "Awww!”
whomario is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2012, 06:27 PM   #1128
DeToxRox
Head Coach

Tim Tebow ‏ @TirnTebow

Retweet
Favorite
· Open

It's done... Heading to the #Jaguars! Can't wait to be home! #NFL

EDIT: Michael Lombardi retweeted this but as we can see its a fake.

Last edited by DeToxRox : 03-21-2012 at 06:28 PM.
DeToxRox is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2012, 06:31 PM   #1129
mckerney
Coordinator

Tirn Tebow?
mckerney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2012, 06:36 PM   #1130
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Among those who got snookered by this, if I'm not mistaken, would be PastaPadre ... was on his FB wall briefly, not there now, but I saw it & started searching the news for updates.

edit: PP's post wasn't a direct quote but was to the affect that Tebow was headed to Jax, the timing seems to match very closely

Last edited by JonInMiddleGA : 03-21-2012 at 06:37 PM.
JonInMiddleGA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2012, 06:40 PM   #1131
thesloppy
Pro Starter

Quote:
I guess maybe they could. I did just look up Bradys extension and seen he got 48m guaranteed on his last extension. The problem is the guarantee eats up so much cap space and cant be re-negotiated plus Brady was a bit younger than Brees will be. And youd have to think teams will use a bit more caution now that the seemingly invincible Peyton Manning missed an entire year.

I'd imagine Calvin Johnson's recent re-signing, with $60MM guaranteed, has reset the bar again.
Last edited by thesloppy : Today at 05:35 PM.
thesloppy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2012, 06:43 PM   #1132
molson
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by thesloppy View Post
I'd imagine Calvin Johnson's recent re-signing, with $60MM guaranteed, has reset the bar again.

It's funny owners can't collude but apparently have the obligation to honor each others' player contract philosophies. I guess whatever angle gets you the big deal is fair game though.
molson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2012, 07:01 PM   #1133
ColtCrazy
College Starter

Perplexed about the Texans letting DeMeco Ryans go. Always liked him as a LB. No Mario, No Ryans. Texans can't handle success or saving money because they know they can probably win the AFC South with a 9-7 team?
ColtCrazy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2012, 07:09 PM   #1134
Aylmar
High School Varsity

Quote:

Two years. Under the current CBA, a player can be franchise tagged in back to back years (that's the max, though...so he'd be free after that). If you're the Saints and the deal doesn't get done, why not tag him again next year? Unless Brees actually becomes a free agent, his rights still belong to the team and so he theoretically could have to repeat this process next off-season.

It won't happen. They'll get a deal done. But the hardball staring contest would be interesting...
Old 03-21-2012, 07:20 PM   #1135
M GO BLUE!!!
Pro Starter

Quote:
Tim Tebow ‏ @TirnTebow

Retweet
Favorite
· Open

Easiest way to tell it was a fake wasn't even spelling Tim "T I R N," it was the lack of mentioning Jesus.
M GO BLUE!!! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2012, 07:20 PM   #1136
bhlloy
Coordinator

Quote:
Tim Tebow ‏ @TirnTebow

Retweet
Favorite
· Open

Fake Brian Burke was hilarious. Some of the other parody accounts that have been set up have also been very funny. But I don't see the point in this recent trend of setting up fake twitter accounts just to report believable incorrect news and then lolzing when people think it's real.
bhlloy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2012, 08:08 PM   #1137
Julio Riddols
College Prospect

So Peyton (Sean) is not coaching this season. I'm sure the suspensions on the players will be harsh as well.. The Saints might just implode with the shitstorms colliding in their area this offseason.

Edit: Also losing their 2nd round picks this year and next.

FUCK EA

Last edited by Julio Riddols : 03-21-2012 at 08:21 PM.
Julio Riddols is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2012, 08:11 PM   #1138
stevew
Hall Of Famer

Odd story late today that Tebow could choose the Jets or Jags and still chose the Jets. I suppose from a missionary standpoint, the Jets have more and darker souls to save.

Last edited by stevew : 03-21-2012 at 08:16 PM.
Old 03-21-2012, 08:14 PM   #1139
SteveMax58
College Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevew View Post
Odd story late tiday that Tebow could choose the Jets or Jags and still chose the Jets. I suppose from a missionary standpoint, the Jets have more and darker souls to save.

Probably an easier shot at the #1 QB spot.
SteveMax58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2012, 08:23 PM   #1140
Danny
Head Coach

Not really surprising. Despite all the flack they take, the Jets are in a much better position to win than the Jaguars. And I think Tebow cares more about winning than personal accolades.
Danny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2012, 08:25 PM   #1141
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Danny View Post
And I think Tebow cares more about winning than personal accolades.

Or playing time, apparently.
Old 03-21-2012, 08:27 PM   #1142
Danny
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonInMiddleGA View Post
Or playing time, apparently.

He's behind Mark Sanchez, not someone who is actually a good QB.
Old 03-21-2012, 08:29 PM   #1143
Blackadar
Retired

Quote:
In the sport they play there is risk of injury. I dont see how you think its right if Drew Brees(the vice president of the NFL Players Association Executive Committee) decides to spit in the face of the many others than have had to take on this designation by not doing it.

If you really think Brees will get over 50m guaranteed you are crazy. Peyton Manning who was far closer to the Colts brass and had been with that franchise longer was only guaranteed 28m a year ago on that extension he signed. This is a player that HAD NEVER been injured or missed a game.

I am not saying whats right or wrong but Brees is really the wrong person to complain about something he signed on and agreed upon. Is he saying its ok if Cam Newton gets franchised but its not ok for the same to happen to him? If he didnt want the franchise they shouldnt have agreed to it.

WTF are you talking about? He's not "spitting in the face" of anyone. He has every right not to sign the Franchise Tender offer, just like he has every right not to sign any contract. His leverage is that the team will suck without him. So he has every right to not sign the tender and use that leverage to get a better deal. And he WILL get a better deal.

By the way, Peyton got $34.5m guaranteed for his extension in 2009. Mario Williams just got $50m guaranteed. Calvin Johnson just got $60m guaranteed. As such, Brees getting $40-$50m guaranteed is probably in the right ballpark with a total contract value in the neighborhood of $95-$105m, with the total duration of the deal being 5 years or so.
Blackadar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2012, 08:38 PM   #1144
sabotai
General Manager

Quote:

But on the Jags, his competition would be Chad Henne and Luke McCown. Not much of a fan of Sanchez, but he's much better than either of them. (Hell, I'd might even say as bad as Tebow is, he's even better than them.)
Old 03-21-2012, 08:39 PM   #1145
bhlloy
Coordinator

Quote:

As opposed to Blaine Gabbert, who actually was the worst full time starter in the league last year by quite a way?
bhlloy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2012, 08:40 PM   #1146
sabotai
General Manager

Oh yeah......and Blaine Gabbert
Old 03-21-2012, 08:41 PM   #1147
Danny
Head Coach

I actually don't think Sanchez is any better than Henne. In fact Sanchez has a lower career QB rating despite playing on a much better team
Old 03-21-2012, 08:41 PM   #1148
Danny
Head Coach

I'm not trying to hype up Tebow btw, I just think Sanchez is really bad.
Old 03-21-2012, 08:48 PM   #1149
SteveMax58
College Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by sabotai View Post
Oh yeah......and Blaine Gabbert

Easy to miss him as he's been busy finishing up tax returns before the deadline.
SteveMax58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2012, 08:58 PM   #1150
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

The problem I see isn't the QB's ostensibly in front of Tebow on the depth chart, it's the franchise's likely willingness to rebuild a team to suit his skill set.