Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Archives > FOFC Archive
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 06-17-2003, 04:51 PM   #1101
sachmo71
The boy who cried Trout

These shake his credibility somewhat:
Quote:
8. San Jose Sharks
What a difference a year makes. I wasn't sold on all the Stanley Cup talk surrounding this team, but what a nice group they had. Wonderful, proactive, passionate fans. Holdouts, coaching changes, retirements, and trades and this team is suddenly a big question mark. I love their announcers, their logo, watching Patrick Marleau skate and the intimacy of their rink. I hope Ron Wilson can get them together and they can return as a playoff team. Last year was an ugly mess, a classic case of mismanagement for whatever reason.

9. Darren Pang
I love Panger. One of my favorite Panger moments is to going to Denny's after an NHL 2Night in 2002 and writing down our Olympic rosters on the placemat at 2 a.m. Panger talks hockey and thinks hockey all the time. He would be an ideal NHL GM. He loves the game, knows the game, knows all the people in the game, is not afraid to solicit advice and is insatiably likeable. Highly competitive, passionate, patient and unwilling to deal with incompetence, he would be an excellent cog in any NHL organization. He would think things through and then make the hard decision. Panger is the little bird in that little hockey birdhouse in your soul.

10. This year's draft class
The game is changing. If there is lockout it's goodbye Forsberg, Sakic, Naslund, Yzerman, Messier, Francis, Lemieux, Hull, Lidstrom, Modano, Chelios, just to name a few. Late 30-year-olds won't find a need to come back unless there is union pressure. Some Europeans will go home and play in their country for a couple of years, play in the the 2006 Olympics and retire on all their North America-earned money. This year, as well as the last couple of years, the NHL draft will feature the new wave of player. They say this year's draft class is deep. It better be ocean deep, to replace a sea of legends who will sail into the sunset in the post lockout NHL.

But I agree with 7.
sachmo71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2003, 11:02 PM   #1102
Fidatelo
Pro Starter

I've never seen NHL2Night, but based on his columns I can't stand Buccigross.
"Breakfast? Breakfast schmekfast, look at the score for God's sake. It's only the second period and I'm winning 12-2. Breakfasts come and go, Rene, but Hartford, the Whale, they only beat Vancouver maybe once or twice in a lifetime."
Fidatelo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2003, 01:52 AM   #1103
Karim
College Starter

I agree with #10 only in that an extended lockout will see a lot of retirement and Europeans leaving. It could make for a much younger and less defensive NHL, especially if combined with rule changes.

From all accounts that I've read, no one is really ready to step into the NHL from this years draft. Vanek or Zherdev .... a big maybe.
Karim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2003, 11:25 AM   #1104
bbor
Pro Starter

Trade talks are swirling...Milbury wants Burke...and is willing to give up his first rounder 16th for him...what happens to hackett then?

Phoenix has 3 tenders so this could be a good deal for themk.

Now that I've cracked and made that admission, I wonder if I'm only a couple of steps away from wanting to tongue-kiss Jaromir Jagr and give Bobby Clarke a blowjob.
bbor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2003, 11:33 AM   #1105
Honolulu_Blue
Hockey Boy

I heard the Burke to Boston rumors as well. I guess it's not a bad deal, considering what the Coyotes were rumoring to be asking for at the deadline last year (Jackman, multiple number one picks, etc.).

I think Hackett is a free agent. He will wind up somewhere. Philly and Colorado come to mind when thinking about who needs goaltending.

Philly has a ton of picks and could also be in the running for Burke.

Also sound like Tampa is shopping Khabibulin around.

It will be interesting to see what Florida is able to get for the #1 overall. Sounds like they are asking for quite a bit.

As per usual, the Wings only have a handful of picks. No #1 or #3. They have at least one in each other round with 2 in the 6th, I think.
Steve Yzerman: 1,755 points in 1,514 regular season games. 185 points in 196 postseason games. A First-Team All-Star, Conn Smythe Trophy winner, Selke Trophy winner, Masterton Trophy winner, member of the Hockey Hall of Fame, Olympic gold medallist, and a three-time Stanley Cup Champion. Longest serving captain of one team in the history of the NHL (19 seasons).
Honolulu_Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2003, 01:31 PM   #1106
bbor
Pro Starter

Hand full of picks...but no Larionov..he turned down the 1 year 1 mil deal offered to him...I can't see him being worth much more to anybody except the Wings....Wings should be carefull not to overpay for him..he is not needed that bad.IMHO.

Khabibulin would be an interesting choice for the Avs...if i am Lacroix that's where i look..But what does TB do for a Goalie then?

Am i missing something here or was he one of the only reasons why they made the play-offs?

Now that I've cracked and made that admission, I wonder if I'm only a couple of steps away from wanting to tongue-kiss Jaromir Jagr and give Bobby Clarke a blowjob.
Old 06-18-2003, 01:36 PM   #1107
Cards4ever
College Benchwarmer

Quote:
Originally posted by Karim
I agree with #10 only in that an extended lockout will see a lot of retirement and Europeans leaving. It could make for a much younger and less defensive NHL, especially if combined with rule changes.

From all accounts that I've read, no one is really ready to step into the NHL from this years draft. Vanek or Zherdev .... a big maybe.

If Vanek goes pro this year, he will struggle defensively, he has the offensive skills though. Word here is, he enrolled in summer classes, so, somebody is going to have to come with the big dough, or he's playing another year here.
Old 06-18-2003, 02:13 PM   #1108
Honolulu_Blue
Hockey Boy

Quote:
Originally posted by bbor
Hand full of picks...but no Larionov..he turned down the 1 year 1 mil deal offered to him...I can't see him being worth much more to anybody except the Wings....Wings should be carefull not to overpay for him..he is not needed that bad.IMHO.

Khabibulin would be an interesting choice for the Avs...if i am Lacroix that's where i look..But what does TB do for a Goalie then?

Am i missing something here or was he one of the only reasons why they made the play-offs?

Apparently the Bhulin Wall wasn't his old self pretty much all year. He was decent, just not the dominating force he was, say, last year. Even though Tampa stunk. He fell so far to be replaced by Jon Grahame in Game 5 during the first round. I think Grahame led them the rest of the way...

Larionov and the Wings do this dance every year it seems. He even bolted to Florida one year before the Wings got him back mid-season for Yan Goblusky. I am sure he will end up signing with the Wings. He may go to Vancouver, he loves it there. The Wings did plan for Grigorenko to take his spot... That was before the unfortunate car accident.
Old 06-18-2003, 02:16 PM   #1109
bbor
Pro Starter

Ick.....If the Lightning plan on using Grahame to get back in the play-offs next season...i uhh...think they may be fooling themselves...look for them to take a bad turn into the TB of old...

Unless they make a deal to get that first over-all pick to get Fluery??

Althoughi can't see one Florida team trading that pick to another Florida team.

Old 06-18-2003, 02:34 PM   #1110
Honolulu_Blue
Hockey Boy

I agree. Grahame has never proven himself capable of being a real #1 goaltender. Hopefully, for them, the Lightning will smooth things over with Bhulin and keep on keepin' on. I think going for Grahame would be a backwards step for them. Would be sad to see, especially after the year they had.

I would be shocked to see Florida trade the pick to the Lightning. Good rivalry there. No reason to fork over a potential franchies goalie to your enemy.

I sort of like the Florida teams now that I think about it. I always have for some reason.
Steve Yzerman: 1,755 points in 1,514 regular season games. 185 points in 196 postseason games. A First-Team All-Star, Conn Smythe Trophy winner, Selke Trophy winner, Masterton Trophy winner, member of the Hockey Hall of Fame, Olympic gold medallist, and a three-time Stanley Cup Champion. Longest serving captain of one team in the history of the NHL (19 seasons).
Old 06-18-2003, 03:02 PM   #1111
Cards4ever
College Benchwarmer

For some of you guys that have never seen Vanek, go here and check out the videos, he has goals in all 3 of these games.

http://www.cotnerfamily.com/gopherpucklive/video.htm
Old 06-18-2003, 08:29 PM   #1112
Karim
College Starter

Does anyone think Fleury is so highly touted only because he's the only good goalie this year?

Someone may seriously overpay to get him...
Old 06-18-2003, 09:21 PM   #1113
bbor
Pro Starter

He looked good in th eworld JR's for all that's worth.It's true though...no other goalie will got ill the 3rd round or so.Supply and demand i suppose.

Old 06-19-2003, 06:19 AM   #1114
Karim
College Starter

There's no doubt that he'll be a quality goalie but at this age there is no way to predict if his contribution will be greater than any of the supposed top ten players. Teams may need a goalie now but he's probably two to three years from playing in the NHL and maybe as far as five or six years from rounding into form.
Old 06-19-2003, 11:53 AM   #1115
bbor
Pro Starter

Interesting rumour...

Panthers want 2 NHL ready players for their pick

Rolston/Boynton and 16th pick for the number 1 pick.

Another i heard is that Hackett has already signed a deal in principle to go to the Flyers.

Leafs are working on a buyout for Jerki Lumme.....cause you know..they have a glut of defenceman.....Oh wait...lumme was'nt a defencman,....he was a warm body

Old 06-19-2003, 01:21 PM   #1116
Cards4ever
College Benchwarmer

More Vanek propaganda!

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/hoc...vanek_feature/
Old 06-19-2003, 02:07 PM   #1117
Karim
College Starter

American College Hockey is definitely on the rise in terms of developing talent and a solid reputation. Last year was the greatest in terms of numbers drafted into the NHL and this year is only going to be better.

I'm not sure what's the cause for the turn around, but it's good to see.

Wild Prediction (without trades):

1 - Staal (Florida)
2 - Fleury (Carolina)
3 - Zherdev (Pittsburgh)
4 - Horton (Columbus)
5 - Vanek (Buffalo)
6 - Suter (San Jose)
7 - Phaneuf (Nashville)
8 - Coburn (Atlanta)
9 - Michalek (Calgary)
Old 06-19-2003, 02:20 PM   #1118
Cards4ever
College Benchwarmer

Part of the reason is, college hockey is bringing more 20yo freshman in, and the ones that are 18yo(that get drafted), come from a league like the USHL, which definitely accelerates their growth.

Your team has Leopold, who definitely looked out of place at the beginning of the year, but after getting sent down and getting some experience played better at the end of year. I think he needs to be more physical, but once he gets that down, he will be a good addition to your team.

Did you check out the video from the link I provided? The goal that ended up being the game winner against UNH by Vanek is a big time goal and shows he is going to be good IMHO.
Old 06-19-2003, 11:03 PM   #1119
Chief Rum
Hall Of Famer

Oh no you don't!

That's right, Mr. thread, right back off of Page Two and up to the top of General Discussion...yup...

CR

I would rather be wrong...Than live in the shadows of your song...My mind is open wide...And now I'm ready to start...You're not sure...You open the door...And step out into the dark...Now I'm ready.
Chief Rum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2003, 11:51 PM   #1120
Karim
College Starter

Good job, Chief!
Old 06-20-2003, 01:31 AM   #1121
Honolulu_Blue
Hockey Boy

Thanks, Chief!

Ever watchful we, the Hockey fans of FOFC, must be!

Hmmm... Must keep thread respectable with content. Tired. No coffee yet...

The Boston deal:

Rolston/Boyonton and #16 for the #1? Sounds steep. Very steep. I guess if they are convinced either Staal or Fleury are really the real deal. Like Karim said, it's really hard to project how a goalie will develop.
Old 06-20-2003, 08:50 AM   #1122
sachmo71
The boy who cried Trout

With everyone freaking out about next year, I think Boston might actually make that deal. Then we will see Florida in the playoffs this year.
Old 06-20-2003, 12:10 PM   #1123
bbor
Pro Starter

I think Boston would make that deal to get Fluery.

Another deal i could see happening is Fla and Carolina flipping picks...with FLA getting some sort of youngster or something also....Carolina needs some Goaltending youth...Fluery would fit that bill.

Old 06-20-2003, 10:09 PM   #1124
bbor
Pro Starter

Bump

Old 06-21-2003, 04:21 AM   #1125
Honolulu_Blue
Hockey Boy

Well, it starts with a whimper. Josef Stumpel (along with a 7th rounder) is sent back to the Kings for a few picks. Whoopty damn doo! I really like the name Josef Stumpel. It's easily one of the best names to yell at any moment. Especially if you add a bit of a German accent to it.
Old 06-21-2003, 11:13 AM   #1126
klayman
College Benchwarmer

Pens got the 1st pick from florida for Mikael Samuelsson and the 3rd pick overall.

Carolina got Danny Markov and a conditional 4th round pick in 2004 for David Tanabe and Igor Knyazev from the Coyotes.

Are we going to start a new draft thread or just continue with this one?
klayman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2003, 02:30 PM   #1127
Honolulu_Blue
Hockey Boy

Continue with this one! Why not?

Interesting little deal for the Pens. We kept hearing all of this talk of Florida making a big deal or asking for too much. Swaping picks and Samuelsson doesn't sound like that steep of a price. I guess it works well for both. Florida gets they got they wanted all along, Horton, and Samuelsson as a bonus. Pitt gets their guy an dgives up some payroll, always a bonus for the Pens.
Old 06-21-2003, 02:42 PM   #1128
bbor
Pro Starter

What a boring draft so far...Closest thing to being exciting is the Jagr for Lindross rumours...other than that...ZZZZZZZZZZ

Old 06-21-2003, 04:17 PM   #1129
Honolulu_Blue
Hockey Boy

I can't seem to find a decent webiste tracking the draft... Hrmm...
Old 06-21-2003, 08:20 PM   #1130
Honolulu_Blue
Hockey Boy

Well...

Quick summary of the deals, all small:

St. Louis dumps Tyson Nash to Phoenix. Good riddance. He will now annoy the Wings much fewer times each year.

Nikolishin goes from Chicago to the Avs. I've always liked Niko. Good on faceoffs, good defensive forward. Too bad he is now tainted.

Scott Parker goes from the Avs to Tamps. Heh! Well, good to see the big palooka move on. He'll do well in Tampa. Patroling the ice down there. Protecting the wee ones. I imagine some classic Worrell-Parker bouts in the future.

Markov and a pick for Tanabee and some Russian. I like the trade for Carolina. Tanabe may have some upside, but I think Markov is the better all around defenseman.

That's all really.

Ivan Majesky was traded, but scew him.

The Wings selected Jim Howard, a goalie out of Maine. Cards, you know a lot about NCAA hockey. Any take on this guy?
Old 06-21-2003, 08:21 PM   #1131
Honolulu_Blue
Hockey Boy

Oops. Forgot:

Cory Stillman went from St. Louis to Tampa. Another good move for Tampa. Stillman isn't a superstar, but he can put up some decent points. He'll fit right in with the Fedotenkos and Prospals and the Richards and the St. Louis and the rest of those guys.
Old 06-22-2003, 02:16 AM   #1132
Cards4ever
College Benchwarmer

Quote:
Originally posted by Honolulu_Blue

The Wings selected Jim Howard, a goalie out of Maine. Cards, you know a lot about NCAA hockey. Any take on this guy?

Don't know a whole lot about him, I don't get to see enough Hockey East games to give you a true take on him, here's a USCHO article about him.

http://www.uscho.com/news/2003/06/18_006793.php

I'm surprised that Montoya wasn't picked, of course he might be in that age bracket where he will be able to be a free agent.
Old 06-22-2003, 03:27 PM   #1133
bbor
Pro Starter

As i said,Boring draft...this really scares me about the labour problems for next season.

It was like everyone was too scared to pull the trigger on big name player deals because of the new contract.

Old 06-22-2003, 09:17 PM   #1134
chrisj
H.S. Freshman Team

Location: Edmonton, Alberta (but still wishing I was in Halifax, Nova Scotia, Canada)
hmm... thought some of you might be interested in seeing this, there was a somewhat interesting pick in the 9th round...

http://www.sportsnet.ca/nhl/story/10...10563252151787

Panthers pull a rat with final draft pick

And by rat, we don't mean former player Scott Mellanby, we mean the real vermin as the Panthers try to pull a legal technicality over the league to draft Russian Alexander Ovechkin.

The NHL draft is officially over, but not without a bang from the Florida Panthers.

Sportsnet has learned that with their final pick Sunday in the ninth round, the Panthers selected Alexander Ovechkin, the youngster from Russia who is almost certain to go number one in next year's draft.

The NHL rejected the pick since Ovechkin's birthday is Sep. 17, two days after the cut off day of Sep. 15 to be eligible for this year's draft. But the Panthers believe that due to a lack of clarity in the collective bargaining agreement, in terms of what constitutes a year, they may in fact have a case.

Since more than two leap years have occurred between the day he was born and the 2003 draft, the Panthers contend he is technically eligible now, and they plan to protest the NHL's ruling.
chrisj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2003, 10:11 PM   #1135
bbor
Pro Starter

Mike Keenan at his best

Old 06-23-2003, 05:36 AM   #1136
Karim
College Starter

That's classic. If a NHL arbitrator allows the pick, can you imagine the ire FLorida's going to get from the other GMs?

About the draft, it's really not unusual to see a lack of big names moved. The NHL frowns on taking the spotlight away from the kids. I won't be surprised if something isn't done in the next week or so with July 1st around the corner.

So for those of you who followed the draft, how did you team fare?
Old 06-23-2003, 06:53 AM   #1137
chrisj
H.S. Freshman Team

Location: Edmonton, Alberta (but still wishing I was in Halifax, Nova Scotia, Canada)
As Junior Hockey fan, I'd have to say my team did well in terms of having their players drafted... 6 were drafted by NHL teams overall this year, the most from the Q in 10 years.

42 Petr Vrana NJ
60 Marc-Andre Bernier Vancouver
85 Alexandre Picard Philadephia
96 Boutin Tampa
110 Jimmy Sharrow Atlanta
222 FP Guenette Vancouver
chrisj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2003, 10:00 AM   #1138
sachmo71
The boy who cried Trout

Anyone want Guerin?? Apparently, the Stars a shopping him.

www.andrewsstarspage.com
Old 06-23-2003, 10:26 AM   #1139
Cards4ever
College Benchwarmer

What the hell are you guys doing down there Sach?

See my note about Guyer in the draft thread?
Old 06-23-2003, 10:44 AM   #1140
sachmo71
The boy who cried Trout

I have no clue, Cards. I'm just hanging on for dear life, but it seems to me that Hicks is either panicking about next year, or he's content to look like the biggest bozo in hockey. My only question would be...did it not occur to them last year that 2004 might be trouble for the team? *SHRUG*
Old 06-23-2003, 10:58 AM   #1141
Karim
College Starter

I'm particularly pleased with this year's draft. The Flames got Phaneuf thanks to San Jose's choice of Michalek. There was no one else we really wanted so the rest of the draft was gravy which Sutter managed to target size and toughness.

New Jersey really did steal the show however, getting Parise and Vrana. They really do know how to draft better than any other team.
Old 06-23-2003, 01:22 PM   #1142
Cards4ever
College Benchwarmer

Quote:
Originally posted by sachmo71
I have no clue, Cards. I'm just hanging on for dear life, but it seems to me that Hicks is either panicking about next year, or he's content to look like the biggest bozo in hockey. My only question would be...did it not occur to them last year that 2004 might be trouble for the team? *SHRUG*

From what you had told us, they were trying to win a Cup, from what we are seeing and hearing, this doesn't sound like a team trying to win a Cup. This is bound to piss off the season ticket holders. I guess we will find out his true intentions with what he does with Hatcher.
Old 06-23-2003, 01:24 PM   #1143
sachmo71
The boy who cried Trout

Yup, he seems to have abondoned the plan. STHers are already pissed because of the playoff pricing structure.
Old 06-23-2003, 01:33 PM   #1144
Cards4ever
College Benchwarmer

Quote:
Originally posted by sachmo71
Yup, he seems to have abondoned the plan. STHers are already pissed because of the playoff pricing structure.

What happened with that deal?
Old 06-23-2003, 02:09 PM   #1145
sachmo71
The boy who cried Trout

Quote:
Originally posted by Cards4ever
What happened with that deal?

Read, and be amazed.

Quote:
Stars take risk with higher prices
By Jeff Caplan
Star-Telegram

Angry e-mails and phone calls reached the Stars organization from some hot season-ticket holders after they received their playoff ticket-order forms for the final two rounds.

Of course, with the Stars eliminated from the Stanley Cup chase in the second round, the complaint department has undoubtedly cooled. But, season-ticket holders were not pleased with a $90 playoff price put on $34 regular-season seats, had the Stars advanced to the third round of the Western Conference playoffs.

Those same seats then would have been first offered to season-ticket holders for $135 for the Stanley Cup Finals.

"This, I feel, is gouging," wrote a six-year season-ticket holder. "When I called them, I asked if there was an error. They said no and said they had had lots of calls about the prices."

The Stars had hoped to earn a nod of empathy after not raising ticket prices for the first round. Those $34 tickets increased to $50 for the second round, still a fair value for playoff hockey in today's overpriced entertainment market. But, the significant hike for the final two rounds steamed season-ticket holders, the team's most loyal fan base.

Stars management counters with a legitimate argument. To sign high-priced free agents such as Bill Guerin, to retain dominant players such as Derian Hatcher, to pay rising stars such as Marty Turco, and to watch them compete for a Stanley Cup inside a luxury arena, well, somebody's got to help pay for it.

But one must wonder if owners are paying close attention to who is in the championship hunt these days. The NHL's six highest-payroll teams are out of the playoffs. The league's top spender, the New York Rangers, failed to make the postseason.

Mid-level spenders Anaheim, Vancouver, Ottawa and New Jersey, and even low-budget Minnesota, are breaking through by winning with young talent, developed in the organization's farm system. At the same time, they assemble a team of hard-working, moderately priced players.

That's how Major League Baseball's Anaheim Angels won the World Series. The Oakland A's have set the standard for winning on a tight budget, followed by Minnesota, and, this season, Kansas City is the surprise low-rent club at the top of the AL Central Division.

The Stars had a $66 million payroll this season, almost double the NHL median of $34 million.

The Stars report they broke even this season, thanks to six home playoff games. Playoff games generate between $1 million and $2 million, depending on ticket prices.

For the Stars, it makes for a tricky catch-22. They don't enjoy raising ticket prices, but, they suggest, it is the price of fielding a team capable of winning it all. Yet, they must be cautious of alienating their season-ticket holders.

The Stars, however, are fortunate to have demand on their side. The club has sold out 236 consecutive games. For every season-ticket holder who passes on expensive playoff tickets, someone else is willing to pay.

Say what you want about Hicks, but he has Texas-sized balls.
"You want playoffs tickets? F$#k you, pay me!"
Old 06-23-2003, 02:17 PM   #1146
Cards4ever
College Benchwarmer

I looked at the grip for seats last year and thought they were high, so, to jack them up like that is dangerous. If they don't sign Hatcher and Guerin is traded they are going to be playing a game of chicken with the STH's.

For a $34 seat, I think a fair increase is $44 first and second round, 54 3rd round and 64 if they make the cup finals. Shit, gouge the MF'ers in the suites, leave the people upstairs alone, those are the people that come night after night.
Old 06-23-2003, 03:16 PM   #1147
sachmo71
The boy who cried Trout

Ahhh, but Hicks would never want to upset the suite owners. They pay the dough.

It's nothing different than what is happening all around the sports world. There seems to have been a surge in fan loyalty in the past two decades, and the owners have seen it. They will take that and use it to make as much money as possible. Now I'm beginning to think that if the Stars ever get a bad owner (much like the Mavs suffered through until Cuban came along), the team will leave this town faster than crap through a goose.
Old 06-23-2003, 04:24 PM   #1148
sachmo71
The boy who cried Trout

I guess you boys can get excited about a possible Hatcher signing, because it looks like he's leaving Dallas. This is from the Dallas Stars Website at www.dallasstars.com

Quote:
End of an era?
A day after planning for their future by picking up seven players on the final day of the draft, the Stars might have said goodbye to part of their past as General Manager Doug Armstrong announced the team will not offer Derian Hatcher a contract before the free-agency period begins July 1. Hatcher has been the Stars' captain for nine seasons.

I don't have anything else to say, except that I'm sad.
Old 06-23-2003, 04:29 PM   #1149
Cards4ever
College Benchwarmer

I bet, everything just feels wrong there. Well, it's not like we haven't been screwed by owners before.
Old 06-23-2003, 05:56 PM   #1150
Karim
College Starter

Latest rumours out of Calgary...

Chris Drury wants $4 million. It's more of an indication that he no longer wants to play in Calgary than the fact he realistically thinks he's worth that much. He's averaged 22 goals and 55 points over his five year career.

He made $2.5 million last year and no doubt we'll qualify him but with potentially arbitration and a hold-out on the horizon, look for Sutter to deal him. Colorado is obviously on the top of the list and Reinprecht is the name that's been bantied about, a young, cheap, Alberta-born, forward.

Bougner was close to being dealt at the draft to Florida for Novolseltsev... No doubt he and Conroy (UFAs) will be dealt this season.