Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Archives > FOFC Archive
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 05-26-2009, 06:42 PM   #1101
Tekneek
Pro Rookie

http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/story/?id=280002

Former NHL player Peter Zezel passed away at a Toronto hospital on Tuesday, after a long battle with a blood disorder.

Zezel, 44, spent the last 10 years being treated for haemolytic anaemia, a rare disorder in which red blood cells are destroyed faster than the body can replace them.
Tekneek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2009, 06:43 PM   #1102
Logan
Head Coach

That sucks. Hell of a competitor.
Logan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2009, 08:03 PM   #1103
Maple Leafs
Coordinator

Very sad.

The guy played for seven cities and was a fan favorite in all seven.
Old 05-26-2009, 08:30 PM   #1104
Honolulu_Blue
Hockey Boy

I will always remember Peter Zezel for his play along the boards. I don't think I watched one game in which he played where the TV guys at some point didn't mention something about how good he was along the boards because he could use his skates so well because he played soccer.
Steve Yzerman: 1,755 points in 1,514 regular season games. 185 points in 196 postseason games. A First-Team All-Star, Conn Smythe Trophy winner, Selke Trophy winner, Masterton Trophy winner, member of the Hockey Hall of Fame, Olympic gold medallist, and a three-time Stanley Cup Champion. Longest serving captain of one team in the history of the NHL (19 seasons).
Honolulu_Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2009, 09:02 PM   #1105
Dr. Sak
Grizzled Veteran

Looks like I'm a Wings fan again...how are you fellas
Dr. Sak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2009, 09:07 PM   #1106
Dr. Sak
Grizzled Veteran

I'd love to know the last time the captain touched the conference championship trophy in either conference before tonight.
Old 05-26-2009, 09:23 PM   #1107
Dr. Sak
Grizzled Veteran

It was Lemieux in 91.
Old 05-26-2009, 09:48 PM   #1108
Wolfpack
Pro Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. Sak View Post
I'd love to know the last time the captain touched the conference championship trophy in either conference before tonight.

Not sure about after '02, but I do know that our guys pretty much paraded with it that year. Avoided it like the plague in '06 as a result.

As for tonight and the series in general, it just wasn't in the cards. From Eric Staal's whiff late in Game One right up to the crazy flying fluke of a goal that trickled over Ward's shoulder tonight, nothing went right. Whenever they'd get something going do some good, someone (usually a D-man) would commit a foolish error and any momentum quickly evaporated. Whenever the Pens did something right, they kept doing it right (other than perhaps the first couple of periods of Game Two and the opening minutes of Games Three and Four) and Carolina just couldn't find any way to turn it around when things went south on them.

I haven't made up my mind yet who I would like to see win should Detroit win tomorrow night. On one hand, having lived in Michigan, I know a championship would carry some serious meaning there given what's going on. In addition, Pittsburgh's got their championship already with the Steelers. On the other hand, the Pens haven't won the Cup in nearly 20 years and while I'm not a fan of either team, I know it's good for the league as a whole to have a big-time rivalry that seems to be brewing between the two sides, which would be more enhanced were Pittsburgh to knock off the champs.

All in all, though, a great run to end the season, filled with more heart-arresting moments than I ever wanted to see, but without them we never could have made it this far. It's been fun.
Wolfpack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2009, 09:51 PM   #1109
Swaggs
Coordinator

Quote:

Would you give up the Phillies' World Series if it meant that the Steelers had not and Pens did not win their championships this season?
Swaggs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2009, 09:55 PM   #1110
Tekneek
Pro Rookie

I am looking forward to a Wings/Pens final (again). As much as I like Lidstrom (one of the few all-time favorites of mine), I hope the Pens get this one in a 6 or 7 game classic series.

I am not assuming the Wings will win their current series, but it seems extremely likely.
Tekneek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2009, 10:11 PM   #1111
bbor
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tekneek View Post
http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/story/?id=280002

Former NHL player Peter Zezel passed away at a Toronto hospital on Tuesday, after a long battle with a blood disorder.

Zezel, 44, spent the last 10 years being treated for haemolytic anaemia, a rare disorder in which red blood cells are destroyed faster than the body can replace them.

Zezel did a lot of work around Toronto with minor hockey including coaching a team with Clarks and Gilmours kid on them.He;ll be missed in the community here.

Now that I've cracked and made that admission, I wonder if I'm only a couple of steps away from wanting to tongue-kiss Jaromir Jagr and give Bobby Clarke a blowjob.
bbor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2009, 07:04 AM   #1112
Dr. Sak
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Swaggs View Post
Would you give up the Phillies' World Series if it meant that the Steelers had not and Pens did not win their championships this season?

Heck no. That World Series game I took my dad to is something I'll remember forever.
Old 05-27-2009, 08:30 AM   #1113
gstelmack
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wolfpack View Post
As for tonight and the series in general, it just wasn't in the cards. From Eric Staal's whiff late in Game One right up to the crazy flying fluke of a goal that trickled over Ward's shoulder tonight, nothing went right. Whenever they'd get something going do some good, someone (usually a D-man) would commit a foolish error and any momentum quickly evaporated. Whenever the Pens did something right, they kept doing it right (other than perhaps the first couple of periods of Game Two and the opening minutes of Games Three and Four) and Carolina just couldn't find any way to turn it around when things went south on them.

Agreed on all this. The sad part is I think I'd feel better if they'd lost in 7 to Boston, you just hate to get blown off the ice like the Canes did against the Pens, but when bounces were going the way they were you just know it was not meant to be. And you certainly can't have the defensive lapses the Canes did when things are going that way.

But it was nice to be back in the Conference Finals, let's see if they can get back here again next year.
Old 05-27-2009, 08:54 AM   #1114
Maple Leafs
Coordinator

The Washington Captials are dirty cheaters who were all on steroids:
Report: Steroid dealer boasts of sales to Washington Capitals - Puck Daddy - NHL - Yahoo! Sports

Or something to that affect. I don't like reading all the way through articles.
Old 05-27-2009, 09:07 AM   #1115
Dr. Sak
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
What investigators aren't sure of is whether Richard Thomas, 35, is telling the truth when he says he is the biggest steroid provider in Central Florida and that he sold mostly to professional athletes, including those on the Washington Capitals hockey team and Washington Nationals baseball team.

Must be shitty steroids if the Nationals use them.
Old 05-27-2009, 09:17 AM   #1116
Fidatelo
Pro Starter

I am a little worried that, just as the NHL is regaining some popularity and momentum, some steroid scandals are going to pop up. Why wouldn't a bunch of players be using? Same goes for the NBA. It just makes no sense that the NFL and MLB would be chock full of 'roids but the NBA and NHL would be clean as a whistle...
"Breakfast? Breakfast schmekfast, look at the score for God's sake. It's only the second period and I'm winning 12-2. Breakfasts come and go, Rene, but Hartford, the Whale, they only beat Vancouver maybe once or twice in a lifetime."

Last edited by Fidatelo : 05-27-2009 at 09:18 AM.
Fidatelo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2009, 09:24 AM   #1117
Maple Leafs
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fidatelo View Post
Why wouldn't a bunch of players be using? Same goes for the NBA. It just makes no sense that the NFL and MLB would be chock full of 'roids but the NBA and NHL would be clean as a whistle...
The argument has always been that hockey players don't need muscle mass the way that other athletes do. There's nobody in the NHL who looks like Jose Canseco or Shawn Merriman.

I heard a former athlete on the radio a few weeks ago when Manny was busted. He said he estimates that 70% of pro athlete PED users aren't using to bulk up, but to help with recovery from injury and to deal with the day-to-day grind.

If he's right, and given how tough a sport hockey is and how long the season is, I think it's almost a given that players must be using. Especially when you consider what a joke the NHL's drug testing is.

My guess is we'll find out sooner than later.
Old 05-27-2009, 09:38 AM   #1118
Oilers9911
College Benchwarmer

Quote:

That is such a stupid superstition. Then again most superstitions are. Every year two teams avoid touching the conference championship trophy and every year one team wins and one team loses.
Oilers9911 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2009, 09:42 AM   #1119
gstelmack
Pro Starter

Crosby pointed out last night in the interview that they did not touch it last year and things did not go there way, so why not try touching it this time?
Old 05-27-2009, 09:47 AM   #1120
Dr. Sak
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by gstelmack View Post
Crosby pointed out last night in the interview that they did not touch it last year and things did not go there way, so why not try touching it this time?

I'm not arguing with what he did, I just haven't seen someone touch it in a long time.
Old 05-27-2009, 09:52 AM   #1121
DataKing
Pro Rookie

I know that Yzerman used to avoid the thing like the plague, and I'm pretty sure Lidstrom has followed suit since then.

Edit: Scratch that....Steve picked up the Campbell trophy in '97.
Diablo III (BattleTag: DataKing#1685)
Allegiances:
Chicago Bears - Detroit Red Wings - Kansas Jayhawks
Awards:
2011 Golden Scribe - Other Sports Category (The Straight(away) and Narrow - A Forza Motorsport 3 Dynasty)

Last edited by DataKing : 05-27-2009 at 09:54 AM.
DataKing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2009, 09:58 AM   #1122
Honolulu_Blue
Hockey Boy

I agree that it's a silly superstition, but, then again, superstitions are, by their very nature, pretty silly.
Steve Yzerman: 1,755 points in 1,514 regular season games. 185 points in 196 postseason games. A First-Team All-Star, Conn Smythe Trophy winner, Selke Trophy winner, Masterton Trophy winner, member of the Hockey Hall of Fame, Olympic gold medallist, and a three-time Stanley Cup Champion. Longest serving captain of one team in the history of the NHL (19 seasons).
Old 05-27-2009, 11:11 AM   #1123
Fidatelo
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maple Leafs View Post
The argument has always been that hockey players don't need muscle mass the way that other athletes do. There's nobody in the NHL who looks like Jose Canseco or Shawn Merriman.

I heard a former athlete on the radio a few weeks ago when Manny was busted. He said he estimates that 70% of pro athlete PED users aren't using to bulk up, but to help with recovery from injury and to deal with the day-to-day grind.

If he's right, and given how tough a sport hockey is and how long the season is, I think it's almost a given that players must be using. Especially when you consider what a joke the NHL's drug testing is.

My guess is we'll find out sooner than later.

If guys are using, the NHL better hope to hell Crosby isn't one of them. I think if Ovie were caught they could still be alright, as he has been cast as the heel already. But if the poster-boy Baby Face is found to be using, that would kill them.
"Breakfast? Breakfast schmekfast, look at the score for God's sake. It's only the second period and I'm winning 12-2. Breakfasts come and go, Rene, but Hartford, the Whale, they only beat Vancouver maybe once or twice in a lifetime."
Old 05-27-2009, 11:12 AM   #1124
DeToxRox
Head Coach

I am not so sure I want Detroit to win tonight. Obviously I do but assuming they'd win game 6, I'd rather that be the scenario and I never thought I would ever say that. My reasoning is a win tonight means a good chance that we end up playing back to back Saturday and Sunday and Lidstrom and Dats still don't sound anywhere near 100%. That'd be a shitty way to start the SCF.
DeToxRox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2009, 11:13 AM   #1125
Draft Dodger
Coordinator

of course Crosby is using - look at all the facial hair that woman has now
Old 05-27-2009, 11:20 AM   #1126
DataKing
Pro Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Draft Dodger View Post

Allegiances:
Awards:
2011 Golden Scribe - Other Sports Category (The Straight(away) and Narrow - A Forza Motorsport 3 Dynasty)
Old 05-27-2009, 11:23 AM   #1127
Fidatelo
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeToxRox View Post
I am not so sure I want Detroit to win tonight. Obviously I do but assuming they'd win game 6, I'd rather that be the scenario and I never thought I would ever say that. My reasoning is a win tonight means a good chance that we end up playing back to back Saturday and Sunday and Lidstrom and Dats still don't sound anywhere near 100%. That'd be a shitty way to start the SCF.

God the NHL is dumb. Why does it have to start either Saturday or the following Friday? Why can't it just start 2-3 days after the last series ends? For example, lets say the Wings win in 6. Start the SCF on either Monday or Tuesday. Why wait for Friday?

If I'm the Pens today, I'm praying for the Hawks to roll over this evening so that I'm not sitting on my butt for a week and a half getting rusty.

Last edited by Fidatelo : 05-27-2009 at 11:24 AM.
Old 05-27-2009, 11:28 AM   #1128
Fidatelo
Pro Starter

Dola

Despite the above scheduling complaints, I'm really excited for a Det/Pitt matchup though. This reminds me so much of the NYI/Edm matchups from 83 and 84, which are basically my earliest memories of the Stanley Cup. So much fun.
Old 05-27-2009, 11:34 AM   #1129
Honolulu_Blue
Hockey Boy

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeToxRox View Post

I agree with this. There's also the added factor that from tomorrow through next Wednesday afternoon, I will be out of the country. Given the contemplated schedule, if the Wings win tonight, I'd miss Games 1-3. No me gusta.

I don't think it's fair to blame the NHL entirely for a long delay if it happens. They aren't that stupid to think, "You know what'd be great for the playoffs? To have 6 days between the end of the Conference finals and the Stanley Cup finals! That'd be awesome!" I imagine the NHL will do what it can to get the Finals started within a few days of the end of the Wings/Hawks series, but NBC, I'm sure, has a lot of say in the matter. If there's a long delay, I think the blame falls more on NBC than the NHL.

NBC wants games on the weekends because they get more viewers and more viewers = More $$$$. Didn't someone mention that Conan O'Brien is scheduled to start his run on the "Tonight Show" next week or something? They certainly don't want NHL games bleeding into Conan's time slot on his Premier week.
Old 05-27-2009, 11:45 AM   #1130
Honolulu_Blue
Hockey Boy

No Datsyuk or Lidstrom (or Draper) for the Wings.

No Havlat or Khabibulin for the Hawks.
Old 05-27-2009, 11:46 AM   #1131
Dr. Sak
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Draft Dodger View Post

That made me spit my drink out!
Old 05-27-2009, 12:16 PM   #1132
samifan24
Pro Starter

I'll be very disappointed if the NHL gets knocked down by a steroids scandal just as it really hits its stride coming back from the lockout.
Old 05-27-2009, 01:06 PM   #1133
Dr. Sak
Grizzled Veteran

Old 05-27-2009, 01:35 PM   #1134
johnnyshaka
College Benchwarmer

Quote:
Dola

Despite the above scheduling complaints, I'm really excited for a Det/Pitt matchup though. This reminds me so much of the NYI/Edm matchups from 83 and 84, which are basically my earliest memories of the Stanley Cup. So much fun.

Awesome comparison...rings true on so many levels.
johnnyshaka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2009, 02:02 PM   #1135
Honolulu_Blue
Hockey Boy

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnnyshaka View Post
Awesome comparison...rings true on so many levels.

Yeah, I have seen this comparison floated out there a few times over the last couple of days. I reckon it will get a lot more play if the Wings make it.

If it happens, let's hope the result is a bit different than it was 25 years ago.
Old 05-27-2009, 06:36 PM   #1136
Wolfpack
Pro Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by gstelmack View Post
Agreed on all this. The sad part is I think I'd feel better if they'd lost in 7 to Boston, you just hate to get blown off the ice like the Canes did against the Pens, but when bounces were going the way they were you just know it was not meant to be. And you certainly can't have the defensive lapses the Canes did when things are going that way.

But it was nice to be back in the Conference Finals, let's see if they can get back here again next year.

Oddly enough, I felt better getting blown out. If the series had gone seven (regardless of how), I know I would have just absolutely been up all night last night. As it was, with the sweep and in the way it happened, I could just let it go knowing there really wasn't much use in it because it wasn't like one tiny play kept us from getting to the SCFs. A Boston loss would have been perhaps worse because Carolina was up 3-1 at one point in the series.
Wolfpack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2009, 06:41 PM   #1137
Young Drachma
Dark Cloud

I actually like the idea of back to back games. Not from the integrity of the game standpoint, but from a "at least it's on national tv and people might get engrossed and watch more," perspective.

They seriously need to work out a deal with ESPN or Fox. This is getting ridiculous.
Old 05-27-2009, 06:44 PM   #1138
DeToxRox
Head Coach

Ericsson is out also for Detroit with an appendectomy. They say he'll be ready for the next game.
Old 05-27-2009, 07:25 PM   #1139
Swaggs
Coordinator

Quote:

Is that Steely McBeam rooting for the 'Canes now, too?
Swaggs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2009, 08:02 PM   #1140
DeToxRox
Head Coach

That PK by Helmer was so reminiscent of Maltby in 2002 blocking like 4 shots on one PK without a stick.
Old 05-27-2009, 09:23 PM   #1141
DataKing
Pro Rookie

Awesome that Helm gets the OT game-winner...the kid deserves it and then some.
Allegiances:
Awards:
Old 05-27-2009, 09:28 PM   #1142
DeToxRox
Head Coach

The fact that Chelios was actually on the ice OT, and then attacking the net no less, had me thinking the worst but it's good. Sucks we have to see back to back games but it'll be fun.
Old 05-27-2009, 09:42 PM   #1143
Honolulu_Blue
Hockey Boy

Helm totally deserved to get the goal. He was great out there.

Well, thanks to this crazy schedule, we have back-to-back games on the weekend and I'll miss three games. Oh well...

Thoughts on the series. I think this will be very tough for the Wings, very tough for the following reasons:

1. Crosby and Malkin are playing at the top of their game right now. Both players are firing on all cylinders. Last year Malkin was in a fog for the entire finals. This will be a much stiffer challenge for Detroit.

2. Injuries. Ericsson has his appendix out? Lidstrom and Datsyuk are hurt. Draper is hurt. I expect the first three will play, but how healthy will they be? I've heard no update on Draper. Injuries aren't an excuse, just a fact of life in this 2 month grind. The Wings have been pretty lucky in the past with regard to injuries, but that luck seems to have run out. Pittsburgh seems pretty healthy at the moment.

3. Revenge and seasoning. The Penguins will be fueled by revenge and they have a year of seasoning under the belts. The Penguins were totally overwhelmed in Games 1 and 2 last year. The next 4 games were much closer and more indicative of the talent of both teams. The Penguins have been there now. That wont happen again.

4. The Hossa factor. Just smellls bad.
Old 05-27-2009, 10:01 PM   #1144
Schmidty
Coordinator

Well, that was fun!!

Bring on Cindy!!
Old 05-27-2009, 10:15 PM   #1145
RomaGoth
Favored Bitch #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Honolulu_Blue View Post
Helm totally deserved to get the goal. He was great out there.

Well, thanks to this crazy schedule, we have back-to-back games on the weekend and I'll miss three games. Oh well...

Thoughts on the series. I think this will be very tough for the Wings, very tough for the following reasons:

1. Crosby and Malkin are playing at the top of their game right now. Both players are firing on all cylinders. Last year Malkin was in a fog for the entire finals. This will be a much stiffer challenge for Detroit.

2. Injuries. Ericsson has his appendix out? Lidstrom and Datsyuk are hurt. Draper is hurt. I expect the first three will play, but how healthy will they be? I've heard no update on Draper. Injuries aren't an excuse, just a fact of life in this 2 month grind. The Wings have been pretty lucky in the past with regard to injuries, but that luck seems to have run out. Pittsburgh seems pretty healthy at the moment.

3. Revenge and seasoning. The Penguins will be fueled by revenge and they have a year of seasoning under the belts. The Penguins were totally overwhelmed in Games 1 and 2 last year. The next 4 games were much closer and more indicative of the talent of both teams. The Penguins have been there now. That wont happen again.

4. The Hossa factor. Just smellls bad.

I agree with you on all of these factors. However, I still do not believe the Pens have the depth that Detroit has. The Wings can roll four lines and can score from any of them, while the Pens really only have three or four players whom can score consistently. This series may go seven games, but my pick is Wings in six again.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dark Cloud
None of this shit is personal. It's the internet.
RomaGoth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2009, 10:26 PM   #1146
Fidatelo
Pro Starter

I have no idea how the finals will go. I suspect the stupid Red Wings will win again, but I'm hoping the fact they are banged up and the finals are starting within a reasonable amount of time will give the Penguins a shot. As much as I think Crosby needs to lay off the whining, he is a heck of a player and I'd like to see him and the Pens take the Cup from Detroit much like Gretzky and the Oilers did back in '84.

That said, as a hockey fan the most important thing to me is that most of the games are exciting, and that we go 6 or 7 games. It's been a great playoffs so far, and I hope it finishes on the same foot.

So, I'm going to cross my fingers and pick Pens in 7.
Old 05-27-2009, 10:28 PM   #1147
Honolulu_Blue
Hockey Boy

Quote:

We can officially welcome you back into the fold, Sak. We're good. We're good. It's nice to have you back!
Old 05-27-2009, 10:31 PM   #1148
Honolulu_Blue
Hockey Boy

Quote:
I have no idea how the finals will go. I suspect the stupid Red Wings will win again, but I'm hoping the fact they are banged up and the finals are starting within a reasonable amount of time will give the Penguins a shot. As much as I think Crosby needs to lay off the whining, he is a heck of a player and I'd like to see him and the Pens take the Cup from Detroit much like Gretzky and the Oilers did back in '84.

That said, as a hockey fan the most important thing to me is that most of the games are exciting, and that we go 6 or 7 games. It's been a great playoffs so far, and I hope it finishes on the same foot.

So, I'm going to cross my fingers and pick Pens in 7.

But Crosby and the Penguins are still young. They will have plenty of opportunities to win it in the future.

Think about poor, old Nick Lidstrom. A venerable gentleman of the game. How many cracks does he have left at it? And what about good, ole Marian Hossa who gave up so many riches for an opportunity to win the Cup?

And what about Jonathan Ericsson? He was the last player picked in the draft. What a great story it'd be for him to finally get a chance to raise the Cup.

Have a heart!
Old 05-27-2009, 10:32 PM   #1149
samifan24
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by DataKing View Post
Awesome that Helm gets the OT game-winner...the kid deserves it and then some.

He's a great player. I'm not a Wings fan but I'm becoming a Darren Helm fan. How did Detroit not have a regular place in their lineup for this kid all year?
Old 05-27-2009, 10:35 PM   #1150
Honolulu_Blue
Hockey Boy

Quote:
Originally Posted by samifan24 View Post
He's a great player. I'm not a Wings fan but I'm becoming a Darren Helm fan. How did Detroit not have a regular place in their lineup for this kid all year?

A combination of no cap room and not being able to send any regular player down without having to clear waivers. They already lost a very good young defense in Kyle Quincey at the beginning of the year because of the latter problem and didn't want to lose anyone else because of it.

Heck, Jonathan Ericsson, who has been on Detroit's top defense pairing in a lot of games this post season, didn't have a regular place in the lineup for the same reasons.

They'll both be there next year for sure.

Last edited by Honolulu_Blue : 05-27-2009 at 10:37 PM.