Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Archives > FOFC Archive
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 05-08-2009, 12:54 PM   #1101
Mizzou B-ball fan
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by ISiddiqui View Post
Well, I'd say that either Thome is incorrect, or Pedro Martinez had something else (control?) that makes him vastly superior to Greinke.

I can't agree with the control part. Watch a Greinke game and count the number of pitches where the catcher moves the glove from the target position. You probably won't need more than the 10 fingers you have to count up the target misses. If Greinke walks a guy, it's usually because he was trying to pitch around a guy and not because he was wild.
Mizzou B-ball fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2009, 12:54 PM   #1102
MikeVic
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fighter of Foo View Post
Nine starts dude, not seven years.

Page not found » Joe Posnanski

Dating back to last year, Greinke has won nine consecutive starts, and in those nine starts he has an 0.69 ERA. How good is that? Well, legendary. There have been 50 pitchers since 1954 who have won nine or more consecutive starts. Greinke’s is the second-best.

He's the next Cal Eldred.
MikeVic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2009, 12:55 PM   #1103
lordscarlet
Pro Starter

Quote:
No. Greinke is going to have to show me he can come close to Pedro's dominant peak before you can even put them in the same sentance. Pedro Martinez is like Walter Johnson, you don't throw around the comparisons that easily.

I'm sure I've said that before, but there has been no other pitcher in history as dominant at his peak as Pedro was in his 7 year span.

Well, I'd say that either Thome is incorrect, or Pedro Martinez had something else (control?) that makes him vastly superior to Greinke.

You think Pedro was more dominant than Walter Johnson?

"...the better half of the Moores..." -cthomer5000
lordscarlet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2009, 01:47 PM   #1104
ISiddiqui
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Travis View Post
Dola, obviously we all have our own opinions on how big of a sample size should be involved before those sorts of comparisons start getting made, but whether it's the interpretation of the time period involved that I'm reading as the biggest issue here and I'd bet Thome is talking about a much smaller sample size (ie: right here, right now) than what you're looking at ISiddiqui.

I can get that... but I think you hit it on the head, that I think this sample size is waaay too small to start comparing to one of the greatest pitchers of All Time.
Old 05-08-2009, 02:00 PM   #1105
ISiddiqui
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by lordscarlet View Post
You think Pedro was more dominant than Walter Johnson?

At his peak? Oh yes. From 1997 to 2003 (7 years), Martinez has FIVE season of over 200 ERA+. One season (2001), he was injured and only threw 116 innings so he had an ERA+ of 189. 1998 was his down season during that run, with the ERA+ of 163.

Over the 7 years, Pedro Martinez had an ERA+ of 213, with a .766 winning percentage (with 199 starts), a WHIP of 0.940, A K/9 of 11.3 and a K/BB of 5.59.

Johnson's best 8 year period (5 200+ ERA+ seasons - I added one more year to get another 200+ ERA+ season for Johnson) falls short (1912-19), ERA+ of 185, winning percentage of .655 in 282 starts, WHIP of 0.938, K/9 of 5.6 and a K/BB of 3.30.
Old 05-08-2009, 02:06 PM   #1106
larrymcg421
Head Coach

I don't think someone has to go on a 7 year run like Pedro's before it makes sense to start the comparisons, but I don't think it's unreasonable to expect the guy to finish at least one season at that level before you compare them.

Franchise Portfolio Draft Winner
Fictional Character Draft Winner
Television Family Draft Winner
Build Your Own Hollywood Studio Draft Winner
larrymcg421 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2009, 02:23 PM   #1107
Fighter of Foo
College Prospect

Quote:
Originally Posted by larrymcg421 View Post
I don't think someone has to go on a 7 year run like Pedro's before it makes sense to start the comparisons, but I don't think it's unreasonable to expect the guy to finish at least one season at that level before you compare them.

Greinke's start this season is the equivalent of peak Pedro performance. What is wrong with saying that?
Fighter of Foo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2009, 02:34 PM   #1108
miked
College Starter

Quote:
Greinke's start this season is the equivalent of peak Pedro performance. What is wrong with saying that?

What do you people have against sample size...he's your friend! Seven starts vs. several seasons...come on people.

Last edited by miked : 05-08-2009 at 02:34 PM.
miked is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2009, 02:36 PM   #1109
larrymcg421
Head Coach

Quote:

Because that's not what was said at all. The comment that started all of this was Thome saying Greinke is just as good as Pedro in his prime. And the counter is that it's ridiculous to claim someone is as good as Pedro because of a 9 game stretch.

And even if we go with your comment, the problem is that the sample size is too small to be very meaningful. I mean, you could just as easily say that Greinke isn't as good as Orel Hershiser was in his prime, since Hershiser had a longer scoreless streak.

Jordan Schafer homered in his first career at bat this year. At that point he was playing much better than Babe Ruth in his prime.

Old 05-08-2009, 02:47 PM   #1110
Fighter of Foo
College Prospect

Quote:
Originally Posted by miked View Post
What do you people have against sample size...he's your friend! Seven starts vs. several seasons...come on people.

I am saying Greinke's last seven starts have been pretty fucking special. What do you have against facts? Or are you just arguing for the sake of it?
Old 05-08-2009, 02:48 PM   #1111
lordscarlet
Pro Starter

Quote:
At his peak? Oh yes. From 1997 to 2003 (7 years), Martinez has FIVE season of over 200 ERA+. One season (2001), he was injured and only threw 116 innings so he had an ERA+ of 189. 1998 was his down season during that run, with the ERA+ of 163.

Over the 7 years, Pedro Martinez had an ERA+ of 213, with a .766 winning percentage (with 199 starts), a WHIP of 0.940, A K/9 of 11.3 and a K/BB of 5.59.

Johnson's best 8 year period (5 200+ ERA+ seasons - I added one more year to get another 200+ ERA+ season for Johnson) falls short (1912-19), ERA+ of 185, winning percentage of .655 in 282 starts, WHIP of 0.938, K/9 of 5.6 and a K/BB of 3.30.

I don't really see how you can even compare.

Old 05-08-2009, 02:48 PM   #1112
Travis
Pro Rookie

This is where semantics come in. If Thome was saying that Greinke, right now, was pitching like Pedro in his prime, then it's hard to argue that. If he was trying to convince you that he's going to keep this up and do it for 2-3 years, then yeah, it's a lot easier to argue against.

Again, we all have our own personal scale on when we'd consider it long enough to compare guys, but a lot of people fall into the trap of making player comparisons when a guy is on the sort of streak Greinke is. Doesn't mean it's any less valid, and trying to compare that to one AB for a positional player is going over the top the other way. It's not like we're talking 1-2 starts for Greinke, he's had a tremendous start to the season (building off a pretty nice finish to last year) and until he falters, the attention and comparisons are just going to grow.

I don't think anybody has made the argument that he has a better career or prolonged peak period than Pedro, just that he's at that level right now.

And no matter if you agree with that or not, I think his performances so far are something we should all just sit back and appreciate. I've been spoiled watching a lot of Doc Halladay starts and pitching as dominant as Greinke is doing right now is just fun to watch.
Old 05-08-2009, 02:52 PM   #1113
larrymcg421
Head Coach

Quote:
I am saying Greinke's last seven starts have been pretty fucking special. What do you have against facts? Or are you just arguing for the sake of it?

But no one disagrees with that statement. It is pretty fucking special. We disagree with "Greinke is as good as Pedro in his prime". That is a ridiculous statement.

Old 05-08-2009, 02:56 PM   #1114
lordscarlet
Pro Starter

Dola:

in addition, over that period Johnson averaged 9.75 innings per start, Martinez 7.02 innings per start.

Johnson had 253 complete games, Martinez 34.

60 shutouts for Johnson, 11 for Pedro.

We're just not dealing with equal footing here.

Old 05-08-2009, 02:56 PM   #1115
molson
General Manager

Quote:

The question was whether he was more "dominating", which implies a comparison to his peers. Obviously, back in Johnson's day, pitchers pitched way more often than every 5th day. But that wasn't just Johnson, that was everybody, so it doesn't really say anything to his "domination" of the league.

Last edited by molson : 05-08-2009 at 02:57 PM.
molson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2009, 02:58 PM   #1116
molson
General Manager

Quote:
Dola:

in addition, over that period Johnson averaged 9.75 innings per start, Martinez 7.02 innings per start.

Johnson had 253 complete games, Martinez 34.

60 shutouts for Johnson, 11 for Pedro.

We're just not dealing with equal footing here.

You have to compare Johnson relative to his peers v. Pedro relative to his peers. ERA+ is a decent tool to do that.
Old 05-08-2009, 02:58 PM   #1117
Travis
Pro Rookie

Quote:
But no one disagrees with that statement. It is pretty fucking special. We disagree with "Greinke is as good as Pedro in his prime". That is a ridiculous statement.

Okay, and I mean this in all seriousness, how long would he have to pitch at the level he's at right now for you to consider the comparison valid?

Keep in mind that I'm not saying that we'd be saying that Greinke's stat line for 7 years falls in line with Pedro's, but just that you'd consider the comparison to be acceptable (as I'm assuming that the comparison would be valid before the body of work is as close to identical as possible).
Old 05-08-2009, 02:58 PM   #1118
Fighter of Foo
College Prospect

Quote:
Because that's not what was said at all. The comment that started all of this was Thome saying Greinke is just as good as Pedro in his prime. And the counter is that it's ridiculous to claim someone is as good as Pedro because of a 9 game stretch.

And even if we go with your comment, the problem is that the sample size is too small to be very meaningful. I mean, you could just as easily say that Greinke isn't as good as Orel Hershiser was in his prime, since Hershiser had a longer scoreless streak.

Jordan Schafer homered in his first career at bat this year. At that point he was playing much better than Babe Ruth in his prime.

You, me and everyone else is fully aware that Greinke's only been doing it for however number of starts and not however many years. Duly noted. Doesn't change how awesome he is pitching or how wonderful it is to watch.
Old 05-08-2009, 03:00 PM   #1119
Fighter of Foo
College Prospect

Quote:

Have you seen Greinke pitch this season (not counting highlights)? If not, I don't think you're qualified to judge.
Old 05-08-2009, 03:00 PM   #1120
lordscarlet
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by molson View Post
You have to compare Johnson relative to his peers v. Pedro relative to his peers. ERA+ is a decent tool to do that.

Doesn't ERA+ compare to the ballpark, not your peers?

Old 05-08-2009, 03:01 PM   #1121
larrymcg421
Head Coach

Quote:
Okay, and I mean this in all seriousness, how long would he have to pitch at the level he's at right now for you to consider the comparison valid?

Keep in mind that I'm not saying that we'd be saying that Greinke's stat line for 7 years falls in line with Pedro's, but just that you'd consider the comparison to be acceptable (as I'm assuming that the comparison would be valid before the body of work is as close to identical as possible).

I've already said earlier that if he finishes just one season at Pedro's peak level, then start the comparisons.

Let's not forget that when Valenzuela started 8-0 with an ERA of 0.50, he still only finished the year with an ERA+ of 135.

Last edited by larrymcg421 : 05-08-2009 at 03:02 PM.
Old 05-08-2009, 03:01 PM   #1122
ISiddiqui
Hall Of Famer

Quote:

A) what molson said - dominating means a comparison to peers

B) as I said, I added one more season to Johnson so I could get him another 200+ ERA+ season (otherwise would have been less)
Old 05-08-2009, 03:02 PM   #1123
ISiddiqui
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Doesn't ERA+ compare to the ballpark, not your peers?

Bzzzt... ERA+ compares to ballpark and era effects. It is supposed to be a normalized statistic, which is why it is good to compare players from different eras.
Old 05-08-2009, 03:02 PM   #1124
Logan
Head Coach

Quote:
You, me and everyone else is fully aware that Greinke's only been doing it for however number of starts and not however many years. Duly noted. Doesn't change how awesome he is pitching or how wonderful it is to watch.

On a scale of 1 to 10, how much do you enjoy taking part in an argument that is completely unrelated to what everyone else in this thread is arguing?
Logan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2009, 03:05 PM   #1125
molson
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by Logan View Post
On a scale of 1 to 10, how much do you enjoy taking part in an argument that is completely unrelated to what everyone else in this thread is arguing?

I'm going to play devil's advocate, just so there's an actual debate here.

I don't think Greinke's awesome, and I don't think his pitching is wonderful to watch.
Old 05-08-2009, 03:09 PM   #1126
Travis
Pro Rookie

Quote:
I've already said earlier that if he finishes just one season at Pedro's peak level, then start the comparisons.

Let's not forget that when Valenzuela started 8-0 with an ERA of 0.50, he still only finished the year with an ERA+ of 135.

Sounds good. I suppose a part of it is your implication with the comparison. I feel pretty comfortable hearing that Greinke is having a Pedro like stretch right now. If he does it for an entire season then I'd be bumping up the comparison a notch in seriousness (ie: would you consider him the next Pedro at that point rather than just a guy who has had a dominant stretch or two, etc).

Obviously there have been a lot of guys in the past that have had great stretches and not been able to keep it up, doesn't mean for that stretch that they weren't as filthy/dominant as the bigger names were (who were just able to do it over much longer periods of time). Doesn't (to me) make those comparisons any less valid for the time periods they're referring to.

That said, I hope he keeps it up. I think having a guy like that setting the pace right now provides some motivation for Halladay (I get the impression that not only does Doc want to give the Jays a chance to win every time he takes the mound, but he likes to be doing it in a fashion that very few others are able to achieve). The more he hears about how well Greinke is pitching is likely to drive him to be that much better.
Old 05-08-2009, 03:10 PM   #1127
Travis
Pro Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by molson View Post
I'm going to play devil's advocate, just so there's an actual debate here.

I don't think Greinke's awesome, and I don't think his pitching is wonderful to watch.

In that case, do you prefer to watch knuckleballers or do you wish David Wells was still pitching?
Old 05-08-2009, 03:11 PM   #1128
lordscarlet
Pro Starter

Quote:
A) what molson said - dominating means a comparison to peers

B) as I said, I added one more season to Johnson so I could get him another 200+ ERA+ season (otherwise would have been less)

Quote:
Bzzzt... ERA+ compares to ballpark and era effects. It is supposed to be a normalized statistic, which is why it is good to compare players from different eras.

I think that can only go so far, though, personally. You can easily compare to peers -- but when you start using derived statistics in an attempt to compare eras, it just gets dicey, IMO. Johnson had the most career shutouts in baseball, the most wins AND losses in 1-0 games, 3 shutouts in 3 days.

I really just stick to my original statement, which is that it is very hard to compare. Bringing out things like ERA+ for guys that pitched 6+ decades apart is really just a statistician's wet dream. I really don't know which is better, but the things Johnson did just will never happen again. A pitcher like Pedro won't even be given a chance to do the things that pitchers did back then. I think they were both the most dominant pitchers of their time during their peeks, and that's the most you can say.

Old 05-08-2009, 03:13 PM   #1129
lordscarlet
Pro Starter

Oh, and we're all forgetting the guy that will overshadow all of these other guys.. Stephen Strasburg! :P

Old 05-08-2009, 03:18 PM   #1130
Atocep
Coordinator

Quote:
Oh, and we're all forgetting the guy that will overshadow all of these other guys.. Stephen Strasburg! :P

Jim Thome says he's better the Walter Johnson.
Atocep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2009, 03:18 PM   #1131
larrymcg421
Head Coach

Quote:
Have you seen Greinke pitch this season (not counting highlights)? If not, I don't think you're qualified to judge.

No, but my real life name is Paul Konerko and I've faced Greinke more times than any other hitter, including Jim Thome, and that means you can't argue with anything I say.

Old 05-08-2009, 03:23 PM   #1132
lordscarlet
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atocep View Post
Jim Thome says he's better the Walter Johnson.

You should hear what Tony Gwynn has to say about him!

Old 05-08-2009, 03:24 PM   #1133
larrymcg421
Head Coach

Quote:
Sounds good. I suppose a part of it is your implication with the comparison. I feel pretty comfortable hearing that Greinke is having a Pedro like stretch right now. If he does it for an entire season then I'd be bumping up the comparison a notch in seriousness (ie: would you consider him the next Pedro at that point rather than just a guy who has had a dominant stretch or two, etc).

Right, but again the argument keeps being changed. "is as good as Pedro" is much different than "is having a Pedro like stretch", and I certainly wouldn't argue with the latter comment.

Old 05-08-2009, 03:24 PM   #1134
Fighter of Foo
College Prospect

Quote:
No, but my real life name is Paul Konerko and I've faced Greinke more times than any other hitter, including Jim Thome, and that means you can't argue with anything I say.

Are you always a retard or are you just playing one in this thread?
Old 05-08-2009, 03:31 PM   #1135
Atocep
Coordinator

I'm jumping in late, but I haven't had net access until about 30 minutes ago.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mizzou B-ball fan View Post
So you're of the opinion that Jim Thome is not better equipped than you or I to judge the similarities of two pitchers he's faced with regularity? Interesting. Certainly, it's nothing more than his opinion, but it's a knowledgeable opinion given the subject.

So, given the subject, Joe Morgan is a knowledgeable analyst? Steve Phillips?

Ronny Paulino and Jack Wilson both said Eckstein is more dangerous in clutch situations than Albert Pujols. So that's a statement we have to consider considering the source now.

Greinke has had a fantastic start to the season. Historic on some levels. But to compare him, as a pitcher, to Pedro at his pead is absurd even when you consider the fact that Greinke is an All-star pitcher that will likely contend for multiple cy young awards. Thats still nothing compared to how special Pedro was.

Last edited by Atocep : 05-08-2009 at 03:32 PM.
Old 05-08-2009, 03:35 PM   #1136
larrymcg421
Head Coach

Quote:
Are you always a retard or are you just playing one in this thread?

So you're just giving up on the argument then?

Old 05-08-2009, 03:39 PM   #1137
Travis
Pro Rookie

Quote:
Right, but again the argument keeps being changed. "is as good as Pedro" is much different than "is having a Pedro like stretch", and I certainly wouldn't argue with the latter comment.

That's why I'm stepping out of this one. I don't think I've seen anybody saying Greinke is as good as Pedro on a career scale, just that he's on that level *right now*. How long that comparison will be valid for, who knows, hopefully a while, or maybe he falls back down to earth with his next start. Either way, I'm hoping we talk more about whether knuckleballers or David Wells are prettier to watch pitch
Old 05-08-2009, 03:44 PM   #1138
lordscarlet
Pro Starter

Quote:
That's why I'm stepping out of this one. I don't think I've seen anybody saying Greinke is as good as Pedro on a career scale, just that he's on that level *right now*. How long that comparison will be valid for, who knows, hopefully a while, or maybe he falls back down to earth with his next start. Either way, I'm hoping we talk more about whether knuckleballers or David Wells are prettier to watch pitch

Is David Wells drunk or sober in this situation?

Old 05-08-2009, 03:55 PM   #1139
samifan24
Pro Starter

Greinke can pitch. I don't care if someone thinks he's better than so and so or worse than so and so. Just watch his starts and you might see something special. That's worth watching, in my opinion.
Old 05-08-2009, 03:58 PM   #1140
Travis
Pro Rookie

Quote:
Is David Wells drunk or sober in this situation?

Hrmm, what better?

Drunk Wells throwing a knuckleball

Sober Canseco head butting a fly ball over the wall for a home run while trying to make the catch in LF?
Old 05-08-2009, 05:23 PM   #1141
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

Just to chime in on the broadcaster talk, I have watched a few DBacks games on MLB Extra Innings and I really enjoy Mark Grace.
Lathum is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2009, 06:12 PM   #1142
Mr. Sparkle
High School JV

ARod hits a 3 run HR on the first pitch he sees.
Old 05-08-2009, 06:18 PM   #1143
Jas_lov
College Starter

A-Rod's back- One pitch, one 3 run HR.
Jas_lov is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2009, 06:52 PM   #1144
sterlingice
Hall Of Famer

We probably should stop this pissing match as it started with a statement that might or might not even make it into MBBF's top 3 hyperbole of the week. Then people suggested a couple of other ways to interpret it. Which leads to a 50 post crapfest where 5 or 6 different people are arguing 2 different arguments but still shouting them at each other. No one is arguing that Greinke's 6 or 9 starts = Pedro's 7 years. Not even MBBF. I don't think.

Anyhoo... back to baseball! Royals start on a 5 game west coast road trip with 3 in Anaheim followed by 2 in Oakland. Meche, Greinke, and Davies for the Angels series.

SI

Janos: "Only America could produce an imbecile of your caliber!"
Freakazoid: "That's because we make lots of things better than other people!"

Last edited by sterlingice : 05-08-2009 at 06:52 PM.
sterlingice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2009, 08:18 PM   #1145
DeToxRox
Head Coach

Tigs up 1-0 in the top of the 9th, 1 on for Cleveland, 1 out, and Sizemore jack sone to CF and Curtis Granderson makes the best catch of the season considering it was a walk off HR he saved. Holy shit.
DeToxRox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2009, 08:19 PM   #1146
DeToxRox
Head Coach

And Verlander K's the next batter for the CG shutout.
DeToxRox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2009, 08:22 PM   #1147
Schmidty
Coordinator

That catch was unbelievable, especially with the game on the line.
Old 05-08-2009, 09:30 PM   #1148
sterlingice
Hall Of Famer

Amazing catch by Granderson. They just showed it on MLBN

Ryan Braun with a 2-run homer in the bottom of the 8th to turn a 2-1 deficit into a 3-2 lead for the Brewers vs the Cubs.

SI

Janos: "Only America could produce an imbecile of your caliber!"
Freakazoid: "That's because we make lots of things better than other people!"

Last edited by sterlingice : 05-08-2009 at 09:31 PM.
sterlingice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2009, 09:44 PM   #1149
lordscarlet
Pro Starter

The Nats are holding on to a slim (for the Nats) lead in Arizona. And Zimmerman extended his hitting streak to 26 games.

I don't know if I have ever seen a Nats lineup with 6 over .300 and the rest at .250 or higher (including the P). They're 4th in AVG, 2nd in OBP and 2nd in Walks.

Old 05-08-2009, 09:49 PM   #1150
Atocep
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by sterlingice View Post
Amazing catch by Granderson. They just showed it on MLBN

Ryan Braun with a 2-run homer in the bottom of the 8th to turn a 2-1 deficit into a 3-2 lead for the Brewers vs the Cubs.

SI

I'm so glad someone else gets to deal with Heilman's bullshit this year.