Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Archives > FOFC Archive
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 01-09-2009, 02:35 PM   #1101
Draft Dodger
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Honolulu_Blue View Post
I cant get enough of this type of stuff. It's gold!

"I think [Sergei Kostitsyn] is not Belarussian now, he is French because I never fight with Belarussian guys," Grabovski said. "I don't know why he wants to fight with me. If he wants to fight, we'll go in the street and every minute of every day I'll wait for him and we'll fight."

I don't know much about this feud, but Grabovski sounds like a cool guy to have on a team. But it sounds like he wasn't very liked by the coach / players / fans in Montreal.
Old 01-09-2009, 02:40 PM   #1102
Maple Leafs
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Draft Dodger View Post
I don't know much about this feud, but Grabovski sounds like a cool guy to have on a team.
I base this on nothing other than watching the way he carries himself, but he actually seems like kind of a dick. He just gives off that vibe.

As I said in a blog post, Grabovski-Kostitsyn would have made Semin-Staal look like Clark-McSorley.
Old 01-09-2009, 02:42 PM   #1103
Honolulu_Blue
Hockey Boy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maple Leafs View Post
I base this on nothing other than watching the way he carries himself, but he actually seems like kind of a dick. He just gives off that vibe.

As I said in a blog post, Grabovski-Kostitsyn would have made Semin-Staal look like Clark-McSorley.

Hopefully, we'll get to see if that bears out on Feb. 5. That Semin-Staal "fight" was one of the funniest things I've seen in a long, long time. I watched it about a dozen times and it still didn't get old.
Steve Yzerman: 1,755 points in 1,514 regular season games. 185 points in 196 postseason games. A First-Team All-Star, Conn Smythe Trophy winner, Selke Trophy winner, Masterton Trophy winner, member of the Hockey Hall of Fame, Olympic gold medallist, and a three-time Stanley Cup Champion. Longest serving captain of one team in the history of the NHL (19 seasons).
Honolulu_Blue is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2009, 02:56 PM   #1104
samifan24
Pro Starter

Yeah, what the hell is up with Grabovski and Kostitsyn? Why do they hate each other so much? Why is Grabovski pushing linesmen around? Grow up.
Old 01-09-2009, 06:26 PM   #1105
Dr. Sak
Grizzled Veteran

By the way, Leaf Fans, congrats on 500 months of Cup-free hockey!
Dr. Sak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2009, 09:23 PM   #1106
TurnerONU22
High School Varsity

Steve Mason for the Calder!!!

or even better....

Steve Mason for the Vezina!!!

The Maseiah basically puts the Syracuse Crun......Columbus Blue Jackets on his back tonight as they become the 2nd team to beat the Capitals in regulation at the Verizon Center. 45 saves for Mason as he made some incredible stops throughout the evening and the Jackets stay in the race with a 3-0 win.
TurnerONU22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2009, 04:35 PM   #1107
Suburban Rhythm
Pro Starter

First Sundin chooses, and now...

Shanahan to the Devils.
Suburban Rhythm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2009, 09:20 PM   #1108
DeToxRox
Head Coach

Gotta give props to my boy Matt Hunwick who's family I've known since I was like 15. EAT IT JUSTIN WILLIAMS!

Last edited by DeToxRox : 01-10-2009 at 09:25 PM.
DeToxRox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2009, 09:55 PM   #1109
samifan24
Pro Starter

Hunwick really hammered Williams with that big right. Haha, Jack Edwards gets so excited.
Old 01-11-2009, 11:43 AM   #1110
DeToxRox
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by samifan24 View Post
Hunwick really hammered Williams with that big right. Haha, Jack Edwards gets so excited.

Ha yes. It's funny because Hunwick (and Williams for that matter) is not a fighter, but that was a good shot.

I talked to his brother yesterday and he was telling me Matt wouldn't shut up about it. Apparently he told Chara he'd start cleaning up his messes.
Old 01-11-2009, 11:44 AM   #1111
DeToxRox
Head Coach

Wings are playing as good as they have since the Summer in the last two weeks. Last night they dominated Buffalo, but Miller was outstanding with 45 or so saves. Still, they got a big 3-1 win and are really beginning to exert themselves defensivley.
Old 01-11-2009, 03:27 PM   #1112
samifan24
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeToxRox View Post
Ha yes. It's funny because Hunwick (and Williams for that matter) is not a fighter, but that was a good shot.

I talked to his brother yesterday and he was telling me Matt wouldn't shut up about it. Apparently he told Chara he'd start cleaning up his messes.

Hunwick has been a good contributor when the Bruins have needed it most this season.
Old 01-11-2009, 06:37 PM   #1113
RendeR
Coordinator

Quote:
Wings are playing as good as they have since the Summer in the last two weeks. Last night they dominated Buffalo, but Miller was outstanding with 45 or so saves. Still, they got a big 3-1 win and are really beginning to exert themselves defensivley.

I suppose we just have to let Detroit have the Red Wings. I mean they can't suck at EVERY sport...can they?
RendeR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2009, 07:11 PM   #1114
Travis
Pro Rookie

And if anybody needs a reminder of why MacTavish needs to move on, as Hemsky misses his 5th or 6th game with a concussion, Liam Reddox makes his 3rd or 4th start on the top line at RW.

Now don't get me wrong, I like Reddox, but the guy tops out as a third line checker, right now being a 4th line energy type player who is pretty responsible in his own end, by no means a guy who should be logging first unit time.

It'd be one thing if we didn't have any puck handling skill players to put on that line to try and play Hemsky's role, but they have Robert Nilsson, Sam Gagner, Marc Pouliot and Gilbert Brule on the big club right now with Robbie Schremp on the farm.

It's getting really hard to watch this team play and seeing the lines the coach comes up with and his apparently willingness to stick with a first unit PP made up of nothing but shooters (Penner/Horcoff/Cole/Souray/Visnovsky) with a bunch of playmakers on the second unit (Nilsson/Gagner/Cogliano/Gilbert/Grebeshkov). Second unit has scored two PP goals in the past week with the top unit maybe not even having that many shots on net.

Frustrating doesn't even begin to describe it at this point.
Old 01-11-2009, 09:03 PM   #1115
Honolulu_Blue
Hockey Boy

Quote:
Originally Posted by RendeR View Post
I suppose we just have to let Detroit have the Red Wings. I mean they can't suck at EVERY sport...can they?

Good point. It's not like the Pistons have been all that successful or that the Tigers were in the World Series a couple of years ago or anything...
Steve Yzerman: 1,755 points in 1,514 regular season games. 185 points in 196 postseason games. A First-Team All-Star, Conn Smythe Trophy winner, Selke Trophy winner, Masterton Trophy winner, member of the Hockey Hall of Fame, Olympic gold medallist, and a three-time Stanley Cup Champion. Longest serving captain of one team in the history of the NHL (19 seasons).
Old 01-11-2009, 11:04 PM   #1116
Wolfpack
Pro Rookie

Quote:
Gotta give props to my boy Matt Hunwick who's family I've known since I was like 15. EAT IT JUSTIN WILLIAMS!

*sigh* Story of my sports day yesterday in some respects (and day in general even). Had to go into work in the morning, then flipped between this disaster and State's whipping at the hands of Clemson in basketball on the radio in the car on the way back home before personally witnessing both demolitions on TV from my couch. Capped it with the Panthers getting humiliated last night. Great day, let me tell you.

At any rate, since I was so kind to point out that the Canes were on a four-game win streak before losing at Florida the other night and then plainly getting embarrassed yesterday, perhaps a reverse jinx could work?

Last edited by Wolfpack : 01-11-2009 at 11:05 PM.
Wolfpack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2009, 10:09 AM   #1117
Draft Dodger
Coordinator

hey ML, did you happen to see that Raycroft is 9-1?
Old 01-12-2009, 11:09 AM   #1118
Maple Leafs
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Draft Dodger View Post
hey ML, did you happen to see that Raycroft is 9-1?
Fuck you.
Old 01-12-2009, 11:26 AM   #1119
bbor
Pro Starter

Quote:
Fuck you.

I agree

Now that I've cracked and made that admission, I wonder if I'm only a couple of steps away from wanting to tongue-kiss Jaromir Jagr and give Bobby Clarke a blowjob.
bbor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2009, 03:16 PM   #1120
DeToxRox
Head Coach

Winter Classic drew most viewers since 1975
by The Associated Press
Monday January 12, 2009, 4:06 PM

NEW YORK - The Winter Classic drew the biggest television audience for a regular-season NHL game in nearly 34 years.

The Detroit Red Wings' 6-4 win over the Chicago Blackhawks at Wrigley Field on New Year's Day attracted an average of 4.4 million U.S. viewers on NBC, the network said Monday.

That's the most since a Philadelphia-New York Rangers game on Feb. 23, 1975, according to Nielsen Media Research.

Great for the NHL. Was a fantastic game to watch. Now let's book Detroit/Toronto in the Big House, and I'll go pick up Maple Leafs personally so he can see what an NHL team is like.
Old 01-12-2009, 03:26 PM   #1121
samifan24
Pro Starter

My guess is Boston-Montreal at Fenway Park.
Old 01-12-2009, 03:29 PM   #1122
DeToxRox
Head Coach

Quote:
My guess is Boston-Montreal at Fenway Park.

My guess is New York/Boston at the new Yankee Stadium next year. People keep saying Fenway is impossible right now with the construction in the offseasons. I do want to see a game there though.

Another rumor was Flyers/Pens in Happy Valley, which would break the NHL attendance record until they decide they want Wings/Leafs at the Big House.
Old 01-12-2009, 04:01 PM   #1123
Fidatelo
Pro Starter

This might be a dumb question, but what/where is "The Big House"?
"Breakfast? Breakfast schmekfast, look at the score for God's sake. It's only the second period and I'm winning 12-2. Breakfasts come and go, Rene, but Hartford, the Whale, they only beat Vancouver maybe once or twice in a lifetime."
Fidatelo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2009, 04:03 PM   #1124
samifan24
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fidatelo View Post
This might be a dumb question, but what/where is "The Big House"?

It's the football stadium at the University of Michigan.
Old 01-12-2009, 05:39 PM   #1125
Suburban Rhythm
Pro Starter

Quote:
Another rumor was Flyers/Pens in Happy Valley, which would break the NHL attendance record until they decide they want Wings/Leafs at the Big House.

I think they'd shy away from repeating teams this early.

Plus, we'll have to wait at least 3 more years now. The old man there wouldn't let them ice over his field.
Old 01-13-2009, 01:42 AM   #1126
Chief Rum
Hall Of Famer

Ducks-Kings at the Rose Bowl. Just to freak everyone out.

I would rather be wrong...Than live in the shadows of your song...My mind is open wide...And now I'm ready to start...You're not sure...You open the door...And step out into the dark...Now I'm ready.
Chief Rum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2009, 06:09 AM   #1127
Dr. Sak
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suburban Rhythm View Post
I think they'd shy away from repeating teams this early.

Plus, we'll have to wait at least 3 more years now. The old man there wouldn't let them ice over his field.

Parking would be a bit of a problem too. All the lots that are fields, you couldn't park in during winter.
Old 01-16-2009, 12:32 PM   #1128
DeToxRox
Head Coach

http://www.tsn.ca/blogs/darren_dreger/?id=263297

Quote:
The New York Islanders are going to Kansas City.

The Islanders have agreed in principle with the Los Angeles Kings to play an exhibition game in Kansas City in September.

This may not seem like that big of a deal in light of the fact other NHL teams have used Kansas City in recent years as a neutral cite for preseason games.

However, according to league sources this game could be perceived as a veiled threat of potential relocation if plans for a new arena on Long Island aren't soon finalized.

Since purchasing the team in 2000, Charles Wang (a Long Island resident who has built most of his businesses there) has refused to threaten to move the franchise if he didn't get an arena deal. However, it's believed Wang is growing frustrated by the fact there has been little progress by local politicians on the Lighthouse Project and Wang's plan to transform Nassau Veterans Memorial Coliseum and surrounding 100-plus acres.

The New York Islanders are nowhere close to moving. But, according to some this mere exhibition game in Kansas City will be considered a major wakeup call to Long Islanders (and their community leaders) who allegedly think the team will stay without a new arena deal.

The Sprint Center in Kansas City is operated by AEG, whose CEO Tim Leiweke is a governor of the Los Angeles Kings.

In 2007, Leiweke made a strong play for the Pittsburgh Penguins, offering Pens ownership free rent at the Sprint Center if the team, mired at the time in a similar arena debate, moved to Kansas City.

Scare tactics worked in this case because in March of 2007 the Penguins and government officials agreed on a $290 million arena deal to keep the Penguins in Pittsburgh.

Shortly after the decision to stay in Pittsburgh was made Leiweke expressed his desire to the Kansas City Star to bring an NHL franchise to the city:

"I hoped things would move more quickly. But no teams have moved since we started on the building. It's very competitive out there. Municipalities don't want to lose their teams."

The New York Islanders don't want to leave Long Island, however as this negotiation with local politicians drags on the potential for speculation to become reality will grow as well.
Old 01-16-2009, 12:34 PM   #1129
Maple Leafs
Coordinator

Isn't this like telling your fat ugly girlfriend that if she doesn't shape up, you're going to dump her for a different fat ugly girl?
Old 01-16-2009, 12:38 PM   #1130
DeToxRox
Head Coach

Quote:
Isn't this like telling your fat ugly girlfriend that if she doesn't shape up, you're going to dump her for a different fat ugly girl?

Nothing more to add to this, other then 100% correct.
Old 01-16-2009, 12:45 PM   #1131
Pyser
Pro Rookie

the kansas city islanders does have a nice ring to it...
Pyser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2009, 02:24 PM   #1132
sterlingice
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pyser View Post
the kansas city islanders does have a nice ring to it...

Just as logical a name as the Utah Jazz

SI

Janos: "Only America could produce an imbecile of your caliber!"
Freakazoid: "That's because we make lots of things better than other people!"

Last edited by sterlingice : 01-16-2009 at 02:26 PM.
sterlingice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2009, 02:41 PM   #1133
Pyser
Pro Rookie

los angeles lakers
Pyser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2009, 03:29 PM   #1134
samifan24
Pro Starter

I'm surprised the Islanders are still on Long Island. They don't draw and the entire front office is a mess. I never like to see a team move since I know how much it hurts the lifelong fans but I'm surprised the Islanders have lasted this long.
Old 01-17-2009, 11:07 AM   #1135
Travis
Pro Rookie

Oilers trade Garon (RFA after this season) to the Penguins for Sabourin (UFA after this season) and Ryan Stone (RFA after the season).

I don't get this trade at all from the Oilers stand point. We still have 3 goalies on the roster and add *another* 3/4 liner to the glut of 3/4 liners we have on the team/in the system.

Financials are essentially a wash but call me severely underwhelmed and very disappointed in this move.
Old 01-17-2009, 11:09 AM   #1136
DeToxRox
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by Travis View Post
Oilers trade Garon (RFA after this season) to the Penguins for Sabourin (UFA after this season) and Ryan Stone (RFA after the season).

I don't get this trade at all from the Oilers stand point. We still have 3 goalies on the roster and add *another* 3/4 liner to the glut of 3/4 liners we have on the team/in the system.

Financials are essentially a wash but call me severely underwhelmed and very disappointed in this move.

Are they gearing up for another run at Hossa?
Old 01-17-2009, 11:19 AM   #1137
Draft Dodger
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Travis View Post

the timing is a little odd too; Garon was great last night
Old 01-17-2009, 11:30 AM   #1138
Travis
Pro Rookie

Quote:
Are they gearing up for another run at Hossa?

If they're going to do that they'd have to shed salary. The only way this trade makes any sense is if the Oilers didn't have confidence in Garon to shoulder the load but like what Sabourin brings and now deal Roloson (in a move that doesn't bring back a goalie).

Past that, all this move does is keep the goaltending mess the same and add another body to the glut of forwards already in the organization.

I'm fully expecting the presser to say that they've had their eye on Stone for a while and are happy to get him but this in no way improves their NHL lineup or their financials in any way that I can see right now.
Old 01-17-2009, 02:18 PM   #1139
Dr. Sak
Grizzled Veteran

Sabu stinks too. I wonder who is going to be playing behind MAF now.
Old 01-17-2009, 05:22 PM   #1140
Suburban Rhythm
Pro Starter

Sabourin has had 2 chances to make a name for himself in the past 2 seasons. Earlier this year while Fleury missed about a month, he started out hot, then fall apart, and has been awful since.

Last season, he was tabbed as the starter when Fleury had the high ankle sprain. He faltered the first game, Conklin came up from WBS, and the rest is history.

Stone is a former 2nd round pick (the Penguins haven't had a 2nd round pick make an impact since 1967). He looked like he'd a have shot to make the 4th line this year out of camp, since the team lost guys like Malone and Roberts. Other guys simply outplayed him. He broke his wrist 3 seasons ago, and has quit fighting. He wasn't a big fighter, but an OK middle weight, good along the boards, OK skater. Maybe could become a Matt Cooke-lite guy, 8-10 goals moving between the 3rd and 4th lines and playing on the PK.
Old 01-17-2009, 05:23 PM   #1141
Dr. Sak
Grizzled Veteran

Hey Suburban...Matt Cooke has really stepped up his game this past week. He might make a name for himself in front of the net on Crosby's line.
Old 01-17-2009, 05:29 PM   #1142
Suburban Rhythm
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. Sak View Post
Hey Suburban...Matt Cooke has really stepped up his game this past week. He might make a name for himself in front of the net on Crosby's line.

He's doing really odd stuff...skating, going to the net, and shooting the puck.

Therrien will move him off that line shortly.

I like Cooke, but you still have problems if he's in your top 6.

Actually, I guess that's not true. He's OK in your top 6 if he's the guy who retrieves dump ins, similar to the role Dupuis played with Crosby-Hossa last year. For now, with Crosby and Geno playing together (Sid's supposed to be ready to play Sunday vs the Rangers after missing last night) he's a fit. As soon as Malkin is moved back to center, and Satan is on Crosby's wing, it doesn't matter who the 3rd guy on that line is.
Old 01-17-2009, 05:39 PM   #1143
Suburban Rhythm
Pro Starter

Dola

Seeing Wings/Zetterberg close to a 10 year/$75M deal.

Doesn't that $7.5M avg break the self imposed Lidstrom-cap ceiling?
And, do they really want to be paying him $7.5M (or $7.5M cap hit anyway) when he's 38?

I know I shouldn't question Ken Holland's judgement....but I am.
Old 01-17-2009, 05:58 PM   #1144
Tekneek
Pro Rookie

Deslauriers will be the backup in Edmonton. They have been carrying three goalies all season.

Sabourin was a throw-in that will be put on waivers.

Last edited by Tekneek : 01-17-2009 at 05:59 PM.
Tekneek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2009, 10:35 PM   #1145
samifan24
Pro Starter

I thought there was some talk of Edmonton moving Sabourin to another club? Either way I don't think the Oilers will keep three goalies on the roster again.
Old 01-18-2009, 07:22 AM   #1146
Suburban Rhythm
Pro Starter

Quote:
I thought there was some talk of Edmonton moving Sabourin to another club? Either way I don't think the Oilers will keep three goalies on the roster again.

Yeah I've read where he was told not to report to EDM. So either he'll get moved (Isles?) or waived and sent to Springfield, or wherever it is their AHL team is now.
Old 01-18-2009, 07:29 AM   #1147
Honolulu_Blue
Hockey Boy

Quote:
Dola

Seeing Wings/Zetterberg close to a 10 year/$75M deal.

Doesn't that $7.5M avg break the self imposed Lidstrom-cap ceiling?
And, do they really want to be paying him $7.5M (or $7.5M cap hit anyway) when he's 38?

I know I shouldn't question Ken Holland's judgement....but I am.

I think the $7.5 is right around the Lidstrom ceiling thing. That said, as much as I love Zetterberg, a 10 year deal at that price is simply too long. I am not a fan of this mega-long deals. I understand the need to lock up your best players and for the desire for cost certainty going forward, but any deal that keeps paying a player premium dollars well after they're 35 is questionable.
Old 01-18-2009, 07:36 AM   #1148
Suburban Rhythm
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Honolulu_Blue View Post
I think the $7.5 is right around the Lidstrom ceiling thing. That said, as much as I love Zetterberg, a 10 year deal at that price is simply too long. I am not a fan of this mega-long deals. I understand the need to lock up your best players and for the desire for cost certainty going forward, but any deal that keeps paying a player premium dollars well after they're 35 is questionable.

And I assume this means no Hossa?

What about Franzen?
Old 01-18-2009, 08:06 AM   #1149
Honolulu_Blue
Hockey Boy

Quote:
And I assume this means no Hossa?

What about Franzen?

It's really hard to say what's going to happen after this year. Realistically, I think the Wings will be able to re-sign some one player from each of the following to groups:

Group A: Hossa, Zetterberg

Group B: Hulder, Franzen

Obviously the Wings are leaning towards Zetterberg. They are loyal that way.

Re-signing Franzen could be tricky. The Wings had a rough go when they signed him to his current deal, back when he was a third line checking type.

Hulder is an RFA, which gives the Wings a bit more leverage. If someone signs him to a decent offer sheet, and the Wings can't match, at least they'll get something in return.

The Wings would love to have Hossa back and, by all accounts, he loves it here, but I just don't see that being a reality. Just not enough of the pie to go around.

At the end of the day, if Holland manages to keep both Zetterberg and Franzen and gotten something for Hulder, he's done a good job.
Old 01-18-2009, 08:46 AM   #1150
Suburban Rhythm
Pro Starter

Franzen I could see getting $5M from someone who really needs a scorer (Canucks, Islanders)...and then be upset when they realize what they've paid for.

No knock on Franzen, he'd probably still score 30, but that 30 is different on a team without Hossa, Z, Datsyuk in front of him.

Hudler would be a great fit in Pittsburgh, but we are in no position to be going after RFAs. We'll be bringing in Jason Williams (CBJ version) and Richard Zednik in on one year deals to replace Satan and Fedotenko