He is not a fan.

He's not a fan of the 360 either.
Galaxy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2008, 11:03 AM   #1102
Mizzou B-ball fan
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by Galaxy View Post
Ok, at least buy/try out the the game for a period before you go off and complain.

What will I find out about the 09 version that isn't already reported? It's pretty obvious that the problems are substantial.

As far as 08, I've played it as I received a free copy of the game. It was painful to say the least.
Mizzou B-ball fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2008, 11:04 AM   #1103
Mizzou B-ball fan
General Manager

Quote:
He's not a fan of the 360 either.

There's no difference between the two versions of the game, so I'm not sure why this is relevant.
Old 07-21-2008, 11:08 AM   #1104
JetsIn06
Pro Rookie

Playing realistic games against you guys is making this with 100% worth the purchase, IMO. That really sucks if the online dynasty is broken, but I'm still having more fun than I did last year and it wasn't in the game then.
JetsIn06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2008, 11:14 AM   #1105
Eaglesfan27
Hall Of Famer

That was an incredible play, Kodos.
Eaglesfan27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2008, 11:17 AM   #1106
Kodos
Resident Alien

Total luck. I'm pretty sure it was the computer who caught the tip. And the pass really should have been lobbed more than it was. But it worked out okay.
Old 07-21-2008, 11:19 AM   #1107
Sun Tzu
Pro Starter

Mizzou, there is already another thread for people who haven't actually played this game.

Regarding the Online Dynasty, it looks like we're going to have to hold off until some major server issues are corrected. Fine by me, as long as they eventually get corrected at some point.
Old 07-21-2008, 11:22 AM   #1108
Sun Tzu
Pro Starter

Today is a day off for me so anyone who's up for a game let me know via XBL.
Old 07-21-2008, 11:24 AM   #1109
gstelmack
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mizzou B-ball fan View Post
What will I find out about the 09 version that isn't already reported? It's pretty obvious that the problems are substantial.

Maybe you'll find out whether or not the problems are actually substantial or if they affect the way you want to play the game?
Old 07-21-2008, 11:25 AM   #1110
JetsIn06
Pro Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sun Tzu View Post
Today is a day off for me so anyone who's up for a game let me know via XBL.

I'm game.
Old 07-21-2008, 11:26 AM   #1111
Sun Tzu
Pro Starter

omw
Old 07-21-2008, 11:35 AM   #1112
JetsIn06
Pro Rookie

Quote:
omw

I'm in the fofc lobby.
Old 07-21-2008, 11:38 AM   #1113
Mizzou B-ball fan
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by gstelmack View Post
Maybe you'll find out whether or not the problems are actually substantial or if they affect the way you want to play the game?

They are substantial enough for me. I don't question that at all. The gameplay issues still are plentiful and the Online Dynasty option is outright broken. That's all I need to hear. The vast majority of people who have the game or have reviewed it agree with that sentiment.

I'll get the game in a week or two for free and be able to find out in person just how bad it is. I'll likely trade it in pretty quickly. You have every right to express your opinion about how happy you are with this year's version. Your opinion certainly differs quite a bit from the general perception. I'm actually surprised that someone involved in game development would even consider supporting a company who has given game development this bad of a name.
Old 07-21-2008, 12:02 PM   #1114
Sun Tzu
Pro Starter

Mizzou...again there is another thread for people who have nothing to add.

k tnx
Old 07-21-2008, 12:07 PM   #1115
Sun Tzu
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by JetsIn06 View Post
I'm in the fofc lobby.

What the hell was that? It took me literally 3 minutes just to sub out 1 player because the lag was so bad.
Old 07-21-2008, 12:22 PM   #1116
Kodos
Resident Alien

I think many, many people are having fun with the game despite it's clear shortcomings.
Old 07-21-2008, 12:24 PM   #1117
gstelmack
Pro Starter

Quote:
They are substantial enough for me. I don't question that at all. The gameplay issues still are plentiful and the Online Dynasty option is outright broken. That's all I need to hear. The vast majority of people who have the game or have reviewed it agree with that sentiment.

And lots of people on here had fun with last season's version, and lots of people are on here having fun playing online with this season's version. Yes, there are some problems, and yet folks are having fun despite that. And it sounds like the Online Dynasty is a server-side issue that has a shot at getting fixed, but we'll see.

Last year INTs were plentiful, but folks found some sliders that worked around that. This year special teams TDs are out-of-whack, so folks are punting OOB and giving up a few yards. Yes, I'd love 2kSports to get back into it as they remain the pinnacle of football gameplay, and no I don't rate either version as a 10 or anything else, and no I don't buy these every year because there are issues, but I was able to get my money's worth out of last year's version without even trying. And the games certainly aren't "terrible" or "brutal". Nor are they anywhere close to "perfect". But at least I actually PLAYED '08 for more than an hour or two to form my opinion of it. And I'm on season #4 of my Madden '08 superstar game using one of those NCAA 08 Heisman QB seasons, and enjoying it despite having to deal with ring-builder and being told every season what my draft position is and reading dozens of stupid e-mails for every one important one and the like. Yup, issues, but I'm still having enough fun to pick it up.

As for '09, as I've said a couple of times I haven't heard enough yet that would make me want to get it after already having '08, which is one place I'll definitely agree with you on how they do development. But neither have I regretted the purchase of '08.

Quote:
I'm actually surprised that someone involved in game development would even consider supporting a company who has given game development this bad of a name.

Oh no, you did NOT just go there. If anything, I may be more forgiving as a game developer, since I know the hard decisions that go into trying to make a game that has a shot of actually pleasing enough folks to make a profit. But I'm also a game player who plays lots of games, and if I can have fun with a game despite flaws, I'll play it. I still play FOF despite railing on its Vista compatibility and scouting issues, for example, because I can still have lots of fun with it. And I can still have fun with NCAA and Madden because I can take them for what they are: joystick jockey arcade football. If I want a true sim, I'll go someplace else.
Old 07-21-2008, 12:25 PM   #1118
JetsIn06
Pro Rookie

Quote:
What the hell was that? It took me literally 3 minutes just to sub out 1 player because the lag was so bad.

I have no idea. Last night it was working perfectly for me (except with rainmaker). In the lobby it showed my ping as very good...so weird.
Old 07-21-2008, 12:26 PM   #1119
Mizzou B-ball fan
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kodos View Post
I think many, many people are having fun with the game despite it's clear shortcomings.

Exactly. As I stated previously, I'm certainly not aiming my venom at anyone who wants to buy the game and finds some level of entertainment. That's not the purpose of my comments.

That doesn't take away the fact that there were some major oversights by the developer and ESPECIALLY the testing team in the months before the release. The entire testing department at EA sports needs a severe overhaul after failing to catch the multiple issues that were found in a day or two by consumers. That team is not doing their job.
Old 07-21-2008, 12:32 PM   #1120
Mizzou B-ball fan
General Manager

Quote:
Oh no, you did NOT just go there. If anything, I may be more forgiving as a game developer, since I know the hard decisions that go into trying to make a game that has a shot of actually pleasing enough folks to make a profit. But I'm also a game player who plays lots of games, and if I can have fun with a game despite flaws, I'll play it. I still play FOF despite railing on its Vista compatibility and scouting issues, for example, because I can still have lots of fun with it. And I can still have fun with NCAA and Madden because I can take them for what they are: joystick jockey arcade football. If I want a true sim, I'll go someplace else.

Oh I did, because I have no doubt that you're a better developer than the EA Sports development team that we're dicussing here.

I don't dislike the game because it's an 'arcade-like' game. There's nothing wrong with arcade football. I loved some of the Blitz games and I also am a huge Tecmo fan. Those are great arcade games. What we have with the EA football games is a game that tries to be both a sim and arcade game while succeeding at neither. Not only that, but it's a broken attempt to boot or one that offers little improvement over the previous year's version.

As I've also mentioned before, most of the problems at this point lie with the testing group and not the development group. There were some severe oversights in this year's version of NCAA that should have never made it through acceptance testing. The developer can't fix the problems if the testing team isn't thorough enough to find those problems.
Old 07-21-2008, 12:34 PM   #1121
Galaxy
Coordinator

Quote:
Exactly. As I stated previously, I'm certainly not aiming my venom at anyone who wants to buy the game and finds some level of entertainment. That's not the purpose of my comments.

That doesn't take away the fact that there were some major oversights by the developer and ESPECIALLY the testing team in the months before the release. The entire testing department at EA sports needs a severe overhaul after failing to catch the multiple issues that were found in a day or two by consumers. That team is not doing their job.

Your looking for absolute perfection. It does not exist in any game. However, why post over and over when you have nothing really to add? It's just the same stuff. If you don't like it, don't buy it.

Last edited by Galaxy : 07-21-2008 at 12:34 PM.
Galaxy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2008, 12:36 PM   #1122
Sun Tzu
Pro Starter

Quote:
Your looking for absolute perfection. It does not exist in any game. However, why post over and over when you have nothing really to add? It's just the same stuff. If you don't like it, don't buy it.

And stop clogging up these threads with your crappy propaganda.
Old 07-21-2008, 12:39 PM   #1123
Mizzou B-ball fan
General Manager

Quote:
And stop clogging up these threads with your crappy propaganda.

Yeah, it's all propaganda.

It's an impressions thread where impressions are discussed. If you don't want to do so, fine. Just because you don't like the impressions doesn't mean they can't be discussed.
Old 07-21-2008, 12:45 PM   #1124
Sun Tzu
Pro Starter

I think I can speak for everyone here with a good amount of confidence when I say...nobody wants your extreme-biased second hand impressions.
Old 07-21-2008, 12:53 PM   #1125
Kodos
Resident Alien

Quote:
Yeah, it's all propaganda.

It's an impressions thread where impressions are discussed. If you don't want to do so, fine. Just because you don't like the impressions doesn't mean they can't be discussed.

How does one give impressions for a game they have not played, exactly?
Old 07-21-2008, 12:56 PM   #1126
Mizzou B-ball fan
General Manager

Quote:
I think I can speak for everyone here with a good amount of confidence when I say...nobody wants your extreme-biased second hand impressions.

So you're dismissive of the overall impressions given in the forums and by the reviews at this point?

If bias in your definition is when a person calls out a corporation for major problems in their development and testing of a game, then I'm guilty as charged. Consumers should not have to put up with these kinds of errors this far into a franchise.
Old 07-21-2008, 12:59 PM   #1127
Sun Tzu
Pro Starter

I own the game and have played it for several hours by now. I agree with some of the impressions, and dissagree with others. I take into consideration what everyone has to say...assuming it's relatively intelligent and they actually have played the game.
Old 07-21-2008, 01:00 PM   #1128
Mizzou B-ball fan
General Manager

Quote:
How does one give impressions for a game they have not played, exactly?

That's the funny part. All I've done is reiterate impressions from various sources off of the internet. I've not given one personal impression. There's plenty of places to find a wealth of impressions on the game. Thus far, they have been decidedly critical of the game.
Old 07-21-2008, 01:01 PM   #1129
Mizzou B-ball fan
General Manager

Quote:
I own the game and have played it for several hours by now. I agree with some of the impressions, and dissagree with others. I take into consideration what everyone has to say...assuming it's relatively intelligent and they actually have played the game.

Good, then we're on the same page. Every impression that I've posted was from someone who played the game.
Old 07-21-2008, 01:03 PM   #1130
Sun Tzu
Pro Starter

Quote:
Good, then we're on the same page. Every impression that I've posted was from someone who played the game.

Next time just post a link to "someone's" post so as to save the clutter. tnx

Last edited by Sun Tzu : 07-21-2008 at 01:05 PM.
Sun Tzu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2008, 01:08 PM   #1131
Mizzou B-ball fan
General Manager

Quote:
Next time just post a link to "someone's" post so as to save the clutter. tnx

I have posted a link every single time save the last one. One would think you could have saved all of this 'clutter' for just asking for a link in the first place.
Old 07-21-2008, 01:10 PM   #1132
Sun Tzu
Pro Starter

Since everything you've posted in this "impressions" thread is just someone elses impression...my thinking is that you could post only the link to that specific impression. That way we don't get someone who has never played the games interpretation of someone elses impression.

Last edited by Sun Tzu : 07-21-2008 at 01:11 PM.
Old 07-21-2008, 01:14 PM   #1133
Mizzou B-ball fan
General Manager

Quote:
Since everything you've posted in this "impressions" thread is just someone elses impression...my thinking is that you could post only the link to that specific impression. That way we don't get someone who has never played the games interpretation of someone elses impression.

Someone should make you a moderator. We could get a rulebook going as goofy as the official rules of golf. That would really shake it up around here. Better yet, each thread could have rules specific to that thread while not overriding the overall rules of the board. It's like our nation in that regard.
Old 07-21-2008, 01:15 PM   #1134
Sun Tzu
Pro Starter

It's just a suggestion kiddo.
Old 07-21-2008, 01:16 PM   #1135
Mizzou B-ball fan
General Manager

Quote:
It's just a suggestion kiddo.

As was mine.
Old 07-21-2008, 01:17 PM   #1136
Kodos
Resident Alien

So cherry-picking bad impressions second hand is a legitimate way to judge a game?
Old 07-21-2008, 01:18 PM   #1137
Sun Tzu
Pro Starter

Quote:
As was mine.

...but mine isn't rediculous.

Last edited by Sun Tzu : 07-21-2008 at 01:19 PM.
Old 07-21-2008, 01:22 PM   #1138
Mizzou B-ball fan
General Manager

Quote:
So cherry-picking bad impressions second hand is a legitimate way to judge a game?

You have the ability to post just as well as I do. If you feel I'm missing some write-ups that paint a much rosier picture, feel free to do so. I'd love to read them.
Old 07-21-2008, 01:23 PM   #1139
Mizzou B-ball fan
General Manager

Quote:
...but mine isn't rediculous.

But it does show an extreme lack of spelling skills.
Old 07-21-2008, 01:29 PM   #1140
Sun Tzu
Pro Starter

1100+ posts in this thread and now the grammar police show up?
Old 07-21-2008, 01:30 PM   #1141
gstelmack
Pro Starter

Quote:
You have the ability to post just as well as I do. If you feel I'm missing some write-ups that paint a much rosier picture, feel free to do so. I'd love to read them.

Check the rest of this thread, where folks are posting videos of games and talking about what a great time they had playing with other folks here at FOFC.
Old 07-21-2008, 01:30 PM   #1142
CraigSca
Pro Starter

Dude, you're an RSS feed? I thought you were real!
how do you know?

CraigSca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2008, 01:31 PM   #1143
Mizzou B-ball fan
General Manager

Quote:
1100+ posts in this thread and now the grammar police show up?

You're the one that brought up that intelligence was required to give an impression. I was just pointing out that you obviously just disqualified yourself from those ranks. I'd prefer to chat about the game and what needs to be improved.
Old 07-21-2008, 01:33 PM   #1144
Mizzou B-ball fan
General Manager

Quote:
Check the rest of this thread, where folks are posting videos of games and talking about what a great time they had playing with other folks here at FOFC.

Absolutely. The online game itself is without question the best part of this version. The single player game along with the single and multi-player dynasty features are where the warts really come out. If you're only interested in playing exhibition games online, it's probably a decent buy.

Last edited by Mizzou B-ball fan : 07-21-2008 at 01:33 PM.
Old 07-21-2008, 01:39 PM   #1145
Sun Tzu
Pro Starter

Whew...Mizzou you certainly know how to suck the fun out of a thread...at least temporarily. Broken logic, grammar police, all that's missing is a nazi reference and you've hit stupid bastard status.
Old 07-21-2008, 01:41 PM   #1146
Mizzou B-ball fan
General Manager

Quote:
Whew...Mizzou you certainly know how to suck the fun out of a thread...at least temporarily. Broken logic, grammar police, all that's missing is a nazi reference and you've hit stupid bastard status.

Your wealth of contributions is appreciated.
Old 07-21-2008, 01:42 PM   #1147
Kodos
Resident Alien

I've certainly been derpriving myself of sleep staying up late because I hate this sucky game.
Old 07-21-2008, 01:44 PM   #1148
gstelmack
Pro Starter

Quote:
Absolutely. The online game itself is without question the best part of this version. The single player game along with the single and multi-player dynasty features are where the warts really come out. If you're only interested in playing exhibition games online, it's probably a decent buy.

Okay, so one key, major part of the game so far is not "terrible" or "brutal" (and I'd wager that a large majority of Madden games played are pvp either at home in a party setup or online, hence the focus on it). We've had some folks chime in that they are having fun with Heisman as well.

So are we down to "dynasty mode" is broken?
Old 07-21-2008, 01:46 PM   #1149
Sun Tzu
Pro Starter

Quote:
Your wealth of contributions is appreciated.

That's really not necessary, but thank you.
Old 07-21-2008, 01:48 PM   #1150
KWhit
Coordinator

Quote:

Can we just ignore him for a while?

Speaking of the game, though, and not from a biased POV like MBBF, I am really, really bummed about the online dynasty issues. That was literally the only reason I bought the game.

If they don't clear it up fast, I will be pissed.
KWhit is offline   Reply With Quote