Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Archives > FOFC Archive
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 04-11-2008, 07:06 PM   #1101
Ksyrup
This guy has posted so much, his fingers are about to fall off.

The Chris Brown/Jordin Sparks performance was taped a couple of weeks ago, after the live show aired that week. They did that with virtually every "guest" performance last year (Akorn's Nuts, etc.).

And the other thing they edit with is the dress rehearsal. Notably, the recap at the end of the live show is usually showing them from their rehearsal peformances.

Bucc, for the last several weeks, the show has been live - not taped live day-of. When they were tape-delayed and not live (pre-top 12 or so), it wasn't day-of, but a day before. That's how we would know the spoilers a day ahead of time. At this point, we're waiting for the dress rehearsal to end (around 6-7pm EST) for spoilers to leak during a normal week. This week was a bit different because of IGB and the "inspirational" song list leaked early.
M's pitcher Miguel Batista: "Now, I feel like I've had everything. I've talked pitching with Sandy Koufax, had Kenny G play for me. Maybe if I could have an interview with God, then I'd be served. I'd be complete."
Ksyrup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2008, 07:16 PM   #1102
Buccaneer
Head Coach

K, including the vote off segment? You really believe we are seeing the full picture?
Buccaneer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2008, 07:24 PM   #1103
Ksyrup

AFAIK, the relevant portions of those shows are absolutely live. You can tell when they are running over, etc. Like I said, some of the performances are taped and shown during the live show, but I believe the vote-off portions are live. And on performance night, those are sometimes live with a dress rehearsal prior to the live show, or taped a day or so in advance in the early rounds.
M's pitcher Miguel Batista: "Now, I feel like I've had everything. I've talked pitching with Sandy Koufax, had Kenny G play for me. Maybe if I could have an interview with God, then I'd be served. I'd be complete."
Old 04-11-2008, 07:31 PM   #1104
Buccaneer
Head Coach

Thanks.
Buccaneer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2008, 07:47 PM   #1105
Ksyrup

Here's some interesting info...80% of the contestants who have gotten the boot this year have performed in the first half of the show, and 40% of them performed from the 1st spot. It seems like it really is a matter of out of sight, out of mind. Brooke went first last week, and ended up in the bottom 3. And David A, David C, and Castro haven't performed first yet.

Last edited by Ksyrup : 04-11-2008 at 07:48 PM.
Old 04-15-2008, 07:55 PM   #1106
Flasch186
Coordinator

Wow, David's Carey was awesome.

Putting a New Spin on Real Estate!

-----------------------------------------------------------

Commissioner of the USFL
USFL
Flasch186 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2008, 09:18 PM   #1107
vex
Grizzled Veteran

I don't see how anyone but Cook could win at this point. Week in and out he has been by far the best performer.
vex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2008, 09:24 PM   #1108
MJ4H
Coordinator

Tonight only:

1. David Archuleta
2. David Cook
3. Jason Castro
4. Kristy Cook
5. Carly Smithson
6. Brooke White
7. Syesha Mercado

Overall:
1. David Cook
2. David Archuleta
3. Carly Smithson
4. Brooke White
5. Jason Castro
6. Kristy Cook
7. Syesha Mercado

Last edited by MJ4H : 04-15-2008 at 09:26 PM.
MJ4H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2008, 09:26 PM   #1109
Mustang
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by vex View Post
I don't see how anyone but Cook could win at this point. Week in and out he has been by far the best performer.

I'd still put my money on David A or Castro... mainly because of the teenage girl vote.
You, you will regret what you have done this day. I will make you regret ever being born. Your going to wish you never left your mothers womb, where it was warm and safe... and wet. i am going to show you pain you never knew existed, you are going to see a whole new spectrum of pain, like a Rainboooow. But! This rainbow is not just like any other rainbow, its...
Mustang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2008, 09:34 PM   #1110
Kodos
Resident Alien

Cook just plain kicks everyone else's ass. He was off last week, but every other night I've watched, he was the best. And to do that with a Mariah Carey song is amazing.
Old 04-15-2008, 09:45 PM   #1111
Solecismic
Solecismic Software

Writeup for the round of seven is now posted at the Football Frontier:

http://www.solecismic.com/frontierblog/?p=245

Overall: The contestants struggled bravely with a difficult diva theme. By and large, they did well as long as they didn’t try and out-Mariah the original.

Bonus info: Average Score to date (not just tonight).

1. David Cook (82).
2. Brooke White (79).
3. Carly Smithson (78).
4. David Archuleta (75).
5. Kristy Lee Cook (71).
6. Jason Castro (67).
7. Syesha Mercado (62).

Best of the eliminated:

1. Michael Johns (78).
2. Alexandrea Lushington (74).
3. Chikezie Eze (71).
4. David Hernandez (71).
5. Alaina Whitaker (69).
Solecismic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2008, 09:55 PM   #1112
NoSkillz
College Benchwarmer

Mariah's expensive (and expansive) cleavage gave the finest performance tonight IMHO.
NoSkillz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2008, 09:58 PM   #1113
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

Quote:
Originally Posted by NoSkillz View Post
Mariah's expensive (and expansive) cleavage gave the finest performance tonight IMHO.

she is so nasty
Lathum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2008, 10:02 PM   #1114
korme
Go Reds

Flasch, way to be specific

Show was weak tonight because of MC, but of course Cook is the one to beat after that stellar performance. Surprised that Simon enjoyed Castro as I unfortunately did not, knew it'd be a tough week for him.
korme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2008, 10:24 PM   #1115
Arles
Grey Dog Software

Quick rundown headlined by the Cooks.

1. David Cook - Great performance and solid arrangement. He may be the first AI star that I actually buy an album from.
2. Kristy Lee Cook - She's found her wheelhouse with the country style. I don't know that her ceiling is as high as Underwood, but she could stick around in that genre.
3. David Archuleta - David A did well, but he's just not showing anything to consistently compete. He looked like a fish out of water with tonight's theme, but still finished third. It's like Fulham pulling out a tie against Man U - not a bad result considering.
4. Jason Castro - I kind of liked his version. It was intriguing and he's becoming a poor man's combo of Jack Johnson and John Mayer.
5. Syesha Mercado - technically the best of the rest, but she's getting that robot status. Still, she was much better than Brook or Carly (not sure that's much of compliment though).
6. Brooke White - It's pretty bad when you can't deliver on even a watered down version of Mariah. I think if she were pulled away from the piano tonight and made to sign like Jason did, she would have been exposed pretty quickly.
7. Carly Smithson - Took on a tiger song by Whitney and only has the teeth marks to show for it. She's setting up arrangements to wow with her range, then she bails out in the last minute. Not sure there's any hope for her at this point and she should go.

Last edited by Arles : 04-15-2008 at 10:24 PM.
Arles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2008, 10:28 PM   #1116
vex
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arles View Post

1. David Cook - Great performance and solid arrangement. He may be the first AI star that I actually buy an album from.

+1

Last edited by vex : 04-15-2008 at 10:29 PM.
vex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2008, 06:54 AM   #1117
Ksyrup

Wow, I'm completely surprised so many people thought KLC was good. Her vocal was so bad, she made me cringe during the rehearsal piece they showed. She couldn't hit a note to save her life. She was easily bottom 2 for me.

Brooke was disappointing, since she completely lost the song in the middle, to the point where I think she was singing a different key than the one she was playing.

The rest...nothing stood out as memorable, good or bad.

The show was weird for me, because I blame Mariah Carey for the last 2 decades of warbling diva R&B crap that I have "run through walls" to get away from (to borrow another thread topic), but I've never really heard a Mariah Carey song, at least not enough of one that I could pick it out. I just hate her vocal style, period. So I had no idea about any of the songs performed last night, except the cheat that Carly sang, which was a cover written by Badfinger in the early 70s and most famously (to me, anyway, since I had no clue MC re-recorded it) recorded by Harry Nilsson. Anyway, crap music is crap music, no matter what genre you translate it to.

Score of zero to the show for putting me through that.
Old 04-16-2008, 07:22 AM   #1118
wade moore
lolzcat

Before the show started I really wanted Brooke to sing "Hero" because I thought she could do a very good job with it.

Boy was that a disaster, disappointing. I think she's in pretty big danger personally.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Subby
Maybe I am just getting old though, but I am learning to not let perfect be the enemy of the very good...
wade moore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2008, 07:53 AM   #1119
Eaglesfan27
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by wade moore View Post
Before the show started I really wanted Brooke to sing "Hero" because I thought she could do a very good job with it.

Boy was that a disaster, disappointing. I think she's in pretty big danger personally.

Same here. I also agree with Ksyrup that KLC was not good at all vocally. She looked great, but I'm not sure that will save her.

I think David Cook was the easy winner on the night. I loved that performance and agree that he could be the first AI winner that I'll buy an album from. David Archuleta was a solid 2nd and the rest were just somewhere in the middle.
Eaglesfan27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2008, 07:55 AM   #1120
Kodos
Resident Alien

I think Brooke deserves to go after last night.
Old 04-16-2008, 08:05 AM   #1121
Subby
lolzcat

Quote:
Originally Posted by NoSkillz View Post
Word.
Superman was flying around and saw Wonder Woman getting a tan in the nude on her balcony. Superman said I going to hit that real fast. So he flys down toward Wonder Woman to hit it and their is a loud scream. The Invincible Man scream what just hit me in the ass!!!!!

I do shit, I take pictures, I write about it: chrisshue.com
Subby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2008, 08:26 AM   #1122
wade moore
lolzcat

I honestly would be pretty surprised if David C. wins. I picture a loss in the final 3 or final 2.

Which could be good for him.

Quote:
Maybe I am just getting old though, but I am learning to not let perfect be the enemy of the very good...
Old 04-16-2008, 08:30 AM   #1123
kurtism
High School Varsity

I envision a victory for the stunningly bland "teen idol" David A, followed by an album release chock full of nausea-inducing "inspirational" ballads (and absolutely NO uptempo tunes) that the label's target base of Hannah Montana teen girls ignores. Luckily for Dave-o, hundreds of thousands of old ladies who like non-threatening (read: no dangerous beats and scubbed clean of any honest emotion) music with positive messages and pretty orchestration will scoop up his LP and use it as background music for bridge club.

Just guessin'.
kurtism is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2008, 08:50 AM   #1124
Ksyrup

David A. will still make some noise with teen girls (witness Jonas Brothers' huge hit right now with a schmaltzy ballad), but you're right, as this guy loses the "kiddie" factor and gets into his 20s, I could see him becoming the straight Clay Aiken.
Old 04-16-2008, 08:59 AM   #1125
Ksyrup

As far as the idea of buying music from an AI contestant, I still come back to what is most important for me - the music. And nothing I've seen from David Cook suggests anything about his post-AI output. The most important thing for me is the original music, and in that respect, we've heard nothing from David Cook (not his fault, but that's a fact). His genre/style is basically the same post-grunge stuff that's been on the radio for the past decade or so. If he could match Daughtry in songwriting skill, that would be a huge achievement for him, IMO. But we just don't know. And even then, there's nothing about Daughtry's music that has ever made me want to willingly listen to it, and certainly not buy it. Do any of you listen to Daughtry? So I don't get what makes this guy any different. To some extent, I think AI viewers suffer from "hottest chick in the office" syndrome.

And for the record, I have the same thoughts about Brooke. As much as I enjoy her style, there's no way I'd consider buying an album of hers unless I was convinced the songwriting was up to par. There are plenty of artists out there who write well who deserve my dollar over someone who got a huge break on a national TV show, but whose talent was really more fitting a role on the show as opposed to true musical talent/ablility. And I'm just not into singers at all, so there's no reason why I'd buy an album of rote schlock just to hear a voice.

I don't know...just my perspective.
Old 04-16-2008, 09:24 AM   #1126
wade moore
lolzcat

On AI Purchasing... off the top of my head I have:

Daughtry Album
an Underwood Album
Yamin Song
Ace Young doing "Father Figure"
A few Kelly Clarkson songs (and I didn't watch AI back then)
Daughtry doing "Dead or Alive"

Quote:
Old 04-16-2008, 09:33 AM   #1127
Alan T
Hall Of Famer

I am getting more dissapointed the further this season goes. Kristy Lee was horrible last night singing wise, her range is non-existant and her voice just isn't that great. I think this is probably as far as she is going to go. I'm upset that Brooke keeps coming out the last few weeks and performing horribly as well, since she was one of only a few who I liked earlier in the season.

I still don't get the fascination that everyone has with David Cook, I don't like most of his songs, and didn't really care for his singing last night either. Of course, I can't tell you anyone who I liked last night. At this point, I don't think I would have any interest in any of the music from the remaining singers. Maybe this is why I am better off watching the first 6-8 weeks of American idol and then turning it off each season
Alan T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2008, 09:48 AM   #1128
Pumpy Tudors
Bounty Hunter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ksyrup View Post
As far as the idea of buying music from an AI contestant, I still come back to what is most important for me - the music. And nothing I've seen from David Cook suggests anything about his post-AI output. The most important thing for me is the original music, and in that respect, we've heard nothing from David Cook (not his fault, but that's a fact). His genre/style is basically the same post-grunge stuff that's been on the radio for the past decade or so. If he could match Daughtry in songwriting skill, that would be a huge achievement for him, IMO. But we just don't know. And even then, there's nothing about Daughtry's music that has ever made me want to willingly listen to it, and certainly not buy it. Do any of you listen to Daughtry? So I don't get what makes this guy any different. To some extent, I think AI viewers suffer from "hottest chick in the office" syndrome.

And for the record, I have the same thoughts about Brooke. As much as I enjoy her style, there's no way I'd consider buying an album of hers unless I was convinced the songwriting was up to par. There are plenty of artists out there who write well who deserve my dollar over someone who got a huge break on a national TV show, but whose talent was really more fitting a role on the show as opposed to true musical talent/ablility. And I'm just not into singers at all, so there's no reason why I'd buy an album of rote schlock just to hear a voice.

I don't know...just my perspective.
I hope I don't sound snarky or anything, but given the above comments, why do you even bother watching American Idol? It's months and months of virtual nobodies singing other people's songs. I mean, you know what kind of competition it is, and it seems to go against what you're looking for. What's the appeal for you?
Old 04-16-2008, 09:51 AM   #1129
rkmsuf
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pumpy Tudors View Post
I hope I don't sound snarky or anything, but given the above comments, why do you even bother watching American Idol? It's months and months of virtual nobodies singing other people's songs. I mean, you know what kind of competition it is, and it seems to go against what you're looking for. What's the appeal for you?

didn't we cover this already, bogambo?
Old 04-16-2008, 10:16 AM   #1130
Pumpy Tudors
Bounty Hunter

Quote:
Originally Posted by rkmsuf View Post
didn't we cover this already, bogambo?
Your thread is like 44 pages now. I don't remember.
Old 04-16-2008, 10:42 AM   #1131
Pumpy Tudors
Bounty Hunter

Just to add, Ksyrup, if you've already answered my question elsewhere in the thread, there's no need to answer it again. I'll find it.
Old 04-16-2008, 10:59 AM   #1132
rkmsuf
Head Coach

Quote:
Just to add, Ksyrup, if you've already answered my question elsewhere in the thread, there's no need to answer it again. I'll find it.

not if I delete this mutha
Old 04-16-2008, 11:13 AM   #1133
Subby
lolzcat

SkyDog set it up so I can ignore Ksyrup...but just in *this* thread.
Superman was flying around and saw Wonder Woman getting a tan in the nude on her balcony. Superman said I going to hit that real fast. So he flys down toward Wonder Woman to hit it and their is a loud scream. The Invincible Man scream what just hit me in the ass!!!!!

Old 04-16-2008, 11:16 AM   #1134
Ksyrup

Quote:

That's OK, I can explain it again. I get this all the time, actually.

I watch solely for the TV show/reality competition aspect of it. Broadly, it involves music, which interests me, of course. I think what draws me to it is the process, more than the substance. I've been following this season since August, when the auditions happened. I followed the spoilers from November, when Hollywood Week was taped and the top 50 was chosen. I'm fascinated by how it all happens, knowing the backstory behind the contestants and the possible motivations for the decisions that have been made as to who makes it and who doesn't, etc. In the back of my mind, there's always the hope that someone who appeals to me might actually make it onto the show and get some publicity, but that's not at all what drives me to watch. Admittedly, AI is not the right forum for what I like, which is why I desperately hope NGAB comes back and they retool it some.

There hasn't been a single contestant on AI that I would bother listening to post-AI, at least so far. And even including NGAB, The Clark Brothers come pretty close but of what I've heard of their original stuff, I'm a bit concerning it will be too mainstream country-ish lyrics-wise for me to enjoy it. And that's really where the "rubber meets the road," so to speak...musically and ability-wise, they seem to have it together, but I'm just not sure about the original content, which is most important to me.
Old 04-16-2008, 11:17 AM   #1135
Ksyrup

Quote:
Originally Posted by Subby View Post
SkyDog set it up so I can ignore Ksyrup...but just in *this* thread.

Aside from spoilers, what's there to ignore?

Or, are you one of those "Archuleta People"? Ew, gross!
Old 04-16-2008, 11:22 AM   #1136
Subby
lolzcat

Just kidding, homie

Old 04-16-2008, 11:32 AM   #1137
Ksyrup

I've tried to ignore myself, but SD told me the only FOFC member who has that ability is Schmidty.
Old 04-16-2008, 12:50 PM   #1138
RedKingGold
College Starter

Quote:
I've tried to ignore myself, but SD told me the only FOFC member who has that ability is Schmidty.

Schmidty's jealous of rich peoples.
RedKingGold is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2008, 01:13 PM   #1139
Ksyrup

No, I mean Schmidty is able to ignore himself. It was either that, or watch him get into a virtual fistfight with himself.
Old 04-16-2008, 02:55 PM   #1140
Mustang
Grizzled Veteran

Myself and my wife own several post-AI CDs.. namely from Bo Bice, Daughtry, Carrie Underwood, Clay Aiken and Kelly Clarkson. We've also seen one of the idol tours (after season 4) and have seen and met Bo Bice in a separate concert.
You, you will regret what you have done this day. I will make you regret ever being born. Your going to wish you never left your mothers womb, where it was warm and safe... and wet. i am going to show you pain you never knew existed, you are going to see a whole new spectrum of pain, like a Rainboooow. But! This rainbow is not just like any other rainbow, its...
Old 04-16-2008, 03:02 PM   #1141
Kodos
Resident Alien

I've bought a couple of Cook's covers on iTunes.
Old 04-16-2008, 04:21 PM   #1142
Ksyrup

Just to add a little perspective to my comments up-thread about purchasing AI music - since I didn't quote anyone - I was mainly referring to the few people who have suggested that David Cook might be the first AI contestant whose music they would buy. I know some people have bought a few things by AI people, and I'm not here to judge you for that. I was mainly trying to understand why this guy deserves the benefit of the doubt at this juncture, when he hasn't proven anything other than he can perform other people's songs in a particular style fairly consistently. I think Daughtry did the same thing, and I didn't hear people jumping up and down about him at this stage.
Old 04-16-2008, 04:33 PM   #1143
Mustang
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
when he hasn't proven anything other than he can perform other people's songs in a particular style fairly consistently. I think Daughtry did the same thing, and I didn't hear people jumping up and down about him at this stage.

If I remember right, Daughtry did not do any of his own arrangements on any of the songs. Sure, he did Live and RHCP, but weren't his own. At least David Cook has done some of his own arrangements (and has borrowed)
Old 04-16-2008, 04:50 PM   #1144
Thomkal
Head Coach

A bit surprised with the love for David Cook last night. For me, it was one of the few performances of his I did not like at all. His voice sounded "off" in the slow part and didn't get much better in his more comfortable uptempo style. I think he thought he was horrible judging from his reaction to the judges comments.

I liked Brooke a bit better than most of you it seems too. Appreciated that she tried to add a little to her basic style. Carly really oversang the last half of that song, and that's become a trend for her I'm afraid. I like her but can't see her lasting much longer, maybe even tonight.

Syesha probably should be the one to go though. I don't mind her actually, she generally puts on a good performance, but she doesn't have the diva voice she desperately wants to have, and thus there's nothing that really stands out with her. Especially compared to the rest of the contestants.
Thomkal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2008, 05:17 PM   #1145
wade moore
lolzcat

Quote:
Just to add a little perspective to my comments up-thread about purchasing AI music - since I didn't quote anyone - I was mainly referring to the few people who have suggested that David Cook might be the first AI contestant whose music they would buy. I know some people have bought a few things by AI people, and I'm not here to judge you for that. I was mainly trying to understand why this guy deserves the benefit of the doubt at this juncture, when he hasn't proven anything other than he can perform other people's songs in a particular style fairly consistently. I think Daughtry did the same thing, and I didn't hear people jumping up and down about him at this stage.
I was mainly addressing the thought about buying Daughtry and how that might reflect David C.

FWIW, I'm really not a big fan of David C. where at this point in the show I was ready to buy Daughtry's album the day it came out.

Quote:
Old 04-16-2008, 10:06 PM   #1146
Thomkal
Head Coach

Man I hate it when they ask one contestant to go stand with one group over the other. Hope one of these days one of them goes off on the producers for doing it.
Thomkal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2008, 10:27 PM   #1147
Eaglesfan27
Hall Of Famer

I agree with that, but I did think it was clever to move David Cook around. I was sure he was safe. I thought it was unlikely, but possible that KLC and Brooke were safe as well and I wouldn't have been surprised for Carly and Jason to be in the bottom 3, so it was somewhat surprising when he moved groups.
Eaglesfan27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2008, 10:29 PM   #1148
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

The girls couldn't win this week.

If they did a popular song Simon killed them and said they need to be original. If they did a lesser known song he killed them for that.

He makes me crazy sometimes.
Lathum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2008, 10:38 PM   #1149
Danny
Head Coach

The girls also weren't very good.
Danny is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2008, 12:33 AM   #1150
Danny
Head Coach

While I didn't care for David Cook's Idol performance last week of innocent, I listened to the studio version and really enjoyed that.

Last edited by Danny : 04-17-2008 at 12:34 AM.
Danny is online now   Reply With Quote