Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Archives > FOFC Archive
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 03-05-2008, 05:52 PM   #1101
Honolulu_Blue
Hockey Boy

So, Chad Kilger still hasn't returned to the Panthers. He's MIA and the Panthers have suspended him.

I think he's really convinced himself that he, in fact, had a "no trade" clause and refused to waive it.
Steve Yzerman: 1,755 points in 1,514 regular season games. 185 points in 196 postseason games. A First-Team All-Star, Conn Smythe Trophy winner, Selke Trophy winner, Masterton Trophy winner, member of the Hockey Hall of Fame, Olympic gold medallist, and a three-time Stanley Cup Champion. Longest serving captain of one team in the history of the NHL (19 seasons).
Honolulu_Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2008, 09:59 PM   #1102
Wolfpack
Pro Rookie

Canes keep chugging along with a 6-3 win in Atlanta tonight. Problem is, so is Washington, which dumped Buffalo. At this rate, the Southeast might get two teams in yet. Carolina up three with Caps a game in hand and will get another in hand tomorrow as Carolina goes home to play Minny. Canes (and Cam Ward especially) have had troubles in back-to-backs this year.
Wolfpack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2008, 08:10 AM   #1103
Draft Dodger
Coordinator

the Avs have had some huge wins lately against teams they've struggled against this year. On Thursday, they shut out the Ducks 1-0 and then yesterday they beat the Stars 3-1. Both games had a playoff atmosphere to them. Avalanche fans seem rejuvenated by the signing of Forsberg and the return of Foote - Forsberg's debut 3 games ago was the highest rated Avs game for Altitude (the team's station). The team seems revitalized as well. With the addition of Foote and Ruslan Salei and the subtraction of Karlis Skrastins (yay!), our defense is the best it's been since the last Cup.

and, incredibly, Ryan Smyth is skating already. Our powerplay is still atrocious, however, and we aren't going anywhere if that doesn't change.
Old 03-09-2008, 04:24 PM   #1104
Logan
Head Coach

Awesome game going on between the Rangers and Bruins right now. 0-0 with 4 minutes left...Auld and Lundqvist have been unbelievable.
Logan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2008, 04:46 PM   #1105
Logan
Head Coach

Rangers win in a shootout, 1-0. Henrik was just nasty.
Old 03-09-2008, 09:12 PM   #1106
NoSkillz
College Benchwarmer

Sabres lose against Carolina on Saturday night in another heartbreaking OT decision.

Their 'best' player (Vanish...er, Vanek) is benched almost the entire second period for lackluster effort. I don't see them getting their act together in time to make a playoff push but hope I'm wrong.

What a difference a year makes...President's Trophy winners in '07 to early season golfers the next.
NoSkillz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2008, 10:31 PM   #1107
Wolfpack
Pro Rookie

Carolina gets help from the Pens in turn today as they get the fluke own-goal from Backstrom late to beat the Caps 4-2. Carolina now up seven points on Washington (the Caps now have just one game in-hand) and are playing as well as they did when they got off to that great start early in the season (13-5-1 since the All-Star break). Things are looking better for the playoffs. I wouldn't dare hope for a deep run, but after all the adversity with injuries, illnesses, and the like, this team has played with tremendous heart.
Old 03-10-2008, 07:29 AM   #1108
Draft Dodger
Coordinator

and as soon as I say something nice about the Avs, they get absolutely smoked by the Stars. Forsberg missed the game with a groin injury, Foote missed the game with a hip injury, and Salei left the game with an eye injury - there's your three deadline acquisitions right there.
Old 03-10-2008, 07:05 PM   #1109
Dr. Sak
Grizzled Veteran

Hey Rangers fans!!

Dr. Sak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2008, 07:49 PM   #1110
Logan
Head Coach

I reported that post.
Old 03-18-2008, 12:51 PM   #1111
Pyser
Pro Rookie

i dont know how this isnt tampering, but uh, cool for the devils i guess

The Devils will sign former Oilers captain Jason Smith this summer when he's an unrestricted free agent. Smith started his NHL career with the Devils.

Edmonton Journal
Pyser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2008, 01:00 PM   #1112
Honolulu_Blue
Hockey Boy

The Wings finally signed Super Dan Cleary to a contract extension. $14 million over 5 years, which comes out to about $2.8 million a year. I think Holland was angling at $2.5 million, but considering Cleary would have likely made a lot more than $2.8 million on the open market, it's a great deal. He scored 20 goals in 57 games before getting hurt. He can play in any situation and can play both on a top line and a third line. He's been a great player for the Wings and I think the deal is fair and another indication of a "home town" discount for the Wings.

The Wings had finally righted the ship. They won 5 in a row after their terrible February where they only won 2 out of 12. It's not at all surprising to see the Wings' fortunes make a turn for the better as soon as they got Kronwall, Rafalski, and Lidstrom back. So much of the Wings' offense comes from their defense. Their entire puck control style relies on capable, skilled defensemen who are able to carry the puck and make that first great outlet pass. When your top pairing is Brett Lebda and Andrea Lilja, that's not going to happen. The loss of Lidstrom was catastrophic the Wings' defense as well. He's a steadying force back there and they completely rely on him. Up until the knee injury, I think he's only missed something like 15 games over the course of his entire career. If what we saw when he was out is any indication of what the Wings will look like post-Lidstrom, I am afraid. Very, very afraid...

More recently, however, they are mired in a 2 game slump. It's annoying to constantly struggle against Nashville, Columbus, Chicago, and the like.

The Wings will have plenty of opportunities to work out any kinks against these teams. Just look at the Wings SUPER SWEET schedule the rest of the way: Columbus-Nashville-Columbus-St. Louis-St. Louis-Nashville-Chicago-Columbus-Chicago.

As was my worry when the season began, the Wings' goaltending situation is beginning to be troublesome. Hasek has not seemed sharp in a few months. These minor aches, the hip thing, the back thing, make me nervous. He's old and easily distracted. I have a hard time seeing him making it through the entire playoffs. Osgood hasn't been too stellar of late either. A creaky Hasek and Osgood do not lift one's spirits.
Steve Yzerman: 1,755 points in 1,514 regular season games. 185 points in 196 postseason games. A First-Team All-Star, Conn Smythe Trophy winner, Selke Trophy winner, Masterton Trophy winner, member of the Hockey Hall of Fame, Olympic gold medallist, and a three-time Stanley Cup Champion. Longest serving captain of one team in the history of the NHL (19 seasons).
Old 03-18-2008, 08:41 PM   #1113
MikeVic
Head Coach

So, I'm watching a replay of PTI and they show a goal just scored on the Leafs.

Wow. I think Jay Onrait just chuckled and didn't say anything.
MikeVic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2008, 08:52 PM   #1114
Maple Leafs
Coordinator

Vesa Toskala may have surrendered the worst goal in NHL history. If you didn't see it, check Youtube tomorrow -- there will be about 800 versions of it.

To his credit he stood on his head the rest of the way. The Leafs were down 1-0 in the third and no doubt every Toronto sports writer was getting their "You can't spell Toskala without s-a-l-o" jokes ready, but the Leafs ruined it by pulling out a 3-1 win.
Old 03-18-2008, 08:53 PM   #1115
DeToxRox
Head Coach

What was said goal?
DeToxRox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2008, 08:55 PM   #1116
Maple Leafs
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeToxRox View Post
What was said goal?
A 180-foot slapshot that bounced about a half dozen times.

The ice was awful all night, and it just ate him up. The last bounce was a ridiculous hop over his shoulder. It was a one-in-million fluke, but will probably follow him to his grave.
Old 03-18-2008, 08:56 PM   #1117
TazFTW
Pro Rookie

The Rangers need to sign Avery.

Fire Ron Lee.
TazFTW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2008, 08:56 PM   #1118
DeToxRox
Head Coach

Old 03-18-2008, 08:56 PM   #1119
DeToxRox
Head Coach

I love youtube.
Old 03-18-2008, 08:58 PM   #1120
Dr. Sak
Grizzled Veteran

Caron did that with Pittsburgh a few years ago.
Old 03-18-2008, 08:58 PM   #1121
TazFTW
Pro Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeToxRox View Post

&nbsp

Wow.

Fire Ron Lee.
Old 03-18-2008, 08:59 PM   #1122
DeToxRox
Head Coach

This is still the worst goal as that goal killed a career.
Old 03-18-2008, 08:59 PM   #1123
DeToxRox
Head Coach

Plus, I dig that song.
Old 03-18-2008, 09:11 PM   #1124
Maple Leafs
Coordinator

Here's the live game clip:

Old 03-18-2008, 09:13 PM   #1125
Dr. Sak
Grizzled Veteran

Southwest needs to use that in a commercial...

"Wanna get away...."
Old 03-18-2008, 09:23 PM   #1126
Maple Leafs
Coordinator

It wasn't Toskala's fault. Ponikoravski puts his stick out and deflects it -- he needs to get down and block that shot!
Old 03-18-2008, 09:26 PM   #1127
General Mike
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by TazFTW View Post
The Rangers need to sign Avery.

Need to, but won't.
General Mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2008, 09:47 PM   #1128
Wolfpack
Pro Rookie

I can't stop chuckling over that shot...

On a more serious note, the Caps picked up two more points against Nashville so Carolina's lead is down to three with eight to play for both sides (and Florida's now five back with their recent streak). Carolina has back-to-back roadies starting tomorrow night in Atlanta then Thursday in Florida. Needless to say, it's important that they win these games. The Canes do get a little advantage as Washington has to play the next five on the road including one in Raleigh next Tuesday.
Old 03-19-2008, 08:17 AM   #1129
Fidatelo
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maple Leafs View Post
It wasn't Toskala's fault. Ponikoravski puts his stick out and deflects it -- he needs to get down and block that shot!

Don Cherry has been telling those players for YEARS to stop deflecting shots with their sticks. Will they never learn?
"Breakfast? Breakfast schmekfast, look at the score for God's sake. It's only the second period and I'm winning 12-2. Breakfasts come and go, Rene, but Hartford, the Whale, they only beat Vancouver maybe once or twice in a lifetime."
Fidatelo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2008, 11:21 AM   #1130
Suburban Rhythm
Pro Starter

Been meaning to mention here for awhle, I got my THN Future Watch a few weeks back.

If anyone is interested, I can try and post their team's top 10 prospects.
Suburban Rhythm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2008, 06:16 PM   #1131
Suburban Rhythm
Pro Starter

Bumping...this is pretty weird. I posted above at 12:21, yet the thread remained on the 2nd page, showing Fidatelo's post at 9:17 as the last post?

Old 03-19-2008, 08:11 PM   #1132
Dr. Sak
Grizzled Veteran

Is anyone else watching this Buffalo/Tampa game? What a comeback by Buffalo.
Old 03-19-2008, 08:18 PM   #1133
TazFTW
Pro Rookie

w00t, Drury!

Fire Ron Lee.
Old 03-19-2008, 08:20 PM   #1134
Dr. Sak
Grizzled Veteran

Unbelieveable....down 4-1...the Sabers have scored 4 goals in like 5 minutes.
Old 03-19-2008, 08:39 PM   #1135
TazFTW
Pro Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by bsak16 View Post
Unbelieveable....down 4-1...the Sabers have scored 4 goals in like 5 minutes.

Geez, 6 goals in the 3rd period.

Fire Ron Lee.
Old 03-19-2008, 08:40 PM   #1136
TazFTW
Pro Rookie

Nigel Dawes is awesome.

Fire Ron Lee.
Old 03-19-2008, 10:31 PM   #1137
NoSkillz
College Benchwarmer

The Sabres continue to confound...after tonight, they are now the highest scoring team in the NHL.

How the hell did that happen?
NoSkillz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2008, 12:41 AM   #1138
Chief Rum
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suburban Rhythm View Post
Been meaning to mention here for awhle, I got my THN Future Watch a few weeks back.

Yeah, those are always fun. What do they have on the Ducks and Kings? Thanks!

I would rather be wrong...Than live in the shadows of your song...My mind is open wide...And now I'm ready to start...You're not sure...You open the door...And step out into the dark...Now I'm ready.
Chief Rum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2008, 09:05 AM   #1139
Honolulu_Blue
Hockey Boy

Quote:
Originally Posted by NoSkillz View Post
The Sabres continue to confound...after tonight, they are now the highest scoring team in the NHL.

How the hell did that happen?

Every time I see the score of a Sabres game they are either blowing someone out or getting blown out. There doesn't seem to be a lot of middle-ground with this team.
Old 03-20-2008, 10:37 AM   #1140
RendeR
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Honolulu_Blue View Post
Every time I see the score of a Sabres game they are either blowing someone out or getting blown out. There doesn't seem to be a lot of middle-ground with this team.

TELL ME ABOUT IT.

gah.

Awesome game last night though, Telle and I met up with Chubby and his Fiancee and we were all bumming after 2 periods, then all hell broke loose!!

Great night overall!
RendeR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2008, 10:39 AM   #1141
MikeVic
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by RendeR View Post
TELL ME ABOUT IT.

gah.

Awesome game last night though, Telle and I met up with Chubby and his Fiancee and we were all bumming after 2 periods, then all hell broke loose!!

Great night overall!

Pics.
Old 03-20-2008, 10:45 AM   #1142
Fidatelo
Pro Starter

Lol @ MikeVic!
"Breakfast? Breakfast schmekfast, look at the score for God's sake. It's only the second period and I'm winning 12-2. Breakfasts come and go, Rene, but Hartford, the Whale, they only beat Vancouver maybe once or twice in a lifetime."
Fidatelo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2008, 12:44 PM   #1143
duff88
College Prospect

Yes, Chris Osgood is indeed a nerd.

Last edited by duff88 : 03-20-2008 at 12:44 PM.
duff88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2008, 12:49 PM   #1144
MikeVic
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fidatelo View Post
Lol @ MikeVic!

Hey I just want to see what FOFCers look like.
Old 03-20-2008, 01:08 PM   #1145
RendeR
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeVic View Post
Pics.

I tried to snag some pics with my camera phone, but it was too dark at the pub. Sorry to dissapoint dude
Old 03-20-2008, 01:13 PM   #1146
RendeR
Coordinator

I give Chubby some props though, he found himself a cutie!

We all really had a great time last night, I wish more of the buffalo area folks could have come!
Old 03-20-2008, 01:18 PM   #1147
Draft Dodger
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by duff88 View Post

Yes, Chris Osgood is indeed a nerd.

that's Alton Brown!
Old 03-20-2008, 01:34 PM   #1148
MikeVic
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by RendeR View Post
I give Chubby some props though, he found himself a cutie!

We all really had a great time last night, I wish more of the buffalo area folks could have come!

Dammit. Don't tease.
Old 03-20-2008, 02:07 PM   #1149
Suburban Rhythm
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chief Rum View Post
Yeah, those are always fun. What do they have on the Ducks and Kings? Thanks!

They used to give a ETA on the NHL roster, but no longer do that.
Player with rank in the top 75, draft position and current league.

21 and under grade= prospects plus any NHLers age 21 or under.
Leveling rank is comparison of ranking and teams avg draft position int he last 4 drafts. For example, Pittsburgh has the #1 21 and under grade (due to Crosby, Malkin, Staal & Letang). Avg draft position of 6.3 is 3rd highest during the period, so Pittsburgh's a +2.

Ducks

21 and under grade: C+ (21st out of 30)
Leveling = -12 (ADP of 12.3 (ranks 9th))

1) Bobby Ryan RW (7th overall) 2nd overall pick 2005 draft - AHL
2) Brian Salcido D (NR) 141st in 2005 -AHL
3) Brendan Mikkelson D (NR) 31st in 2005 -AHL
4) JP Levasseur G (NR) 197th in 2005 - AHL
5) Petteri Wirtanen C (NR) 172nd in 2006 - AHL
6) Logan Macmillan C (NR) 19th in 2007 - QMJHL
7) Eric Tangradi C (NR) 42nd in 2007 - OHL
8) Mark Mitera D (NR) 19th in 2006 - CCHA
9) Matt Belesky LW (NR) 112th in 2006 - OHL
10) Maxime Macenauer C (NR) 63rd in 2007 - QMJHL

Kings

21 and under: A- (5th of 30) (includes Kopitar and J Johnson)
Leveling: +1 (ADP 9.3 ranks 6th)

1) Jonathan Bernier G (10th) 11th in 2006 - QMJHL
2) Teddy Purcell RW (26th) 2007 free agent - AHL
3) Thomas Hickey D (30th) 4th in 2007 - WHL
4) Brian Boyle C (72nd) 26th in 2003 - AHL
5) Trevor Lewis C (NR) 17th in 2006 - AHL
6) Oscar Moller RW (NR) 52nd in 2007 - WHL
7) Wayne Simmonds RW (NR) 61st in 2007 - OHL
8) Lauri Tukonen RW (NR) 11th in 2004 - AHL
9) Jaff Zatkoff G (NR) 74th in 2006 - CCHA
10) Jon Quick G (NR) 72nd in 2005 - ECHL

Last edited by Suburban Rhythm : 03-20-2008 at 02:34 PM.
Old 03-20-2008, 02:10 PM   #1150
TazFTW
Pro Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suburban Rhythm View Post

Could you post the Rangers? Thanks.

Fire Ron Lee.