Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Archives > FOFC Archive
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 06-06-2007, 08:44 PM   #1101
Dr. Sak
Grizzled Veteran

Who is rooting harder for an Anaheim victory...the fans or NBC so they don't have to show another game?
Dr. Sak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2007, 09:49 PM   #1102
Maple Leafs
Coordinator

Funny story... a buddy of mine bought season's tickets for next year just so he could get tickets for the Finals. Then people were paying such high prices for scalped tickets that he sold his game three and four tickets. He held onto those game six tickets, though. Strong move there.
Old 06-06-2007, 09:50 PM   #1103
Chief Rum
Hall Of Famer

AND YOUR 2007 NATIONAL HOCKEY LEAGUE CHAMPIONS!!!

THE ANAHEIM DUCKS!!!
Chief Rum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2007, 09:52 PM   #1104
Maple Leafs
Coordinator

Congrats, Chief.

(What's it like?)
Old 06-06-2007, 09:53 PM   #1105
Chief Rum
Hall Of Famer

Wow, I'm so happy for this team. There are just a bunch of strong character guys in this lockerroom that deserve this more than just about anyone, starting with Teemu and Jiggy. God willing, they'll both be back. But I fear they have played their last games with us.

If there's a way you want to go out, though, this is the way.
Old 06-06-2007, 09:55 PM   #1106
Chief Rum
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maple Leafs View Post
Congrats, Chief.

(What's it like?)

I know you do and don't really want an answer to that at the same time. Being a Leafs fan must feel a little like the Angels before 2002, except amped even more because of their status in NHL lore.

I wish everyone could feel how I feel right now.
Old 06-06-2007, 09:56 PM   #1107
Chief Rum
Hall Of Famer

Oh, and thanks. It's just me and bhlloy on this board, right? Drinks are on us (bhlloy's got first round).
Old 06-06-2007, 10:01 PM   #1108
SackAttack
Head Coach

I'm happy for Rob Niedermayer, although I wish he could've gotten his sip from the Cup in '96.
SackAttack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2007, 10:01 PM   #1109
Maple Leafs
Coordinator

They just interviewed Cousin Chris on CBC... cool to see him to get some spotlight time, my wife's grandmother and family were all watching the game tonight to see him.
Old 06-06-2007, 10:06 PM   #1110
Draft Dodger
Coordinator

I DONT HAVE TO LISTEN TO PIERRE MCGUIRE FOR LIKE 3 MORE MONTHS!!!
Old 06-06-2007, 10:12 PM   #1111
Maple Leafs
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Draft Dodger View Post
He apparently had a falling out with the local radio station this morning. He came on the air in the morning (as he does every day), but apparently he was still a little sleepy and forgot that this is Ottawa, and you have to sugarcoat everything and find a silver lining on every failure, so he ripped the Sens. That didn't sit well with the hosts, and the listening audience basically reacted with the sort of stunned silence that Marty McFly got at the end of Back to the Future.

So good times, basically.
Old 06-06-2007, 10:12 PM   #1112
Chief Rum
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by SackAttack View Post
I'm happy for Rob Niedermayer, although I wish he could've gotten his sip from the Cup in '96.

Since that would have also stopped one of Roy's Cups, yes, I agree, I would have liked to have seen that, too.

Hey, bhlloy, where are our drinks?
Old 06-06-2007, 10:13 PM   #1113
Chief Rum
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
They just interviewed Cousin Chris on CBC... cool to see him to get some spotlight time, my wife's grandmother and family were all watching the game tonight to see him.

Kunitz? I know you have been asking about him. I didn't realize you were related.

I am still shocked he played in this series. Now that's a gamer. Don't tell me his hand doesn't hurt like hell right now.
Old 06-06-2007, 10:15 PM   #1114
Chief Rum
Hall Of Famer

lol..."Service Unavailable" at anaheimducks.com.

We crashed the site.
Old 06-06-2007, 10:15 PM   #1115
Maple Leafs
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chief Rum View Post
Kunitz? I know you have been asking about him. I didn't realize you were related.
Yeah. Well, by marriage twice (my wife is his cousin) but it's as close as I'll ever get.
Old 06-06-2007, 10:17 PM   #1116
Chief Rum
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Yeah. Well, by marriage twice (my wife is his cousin) but it's as close as I'll ever get.

Close enough in my book. That means we're related via marriage and team.

Does that mean I have to start rooting for the Leafs?
Old 06-06-2007, 10:19 PM   #1117
Maple Leafs
Coordinator

Quote:
Does that mean I have to start rooting for the Leafs?
After we poach Brian Burke, you might.
Old 06-06-2007, 10:21 PM   #1118
Chief Rum
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
After we poach Brian Burke, you might.

Hands off! We're keeping him. And stay away from Carlyle, too.

You can take Brad May.
Old 06-06-2007, 10:22 PM   #1119
Chief Rum
Hall Of Famer

Actually, naw, we'll keep May, too. We'll ship you some pucks and ice chips.
Old 06-06-2007, 10:24 PM   #1120
Maple Leafs
Coordinator

Quote:
We'll ship you some pucks and ice chips.
Sounds like we found a new first-line winger for Mats.
Old 06-06-2007, 10:24 PM   #1121
Chief Rum
Hall Of Famer

Quote:

Hey, speaking of which, how close are they and/or their families? I mean, are you actually going to get to be in the company of the Cup sometime this summer?

Last edited by Chief Rum : 06-06-2007 at 10:24 PM.
Old 06-06-2007, 10:24 PM   #1122
Chief Rum
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Sounds like we found a new first-line winger for Mats.

The pucks or the chips?
Old 06-06-2007, 10:25 PM   #1123
Maple Leafs
Coordinator

Quote:
Hey, speaking of which, how close are they and/or their families? I mean, are you actually going to get to be int he company of the Cup sometime this summer?
My wife has never met him, although she knows all about him from the family. She's going out to Regina with the baby this summer and we were hoping he might have the Cup that week, but apparently he's actually from Calgary. So no dice.

Edit: About three years ago I went out to small-town Saskatchewan with the wife. Every relative I met was like "Oh, you're a hockey fan, do you know Chris Kunitz, he was drafted by the Ducks". They even have his picture hanging in the arena. And every time I was like "oh yeah, I think I've heard of him" all the while laughing at these smalltown folks and their minor league scrub of a local hero. Oops.

Last edited by Maple Leafs : 06-06-2007 at 10:27 PM.
Maple Leafs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2007, 10:27 PM   #1124
Maple Leafs
Coordinator

Quote:
The pucks or the chips?
He needs two wingers, doesn't he?
Old 06-06-2007, 10:29 PM   #1125
Chief Rum
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
My wife has never met him, although she knows all about him from the family. She's going out to Regina with the baby this summer and we were hoping he might have the Cup that week, but apparently he's actually from Calgary. So no dice.

Edit: About three years ago I went out to small-town Saskatchewan with the wife. Every relative I met was like "Oh, you're a hockey fan, do you know Chris Kunitz, he was drafted by the Ducks". They even have his picture hanging in the arena. And every time I was like "oh yeah, I think I've heard of him" all the while laughing at these smalltown folks and their minor league scrub of a local hero. Oops.

Funny stuff. Yeah, we signed him out of the NCAA's. We have had some success with that (also got McDonald and Penner that way). He was relatively unknown, but had a good looking game.

One of our local sports guys just interviewed him. He said he would probably bring the Cup around to show "friends and family" and talked about family a lot. Sounds like you have a trip to Calgary to plan.
Old 06-06-2007, 10:31 PM   #1126
Chief Rum
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
He needs two wingers, doesn't he?

Touché.
Old 06-06-2007, 10:34 PM   #1127
SackAttack
Head Coach

Say, Chief, how long before the Ducks get renamed to the Los Angeles Ducks of Anaheim, now that they've won a championship?
Old 06-06-2007, 10:34 PM   #1128
Wolfpack
Pro Rookie

Quote:
I wish everyone could feel how I feel right now.

I do. I experienced it last year. Great, isn't it? Watching the celebration brought all those good memories back. Well, not that they ever left or anything. I still have last year's CBC broadcast of Game Seven and the celebration on my DVR. I really need to figure out how to get it to DVD somehow.

Congrats to you and your Ducks. Have fun with the Cup!
Wolfpack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2007, 10:36 PM   #1129
nilodor
College Benchwarmer

Quote:

God bless the CBC, I tried to watch a little bit of the NBC feed and it would be fine if I unplugged my speakers.
nilodor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2007, 10:37 PM   #1130
Chief Rum
Hall Of Famer

Hockey fans everywhere will appreciate this exchange between a local sports guy and Pronger (even if they hate him like most do).

Fred Roggin: Did you separate your shoulder?
Chris Pronger: ::so what, shrug:: Yes. Nothing was keeping me from this game.
Old 06-06-2007, 10:38 PM   #1131
Chief Rum
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Say, Chief, how long before the Ducks get renamed to the Los Angeles Ducks of Anaheim, now that they've won a championship?

Haha, don't be bitter now. If it makes you feel better, we scheduled a loss today to the Twins, thereby wrapping up our loss for this week.
Old 06-06-2007, 10:41 PM   #1132
Chief Rum
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wolfpack View Post
I do. I experienced it last year. Great, isn't it? Watching the celebration brought all those good memories back. Well, not that they ever left or anything. I still have last year's CBC broadcast of Game Seven and the celebration on my DVR. I really need to figure out how to get it to DVD somehow.

Congrats to you and your Ducks. Have fun with the Cup!

Thanks! And I was rooting for the Canes, too. It was fun seeing them win it.

I'm probably going to be buying memorabilia left and right. I already put in an order at nhl.shop.com for some stuff from tonight. I'm such a gullible impulse buyer.

I'm sure they'll do a DVD for this (someone will),a nd I'll get that, too. I would be surprised if you couldn't get a DVD celebrating the Canes' win, too.
Old 06-06-2007, 10:41 PM   #1133
Fidatelo
Pro Starter

Getzlaf saying he played his balls off was the highlight of the night for me. I love live TV!
"Breakfast? Breakfast schmekfast, look at the score for God's sake. It's only the second period and I'm winning 12-2. Breakfasts come and go, Rene, but Hartford, the Whale, they only beat Vancouver maybe once or twice in a lifetime."
Fidatelo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2007, 10:42 PM   #1134
SackAttack
Head Coach

Bitter, hell.

I think the Angel name change was retarded, but I'm certainly not bitter over it. I'm just wondering if Duck ownership is going to have the same "OMG we're champions we have to go for the regional name because Los Angeles sounds better than Anaheim" knee-jerk reaction that the Angels did.

It's like there's an inferiority complex when sports teams play in Orange County and I've never quite understood why that is.
Old 06-06-2007, 10:48 PM   #1135
Chief Rum
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Bitter, hell.

I think the Angel name change was retarded, but I'm certainly not bitter over it. I'm just wondering if Duck ownership is going to have the same "OMG we're champions we have to go for the regional name because Los Angeles sounds better than Anaheim" knee-jerk reaction that the Angels did.

It's like there's an inferiority complex when sports teams play in Orange County and I've never quite understood why that is.

Well, I don't want to detract from the Dcuks here, so I won't get into some massive discussion about that decision, but it was purely a business move. Moreno felt he could parlay the name through branding into a wider reach in the SoCal area. I'm not sure it's done much more than just the Angels being a winning team. But that's why. It has nothing to do with inferiority. That would suggest people from OC care what people from LA think, or that they care that others compare them to LA. That couldn't be further from the truth. We didn't come up with the "Orange Curtain" term for nothing. We want nothing to do with LA. We're a wholely separate area. Even though you can't tell when LA becomes Orange County in the middle of suburbia, there's really doubt that you eventually are distinctly aware you are no longer in LA once you're there.

As for Ducks ownership, the Samuelis are half of the uber-rich owners of Broadcom in Irvine, and are OC through and through. They don't want anything to do with LA.
Old 06-06-2007, 10:51 PM   #1136
SackAttack
Head Coach

Quote:
Well, I don't want to detract from the Dcuks here, so I won't get into some massive discussion about that decision, but it was purely a business move. Moreno felt he could parlay the name through branding into a wider reach in the SoCal area. I'm not sure it's done much more than just the Angels being a winning team. But that's why. It has nothing to do with inferiority. That would suggest people from OC care what people from LA think, or that they care that others compare them to LA. That couldn't be further from the truth. We didn't come up with the "Orange Curtain" term for nothing. We want nothing to do with LA. We're a wholely separate area. Even though you can't tell when LA becomes Orange County in the middle of suburbia, there's really doubt that you eventually are distinctly aware you are no longer in LA once you're there.

As for Ducks ownership, the Samuelis are half of the uber-rich owners of Broadcom in Irvine, and are OC through and through. They don't want anything to do with LA.

Last comment on the matter and then I'll let it drop so that, as you say, it doesn't detract from the Ducks.

I know the Rams played in Anaheim, called themselves the Los Angeles Rams. Fairly certain that when the Clippers first moved north, they also played in Orange County while calling themselves the Los Angeles Clippers.

Am I wrong?

PM me if you'd rather reply out of thread.
Old 06-06-2007, 10:57 PM   #1137
Pumpy Tudors
Bounty Hunter

Quote:
Hockey fans everywhere will appreciate this exchange between a local sports guy and Pronger (even if they hate him like most do).

Fred Roggin: Did you separate your shoulder?
Chris Pronger: ::so what, shrug:: Yes. Nothing was keeping me from this game.
I liked the old "Roggin's Heroes" TV show.

Congrats, Ducks! It was great to see Scott Niedermayer win one as a captain, and watching him pass the Cup off to his brother was awesome, too.
Old 06-06-2007, 10:59 PM   #1138
Chief Rum
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Last comment on the matter and then I'll let it drop so that, as you say, it doesn't detract from the Ducks.

I know the Rams played in Anaheim, called themselves the Los Angeles Rams. Fairly certain that when the Clippers first moved north, they also played in Orange County while calling themselves the Los Angeles Clippers.

Am I wrong?

PM me if you'd rather reply out of thread.

Naw, that's okay. We're still talking about the Ducks, at least periperally.

The Rams started in LA, and were playing there for a couple decades before moving to Anaheim. It made sense to keep the name because that is what people recognized. Plus, the Raiders weren't in LA yet, so even if the Rams wanted to change it (which I don't think they did), I doubt the NFL would have let them.

As for the Clips, it predates me a bit, so I might not be sure, but I thought the Clips went straight to LA from San Diego. Before moving to the Staples Center, they always played their games at the Sports Arena, IIRC.

The Clips have flirted some with moving to the Honda Center, but have never played more than a couple exhibition games there every year.
Old 06-06-2007, 11:00 PM   #1139
Chief Rum
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pumpy Tudors View Post
I liked the old "Roggin's Heroes" TV show.

Congrats, Ducks! It was great to see Scott Niedermayer win one as a captain, and watching him pass the Cup off to his brother was awesome, too.

lol...I forgot about Roggin's Heroes. That went national?

I loved seeing Scott hand the Cup to Rob. Very emotional moment. Another great moment was when they tried to talk to Teemu, and he was just blubbering happily like a kid. It was great.
Old 06-06-2007, 11:10 PM   #1140
RPI-Fan
Pro Starter

So, I played hockey with a couple of NHL (or potential NHL'ers tonight).

Matt Lashoff of the Bruins org and Nick Petrecki, who is going to BC in the fall and will be a first round pick. Lashoff was nasty; I wasn't quite as a blown away by Petrecki.
Old 06-06-2007, 11:18 PM   #1141
bhlloy
Coordinator

Drinks are definitely on me... freaking awesome stuff. I felt really good about the Ducks matching up with the Sens coming into the series, because the Sens offense was basically one line. I don't think people outside of the Western Conference knew how unbelievably good the Ducks line shut down line of Moen-Pahlsson-Niedermayer were. But I never would have seen the series comfortably over in five games.

Like Chief Rum, I'm totally stoked for so many guys on this team right now. Giggy deserved one in 2003, Teemu definitely deserved one and to win it back in Anaheim after his career looked pretty much over is amazing, Robbie Niedermayer gets one, Sean O'Donnell, May and all the young kids who have such good careers ahead of them.

Only got to see the last period because I couldn't get out of work until late because we have electrical contractors in, so I'm watching the first two periods on Tivo right now. I know I wasn't really comfortable until the Travis Moen goal went in... you could see the Sens deflate when that one went in.

The Ducks are also 2-0 without Chris Pronger. I'm not sure what that means, except maybe I owe Kent Huskins and Joe DiPenta an apology. I definitely owe Brian Burke one as well, because Brad May definitely helped big time in the playoffs. I thought the failure to pick up another defenseman at the deadline would kill us, but Beauchemain really stepped up and gave us three top class Dmen, which I guess is all you really need.

Second best sport related feeling ever after Cardiff City won the League One playoff final in the last 5 minutes of extra time. I don't think I've ever been a fan of a team that has won anything else, ever.
bhlloy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2007, 12:00 AM   #1142
Chief Rum
Hall Of Famer

Going to the rally, bhlloy? Looks like it will be Saturday.

I know it always sounds so sad sack after the series is over to say this, but I honestly feel a bit bad for the Senators. I kinow this won't make any friends for me amongst our Leaf contingent, but I have always liked the Sens. They have a lot of quality guys, too. I felt really bad for Phillips. I mean, he's going to be kicking himself forever on that one (he's probably sorta glad it wasn't a one goal game at least).
Old 06-07-2007, 12:17 AM   #1143
General Mike
Pro Starter

Congrats to the Ducks and Duck fans.
General Mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2007, 12:25 AM   #1144
bhlloy
Coordinator

Quote:
Going to the rally, bhlloy? Looks like it will be Saturday.

Definitely
bhlloy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2007, 05:38 AM   #1145
Dr. Sak
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:

Amen Brother!
Old 06-07-2007, 06:43 AM   #1146
Suburban Rhythm
Pro Starter

How is the official 2007 NHL Offseason thread not started yet?
Suburban Rhythm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2007, 06:54 AM   #1147
Dr. Sak
Grizzled Veteran

Thanks for the reminder
Old 06-07-2007, 07:59 AM   #1148
Pumpy Tudors
Bounty Hunter

This morning, I heard on the radio that an episode of "Mama's Family" on the ION Network outdrew game 4 of the Finals. That doesn't make any sense to me, unless it's either the episode on which the Harpers go on "Family Feud" or the episode in which Mama Harper does professional wrestling.
Old 06-07-2007, 09:35 AM   #1149
Honolulu_Blue
Hockey Boy

A solid effort by the Ducks. They were clearly the better team in the Finals. Ottawa had no answer for them.

Burke's built and impressive team. With the youth and skill upfront and with Neidermayer and Pronger on the blueline, they should be very good for quite sometime.
Steve Yzerman: 1,755 points in 1,514 regular season games. 185 points in 196 postseason games. A First-Team All-Star, Conn Smythe Trophy winner, Selke Trophy winner, Masterton Trophy winner, member of the Hockey Hall of Fame, Olympic gold medallist, and a three-time Stanley Cup Champion. Longest serving captain of one team in the history of the NHL (19 seasons).
Honolulu_Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2007, 09:45 AM   #1150
Maple Leafs
Coordinator

Before this thread disappears, let's look back at some of the memories we all shared...

Getting the suspense out of the way early
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maple Leafs, before round one

The correct answers are:

EAST
Sabres over Islanders in 4
Devils over Lightning in 5
Rangers over Thrashers in 6
Senators over Penguins in 5

WEST
Red Wings over Flames in 5
Ducks over Wild in 6
Canucks over Stars in 6
Sharks over Preds in 7

Stanley Cup pick: Anahiem over Ottawa.

It only took one round for everyone else to be wrong.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maple Leafs, before the playoffs

I'm surprised to see everyone picking the Pens over Ottawa.

Mark my words, the Sens have a "2006 Colts" vibe happening this year. They always choked when they were the favorites, but now that the pressure is off, look out...

Maple Leafs brings his A+ game
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maple Leafs, responding to Render mocking his Sens pick

The Senators fold whenever they run into any adversity. I think they're good enough to get through the first two rounds without hitting much in the way of adversity. That sets up a showdown with Buffalo in the conference finals, which I think is the worst possible matchup for the Sabres.

I can't predict everything. For example, I missed "shooting the puck at someone after the period ends"
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maple Leafs
Ottawa has been one of the dirtier teams in hockey for six years. But they were feuding with the Leafs, who were probably the dirtiest, and the hockey media treats feuds the same way the WWF did in the mid-80s. So the Sens got their halos, and they've been wearing them ever since (removing them occasionally to sucker punch, head hunt, or groin kick, but oh well).

But really, who's keeping track?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maple Leafs, before the second round

Once again, the correct answers are:

Detroit vs San Jose - Wings in 6
Anaheim vs Vancouver - Ducks in 5

Buffalo vs New York - Sabres in 5
New Jersey vs Ottawa - Senators in 6

And my Cup pick remains: Ducks over Sens

Getting cocky
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maple Leafs, before round three

And I don't even need to make any more predictions, since I had the correct Stanley Cup result (Ducks over Senators) in my first post.

Good times, good times...