Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Archives > FOFC Archive
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 06-20-2007, 09:09 PM   #1101
Neuqua
Pro Rookie

Sammy hits #600. Against the Cubs.
Our Deepest fear is not that we are inadequate. Our deepest fear is that we are powerful beyond measure. It is our light, not our darkness that most frightens us. We ask ourselves, 'Who am I to be brilliant, gorgeous, talented, fabulous?' Actually, who are you not to be?
Neuqua is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2007, 09:26 PM   #1102
Chief Rum
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neuqua View Post
Sammy hits #600. Against the Cubs.

Was it at Wrigley?

Lou should have had the umps check the bat for cork. That would have been great.
Chief Rum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2007, 09:27 PM   #1103
JPhillips
Hall Of Famer

17 fucking losses from the Reds bullpen.

How come Krivsky can't fix the easiest problem on a baseball team? Weathers is serviceable as a closer, but the rest of the relievers are terrible.
Old 06-20-2007, 09:39 PM   #1104
Chief Rum
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by JPhillips View Post

How come Krivsky can't fix the easiest problem on a baseball team? Weathers is serviceable as a closer, but the rest of the relievers are terrible.

Actually, since most bullpens in baseball seem to be pretty crappy, I would guess it is difficult to put together an effective pen. It's probably not so hard to find a good closer and set up man, because they are more obvious, but the real key to successful pens, IMO, is getting quality guys for those sixth and seventh inning bridges and quality depth for when your star relievers have pitched too much. And that's where most teams fail miserably.

Coincidentally, I was just thinking about the Reds' pen a few minutes ago when I read the earlier post about Homer Bailey. If your pen had been better, he might have gotten a win last week against the Angels. Not trying to rub it in--just thought it was a mildly odd coincidence.
Old 06-20-2007, 09:41 PM   #1105
JPhillips
Hall Of Famer

I imagine a large number of those seventeen losses were wins turned into losses by the pen. Today was just another example of taking the starter out with a lead and losing the game.
Old 06-20-2007, 10:43 PM   #1106
sterlingice
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by st.cronin View Post
Maybe not "giving up on the season" but instead "giving up on a catcher who can't get along with the pitching staff."

Yeah, I gotta think when he's fighting with pitchers, it's more of an addition by subtraction.

Then again, since that little incident Zambrano has pitched pretty well...

SI

Janos: "Only America could produce an imbecile of your caliber!"
Freakazoid: "That's because we make lots of things better than other people!"

sterlingice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2007, 02:21 AM   #1107
dawgfan
Grizzled Veteran

In case you start noticing flying pigs, dogs and cats living together and a cool chill rising from hell, be aware that Jeff Weaver pitched a 4-hit shutout tonight against Pittsburgh, striking out 5 and walking 2 for a game score of 82.
dawgfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2007, 06:58 AM   #1108
Butter
Coordinator

Quote:

Krivsky being desperate to fix this problem led to the Kearns-Lopez/Majewski-Bray trade from last year. Lest we forget that crapfest. I don't know if we want to tempt him. Truthfully, I would be more than happy if they would just go super young at this point and bring up Votto, Bruce, etc. Let them have some on-the-job training.
Old 06-21-2007, 07:02 AM   #1109
Ksyrup
This guy has posted so much, his fingers are about to fall off.

I would think the bullpen is one of the more perplexing and less static components of a team. We've seen teams full of all-star relievers suck, and teams with rejects, failed starters, and injury kings put together solid seasons. That's not to say the Reds have great talent in their bullpen that should be performing better, but sometimes the crapshoot turns out poorly.
M's pitcher Miguel Batista: "Now, I feel like I've had everything. I've talked pitching with Sandy Koufax, had Kenny G play for me. Maybe if I could have an interview with God, then I'd be served. I'd be complete."
Ksyrup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2007, 07:23 AM   #1110
sterlingice
Hall Of Famer

Dang. It took 14 innings but the Cards salvaged the series in St Louis and tied the season series at 3. I ended up going to sleep just moments before it happened, too. After the Royals couldn't score in the top of the 14th with DeJesus at 3rd and 1 out, I decided it was time to sleep since it was about 12:30.

Gordon puts up a 4 for 6 and is now up to .228 up 55 points from the .173 he was hitting 2 weeks ago on June 6th (22 for 52 in that stretch or .423)

SI

Last edited by sterlingice : 06-21-2007 at 07:45 AM.
Old 06-21-2007, 07:29 AM   #1111
Ksyrup

I'm hopeful that the Yankees will have a crappy end to the first half of the season and essentially put themselves in such a hole that they would have to play like .700+ baseball in the second half to get back into it. They've lost 2 straight in Colorado, and I'm hoping that means the recent winning streak was due more to the competition (weak White Sox and Pirates, slumping D-Backs and Mets) than the Yankees turning it around. After the Rockies, they get the Giants and Orioles, but then they finish with the A's, Twins, and Angels.
M's pitcher Miguel Batista: "Now, I feel like I've had everything. I've talked pitching with Sandy Koufax, had Kenny G play for me. Maybe if I could have an interview with God, then I'd be served. I'd be complete."
Old 06-21-2007, 07:37 AM   #1112
JPhillips
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Butter_of_69 View Post
Krivsky being desperate to fix this problem led to the Kearns-Lopez/Majewski-Bray trade from last year. Lest we forget that crapfest. I don't know if we want to tempt him. Truthfully, I would be more than happy if they would just go super young at this point and bring up Votto, Bruce, etc. Let them have some on-the-job training.

When they trade Hatteberg and Conine that should open things up for Votto. Bruce just moved to AA, so it's too early to bring him up.

I'm torn between blowing the team up and keeping it mostly intact. What I can't figure out is how good the team could be with even a league average bullpen. It seems like Harang/Arroyo/Bailey/Lohse/Belisle should be enough in the Central and the best trade options in the lineup are having good years (Griffey/Dunn/Phillips). But there's also no denying that this team could end with the worst record in the league.

I hope some moves are made. Hatteberg/Conine/Lohse/Weathers/Stanton/Guardado(if healthy)/Valentin should all go regardless of record. The big questions are Griffey and Dunn.
Old 06-21-2007, 08:33 AM   #1113
Ksyrup

Re Jason Schmidt's surgery:

Dodgers trainer Stan Conte said Schmidt had surgery to repair an inflamed bursa, a torn labrum and a frayed biceps tendon in his right shoulder. Both the labrum tear and the frayed tendon were unexpected.
Old 06-21-2007, 08:48 AM   #1114
MikeVic
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chief Rum View Post
I realize most of you were probably asleep by the time the game ended, but did any of you find a way to catch the Angels-Astros on Monday night? That was one hell of a game. And Figgins did something Monday that has only been done two other times in major league baseball history, from what I understand.

What did Figgins do?
MikeVic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2007, 08:55 AM   #1115
Ksyrup

Not exactly sure what Chief is referring to, since there are probably multiple ways to carve up a 6-hit, walk-off triple performance by a switch-hitter into "only X number of players have ever done that before" categories.

Last edited by Ksyrup : 06-21-2007 at 08:55 AM.
Old 06-21-2007, 09:27 AM   #1116
MrBug708
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ksyrup View Post
Re Jason Schmidt's surgery:

Dodgers trainer Stan Conte said Schmidt had surgery to repair an inflamed bursa, a torn labrum and a frayed biceps tendon in his right shoulder. Both the labrum tear and the frayed tendon were unexpected.

As much as I've always hated Barry Bonds, I'd trade Juan Pierre and Jason Schmidt straight up. Just to get rid of those contracts.
MrBug708 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2007, 09:37 AM   #1117
Ksyrup

I can't believe Tom Hicks came right out and suggested Juan Gone was on steroids. Seems pretty irresponsible. Was he specifically mentioned by Conseco in his book? He, Conseco, and Palmeiro were all in Texas at the same time, weren't they?

"I have no knowledge that Juan used steroids. His number of injuries and early retirement just makes me suspicious," Hicks wrote in an e-mail to The Associated Press on Wednesday. "In any event, we paid him $24 million for very few games."

Hicks was responding to questions about a television interview in which he was asked about decisions he regretted since owning the team, then mentioned the oft-injured outfielder and steroids.

"Juan Gonzalez for $24 million after he came off steroids, probably, we just gave that money away," Hicks said in the interview, aired June 10 on KTVT-TV in Dallas-Fort Worth.
Old 06-21-2007, 09:49 AM   #1118
MikeVic
Head Coach

Quote:
Not exactly sure what Chief is referring to, since there are probably multiple ways to carve up a 6-hit, walk-off triple performance by a switch-hitter into "only X number of players have ever done that before" categories.

Haha, hmm. I didn't look at Monday's box. For some reason I looked at the Wednesday box before asking, and didn't see anything special. Six hits is good.
Old 06-21-2007, 10:11 AM   #1119
Ksyrup

It was one of those games that justifies Jayson Stark's existence - gives him fodder for his Useless Information columns.
Old 06-21-2007, 10:33 AM   #1120
miami_fan
Coordinator

Quote:
I can't believe Tom Hicks came right out and suggested Juan Gone was on steroids. Seems pretty irresponsible. Was he specifically mentioned by Conseco in his book? He, Conseco, and Palmeiro were all in Texas at the same time, weren't they?

"I have no knowledge that Juan used steroids. His number of injuries and early retirement just makes me suspicious," Hicks wrote in an e-mail to The Associated Press on Wednesday. "In any event, we paid him $24 million for very few games."

Hicks was responding to questions about a television interview in which he was asked about decisions he regretted since owning the team, then mentioned the oft-injured outfielder and steroids.

"Juan Gonzalez for $24 million after he came off steroids, probably, we just gave that money away," Hicks said in the interview, aired June 10 on KTVT-TV in Dallas-Fort Worth.

I don't think it is anymore irresponsible than the "suggestions" that others (including myself) have made about other players. Canseco, Palmeiro, AND Ivan Rodriguez (Hey if we are speculating we can't leave him out!) were all on that '92 team with Gonzales. Juan Gone jumped from 27 homers in 142 games in 1991 to 43 homers in 155 games in 1992. Others have convicted in the court of public opinion for less.
"The blind soldier fought for me in this war. The least I can do now is fight for him. I have eyes. He hasn’t. I have a voice on the radio, he hasn’t. I was born a white man. And until a colored man is a full citizen, like me, I haven’t the leisure to enjoy the freedom that colored man risked his life to maintain for me. I don’t own what I have until he owns an equal share of it. Until somebody beats me and blinds me, I am in his debt."- Orson Welles August 11, 1946
miami_fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2007, 10:38 AM   #1121
Ksyrup

It's one thing for anonymous nobodies on a messageboard to speculate, it's another for an MLB team owner to do the same. Especially since it suggests he had an idea at the time that they were throwing away their money. Kinda backs up Giambi's comment that MLB should apologize, when Cashman and others have steadfastly maintained they knew nothing until recently. The owner ofr the D-Backs got himself in a little hot water by making a similar comment about Luis Gonzalez last year, if I recall.
Old 06-21-2007, 10:49 AM   #1122
miami_fan
Coordinator

Quote:
It's one thing for anonymous nobodies on a messageboard to speculate, it's another for an MLB team owner to do the same. Especially since it suggests he had an idea at the time that they were throwing away their money. Kinda backs up Giambi's comment that MLB should apologize, when Cashman and others have steadfastly maintained they knew nothing until recently. The owner ofr the D-Backs got himself in a little hot water by making a similar comment about Luis Gonzalez last year, if I recall.

Since I firmly believe that the vast majority of the people involved in baseball(players, managers, medical personnel, owners etc.) knew exactly what was going on, he is just confirming what I already knew.

Based on Bud Selig's treatment of Giambi, I think the comments made by Hicks should force him to tell the truth, the whole truth and nothing but the truth to George Mitchell or be threatened with suspension.
"The blind soldier fought for me in this war. The least I can do now is fight for him. I have eyes. He hasn’t. I have a voice on the radio, he hasn’t. I was born a white man. And until a colored man is a full citizen, like me, I haven’t the leisure to enjoy the freedom that colored man risked his life to maintain for me. I don’t own what I have until he owns an equal share of it. Until somebody beats me and blinds me, I am in his debt."- Orson Welles August 11, 1946
Old 06-21-2007, 10:59 AM   #1123
Ksyrup

It would be nice if Selig and the rest of the owners/front office personnel were being compelled to tell the truth about what they knew. I'd really like to hear Selig's explanation for claiming that owners never discussed the issue, when in a newspaper article from around 1993 or so, he was quoted as saying owners had specifically discussed steroids.
Old 06-21-2007, 11:35 AM   #1124
miami_fan
Coordinator

ESPN 1050 in New York is reporting that Girardi has turned down the Oriole job.
Old 06-21-2007, 11:38 AM   #1125
miami_fan
Coordinator

http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/news/story?id=2911691

BALTIMORE -- Joe Girardi has declined an offer from the Baltimore Orioles to become their next manager, his agent, Steve Mandel, told ESPN on Thursday.

Girardi interviewed with the Baltimore Orioles on Tuesday, and ESPN's Peter Gammons reported that the team offered him their vacant managerial job.

The discussions with Girardi came after Baltimore fired Sam Perlozzo after two-plus seasons as manager.

Girardi was a first-time manager last season when he led Florida to a 78-84 record last year, keeping the youthful Marlins in contention until late September.

The former big league catcher was fired at the end of the season following a rift with owner Jeffrey Loria, then was voted NL Manager of the Year -- the first to win the award with a losing record.

A former coach for Yankees manager Joe Torre, Girardi returned to New York this season as a broadcaster for the YES Network.

Meanwhile, as first reported on Monday by ESPN The Magazine's Buster Olney, Andy MacPhail was hired Wednesday as chief operating officer of the Orioles. MacPhail ran both the Cubs and the Twins.

MacPhail and Girardi overlapped in Chicago during MacPhail's tenure as Cubs president, which began in 1994 and ended in 2006. Girardi was a Cub for two stints totaling six seasons, the last from 2000-02.

Buster Olney is a senior writer for ESPN The Magazine. Information from The Associated Press was used in this report.
Old 06-21-2007, 11:45 AM   #1126
spleen1015
Coordinator

I don't blame him. The Orioles haven't been the Orioles since Angelos bought the team and ruined it.
spleen1015 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2007, 11:49 AM   #1127
Logan
Head Coach

Wise decision. Terrible owner and two premier teams in the division.
Logan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2007, 12:11 PM   #1128
Ksyrup

Ha!
Old 06-21-2007, 07:05 PM   #1129
Chief Rum
Hall Of Famer

Quote:

Not so many variables, KSyrup. It's actually pretty simple. Only the third player in baseball history (apparently) to collect six hits and get the game-winning hit.

Last player was some guy named Jack Norbert or Northrup or something like that, with the Tigers in '69.

I don't know who the third is. My bro told me he heard on an ESPN radio update that it had only happened three total times.
Old 06-21-2007, 07:08 PM   #1130
JPhillips
Hall Of Famer

SPeculation around here is that Girardi turned down the O's because he thinks he's going to get the Yankees job whenever Torre is fired.
Old 06-21-2007, 07:50 PM   #1131
terpkristin
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
SPeculation around here is that Girardi turned down the O's because he thinks he's going to get the Yankees job whenever Torre is fired.

That was my first thought when I read the news earlier today.

/tk
terpkristin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2007, 08:02 PM   #1132
Logan
Head Coach

It's basically been guaranteed to Mattingly.

My guess is he took the interview knowing all the positives (great baseball city, great history, etc) and hoping to hear that the main negative (ownership) wouldn't be such a negative if he took over. Didn't like what he heard and passed.
Logan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2007, 08:14 PM   #1133
henry296
College Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by dawgfan View Post
In case you start noticing flying pigs, dogs and cats living together and a cool chill rising from hell, be aware that Jeff Weaver pitched a 4-hit shutout tonight against Pittsburgh, striking out 5 and walking 2 for a game score of 82.

Does it really count since it was against the Pirates, who might be the worst hitting team in baseball
Old 06-21-2007, 11:29 PM   #1134
Ksyrup

Quote:

Congratulations. It appears that Jeff Weaver is at least the equal of King Felix, if not slightly better, judging by tonight's result.
Old 06-22-2007, 06:48 AM   #1135
Ksyrup

Here's some good company:

Four of their last five shutouts have come against Kyle Lohse, Kameron Loe, Weaver and Hernandez, who were a combined 5-22 until they got well against Pittsburgh.
Old 06-22-2007, 12:50 PM   #1136
Ksyrup

Maroth traded to the Cardinals.

I would have at least waited to see how Kenny Rogers pitches tonight...

Still waiting to see what they got in return.
Old 06-22-2007, 01:46 PM   #1137
Fonzie
Pro Rookie

Quote:
Maroth traded to the Cardinals.

I would have at least waited to see how Kenny Rogers pitches tonight...

Still waiting to see what they got in return.

Oh good lord. Maroth?

Walt, what are you doing? I hope you didn't give up more than a bag of balls for him.

I guess I'll have to hope Maroth is one of those veterans that Dave Duncan can work miracles with.
Fonzie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2007, 02:28 PM   #1138
dawgfan
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Here's some good company:

Four of their last five shutouts have come against Kyle Lohse, Kameron Loe, Weaver and Hernandez, who were a combined 5-22 until they got well against Pittsburgh.
Felix actually didn't pitch much different than he has been since he came back from the DL - it's just that the Pirates were in hack mode and Felix's BABiP numbers are starting to regress to the mean. It seems like every mistake Felix has made has been getting hammered, and his BABiP rate reflects that perception (.374).

So, yeah - it's nice Felix pitched 8 scoreless innings, but as the Enhanced Gameday data shows, he really didn't pitch any differently than he has been recently (and worse than his opening 2 starts).

There's been some interesting analysis of him based off that Enhanced Gameday data that seems to show that he's lost velocity off his fastball and break off his 2-seamer and slider since his 1st start. The suspicion is he's either still hurt or he's holding back a touch for fear of re-injuring himself (not fully finishing his pitches).
dawgfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2007, 02:52 PM   #1139
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chief Rum View Post
Last player was some guy named Jack Norbert or Northrup or something like that, with the Tigers in '69.

That would probably have to be Jim Northrup, who spent most of his 12 year MLB career with the Tigers. He also tripled in a couple of runs that proved to be the eventual game-winners over the Cardinals in Game 7 of the '68 World Series.

http://www.baseball-reference.com/n/northji01.shtml
Old 06-22-2007, 02:53 PM   #1140
Ksyrup

Quote:
and his BABiP rate reflects that perception (.374).

Yeah, that'll do it!
Old 06-22-2007, 09:38 PM   #1141
MrBug708
Head Coach

Tejada's consecutive streak of games played ended at 1,152
MrBug708 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2007, 09:53 PM   #1142
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

And the Braves streak of consecutive scoreless innings reaches 28 & counting.
Old 06-22-2007, 10:14 PM   #1143
Ksyrup

In addition to the Maroth trade today, I didn't realize the Tigers also dealt Wilfredo Ledezma to Atlanta for Macay McBride on Wednesday.

Last edited by Ksyrup : 06-22-2007 at 10:14 PM.
Old 06-23-2007, 02:16 AM   #1144
k0ruptr
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by henry296 View Post
Does it really count since it was against the Pirates, who might be the worst hitting team in baseball

close, but I am pretty sure that team is the chisox.
Old 06-23-2007, 06:35 PM   #1145
Atocep
Coordinator

ARod homers in the 9th to tie the game against the Giants. I really wish he'd go back to not being a true yankee.
Atocep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2007, 06:42 PM   #1146
DeToxRox
Head Coach

Justin Verlander continues his June dominace vs Atlanta, going 7, allowing 1 ER, 4 H 2 BB and K'ing 11. He's now 4-0 in June, allowed 4 ER, 16 hits, 10 walks and K'd 35 in 29 IP.

With one more start this month (vs Texas) Verlander all but has assured himself AL Pitcher of the Month.
DeToxRox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2007, 02:20 PM   #1147
MikeVic
Head Coach

Boo! Stupid Rockies Baker.
Old 06-24-2007, 06:27 PM   #1148
sterlingice
Hall Of Famer

The Royals salvage the third game against the Brewers (it's always salvage when you win the 3rd game, too- one of those in the long list of baseball cliches). This evens their June record at 11-11 with only 5 games to go. Unfortunately, three are against the best team in the league (Anaheim) and then 2 against the White Sox. If they do manage to go 3-2, it will be their first winning month since 2003

SI

Last edited by sterlingice : 06-24-2007 at 06:27 PM.
Old 06-24-2007, 11:44 PM   #1149
Chief Rum
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by sterlingice View Post
The Royals salvage the third game against the Brewers (it's always salvage when you win the 3rd game, too- one of those in the long list of baseball cliches). This evens their June record at 11-11 with only 5 games to go. Unfortunately, three are against the best team in the league (Anaheim) and then 2 against the White Sox. If they do manage to go 3-2, it will be their first winning month since 2003

SI

Well, but you have played us well this year.
Old 06-25-2007, 12:56 AM   #1150
larrymcg421
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeToxRox View Post
Justin Verlander continues his June dominace vs Atlanta, going 7, allowing 1 ER, 4 H 2 BB and K'ing 11. He's now 4-0 in June, allowed 4 ER, 16 hits, 10 walks and K'd 35 in 29 IP.

With one more start this month (vs Texas) Verlander all but has assured himself AL Pitcher of the Month.

Not to take anything away from Verlander, but I think my mom could shut out the Braves right now.

Franchise Portfolio Draft Winner
Fictional Character Draft Winner
Television Family Draft Winner
Build Your Own Hollywood Studio Draft Winner
larrymcg421 is offline   Reply With Quote