Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Main Forums > Baseball Text-Based Sims
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 04-28-2007, 09:00 PM   #1101
Atocep
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Godzilla Blitz View Post
Stories like these make me wonder if it's a vocal minority that is complaining and a quiet majority that is simply playing the game and having a great time.

I'm having fun with the game, despite its flaws. Its, IMO, a big step forward in terms of what the game is capable of doing, Markus just needs to focus on the actual game now instead of adding more features. We'll see if he focuses on the engine, roster management, and some more UI tweaks for next version as he should.

I prefer fictional leagues and I think this version is fantastic for that. I love the number of options available for league creation, its a huge plus for me. I set up a 20-team league with 1 level of minors and a 30-team college feeder league. I'm getting a good amount of immersion with my only real issue being the issues with the minors that have been mentioned earlier.

Much, much more fun with this version and I'll probably be playing the game off and on throughout the season.
Atocep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2007, 09:30 PM   #1102
markprior22
High School Varsity

Quote:
Originally Posted by RainMaker View Post
Perhaps. But sales are down and the boards are dead. My guess is that people just didn't bother.

I've been playing at least a couple hours per day since it came out. I play a league mirroring real MLB teams, divisions, etc but with fictional players. It's not perfect by any means, but I personally am enjoying it very much.
markprior22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2007, 09:30 PM   #1103
BYU 14
Coordinator

Quote:
Perhaps. But sales are down and the boards are dead. My guess is that people just didn't bother.

I think sales will be steadier during the Season than they were for '06, especially after the final patch.......just speculation as we don't know actual figures. I am not surprised it is taking some time to get some previous customers back in the fold....hopefully they do come back as I think this is a huge step up after last year and I am having a blast doing historical sims, which were woefully inadequate in '06.
BYU 14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2007, 09:51 PM   #1104
Izulde
Head Coach

I bought OOTP 2K7 because it had actual expansion in it along with some other things that appealed to me and I thought I could get the hang of the interface after a while.

After about a week of putzing around, I went back to 6.51. 6.51 has an extremely elegant, clean interface, sleek and slick like The Great Gatsby. OOTP 2K7, on the other hand, is The Beautiful and the Damned, a sprawling morass that might have some merits in it, but the thing's just such a tortured slogfest it's not worth the effort.

Rookie Writer of the Year
Dynasty of the Year: May Our Reign Be Green and Golden (CK Dynasty)
Izulde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2007, 10:20 PM   #1105
PilotMan
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by Izulde View Post
I bought OOTP 2K7 because it had actual expansion in it along with some other things that appealed to me and I thought I could get the hang of the interface after a while.

After about a week of putzing around, I went back to 6.51. 6.51 has an extremely elegant, clean interface, sleek and slick like The Great Gatsby. OOTP 2K7, on the other hand, is The Beautiful and the Damned, a sprawling morass that might have some merits in it, but the thing's just such a tortured slogfest it's not worth the effort.

I couldn't disagree more. While I like the 6.5 game, this truely is on another level. I love where the game is going. It is with out a doubt the most ambitious and all-encompassing baseball sim on the market. The level of detail is welcome and the navigation more streamlined than it could have been. It makes 6.5 look like an old version of Baseball Mogul.

Like Steam?
Join the FOFC Steam group here: http://steamcommunity.com/groups/FOFConSteam

PilotMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2007, 10:43 PM   #1106
RainMaker
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by PilotMan View Post
I couldn't disagree more. While I like the 6.5 game, this truely is on another level. I love where the game is going. It is with out a doubt the most ambitious and all-encompassing baseball sim on the market. The level of detail is welcome and the navigation more streamlined than it could have been. It makes 6.5 look like an old version of Baseball Mogul.
But the roster management AI is worse in 2007 than it ever was in 6.51. To some, that's the most important aspect of the game, not building some feeder league in Guam.
RainMaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2007, 10:51 PM   #1107
RainMaker
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by BYU 14 View Post
I think sales will be steadier during the Season than they were for '06, especially after the final patch.......just speculation as we don't know actual figures. I am not surprised it is taking some time to get some previous customers back in the fold....hopefully they do come back as I think this is a huge step up after last year and I am having a blast doing historical sims, which were woefully inadequate in '06.
Five of the guys I was in an online league with who are avid OOTP guys have not purchased because of no rosters. I guess one tried to contact someone at SI in the offseason as he was willing to help them with them, but made no headway. Since they are league guys who like to play with today's rosters, OOTP 2007 doesn't have much value to them. I think if the rosters come out by the all-star break, they'll have a nice upkick in sales.
Old 04-28-2007, 10:54 PM   #1108
Atocep
Coordinator

Quote:
But the roster management AI is worse in 2007 than it ever was in 6.51. To some, that's the most important aspect of the game, not building some feeder league in Guam.

Yes, but people act like 6.51 was an out the box release. It had to be patched to the point it was at. OOTP 6 was solid out the box, but far from perfect.

Last edited by Atocep : 04-28-2007 at 10:55 PM.
Old 04-28-2007, 11:03 PM   #1109
RainMaker
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atocep View Post
Yes, but people act like 6.51 was an out the box release. It had to be patched to the point it was at. OOTP 6 was solid out the box, but far from perfect.

It depends on what kind of player you are. If you're into being a GM and playing the game against computer teams, it's not as good as 6.51. If you're into global leagues and not focusing too much on the transaction details, 2007 is better.

To me, AI trumps all in baseball games. I don't care if I can build a 120 team league in Belize if the computer doesn't realize that they shouldn't realize their 19 year old phenom prospect.
Old 04-28-2007, 11:14 PM   #1110
Cringer
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Five of the guys I was in an online league with who are avid OOTP guys have not purchased because of no rosters. I guess one tried to contact someone at SI in the offseason as he was willing to help them with them, but made no headway. Since they are league guys who like to play with today's rosters, OOTP 2007 doesn't have much value to them. I think if the rosters come out by the all-star break, they'll have a nice upkick in sales.

Guess I am in such a different place in the sim game world then some. To completely put off a game for the reason of real rosters seems like such a stupid thing to me. How I read this is they couldn't possibly like playing the game with or without real players, all they want is to make believe they are controlling real players and somehow get off on that.....

To each his own I guess....
Old 04-28-2007, 11:25 PM   #1111
Swaggs
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Godzilla Blitz View Post
Stories like these make me wonder if it's a vocal minority that is complaining and a quiet majority that is simply playing the game and having a great time.

I don't regret buying the game and, when I play computer games, it is the game I most look forward to play. If you are into fictional leagues, I think it is ready to go for you and that you will enjoy it. I ran a fictional league as a type of self-tutorial for quite a few seasons and enjoyed it quite a bit, but then I semi-ruined it by expanding and losing a disproportionate amount of players in relation to the other teams in the league.

My main frustration was in trying to set up a league that includes the MLB history/universe, where I can take off into the future. But it seems like I had to make a lot of correct choices, at the appropriate times (and on the appropriate screens) in order to get things the way I envision them.

I think it would be a great tool to create a fictional online league with and, if you are into fictional play, you can have some fun with it right now.
Swaggs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2007, 11:46 PM   #1112
RainMaker
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cringer View Post
Guess I am in such a different place in the sim game world then some. To completely put off a game for the reason of real rosters seems like such a stupid thing to me. How I read this is they couldn't possibly like playing the game with or without real players, all they want is to make believe they are controlling real players and somehow get off on that.....

I guess so. Those idiots at EA who spent hundreds of millions on an exclusive NFL license when only stupid people actually want to play with real players.
Old 04-28-2007, 11:47 PM   #1113
Atocep
Coordinator

Quote:
It depends on what kind of player you are. If you're into being a GM and playing the game against computer teams, it's not as good as 6.51. If you're into global leagues and not focusing too much on the transaction details, 2007 is better.

To me, AI trumps all in baseball games. I don't care if I can build a 120 team league in Belize if the computer doesn't realize that they shouldn't realize their 19 year old phenom prospect.

You missed my point. OOTP 6.51 was not the out of the box release of that version. OOTP 6 was released and had to be patched to 6.51. It took several patches to get there. To compare and unfinished product to a finished product is unfair.

Now, I doubt 2k7 will ever reach the point where it's roster management is as good as 6.51's was, but you have to remember that Markus spent a lot more time working with that code than he has the code thats's been used in 2k6 and 2k7. 6.51 was the pinnacle of that code's evolution. To expect a new code to be on par with it is unfair.
Old 04-28-2007, 11:56 PM   #1114
RainMaker
General Manager

Quote:
You missed my point. OOTP 6.51 was not the out of the box release of that version. OOTP 6 was released and had to be patched to 6.51. It took several patches to get there. To compare and unfinished product to a finished product is unfair.

Now, I doubt 2k7 will ever reach the point where it's roster management is as good as 6.51's was, but you have to remember that Markus spent a lot more time working with that code than he has the code thats's been used in 2k6 and 2k7. 6.51 was the pinnacle of that code's evolution. To expect a new code to be on par with it is unfair.

Well I hope no company is selling an un-finished product. And I apologize for thinking a game that came out 4 years ago should be at a lower level than one that just came out.
Old 04-29-2007, 12:14 AM   #1115
Atocep
Coordinator

Quote:
Well I hope no company is selling an un-finished product. And I apologize for thinking a game that came out 4 years ago should be at a lower level than one that just came out.

Name one PC game that you can recall not being patched at some point. Espececially text sims.

Text sims are largely 1-man shows. You can't expect a finished product out of the box and if you do you're constantly setting yourself up for disappointment. If Markus had decided OOTP 6 was finished, there never would have been a 6.51. When you completely redesign code for a game some areas are going to take a step backwards. Its a given.

We're fortunate to have access to the developer of the games we buy and able to make suggestions for improvements and point out bugs. At the same time its good to have developers like Jim, Markus, Gary, and the many others that listen to these suggestions and offer multiple updates for the game.

The only thing you can do is decide if you wish to support a certan developer and accept their games for what they are while offering suggestions to improve the game and helping squash bugs. If you're a fan of text sims, its something you have to learn to deal with.

Last edited by Atocep : 04-29-2007 at 12:15 AM.
Old 04-29-2007, 07:27 AM   #1116
cougarfreak
College Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by PilotMan View Post

Agree Pilotman. You have to play the game for a bit (week of so) to get the hang of the UI, or if you've played FM it's pretty much a snap. I like the game, there are some improvements that can be made and I hope to see some in a patch. My biggest wish after a perfect AI (which will never be accomplished), is a good in game schedule generator. Heck, I'd take an incarnaction of stickware scheduler, the in game one is horrific.
cougarfreak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2007, 08:04 AM   #1117
lynchjm24
College Benchwarmer

I played pretty much all day. I play fictional solo leagues, and there are some really good things in the game.

That being said there are many things I can't stand. I can't stand the scouting interface and execution. I am finding I enjoy the game more when I turn off the smiley faces and the 'personalities'. I am also finding that the AI doesn't make nearly as many bad decisions when I do that.

I just don't know if turning things off even works. If you click in to the html player cards even with morale off you can see the player's morale, so it's still tracked.

I think the major reason this game isn't selling to SI's goals is that it must be nearly impossible for a new player to pick up this game. If you don't have an OOTP or FM background it must be completely overwhelming to try. I still can't find things in game, for example I have no idea how to figure out who my pending free agents are.
lynchjm24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2007, 09:01 AM   #1118
Cringer
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
I guess so. Those idiots at EA who spent hundreds of millions on an exclusive NFL license when only stupid people actually want to play with real players.

EA, the great text sim company?

Apples and oranges.
Old 04-29-2007, 10:11 AM   #1119
Sweed
College Benchwarmer

Quote:
Originally Posted by lynchjm24 View Post
I think the major reason this game isn't selling to SI's goals is that it must be nearly impossible for a new player to pick up this game. If you don't have an OOTP or FM background it must be completely overwhelming to try. I still can't find things in game, for example I have no idea how to figure out who my pending free agents are.

So how do they sell FM to new players? If they don't have a EHM or OOTP background it must be overwhelming?

The first SI game I bought was FM (before OOTP v2006 came out) so the UI was totally new to me much like ootp's UI is to any new players. A lot to look at and learn? yes. Overwhelming? No, I don't think so. Really no different than any somewhat complex game I have bought. It took me much longer to learn the rules of "football" and how rosters are managed in the EPL than it did to learn the UI.

And your pending FA are under the "front office" tab on your teams screen
I don't use this screen a lot though preferring to set up my own views showing me more categories. This lets me see all of their service time, years pro, etc all on one screen and sort accordingly. Becomes easy to sort by days of service and know absolutely who will qualify for FA, arbitration etc.
Sweed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2007, 10:12 AM   #1120
dcg12
n00b

I think the major reason this game isn't selling to SI's goals is that it must be nearly impossible for a new player to pick up this game. If you don't have an OOTP or FM background it must be completely overwhelming to try. I still can't find things in game, for example I have no idea how to figure out who my pending free agents are.[/quote]

Front office screen>two tabs at top>finances is default click pending free agents.
dcg12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2007, 11:59 AM   #1121
Swaggs
Coordinator

Quote:
I played pretty much all day. I play fictional solo leagues, and there are some really good things in the game.

That being said there are many things I can't stand. I can't stand the scouting interface and execution. I am finding I enjoy the game more when I turn off the smiley faces and the 'personalities'. I am also finding that the AI doesn't make nearly as many bad decisions when I do that.

I just don't know if turning things off even works. If you click in to the html player cards even with morale off you can see the player's morale, so it's still tracked.

I am curious to hear about your dislike of the scouting system?

I look at it as a type of "fog of war," and really enjoy it. Each team has six scouts available, so I continuously assign two of them to scout the league and/or my organization, so that I have a pretty good sample size to give me the best idea of a players' abilities. There is also a screen that gives you the average of all of your scout's opinions on players.

If you don't like that, I believe you can turn scouts off, so that may help. I generally turned scouts/coaches off in previous versions of OOTP, but I enjoy the personnel management in this version, so I have kept it on and enjoy it.

A compromise that might help you would be to make the scouting reports ratings from 1-10, so the variability will be a bit less visible and perhaps annoy you less. I always keep mine on 1-10, since that is what we use in most online leagues I have been in, so it is easier for me that way, but I find it keeps me from fixating on the difference between, say a contact rating of 71 and 78, as they would both appear as a rating of "8" on the 1-10 scale. And, with that, you give yourself a little extra challenge in having to determine who is going to be better between two players with similar ratings.
Old 04-29-2007, 12:00 PM   #1122
Swaggs
Coordinator

By the way, does anyone know what the "bench coach" does? Does he add some type of support to the manager or does he just give you a position to groom a new manager/keep a reserve manager on staff?
Old 04-29-2007, 01:50 PM   #1123
cougarfreak
College Starter

Now I will say.............I have never played with scouts on. For me, I don't see the point. There are so many reports on players in real life that I can't imagine not having ratings on players.
Old 04-29-2007, 03:59 PM   #1124
lynchjm24
College Benchwarmer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Swaggs View Post
I am curious to hear about your dislike of the scouting system?

I look at it as a type of "fog of war," and really enjoy it. Each team has six scouts available, so I continuously assign two of them to scout the league and/or my organization, so that I have a pretty good sample size to give me the best idea of a players' abilities. There is also a screen that gives you the average of all of your scout's opinions on players.

If you don't like that, I believe you can turn scouts off, so that may help. I generally turned scouts/coaches off in previous versions of OOTP, but I enjoy the personnel management in this version, so I have kept it on and enjoy it.

A compromise that might help you would be to make the scouting reports ratings from 1-10, so the variability will be a bit less visible and perhaps annoy you less. I always keep mine on 1-10, since that is what we use in most online leagues I have been in, so it is easier for me that way, but I find it keeps me from fixating on the difference between, say a contact rating of 71 and 78, as they would both appear as a rating of "8" on the 1-10 scale. And, with that, you give yourself a little extra challenge in having to determine who is going to be better between two players with similar ratings.

Oh I turn them off.

I wouldn't mind something that was easy to use. It's just so much work to use scouts that I can't be bothered with it. I'd like to just have ratings through my scouts eyes without me actually having to tell them what teams to look at. I don't need 6 scouts with personalities... just non exact ratings would be a nice simple way to actually enjoy it as a game.

As for the ratings scale I have always played 1-10 before this version. I found that the players were so lumped together though that I went to 1-20 and so far I like that better.
lynchjm24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2007, 06:16 PM   #1125
Young Drachma
Dark Cloud

Quote:
Name one PC game that you can recall not being patched at some point. Espececially text sims.

Text sims are largely 1-man shows. You can't expect a finished product out of the box and if you do you're constantly setting yourself up for disappointment. If Markus had decided OOTP 6 was finished, there never would have been a 6.51. When you completely redesign code for a game some areas are going to take a step backwards. Its a given.

We're fortunate to have access to the developer of the games we buy and able to make suggestions for improvements and point out bugs. At the same time its good to have developers like Jim, Markus, Gary, and the many others that listen to these suggestions and offer multiple updates for the game.

The only thing you can do is decide if you wish to support a certan developer and accept their games for what they are while offering suggestions to improve the game and helping squash bugs. If you're a fan of text sims, its something you have to learn to deal with.

Glad you said it. I'm always saying that say what you want about these games, EA Sports doesn't give a damn what you think about their games, what you want and all they're going to do is release essentially the same product each year for more than what we pay for these games and rather than releases patches, they just release their fixes in new versions.

So...having this sort of access to developers in my mind, is the only reason I'm hooked so much on text sims. Because they offer a lot for us cerebral types and we get unparalleled access to impact where the game goes.
Old 04-30-2007, 01:01 AM   #1126
Swaggs
Coordinator

Quote:
Oh I turn them off.

I wouldn't mind something that was easy to use. It's just so much work to use scouts that I can't be bothered with it. I'd like to just have ratings through my scouts eyes without me actually having to tell them what teams to look at. I don't need 6 scouts with personalities... just non exact ratings would be a nice simple way to actually enjoy it as a game.

As for the ratings scale I have always played 1-10 before this version. I found that the players were so lumped together though that I went to 1-20 and so far I like that better.

You might enjoy giving the scouts a try. They can be a pain/overwhelming at first, but once you assign them some tasks, you can pretty much set them on autopilot and they will file their reports at scheduled intervals and, as an enjoyable aside, you can send a few to scout for new talent in different areas and pick up some undrafted signees. Find and signing undiscovered talent is a nice touch for me, as it it makes OOTP2007 go from a strict sim to more of a game.
Old 04-30-2007, 01:11 AM   #1127
Atocep
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Swaggs View Post
You might enjoy giving the scouts a try. They can be a pain/overwhelming at first, but once you assign them some tasks, you can pretty much set them on autopilot and they will file their reports at scheduled intervals and, as an enjoyable aside, you can send a few to scout for new talent in different areas and pick up some undrafted signees. Find and signing undiscovered talent is a nice touch for me, as it it makes OOTP2007 go from a strict sim to more of a game.

I agree.

I turned off scouting in 2k6, but with the new scouting automation it takes a lot of the tedium out of it. I usually keep 5 scouts, set 3 of them to cycle through organizations and the other 2 to scout different countries.

It allows me to keep the fog of war without forcing me to micromanage a very boring part of the game.
Old 04-30-2007, 06:01 AM   #1128
Marc Duffy
SI Games

Quote:
Not sure who you refer too. I was in contact with everyone who showed an interest. These guys had code since December.
Marc Duffy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2007, 12:23 PM   #1129
Young Drachma
Dark Cloud

I think the roster set complaints are overblown. I mean, I can't see how it'd be HARDER to make a roster for this year's version than for past OOTPs. I started to make one and then I got busy again and stopped. It's tedious and something of a pain.

But...I think if the collective energy of those who were complaining about it was funneled into making a roster set, it'd have been done by now. I don't really need them, because the databases work for me fine.

And I can understand the desire from just someone who wants to fire the game up and go. But it's not like there aren't other options out there. Those boards are so cluttered now, it was bad before..but it's just awful now.
Young Drachma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2007, 12:55 PM   #1130
Ksyrup
This guy has posted so much, his fingers are about to fall off.

FWIW, I have done my best to put aside all of my issues with the UI, nonsensical design issues, questionable "under the hood" decision-making, and other personal gameplay issues, and I'm enjoying the game. I'm progressing through what I hope will be a century-long GM stint with the Tigers. At times, it is addicting more than exhausting, which is a good thing.

Unfortunately, as with several previous OOTPs, the overall concept is way ahead of the implementation. That was OK with OOTP 3-6, and I understand that with the move from indie developer to SI, Markus had to start over and reinvent the game to some extent, but at some point, Markus needs to find a happy medium, stop with the overhauls and adding bells and whistles, and just perfect what he's created. And if that means not putting out a game next year because not enough is being added to justify us paying another $35, then so be it. I think in the long haul, we will all be better off that way.

And really, this game doesn't need to be a yearly release. Many of us are stuck in the past anyway, and if all there is to the game is creating current roster sets, surely someon can crank out a 2008 roster set by March of next year, right? RIGHT?!
M's pitcher Miguel Batista: "Now, I feel like I've had everything. I've talked pitching with Sandy Koufax, had Kenny G play for me. Maybe if I could have an interview with God, then I'd be served. I'd be complete."
Ksyrup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2007, 01:08 PM   #1131
Ksyrup

So I'm in 1910 and in the process of transitioning my starting rotation from older guys who are starting to lose it to a few younger guys, and I offer Bill Donovan around to see what I can get. Washington offers Walter Johnson. But wait! Before you roll your eyes, The Big Train is now just a 22-year old MR, having suffered a dead arm injury that took him from ROTY in 1907 to out of the rotation 3 years later. His rating went from 3/10/7 to 2/10/6, and his potentials are 1/10/1. I don't even need a MR, but I couldn't resist, so I packaged Donovan and a minor league LF for Johnson, a minor league CF and C. Maybe his arm will come back...?!
M's pitcher Miguel Batista: "Now, I feel like I've had everything. I've talked pitching with Sandy Koufax, had Kenny G play for me. Maybe if I could have an interview with God, then I'd be served. I'd be complete."
Old 04-30-2007, 02:10 PM   #1132
Young Drachma
Dark Cloud

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ksyrup View Post
FWIW, I have done my best to put aside all of my issues with the UI, nonsensical design issues, questionable "under the hood" decision-making, and other personal gameplay issues, and I'm enjoying the game. I'm progressing through what I hope will be a century-long GM stint with the Tigers. At times, it is addicting more than exhausting, which is a good thing.

Unfortunately, as with several previous OOTPs, the overall concept is way ahead of the implementation. That was OK with OOTP 3-6, and I understand that with the move from indie developer to SI, Markus had to start over and reinvent the game to some extent, but at some point, Markus needs to find a happy medium, stop with the overhauls and adding bells and whistles, and just perfect what he's created. And if that means not putting out a game next year because not enough is being added to justify us paying another $35, then so be it. I think in the long haul, we will all be better off that way.

And really, this game doesn't need to be a yearly release. Many of us are stuck in the past anyway, and if all there is to the game is creating current roster sets, surely someon can crank out a 2008 roster set by March of next year, right? RIGHT?!

Agreed with all of this. This game doesn't need to be a yearly release. Especially with this latest release.
Old 04-30-2007, 02:12 PM   #1133
Young Drachma
Dark Cloud

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cringer View Post

QFT
Old 04-30-2007, 02:14 PM   #1134
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

I have a question about free agent personel. When are they available?

I have no coaches and everytime I go to the personel list there is no one listed?

when is the right time to sign them?
Lathum is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2007, 02:15 PM   #1135
Young Drachma
Dark Cloud

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lathum View Post
I have a question about free agent personel. When are they available?

I have no coaches and everytime I go to the personel list there is no one listed?

when is the right time to sign them?

Usually in the off-season. If for some reason enough haven't been generated, then I usually just create more. Which is kinda a pain. I wish that you could automatically take former players and turn them into personnel.
Old 04-30-2007, 02:19 PM   #1136
Ksyrup

How do I take someone off of the trading block? I can't figure it out.
Old 04-30-2007, 02:28 PM   #1137
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dark Cloud View Post
Usually in the off-season. If for some reason enough haven't been generated, then I usually just create more. Which is kinda a pain. I wish that you could automatically take former players and turn them into personnel.

how do i create more?
Old 04-30-2007, 02:29 PM   #1138
Young Drachma
Dark Cloud

Quote:
How do I take someone off of the trading block? I can't figure it out.

Team Home Page -->Transactions tab --> and click on one of the drop down screens to get to "Players on the Trading Block"

Last edited by Young Drachma : 04-30-2007 at 02:35 PM.
Old 04-30-2007, 02:30 PM   #1139
Young Drachma
Dark Cloud

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lathum View Post
how do i create more?

Lemme open the game and look. I don't remember the exactly verbage.
Old 04-30-2007, 02:34 PM   #1140
Young Drachma
Dark Cloud

Ok, to create new personnel go to:

MLB (or whatever your league is called) ---> Free Agents ---> click on the "Available Personnel" tab and on the bottom right, you'll see "Create Fictional" for whatever you want to create, a doctor, scout, manager or bench coach, hitting, etc.
Old 04-30-2007, 02:37 PM   #1141
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

thx
Old 04-30-2007, 02:50 PM   #1142
Ksyrup

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dark Cloud View Post
Team Home Page -->Transactions tab --> and click on one of the drop down screens to get to "Players on the Trading Block"

I see. So I can only change the people on my trading block from my team's transactions screen, where the trading block is hidden as a drop-down screen, but I can't also drop-and-drag my guys from the trading block on the league transaction page, where the trading block is easy to find.

I'm....OK. Really, I am.
Old 04-30-2007, 02:55 PM   #1143
Young Drachma
Dark Cloud

Yeah, I admit it's pretty stupid.
Old 04-30-2007, 02:56 PM   #1144
markprior22
High School Varsity

I'm at work so I can't check this right now but can't you right click on the player you want to remove from the trading block and remove him from there?
markprior22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2007, 03:03 PM   #1145
Ksyrup

Quote:
Originally Posted by markprior22 View Post
I'm at work so I can't check this right now but can't you right click on the player you want to remove from the trading block and remove him from there?

Nope. That was my first option. But all I can do is set status to "available, untouchable, or on the block." And even though a guy may already be there, it doesn't give you the "negative" option to remove the guy from that status. I assume it's the same for all 3 status options.

Last edited by Ksyrup : 04-30-2007 at 03:04 PM.
Old 04-30-2007, 03:28 PM   #1146
SirFozzie
Hall Of Famer

Available I believe is the default status.
Old 04-30-2007, 03:41 PM   #1147
cougarfreak
College Starter

Quote:
I see. So I can only change the people on my trading block from my team's transactions screen, where the trading block is hidden as a drop-down screen, but I can't also drop-and-drag my guys from the trading block on the league transaction page, where the trading block is easy to find.

I'm....OK. Really, I am.

You can do it from the action menu on each players profile as well.
Old 04-30-2007, 03:46 PM   #1148
cougarfreak
College Starter

Quote:
Nope. That was my first option. But all I can do is set status to "available, untouchable, or on the block." And even though a guy may already be there, it doesn't give you the "negative" option to remove the guy from that status. I assume it's the same for all 3 status options.

Wouldn't changing the status take him off the block?
Old 04-30-2007, 03:51 PM   #1149
Ksyrup

Quote:
Originally Posted by cougarfreak View Post
You can do it from the action menu on each players profile as well.

No, you can't. That's what I explained above. When a guy is on the trading block, you get the same "set status to on the block" option that you have when a guy isn't on the block. I just tried to take a guy off the block by trying that option, and it doesn't work. You can only put a guy on the block (or make him available or untouchable) from the action screen. To remove the person from any of those statuses (?), apparently you have to go to the transaction screen, change one of the drop-down menus to either trading block or untouchables (note: how would we remove someone from the "available" list?), and drag-and-drop them off of that list.

But don't forget - you have to then change that drop-down back to whatever it was before (DL, DFA, etc.), because it is now stuck on that screen.

Like I've said, the easy with which this game allows you to play is really unparalleled in the text sim universe.

Last edited by Ksyrup : 04-30-2007 at 03:54 PM.
Old 04-30-2007, 03:53 PM   #1150
Ksyrup

Quote:
Originally Posted by cougarfreak View Post
Wouldn't changing the status take him off the block?

NO!!!! There's only one status - On the block. When a guy is on the block, trying to change his status on that screen DOES NOT WORK. It appears to be a one-way street, as ridiculous as that may seem. I just tried it again, and the guy is still on the block.